Jump to content
    MericCotton
  • Author
  • 2,090 Words
  • 608 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tomorrow's Shadow - 25. Time Waits For No One

It was past midnight the following night before Gerik finally returned downstairs, dressed in riding attire. His face was haggard and drawn, his need for sustenance hung around him like a woolen cloak. As he looked around the room, he found Stefano and Viktor both standing at the bar, going over what he assumed was Keep business. He closed his eyes to calm himself, then slowly started across the room.

Stefano had seen Gerik descend the stairs but purposely kept his attention on Viktor’s ledger sheet as the two of them discussed servant needs and food requirements for said servants.

“Then I understand we have the spare rooms, Viktor?”

“Indeed, Master Stefano. There are still six rooms unoccupied in the servant wing.”

“Excellent. Prepare four of them for the subjugates coming from Rensdale.”

“Two in each room, then.”

“Yes. As is standard.”

“Consider it done, Master Stefano. It will be good for ye to be able to find sustenance without having to go to the mainland.”

Stefano looked up at Gerik standing near the bar, but quiet, hands clasped behind him as he waited for an opening in their discussion. “Good morning, my heart. I trust you slept soundly.”

“Do you truly? I wouldn’t think you cared about my sleeping habits, since you keep yourself from me. Mayhaps you are being satisfied in the bed of a wolven.”

“I will not have this discussion, Gerik; I have done nothing to warrant it. What you saw was an embrace between close friends that are parting – possibly for the last time.”

“Even if true, that gives no justification for the passion that was so openly displayed on your balcony. But then, this is your home.”

Stefano’s eyes grew dark, shadows swirled in his pupils. “That is all I will hear, young one. I expect you to present yourself properly to your sire. And if not, then you will before your Prince. I trust that is understood.”

Anger flashed in the younger kindred’s eyes. “Perfectly, Sire, my Lord Prince. If you will excuse me now I am going riding.” He paused briefly. “Actually, I am going riding whether or not you excuse my absence.”

Stefano sighed. “I hope it calms you so we can discuss and not argue, my heart. It pains to see you like this, to feel the wrath that emanates from your being. I don’t know if you will hear this, or accept it, but I do love you.”

Gerik stood quiet only a moment before he firmly set his jaw. “I am not sure I wish to receive love so tarnished by a wolven.” He turned and walked out the front doors.

Stefano looked at Viktor. “Is there anything else needing my presence at this time?”

Viktor shook his head, his eyes mirroring the sorrow and pain seen in his friend’s. “Not at this time, Master Stefano. I shall manage until we speak again.”

The Lord of the Keep forced a smile. “You always do, my friend. I am sorry for what you have to wade through between my chylde and I. Even more than I regret my words to you last night.”

“Last night has been cleared by your earlier apology, my Lord. Ye have no need to do so again nor apologize for the actions of another. Find peace, my friend.”

“I shall try, Viktor; I shall try. Right now I am going for a swim. Hopefully that will clear my mind as it calms my nerves.”

“Very good, Master Stefano.”

Viktor watched his friend and master walk to the balcony and turn for the stairs. Only when out of sight did the manservant allow his anger to show.

Young Gerik treads on unstable ground. And I do not sense that he cares.

It was several hours before Stefano returned from his swim. He crossed to the stairs silently to change in his room. After showering and changing to dry clothes, he returned to the great hall and crossed the room to the bar. He looked at his manservant and sighed as he sat.

“Brandy, please, Viktor.”

“From your countenance, I would assume Lord Gerik was not upstairs.”

“No. Has he been back at all?”

“I am sorry, but I have not seen him, my Lord.”

Stefano downed his drink. “I am going to go find him. We are short hours before the dawn.”

He shook his head and muttered to himself as he walked out the front door.

I have a good idea now about how Vargon felt with my fighting him. This hurts beyond comprehension, and I cannot allow it to continue.

Stefano walked briskly across the grounds and entered the stable. He opened Zarchos’ stall then walked back to the front of the stables. The stallion followed obediently. Stefano stopped then turned to scratch the steed’s forehead and received strong nudging from the animal, showing its appreciation. “Zarchos, I have need for swiftness this night. More than I have ever requested before. I will allow you open reins, I trust you to carry me well.” Again the horse nudged him. Stefano smiled. “Good boy.”

Stefano walked to Zarchos’ left side, grabbed the end of the horse’s mane and swung himself up bareback. With no saddle and no bridle he leaned forward and spoke again to his mount. “Find Shadow. We must find Shadow. He may be in danger.”

Zarchos whinnied in response, pawed at the ground, then charged into a full gallop. Stefano remained crouched forward to avoid most of the wind rushing past him. The covered the island completely, twice, before Stefano patted the mount’s neck and allowed him to slow, then stop. “Good boy, Zarchos, my friend. Excellent speed. You are the most noble steed I have ever known.”

Zarchos tossed his head and snorted in an approval response.

“I need to talk to the Marwick. Mayhaps he has seen them. No urgency this time, boy, but with haste.”

Again Zarchos leapt into action. Within a few moments they were at the landing; the barge was nowhere in sight. Stefano rang the bell mounted beside the path’s end and waited until the ferryman crossed over.

“Marwick, my friend. I trust you are well this night.”

