Jump to content
    NightOwl88
  • Author
  • 22,131 Words
  • 2,310 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2010 - Winter - Haunted Entry

Tipping the Hourglass - 1. Story

Tipping the Hourglass

By NightOwl

Parker watched from the sidewalk as his new next door neighbor moved into the apartment across the street from his and his mom’s apartment. He seemed like a nice man, he smiled and waved to him when Parker first saw him.

“Parker what are you doing out there?” His mom’s voice reached him and Parker shivered a bit at the edge in her voice. She wasn’t really a mean person but since daddy left she had been upset.

“I’m out here mommy, I’m watching the neighbor man move in.” Parker called back as he bounced his ball in front of him, his dark brown hair falling in front of his eyes; he really wished his mom would take him to get his hair cut.

“What neighbor man?” His mother asked as she stepped out of their apartment, drying her hands on a dish rag.

Parker only pointed across the street to the man carrying a large box into one of the apartments across the street.

He was a really tall man, at least as tall as his daddy had been and he was thin too. He couldn’t see what color his hair was because he had a white and black rag on his head, his daddy use to carry one like it in his back pocket, only it was red; his mommy had called it a bandanna.

“He kinda looks like daddy…can we go say hi mommy, please? He smiled and waved at me when he first got here.” Parker asked as he looked up at his mommy…even he couldn’t miss the she flinched when he said ‘daddy’.

“But we don’t have to…if you don’t want to.” Parker said as he looked down at the bright red ball in his hands…his mommy always got upset when he talked about his daddy.

Since he was looking down Parker didn’t see the sad look his mom gave him when he looked away from her. Her deadbeat husband walking out on them had been very hard on her son; he idolized the man even though most days he hardly wanted anything to do with his son.

Parker had believed him every time his dad told him that they’d play later, or go to the park tomorrow, or that he’d read him a bedtime story and every time it never happened he believed the older man’s excuses and promises that he’d make it up to him.

“Come in and eat your lunch and maybe when you’re done we can go over and say hello to him.” She said and Parker’s face lit up, for some reason he really wanted to meet the man across the street.

Parker wrapped his arms around his mommy's waist and smiled. Margaret hugged her son back with one arm as she wiped a tear from her eye with the other, she knew she hadn’t been at her best since her husband walked out, leaving her with an eight year old to raise and a small mountain of debt, but she loved her little boy.

Parker followed his mom back into the little apartment and into the kitchen/dinning room for his lunch. He smiled even more widely when he saw the grilled cheese sandwich and the little pile of broccoli on the plate.

That was something Parker always got made fun of for when he was in school, he liked all the vegetables that his friends hated and broccoli was his favorite.

“Thanks mommy.” Parker said as he picked up a piece and munched on it.

Margaret watched her son for a few moments before she turned back to her dishes in the sink. As she did so she looked over to the clock by the fridge, she only had another three hours till she had to be at work. She really hated leaving Parker to a sitter for such a long time but with Allen gone she had to find a full shift job to make ends meet.

“Mommy is Paula babysitting again today?” Parker asked through a mouthful of grilled cheese sandwich.

“Yea honey, she is.” Margaret said with a sigh. She knew that Parker didn’t like Paula very much for some reason but he wouldn’t tell her why, she had asked both him and Paula on several occasions if something had happened but both steadfastly denied any incidents.

Even with that Margaret had become concerned about Parker’s behavior and had started to look for a new sitter, unfortunately though none of the other sitters she found with more experience were willing to work for eight hours on what she could pay.

“Ok…,” Parker said a little dejectedly as he finished his sandwich and broccoli, “Can we go meet the neighbor man now please?” He asked, his face breaking into a smile.

Margaret sighed a little as she put the last plate into the dish strainer and pulled the stopper on the sink. She really wasn’t in the mood to go people greeting but Parker seemed adamant about it so she agreed to go.

“YAY!!” Parker hollered as he jumped out of his chair and ran to and out of the front door.

Margaret smiled and followed her son at a more sedate pace, he knew better than to cross the little street between the apartment rows without her so she wasn’t worried.

Just like she knew he would be, once she stepped outside she saw her son standing on the sidewalk that separated their front lawn and the street that separated the apartment complex.

“Moooom hurry up.” Parker said as he bounced up and down impatiently.

Margaret smiled and took her son’s hand and the two of them crossed the street together. Once they were across Parker pulled out of her grasp and scrambled up the steps to the apartment. Unlike the apartments on her side of the street the apartments across from them were set on a small incline.

“Can I ring the bell?” Parker asked once they reached the little porch and Margaret nodded with a smile.

Without hesitation Parker stood on tiptoes and pressed the doorbell three times in quick succession.

“Hold on, be right there.” A male voice called from inside the apartment, Parker smiled, he was practically brimming with excitement.

They didn’t have long to wait, soon the door opened to reveal the tall, thin, scruffy man that had smiled and waved at Parker earlier.

“Hi, I’m Parker and this is my mommy, we live across the street.” Parker piped up as the man stepped out onto the porch with them.

“Hello Parker,” The man said as he squatted down in front of Parker, a wide smile on his face, “My name is Pike, August Pike, it is very good to meet you, my friend’s just call me Pike though.” He said as he held out his hand to Parker.

Parker laughed at the funny name and shook Pike’s hand with a smile.

“It’s good to meet you too Mrs…?” Pike asked as he stood up and held his hand out to Margaret.

“It’s Ms, actually, and you can just call me Margaret.” She said as she took the offered hand, she didn’t know what it was but there was something very familiar about Pike. Like Parker said he did look like her ex husband, but only slightly, and his eyes looked just like her sons’, candy apple green.

“Your eyes look like mine.” Parker piped up from his mom’s side, echoing her thoughts.

Pike smiled down at him and Parker smiled back.

“That’s right little guy I do, I used to have brown hair like yours too but I shaved it all off.” Pike said as he raised his bandanna up and showed his little guest his bald head before settling the white cloth back in place.

“Why did you do that for?” Parker asked and for a single second Pike’s smile faltered but he hinged it back on quickly.

“It was hot and made me itch so I cut it all off.” Pike said as he ruffled Parker’s hair playfully.

“You’re funny, I like you…do you like baseball, do you play catch, would play with me sometime?” Parker asked at light speed and Pike laughed but Margaret looked reprovingly at her son.

“Parker honey, the man just moved in, I’m sure he’s tired. Why do you save questions for later?” She said, looking sideways at Pike in embarrassment.

“No, don’t worry about it Margaret, I don’t mind at all,” Pike said as he smiled up to her before turning back to Parker, “To answer you little dude, yes I like baseball and yes I play catch and yes I’d like to play catch with you sometime; but ONLY if it's OK with your mommy.” Pike answered and without warning Parker launched himself at the older man and wrapped his arms around his neck.

“Thank you so much Pike.” He squealed happily as he let go, looking suddenly embarrassed.

“You’re welcome Parker.” He said as he stood up.

“It was nice meeting you Pike, we just wanted to come over and welcome you to the neighborhood, if you can call it that.” Margaret said as she motioned to the street around them. It wasn’t really a neighborhood, just a short street with four small apartments on either side of it. The street itself connected to the highway on one side and a small alley on the other.

“It’s good to meet you too Margaret, and you Parker and thanks for the welcome, it seems like a really stand up place to live.” Pike said with a smile.

“It is, well we’ll let you get back to your work, come on Parker lets go.” Margaret said with a smile as she took hold of Parker’s shoulder and maneuvered him off the little porch.

“Bye Pike, maybe we can play catch tomorrow if you’re done unpacking.” Parker said as he was led away by his mother.

Parker played happily in his room for the next few hours until it was time for his mom to leave.

“Parker, Paula is here, come said good-bye.” His mom called and Parker ambled out of his room to the living room.

The first person Parker saw was Paula standing in the living room, her shiny black hair was pulled back into a pony tail and she wore a pink sweater over a black t-shirt with Capri jeans.

The second person he saw was his mom, standing by the couch with a fixed smile on her face.

“Bye Mommy, I’ll see you tonight.” Parker said as he hugged his mom.

“You’d better not be awake when I get home little boy, even if tomorrow is Sunday.” She said as she kissed her son's head.

“Ok…I’ll see you in the morning then.” Parker said as he stuck out his tongue playfully.

“That’s right, Love you baby boy.” Margaret said as she pulled away and headed out the front door.

“Love you too Mommy.” Parker said before she shut the door.

As soon as the door was closed Parker turned and headed into the kitchen, if he was lucky he could get a bunch of grapes out of the refrigerator before Paula knew what he was doing.

Just as he was pushing the door closed, his grapes tucked under his arm, Paula came up behind him and snatched them out of his grasp.

“Thanks short shit, I missed lunch.” Paula said as she popped several grapes into her mouth as she walked back into the living room and flipped the TV on.

“Those are mine.” Parker piped up and Paula just laughed.

“Shut up and go to your room brat, I even hear you come out and you won’t have a thing the rest of the night.” Paula said as she turned on one of the movies Mommy said he wasn’t aloud to watch, the kind with explosions and people saying bad words.

Parker knew it would be a bad idea to argue anymore with Paula…he knew she would do it, it wouldn’t be the first time she had kept him from eating for the whole night.

Struggling to keep from crying he walked back to his bedroom and closed the door. He picked up his stuffed Superman doll and sat down on his bed.

“I’m not gonna cry, I’m not gonna cry, I’m not gonna cry.” Parker said quietly over and over as he rocked back and forth on his bed, his face buried against the chest of his Superman doll.

He wasn’t a baby anymore, he couldn’t cry every time he got upset. With daddy gone he had to be strong and be the man of the house.

Still refusing to acknowledge the tears on his face he lay down on his bed and closed his eyes.

When Parker woke up it was starting to dark out, he looked over at his little alarm clock and saw that it was almost six o’clock. If Paula was going to feed him she’d be coming to get him soon.

He stood up and turned on his light and slipped his Superman doll into the bottom drawer of his dresser, Paula always made fun of him when she saw it.

Once his Superman was hidden he walked over to the corner and started working on his Lego city. He had been working on it for two years till a large square of his room was taken up by tall multi-colored skyscrapers and short little houses and apartments.

Parker really liked to build things and draw pictures of buildings, his mom told him he needed to become an Architect when he got older, whatever that was.

He tried to ignore the grumbling in his stomach as he sat down and worked on a skyscraper, it was going to be the tallest one of the whole of the little city he had set up. As Parker rummaged through his Lego bin for a long four studded piece he could hear Paula walking around in the living room and he could hear music playing through the TV.

Parker kept working on his city, leaving the sky scraper to be done later, he needed more square pieces first, and instead turned to working more on the little park. He glanced at the clock every few minutes and as it ticked further and further past dinner time. Once seven o’clock rolled around Parker was just resigning himself to not getting anything to eat when he heard someone knocking on the front door.

Wondering who it could be so late he climbed up on his dresser and looked out of the window, he angled around for a second and smiled when he saw Pike standing on the porch.

He knew he’d get in trouble if he opened the window, he wasn’t allowed to do that unless he had mommy’s permission or unless it was part of their emergency plan. So he waited to see if Paula would open the door.

He watched as Pike knocked again and saw the door open. He couldn’t hear what Pike and Paula were saying but after a few minutes Pike stepped inside and he heard Paula calling his name.

“Parker, you’ve got a visitor.” Parker immediately jumped down off the dresser and went out into the living room.

“Hey Little Dude, is your mommy home?” Pike asked with a smile as soon as Parker stepped into the living room.

“Nope Mommy is at work, she won’t be home till eleven o’clock. This is Paula, she’s my babysitter.” Parker said as he motioned to Paula, trying to smile.

“I wish I had known that, I would have waited till tomorrow to bring this over, it’s not exactly appropriate to come over without her here.” Pike said as he held up a square bucket. As soon as he saw it Parker smiled, it was a Lego bucket.

“Are there Lego’s in there?” Parker asked excitedly as he walked up to Pike.

“Yep, they were meant for a friend of mines’ son but he doesn’t like blocks, I figured I would come over and see if you’d like them, but it wouldn’t be right to give them to you without asking your mom first. Me being a stranger and all.” Pike said worriedly.

Parker came up and hugged Pike around the waist and Pike smiled as he ran a hand over his hair.

“You’re not a stranger though silly,” Parker said as he pulled away, “You’re our neighbor and my friend.” Parker said with a smile.

