Jump to content
    Mike Arram
  • Author
  • 6,443 Words
  • 1,946 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Golden Portifor - 12. Chapter 12

Serge and Jan Lisku took a leisurely breakfast together on the Monday morning after his return to the capital. First on their order of business was finances.

‘The position is not unhealthy, sir,’ Jan pronounced after going over the figures, ‘largely because of your grandfather’s generosity, also the palace was good enough to pay me your second quarter’s salary on time. I’ve settled accounts with Herr Ashkenazh on Judengasse; we made a small surplus on our first quarter in the city, and will make rather more in the second. On the other hand we’re still going to need to be careful.

‘We’ve kept our staff here on Engelngasse small, which has helped a lot, and those we have are willing and competent in what they do. Some young men of your class would have taken on a houseful, and a bigger house for that matter. But even so Margrit is going to need some help now you’re back, and the appearance of my lord Boromeo in Strelsau is an additional complication which will lead to new expense. I notice he brought no allowance with him from Tarlenheim. Also, it’s time we gave our Karl a proper and decent salary. He certainly deserves it; he’s doing the work of three servants, not one.’

Serge gave a rueful smile. ‘My dear uncle has tacitly decided that I’m going to carry the costs of my brother in his new life without bothering to ask if it’s fine with me. There is this advantage to it however. Since the boy will not have an independent income other than the pittance an ensign gets, he’ll be dependent on me and will have to live here when he’s not on duty. That means we’re in a position to keep close watch on him, which Colonel Dudley may not have counted on, but more of that in a moment. Anything else about money matters?’

‘My lord Boromeo must have a servant of his own. I would suggest that’s something we can ask our Karl’s advice about. The new boy will need to be someone he can work with and who can be trained up to do things his way.’

‘I agree. Karl’s been revealing some remarkable talents, not least an ability to read the characters of both men and horses which is exceptional for his age. By the way, what is his age?’

‘Twelve, sir. I corresponded with the rector of Ostberg, who sent a baptismal certificate and the information the boy was born on the 31st day of October in the year ’79 and baptised the following Sunday in his church.’

‘Well, that’s settled. I rather thought that he was too sturdy to be just eleven once he began filling out. No sign yet of maturity between his legs, but I don’t suppose it’ll be long in coming, as he’s eating well and regularly. Now, tell me if you turned up anything about Colonel Dudley and Captain Barkozy?’

Jan smiled a little maliciously. ‘It wasn’t an unpleasant journey back to Strelsau with the pair. They may be villains, but they’re affable enough gentlemen with it. They were quite happy to let me be their valet for the trip and the colonel was kind enough to reward me for my services quite generously. What he did not consider was that the access this gave me to his bags allowed me plenty of opportunity to read his correspondence.’

‘For shame, Janeczu.’

‘Indeed, sir. Unfortunately much of what might have interested me was in English, a language with which I have no acquaintance whatsoever. The German material was mainly related to his military business. I gather from it that the colonel will be decamping to Lombardy within the month, by way of Vienna, where he will be marshalling reinforcements for Prince Eugene. There were some items of correspondence with the prince, which were in French, a language I can mostly puzzle out. Now those as it turned out were the most interesting.

‘It appears that Prince Eugene of Savoy has considerable interest in what goes on at the courts of King Rudolf and Crown Prince Henry, indeed he’s fixing on our prince as his chief hope for bringing Ruritania into the wars against France and the Turks. He doesn’t think our king can be stirred to take sides against King Louis, or at least not unless Ruritania’s borders are directly threatened by the French. Prince Henry on the other hand has been described to him by our friend Colonel Dudley as a wilful and romantic youth obsessed with gaining fame through warfare.

‘The colonel believes it may be possible to entice him into the field in Lombardy or Hungary whatever the position King Rudolf has adopted on hostilities. Prince Eugene himself proposes to visit Strelsau before the campaigning season begins to better acquaint himself with the chances of inciting Prince Henry into a campaign of some sort. So we may expect his arrival in Easter week.’

‘Very interesting indeed, not least because I have a passion to meet this Prince Eugene, whose fame increases by the year. Anything else?’

