Jump to content
    MericCotton
  • Author
  • 718 Words
  • 1,423 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tomorrow's Shadow - 2. The Keep

Vargon led Stefano along the stony cliffs, talking of history and peoples – all to Stefano’s wonder and appreciation. He waited patiently to ask questions until Vargon noticed the look in his eyes and paused. “Is there something you wish to ask?”

Stefano smiled. “Yes, Sire. This place. It is beautiful, but what is it? Where are we? And more so – why are we here?"

Vargon chuckled – the sound of distant thunder. “Why is it children always want to know what, where, and why? Will you become a news writer, my son?” He held up a hand when he noticed Stefano about to protest. “You know I tease, Stefano, my chylde. But only in jest; my love for you is as eternal as I am. Now then, to answer your questions…

"This island is something I have owned for generations. I often come here to rest. The air, the surf, it all serves to restore my soul. I have never named her, and yes, my son, I speak of the island as feminine. I believe it is the incredible beauty that is everywhere. And we are here so I can speak to you of this.” Vargon turned to his right pointing an open hand at what appeared to be people constructing something along a cliff-face.

“I am surprised there are workers here at night … although the moon is intensely bright.”

“It is usually so, my son.” Vargon began strolling towards the construction site, his son eagerly at his side. A couple of the workers nodded to them as they drew close, but everyone kept at their pace, placing large stone blocks, working on what, in Stefano’s eyes, appeared to be a colossal edifice of some sort.

“What are they building?”

Vargon gazed towards distant mainland before slowly turning to face his son, his eyes twinkling. “I think it is time to build the Keep,” he responded.

Stefano raised an eyebrow in excitement. “The Keep? Father … Sire – does that mean we are through wandering in travels?”

Vargon laughed softly. “You are through wandering, Stefano. I believe I shall wander as long as I despise the sun. It is too much of who I am.”

“You want me … to live in the Keep?”

“I want you to own the Keep. Actually, you already do. I had the land and all on it deeded to you a fortnight ago. All you see here,” he motioned with an open palm. “All you see here is yours.” He reached out and lightly touched Stefano’s shoulder. “Son, I see the confusion in your eyes. You have asked about no longer walking the ground, to have a home, a place to call yours. And although I have a notion you were thinking a wagon, I believe this will be far more appropriate for you. And before you ask, yes – I shall still come here to rest my soul. Except now I shall have the added joy of seeing my chylde.”

Stefano turned to look across the land, then moved to see the grandeur of the cliffs, his gaze finally resting on the progressing Keep. He turned his dark, moist eyes to Vargon. “It is more than I can understand, more than I believe I deserve, but I accept your gift under the condition that it does not remove me from your thoughts or your love. For my heart would surely end if such were the case.”

“I am glad. Now, let us return to New Haven before the morning arrives.” They stepped into the nether realms of shapeless shadow while the workers continued building with single-minded dedication.

As the sun dropped below the horizon the following day, Stefano stepped out of his wagon and moved to restart the campfire. A couple of boot clicks on wood told him Vargon was leaving his wagon as well.

“Good morning, Sire.”

“Morrow, Stefano. I am glad you are up. We have much to do.”

“Indeed? What things await me tonight?”

“You are to learn how to feed without killing. If you are to reside here, you will most likely be feeding on the mainland. You must know how to feed and remove all evidence of your presence.”

Stefano swallowed hard but kept his gaze steady on Vargon. “Yes, Sire.”

Copyright © 2018 MericCotton; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..