“I am, you’re right, and you really want these don’t you?” Pike said and Parker smiled shyly.

“Yea I do…I’m building a Lego city in my room, you want to see it?” Parker asked and Pike nodded.

“Yea I’d like that but I’d better come back when your momma is home.” Pike said and Parker nodded sadly.

“Beside, I bet you’re getting ready to have dinner here soon.” Pike said as he looked over to Paula. Paula’s face fell for an instant and Pike smiled sweetly.

“Yes of course, I’m running behind. I’ll think I’ll go ahead and make Parker a sandwich and some soup, would you like to stay, I don’t think Ms. Reed would mind.” Paula said but Pike shook his head.

“No I better be getting home, I have some more unpacking I need to get finished. I’ll just leave these here though and you can tell Ms. Reed about them when she comes home.” Pike said as he set the Lego bucket next to the door.

“Of course, you have a good evening.” Paula said, her smile becoming a little fixed.

“You too, I’ll talk to you soon Parker.” Pike said as he ruffled Parkers hair and Parker smiled.

“Bye Pike.” Parker said with a wave as Pike left.

Once Pike was gone Parker moved to go back to his room, but before he could get there though Paula called out to him.

“You need to go wash those grubby hands of yours while I make you something to eat.” Paula said and Parker had to hide a smile.

Parker made quick work of washing his hands, he didn’t know why Paula was changing her mind; normally if it had gotten this late she wouldn’t bother feeding him.

 

As soon as he was done he went back into the kitchen and sat down at the table and waited; making sure not to look like he was waiting or watching her while she worked. He could hear though, he heard the fridge being opened and the sound of the meat drawer being opened.

 

Then he heard the cabinet being opened and a can being set on it. Somewhere in his concentration Parker zoned out and only came to his senses when a plate with a bologna sandwich on it and a bowl of cold vegetable soup was set on the table in front of him.

“Eat and get back to your room.” Paula said and Parker said a very mute thank you.

Parker quickly ate his food, grimacing at the taste of the stone cold soup, but he wasn’t about to complain.

As soon as he was done he put the plate and bowl in the sink, snatching a glass out of the dish strainer as he went, said a quick thank you to Paula (which was ignored) and went into the bathroom.

Quietly as he could he filled the glass up with water and then tip-toed back to his room. Once he was inside he went over to his closet and set it inside, he had gotten in trouble with Paula before for sneaking food or drinks into his room.

He went to his Lego city and worked on it till it was time for bed. He pressed his ear to the door and tried to listen for Paula. When he didn’t hear anything he opened his door quietly and tip-toed over to the bathroom, catching a glimpse of Paula standing outside the kitchen window.

Parker quickly used the toilet, washed his hands and then scampered back to his bedroom, he glimpsed Paula outside the window again…it looked like she was smoking. Mommy wouldn’t like that.

Quietly Parker closed his door and went over and got his Superman doll from the dresser drawer and went back to his bed. He turned off the light and crawled under his blanket.

As he drifted off to sleep his mind wondered to the Lego bucket in the living room that Pike had given him…he really hoped his mommy would let him keep it.

***

Early the next day while Parker was still asleep Margaret walked across the street with the Lego bucket.

Margaret knocked on the door and when Pike answered she held up the bucket when he opened the door.

“Can I ask what you were thinking? Coming over to my house when I’m not home, talking to my son?” Margaret asked without preamble and Pike stepped out on the porch with Margaret.

“Ok Margaret just calm down for a second. First of all I had no idea you weren’t home. I told your babysitter that I was there to see you and Parker. I didn’t know you were at work until she had already called Parker into the living room, he told me you weren’t there and as soon as I found that out I tried to leave, Parker however sort of sucked me into a conversation.

 

As for the Lego’s, I bought them a month ago for a friend of mines son; for his birthday. He didn’t like them though so he gave them back to me. I lost the receipt when I moved and didn’t want to just throw them away. I thought Parker might like them. Trust me; if I had known you weren’t home I wouldn’t have come over.” Pike answered without heat or anger, which impressed Margaret, maybe it was the fact that he looked slightly like her ex-husband but she had been expecting him to react angrily.

Margaret took a deep breath and calmed down; maybe she was over-reacting a bit.

“You’re right, I did over-react: I’m sorry. I just worry, since my husband left it’s been difficult, I take things too far.” Margaret apologized, cautiously. She didn’t know anything about this man but he didn’t appear to be a threat, after all had he wanted something from her son he could have easily over powered Paula.

“It’s fine; trust me I can understand how the situation must have looked. If I had a kid I’d feel the same way. I hope he likes the blocks.” Pike said with a smile, motioning to the box.

“He will, he loves to build things. He probably told you about the city he is building when you came over last night.” She said shrewdly, though without heat.

“Yes, yes he did. He asked me to come look at it but I told him it wouldn’t be appropriate since you weren’t home.” Pike said with a small smile.

“That’s very…proper… of you. Why don’t you come over after lunch, around one o’clock and you can see it then, it would mean a lot to him. If you're free that is.” Margaret said and Pike nodded.

“I’m free, I’ll see you then.” He said and Margaret nodded and went back to her apartment, Parker would be getting up soon.

***

Parker kept glancing at the clock as he ate, he couldn’t wait until one o’clock when Pike could come over. He had been so happy when his mom told him that she had talked to him that morning and that he was going to come over and see his Lego city.

“Honey you need to eat and stop looking at clock, remember what Grandma told you about the watched pot?” His mom’s voice made him look up.

“’A watched pot never boils.’” Parker intoned, turning back to his tomato soup and grilled cheese.

“That’s right, now finish your lunch and you can help me fold the laundry until Pike gets here.” She said as she folded a towel.

Parker grimaced as he turned back to his lunch, he really hated folding laundry.

As soon as he was done though he ambled into the living too and took one of his shirts out of the basket on the floor.

Despite not liking it Parker was really good at folding things, he liked things to be neat and orderly, not bunched up or jumbled up so he always made sure his folds were nice and neat and straight. His mom called it OCD; he didn’t know what that meant though.

Parker put aside his shirt and reached into the basket again. He didn’t notice his mom smiling at him as he helped her.

Soon one o’clock rolled around and the knock on the door brought Parker’s attention away from the towel he had been folding.

Parker locked eyes with his mom for a moment and she rolled her eyes toward the door. Smiling, Parker shot toward the door and pulled it open.

“Hey little Dude, did you have a good lunch?” Pike asked as Parker pulling him into the apartment.

“Yep, it was a grilled cheese and tomato soup.” Parker said as he smiled up at Pike.

“That sounds really good, I had left over chili for lunch.” Pike said and Parker laughed.

“You want to see my Lego city today Pike? Mom’s home and you said she had to be to see it and she is.” Parker said in a rush and both Pike and his mom laughed.

“Of course I would little dude, lead the way.” Pike said and Parker grabbed hold of his hand pulled him to his bedroom.

Pike gave Margaret a bemused smile as he was drug through the living room by his fingers. Margaret had to smile, it was very nice to see her son excited about something again; he had been a little listless since Allen had left. She was a little disconcerted though that the source of his excitement was an older man that he barely knew.

Silently she resolved to keep eye on her son’s interactions with Pike.

“It’s over here in the corner.” Parker said as he pulled Pike across his small room.

“Yea I can see that little guy, it’s kind of hard to miss. IT’S HUGE.” Pike said and parker beamed.

“I’ve been working on it for two years. Do you like it?” Parker asked, suddenly feeling a bit nervous. He really wanted Pike’s approval.

“It's amazing Parker, really amazing; a lot of kids your age usually don’t have the focus to do this kind of thing.” Pike said and Parker hugged him again.

“You want to help me work on it?” Parker asked and Pike smiled with a nod.

Together the two of them settled on the small floor space and Parker pulled over his big Lego tub and set it between them.

“I’ve got a lot more now thanks to you.” Parker said and Pike smiled.

“Well I hope you use them well.” Pike said and parker handed him a bunch of pieces.

“You start making some trees; the park needs more, and if you want you can make some more bushes.” Parker said, very businesslike, and Pike nodded with a smile.

“Trees and bushes for Parkers Park got it.” Pike said as he looked over the trees and bushes Parker already had so he could copy the design.

Together the two of them worked on Parker’s little City for two hours, periodically being checked on by his mom, until it was time for her to go to work.

“Mom can Pike baby sit for me instead of Paula, PLEASE.” Parker asked when she called him into the living room.

“Not today silly, maybe some other time.” Margaret said and Parker pouted for a moment, until Pike promised to play catch with him the following weekend.

“Really, is that Ok mommy?” Parker asked and Margaret smiled.

“Yes that’s fine honey; so long Pike doesn’t have plans.” Margaret said and Pike smiled.

“Nope I’m free; I’m usually only busy during the morning and afternoons during the week.” Pike said with a nod.

“Ok then, that’s settled.” Margaret said, just before a knock sounded at the door.

Paula came in with her usual smile and pink button up sweater, today though her back pack was replaced by a large duffel bag.

“Hi Ms. Reed, I hope you don’t mind me bringing some extra stuff along. I’ve started taking up yoga. I was hoping that I would be able to use my time here to practice.” Paula said as she came in, her smile slipping slightly when here eyes focused on Pike, the intense look in his eyes made her nervous.

“Oh no Paula not at all, I hope you have enough room” Margaret replied, oblivious to Paula’s sudden discomfort.

“I guess I better be getting out of here. I’ll see you later Parker, Margaret.” Pike said shaking Margaret’s hand and giving Parker a half hug.

Parker and Margaret said their good byes to Pike and once he was gone Margaret turned her attention to her son.

“I will see you in the morning honey; you have a good time with Paula.” She said as she leaned down to kiss her son on the head.

“I will mommy, love you.” Parker said as she pulled away.

“Love you too sweetie.” She said as she left.

As soon as Paula was sure that Margaret was gone Paula rounded on Parker.

“I know, I know. Go to my room and don’t come out.” He said as he turned to go back to his room.

“Damn right brat, bout time you learned who was in charge here.” Paula said as he walked away and Parker rolled his eyes. She could be as mean as she wanted today, it didn’t matter, he got to play with Pike; no one could make him upset after that.

In addition to that though he didn’t have to worry about Paula not feeding him either. Earlier that morning he had made himself a sandwich and hid it in his closet, he also took a small bunch of grapes, an apple, and a glass of water.

Smiling he closed the door to his room, hid his Superman doll in the dresser, and went over to work on his Lego city, he really liked the trees and bushes Pike had made for him.

It was a good day.

****

Over the next few weeks life went on much like it had before. Margaret was still working, Parker was still in school; though he had trouble making friends, most kids thought he was something of an oddball. He spent as much time with Pike as he could; having him around was just as much fun as playing with other kids.

Parker really liked Pike, he would listen to him talk about school and the kids not liking him. He encouraged Parker not to get upset by it and just keep trying, that sometimes it was hard to make friends.

Much to Parker’s dislike Paula was still baby sitting for him. He hadn’t told his mom or Pike, or anyone else; but her treatment of him was starting to get weird. For one thing she had started feeding him, every night. But she wouldn’t let him out of his room to do it; she would bring a plate to his room.

He didn’t know what Yoga was but he never saw her doing anything out of the ordinary, except that she spent more time outside behind the apartment, and when she came in she acted funny, sometimes she was nicer and sometime she seemed jumpy or anxious, she would also take a shower every night after he went to bed. Paula didn’t know he knew any of this though, he was very sneaky. The only reason he knew she showered was because his room was right next to the bathroom and he could hear the water running.

What really worried him was Richard. Richard was a boy that looked at least Paula’s age that had started coming around whenever Paula was there, usually around eight o’clock. He was tall, almost as tall as Pike. He was thin and had long black hair and brown eyes.

 

He looked nice enough but Parker didn’t like that Richard always stared at him and watched him when he came out of his room, he was actually kind of glad that Paula wasn’t letting him out of his room very much.

Parker had thought about telling his mommy about everything, especially when Richard started coming over and staring at him so much, but he knew that his mommy didn’t make a lot of money from her job and Paula was cheap.

One Saturday Parker was outside playing catch with Pike when his mom came outside. He was really hoping that Pike wasn't going to have to leave; he wanted to spend more time with him. The previous night when Richard had come over he had insisted that Parker be allowed to sit in the living room and watch cartoons before bed, Paula and him had just come in from outside and Paula was in a really good mood so she agreed.