‘One other thing, sir. There was a copy of an intelligence report that had come into the colonel’s hands. I assume it derived from an agent in Constantinople. It says the Grand Signior resides now at Adrianople and sickens daily. Power rests with the Grand Vizier, Mustafa the Wise, the one who recaptured Belgrade, who has ambitions to make good what was lost by the Turks in ‘88. There is rumour of a great campaign to be launched from Serbia, to take advantage of the Emperor’s distractions with the French. A powerful fleet is also to be launched into the Adriatic to harass the coasts and take advantage of the weakness of the Venetian Republic. I would imagine this might be a particular worry to Prince Eugene as to what’s likely to be going on in his rear while he’s campaigning across Lombardy.’

‘Well, well,’ mused Serge. ‘Aren’t we well-informed here in Engelngasse. I feel better set up for the day ahead. I must get down to the Marmorpalast and see what Willi von Strelsau has to tell me as to what’s going on here. There’s one other thing.’

‘Sir?’

‘The prince’s court has adopted periwigs. Yes, you may well wince. I have no intention of following the court in that, Janeczu, unless I receive an explicit order to that effect.’

‘I heartily agree, sir. Your hair is naturally thick and curling. A little styling and your natural head could not be bettered by a wig. I’ll send Karl out to find a barber, and then the boy and I will have a talk about engaging a page for my lord Boromeo.’

 

***

 

Karl balanced the leather pouch in his hand. ‘For me Master Jan? All of it?’

‘My lord thinks we’ve enough money in hand now to pay you a proper salary. We did promise you, and it’s no more, or not much more, than any manservant normally gets in this city. Gottlieb gets the same.’

‘But sir! It’s two whole crowns, and every week, as well as my food and clothing.’

‘I’m sorry it’s upset you,’ Jan replied tartly.

‘Oh sir, I didn’t mean to be ungrateful. But I’ve never had such money, and every week.’

Jan softened a bit. ‘If you’ll take my advice, you’ll put some aside. And you can do things you never did before, such as charity to the poor or the Church.’

The boy nodded seriously. ‘Is there anything else, sir?’

‘As it happens there is. My lord Boromeo must be equipped with all sorts of things for his new life, including his own servant. And I rather think you’ll be better placed than most to have an opinion on this. We really need another Karl Wollherz, but they’re in short supply. So what do you think? Does Strelsau contain anyone who could manage Boromeo von Tarlenheim?’

Typically, Karl engaged his brain rather than his mouth, and stood frowning in concentration for a while. ‘You’re right sir, it would need to be someone special. Lord Boromeo has had a rough time and will need careful handling by someone used to troubled boys. Can I take this afternoon and evening off if I’m not needed? There’s someone I need to look for, and he won’t be easy to find.’

‘One of your street friends, eh?’

‘Yes and no, sir.’

‘Hmm. Intriguing. Off you go, then.’

Half an hour later, a dirty child in nothing more than a ragged shirt and torn breeches padded out of Engelngasse and turned down Domstrasse. With practised ease he dodged between the crowds, evaded the guard at the Neustadt gate and skipped through the back lanes to emerge at the great Conduit on the Platz by a route known to few but street boys. He pondered the crowd around the spigots. Eventually he sidled up to a smaller child labouring to carry two filled water bags suspended from his thin shoulders by a wooden yoke.

‘Ere! Don’t think you’re gonna ... oh! Karl! We reckoned the winter’d finished you.’

‘Surprised you made it too, Wilchin. How did yer?’

‘A few of us found this abandoned, empty kiln, and we sheltered there.’

‘Really? Sounds familiar. How did yer ...?’

‘Odd really. This naked kid we’d not seen before. Not a stitch on him. He came dancing up to the Conduit in the middle of the first sleet storm and told me and the smaller ones huddling under the parapet there that he knew a hidey-hole from the weather, and we were to follow him.’

‘Let me guess. He was prettier than a girl, with black hair and really bright blue eyes.’

Wilchin looked suspiciously at him. ‘You know the kid?’

‘Yeah. I think so.’

‘Anyways. Wasn’t an invitation we could turn down in the circumstances. And it was just like he said. Dry and clean. A bit dark, but there was a big stack of kindling and an oil lamp inside, and we kept warm there through the worst of the weather. Not only that but we found some old fashioned silver coins which someone left in a pile in the sand. Enough so me and the little ones had a proper Christmas, and we bought shoes and coats at the shanky-dealer for those who had none!’

