Jump to content
    Mawgrim
  • Author
  • 1,031 Words
  • 884 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Mawgrim's Prompts - 3. Prompt 884 - The Unfiltered Truth

p> You were tired of finding those close to you were lying and keeping things from you. Your father had created a chemical that forced people to tell the absolute truth. However, once exposed they could never lie again. He refused to it to go out of his hands afraid of the repercussions. You take the chemical and pour it into the local aquifer. What happens when people are now forced to only tell the truth?

Almost as soon as I’d tipped the contents of the phial into the aquifer, I began to regret it. My father’s warnings echoed in my head. ‘If everyone told the truth all the time, Mark, it would be terribly dangerous. We all tell tiny lies every day, just to smooth things over. Imagine if your mother asked me, “Does my bum look big in this dress?” and I said it did. She’d be upset and I’d feel bad. And that’s just a minor example. There could be fights; even murders…’

I was sure he’d been exaggerating. Was telling the truth really that bad? Besides, I wanted to find out if Pete really felt the same way as I did about him. We’d both been skirting around it for too long now, unable to admit our attraction. Coming out in a small town, where everyone knew everyone’s business wouldn’t be easy. But I just had to know.

On my way back, I saw him. He was washing his dad’s car out on the drive. Sunshine made rainbows in the water. I wondered if the chemical had already reached the taps; how long it would take to filter through and how long after that before it began to work?

Pete looked as delectable as ever. It was a warm day and he wore just a pair of swim shorts. His tanned, muscular body had been the subject of my fantasies for a long time. Now I had a few more images to add to the collection. He was oblivious, as ever.

‘Hi,’ he said. ‘Been anywhere exciting?’

‘Not really. Are you doing anything later?’

‘I’ve got a few chores to finish. Maybe you could come over and we can listen to some music, play some games?’

You have no idea what kind of games I’d like to play with you, I thought, but didn’t say anything. ‘Sounds good.’

‘See you later.’

Back inside the house, I went to my room. I had a project to finish and it was best to get it out of the way. Once I’d done, I felt hungry. Mum and Dad were out for the day, but Mum had left some food in the fridge for me. Good, home-cooked, healthy stuff. I didn’t really fancy it. What I craved was a double quarter pounder with cheese and some fries. The local McDonald’s wasn’t far, so I took my bike.

As soon as I got through the door I knew something was up. Most of the customers in the queue were watching as something kicked off at the counter. A rather large woman was shouting angrily at the girl serving her. ‘You can’t call me fat!’ she fumed.

The girl shrugged. ‘I only pointed out that if you eat that many burgers every day you’re going to get even larger than you are already and that maybe you should go for one of our healthy choices instead. It’s common sense.’

Her co-worker, a lanky youth with protruding ears turned to her. ‘Go for it, Trudy,’ he said admiringly. ‘You know, I’ve always liked you. Will you have sex with me in the store cupboard?’

Trudy grimaced. ‘You’re a good friend, Mike, but I wouldn’t have sex with you if you were the last man on earth.’

The crowd sniggered. The woman snatched up her order and wagged her finger. ‘I’ll tell your manager how rude you were, young lady.’

‘Good. Then I might get the sack and not have to do this horrible job any more.’

Could it be starting already? I quickly paid for my own order and got out of there, resolving to only drink from cans or bottles for the next couple of days, or however long it took for the chemical to be flushed from the system. If I drank any of that water, then dad would find out the truth of what I’d done. I wouldn’t be able to lie my way out of it as I usually did. But then, wouldn’t he realise it must have been me, anyway? Who else would know of his invention? I started to get a headache from the complexity of it all. As I cycled back I couldn’t help but notice the number of heated arguments that were going on in the streets. At the used car sales lot, one of the salesman was scrapping with an obviously irate customer. Dad’s prediction was coming true!

I jumped off my bike on our drive. Mr Rogers, our next door neighbour, was leaning over his white picket fence, shaking a fist at Mr Philips, who lived in the next house to him. ‘Yes, all right, I did steal your hedge trimmer,’ he bellowed. ‘But you stole three inches of my garden when you put up this fence, so now we’re even.’

Mr Philips smirked. ‘More than even, mate. I’ve been screwing your wife every time you go away on a business trip.’

Mr Rogers looked even more furious as he kicked the offending fence and attempted to punch his neighbour. ‘You bastard!’ He then considered the situation for a few moments. ‘Mind you, I only go on those trips so I can sleep with my secretary. So I reckon that evens things up again.’

‘I reckon it does.’ Mr Philips shrugged. The argument rapidly de-escalated as the two neighbours obviously came to the same conclusion that neither were perfect.

‘Fancy going down the pub for a beer later?’ Mr Rogers asked.

‘No thanks. I’ve found a brilliant porn site online. Think I’ll just have a wank to that instead until next time you’re away.’

Mr Rogers laughed, then the two went back inside their houses.

‘Hey, Mark!’

I turned to see Pete beckoning me over. He’d put a shirt on, but he still looked sexy as hell. ‘Yeah?’

‘How long have we known each other now?’

‘About a year.’

‘You’re always looking at me.’

‘Well, er…’ I couldn’t admit how I felt about him.

‘It’s all right. I like it. I look at you, too. I jerk off thinking about your body. Wanna come round and have hot sex?’

Maybe this truth thing wasn’t so bad after all?

Copyright © 2021 Mawgrim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 6
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

It is with great sadness I must announce the death of Mawgrim, Promising Author on GA. He had been in declining health for some time and passed away on Christmas Day. Mawgrim worked for decades as a cinema projectionist before his retirement and was able to use this breadth of knowledge to his stories set in cinemas. He also gave us stories with his take on the World of Pern with its dragon riders. He will be greatly missed and our condolences go out to his friends, family, and his husband.
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

In this short piece, I'm only touching on what would almost certainly happen. I suppose once everyone got used to it, things would calm down, but life would never be quite the same again.

  • Like 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
On 5/22/2021 at 6:46 AM, Mawgrim said:

In this short piece, I'm only touching on what would almost certainly happen. I suppose once everyone got used to it, things would calm down, but life would never be quite the same again.

Maybe they would calm down, maybe they wouldn't.  I can imagine some of the religious fanatics and political leaders being really, really no good in such a situation.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

How did I miss this, so telling...

We all tell tiny lies every day, just to smooth things over. Imagine if your mother asked me, “Does my bum look big in this dress?” and I said it did. She’d be upset and I’d feel bad. 

Couldn't even say you like it that way!!!

mean girls fat ass GIF

Edited by drsawzall
  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..