It was only an hour of time but Richard hadn’t taken his eyes off him the entire time and once when Richard touched the back of his neck, (he said he was brushing away some dirt), it had made Parker shiver…not the good kind of shiver like when he was getting tickled but the bad kind like when he was afraid…he really didn’t like Richard.

When he got up to go to bed that night Richard had patted his cheek and called him a good boy. Parker had shivered again at that and wasn’t able to fall asleep until he heard his mom come home, he knew that Richard had left before that but he didn’t feel safe till he heard her voice.

Playing with Pike though helped him take his mind off how scared he had been that night, and that Paula would be babysitting him again in a few hours…and that Richard would probably be over too.

Thankfully though Pike didn’t have to leave, she came up to Pike and handed him a sheet of paper.

“I wanted to give you these; it’s a list of emergency contacts. The top number is where I work with my extension. The others are to my folks and stuff. I want you to have them in case anything happens here. Paula has all of these but you know…you can never be too careful.” His mommy said with a smile and Pike beamed at her.

“Wow, ok, alright No problem.” Pike said and Margaret walked over to Pike.

“And I want you to remember that if anything ever happens here that you go over to Pike’s ok? That is if it is ok with you Pike.” She said to Parker.

“Yea, yea of course. I’m home every evening so it’s not a problem…just…wow. It means a lot that you trust me this much.” Pike said as Parker ran up and hugged him.

“Well I admit that I was a little suspicious before but you’ve proven to be a real stand up person and I don’t think you’re a,” She spared a glance at Parker…she knew she needed to have this conversation with Parker soon but wanted to wait till she had more time, “I don’t think you’re a bad person and you’re great with Parker.” Margaret said, putting heavy emphasis on the right words, hoping Pike would understand.

“I completely understand Margaret, I promise you have nothing to worry about, I’m not one of those people.” Pike said and Margaret got it, he understood what was going on.

After they were done talking Margaret went back inside and the boys went back to their game.

“Pike can I ask you something?” Parker asked as he tossed the ball back to Pike.

“Of course you can little dude.” Pike said and Parker smiled, he really liked it when Pike called him that.

“Who are the bad people that you and Mommy are talking about?” Parker asked and Pike smiled.

“You need to ask your mom that one little dude. It wouldn’t be right for me to tell you.” Pike answered and Parker nodded.

The guys kept up their game for a little while longer before Margaret came out again.

“Honey, we need to run to the store before I go to work.” She said and Parker groaned.

“Can I stay here and play with Pike?” He asked but Pike interrupted.

“No, you need to go with your momma little dude, I’ve got some work I need to check on. Maybe we can play if there is time before your Momma goes to work.” Pike said and Parker pouted cutely.

“Alright, I’ll see you later Pike.” Parker said as he walked over to the car with his mom and Pike went home.

Over the next week Parker managed to stay out of the way whenever Paula babysat for him and when Richard would come over. During the times when it was unavoidable for him to be around Richard though, he always found a reason to touch him. Be it patting him on the back or cheek or petted his head like he was some sort of dog.

Parker did everything he could to avoid Richard, including waiting till the last possible minute to go to the bathroom when Richard was there and on the nights when Richard had been all touchy feely with him he would never go to sleep until he heard his mommy coming in.

On Sunday though the week after he and Pike had been playing catch in the yard his mom came into his room, where he was building with Pike again, and told him some bad news…at least bad to him.

“Honey, I just wanted to let you know that I won’t be home tonight like usual. I just spoke to my boss, I’ve been asked to pull a double shift tonight. I won’t be here to get you up or make breakfast but I’ll be here to take you to the bus.” She said and Parker felt like ice had been poured into his stomach.

 

“Who…who will be here tonight?” Parker asked, he voice shaking only slightly. Hearing that, Margaret gathered Parker into her arms, she could understand why he was scared; it would be the first time she hadn’t been home all night.

 

“Oh honey don’t worry about that, you won’t be alone silly. I’ve already talked to Paula; she said she would be fine with staying with you over night.” She said as she patted him on the back, that news only made Parker feel worse though.

Parker had to be brave, he couldn’t let his mom know how scared and upset he was…it wasn’t that she wasn’t going to be home…if she was going to be home till morning that meant Richard wouldn’t have to leave and he couldn’t stay up all night; he had to go to school in the morning.

“Ok mommy…I just wanted to make sure.” He said quietly.

“I wouldn’t let you be alone honey, don’t ever worry about that.” She said as she set him down on his bed.

“I’ve got to get in the shower and get some stuff ready for my double shift; will you be ok playing with Pike?” She asked and Parker nodded, smiling weakly.

Once she was out of the room Parker moved off his bed and walked over and sat down next to Pike, who had stayed sitting by the Lego city when his mom had come in. He didn’t start building again though; his mind was on the up coming night; and what he could do about it.

He could hide more food and water in his room, maybe he could even dig an old milk jug out of the trash before his mom left so he wouldn’t have to go out to the bathroom.

“Parker are you ok?” Pike’s voice was next to him, making him jump.

“I’m ok. I just don’t want mommy to be gone all night.” Parker lied quickly.

“Don’t you worry about a thing little dude I’ll be right across the street. I’ll talk to your mommy and tell her to tell Paula to call me if you need anything or if you get scared ok?” Pike said as he scooped the boy up and set him in his lap.

Parker gave him a watery smile as he wrapped his arms around Pike’s neck, hugging him tightly.

“Thank you Pike…I love you.” He said, he really did too; he loved him like he loved his mommy, and how he had his daddy before he left.

“I…I love you too little dude,” Pike said as he squeezed Parker tightly, “Lets get back to building before I have to get home.” Pike said and Parker scrambled off of Pike’s lap and reached for a stack of white and yellow pieces he had put out, he wanted to build a statue to put in the middle of his little park.

Soon though it was time for Margaret to go to work and Pike had to get home. Paula came in, looking happy and pleasant as usual, her duffel bag ever present.

“I really appreciate you doing this Paula; I don’t think it will become a regular occurrence. You’ve got my work numbers in case anything goes wrong. The neighbor across the street, Pike, has offered to come over if Parker gets worried or scared, his number is on the list on the fridge.” Margaret said, not seeing how fixed Paula’s smile became at the mention of Pike.

“Are you sure that is really a good idea Ms. Reed? I mean I don’t mean to butt in or anything but a fully grown man like him always hanging around with Parker, I mean does he even work? I know I’m only here of an evening but I’ve never seen him leave before.” Paula said sweetly and Margaret paused.

Paula echoed certain worries that were still plaguing her own mind from time to time. Pike had mentioned that he worked during the day but at the same time he always seemed to be home, leaving only for short periods of time, usually to the store she observed.

Pike had never shown any sort of inappropriate behavior toward Parker though, quiet the opposite in fact. He abided by every rule and norm one would expect, he deferred to her whenever Parker asked him an important or difficult question, he seemed to be genuinely interested and concerned in Parker’s well being. The first time she overheard him giving Parker advice she had been a bit upset but what he had told him had been very appropriate for his age and had also encouraged him to speak to her if he had problems. She still had certain qualms about him spending time with Pike but she felt that so long as his behavior was appropriate she would indulge their friendship.

“I understand your worries Paula but try not to worry too much, trust me I know how you feel but Pike is wonderful with Parker.” Margaret said, finding herself feeling a little defensive of Pike.

“Of course Ms. Reed, well I’ll see you in the morning.” Paula said with a smile and Margaret patted her arm before she left. She was happy that Parker was in the bathroom during their conversation about Pike, she knew that Parker had come to see him as a sort of older brother figure.

Parker slipped out of the bathroom and looked around, he didn’t see Paula so quickly he ran into the kitchen and pulled out the milk jug his mother had put there earlier and took it back to his room and stowed it in his closet.

For the rest of the evening Parker stayed in his room working on his Lego city or reading his books. Some of the books he wasn’t really reading but looking at the pictures. They were books with pictures of all sorts of buildings and other structures. His mom had bought them for him; she called them ‘Architectural Photography Books’. He really liked looking at the pictures of different houses and buildings, some of the easier ones he had managed to build into his Lego city.

At six o’clock Paula knocked on his door and told him to come out to the kitchen to eat his dinner. Parker was tempted to tell her that he wasn’t hungry but in truth he really was and hadn’t had time to hide away any food in his closet. Taking a deep breath he stood up and went into the kitchen.

As soon as he walked into the kitchen he could tell that Paula had been outside smoking again, she always smelled funny after she came back in. She was also in another one of her good moods. He wasn’t sure if he liked it when Paula was being nice to him. He thought he probably would if those nights weren’t the same ones that Richard came over.

That was something else he noticed when he came out of his room. That Richard was there, sitting in the living room. Parker knew he was looking at him again, he could feel it, plus every now and then he would glance out of the corner of his eye and see him doing it.

As soon as he was done with the Hamburger Helper Paula had made him he stood up and tried to go back to his room. It was really rare for Paula to actually cook something; usually she would just make a sandwich or give him cold leftovers.

“Don’t be such a stranger Parker, come in the living room and watch some T.V. with us.” Richard called and Parker froze dozens of ideas and excuses running through his head, he was searching for any excuse to get back to his room.

“That’s ok, I’m really tired, I just want to get to bed.” Parker said bravely but Richard just smiled at him and patted the couch next to him.

“Come on, it's still early, I won’t take no for an answer.” Richard said and his smile made Parker shiver. He considered just running to his room and locking the door, but it was easy to unlock from the outside.

Reluctantly Parker walked into the living room and tried to sit down on the floor in front of the couch. Before his butt hit the floor though Richard reached forward and scooped him up, setting him between himself and Paula, who didn’t seem to be paying attention to the two of them.

Parker was shaking and even though he squeezed up next to Richards side, no matter how much he tried to discreetly wriggle away, Richard didn’t seen to notice, he’d just pull Parker back next to his side.

He tried to focus on the cartoons that Richard turned on for him to watch but he couldn’t do it, especially since Richard started rubbing his thumb up and down on the top of his leg and leaning his cheek down on the top of Parker’s head.

The clock seemed to take longer and longer to click toward his bedtime, he really wanted to get away and get to his room but he didn’t know how.

He noticed that Paula seemed to be edging closer to him, her eyes glued over his head to Richard, and a thought occurred to him. Suddenly he stretched, and kicked Paula hard in the knee. Her reaction was just what he had been hoping for.

Paula jumped to her feet, and while yelling at him and calling him a brat she snatched him and drug him off the couch and pulled him to his room, ignoring Richard admonishments that it was just an accident and not to be mean to him.

“You little brat, don’t you dare let me hear or see you out of your room the rest of the night or I’ll beat your ass.” She screeched as she tossed him to his bed and slammed his door.

Any other time Parker would be shaking in fear and on the verge of tears but tonight he was feeling relieved, he was away from Richard. He rubbed the top of his head and his leg, trying to forget how creepy he had felt.

Even though he knew it wouldn’t do any good Parker stood up and locked the door before he picked up the book he had been looking at before Paula came and got him for dinner.

Parker read until it was time for bed and he stowed the book back on his little bookcase, retrieved superman from its hiding place and after checking to make sure the lock on his door was still working he turned the light off and lay down.

He had been determined to stay up as late as he could but that didn’t turn out to be very long and he fell asleep as the clock rolled over to ten o’clock.

When Parker woke up it was still dark out, even though he was half asleep he was able to register two things, that his blanket was off and that someone was stroking his back through his shirt.

“Sweet boy, I was wondering when you would wake up, I didn’t want to start without you.” The voice was low and quiet but Parker instantly recognized it, Richard was in his room.

Quickly he scrambled up, trying to get out of bed, but all he managed to do was roll over on his back before Richard’s stroking turned into pressure, holding him to the bed.

“Now why do you want to scramble away like that? I just wanted to play with you, beside you owe me; I know how mean Paula has been to you in the past. I’m the reason that she’s being nice to you lately I’ve been giving her special medicine to make her nice and happy, making sure you ate every night and letting you watch TV, maybe I should give you some of it too, it’ll make you feel even better, which will make you make me feel better” Richard said, his voice turning mean.

“What…what do you want?” Parker whispered, afraid and shaking.

“Not much, I’m just gonna teach you a game, a game you’ll really like and it’ll make us both feel really good.” Richard said and he let his hand push Parker’s shirt up over his stomach before he started to slide his hand down.