‘Jonas Niemand.’

‘Is that who the boy was? We never saw him again afterwards. Prob’ly froze to death. But I hope not, we owe him.’

‘No, he’s fine, and still resisting clothes. Let me help yer with these bags. Over to the Red Lion, right? Bet they still don’t make it much worth yer while. Now then. I’m looking for that boy I escaped with last year from those cruel friars. Remember him? Andreas his name was. He brought me to the Conduit gang.’

‘Yeah, I remember. He’s around, though he left the Conduit. He went to ground the same as the rest of us when the snow came. He’s getting big enough for scavenger work on Fleischergasse. Stinks like death as a result, but it makes him some money.’

‘I’ll go looking. Thanks Wilchin. Here, take this.’ Karl placed five pfennigs in the smaller boy’s hand, saying ‘Think of it as the payment the Red Lion won’t give yer.’

Off he danced through the crowded square, the thanks of the street boy lost in the bustle behind him. Andreas Wittig and Karl had met when they were both under the harsh tutelage of the friars, but while Karl had lost his home Andreas never had one. Previously a member of the Conduit gang, Andreas had gone on to be Karl’s instructor in the ways of the street and had administered the Conduit oath to him.

The great thing about his friend was his willingness to take responsibility, particularly for the little ones, and make sure others did too. Karl found him under the hooks and dripping carcasses of the Meat Shambles with two older lads, his bare legs spattered with blood and offal as he swept and washed the floors of the butcher’s shops. Andreas looked up wearily as Karl called to him from the door. He stretched and walked slowly over.

‘Looking for work, Wollherz?’ he asked. ‘What’s up with yer? We thought we’d lost yer over the winter. I looked for yer everywhere. I’d found a decent crib for us. They said you’d been picked up by a gentleman, y’know, one of those gentlemen. Yer looks pretty well fed under the dirt. What’s up?’

‘I got a job, Ando, a job better than yer could believe, and it so happens there’s another opportunity in the same household.’

The boy gave him a sharp look. ‘If it’s so good, why’re yer in rags?’

‘Needed to find yer, didn’t I. Easier like this. Interested?’

‘Is this on the level? You swear?’

‘Yeah. Look, there’s another boy I want yer to meet, he can explain things better than me. He’s taken the Conduit oath and already lived up to it. He helped Wilchin and the little ones get through the winter.’

‘This anything to do with that spooky kid who came out of the storm?’

‘Clever Ando. News gets round the gutters, don’t it. His name’s Jonas. Jonas Niemand. He likes water. Remember that bathing space by the river we used to use in summer, down behind the Hofburg? Meet yer under the tower when the Angelus bell rings from the Salvatorskirche. We can go down and talk to him and you can clean yerself up a bit at the same time. You really stink, mate.’

 

***

 

Serge found the Marmorpalast a little different from when he had left it. He presented himself to Graf Almaric at midday in the Great Hall and reported himself for duty.

‘My dear Sergius. You’ve been missed,’ the Groom said. ‘You may not leave again. Aloysius has been at war with Willi without you to keep the peace between them. Willi set his new periwig alight at the lever last Friday. Please go into His Royal Highness. He’s in the Presence Chamber. He’s been asking when you’re to return every day for the last fortnight.’

There had been changes to the Presence Chamber. A gilded throne had been set up on a dais against the west wall between two of the tall casements. Over it was a canopy of state backed by the arms of the Crown Prince as duke of Mittenheim. Guardsmen in a new style of uniform lined the West Gallery and kept the chamber doors. Armed with six-foot halberds, they wore white, gilded state tabards embroidered with the armorial dragon of Mittenheim. The approach to the prince’s presence was as a result somewhat more impressive than that to the king’s chambers in the Hofburg.

‘Ahah! Sergius! None too soon. Aloysius has challenged Willi and I’m afraid I may have to permit the duel.’ The prince, wearing his uniform as the colonel of the Prinzengarde, was posed in an attitude of command. An artist was at work on a great canvas beyond, on which the prince would eventually be depicted astride a great stallion, though his present seat was actually a chair perched up on a table.

‘Was this about the incendiary incident with the wig, sire?’

