Jump to content
    MericCotton
  • Author
  • 3,170 Words
  • 640 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tomorrow's Shadow - 12. Becoming Prince

Stefano picked at the collar tips of his burgundy silk shirt.” This thing is stiff; it pokes at my neck. And the color. I do not wear colors this dark.”

Gerik looked up from the chair where he sat, slouched with one leg over the arm of the chair.” Viktor says we dress for the prince leaving, not the prince beginning. And the color is fine. Yes, it is subdued, but this whole evening is to be subdued from what I can see.” He raked his eyes slowly over his lover’s form.” Besides, dressed in that ash grey jacket and trousers, you look … delicious.”

“Thank you, but that isn’t helping. I am too agitated to be romantic. Or lustful for that matter.”

Gerik stood and padded barefoot across the room.” Then let me worry about lust.” he said, then slipped slowly to his knees in front of his sire.” I am fairly certain I can get your mind off the ceremony for a minute or two.” Stefano pushed on Gerik’s forehead, shoving him over backwards. As Gerik lay there, looking up at him, Stefano began to chuckle which gradually turned to laughter. The surprised look on Gerik’s face was replaced with an impish grin. “See? It is working already.”

“Incorrigible. Does your sire know you act this way?”

Gerik crawled forward to kneel again in front of Stefano.” He usually encourages it, though of late I think he’s been a bit preoccupied.”

Stefano bent down to give Gerik a light kiss on his cheek. He put his index finger beneath his chylde’s chin and stood straight, coaxing Gerik to stand also. “More than just a ‘bit’, I’m afraid. As much as I would move the stars to be lost in our passions, I’m sure I would feel rushed afterwards which would turn my mood darker still.” He kissed Gerik’s lips briefly. “But I love you for wanting to be here for me. Even with that unnecessary remark about my stamina.”

Gerik arched a brow then began to flush. “Oh, that. Yes. Well. . . it was all part of my grand overall scheme to put you at ease.”

Stefano chuckled again. “Well, it worked. So I’ll let it slip for now. Remind me to disprove your statement when this … thing … is over.”

“Gladly, Stef. Though waiting through the ceremony will now be twice as difficult.”

“Good. You deserve it.” With that, Stefano gave another peck on the lips then sat in one of the overstuffed leather chairs and grabbed one of his boots.

“Here. Let me help.” Gerik moved in front of Stefano and helped him slip on his boots. The second boot was scarcely on when a knock sounded on their door.

“Lord Stefano? Lord Gerik? Overseer Viktor requested I tell you it is almost time and you should be downstairs already.”

Stefano recognized the voice of the young mundain.” Perrin, Tell Viktor that we are coming.”

“Yes, Lord Stefano.”

“Gerik, get dressed. Your feet, straighten your shirt. I do not wish to leave you in our room.”

The younger kindred quickly finished dressing. He opened the door then paused to look back.” You really shouldn’t have lied to Perrin.”

“In what way did I lie?”

Gerik winked. “You told him we were 'coming'. And you know that won’t happen now until after the ceremony. Although I did try.”

Stefano playfully pushed Gerik through the door. “Out. Before I forget my manners and take you here.”

“In truth?” Gerik spun around and began walking backwards, arms open. “I’m ready, sire.”

Stefano shook his head and sighed. He suddenly reached out and grabbed Gerik’s forearm just as his chylde’s foot slipped, unprepared for the top stair.” Now turn around and mind your behavior. Try to remember why we are going through this.”

“Yes, Sire.” Gerik carefully turned to descend the stairs with Stefano following him.

Once downstairs, Gerik walked to the bar while Stefano moved off to the right of the fireplace. The representatives were standing in an arc again, each holding a glass of bloodwyne, though no one was drinking. Vargon stood to the left of the fireplace while Odessa sat in one of the chairs back behind the men who stood before her husband.