“Please don’t…I don’t want to play.” Parker whimpered, tears on his face as Richard’s little finger touched his stomach.

Just then though Parker’s bedroom door slammed open and someone wearing a ski mask and black clothes rushed in and grabbed Richard, tossing him out of the room.

“I’ve been looking for you son of a bitch, you better have my money.” The figure yelled at Richard as they tumbled out of Parker’s room.

Without thinking about it Parker jumped up and slammed his door closed and snapped the lock on it and ran to his closet. He could hear yelling and screaming coming from the rest of the house as he dashed to his closet and hid in the very back corner.

Parker couldn’t take the yelling and screaming though, it was so loud and it scared him so much that he just wanted to get away from it. Suddenly the noises stopped and he thought about his mommy and how much he wanted her there but he couldn’t call her…but Pike could.

Quickly he scrambled out of the closet and climbed up on his dresser and pushed the window open. Without looking around outside he climbed out like his mommy showed him and legs first he fell the short distance to the ground. He landed on his hands and knees and got up shakily.

Not stopping to look around at the dark street he ran across the road to Pike’s apartment. As soon as he stopped he started pounding on the door and ringing the bell, in his scared little mind he kept thinking about someone springing out of the darkness at him, either Richard or the man in black.

“Pike…” He called loudly as he pounded on the door with his little fist, tears streaming down his face.

Suddenly he heard the sound of running foot steps and saw Pike’s living room light flicked on.

The door opened to reveal Pike looking very sleepy, dressed only in pair of plaid pajama pants and a thin gray t-shirt, his bald head missing its usual bandana. He woke up immediately though when he saw Parker standing outside his door crying.

“God Parker, are you ok?” He exclaimed as he pushed open the screen door and Parker rushed at him, wrapping his arms around his waist.

“Call mommy, please, please call mommy.” Parker cried as Pike pulled him up into his arms, Parker latching his arms around Pike’s neck.

“Parker, little dude calm down, it's ok. What happened, does Paula know you’re here?” Pike asked but Parker shook his head.

“I…I don’t know…I don’t know where Paula is.” Parker said as Pike carried him into the living room and sat him down on the couch

“What do you mean; she left you there on your own?” Pike asked but Parker shook his head.

“I don’t know, I don’t think so I heard her screaming when the man in black pulled Richard out of my room.” Parker answered quietly, he was rocking back and forth carefully.

Pike’s face turned suddenly mean looking and Parker shrunk back, immediately Pike looked upset and leaned forward to stroke his hair, he really liked it when Pike did that, it felt like daddy or mommy doing it, not how Richard had.

“Parker I’m going to go across the street and see what’s going on ok? I’m going to lock the door and I don’t want you to move from this spot ok? I promise I’ll be right back.” Pike said and Parker nodded, he didn’t want Pike to go but he would wait like a good boy.

“Good boy, I’ll be right back.” Pike said as he got up, picked up his keys and went outside, Parker heard he lock click once the door was shut.

Parker only had to wait a few minutes before Pike came back and knelt down in front of him.

“It's ok little dude, everything is ok. One of the neighbors called the Police and I called your mommy from my cell phone. I want you to tell me what happened because the police will want to ask you when they get here.” Pike said as he sat down and Parker climbed into his lap before he started talking.

Parker told him everything, not just what had happened that night with Richard but everything, Paula being mean to him and sometimes not feeding him, about how when she started carrying her duffel bag she started acting nice to him, how he saw her smoking outside the kitchen window and how Richard had started coming over.

When he started talking about how Richard looked at him and how it made him feel. He got really quiet and when he told Pike about what happened in his room that night. Pike gasped.

“That’s all that happened though, he just touched your tummy, and it’s never happened before?” Pike asked gently and Parker nodded.

“Nope, never, I swear.” Parker said, worried that Pike would not believe him.

“Don’t you worry one bit little guy, tell the police what you told me and you’ll never see Richard again.” Pike said and Parker nodded.

“What if they don’t believe me?” Parker asked worriedly.

“Don’t worry little dude, they will.” Pike said and just as he finished a loud knock sounded at the door, making Parker jump and cling to him.

“It’s ok, it’s just the police.” Pike said as he picked up Parker and walked over to the door.

“Are you August Pike?” The officer asked once Pike answered the door. Parker recognized this man; he had spoken at his school, telling his class how they shouldn’t talk to strangers.

“Yes sir I am.” Pike answered as he stepped out onto the porch with the officer.

“Your neighbor said you know what happened across the street.” The officer said and Parker looked up at him. He was as tall as Pike, only he was black with black hair and brown eyes; he smiled at Parker when he looked at him.

“No sir I just went over to look in at things after Parker showed up on my doorstep, he lives there with his mother. The girl in the bathroom, Paula, is his sitter, she’s supposed to be watching him while his mother is at work tonight. I tried to talk to her when I went over there but nothing got through, I think she might be on drugs.” Pike said and the officer wrote down what he said.

“What about the naked gentleman in the hallway, who is he?” The officer asked and stiffened.

“Parker said his name is Richard, he must be something to Paula.” Pike said and the officer looked at Parker, noting how scared he looked. Carefully he reached out and put a hand on his arm.

“You feel up to talking about what happened tonight son?” The officer asked and Parker looked up at Pike, scared.

“It’s ok little dude, everything is ok.” Pike said and Parker looked over at the officer and he nodded.

“Yes sir I can…can we wait for my mommy to come though?” He asked and the officer looked over to Pike.

“I called her, she works at a factory just around the corner, she’s on her way home; she shouldn’t be more than a few more minutes.” Pike said and the officer nodded.

“I’m going to take the statements of a few of your neighbors; I’ll be back in a few moments.” The officer said and pike nodded.

The two of them went back in the house and Pike got Parker a drink of water.

They had barely sat down when the door flew open to reveal Margaret, looking disheveled, her face streaked with tears.

“MOMMY!!!” Parker yelled, leaping off the couch and running to his mom, almost knocking her over when he lunged himself at her.

“Parker honey, I’m so glad you’re ok; what in the world happened? I saw them putting Paula into the back of a police car with some man.” She said, half crying as she hugged him.

“I’ll go get the officer who was here, he wants to know too and I don’t think Parker would want to tell the story twice.” Pike said as he shimmied past them to go outside.

By the time Pike came back with the officer Parker and Margaret moved over to the couch, Margaret still shielding him in her arms.

“Ms. Reed, I’m Officer Monroe, I’d like to talk to your son for a few moments if he’s feeling up to it.” Officer Monroe said and Parker sat up straight on his mothers lap and looked at the officer.

“I am.” Parker said bravely and all of them smiled gently.

Their smiles vanished though as Parker started his tale, indeed Margaret was crying silently after his first few sentences.

“And that is all Richard did to you, nothing else, and it never happened before?” Officer Monroe asked, outside he was stoic and professional but inside his heart was breaking. He had a son Parker’s age and couldn’t even stand the idea of someone touching his boy like that.

“Yes sir, that’s all and it’s never happened before. He just looked at me a lot and sometimes touched my arm or my face…he did tell me he should give me some of the special medicine he gave Paula though. He said it would make me feel better…and that then I’d be able to make him feel better.” Parker said quietly and Margaret held him tightly.

“What about the man in black, did he say or do anything to you?” The officer asked and Parker shook his head.

“No Sir, he grabbed Richard…he called him a bunch of bad words and told him that he had been looking for him and that he better have his money. Then he drug Richard out of the room and I jumped up and locked my door and hid in the closet.

When the yelling and screaming stopped I got up, climbed out of my window and ran over here to Pike’s.” Parker said and the officer nodded.

“You were a very brave boy, coming over here like that. Do you think you can stay here with your friend Pike while I step outside and talk to your mom?” Officer Monroe asked and Parker nodded.

Pike sat down on the couch and Margaret handed Parker over to him before following the Officer outside to the porch.

“Ma’am did you have any idea what was going on with these two?” Officer Monroe asked and Margaret shook her head.

“No sir, I swear. I mean I always thought something might be wrong between Parker and Paula but I didn’t know. Parker never told me, and I had no idea that she was having this man come over…I can’t even think about what could have happened.” She said and began to fall apart, the officer put his hand on her shoulder.

“The important thing is that your boy is ok, and nothing has happened to him. Judging from the drugs we found on the two of them we’ve got enough to hold them for awhile. Do you have a place to stay for a few days while we collect all the evidence from your place?” Officer Monroe asked and Margaret nodded.

“Yes, my friend Maria offered to let us stay at her place for a few days.” Margaret said, happy she had passed Maria on her way out of the factory.

“Very good, you can go in and collect some clothes and such in just a few minutes.” The officer said as he escorted her back up to Pike’s apartment. He believed this woman when she told him that she didn’t know anything about what was happening.

As soon as they got back to Pike’s apartment Parker ran up to the officer.

“My mommy’s not in trouble is she? She didn’t know what Paula was doing, I didn’t tell her because I didn’t want to make things hard. Since Daddy left we don’t have a lot of money and Mommy couldn’t find anyone else, please don’t be mad at her or take her to jail.” Parker begged quickly before anyone could stop him.

Officer Monroe smiled and patted Parker on the head.

“Don’t worry young man I’m not going to take your mom to jail. Nothing bad is going to happen, don’t you worry. You and your momma are gonna go spend a few days with a friend and then you can go home.” Officer Monroe said and Parker nodded.

“Mommy can we stay here with Pike?” Parker asked but Pike spoke up.

“As much as I’d like that little dude I don’t think you can, I converted my spare room into an office so I could work from home. There wouldn’t be any place for you two to sleep.” Pike said and Parker yawned.

“Ok.” He said sleepily and Margaret picked him up.

“I can’t thank you enough Pike for being home tonight. I don’t want to think about what would have happened if you hadn’t been here.” She said and Pike smiled.

“You don’t have to thank me Margaret, I’m just glad that Parker was brave enough to get over here.” Pike said as he ruffled the little boy’s hair, he smiled sleepily in his mom’s arms.

Margaret smiled again as she left. After putting Parker in the car she went and collected a few sets of clothes for the two of them, Parker’s Superman doll and a couple of his books then headed to her friend's house.

***

The week Parker spent at Maria’s wasn’t very fun, her house was old and dark; he missed his room and seeing Pike. A few days into their stay they found out that both Paula and Richard had been arrested and put in jail. The police told his mom that Richard would be there for quite awhile. It turns out that Parker wasn’t the first boy Richard had *played his game* with.

Parker was very happy that he wouldn’t have to see Paula or Richard anymore, but he was still scared of the man in black, that he might come back. The police said they had no leads on him, that he hadn’t left any physical traces except for some clothes fibers.

Officer Monroe told Parker not to worry about that though, that he wasn’t likely to ever come back to bother him or his mom, that he had wanted Richard not them.

One thing that was worrying him though would be who was babysitting for him from now on. His mommy hadn’t been able to find anyone to take over for Paula. Maria had been doing it for her but she was changing her shift so she wouldn’t be able to anymore.

His mom had been talking about moving away, moving in with his grandparents in Michigan. Parker didn’t want to go though, he liked his school and didn’t want to have to take his Lego city apart to move it…and he really didn’t want to leave Pike.

“Mommy could you talk to Pike, maybe he could watch me now.” Parker said hopefully but Margaret looked doubtful.

“I don’t know baby; maybe, I don’t know what kind of hours he keeps. I’ll think about it though.” Margaret said and Parker smiled.

By the time the following week rolled around through Margaret was out of time and Monday before work she went over to Pike’s to talk to him.

“Margaret, it’s good to see you, have you guys got the ok to move back in yet?” Pike said as he opened the door, drying his hand’s on a dish towel.

“Yea we can move back into today. Look I know this is last minute and everything but can you watch Parker for me? I haven’t been able to find anyone to take Paula’s place. It would just be after school during the week and on the weekends.” Margaret said and Pike beamed at her.

“Of course Margaret, I’d love to take over watching him. After school is easy but I can only work on the weekends for a couple of weeks, I do a lot of my work on the weekends in the afternoon and evening.” Pike said and Margaret nodded.

“Thank you so much Pike; I think it’ll be easier to find someone to do weekends for me than during the week. I can pay you the same as I paid Paula.” Margaret said but Pike shook his head.