‘You heard. Well, I suppose I really must get my cousin to make his apology. He does take his boredom out on Aloysius, who is such a ready mark. Hopefully they’ll both be better behaved now you’re back.’

Serge observed the large grey periwig falling about the prince’s handsome and youthful face from under a plumed hat. He was not going to give his opinion on the subject of wigs unless it was forced from him.

‘So how was your visit to ... what did Willi call it? Oh yes. Outer Ruritania?’ The prince rolled out the phrase with a certain relish.

‘Very profitable on several counts, sire. It was good to see the family of course, and I found time to visit the famous house of Medeln, where my aunt is abbess. And I’ve brought my brother Boromeo back to the capital with me. Colonel Dudley, who is a friend of my father and uncle, has arranged him to be commissioned ensign into your guard, sire.’

‘Really! Two of you in the same regiment. You may present the young man at court when he is properly fitted out.’

‘You’re very kind, sire. He’ll be gratified.’

‘My brigade is to exercise on the Martzfeld next month, two foot regiments, including my own musketeers, are to march over from Mittenheim and camp in the park here. You’re to be aide-de-camp that day, and I have chosen to promote you major. How about that?’

‘My meteoric military career continues to astound me, your royal highness.’

The prince laughed so much he dropped his pose. ‘Damn me, we’ve missed you, Phoebus. Go find Willi and talk sense into him.’

Sergius bowed himself out. He made his way briskly to the east wing and ran up the stairs. There were voices from within Willi’s room when he tapped the door. When invited to open it, he found the object of his search with his feet up on his bed, lying alongside a girl.

‘Why, Phoebus! At last. Come kiss me. Don’t mind Dodie, she knows what a pervert I am, and I’ve told her all about you.’

Serge rolled his eyes. He rather guessed he was being punished for his long absence. He made a low bow to the girl. ‘Your royal highness,’ he said. ‘With your permission, may I strangle your cousin?’

Princess Dorothea Sophia gave a very attractive little laugh. ‘Well, sir. He’s not in the line of succession, so I would imagine it will be fine. Mere homicide, not treason. But some would miss him.’ She gave Willi a little kiss on the cheek.

‘Then I shall spare him for now, ma’am, and only at your intercession.’

‘Stop being a tedious courtier, Phoebus. You can be tiresomely polite you know.’

‘He’s in such a bad mood, my lord,’ the girl said. ‘It’s been all I could do not to strangle him myself.’

Serge seated himself on an armchair. ‘Would this have something to do with your setting fire to Graf Aloysius’s wig, Willi.’

The princess snorted her amusement. ‘It was priceless. Lady Ulrica told me all about it. Not that she was there in the chamber you know. But she watched it from behind the tapestry. Aloysius was doing duty with my brother’s lever and holding the basin while he ...’ she giggled. ‘Anyway, that’s when Willi set light to the wig from behind. The Graf dropped the bowl and its contents, splashing himself and my brother’s legs. It was sooo funny.’

Willi scoffed. ‘I have to confess it was calculated. He couldn’t draw on me, as he was in the royal presence. But as he was stamping out the conflagration he made do with some very rough words about my lineage and my ... er ... practices. I shall not sully this child’s ears by repeating them. Frankly, I think I should have been challenging him. What do you think of my wig, by the way?’

‘Are you seriously intending to go ahead with the encounter?’ the princess demanded.

‘Why not? I’ll be rid of the oaf, one way or another.’

‘I fear, ma’am, that Willi was being more calculating than he’s saying,’ Serge advised. ‘Willi, apart from the possibility that Aloysius might run you through, if you kill him it’s likely enough it would lead to your banishment from court, and indeed exile from the realm.’

‘Exactly! You see, Dodie. This is why I love this man so. He reads me like a rather trashy romance. It’s escape, whichever way it plays out.’

‘You have to apologise to Aloysius, Willi,’ Serge responded. ‘Zeus commands it, and he will be obeyed.’

‘You think so? You see, I don’t accept that. He can’t order me to apologise, because as a royal prince he is the fount of honour, and so he cannot command me to do a thing which would be so obviously against my own honour, bastard though I may be.’