Vargon looked at Stefano and smiled. Stefano bowed his head in return. After waiting a few moments longer, Vargon moved to stand in front of the fireplace and looked at the men before him. The room became morgue-silent, an analogy Stefano shoved to the back of his mind to keep from laughing. From his first word, Vargon spoke in the tone of a prince. “We gather this eve at the birth of a new age that rides the wake of the one before. You have all heard it said, time and again, ‘A Prince is for life.’ which, if the Fates allow, means forever.”

A few men chuckled softly.

“There comes a time when every prince should sit back and examine their reign. ‘Is my territory expanding or contracting?’ ‘Do my representatives serve me gladly with honor?’ and most importantly, ‘Do I wish to maintain my realm?’ I say most importantly because a prince who does not hold reign with all their strength and soul, is a prince who must step down. This is not an option to be ignored. It is part of tradition going back to our First Father, indeed, all the way to Lord Cain.” Vargon paused to look around the room and ensure he had everyone’s attention.

“It has been one of my greatest joys to walk this plane as kindred. Greater still to serve you as prince. Yet, as I adhere to the laws of tradition, I find my longing to be prince wanes. It is not from a representative; it is not from land, camp, or kumpania. This has been true since I married Odessa, she holds my heart and my soul now.” He paused to look at his wife, then looked back to the room.

“At the time I wed, my first chylde was not ready to take the responsibility before him now. Since that time, with my instruction, he has become a strong, mature kindred. I no longer have qualms with his taking my place. But, before I proceed, as is also traditional law, I ask if anyone has any cause to doubt Stefano’s ability, or to keep him from being Prince of my territory.”

Vargon stopped and looked around the room for anyone against the ceremony continuing. Stefano kept his gaze on his sire. After several awkward, uncomfortable minutes, Vargon raised his glass. “We proceed in unity, bound together by territory, by region, by love.” He took a sip of his wyne, all the representatives followed suit. Vargon’s eyes shone as he continued. “Stefano, chylde of blood and friend of spirit, will you accept the confidence held by those within my territory?”

For the first time since the ceremony began, Stefano shifted his weight slightly on his feet as he replied. “I am, Lord Prince, protector of all who live under your shadow.”

“Then come forward, my chylde, and take the greatest gift, other than life itself, one can receive.”

Stefano stepped forward and moved in front of Vargon. Standing this close he could now feel the power, authority, and acceptance radiating from his sire. He swallowed hard, hoping he remembered the lines Vargon had taught him. “I accept what is given, my Prince, and ask that you remove any impurities from me so I might reign as you have reigned, in honor and respect for your kindred.” He slowly moved to his knees, his eyes still locked on Vargon.

Vargon’s mouth twitched as if he fought a smile. “I take all and return all to you then, Prince of Shadow, Lord of Kindred, Heir of Vargon, your prince.” Vargon knelt on one knee in front Stefano, grasped both shoulders, and leaned forward. As his chylde tilted his head to the side Vargon injected his fangs, suddenly and without restraint. Stefano hissed in pain but remained steady. He fought the urge to collapse as Vargon removed his teeth and began to drink. Just before he gave in and blacked out, Vargon stopped drinking, licked the wound closed, then stood again.

“Rise, Prince of Shadow. Rise to take your place, to govern in fairness and respect of all, maintaining honor first-most.”

Stefano stood slowly, dizzy but managed to grasp his father’s shoulders. “I take from you the mantle of responsibility and claim you a free and independent kindred.” He almost fell forward but kept himself upright as he punctured the other’s neck and began to drink heavily. His mind slowly came back in focus. Do not drink all. Do not kill. Do not take life. Stop. Stefano shuddered and stopped. He licked the wound to close it then searched Vargon’s eyes for any sign he needed to sit. Seeing only strength and determination echoing back at him, he turned to face the room.

“My kindred. Family in shadow. I accept your approval as Prince. I take on all that once belonged to Vargon. I shall protect all who live in the shade of my hand. I promise to kill any who seek to harm even one of my family. I so declare and so do reign.” As he made the final declaration, his voice deepened, took on an authority all had so recently heard from Vargon.

