Jump to content
    MericCotton
  • Author
  • 1,044 Words
  • 1,482 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tomorrow's Shadow - 1. Lessons

Stefano watched the man with casual indifference. The sound from the cobblestone street gave evidence to the man’s condition; uneven footfalls, shuffling, slow/fast pace of a man trying not to fall. Added to the fact the man had just left the Wretched Raven inn and pub, alcohol was certainly involved. Normally such a soul would be overlooked by the young vampire, but he had not fed for a fortnight and hunger somewhat clouded his motives. With the sound of a leaf in the wind, Stefano left his perch in the shadows, moving quickly to the darkness of the trees that surrounded the pathway. Soon his prize would be headed down hill and, though not steep, in the man’s apparent condition, it would not be difficult to bring him down.

He struck with the agility of a cat and the speed of a cobra’s strike. There was no sound from his victim as he brought him down, sinking fangs into the man’s neck. They withdrew as he began to drink, allowing sustenance to flow freely. Stefano did not move until this new well ran dry. Only then did he stand and look at the body at his feet, flinching slightly. A sound up the path brought him from his reverie and he turned, disappearing into the shadows as shade itself.

Vaulting over the sea wall, he now walked towards Haven, the camp he shared with his sire. His movements were undetectable by any in town as the tall stone partition barely gave view of the distant horizon from within the gates - much less anyone walking beyond the stones. He paused at a large rock outcropping, sitting where the water lapped against the stones, remnants of the crashing surf that made it up shore. He lowered his head to his hands and shuddered, part from remorse over his actions, and part from the unexpected level of alcohol attacking his system.

He did not mean to drink so deeply. He never did, and that only made his sorrow greater. With each feeding he would tell himself Only enough to survive. No need to kill. And each time he would drain his victim of all blood, leaving less than a droplet behind. When the beast took hold, there was no denying it of food, no holding back from the incredible exhilaration felt when first starting to drink. He remembered chuckling the first time he stopped to consider it. At his first feeding he had complete understanding why their kind did not need sex; feeding was ten times the explosive hit to the nervous system.

Their kind. His kind. Thanks to Vargon, his sire, he was part of they. Yet he did not fault the man. What was done had been done through kindness, and Stefano’s grief had changed over time. Though not completely gone, he was able to look past his losses … for the most part. He gripped at the rocks as convulsions hit him and he heaved up the fluid contents of his stomach. He coughed and spat into the wavelets as weakness consumed him. In that state he almost missed the tell-tale whisper of air movement denoting his sire’s arrival.

“Chylde, how oft must I tell you to stay away from the drunken?” Anger rolled in the heavy darkness of Vargon’s voice as he sat beside the younger man.

“I know, Father… I … I was so hungry …”

“I should leave you in this state, let you perhaps learn. But I was new once … Here.”

Stefano looked up at the offered wrist and dove into it, mindless in the beast once again.

Vargon grabbed a handful of his son’s hair and ripped him away, almost throwing him into the water. “With respect, whelp, or I shall let you starve.”

“Yes, Sire.” Stefano slowly moved back, averting his eyes as he once more took the elder’s arm in his hands, and drank slowly, gently. The power that surged through him awoke all his senses to their surroundings. He slowly pulled away, licking the wound and letting it heal. He glanced up at the elder’s face. “Father … Sire ….”

Vargon smiled slightly. Hearing both his titles, he knew a major question was on its way. “Yes, my chylde?”

Stefano weighed his words carefully before he began, “I have been with you on a hunt. You know that – it is how you taught me.” He paused briefly. “You do not kill every time you feed … or at least it does not look like it …”

“No, son, you are correct. It is not necessary to kill when you feed, but it is most times more prudent as it leaves no witness. But if you have not been seen, then you should not need to kill.”

“Why can I not do that? I mean, I tell myself before the strike that I will only drink till satiated, but when I taste their blood … it is a feeling I cannot describe. And it drives me to drink until there is no more …”. His voice trailed off, the pain in his soul over the issue more than evident.

“That control comes with maturity, Stefano.” Devotion echoed in the man’s voice. “You shall find it in time.”

"As a vampire, time is an eternity anymore."

Vargon chuckled. "You are maturing already, if you feel the endlessness of time. It should not be long, my son. Though we have discussed your use of that word. 'Vampire' is what the mortal world calls us - the word to use is 'kindred'. It is important for you to remember this if you are to be around others of our kind."

"Yes, Sire. We are kindred. I can remember."

"Good. Now then, if it bothers you to feed, that too will pass away. I would suggest you allow it to happen … This life can be excruciating if you always regret eating.”

Stefano looked up to find Vargon’s gaze. “Thank you, Sire. My grief over … my past, it grows less all the time. I will trust the other will as well.”

Vargon smiled and stood. “Good. Then come. I have something I wish to show you.”

Stefano rose and followed his sire into the shadows.

Copyright © 2018 MericCotton; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..