Jump to content
    MericCotton
  • Author
  • 2,969 Words
  • 656 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tomorrow's Shadow - 26. Aftermath

Stefano stood on the wet sand, wearing just his trousers. The waves lapped at his bare feet, threatening to bury them as each rush of water stirred the ground beneath him allowing him to slowly sink into the sand. He could feel the pain of Gerik’s extinguishing as clear as the dawn when it happened. Sorrow over the youth’s death had turned to anger as Stefano believed Gerik had purposely been caught by the sun.

Anger consumes me, and I care not. He allowed himself to greet the sun. My chylde, my love, decided death was better than being with me. But is that reason enough to end everything that has been done? To stop visiting the regions and camps? To destroy the great room? The disappointment in Viktor’s eyes was palatable when he entered and saw the remains of the harp strewn around the room. How I managed to not break the stained glass doors is a complete mystery.

Sweet Fates, the bar. The expense to replace the drink is more than enough, but finding the blood liquors is nigh impossible. I’m surprised after all I’ve done of late that Viktor has not resigned and left. I must commend him, though. My rooms appear as they did before my rage. Of course, there is still my office. I cannot simply allow entrance just to clean and then prohibit again, so restoring it remains my responsibility alone.

The distant rumble of thunder grabbed his attention and he focused on the horizon.

Incoming storm. I wonder who’s fury will prove greater, mine, or that of the Fates. He shook his head. Fury of the Fates – I have never understood it nor shall I. If all of life, indeed, all of existence is in their grasp, what could they possibly have to be angry about? If someone rejects their laws or them completely, how could it disturb a hair on their heads? Even death bows to the Fates. If they are angry with someone, they could simply end them. He watched lightning flashes as the ominous clouds billowed ever closer. No, they have no reason for fury. Indeed, they have no right to fury.

The thought barely reached his mind when a lightning flash struck the nearest stone jetty, sending shards of stone into the sea as if someone were sowing seeds. Then again, mayhaps it is not my place to question their rights. He was jolted from his dark musings by a deep voice reverberating against the stone cliffs.

“Viktor said I would find you here.”

Stefano half smiled but didn’t bother turning around. “Well met, Sire. I trust your journeys have been fruitful? Has Odessa found that for which she yearns?”

Vargon frowned. “I am sure she will worry your ears off with her tales later. At this moment I am in need to speak with my Prince. That is, if he can give the time to even turn and address his sire.”

“I am weary, Father. Tired and worn. I need respite from the demands of the night.”

“It has been over two wolfmoons since Gerik’s termination. It is time for the Prince to pick himself up and tend to more important matters.”

“My heart is not important?”

“Not more so than your subjects. You have kindred who depend on you, who need the wisdom and rulings of their Prince. People to whom you gave your word of protection and justice.”

“I am aware, Father, however…”

“No. No more ‘however’. No more ‘wait’. Now, my chylde. It is time you retook your place. Unless you want me to petition your subjects for your replacement.”

“What?” Stefano’s interest perked.

“You have been absent for long enough. If you cannot be a prince, we need find someone who can.”

“You can do that? Replace me?”

“If your people wish, yes.”

Stefano pulled his feet from the ever-piling sand and turned to face Vargon.

“I do not wish to be replaced. I shall do what is necessary.” He bowed his head slightly. “Thank you, Sire. Your words have always had a way of changing my life.

Vargon chuckled softly, all frustrations faded. “As should be, first chylde. Come then. Return with me to the world of the undead. Mayhaps my wife will tell you of a certain bone fragment.” He paused as his son passed him to lead up the steps. “Though we shall wait while you … freshen yourself. You smell like an old tomb.”

“Yes, Father.” Stefano stopped and turned around to face his sire. “My life would be nothing if you hadn’t stepped into it time past. I know I have thanked you before, but I do again. I sadly admit there are times I forget, and it should not be. At least, not for extended periods of time.” He stopped and blinked moist eyes. “It has truly been over two wolfmoons since his ending. I had lost all track of time; I was unaware of the depth of my sadness and anger.”

Vargon simply made a motion indicating he wished to continue up the stairs. Stefano turned and dutifully climbed them, for the first time in nights, without dragging his feet.

When they walked in from the balcony, Odessa and Viktor both turned and smiled at the Lord of the Keep. Odessa stood and headed across the room until Stefano held up a hand.

“Wait, sister-of-blood. I need to … cleanse from the sea. According to Sire, I smell like ‘an old tomb’.”

She shrugged. “What do I care? I am happy to see you, and looking alive. I wasn’t sure the way Viktor spoke.” She finished crossing the room and embraced him briefly before stepping away and waving a hand. “Vargon is correct – you do smell like an old tomb. With a rotting corpse.”

Stefano just laughed. “Alright, I understand. I shall be back soon. Please do not begin the celebration without me.”

As he disappeared up the stairs, Odessa and Viktor both turned to Vargon and asked in unison, “Celebration?”

Vargon shook his head, laughing. “You need ask my chylde. I have no idea of what he is speaking.”