Before him eight kindred, representing dozens of souls, broke into a yell in unison “Long reign Lord and Master Stefano. Prince of our families.” As one they raised their glasses and took the remaining wyne in one swallow. Stefano remained as he was until all had come to greet their new prince, then finally turned to Vargon, who spoke first.

"Chylde of my heart, my son. I am proud of you this night. You have become more and exceeded all a sire could wish.”

Stefano stepped forward and embraced his sire and whispered. “I love you, Vargon. I owe all to you. I am sorry it took so long, but you will always hold a piece of my heart.”

Vargon broke the embrace and moved back to look Stefano in the eyes.

“That is all I have ever needed to hear.”

- - - - -

The small lantern dimly lit the inside of the wagon where the men rested. Stefano laid stretched out with his arms under his head; Gerik was prone over him, between his legs. His chin was on his sire’s chest so they could look at each other. He stretched up and gave a gentle kiss. “Thank you for allowing me to come on the journey around your territory.”

Stefano moved one hand to slip through the other’s hair. “Vargon assured me since this is not an official visit, I could bring you. I have sent word to each of the groups; they also know this is just for meeting everyone. Keep in mind, I may be called upon to resolve a pressing issue. If that happens, the elders will decide if you remain. Should they say ‘no’, just come back to the wagon.”

“As you wish, sire.” Gerik turned his head and laid it against his chest. “It is still odd not hearing a heartbeat. I suppose I’ll get used to it.” Getting no response, he lifted his head. “Stef?”

“Hmmmmm?” The answer was barely audible, even for a kindred.

Gerik grinned and kissed Stefano’s chest. He began kissing his way down, sliding himself slowly off his sire’s body.

“Gerik. I don’t have the energy for more.”

“No matter. You rest. I will do all the work.”

“Ngh…” Stefano arched his back as Gerik began once again to ‘wake the dragon’.

Their first visit was with Harn and the Galaspis kumpania. People began to gather as soon as he entered the light from the campfire. Stefano started talking with the elders as the younger set moved out of ear shot.

Gerik followed the young people until one turned around and pointed a finger at his chest. “You are not welcome. We did not ask you here. Go. Before harm can fall upon you.”

“I am chylde of Prince Stefano.” Gerik’s anger began to brew deep within him. “If you have no respect for me as kindred, you owe respect to my lineage.”

“Fah! The new prince is a fool. Trying to be what he has not the power to be. Where is his nanny? Certainly he didn’t come without her.” Laughter burst from those standing around.

Gerik stepped back, his eyes pulsing. As he opened to speak, a command stopped them all cold.

“Stop this! Both of you come here.” Harn stood between them and the campfire. “Now.”

The younger kindred began to gather around Harn until he stopped them. “Gregor and Gerik must present themselves. The rest of you best find somewhere else to be, quickly.”

Youth scattered in all directions like debris from a volcano. Gerik bit his tongue to keep from laughing.

“Gregor, speak. Gerik remain silent until I tell you different. Now then, Gregor, tell me what was happening here.”

“That one,” he pointed at Gerik, “tried to force his way into our gathering. When we questioned him he threatened us with him being chylde of our Prince.”

“I see. You now hold your tongue while I speak with Gerik.” He turned to Stefano’s chylde. “Tell me what was transpiring here before I stopped it.”

“Yes, my lord. It is true I was following them, hoping to be part of their conversations. However, this one”, he jerked a thumb towards Gregor, “called Prince Stefano a fool. Said he needed a nanny. I was about to respond when you called us.”

“As expected, two conflicting tales. But who speaks the truth? Who speaks the truth?”

Stefano had been watching from the campfire until the two young kindred stood before Harn. As his chylde was one of the two, he started walking towards them. He had just reached them when Harn asked his last question. “May I be of any assistance, Harn? Otherwise I shall return to the fire.”

