Jump to content
    MericCotton
  • Author
  • 1,677 Words
  • 547 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tomorrow's Shadow - 23. Unexpected News

Odessa and Vargon were saying their goodbyes when Stefano suddenly stepped forward and pulled his sire into a hug. Surprise exploded on the elder kindred’s face, but he managed to return the hug in kind.

“You do realize we shall return.”

Stefano grinned. “Of course I do. I just felt like embracing the one that brought me into this strangely exotic world of the night.”

Gerik took the hint and walked over to Odessa, hugging her gently. He kissed her cheek before whispering in her ear, “Until we next meet, Auntie Odessa.”

She hugged him back and giggled, causing her husband to arch an eyebrow.

“Something funny I should know about?”

Odessa winked at her nephew before turning to her husband. “Nothing more than warm familial compassion from one loon to another.”

Vargon laughed, shaking his head. “If you say so.” He picked up a sealed bottle of bloodwyne from the bar top. “Thank you, Viktor. I trust we won’t need it, but it is good to have on hand.”

“Indeed, Lord Vargon.” The manservant paused as concern briefly colored his visage. “Take care, dear friend. The night may be glorious for some, but evil also prowls in shadow.”

Vargon considered the words before briefly nodding his head. “It does, my friend, it does. Thank you for the warning, I shall heed your words.” The ancient had learned long ago it paid to listen when a mage gave warning of possible dangers.

As the main doors were closed behind the departing couple, Stefano turned to glance around the room. “I think it is time to redecorate. The walls are looking dim and the ceiling shows the tarnish of smoke and heat from the fireplace. We will want to take care on the scrolled woodwork in the corners. They speak of an earlier age and I don’t wish to lose that feeling, so nothing garish or loud.”

Viktor was making notes in his ever-present ledger. “Yes, Master Stefano. Any thought on tone or color?”

Gerik chimed in. “Nothing pink or red. And please say no violet. I think we need to avoid any dark tones as they can fight with the pigments present in the stained glass.”

“I would agree, though I have always been partial to crimson.” Stefano added. “In truth, with the artwork we display, we should probably stay with more of the browns or tans. But not too dark, the tones of the wood in this room are heavy enough. Yet no white. I grow excessively weary of white. It has no life to it.”

Viktor looked up from his writing. “I shall contact painters after you and Lord Gerik have retired. I will need to hire a large number of workers to have this room repainted in one day.”

“Understood. As long as we can pay the wages, hire the workers. As always, I have total trust in your management of our home.”

One of the kitchen staff stepped into the hall and handed Viktor a note before stepping back into the kitchen. Viktor checked the addressee and looked up, holding the note forward. “Lord Gerik, this is for you.”

“Intriguing,” Gerik replied as he took the paper. He turned it to break the seal and stopped. He slowly turned it over again to look at the handwriting.

“Is something amiss, my love?” Stefano inquired.

“I … I don’t know. This is Mother’s handwriting.” Gerik flipped the paper back and forth, looking at the seal, then the handwriting, and back again.

Viktor took this moment to excuse himself and step into the kitchen, giving the two privacy in case it were warranted.

“Might help to open it.”

“Yes, Stef. Of course.” Gerik’s hands shook slightly as he broke the seal and unfolded the page. He began to read then glanced backward then moved to sit on the nearest stool.

“Gerik?”

The younger kindred began to read aloud.

“My dearest, only son,

I hope this missive finds you well, and that it reaches you. After the dissention between you and Terrance, I would not be surprised if you didn’t even open it, though my heart hopes you shall. You have never left my heart, you remain in my supplication to the Fates. My heart misses you more now than the year you spent abroad.

Your father would disown and disinherit me if he knew I was I was penning to you. But as he is not here at the present, I shall do what is right. If there be consequences later on, I shall bear them as best can be done.

Your father was taken to Doctor’s Row yesterday, just before luncheon. He had been out in the willow grove, you know how much he loves the smell of willow – he turned to return to the house and eat with me when he fell into the ravine just before the trees. It does not appear that he broken any bones, but the doctors all believe his heart is giving out.