Upstairs, Stefano closed his door behind him then collapsed on his bed in tears. Gerik, I shall never understand how you could sit and wait for dawn instead of returning to our home, to my love, and talking things through. I thought we had finally bridged the argument when our love allowed us to connect across the island. He sat up and undressed. When he stepped into the shower he allowed the deluge to wash over his face before he turned around. As he washed he began to feel as if heavy weight was melting in the water, running down his shoulders, over his body, and into the small trench cut into the stone to drain the water outside and over the cliff face. Sire is correct, of course. I am behaving as a child, in many ways more prideful and arrogant than the one I mourn. And to what end? He stepped out of the cascading water and grabbed a towel to dry. There is no purpose in it. He is gone. He ended and I shall never know why, or how I lost his love. If I ever truly had it. But it is past. It matters not any longer. Gerik is gone and I remain. I have lost too many in my life, but I shall not lose myself. I am Prince and I shall exist as such.

The great room shook as the ceiling overhead rumbled. Everyone glanced up; worry darkened Odessa’s fair complexion.

“What just happened.”

Vargon smiled broadly. “Our Prince has returned.”

A short while later Stefano descended the stairs, humming softly, as a runner stepped in from the kitchens and handed Viktor a missive. The manservant waited until the Lord of the Keep looked up before he held out the paper. “For you, Master Stefano.”

“Thank you Viktor. Would you please prepare a cognac for me?” He looked at the missive. “I have expected no word from anyone.”

“Then open it, Stefano,” Odessa said. “Rather than keep all in suspense.”

He laughed as he broke the seal. He read down the page then stepped backwards and sat. He received his drink from Viktor and took a long sip.

“Is it there a problem with one of the lands?” Vargon inquired.

“No,” Stefano answered. “Nothing like that.”

Viktor looked closely at Stefano. “Do you need to respond? The runner is here, she will not depart until the morrow in order to find rest.”

“What is in the missive, brother of mine?” Odessa cut in. Her voice carried the edge of urgency.

Stefano looked down at the missive in his hand. He shook his head and laughed wryly. “One must appreciate the will and humor of the Fates.” He downed the rest of his drink and handed the empty glass to his manservant for refill. He then looked at the curious faces before him. “Nikolos is engaged.”

- - - - -

It didn't take long for the prince to get back into the swing of visiting the regions of his oversight, visiting kumpanias, and resolving disputes. Late in the fall found him visiting one of the further kumpania regarding an issue between two betrothed kindred. What he had thought to be a simple matter turned into a visit of nearly two wolf moons. The upside of all the activity was he was emerging from his depression over Gerik's demise.

When Stefano returned from visiting the Lestora camp, he had a broad smile on his face. Viktor looked up and caught the smile.

“You look pleased, Master Stefano.”

“I am, Viktor. It was a most productive visit. And it’s been a long time since I was in a true camp. It brought back fond memories.” He sat at the bar. “Brandy, please.”

Viktor prepared the kindred’s drink and handed the glass to him. “Then the emergency was not a true emergency? If I remember correctly, their runner was quite adamant about you being needed immediately.”

“You remember correctly, and, I suppose in their eyes yes, it was an emergency. At least for the bride’s family, since it was the groom who walked away moments before the service was to begin.”

“Is he not bound by law at that stage?”

“Tradition. Although my sire would call it law, nothing has ever been decreed, and it certainly wasn’t something Cain the First requested. But a centuries-old tradition often feels like law for those who have lived with it for generations.”

“Then what was your decision?”

“I met with the lad. Rather cute, though quite young. Name of ‘Atruis’. Very appealing young man... I did what anyone might do in that situation, I suppose. I seduced him.”

Viktor dropped the bottle he was replacing under the bar. Fortunately he was able to catch it with his powers before it smashed on the floor. “Ye did what? I would expect complete breakdown of all relationships at that point.”

“There would have been, but I met with the bride separately shortly thereafter.”

“Please say ye did not seduce her as well.”

“I did not. But I did tell her that he had been with me.” Stefano smirked. “I also said she would be better off with her fingers than with what he had to offer. She decided to accept his abandonment without incident.”

Viktor chuckled. “Ye are crafty indeed, Master Stefano. And what of the young man? Was he angry at ye revealing his … shortcomings?”

Stefano almost choked on his drink. “Actually, I lied to the bride. I realize a Prince is meant to be honest at all times, which is precisely why the lie worked. I had warned him ahead of time what would transpire when I met with her. He was in full accord with me.” He set his empty glass in front of Viktor. “Besides, there were no ‘shortcomings’ with this lad.”

Viktor shook his head in mock dismay. “Shall I refresh your drink, m’Lord?”

“Hold on that for a moment, my friend. I wish to freshen up after my journey. I have many layers of dust over my skin I would like to remove.”

“Of course, Master Stefano. I shall be here when ye are ready.”