“Very well, my lord. Are you going to meet with Lord Gerik? I got the impression from him that he was traveling alone.”

“Actually, that’s what I wished to know, whether you had seen him. Did he make any mention of where he was going?”

“None my lord, though he did look upset. Mayhaps to The Row?”

“Mayhaps. I will not be crossing tonight, Marwick; I shall await Gerik at home. I am sorry to have brought you across for no reason.”

“You wished to speak to me, Lord Stefano. That is reason enough. May the Fates smile on you, gracious lord.”

Stefano watched as the barge was poled away from the landing. “On you and your family as well, good friend.” He tossed three gold sovereigns that landed neatly near Marwick’s feet. “This is for your trouble. Surprise your wife.”

Marwick paused long enough to retrieve the coins and pocket them. “I shall, Lord Stefano. She has been eyeing a gown at the tailors for some time now. I am sure this will delight her.”

The Lord of the Keep raised his hand in a parting gesture then nudged Zarchos to turn toward home. “No rush, Zarchos. An easy pace will be good.” He looked eastward. “There is still time before the dawn, let us enjoy the ride home.”

Again the horse pawed the ground then moved into a gentle lope, allowing his rider to watch the scenery they passed and enjoy the calmer movement of air. When they finally reached the stables, Zarchos stopped and Stefano slipped himself down. He patted Zarchos neck again. “You did well, my friend. You always do. Come. I know a brush that is waiting in anticipation.”

Zarchos snorted and walked beside his owner to his stall, then walked in. Stefano smiled at the fresh hay; someone had mucked out the stall during his ride. And knowing Viktor and his servants, no one would ever admit to it. He lifted a brush from its hook high on the wall and slipped his hand into the leather strap on the back. With loving attention he brushed Zarchos, working down the chest, front left leg then down the left side of the mount’s neck.

“I do not know if I can make this one right, Zarchos. The kiss he witnessed was indeed a kiss of fire and passion, but we knew even then it could go nowhere. It may well have been my last chance to feel him close, taste him, know his presence.”

Stefano continued to move back towards the tail. Once reached, he would move to the mount’s right side and work the mane before moving along that side in the same manner as the left. The tail would get its brushing last as it typically took the longest to clean. He glanced out the front doors of the stable and sighed again.

“It grows late. If Gerik does not get here soon, he will not have time to make it to the Keep. I can only hope he has found other fitting shelter, should that be the case.”

-----

On the far end of the island, Gerik was finally urging Shadow off the barge. “Thank you, Marwick.”

“Most welcome, Lord Gerik. May the Fates smile upon you and your path.”

“Mmm hmm.”Gerik’s response was half-hearted and quiet. His mind was elsewhere, still racing over the events of the previous night. They would have ended in our bed if I had not chanced on them when I did. He can deny it all he wants, it was blatantly obvious their love has not wavered any over time.

He nudged Shadow forward, up the slight slope then across the land. Half-way to the Keep he stopped the mount and turned him, speaking to him gently. “We shall have some fun before getting home. I have a feeling there will not be time for pleasantries for a while once I return.”

A slight kick and Shadow moved forward, quickly into a gallop. Gerik watched the landscape, smiling when he saw the sign of exposed rock. “Jumping. I want to fly, Shadow.”

The horse raced forward, easily clearing each slight rise as they were reached. Around the end of the island, turn and then back. Gerik’s demeanor softened as they rode.

-----

At the Keep, Lord Stefano had decided he had waited long enough. I will not stand around and worry over him like some school child. Nor shall I chance the light of day. He set his empty glass on the bar. “Thank you, Viktor. I will retire now.”

“Very good, my lord. May the Fates give you a good rest, and a day void of disagreements.”

Stefano gave a wry laugh. “Good rest is mayhaps possible, but I fear there is much discussion yet to come over the lack of discipline and respect being demonstrated.”

Viktor responded only with a nod and began clearing the bar before walking across to close the balcony doors.

Upstairs in his suite, the Lord of the Keep undressed and slipped himself under the covers of his bed. Stay safe, Gerik. I need you by my side. Come home and let us resolve with love.

-----

Far from the Keep, the young kindred watched as more exposed rock lay ahead. His face beamed, he had come to terms with himself; he would trust his love. Regardless the kiss, Stefano had said Nikolos was leaving. So worry over a ‘last kiss’ was unnecessary. As he approached the hidden ravine, he shuddered and gasped as he felt his sire in his mind. Clearly. He groaned at the touch of love just as his mount hit the ravine. But instead of leaping, the horse, out of fear, stopped short.

Gerik flew from the saddle and collided hard with the bare stone. Good one, Gerik. Now get home. He tried to sit up but shouted in pain. Alright, let me catch my breath. He closed his eyes a moment and reached for that thought, hoping to return Stefano’s love.

-----

At the Keep, a restless Lord tossed and turned, longing for comfort. Suddenly he felt a presence. Gerik. He reached with his mind again, searching. As the colored glass in the balcony doors downstairs grew lighter in shade, Prince Stefano bolted up in bed, his eyes wide.

“Gerik!”

Copyright © 2018 MericCotton; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

2 minutes ago, mfa607 said:

Wow! Here’s hoping that he made it back!! Thank you!

 

Thanks for the comment!!  This story has become a strange one to write.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..