Princess Dorothea sat up and jumped off the bed. ‘My lords, I’m off,’ she announced. ‘Maybe you can find arguments to talk Willi into sense, my lord Phoebus. I think that in the light of the bright sun, some of his darkness might disappear.’

Impressed at the girl’s confidence, intelligence and ready wit, Serge held the door and bowed her out. Then he turned to Willi. ‘You’re doing this to vex me, aren’t you.’

‘Not at all, dear. Though there was a time a week after you left when I was reduced to thoughts of running away and searching you out in Mongolia, or wherever you were.’

‘You exaggerate, you adorable fool. How I’ve missed you.’

‘What?’ Willi sat up startled. ‘Whence this language of passion?’

Serge began removing his clothing. ‘In the weeks I’ve had away, Wilhelm von Strelsau, I’ve come to realise that there’s a great hole in my life without you.’

A warm and blissful smile occupied the other boy’s face. ‘There’s a pretty obvious pun I could make at this point. But I am so moved it’s an opportunity I will pass by. Serge ... dare I say it?’

‘I rather thought I already had.’

‘I love you, my own golden god. Seriously. And not like any other. For you I’ll give up my mignons.’

‘Good, because that was the second thing I was going to say. Besides, with what I have in mind, they won’t be necessary in future.’

‘How the finances of the servant class will suffer ...’. Then another pair of lips stopped any further communication by Willi for quite some time.

 

***

 

Karl and Andreas picked their way down through the willows to the bank of the Starel. Above them were the parapets, emplacements and bartizans of the Great Citadel of Strelsau where it guarded the river approach to the city, but down here was only the peaceful gurgling of running water. They sat on a patch of pebbly sand under the overhanging bank and watched the great river slide slowly by. A fallen tree trunk had lodged at the bank and made a temporary peninsula which was causing the water upriver to swirl around in a minor whirlpool.

‘Nice down here,’ Andreas remarked. ‘So spill it, Karl. What’s going on.’

Karl scratched his head. ‘It’s really all about Jonas Niemand.’

‘The spooky elf boy,’ Andreas said.

‘That more or less sums him up. Let me tell you the story of how I first met him when I was hiding in the old kiln, and how he came looking for me in the ruined castle at Tarlenheim before Christmas.’

Andreas listened quietly and when Karl had finished he took a deep breath. ‘If I hadn’t heard what Wilchin had to say, I’d not have believed anything yer just said. But he described the same boy. I dunno though, Karl, it’s asking a lot.’

‘I know. So I’m gonna try something, and if it works you’ll have all you need to believe I’m on the level when I tell yer you gotta take the job in Engelngasse. Not just for the money, which is good, but ‘cos I needs yer help bad.’ Karl stood up and flexed his bare toes in the sand. ‘So, here goes.’ He called out in his high voice ‘Jonas Niemand! Jonas Niemand! JONAS NIEMAND!’

Karl had to live a long enough moment to suspect he had just made a fool of himself, before a dark, wet head emerged from the whirlpool and Jonas hauled himself up on to the grounded tree trunk. He perched there with his chin on his knees, shook his wet hair out of his eyes and, eyeing Andreas Wittig a little suspiciously, asked ‘Who’s this?’

Karl was both relieved and anxious. ‘Jonas! You said to call when I needed help. So I did. This is Andreas. He’s an old friend of mine and we need him.’

‘That so?’ The elven boy stood and climbed across the trunk to hop down on their little beach. The other two stood. Jonas sniffed at Andreas and made a grimace. ‘He stinks like dead things. Also his hair’s alive with little insects and his clothes too. Uggh.’

‘Don’t be mean, Jonas. He can’t help it. I was just as bad before Master Jan found me.’

‘Doesn’t he ever say anything?’ Jonas jerked his head towards Andreas.

‘Yer really real,’ the boy gasped.

‘Talent for the obvious,’ Jonas sniffed. ‘So why do we need him?’

‘You already know why, some of it anyway. The colonel and his friend have had Boromeo brought to the city, and he’s going to be under their control. Also I met another ghost.’

It was Jonas’s turn to be startled. ‘What!’

‘At the abbey. It was an old lady ghost. She knew all about you and the old Graf Oskar.’

Jonas slapped his forehead. ‘Her! It can only be Her. That wizard must have stirred Her up with making his spells in Her church. Now They are involved. That’s bad. Really bad.’