Stefano hummed in the shower. Of late his disposition had continued to improve as he busied himself with the responsibility of being a prince. Viktor was still trying to convince him it was time to hold another gathering for the mainland nobles, yet Stefano had managed to side step it to date. He did realize he would eventually have to succumb to the duties of being ‘Lord of the Keep’, but as long as he stayed busy, Viktor left the subject matter drop.

After his shower Stefano padded barefoot down the stairs in tight trousers and crimson peasant shirt, unlaced, of course. Viktor held a glass of brandy out for him. “Someone on the balcony wishes to speak with the Lord of the Keep.”

“I barely have returned… alright. Who is it?”

“Ye would not believe me if I told ye. This one must be experienced.” With that, Viktor exited into the kitchens.

Stefano arched a brow and headed for the balcony, drink in hand. When he stepped through the doors he stopped – there was no one there. He glanced back inside then had a thought. He moved to the rail and lifted himself up slightly to look towards the beach. There was someone walking along the short shoreline, male by appearance but difficult to see from this distance, even with his sight. The kindred took a sip of his drink and headed to the steps, walking down them slowly, his mind still curious about this mystery guest.

At the base of the stairs he stopped and watched the individual who stood near the water's edge, gazing towards the horizon. A smile slowly appeared on Stefano's face and he stepped forward.

"Nikolos. This is a pleasant surprise. Is your wife … Vayona … is she with you?"

The wolven turned around and whistled, light dancing in his eyes. “You look … tantalizing. As for Vayona, we did not marry.”

“Indeed? I had assumed from the voice of your missive that you loved her intensely and she returned it. What went wrong?”

“I did.” Nikolos walked over to Stefano and tenderly touched his cheek. “I could not think of marrying after hearing of your loss. I am sorry about Gerik, I know you loved him.”

Stefano turned his head and kissed the inside of his friend’s palm. “Thank you, beloved friend. But what of Vayona? Did you postpone until some later time then?”

“No. We spoke at lengths about me, about her, about us. We decided it was best if we walked away from it before our relationship soured, as it would have. There was just not enough devotion to make it work." Nikolos stepped closer, wrapping his arms around the kindred. "We had not discussed a date or gone to the justice to formally file our intentions, so there wasn’t a lot of planning to undo.”

“That is regrettable…” Stefano paused as realization crossed his features then pulled back. “Wait. How did you know of Gerik? Granted I had considered writing but shortly after your marriage announcement was not the proper time, not to mention I did not know where you were.”

“Is it of significance?” The wolven grinned. “But, since you ask – I received word from a certain Lady Odessa Stalway Petrescu; she sent word back with the runner that had carried my missive to you. Was she the one with your sire the night … well, that night?”

“Yes, she is my sire’s wife. I must remember to thank her … later.” He leaned down and kissed Nikolos gently. “I have missed you. Tell me of your luck with the mage. Did you find her? Was she able to remove your beast?”

“Yes, I located her. She could not completely remove my beast of course, but she did indeed walk me along the path to taming it. I now am subject to it only during wolfmoon, yet its power is much greater in that period than I had anticipated. I am told it may subside a trifle, but to expect it to control me almost entirely for those three nights.” Nikolos looked deeply into the kindred’s dark eyes. “Do we dare suppose the Fates truly intend to allow us to be together?”

Stefano laughed. “I no longer try to fathom the Fates. Their will is certainly their own, trying to understand them is trying to understand why grass is green or the sky blue. Certain things are what they are; it is not ours to question them.”

The wolven put his hand against the kindred’s forehead. “Is this my Stefano being philosophical? Are you ill, dear one?”

Stefano laughed. “Such comes with age. Or have you not found it so?”

“I do not think of myself as aged.”

“Or mature?”

Nikolos winked. “Most definitely not mature. Or mayhaps mature enough. And now that I have you with me, I fully intend to recover all our lost ‘play time’.” He paused and his voice took a serious note. “Stefano, we must discuss the nights of wolfmoon, how we shall handle them. We need address what will happen when our clans discover a kindred and a wolven as lovers. What will your sire say about such a decision from a prince?”

Stefano placed two fingers tenderly against the wolven’s lips. “Shhh, be still my love. We are together again, finally, and that is all that has any importance. Anything else – indeed everything else – can wait for tomorrow’s shadow.”

Hope you enjoyed Tomorrow's Shadow
Copyright © 2018 MericCotton; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I’m sort of sad that Gerik didn’t make it. He was hurt by an innocent situation, but was definitely petulant. The fact that Stefano didn’t know he wanted to come back....I’m happy for him and Nikolos though!  Thank you for your wonderful work! I can’t wait to see what you’be  got up next!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mfa607 said:

I’m sort of sad that Gerik didn’t make it. He was hurt by an innocent situation, but was definitely petulant. The fact that Stefano didn’t know he wanted to come back....I’m happy for him and Nikolos though!  Thank you for your wonderful work! I can’t wait to see what you’be  got up next!

 

I am so glad you've enjoyed this.  Thank you for hanging with me! 

I've toyed with a "Nikolos" side of the story - not sure yet if I want to go there :) at least yet - I have another in process work that comes first

(i think - i have this awful habit of working on more than one story at a time...)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..