“No way Margaret, I won’t hear of it. I make plenty of cash, take the extra and put toward the weekend person, sweeten the pot.” Pike said and even though Margaret tried to talk him into accepting pay but in the end Pike won out.

“Ok, now that we got that settled what time can I expect Parker, and where do I pick him up from the bus?” Pike asked and after getting all the information Margaret set off.

Parker was ecstatic to see Pike waiting for him when he got off the bus. He ran at Pike and launched himself at him. He giggled hysterically as Pike held onto him and swung him around.

“You’re my new babysitter now?” he asked excitedly as the two of them walked home.

“Yep, every afternoon after school and for a few weeks on the weekends until your mom can find someone. I do a lot of my work on the weekends so I can’t.” Pike said and Parker nodded excitedly.

Aside from getting to see and play with Pike every afternoon Parker had more stuff to be happy about too. It turned out that Officer Monroe had recently moved and his son transferred into Parker’s school, into his class even.

Parker knew how it felt to be the new kid in class and immediately started trying to make friends with him. Dennis turned out to be a lot like Parker; they both liked the build things. When Parker told him about his Lego city Dennis had begged to be allowed to come over and see it.

For a few weeks Parker enjoyed spending every afternoon with Pike until his mom found someone different to watch him on the weekend. Parker really worried about who this new person was and it took a lot of reassuring on Pike and Margaret’s part to convince him that they weren’t going to be like Paula.

The Saturday a few weeks after Pike started watching him was the day for him to meet his new sitter, and parker was a nervous wreck. He couldn’t sit long enough to do anything, not even building his Lego City.

“Don’t worry so much little dude, you just have to meet them today, you’re not going to be here alone with them.” Pike said as he scooped the boy up into his arms while Margaret was in the shower, she had insisted Pike be there with Parker to meet the new sitter.

Parker relaxed into Pike’s hug and nodded his head, but tensed immediately once the doorbell rang.

“You want to wait on the couch or you want to go to the door with me?” Pike asked and Parker nodded and slipped down Pike's side to the floor, he stood up straight with his chin raised defiantly.

Pike smiled at him as he opened the door to reveal Mrs. Parkinson, a short, squat African American woman whom appeared to be in her mid-fifties.

“I’m Madeline Parkinson; I’m here to meet Ms. Reed and her son. I assume you're Mr. Reed?” Madeline asked and Parker laughed behind Pike.

“No Ma’am I’m August Pike, I’m just the neighbor, but please come in Ms. Reed will be right out.” He said and stepped aside to let Madeline into the apartment.

Madeline stepped passed Pike and looked around the room, one long sweeping look taking in the entire living room and kitchen, before her eyes rested on Parker.

You must be Parker, the man of the house, I’m Madeline Parkinson, but you can call me Maddie.” She said sweetly as she held her hand out to Parker.

Parker stood by the couch, back straight and chin out, looking for the entire world bold as brass, but neither of the adults was fooled. There was a slight quiver in his bottom lip and his eyes were scared. Despite all that though, Parker held his hand up and shook Maddie’s hand.

“Yes Ma’am I am. I’m Parker Reed.” He said his voice only slightly shaky.

“You are a very handsome little boy; I bet the little ladies at your school are just falling all over you.” Maddie said and Parker shook his head, grimacing.

“Girls are weird; the only girls I like are Mommy…and you.” Parker said, smiling gently. Maddie’s warm smile made him feel at ease.

“Oh Mrs. Parkinson I’m glad you’re here; I’m sorry I didn’t greet you, I’m running a little behind today.” Margaret said as she appeared out of her bedroom.

“Don’t worry about it Ms. Reed. I was just talking to Parker and your darling neighbor here, and please call me Madeline or Maddie.” She said and Margaret smiled.

“You can call me Margaret. I won’t need you to start until next weekend but I thought we could get together today and talk.” Margaret said as she motioned to the couch and she and Margaret sat down, leaving Pike and Parker to take a chair, Parker sitting on Pike’s lap.

“Maria said you would only need me to work on the weekend’s can I ask who watches Parker during the week?” Maddie asked and Margaret smiled and motioned to Pike.

“Pike watches him for me during the week after school; it’s because of his generosity that I can pay as much as I can. He refuses to take any payment for it.” Margaret said and Maddie laughed, giving Pike a sideways look.

“Why is it that you can’t watch Parker on the weekend Mr. Pike?” Maddie asked and Pike smiled.

“I work from home, I do much of my work during the week in the mornings but I do a lot of specialty work on the weekends of an afternoon. It’s the only time that I can talk with some of my colleagues.” Pike said and Maddie nodded.

“Well I don’t see any problems just working the weekend; since I retired I need something to fill my time. I’ve worked in child care most of my life so I can provide several references and I am certified in CPR and First Aid.” Maddie said and Margaret smiled.

“That is very nice, I think if you and Pike get along well then we can make this work.” Margaret said and parker nodded.

Margaret was right, for the rest of the week Maddie would come over for a few hours a day and sit with Parker and Margaret. Soon Parker had taken to Maddie almost as much as he had to Pike. He was sad to part with Pike on the weekend but he was very glad that Margaret was different from Paula, and she made really good cookies.


As time went on everything seemed to fall into place for Parker. He and Dennis became fast friends, often spending the night at each others house. As he got older Parker began to appreciate having Pike in his life more and more.

Having a male role model gave him someone to look up to, someone to ask advice from for ‘guy stuff’. Pike was indeed a great asset when Parker began to go through puberty. Margaret was completely unprepared for how to handle all the things that needed to be addressed and had beseeched Pike for advice, and he was happy to help.

Pike took Parker through it all, from the changes his body was going through to the ‘Birds and the Bee’s.’ Both subjects had caused a wonderful level of embarrassment for Parker, but the birds and the bees had worried him.

One day, a few weeks after his thirteenth birthday Parker broached a topic that had been worrying him for awhile.

“Pike can I ask you something?” Parker asked one day after school as he and Pike played catch.

“You know you can little dude.” Pike said and Parker smiled, he was nearly as tall as pike but he still insisted on calling him little dude.

“What if…I mean…is it wrong if a guy doesn’t…you know…like girls?” Parker asked his voice low and his face red.

“Doesn’t like in what way Parker?” Pike asked shrewdly, Parker was sure Pike knew what he meant but this was Pike’s way of teaching him to have confidence, he always made Parker be specific on things that might embarrass him. Pike told him that if you had self confidence and were comfortable in your own skin then no one could ever embarrass you.

“You know what I mean Pike, like, like-like. You know physically?” Parker asked exasperatedly.

“You mean you don’t find girl’s attractive, physically appealing?” Pike asked and Parker nodded.

Before Pike answered he called Parker over to the porch and the two of them sat down.

“Ok little dude. First off, I don’t want you to worry about this topic too much right now. You’re still a kid, just coming into maturity; it’s normal for a boy your age to be pulled in a dozen different directions. This week you may have no interest in girls and then next they could be all you think about.” Pike said and Parker nodded.

“But?” Parker asked and Pike smiled, Parker knew what he was thinking. Pike had also told him to be vigilant, not let himself get distracted.

“But sometimes if a guy has no interest in girls he could be gay, which I’m sure you know means that he has an interest in other guys. Is that how it is for you?” Pike asked and Parker stared at the ground.

“Yea…yea sometimes.” Parker mumbled and Pike reached out and put an arm around his shoulders and pulled him up to his side.

“It’s not a bad thing Parker, I know a lot of folks say it but they’re wrong, just one of those differences that nature built into us. But like I said before I don’t want you to dwell on it too much, let what happens happen. You’re still young and your sexuality is still working itself out.” Pike said and Parker nodded, deftly wiping a tear off his face.

“Do you…if I were gay do you think mom would be ok?” Parker asked and Pike chuckled.

“Your mom loves you little dude, trust me she’ll love you no matter what.” Pike said and Parker hugged him tightly.

“Do you think I should talk to mom about this?” Parker asked and Pike just looked at him.

“I guess that was a stupid question huh?” Parker asked and Pike nodded.

“Very stupid little brother.” Pike said and Parker slugged him in the arm.

“Will you talk to her with me?” Parker asked but Pike shook his head.

“I think this is one of those things you need to do one on one with her Parker. I think it would mean more to her that way.” Pike said and Parker nodded.

“One of those life lessons things you’re always telling me about?” Parker asked and Pike nodded.

“You really do listen to everything I say don’t you?” Pike asked and Parker nodded.

“Every word, big brother; every word.” Parker said and Pike smiled as the two of them went back to their game.

Parker didn’t get the chance to talk to his mom until the following weekend. Saturday morning as they cleaned up after breakfast he gathered his courage.

“Mom, I think I might be gay.” Parker said in a rush and felt the blood rush to his face.

Margaret smiled to herself and went on working.

“Ok honey, what makes you think that?” She asked calmly as she washed a plate.

“I…I don’t like girls…I don’t find them attractive. I know a pretty girl when I see one but it…it doesn’t do anything to me.” He said as he stared at the dish strainer, she didn’t sound mad or upset but he couldn’t bring himself to look at her.

“Ok darling.” She said and she hugged her son from behind, making Parker jump.

“Is that it? Nothing else?” He asked and she nodded.

“Honey you’re thirteen years old, it’s natural to be questioning your preferences at this age. If you think you might be gay that is fine with me but right now I want you to do something for me ok?” She asked and Parker nodded.

“I don’t want you to label yourself, give yourself some time and space to grow; to discover how you really feel. And never forget I’m here if you need me.” She said and Parker smiled a little tearfully.

“I will mom, no worries.” He said and Margaret smiled.

“Very good, now I need you to finish these dishes up while I go around and see what all we need from the store.” Margaret said and Parker smiled.

Later that afternoon as Parker was sitting playing Gin with Maddie someone knocked on the door. Parker was glad for the excuse to get up, the old woman was shrewd when it came to cards, it didn’t matter what they played she always beat him.

“I’ll get it.” Parker said and Maddie nodded.

As Parker opened the door though he had to stare, the man on the other side of the door was someone he hadn’t seen nor heard from in a very long.

“Parker, is that you? My boy you’ve gotten so big, you look just like your dad.” The man said and Parker stiffened.

“Actually, dad I think I look more like mom than I do you. What do you want?” Parker asked bluntly. Once upon a time he would have loved to see his dad but the years of no communication from the man had made him bitter, angry.

“I came to see you, can I come in; is your mother here?” He asked and moved toward the screen door, Parker clicked the doors lock though.

“No she’s not, she’s at work; and no you can’t. I’m not supposed to let strangers into the house.” Parker said and Allen looked bewildered, and angry.

“You know who I am Parker, knock this stupid crap off and let me in.” Allen said as he reached for the latch and tried to open the screen.

“Parker who’s at the door?” Maddie called and Parker heard her footsteps behind him.

“No one important Maddie.” Parker said as she came up behind him.

“No one important? I’m Allen Reed, Parker’s father; I think that makes me pretty damn important.” Allen hollered.

“It would, if you hadn’t walked out when I was EIGHT!” Parker yelled back and Maddie put her hand on Parker’s shoulder.

“Gentlemen there is no need for raised voice’s,” She said as she pulled Parker back from the door and stepped in front of him, “I’m afraid I can’t let you in Mr. Reed; Margaret’s direction’s are quite clear, no one comes in except for Mr. Pike and Parker’s friend Dennis unless she tells me otherwise. Ms. Reed will be here tomorrow if you want to see her; until then I’m afraid that you’ll have to go.” Maddie said and Allen looked incredulous.

“And just who in the hell are you?” He asked and Maddie answered, unruffled.

“I’m Madeline Parkinson, Parker’s weekend sitter. Now unless you have anymore questions for me Parker and I have a game of Gin to finish up.” She said and Allen pulled a piece of paper out of his pocket.

“Give this to Margaret when she comes home.” He said as he dropped it on the door step.

Once he was back in his car and out of sight Parker opened the door and picked up the piece of paper, it had a phone number and an address.

Parker made to tear the paper up but Maddie stopped him.

“Just because you don’t want to see him doesn’t mean your mother won’t want to see what he wants.” She said as she took the paper and stuffed it into her pocket as they went back into the kitchen.

It turned out that Margaret was almost as disinterested in seeing what Allen wanted as Parker was, despite that though she still decided to meet with him. Sunday morning she called him and arranged to meet him at a small diner, she dropped Parker at Dennis’s as she went.