‘You know her? She seemed nice.’

‘You two, take your clothes off. In fact, New Boy, you can throw yours in the river. They’re disgusting.’

Staring at each other, the pair silently undressed. Andreas looked at Karl, who nodded, and he balled up his rags and threw them into the current, which spun them round and carried them away. He hugged his ribs and shivered.

‘It’s cold, Jonas,’ Karl said.

‘Not where we’re going. Now follow me.’ He led them up on to the trunk and stood them one on either side of him and clutched their hands. ‘When I say, we all jump together into the river. Right?’

‘But ... I can’t swim,’ protested Karl.

‘Don’t matter. Jump!’ And all three were swallowed up by the waters of the Starel, cold and dark in February.

There was the expected shock of freezing water as it closed around Karl’s head but when he opened his mouth by reflex, fearing the rush of water into his lungs, nothing of the sort happened. He took a normal breath. He opened his eyes and saw he was floating side by side with Jonas and Andreas in dim green-lit waters, which were now comfortably warm. Jonas put Karl on his back and, with the boy clutching his shoulders, began swimming powerfully into the depths below, tugging him along so fast that Karl could feel his long hair pulled behind him by his passage through the waters. Andreas followed on rather more slowly on his own power. A sandy bottom came into view, still quite well lit from above. It was scattered with glinting objects, ancient swords and shields, carved stones and white bulbous things that on closer observation turned out to be human skulls.

They stood together on the sands. Jonas opened his mouth and spoke, and though his words were strangely distorted, they were perfectly comprehensible. ‘So this is my house ... well, one of them.’

‘We’re not in the river now, are we Jonas,’ Karl stated.

‘No. But not far away. Maybe one day I’ll show you where. You, New Boy. Start rubbing all that blood and shit off your legs. Then I’d better do a spell and get rid of your lice and other horrible things in your insides if you’re going to be any use to us.’

Andreas was looking scared. ‘What’s inside me?’

‘You don’t want to know. There. All gone. Just clean off your legs and you’ll be getting presentable. So both sit here on this coffin next to me. It’s fine. It’s been empty for a very long time. Tell me about this lady ghost.’ He listened intently. ‘Yep. It’s Her alright, sucked back into the world by that blast of magic, and something tells me she’s brought her own plans along. She’s already got you worked out, Karl.’

‘She seemed very kind and good to me,’ Karl asserted.

‘Oh, she is. Don’t get me wrong. I used to know her when she was alive. I must have mentioned her. That old castle where we met was her home once, long ago. But the thing is, she and her friends have their own schemes and plans, which aren’t going to be the same as mine. Drat!’

‘But They’ll want to save my lord Boromeo too won’t they?’

‘Let’s just say that unlike you and me, They won’t see it as a failure if Boromeo von Tarlenheim doesn’t survive their plans. Their outlook on things isn’t fully human any more.’ He sighed, and then took both boys round the shoulder. ‘You did right to call me, Karl. So tell me exactly why you need New Boy.’

‘Andreas. My lord Serge and Master Jan all by themselves are beginning to suspect that the colonel and Barkozy have a deep plot. It’s their idea to employ a new page for Boromeo. So I thought it’d be a good chance to add a pair of eyes.’

Jonas seemed struck by that observation. Finally he turned to Andreas. ‘Karl is my good friend and I trust him. Now he says I should trust you too. Can I?’

‘Er ... yes my lord Elf.’

‘It’ll be dangerous enough.’

‘I’m up for it, my lord. Wollherz and me have been through a lot together already. We’ve all here sworn the Conduit oath.’

Jonas stood and pulled Andreas up next to him. He clasped the boy by both cheeks and stared into his eyes for a long moment. Then he nodded. ‘You’ll do. Any idea how we find Andreas some clothes?’

There was no alternative but for Andreas to hide and shiver as Karl reassumed his clothing after they were returned by Jonas to the river bank. Karl had brought some of his salary down into the Neustadt with him when he went seeking Andreas, enough to buy a pair of boy’s culottes and a coat at the used clothing stall on Modenheimstrasse. Karl was assured they’d been fumigated before being put on sale. After he returned to the river and his friend was dressed again they went back up into the city to reclaim Andreas’s shoes and small bag of personal items, which he had left concealed in his sleeping place before he went to work in the Shambles.

