Jump to content
    Naptowngirl
  • Author
  • 3,438 Words
  • 2,702 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Urban Knights - 4. Chapter 4 Reminiscing...

Tony stepped inside the dark living room, home for the evening after getting kicked out of the hospital. He was instructed to get some rest and come back in the morning. He leaned against the door, closing it with his back while kicking off his shoes. He sighed exhaustedly as he tossed his keys on the table before vigorously rubbing his temples, trying to massage away the pounding inside his head. As he made his way toward the kitchen, he stopped by the mini bar scanning its contents.

“Ahhh…" He said grabbing the ¾ full bottle of Jack Daniels and continued down the hall.

Though this was not the first time he was home alone, today was different. There was a different reason Drew was not there. He clicked on the kitchen light and glanced around the sterile area. Drew was a neat freak, unlike himself. Their kitchen was so clean; they could actually eat off the floors.

He opened the cabinet to the left side of the sink where their medicines were kept, fishing around until he found a bottle of Motrin. He rested his back against the counter and opened the cap, shaking a few pills into the palm of his hand. He tossed them in his mouth and opened the bottle of Jack, taking a long swig to wash them down. His body shook violently as the brown liquid washed down his throat sending a warming sensation through him. He sighed closing his eyes tightly taking another sip; this one was a little kinder to the palate.

A soft smile formed as he thought back to a few nights ago when he walked in on his husband cleaning.

Flash back

Drew blissfully swept the kitchen floor as he listened to the song 'Fire' by the Pointer Sisters playing on the radio. He danced around the kitchen, the broom as his partner, as he happily sung the lyrics – off key.

“I say I don’t love you, but you know I’m a liar!” He bellowed into the end of the broomstick, and dipped it before swiftly bringing it back up. He then started doing the moon walk sweeping the broom from side to side across the floor as he continued, “Cause when we kiss…” He sang along with the radio and did a spin, swinging the broom outwards then bringing it back to him. He gripped the top. “Oooh... fire!” Then he turned the broom sideways and pretended to strum it like a guitar.

Drew swung his hips from side to side, moving the broom with him as the music continued. His favorite part was coming up and he planted the yellow bristles of the broom firmly on the floor. He didn’t hear Tony standing in the doorway, leaning against the frame of the door, his arms crossed over his chest, one leg crossed over the other watching his performance in amusement.

“Well your kisses they burn... but my heart stays cool….” He sung as he slowly shimmied his shoulders to the beat. He leaned down a bit and bellowed, “Well, Romeo and Julie-”

Tony couldn’t hold it back any longer as a boisterous laugh erupted, startling Drew.

“UGH! Damn it, Tony!” Drew yelled grabbing his chest. “You trying to give me a heart attack?” He pouted through a nervous laugh.

“No…” Tony chuckled walking over to Drew who stood the broom against the wall. Tony opened his arms to take Drew into them. “You just looked too adorable to stop you.” He confessed. He tilted his head slightly and smiled, attempting to look into Drew’s eyes.

Drew fell into his embrace resting his head against Tony’s chest, relishing in the comfort of his husbands caress. He lifted his head, gazing up into the sea of dark blue eyes lovingly admiring him. Their gaze intense as their mouths drew closer together until their lips touched fitting together perfectly.

“Mmm…” Drew moaned deepening the kiss allowing Tony’s tongue to fill his mouth. A kiss that only lasted a few seconds rendered them breathless, Tony pulled back resting his forehead against Drew’s.

“I love you, you know that?” He smiled warmly, caressing Drew’s cheek.

“Umhum…” Drew grinned still caught up in the moment, “You get it?” He asked through bated breath.

“I sure did.” Tony nodded with a sinister smile holding up the brown paper bag from the adult toy store down the street, “You ready?”

“Yep…” Drew laughed grabbing Tony by the hand dragging him out of the kitchen.

Beep Beep! Beep Beep! End of flashback

The chirping of his phone pulled Tony from his thoughts. He sighed as he retrieved it from his pocket.

“Paris.” He spoke with a slight irritation. He leaned back against the counter and listened intently to the caller on the other end nodding with understanding. “Okay, I have a few things to take care of in the morning, but I’m free in the afternoon.” He replied. “Yeah…yeah, that works.” He turned up the bottle of whiskey and took another sip. “I’ll call you when I’m ready.” He stated before ending the call.

He placed the phone and bottle on the kitchen counter; reached into his pocket and pulled out the paper Daryl handed him at the crime scene.

“This is just the beginning, Paris, more will die.” He read aloud. “Nawh, Spade, just you.” Tony said his voice raspy and deep. He crumbled the paper in his fist and tossed it into the trash. He grabbed the bottle of whiskey off the counter, cut off the light and headed off to shower.