“A true prince. Appearing where needed when needed.” Harn smiled broadly. “Indeed, you might have a solution. We have two tales of things happening earlier, but in direct conflict with each other. Would our Prince help me find the truth?”

“I would be honored to help Galaspis’ representative to the Chair.” Stefano stood before the two younger kindred. When he spoke his voice register rumbled with his authority. “I would know the truth. But should I ask both of you? You will both claim you tell the truth. So instead, I command that the spreader of falsehood speak and admit his error.” The sound of distant thunder rolled through the area. The prince now stood in silence, just watching the two.

Gerik stood quiet, hands clasped behind him, his eyes locked on his sire’s. Gregor began to fidget as if ants crawled over his skin. His eyes reflected terror as he struggled to remain quiet. Finally he could resist no longer. “I am. I lied. I did call you a fool, Lord Prince. I was fond of your sire, he was good to the young ones here. Always had time to speak with us. I did not like losing that.”

“If you had just waited, you would have found me to be an equal to Lord Vargon in longing to speak with the youth of the camp. Instead you forged ahead in folly. And now you face my judgement instead of my friendship.”

Harn cleared his throat. “My Lord Prince, thank you for your divining the truth. All of Galaspis knows such an error can carry heavy consequences.” He shot Gregor a look. “Including death, when warranted.”

There was a stifled cry from somewhere in the crowd. Stefano paused, then hearing no more, stooped to pick up a small rock. “Gregor. I now hold your future in my hand.” He held out the hand with the rock, then closed his fingers around it. “Speaking against an elder is cause for discipline.” The rock in his hand began to crack, shadow seeping from within. “Speaking against a prince, any prince, is reason enough for death.” He dropped the stone, it fell apart along the crack lines and began to disintegrate into dust. “However,” he paused long enough for fear to register fully in Gregor’s eyes, then glanced around the crowd. “Who does this belong to?”

“He is mine, Lord Prince.” A woman stepped out of the crowd, great worry on her face. “I am Zolita, and this one is mine. He is new, young, he still learns to calm the beast within. Sometimes his mouth gets far from his mind. I would request leniency.”

Stefano turned back to the accused. “See how your sire steps forward in your defense? She places her honor under the executer’s axe.” Another pause. “Because she speaks with compassion and conviction, I shall grant her request.” Relief flooded Gregor’s face. “Yet there is still a judgement. You shall spend as much time as elder Harn decrees at his feet. You shall learn from him. And if you do not, Harn will send word, and I shall return with a much darker decree. I trust that is understood.”

“Yes, my Lord Prince.” Gregor dropped to one knee. “I thank you for your mercy and a second chance with my life. I shall learn all there is to learn. And I shall serve my Lord Prince as if my life depended on it.”

Stefano smirked. “As it does.” He looked to the side. “Gerik, come. We shall return to our own camp.”

“Yes, sire.”

Stefano bowed his head to the crowd. "I thank you all for your acceptance. I am proud to call you part of the shadow family. Meeting you was a great pleasure. I shall return on the second wolfmoon from now and hold audience with those who desire it.” He turned to the elder. “Harn, as always, it is good to see you standing. We shall talk more on my return.”

“Thank you, my Lord Prince. I am glad we are falling into place once again.”

Stefano looked at Gerik as the strode out of camp. “Proud of you, my love. You remained quiet, in place, standing still for the entire impromptu hearing. And I do appreciate your desire to protect my honor.” He stopped them and turned to look into his chylde’s eyes. “However, as much as I love you, I cannot protect you from your own tongue. You did no wrong tonight, but it could have escalated. You must watch yourself double when visiting another camp.”

Gerik grinned, the imp shown in his eyes. . “Maybe my lord and sire can help me train my tongue.”

Stefano chuckled and took Gerik’s hand as they headed for the wagon.

“I am sure I can find some exercises for both you and your tongue.”

Copyright © 2018 MericCotton; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..