‘You’re looking shabby, but at least clean,’ Karl pronounced.

‘And I’m not lousy anymore. Not in the least itchy and the rash is gone from my tummy. What did that elf do to me?’

‘He cleaned you outside and in. Look at your legs. Not a speck on them and your hair even smells nice. Just as well ‘cos we’ll be back sharing a bed together, I suspect. I think he did a lot more for you than he said he had. The Lady said that just being in the same place as him changes you. She’s right too. I see things I never saw before and hear things in people’s voices I never heard before I met him. Best of all, I can even hear what our horses are thinking! So I know Master Jan will agree with me and give you the job.’

‘Yer voice is changed too. Before, yer was talking like the streets. Now yer talking like a lord does.’

 

***

 

Jan Lisku surveyed the youth Karl Wollherz had brought up from the Neustadt. He was bare-legged and in shabby clothes, but they were at least clean. Considering the boy’s circumstances, about which he had been perfectly honest, his physical state was impressive. Margrit had certified him free of fleas, lice and obvious infections. The boy’s face was fresh and open, and his eyes clear and grey. In short, Jan had never seen a healthier street urchin, though he was on the thin side. He appeared a little older than Karl. Though unsure of his exact age he thought he might be thirteen, which seemed about right.

‘So what qualifications can you claim, Andreas?’

‘I works hard, sir. I’m patient and can learn.’

‘Do you read?’

‘No sir.’

‘Can you ride?’

‘Yes sir, a bit.’

‘Hmm. Karl may be able to help you there. He’s picked up his letters like – and excuse the image – a dog picks up fleas and his abilities with horses are nothing less than remarkable. You’ll be signed up with him for catechism at the Veronkenkirche next week. I expect you’ll have to be conditionally baptised since I suspect you have no idea as to whether you have or have not been, or even where you were born.’

‘Does this mean I gets the job, sir?’

‘It does. Take this note to Herr Meisel on Domstrasse. He’ll measure you and fit you for a red livery coat and will provide from stock all the essentials in stockings, shirts, undercoats, drawers and so on, two sets. A good thing for us is that as you grow and have to be refitted your old coats will nicely fit Karl, which’ll save us on expense. So keep your gear clean and neat. Herr Meisel won’t expect payment from you as we have an account with his shop.

‘Now when you get back, Karl will begin instructing you in the duties of a page. They begin tomorrow when my lord Boromeo’s military gear arrives from the outfitters.’

‘Oh sir! Does this mean I gets to clean his weapons and suchlike?’

‘I wouldn’t let Karl near my lord Sergius’s, but in your case we’ll have to trust you, as you’ll be travelling with your master. I’ll have my eye on you, mind.’

‘Yes sir. Thank you sir.’

‘Well, off you go. You’ll meet my lord Boromeo tomorrow, when you’re looking more respectable. Has Karl told you the salary?’

‘Yes sir. It’s amaz ... er .. acceptable.’

Jan Lisku permitted himself a smile and sent the boy on his way.

 

***

 

Serge held Willi in front of him. It had been a lazy afternoon spent entirely in bed. His lover’s body was warm and smooth and his small buttocks nestled nicely into his groin, which was advertising that he was ready for a repeat performance. Willi had been sleeping, and stirred as Serge kissed his shoulders.

‘Hmm, that’s nice,’ Willi sighed happily. ‘It’s all nice.’

‘Feeling good about life, idiot?’

‘Oh yes. And you really, really love me?’

‘I adore you, beloved lunatic: your honesty, your humour and courage. Everything about you is perfect for me.’

Willi gave a low laugh. ‘You didn’t say my looks, so I have to assume you’re telling the truth.’

‘Don’t spoil it. There’s a lot to be said for your slim body and your cul, it’s adorable.’

‘You did an ‘F’ on me, an ‘F’!’

‘And that’s another thing. That notebook you keep in your cuff, it’s retired from now on.’

‘Happy to comply, Major the Freiherr von Tarlenheim.’

‘Why did Zeus do it?’

‘The promotion? Who knows, but I give my cousin credit for seeing things he can use in people. Henry’s singled you out as definitely officer material. It’s in your blood. Besides, there’s something about you, my love, that makes people want to agree with you and always do what you want.’