“Margaret, it’s great to see you.” Allen said once she walked in. He tried kiss her on the cheek but Margaret pulled back.

“What do you want Allen, I have a lot to do before work.” She said and Allen’s smile faltered.

“Is it a crime for a man to want to see his wife and son?” Allen asked as they sat down.

“Ex-wife Allen, ex-wife. And I think Parker made it perfectly clear that he didn’t want to see you.” Margaret said and Allen soured.

“Parker is a child Margaret, a little boy who doesn’t know what he wants or what’s best for him.” Allen said and Margaret laughed.

“Parker is an intelligent young man, which you would know if you had been around the last five years. If all you have called me here for is to try and convince me to have Parker talk to you then you are out of luck.

I have sole custody of Parker because you never showed up in court and I have no intention of making him talk to you. I’ll give him your phone number but the choice is his, and I would appreciate it if you wouldn’t stop by when I’m not home, and call before you do otherwise.” She said as she jotted down their number on a napkin and made to leave the restaurant.

Before she made it to the door though Allen caught up to her and caught her by her wrist.

“I don’t care what the court’s or you say Margaret, Parker is MY son. I’m not going anywhere and you can’t keep him from me.” Allen said and Margaret ripped her arm out of his grasp and left the diner.

While Margaret was meeting with Allen though Parker and Dennis were going over some sketches Dennis had done of a sky scraper.

“I don’t like the window tops, I think it would look better if they were more rounded, what do you think?” Dennis asked and Parker had to shake himself and focus, he hadn’t been paying attention to what Dennis had been saying, he had been staring sideways at his friends’ chest. Dennis never seemed to wear a shirt when he was home and the muscled expanse always drew Parkers attention.

He focused on the sketches and nodded his agreement.

“Yea I definitely think you should redo them, round the tops; and I think you might be reaching with those balconies. Maybe if you enclose them?” Parker suggested and Dennis patted him on the back before laying his arm across his shoulders.

“That’s what I love about you Park, you always seem to know when I’m missing something or reaching too far on a design.” Dennis said, squeezing Parker close to his side.

Parker put an arm around Dennis’ shoulder too and smiled.

“Any time D, any time.” Parker said as he squeezed Dennis’s shoulder.

Parker knew he should move his arm but he didn’t want to, it was nice being in such close quarters with Dennis, and Dennis didn’t seem to mind; he wasn’t pulling away either after all.

“Hey Park, can I ask you something?” Dennis asked and the fact that his voice was low and breathless wasn’t lost on Parker.

“Yea…of course.” Parker said quietly.

“Can…can I kiss you?” Dennis asked and Parker nodded.

“Yea, you can.” Parker surprised them both by answering.

Both Dennis and Parker turned their face toward each other and unable to meet each others eyes they focused instead on each others lips and leaned forward till their lips brushed.

The initial contact surprised both boys and each felt the other's face heat up. But more surprising is when they both leaned in for more. At first it was just a war of their lips, mashing and moving against each other until Dennis took a little more initiative and flicked his tongue against Parker’s lips and taking the hint he parted them and let Dennis’s tongue into his mouth shivering when it touched his.

They weren’t sure how long they sat at Dennis’s desk making out but when they did finally pull apart Dennis rested his head on Parker’s shoulder and Parker rubbed his friends neck and the back of his head. That was one of the things he loved about Dennis, the fact that he shaved his head, he wondered from time to time if that was because he was so used to Pike.

“We can’t tell my mom or Pike about this. I told them I thought I might be gay and they’re ok with it but they don’t want me to define myself too early.” Parker said and Dennis raised his head and kissed Parker’s cheek.

“That’s good for me Park, I talked to my dad and he told me the same thing but…I’ve always liked you…felt close to you…and I’m not a fan of girls.” Dennis said and Parker smiled.

“You want to relax back on my bed for awhile? Listen to some music or something?” Dennis asked and Parker blushed.

“Yea, yea I’d like that.” Parker said and Dennis smiled as he walked over to his radio and put in a Temptation’s CD. Dennis had taken after his dad in music and was a big fan of Jazz, R&B and Motown.

Before Dennis turned back around Parker pulled off his shirt, he wasn’t as muscular as Dennis but his chest and abs we nicely defined for his age.

When Dennis turned back to him his jaw dropped and Parker blushed harder, this time it showed up across his neck and shoulders too.

“You didn’t have to…” Dennis said as he knelt on the bed in front of Parker.

“I wanted to.” Parker replied as he lay down on Dennis’s bed, he smiled when Dennis lay down and put his head on his chest.

Parker shivered as Dennis’s breath and fingers moved over his skin. Soon though the gesture became less arousing and more soothing and both boys found themselves drifting to sleep.

Dennis’s dad knocking on the door brought them awake in an instant.

“Parker you mother is here.” He called through the door and Parker groaned a little, he didn’t want to move from under Dennis’s weight.

“He’ll be right out dad.” Dennis called as he sat up and pulled on a shirt.

Parker stood up and did the same and reached for his backpack. Once he was ready to leave Dennis pulled him in for another kiss before they left his room.

“Remember, this is just between us ok?” Parker said and Dennis smiled.

“I promise.” Dennis said as they headed downstairs.

When Parker heard how his mom’s meeting with his dad went he wasn’t very happy, he didn’t want anything to do with the man.

“Honey it’s your choice. I’m not going to try and talk you into speaking with him.” Margaret had said and Parker was obstinate; the way he saw it Pike had been more of a father to him than Allen ever had been.

Monday after school while he and Pike were watching TV Parker turned to him though, wondering what Pike thought.

“Pike, what do you think I should do about my dad being back around?” He asked and Pike shook his head.

“Honestly little dude I don’t have anything to tell you. I think you’re handling the situation pretty well.” Pike said automatically, that made Parker wonder, it sounded rehearsed. Wondering if his mom had put him up to saying that he tried a different tact.

“What would you do if you were me?” This question seemed to stun Pike and for a minute he didn’t answer and Parker worried that he had pushed too far.

“If I were you Parker…I would think about it. You only have one dad. I wouldn’t make any rush decisions.” Pike said quietly and Parker felt confused, he wondered if the topic brought memories of Pike’s childhood. He didn’t know much about Pike’s past but from the little tidbits he had let out over the years he had come to realize that it wasn’t the happiest of times.

Carefully he scooted closer to Pike and rested his head on his shoulder.

“You’ve been more of a father to me than ever has been Pike.” Parker said quietly and Pike put his arm around Parker’s shoulder and ruffled his hair.

“I’m glad I could be here for you Parker.” Pike said quietly and Parker smiled; hoping Pike would always be there for him.

With Pike's advice in his head he decided he would give his dad a chance but it wasn’t long before he realized the man was just as selfish and self centered as he had been when he walked out of Parkers life as a kid.

Allen only allowed Parker to be around when he wasn’t with his buddies or a girl friend, which wasn’t very often and when they did spend time together he would try and push Parker into things that were of interest to him, his hobbies, his music, his lifestyle. It was all about turning Parker into a carbon copy of him.

He was also fond of trashing Margaret; he was keen on pointing out that all their problems when they had been married had been her fault. He was always quick to apologize to Parker after one of these tirades but they became more and more frequent. Finally, after one of those tirades two months after Allen showed up on his doorstep Parker stood up to him.

After a disastrous attempt to push Parker into a game of basketball (which Parker had tried dozens of times and sucked at) Allen had started in. He was going on about how living with his mother for so long had turned him into a brat and a sissy and how she had turned Parker against him.

It was at this that Parker stood up and roared at him to shut the hell up.

“The only person who has turned me against you is YOU, you walked out when I was eight years old and come back five years later and want to turn me into a mini you and bitch about my mother when it doesn’t work.

I’m done, I gave you a shot because I didn’t want to look back and have regrets but I realize now that you’re no different, you’re still the same selfish son of a bitch you were when you walked out on us.” Parker said and Allen looked murderous.

“You are not going to stand there and talk to me like that you little ingrate, I’m your father and you will show me some respect. Without me you wouldn’t even be here.” Allen said as he advanced on Parker, but Parker stood his ground.

“We may share DNA but I am not your son, not anymore. Now get out of my way, I’m leaving.” Usually his mom would pick him up or his dad would take him home but today she was at work and he wasn’t going anywhere with this man.

Allen though only moved forward and pinned Parker to the wall. What Allen didn’t expect was the self defense techniques Pike had taught him. Without missing a beat Parker brought his knee up hard into Allen’s privates and as he leaned forward in pain Parker cracked him along the jaw with his elbow.

The shock of the blows was enough to loosen Allen’s hold on him and in an instant Parker was around him, had his bag and his coat and was out the door.

Being November it was getting cold out so Parker wrapped his jacket tight around him and he headed home. By the time Parker got home (His dad lived in an apartment on the other side of town, almost three miles form where Parker lived) he was frozen. Luckily Pike was there waiting for him.

“Good god Parker, you’re practically turning blue. Why the hell are you walking in this weather, it's damn near dark out…did you walk the whole way?” Pike asked as he pulled a shivering Parker into his arms.

Parker explained what had happened between him and his dad and Pike nodded in understanding.

“I want you to go in and get a nice hot shower and warm up. I’ll get dinner going.” Pike said and Parker nodded. Even after his shower and the hot soup Pike had made he was still cold so he spent a large portion of the night snuggled up under a blanket on the couch with Pike.

Truth be told he’d have rather been cuddled up with Dennis but Pike was just as good. If he closed his eyes he could imagine that he was a little kid sitting all curled up with his dad.

***

Despite being told by both Parker and Margaret to leave them alone Allen didn’t take the hint and over the next three years he made frequent, unwelcome appearances in their life.

One day in September of 2008 Parker and Dennis were out one day after school. They were celebrating Dennis getting his drivers license. Parker would have to wait a week to take his test again, his first driving test he had been too nervous to pass.

They were at the same diner where Margaret and Allen had met and thankfully for them the place was pretty empty. Over the last three years the boys had kept their relationship going, it was still a secret but that was ok for the two of them. Today though they were so ecstatic that they couldn’t keep their hands to themselves, they sat in a small booth at the back of the diner, on the same side of the table.

They had been talking, making plans to go out on an actual date with each other but soon their talking turned to light kissing. They broke apart though when they were interrupted by the young waitress, who also happened to be the owners’ daughter.

“You two might want to take that somewhere else, we ain’t go no problems with it but the dinner rush is getting ready to come in. You boys probably don’t want the exposure.” She said and the boys smiled and thanked her.

They left the little diner and headed to Parker’s apartment.

“You want to come in for a while?” Parker asked with a smile, physically the boys hadn’t progressed too far and Parker was eager to try more than just some heavy petting. Since he was sixteen Pike didn’t watch him full time anymore and often wouldn’t look in on him till about dinner time, which was still a few hours away.

Dennis licked his lower lip as he thought about it and Parker knew he was thinking along the same lines as he was but in the end Dennis shook his head.

“I want to…god I want to but I can’t I promised I’d be home by six.” Dennis said and Parker stuck out his lower lip, pouting.

“Alright, I’ll see you tomorrow.” Parker said and leaned over and kissed Dennis before he got out of the car and went inside.

When Parker opened the door though he found his dad sitting on the couch, looking pissed.

“What the hell are you doing in here, how did you get in?” Parker asked furiously.

“You’re mother keeps the spare key in the same place.” Allen said, throwing the spare back door key at Parker.

“What are you doing here?” Parker asked again, edging back toward the door, he didn’t like the look on Allen’s face.

Allen saw what he was doing though and in an instant he was off the couch and had Parker by the arm in a vice-like grip. He dragged him away from the door and into his bedroom.

“Pack your shit, your coming with me.” He said as he tossed Parker down on his bed.

“You’re nuts, I’m not going anywhere with you.” Parker said, his voice betraying how scared he was.

“Bullshit, I saw you sucking face with that fucking faggot at the diner. Living with your mother has turned you into a damn queer. You’re coming with me so I can get you straightened out.” Allen said menacingly and Parker felt a stab of anger, no one talked about Dennis that way.

“Don’t talk about him like that, I’m not going anywhere with you.” Parker said again and this time Allen back handed him across the face.

“I wasn’t asking you, you little shit, get some clothes and come on.” Allen roared and Parker stood up, his chin raised defiantly. His dad was bigger than him, more muscular but Parker knew he was faster, if he could get outside he could get to Pike’s.

