Jump to content

To the Weyr 5. Ninth Pass Pern

   (6 reviews)

Jevikel is the eldest son of a Holder, living at an isolated farmhold on the eastern edge of Bitra. Duty has been drummed into him from birth; he must follow in his father’s footsteps by marrying and raising a family who will do exactly the same in their turn. But when his cousin Kadin arrives at the Hold, he realises he can’t hide his secret feelings any longer.

©1967-2022 Ann McCaffrey, Todd McCaffrey, Gigi McCaffrey; All Rights Reserved; Copyright © 2022 Mawgrim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Classic Author
  • 02/03/2022 (Updated: 09/01/2022)
  • 31 Chapters
  • 125,194 Words
  • 65,123 Views
  • 596 Comments
  • Teen
  • Complete

Story Recommendations (16 members)

  • Action Packed 14
  • Addictive/Pacing 16
  • Characters 15
  • Chills 6
  • Cliffhanger 8
  • Compelling 13
  • Feel-Good 11
  • Humor 7
  • Smoldering 3
  • Tearjerker 5
  • Unique 13
  • World Building 13

Select Chapter
Table of Contents

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Dathi

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

A thoroughly enthralling read, any follower of the Dragon Riders of Pern will feel completely at home here.  A tale  told with a similar energy and verve as Anne McCaffery.  

This story is captivating and can easily lead one to lose track of time and responsibilities, another  mark of an outstanding author.

Read!  Enjoy!  

  • Love 7
Link to review
drsawzall

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

One of the marks of a great author is to quickly capture your interest in a story or a subject you would not cross the street for. Such is the case here. Mawgrim has taken on one of the greatest science fiction stories and cleverly found a way to add, not diminish, to the world of Pern being faithful to the cannon and crux of the world created by Anne McCaffrey. 

Richly told, superb pacing, fantastic character and plot development, will have you binge reading through the chapters.

Start at the beginning of Mawgrim's world of Pern and treat yourself to a wonderful ride! 

  • Like 1
  • Love 7
Link to review
Mrsgnomie

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

Admittedly, in the past, I haven't been much of a Dragon reader. I'm not familiar with Anne McCaffery and her stories, but I really enjoy Mawgrim's take on them. This story kept me coming back!

Jevikel and Kaden have amazing chemistry, which improves any story. The pacing was spot on (not always an easy task. The story itself was crafted masterfully.

If you're not sure, just read it. 

Do it. Now.  

  • Like 3
  • Love 3
Link to review
Doha

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

To the Weyr tells the story of 2 young men who flee an oppressive community, escaping death and establishing new loves at the weyr. 

Jevikel and Kaden are attractive characters who fit together like a hand in a glove. 

The plot moves at a good pace, neither rushed nor sluggish, with each chapter well-crafted leaving us wanting more. 

We are invited into an alternative world where we are entertained, extended and enthralled throughout with laughter and tears along the way.

This is a must read. 

  • Like 6
Link to review
centexhairysub

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

Another wonderful addition to the Pern stories here on this site; I truly find them all amazing and a great tribute to the original series.

This story was especially well done.  The writing and pacing were just first rate all the way through this wonderful story.

We went from a hold where the protagonist father did not believe the fall was coming to Pern again; to his son, albeit without his father's support impressing a dragon.  

There was many adventures and twist and turns in the story; but it came to a more than satisfactory conclusion.

There are a few details that I hope we get to find out in additional stories about some of the issues at the hold before the boys flee.  I believe there was at least one murder that no one really thought was a murder; and would like to see that fully resolved.  

While I do think a reader could read this book without going back and reading all the others; I would suggest at least reading " Gone Away, Gone Ahead ", this is the fourth book in the ninth pass of Pern.  It would be very beneficial to anyone wanting to just drop in on this story to at least have read that one book previously.  

Bravo.

  • Like 1
  • Love 5
Link to review
raven1

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

This is another wonderful tale written beautifully by Mawgrim that fits perfectly in the world first created by Anne McCaffrey.  Mawgrim has filled in many of the gaps of times in the original books by adhering to the cannon.  The vitality and zestful spirit of her characters and situations merge seamlessly with characters first created by McCaffrey.  I can honestly say Mawgrim's stories give me the same thrills and excitement in the exact same Pern I have loved for 5 decades.

  • Like 3
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..