‘Good, because I want you to settle your score with Aloysius off the duelling ground.’

‘Well ... I would, since my life has taken a radical turn for the better in the past three hours, but how can I do it and keep what little honour I have intact?’

‘You just can’t say sorry, can you,’ Serge stated.

‘Very well, I will, if you do me once more ... and make it last.’

‘Mercenary.’

They dressed well in time for compline and the ceremonial coucher. Serge noticed a change in the chapel order. Prie dieux were set side by side for the prince and Ulrica von Ebersfeld, who was openly occupying the place of a wife at the Marmorpalast and being treated within his household with all the prerogatives of a princess, including an escort of ladies-in-waiting. Had Henry the power, she would have been raised to a title by now. The presence of two of his sisters in the chapel plainly aggravated the prince, since it meant he could not walk alongside his mistress. Court protocol required her to take her place after the princesses in the procession through the doors.

Serge, Willi and Graf Aloysius processed from the Chapel to the Presence Chamber, Serge strategically placed between them. Princess Dorothea Sophia plainly shared her brother’s opinion of protocol where it hindered her association with her friend Lady Ulrica, for she took the lady’s arm and they walked side-by-side behind the prince. As they reached the point of the prince’s ceremonial leave-taking, the princess interrupted her brother.

‘My lord,’ she said, and Serge observed her wink as she caught his eye. ‘There has been much ill blood in your presence this past week, which has been distressing to your court.’

Prince Henry was clearly surprised at the intervention. ‘What say you, sister?’

‘My lord Von Strelsau and my lord Aloysius have been at odds, and it has disrupted the harmony one expects before our prince.’

‘Dodie, what’s going on?’ Henry said.

‘I think my lord Von Strelsau has something to say. Am I right Willi?’

Willi was less than taken aback by the princess’s intervention. Clearly this had been planned. ‘Her Royal Highness my cousin is right, sire. I much regret my behaviour last week, which was so very inappropriate in the presence of the prince. I would then like to offer my full apology to my lord Graf Aloysius as to my behaviour and pray his forgiveness.’

The prince paused a moment, then looked over at his First Groom, who was likewise taken by surprise. ‘Well my lord, what say you? Will you take Willi’s hand? He has offered full satisfaction.’

The stubborn resentment on the man’s face caused immediate qualms in Serge’s heart. ‘I will not,’ he growled. ‘The bastard will stand to my sword.’

The prince looked coolly round. ‘Then sir, your quarrel is now with me. You have disdained the peace of my court and insulted me both as your prince and as a kinsman of my lord Strelsau. Captain of the Guard, clear the chamber. Bring my swords. My lord Sergius will second me, and the Graf Almaric will second the Graf Aloysius. NOW!!

Copyright © 2020 Mike Arram; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

The plot is becoming quite complicated. Even the unearthly components have differing agendas. Jonas' motives seem more altruistic than those of Fenice.

So far Serge remains in the dark over all the mystical skullduggery and it's just as well. He has enough to handle juggling Boromeo, Dudley, and now Willi.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Woah. That was a major mis-step by Aloysius.

I wonder what it is about Boromeo that Jonas is determined in saving him? Looking at it clinically/in the scheme of things, if Boromeo can be used as suggested, would it not be easier to get rid of him? Why complicate it, unless there is something else going on as well? And if he and Serge are brothers, why Boromeo and not Serge as well? Do they not share the same blood?

I wonder what is in store for Willi? Does the ring prove his legitimacy? Why is that important?

Love it, love it, love it!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Willi not only apologized, he managed to turn everything around and make Aloysius the guilty party! It’s no wonder he has survived despite the disadvantage of his parentage. He knew Aloysius would be too stubborn to accept his apology.
;–)

It amuses me that even in the past, troublesome or aimless young men were sent to the military to rehabilitate their lives, provide direction, and give society value for their otherwise worthless lives. Of course, that also means that there are times when those trait resurface at importune times, causing rapes, pillaging, and other undesirable or heinous crimes. The control the military imposes is sometimes a thinner veneer than the rest of us would wish when we send our dregs to be reformed. And, naturally, not all who join the military are there for the same reasons.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..