Parker packed some clothes into his back pack and followed Allen into the living room, where Pike stood waiting for them, an aluminum baseball bat in his hands.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing here?” Pike asked, bringing Allen up short.

Behind him Parker moved out of arms length.

“My son is coming with me, get out of the way.” Allen said reaching back to drag Parker to him, but Parker moved further out of reach.

“Parker I want you to go out the back door, across the street and call your mom, tell her what’s going on and ask her if she wants to call the cops.” Pike said and Parker did as he was told, he backed up, keeping his eyes on the two men in front of him.

Once Parker was out of the house Allen advanced on him Pike, keeping an eye on the baseball bat.

“You have no reason to get involved in this, Parker is my son.” Allen said but Pike shook his head.

“You gave up your parental rights to him a long ass time ago Allen. You have no right calling that boy your son.” Pike said and Allen looked furious.

“You don’t know a damn thing about me or my son.” Allen said and Pike scoffed.

“I know everything about you and your son you son of a bitch, I know everything you did to him, every promise you broke, every word you ever said to him. I know how much your lies and your bullshit hurt him, how much it still hurts him.” Pike said as he slowly advanced on Allen.

As Allen’s eyes locked on Pike’s he felt a chill role down his spine, Pike’s eyes were just like Parker’s; exactly like Parkers. Looking at him though he saw more, something that chilled him down to the core, it had to be a trick, his mind playing tricks on him but as Pike advanced on him it was like Parker coming toward him, only older, stronger…and broken.

Allen didn’t realize he was backing away from Pike till his back hit the wall and Pike stopped in front of him.

“What’s the matter Allen, you look like you’ve seen a ghost.” Pike said and though Allen saw Pike’s lips form his name he heard the word ‘Dad’ instead of his name.

“Who the hell are you…?” Allen stuttered and Pike laughed a low, empty, cruel sound.

“Pike.” Parker’s voice broke whatever had come over Allen and Pike backed away.

“What did she say Parker?” he asked, not turning away from the shell shocked man in front of him.

“She said that unless he leaves right now then to call the cops.” Parker said and Pike nodded.

“So what's it gonna be, you going to leave willingly, and not come back? Or do I get you arrested for attempted kidnapping, Allen?” Pike said and once again Allen heard ‘Dad’ instead of his name.

Allen though knew what to do.

“I’m gone.” He said and all but ran past Parker and Pike.

Neither of them moved until he was in his car and gone.

When they were sure he was gone Parker closed the door and the two of them sat down on the couch.

“I guess I should explain.” Parker said but Pike shook his head.

“Nope, I heard your dad, its Dennis right?” Pike asked and Parker nodded. He was finished being surprised by Pike’s inexplicable knowledge. He always seemed to know what was going on with Parker, no matter what it was, but especially when it was something big. He figured he should be weirded out by it but he wasn’t, it was actually pretty nice.

“Yea its Dennis, we’ve been together since shortly after I told you I might be gay. I think its official now.” Parker said and Pike smiled.

“Dennis is a good kid; just make sure that when you start having sex you’re smart about it.” Pike said and Parker stammered.

“H..how did you know we weren’t?” Parker asked and Pike laughed.

“I didn’t, you just told me.” He said and Parker hit him in the arm.

“What did you say to Allen? He looked about ready to pass out.” Parker asked and Pike shrugged but wouldn’t meet his eyes.

“I told him if he didn’t leave and never come back I’d beat him to death and hide his body.” Pike said and Parker nodded. He didn’t believe Pike but whatever it was he got rid of Allen so he didn’t really care.

Parker was used to Pike being mysterious about certain things. Over the years he had learned that there were question’s that Pike either couldn’t or wouldn’t answer, that there were lies that he had told Parker. It's just a bunch of small things, usually about his family, his past or just his life in general, but not enough to sully Parker’s opinion of the man, so without a word he leaned over and put his head on Pike's shoulder and closed his eyes.

He wasn’t sad to see Allen go; Pike was the only father he needed in his life, and the only one he wanted.

***

Parker groaned as he was shaken awake, it was dark in Dennis’s room, being that it was early and he was groggy he didn’t link the annoying buzzing he heard with his cell phone on the table.

Under the covers he let his hands wander over Dennis’s naked body, his right hand finding, and closing around Dennis’s semi hard cock, it was long and thick even when it was half hard.

“Grab your phone not me, you damn pervert.” Dennis said sleepily as he pushed Parker’s hand off him.

“They guy who gets off on the idea of me having sex with my socks on is calling me a pervert.” Parker mumbled as he groped for his phone in the dark. Finding it he flipped it open.

“’ello?” He said groggily.

“Parker…honey it’s me, you need come home.” His mom’s weak voice brought him instantly awake.

“Mom…what’s wrong, are you ok?” Parker asked sitting up in bed, dislodging the covers and putting his toned, muscular torso on display in the wane light.

“No…no honey I’m ok…its Pike…baby he’s dead.” She said as tears and a sob breaking her sentence.

He’s dead…gone…he can’t be gone…I never…I never got to tell him good-bye…tell him how much he meant to me.’ Parker thought over and over for the next few days leading up to Pike’s funeral.

Dennis never left his side through it, and his dad Andy was a rock a for his mom. The two of them had gotten very close in the two years since he and Dennis had come out to them, shortly after Parker’s dad took off.

He and Dennis often joked that they’d be committing incest if their parents were to get together. But today, as he sat in the front row of the small hall that had been rented for Pike’s service, gazing up at the urn that held the remains of his best friend and surrogate father…he felt as though he would never be happy again.

He knew that Pike had been sick the last few weeks, but it only seemed like a long running cold, and he did seem to be getting better…he hoped that he would be over it in time for his eighteenth birthday next week. Margaret and Andy had arranged for him, Dennis and Pike to play paint ball at a local range.

Dennis squeezed his hand and Parker brought it to his lips and kissed his knuckles.

“Thank you so much for being here with me today.” Parker said and Dennis ran his hand through Parker short chestnut brown hair.

“I wouldn’t be anywhere else Parker. I love you.” Dennis said and Parker tightened his grip on Dennis’s hand, it was the first time either of them had said that.

“Don’t say it back, not today Parker, not until you’re really ready.” Dennis said putting his thumb over Parker’s lips and Parker nodded.

The service wasn’t well attended, only Parker, Dennis, Margaret, Andy, Maddie, and two other people, men, that Parker didn’t recognize. The service was none religious, no sermon said, no hymns sung; all per Pike’s request. A minister did preside over it, he said a prayer and asked god to take care of their friend and loved one in heaven.

Once he was done he asked if anyone had any words they would like to say but no one stepped forward. Everyone in attendance knew Pike, knew that he was a good and honorable man, and knew what he had done for every other person in the room.

“Are you Parker Reed?” The minister asked as he stepped up to Parker.

“Yes sir I am.” Parker said and the minister reached over and took the small silver urn in both hands and held it out to Parker.

“I am told that in his will he specified that his remains were to go to you.” The minister said and Parker took the urn reverently.

As the small group got up to leave one of the two men that Parker didn’t recognize stepped up to them.

“I’m very sorry for your loss. I’m Dr. John Carson; I was the coroner that worked on Mr. Pike.” He said to them and Parker nodded.

“Did you know Pike?” he asked but the doctor shook his head.

“No I’m sad to say I didn’t. I came today in case anyone had any questions about how he died.” Dr. Carson said and Parker stiffened.

“Can you tell me how he died sir?” Parker asked and Dr. Carson nodded.

Maddie, Andy, and Dennis excused themselves as Parker and his mother sat down with the Doctor.

“I’ll call you later babe, thanks for being here.” Parker said as he kissed Dennis’ cheek before they left.

“I wish I could tell you for sure how your friend died Mr. Reed. To be honest I’m not sure how he lived as long as he did.” The Doctor said and Parker looked confused.

“What do you mean?” Margaret asked and the Doctor looker perplexed.

“During his autopsy I discovered that Mr. Pike had cancer, very advanced cancer, he had tumors in both his liver and his brain. By all rights he should have been dead at least ten years ago.” The Doctor said and Margaret and Parker gasped, neither of them had known.

“Is that what killed him?” Parker asked but Doctor shook his head.

“No, that’s just it; I couldn’t find what killed him. Other than the cancer he seemed to be in perfect health. All of the blood work I did came back negative. I have no idea why he died, or how he managed to stay alive as long as he did, there was no trace of chemo or radiation treatments.” He said and both Parker and Margaret sat there stunned.

“Excuse me; are you Parker and Margaret Reed?” The other man whom they didn’t recognize asked, stepping up behind Dr. Carson. He was a short man wearing an impeccable suit and wire rimmed glasses. Parker realized with a stab of emotion that he was bald. He wondered if he’d ever be able to a bald guy again without thinking of Pike.

“Yes we are.” Margaret said and he nodded.

“I’m Lloyd Fields, Mr. Pike’s attorney. I was hoping that you could accompany me to my office, it's just down the street from here; it is concerning Mr. Pike’s will.” He said and as the doctor excused himself to go the two of them agreed.

 

Once they were in the lawyers’ small office he wasted no time.

“Mr. Pike-“But before he could go on Parker interrupted.

“It was just Pike sir. He hated to be called Mr.” Parker said and the lawyer smiled.

“Pike had no living relatives and in accordance to his will you two are his sole beneficiaries” he said and Parker and Margaret were stunned.

“He’s left the two of you everything he owned. To you Ms. Reed he has left a small amount of money, ten thousand dollars to be exact, a small amount of jewelry that is contained in a red jewelry box, and a small collection of ceramic angels. According to his will it is his hope that you put the money to good use and that you will enjoy the jewelry and the angels.

To you Mr. Reed, he has left you everything else. With the exception of a few items he wishes you to keep in your possession he says you may do what you wish with the rest.” Mr. Fields said as he produced a video tape.

“What exactly does he want me to keep?” Parker asked.

“There is a bank account containing his life savings that he wishes you to have, the total of the account is twenty seven thousand dollars. The rest he states on this tape, which he desires you to view before your eighteenth birthday.” He said as he passed the tape to Parker.

“What is on it?” Parker asked but the Lawyer shook his head.

“I don’t know, his will is very clear. It is for your eyes only. But I would advise you not wait too long to watch it.” Mr. Fields said and Parker nodded.

Despite the lawyers advice though it took Parker three days to watch the tape, not because he was hesitating but because it was the soonest he could. With working, school, and dealing with the banks on the money Pike had left him and his mom it was the soonest he could manage it.

It was Saturday and he was alone in the living room of his and his mom’s apartment. She was back at work and Dennis was at home. He had wanted to be there when Parker watched the tape, for moral support, but Parker felt that this was something he needed to do on his own.

He pushed the tape into the VCR and pressed play.

Immediately his eye teared up when Pike’ smiling face came on the screen.

“Hey Little Dude, if your watching this then I’m not here. I don’t want you to be sad or to mourn for me because I’m always with you. More than you understand…but you’re about to.” Pike’s recording said and Parker felt confused.

“I apologize in advance if what I am about to tell you upsets you or changes your feelings about me but I need you to understand that every word I’m about to tell you is true, and at the end of the tape I’ll prove it to you.” The recording said and Park felt a twinge of unease run down his spine.

“First off, I am not August Pike; at least I wasn’t born him. I was born on August twentieth in 1992, I was born Parker Allen Reed,” The recording said and Parker gasped, what the hell was going on, “If you haven’t turned off the tape by now than thank you. And I’m about to explain. I’m you…but from an alternate time line.

I know you don’t believe me but I’m begging you to hear me out and let me explain, I promise at the end of all this I’ll prove it to you.” The recording said and Parker debated for a few moments…he hated to hear this…it hurt…but at the same time he knew Pike would never hurt him like this…unless he needed the lesson it provided.

“I’m glad you’re still watching, I’m hoping it’s because you know I’d never say something like this for kicks that I’d mean it.

Up until I was eight I lived my life exactly as you did, word for word, action for action thought for thought. One night though everything changed, and I bet you know what night.” Pike’s recording said and Parker shivered.

“Richard.” He said quietly.

“It was the night Richard came into my room; I didn’t have a man in black to save me,” The recorded Pike said, his face sad but his voice held no heat or anger, “That night was the first of many he slipped into my room and molested me. I won’t tell you what happened because I don’t want you to dwell on what could have happened to you, because it didn’t.