~*~*~the following morning

He stepped off the elevator feeling a little dazed from the night before as he walked down the hall toward room 2C. The captain ordered he take the rest of the week off, so he was dressed very casual wearing gray sweat pants and a gray hoodie. He wore his Chicago Bulls baseball cap backwards on his head.

“Good morning, Mr. Paris.” One of the nurses greeted him before he stepped inside the room.

“Morning.” He smiled kindly as he placed his hand on the handle and stepped inside.

He stood back watching the nurse scurrying about Drew’s bed, jotting down notes in his chart.

“Good morning.” She called over her shoulder. “You’ve got a visitor.” She smiled to her patient as she closed the chart. “You must be Tony.” She said stepping aside.

“Hey…babe.” Drew smiled, propped up resting his back against the pillows. He extended his hand to him as he stood flabbergasted, a huge grin forming as he hurried toward him.

“Baby, aren’t you a sight for these tired eyes of mine.” Tony laughed excitedly taking Drew’s hand into his placing a soft kiss on his waiting lips. The nurse ducked her head stepping back watching the two and smiled.

“I’ll come back later.” She whispered in Tony’s ear.

“Okay…” He nodded quickly never taking his eyes off Drew. He heard the door close softly behind him.

“How long have you been awake?” He asked still holding Drew’s hand with his left, using the right one to pull the chair over to the bed.

“Not long…” Drew smiled as he squeezed Tony’s hand tighter.

“I wanted to be here when you woke up.” He explained as he sat down next to the bed. “But they kicked me out.” He said lowering his head.

“Its okay, Tony, you need your rest.” Drew said lovingly as he caressed the back of Tony’s hand. “Did you catch them?” He asked.

“Catch them?” Tony repeated with a slight tilt of the head.

“Yeah…the guys at the house.” He clarified.

“Um…” Tony cleared his throat. “About that,” He eyed him, careful with his words. “It wasn’t a random call.” Drew arched his brows suspiciously, as he listened. “It was a set up.”

“A set up?”

“Yeah…” Tony nodded, “It was meant for us… for me, to get that call.”

“Damn it…” Drew said faintly. “Spade.” Drew stated more than asked.

“Spade.” He confirmed.

“How do we know for sure?” He questioned adjusting himself against his pillow.

“He sent me a message stating that was just the beginning and more would die.” Tony explained.

“What about the woman…is she okay, did she make it?” Drew asked sincerely concerned. Tony closed his eyes tightly and shook his head.

“No…”

"Shit..." Drew said faintly resting his head back against the pillow. “And the guy in the alley… the one who shot me, did we get any answers from him?” Again, Tony shook his head slowly and sighed.

“Dead…”

“Who shot…Tony…” Drew sighed in an exhausted tone. Knowing his husband…partner took down the shooter.

“I had to, Drew.” Tony defended, anger rising in his voice.

“Did we get a name at least?” Drew asked hopeful, not pushing the other issue.

“No ID...Nothing.” Tony answered, “However, it has been confirmed from the streets he worked for Spade.” He offered as a consolation.

Drew closed his eyes resting his head back against the pillow. “That means he’s still out there…Still on the loose.” He raised his head giving Tony a sideways glance. “That means you are still in danger. I’ve got to get out of here.” He stated frantically. He sat up quickly wincing at the pain attempting to pull out his IV.

“NO!” Tony shouted grabbing Drew’s hand. “Stop it!”

“But…” Drew protested enduring the pain still trying to break free. “You need me.”

“No…Drew. I need you safe…I need you well.” Tony said trying to control his tone and the rage within him. “Please…” His and Drew’s conversation went from partners to husbands in a matter of seconds.

“Okay…okay.” Drew conceded reluctantly. He sighed resting back in the bed combing his shaking fingers through his hair.

“We’re on it Drew I promise I’ll…um… we.” He quickly corrected, “will get that bastard.” Drew shook his head understanding exactly what Tony was really saying.

“Will you promise me one thing?” He asked taking Tony’s hand.

“Sure…whatever you want babe”

“While you’re out there on the streets…remember, you’re a cop first.” He eyed his husband cannily.

“I will….” Tony smiled looking lovingly into Drew’s eyes. They shared a strained silence for a moment. Both forced a smile and both knew Tony was lying. Their knowing trance was broken with the sounds of jovial voices entering the room.

“There’s our boy.” A deep authoritative voice called out.

“I told you we would find him here.” A softer voice added.

“Mom…Dad?” Tony stood abruptly. “What are you doing here?”

“How’s my son?” Tony’s mother asked glaring as she sidestepped him.

“I’m fine mom.” Drew smiled at his mother-in-law, turning his cheek up to receive her kiss.