He would not have you know this – you know his pride – he has mourned sending you away. In truth, son, he has wept in my arms over his loss of a son. It is his damnable pride that once again makes him act the fool.”

Gerik stopped reading and shook his head. “Mother never uses dark language. If I did not realize she was upset, it would be painfully clear now.” His eyes returned to the paper in his hand. “Let me see now …”

“It is his damnable pride that once again makes him act the fool. Lord Amberson has visited to speak to your father on this matter, and you know how he despises leaving the court. None of it matters, only your father’s dignity.”

Gerik moved to the second sheet of the missive.

"Although I could be content knowing you have read this missive, my son, I would be most thankful if you could find it in you to visit him at The Row. And before you raise your hackles against me hear my soul. I do not wish to lose your father; he has been part of my heart now for too long for me to try to live without him. One of the doctors, Yrish, I believe he said, has told me that if Terrance’s disposition does not lighten, his days with us are numbered and short. You hold the power to end his turmoil.

I realize this could make him angrier, and there is always a chance he would slip into the hands of the Fates from the eruption of his anger at your appearance. I believe, however, that he will soften and welcome you back into his love, which you have never truly left. Not completely.

My son, if you cannot do it for him, do it for me. And if I am not motivation enough for your willful spirit, do it for yourself. For as suredly as there is a sun in the sky, harboring this anger will become a cancer to your soul and destroy you as it is destroying my beloved. You are my son. I shall love you no matter the choices you make, even this one. And should I lose Terrance, mayhaps I could at least regain my son.

Should you decide to see your father, for fairly obvious reasons, the Lord of the Keep cannot be with you.

I remain,

Your Mother
Lady Abigail Needston Falow
Atterstock”

Stefano stepped close to Gerik, putting an arm around his waist and pulling him close. “I do not know if you need reach a decision now, but the Fates may not allow you much time.”

Gerik looked up as tears streamed down his forlorn face. His voice shook as he voiced his heart. “I need see him, Stef. I need see my father before he … before he is gone. I will see him tonight. It remains early enough in the evening to not be seen as an odd hour to visit him. I will feed on the way, I suppose.”

“Actually that might be the wisest course. If you see Lord Falow shortly after feeding, you will still hold the blush of life. Your face and hands will be more of what is expected. I doubt your Father needs something else on which to worry. I could go with you, as far as Doctors Row if you wish.”

“What? No. Thank you my love, but no.” Gerik leaned up and kissed his sire’s cheek. “I shall manage fine, my heart. I will return as soon as I know what transpires with F.Father.”

“As you wish. I shall be here waiting for you. Go with Fate’s mantle of protection, Gerik.”

Gerik nodded before turning and walking out the front doors and heading for the stables.

Stefano was headed for the open balcony doors when Viktor returned from the back rooms.

“Lord Gerik has gone, then?”

Stefano stopped and turned. “You knew what the missive carried?”

“No, Master Stefano. Even if I could, I would not. But I could sense someone grieved over the writing of it. My senses say a woman, the remaining energy was strong. Of course I could be wrong on that.”

Stefano grinned. “No, you were right. It was from his mother." His face turned serious. "His father is gravely ill and she wants Gerik to see him in case he is dying. I hope for happy resolution to their argument, but I cannot help but also wish for Lord Falow’s … termination.”

I suppose that is understandable, seeing the circumstances.”

“I just want Gerik to be happy.”

Viktor smirked. “Also understandable, under the circumstances.”

Stefano laughed. “Viktor, I am so glad you are part of our ‘family’. Your spirit is encouraging and you heart is loving. Your wit is the only one I’ve found to rival Sire’s.”

Viktor watched as the Lord of the Keep stepped onto the balcony to prepare his usual pipe.

Let us hope ye always feel so positive about my presence.

Copyright © 2018 MericCotton; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..