It went on for five years until the day dad showed up on the doorstep, just like he did with you. Unlike you though I went crazy, I was so angry and bitter and hurt that I launched myself at him and beat the hell out of him. Paula and Richard were there and pulled me off of.

I fought Richard, and that’s how it all came out, I broke and told dad and mom what happened. Dad took off again; he didn’t want to deal with a head case son. Richard got put away and mom put me in therapy.

It didn’t matter though, it was too late. I had convinced myself I was worthless, that I deserved it…because that’s what Richard had fed me for so long. I wouldn’t let anyone help me, didn’t believe them when they said it wasn’t my fault. Finally it came to a head and I ran away just after my sixteenth birthday.” Pike had to stop here and wipe his eyes and Parker did the same. He was hurting so much, hurting for Pike.

“I lived on the streets for four years, selling myself for money and drugs. I didn’t think I deserved any better. By the time I was twenty I had hit rock bottom. By then the sex wasn’t enough to get my drugs, so I started robbing places. I wasn’t very good but I managed to get by on what I stole.

One night I broke into this house, thinking it was empty, it turns out it wasn’t though, I broke in and this guy had his daughter on the couch, she couldn’t have been older than ten. You can imagine what he was about to do. She was crying. I don’t know what came over me; I picked up a lamp and smashed it over his head.

When he hit the floor the little girl did the damndest thing, she hugged me…and thanked me. I told her to go upstairs and tell her mom and I left. That night changed me; I went to a homeless shelter and told them I was an addict and that I wanted to get clean.

They put me in touch with some people and a year later I was clean and sober. I was living in a halfway house and working as a cook at a restaurant.

It took me two years but I managed to get a decent job, as a book keeper, and get my own place, a small rat hole apartment but it was mine. It was after that that I found out. I had cancer.” Pike recording said and Parker let loose, he had to pause the tape because he couldn’t hold back the tears. He didn’t know if it was true or not but hearing Pike, his surrogate dad, say these things hurt.

“It was really aggressive, had spread to my brain and my liver, it really perplexed them because I was so young and it had progressed so far. The surmised that it was probably because the drugs messed with my immune system.

I fought it for four more years, but it just slowed it down. Finally after I turned twenty six they told me it was over, that there was nothing else they could do. I had a year, if that, that was my second rock bottom. I was afraid to die; and I didn’t want to realize it when it happened….so I went back to the drugs.” Pike said and Parker moaned.

“No…Pike.” He whispered.

“I went out and got enough to last me for awhile, or kill me should I decide to do it. But when I got back to my apartment someone was waiting there for me.

He was tall and thin with white hair and gold eyes and he had an hourglass tattoo on the back of his hand, with all the sand at the bottom. He was at the same time the scariest and most amazing person I had ever seen. He never told me his name he just said that he was there to offer me a second chance.

He told me he could send me back to change my life, he said that it would be hard and would take a long time but that if I succeeded I would come back to a better life.

To be honest I didn’t know if he was telling the truth or just crazy. I didn’t want things to end how they were going to and I didn’t want to go back to the drugs so I agreed. I figured that if he was nuts he’d either kill me or life would go on.

He said that there would be rules I had to follow, and that there would be things I wasn’t allowed to interfere with, but I could only find these things out if I agreed, so I did.

He held out his right hand and told me to tip the hourglass. I touched the back of his hand and the tattoo moved, so I turned it to where the sand was at the top. Then I passed out and woke up in Pasadena California.” Pike paused here to take a drink of water and Parker was glad, he needed a second to take in all of the information.

“I woke up in this small room with a new identity and instructions on what to do. My body was different, younger and my features were changed, so no, you won’t ever look like me,” Pikes tape said with a smile and Parker allowed himself one too, “The instructions told me to move into the apartment across from you and put myself into your life.

It didn’t say how I was to do this but it gave me rules on what I could and couldn’t do. I was to stop Richard from molesting you, thereby exposing him and Paula so I came up with the man in black. I did some research on Richard and found out that he was in deep to some drug dealers, I figured it was a perfect cover for that night.

I’m really sorry that I had to scare you that night like that but it was the only thing I could think of. I was worried my act the night you came over wouldn’t be believable but you were just a kid after all, and the cops were more focused on the junkie and the pedophile.

After that I could become your babysitter during the week but not on the weekends, I could do it for a few weeks until your mom found someone else but I couldn’t help her find someone. I don’t know why I couldn’t be there on the weekends too; maybe you needed to learn something from Maddie.

I also had to limit my time around your mom, I don’t know why, maybe he thought she would figure it out, I don’t know. I couldn’t interfere in your issue with your dad. When you asked me what I would do though it was a loop hole so I told you. But until you made a decision I couldn’t get involved. I also couldn’t tell you I was gay if you turned out to be gay, again I don’t know why.” The tape of Pike said and Parker nodded his head.

 

The tape went on to explain a few more of the rules and things he couldn’t get involved in, like not being able go give him advice on sex except for telling him about the birds and the bees, and him not being able to stay the night with Parker or live with him in any context.

“He told me that I could only stay till a week before your eighteenth birthday and after that I would die and come back to my present, that it would be like falling asleep and waking up.

I was never to tell you any of this while I was alive but I decided you needed to know, so I made you this tape. He said I wouldn’t remember when I came back so I don’t know if this tape will do anything or not, if you’ll remember. I just felt like I owed you the explanation for all the things that I had to hide from you or not tell you about.

I wrote all this, and more, down in a journal on my laptop. I want you to have it and destroy this tape. Other than the computer you can have whatever you want and donate the rest, and make sure your mom gets the angels and the jewelry.” Pike said and Parker agreed silently.

“I know I said I would tell you something so that you would believe me but I know by now you do. I don’t know what our life will be like Parker and I don’t want you to live a good life for me, I want you to live for you, be happy and successful. I’ve loved you like a son Parker and I hope I never, ever forget you.” With that Pike nodded and the tape fuzzed out.

Parker closed his eyes and cried, cried out everything. He did believe Pike, and it didn’t matter if they were the same person, he would always be Pike, would always be a father in his memories, he never wanted to forget what Pike had to go through.

He did what he was asked though; he took the tape and put it into a plastic grocery bag and smashed it with a hammer until there were just bits of plastic and torn film. When he was done he took it and tossed into a dumpster at the end of the road.

When he turned around he froze, standing in front of him was someone that couldn’t be there.

“Hey little dude.” Pike said with a smile. Pike was exactly as he had been the last time he saw him, tall, thin scruffy and sporting a bandanna, this one was black though.

“Pike…how…you’re dead…you’re body…” Parker said quietly, thinking of the small urn back in the apartment.

“Yes…and no. It turns out I broke the rules when I left you that tape. I thought I was being clever, he told me that I couldn’t tell you while I was alive, I figured that if I was dead it wouldn’t count. Turns out these people are pretty clever too though.” Pike said with a chuckle.

“People…there are more than one?” Parker asked, he was scared, worried and shocked…but also curious.

“Yea, a lot of them actually; they go around giving people second chances, like they did me.” Pike said and Parker remembered.

“You said you broke the rules…so what happens now?” Parker asked, stepping closer to Pike, he was seized with the urge to hug the man.

“Nothing happens to you Parker; you go on with your life. Me on the other hand…well they gave me a choice. I could either die…or I could become one of them.” Pike said and before Parker could ask Pike held up his right hand, showing him the hourglass that was there, both sides empty of sand.

“That’s…wow that’s amazing.” Parker said and Pike nodded.

“When he told me that I would come back to a better life…I think this is what he meant. I can’t imagine a life better than this, giving people a second chance at things…giving them what I got.” Pike said and Parker realized it…Pike was happy, happier than he had ever seen him before.

Without thinking about it Parker closed the distance between them and hugged him. Pike wrapped his arms around him and held tight.

“Don’t mourn for me Parker; don’t be haunted by the past like I was. You get to remember this, remember but don’t dwell on it. Your life is completely separate and different from mine. Live your life to the fullest, love with everything you have.” Pike said as he rubbed Parker’s back.

“Will I ever see you again?” Parker asked against his neck.

Pike pushed Parker up to look at him in the eye, looking suddenly dead serious.

“You’re my first, because of that I get to watch over you, but there are only two reason’s that you’ll ever see me again. One is when you die, I get to be there, to help you move on.” Pike said and Park nodded.

“And the other is if I screw up and need a second chance.” Parker said and Pike nodded.

“And you’d better never need one boy…I swear I’ll kick your ass if you do.” Pike said and Parker knew he meant it.

“I’m sorry that you’ll never get to be with anyone, to be in love.” Parker said and Pike smiled, looking shy.

“That’s not exactly true,” Pike said motioning behind him with his head. Parker looked over his shoulder and saw the man Pike had described in the tape standing there, smiling at the pair, “His name is Devon. It turns out I was a special case for him…he was watching me since I was a kid, he actually broke the rules to give me a second chance.” Pike said with a smile and Parker was happy.

“Come on Pike, we have a lot of work to do.” He called and Parker shivered at his voice. It was just as Pike had described it in the tape.

“Go Parker…you know where to go and what to do now. Go and be happy.” He said before kissing Parker’s forehead. Parker smiled, he knew what Pike was saying.

“I will…goodbye…Dad.” Parker said and Pike smiled. Parker always said Pike was more of a father to him than a friend.

“Goodbye…Son.” Pike said before he turned and walked away.

Parker watched as Devon took Pike’s hand and kissed his head before the two of them vanished from sight.

Parker went to Dennis’s that night and used his key to slip inside the house. Knowing that Andy was at work he went to Dennis' room and slipped inside. Dennis was sprawled out under the blanket asleep so Parker stripped naked and slipped into the with him.

Dennis woke up and wrapped his arms and legs around Parker, his naked body flush against his.

“Love you Parker.” He mumbled sleepily.

“I love you too Dennis.” Parker whispered, it was the first time he’d said the words, but it wouldn’t be the last.

***

Parker was happy, he and Dennis moved to Vermont after college and got married, even started their own architecture firm. Margaret used the money Pike had left her to go back to school to become an accountant and ended up marrying Dennis’s dad.

When Parker and Dennis adopted two twin infant boys, they named one of them Pike August Reed and Andy Dennis Reed (Dennis took Parkers name when they got married).

Late at night, once the boys and Dennis were asleep he would stand out on their patio and look up at the sky, thinking of Pike. Even though he knew they were suppose to be the same person he always thought of Pike as his father, and when he looked up at the stars he thought of Pike out there somewhere, watching over him.

“I miss you Pike.” He said quietly and felt arms wrap around his waist, he recognized the smell of Dennis body wash and smiled.

“I bet he misses you too baby. But he’s always with you, right here.” Dennis said as he tapped the center of Parker’s chest, over his heart.

Parker put his hand over Dennis’s and smiled.

Pike would always be a part of him.

************************************************************************

I hope you all enjoyed the story. I want to thank Rush for her work in editing and Kenny Chesney for the song ‘Don’t Blink’ and my friend Danny for helping me with the story blurb. I’d like to hear what you have to say about it.

 

© 2010 NightOwl

Story Discussion

 

Copyright © 2011 NightOwl88; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2010 - Winter - Haunted Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow. I mean, just WOW. Powerful and sweet doesn't even begin to give this story justice. It plays on the heart and the mind. The "if only I could go back and change that ONE thing about me" that so many people, myself included, have wished and dreamed about. The way you developed each character was simply amazing.

Link to comment

Absolutely awesome. This is my second read and even though I knew what was going on, it was still pretty intense and gut wrenching. I like your others stories as well.

Link to comment
On 01/02/2014 03:38 AM, Timothy M. said:
Absolutely awesome. This is my second read and even though I knew what was going on, it was still pretty intense and gut wrenching. I like your others stories as well.
Hello Timothy M. It's great to hear from you again.

 

I'm glad that you enjoyed the story. This one was the first for me that was low on the romance scale. I think though that it was better for it though.

It makes me happy to hear that you enjoy my stories and i hope to hear from you in the future,

 

best,

Owl

Link to comment

Just Wow!  For a second I was worried it was going to dismantle its self into some awful, "it was all a dream" sequence, but no!  I really enjoyed it!  Really, really.  Thank you for sharing such a cool original tale!   :thankyou:  -Ms. V

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..