Tony stepped back out of the way and stood by his father. “How did you know?” He asked in a hushed tone as he watched his mother fuss over Drew making sure he was comfortable.

“His dad called last night.” He stood with is his hands clasped behind his back. “You’re in trouble.” He spoke out the corner of his mouth still posing a fake smile for his wife’s benefit.

“Shit…”

“Watch your mouth boy, there’s a lady present. Who happens to be your mother.” He added.

“Sorry.” Tony ducked his head shyly as a little boy would.

“Hey, you guys made it.” Drew’s father said as they entered the room.

“And look who’s awake.” His mom exclaimed joyfully making her way over to Drew, and Tony’s mother.

“Yes, doesn’t he look great?” Mrs. Paris said stepping back allowing the other mom to see her son.

“He does.” She agreed kissing him on the forehead. “How do you feel son?” She asked combing her fingers through his bangs. The men stood back watching the women doting over Drew.

“We figured you would be here.” Drew’s dad explained. “We brought breakfast.” He held up the bag filled with a variety of croissants filled with eggs, bacon, sausage, and cheese.

“Why don’t we go to the cafeteria and get coffee?” Tony’s dad suggested.

“That sounds like a plan.” Drew’s father agreed.

“You go ahead, I’ll stay here.” Tony nodded toward Drew crossing him arms over his chest, not wanting to leave his husband unless it was necessary.

“Okay….ladies?” Tony’s dad inquired.

“I’ll take cream and sugar.”

“Tea for me.” Drew’s mom ordered.

“Coming right up.” Both men said in unison before heading out the door.

“Come Tony, sit down.” Drew patted beside him. Tony smiled as he made his way toward the bed. He sat down beside Drew and took his hand, bringing it to his mouth kissing it gently before he laced their fingers together.

“So how are you really doing?” Drew’s mom asked with concern sitting down in the chair next to his mother in-law. She glanced worriedly between the two men awaiting an answer.

“Well the surgery was clean. According to the nurse, the bullets missed all my vital organs.”

“Oh my god.” Tony’s mom gasped gripping her chest. “Thank goodness.”

“Yeah so they are going to give me a couple of HBO therapy session before sending me home.” Drew added.

“HBO?” His mother questioned.

“They’re sending you home?” Tony asked excitedly. “When?”

Drew nodded and smiled toward his husband but answered his mother’s question. “Yes, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy.” He clarified.

“It’s used for several different things. It’s high concentrated forms of oxygen used to supercharge the body’s natural healing process, actually healing from the inside out.” Tony explained. “It’s used for healing wounds, burns, and infections.”

“Yeah…” Drew agreed, “They put you in this long cylinder and pump you full of pure oxygen.” He smiled happily.

“That’s great.” Tony exclaimed, with their mothers nodding in agreement. “So when do you get to come home?” Tony again asked impatiently.

“Well they’ll start the treatments this afternoon, so I’m thinking in a couple of days…maybe.”

“What’s wonderful. I’ve missed you so much.” Tony said leaning over and kissing Drew on the mouth.

“I’ve missed you too Tony, but it’s only been one night.” He laughed.

“And…” Tony countered. They continued back and forth teasingly as their mothers watched on in amusement.

“I seem to remember a certain someone being antsy about being apart for thirty minutes.” Drew’s mom smiled winking at Tony’s mother.

“Thirty minutes. Try five.” Tony’s mom giggled.

“Are you talking about us?” Drew questioned giving his mothers a sideways glance.

“Yes we are.” His mom replied. “I remember it like it was yesterday.”

“UmHum…” Tony’s mom agreed sitting back into her chair with a reflective look in her eyes.

Flash back

The time 4:45pm April 10th the wedding was to start at six sharp. Drew and Tony had chosen a quaint little chapel nestled on a winery located outside Chicago in Bloomingdale Ill. Their guest list consisted of family only. Parents, siblings, cousins and a few close aunts and uncles, fifty total in attendance. No friends or co-workers were invited due to the nature of their union.

Drew’s younger sister served as the flower girl, while their fathers were each other’s best man. Their colors were a simple black and white with the slightest trims of gold laced throughout. Perfect for an evening wedding.

Tony’s mother had just finished with the florist. The flowers in the wedding chapel consisted of white Lilies, orchard and red roses. She excitedly hurried off to deliver the boutonnières to the grooms. She stepped speedily, a woman on a mission, each step echoing off the hollow halls. Her mind was a million miles away going over a mental list making sure everything was perfect.

Her hasten steps now slower as she tilted her head focusing on the voices heard up ahead. She slowly turned the corner and sighed, watching her son coming from his groom’s room adjusting his suit and tie unaware he had an audience.

“Tony?” She questioned surprised.

“Mom!” Tony’s eyes darted up as a deer caught in headlights.

“Isn’t that Drew’s room?” She asked pointing toward the door he just exited, already knowing the answer.

“Ummm… Uhhh…” Tony stammered. “Well you see…”

“Ummm…Uhhh…Yeah I see alright.” His mom smirked eyeing him shrewdly. “My god boy…have you know shame.” She asked shoving his boutonniere against his chest.

“Oh…thanks.” Tony said through a nervous laugh clutching the rose boutonnière awkwardly within his grasp.

“Your dad is downstairs waiting for you.” She said shooing him off before heading to Drew’s room. “Open the door Drew, but make sure you’re decent first.” She said glaring at her son walking down the hall. “These boys I’ll tell you are going to give me a heart attack.” She sighed as she waited for Drew to open the door.

End of Flash back

The two women shared a laugh at their son’s expense. Drew buried his head against Tony’s chest trying to hide his embarrassment.

“It was a beautiful ceremony.” Drew’s mom remembered fondly.

“I love you.” Drew mouthed to Tony receiving a warm smile as they watched their moms reminisce.

“I was showing pictures at work for over a month.” Tony’s mom laughed.

“Me too. And the song they did their first dance to.”

“’United Together’…by the queen, Aretha Franklin.” Tony added quickly. “I picked that song.” He stated proudly,

“A perfect song…” Drew smiled softly into husband’s eyes gripping his hand tightly.

The rest of the morning was spent with their parents chatting, eating, and enjoying the fact that Drew was going to be okay. The doctor came in giving Drew a clean bill of health. As long as he was healing okay, he could go home tomorrow, with strict orders to take it easy, to which the entire family promised.

~*~*~*~Later that evening

“Hey….” Mona stepped into the room quietly.

“Mona…” Drew looked up from the book he was reading with a pleasant expression on his face. “How are you…come in.” He motioned setting the book in his lap.

“The question is how you are?” She smiled as she made her way over to her friend’s bed.

“Besides getting shot, I’m great.” Drew teased.

“Keep your day job mister and leave the jokes to the comedians.” She stated with a smile though only half teasing. “We were all worried to death about you.” She said as she pulled up a chair sitting down beside him.

“I know…” Drew replied sadly.

“Back up…always wait for back up, Drew. You know that.” She reprimanded him sternly.

“I know…I’m sorry I worried you.”

“It’s okay.” She smiled caressing the top of Drew’s hand. She sighed glancing around the room. “Where’s that husband of yours?”

“Oh my god…” Drew ducked his head. “It feels funny hearing people say that.” He said shyly.

“Well he is…” She laughed.

“I know…” Drew agreed. “And a wonderful one at that.” He beamed proudly.

“Well I’m glad it’s out and you two don’t have to hide it anymore.” Mona said, “I just hope the meeting with the captain goes well.” She sighed.

“Me too. I wish I could be there with him.” Drew said sadly running his fingers over the stitching on his sheets playing with them absent-mindedly.

“Nawh…” Mona waived off dismissively. “Tony’s a big boy. He can handle Captain Morgan.”

“I think you’re right.” Drew laughed. “As quiet as it’s kept, I think he’s pretty fond of Tony.”

“Yeah…” She agreed. “Wait, where is Tony…you never said.”

“I’m not sure actually.” Drew replied rubbing his chin thoughtfully. “He got a call. Stepped outside to take it. And a few minutes later came back in and said he had to go and he would be back later this evening.” Drew said with a casual shrug of the shoulder.

“Hummm…” Mona nodded with a faraway look in her eyes.

“What?”

Mona sighed, “I’m not sure Drew, but word through the pipe is Daryl, Tony and the rest of the squad have something going on…a plan to catch Spade.” She stated with concern.

“Wait…you don’t think?” Drew asked his eyes fearful.

~*~*~*~

“Tony, man how’s Drew?” Daryl asked as Tony got into the car.

“He’s good.” He answered as he buckled his seat belt, keeping focused on the task. “So where is he?” He asked as Daryl put the car in drive and pulled out into the oncoming traffic.

“Third and Senate. Deep in the hood.” Daryl said glancing over to Tony before turning his attention back to the road. The ride; a solemn one, neither man saying a word, both focusing on one thing… Spade. Daryl smiled as he glanced over to Tony who pulled out is 40 caliber Beretta Pistol, examining it carefully, checking is mechanism for surety.

“You ready?”

“Hell yeah…” Tony replied shoving the gun back in his side holster. “Let’s do it….”

Tony and Daryl take to the streets in search of Spade unbeknowst to Drew.
Copyright © 2011 Naptowngirl; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..