Jump to content
    ObicanDecko
  • Author
  • 2,573 Words
  • 1,056 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Lesser Evil - 7. The Priestess

Edwin stared at the black gemstone in his hand, his mind racing. The obvious conclusion was right there, but he refused to believe it. There had to be another explanation. Lothar couldn’t have been involved in Mildburg’s murder. It had to be some kind of a coincidence. He couldn’t have killed the old woman, he would never do that. Edwin knew it.

But then… did he really know him after all? Lothar was a demon, and killing was probably in his blood, ingrained in him from a young age. Perhaps Mildburg was right to give Edwin the stone to protect him. Perhaps she used this piece to defend herself from the attacker, but clearly failed in doing so. No matter what, she was dead, and now he would never find out whatever she had been planning to tell him.

The feelings of utter shock, betrayal and fear battled within Edwin, along with the desire to believe in Lothar, and determination to find whoever killed the poor old woman. Wordlessly staring at the black stone in his hand, he didn’t even notice when Isolde approached him.

“What’s that?” she asked, looking at the object he was holding.

“Nothing… Just a mineral,” Edwin replied. He couldn’t share his real suspicions with her, at least not yet. “I just… I can’t believe she’s dead. Who would do something like this?”

“I’m sorry. I know she was a friend of yours,” the woman tried to comfort him.

Mildburg was not exactly his friend - just a customer and an acquaintance - but her death still hurt the shopkeeper. He had never seen a dead body before, especially a murder victim, so he was glad Isolde came along. He was never squeamish or easily scared, but coming across a murder, especially of someone he knew, was something he could not have been prepared for.

“Do you think this has anything to do with Ida?”

“I’m sure of it,” Edwin quickly replied. “It can’t be a coincidence.”

“Then we agree,” Isolda nodded. “Come on, help me out. We can’t leave her lying on the floor.”

A wave of nausea almost took over Edwin when they picked the woman’s body up to move it to her bed. He realized Isolde was much stronger than she looked. All that blacksmith work must have made her tough. She was probably stronger than a lot of men he’d seen.

“Sigrid,” he suddenly blurted out, remembering the old woman’s sister.

“What?”

“Remember, she said she had a sister coming to see her? Her name’s Sigrid. She was supposed to help her with some kind of ritual.”

“Poor woman will be crushed,” Isolde said sympathetically. “Do you know when she’s supposed to arrive?”

“No, I don’t think she mentioned it.”

“If she doesn’t show up tomorrow, we’ll have to be the ones to bury Mildburg.”

“I agree, she deserves a proper burial,” Edwin nodded.

On their way back to town, after the shock of the woman’s violent death had slightly subsided, the shopkeeper remembered he had not told his friend about Reiff, and decided to inform her about it. She would certainly be interested to know what the old man told him.

“I found him at the docks. He was at the temple that day looking for food. He’s homeless, living off of people’s charity and whatever fish he manages to catch,” he started recounting the events, conveniently leaving out everything about Lothar. “His wife’s name was Helga. She was a priestess at the temple years ago, before she vanished one day, just like Ida did.”

“Helga,” Isolde gasped, looking stunned. “Of course! I knew her when Ida and I were just little girls. She was so kind and generous, and always had time for everyone. Until one day, when she just stopped coming to the temple. We never saw her again, and were never allowed to ask questions about her.”

“Can you remember anything about what happened before she disappeared? Did she say or do anything unusual?” Edwin asked, knowing it was a long shot.

“No, I don’t think so. Like I said, I was so young. All I know is that she was very sweet, and a great believer. There could not have been a better high priestess. She was…”

“...just like Ida,” Edwin finished her thought.

“And she’s still missing, after all these years,” Isolde said, as if she’d just realized the horrifying implications.

“That’s not going to happen with Ida, alright? We won’t let it happen! We’ll find her, I promise,” the young man said, trying to encourage her. It seemed to work, as she went on with renewed strength, glancing at him with fire in her eyes.

“Oh, I know. I’ll turn every bloody rock in this land if I have to, but I will not rest until I’ve found my sister!”

~~

Just like most days, Isolde had planned to go straight home and bury herself in her work. Striking iron with her forging hammer was always a good way to let out all of her anger and frustrations, but not today. After learning about what really happened with Helga, she knew she could not waste a single moment. Two women had disappeared from the Temple of Dawn - a former high priestess and a future one - and although the incidents were years apart, they could not have been coincidences. Furious and unwavering, Isolde marched onward, determined to question the person whom she thought was the most obvious suspect - the current high priestess at the temple.

Slamming the door open, the blacksmith woman barged in, startling a young priest who was lighting the candles on the wall candelabras. She wished Henry was here - as her neighbor, he was the only priest she knew, and the only one she had a rapport with. No doubt he would be on her side, but she couldn’t wait for him to show up.

“Good day, how can I help you?” the priest asked, staring at Isolde in confusion.

“I need to speak with Giselle,” the young woman replied, not bothering with pleasantries. Just being at the temple made her feel uneasy. Even when she was a little girl, she didn’t exactly enjoy visiting, unless it was with Ida. Even then, she would rather spend time climbing trees or running around with stray dogs.

“I’ll go and look for her. Please wait here,” the man nodded before leaving, disappearing behind a door that led to the back part of the temple. It wasn’t long before the door opened again, causing Isolde to look up. She frowned when she saw the high priestess herself come out.

As always, Giselle moved so strangely, as if gliding across the floor. Her white priestess robes fluttered around her legs, while her hands were clasped in front of her. It looked so unnatural, Isolde thought. It’s as if she’s not made of flesh and blood. How did a woman like that even become a priestess?

“You again,” Giselle observed coldly. “Have the angels granted us a miracle and turned you into a believer?”

“Fat chance of that,” Isolde replied, clenching her jaw at the older woman’s sarcasm. “I didn’t come because I want to be here, but because I need to. It’s about Ida.”

“Have you heard anything about her?” the priestess asked, her expression shifting instantly into one of concern. “I know you and your father don’t see eye to eye, but he is deeply concerned about Ida. Her disappearance has shaken him up terribly.”

If Isolde hadn’t known any better, she would have confused the woman’s words for genuine concern, but that couldn’t be it. Giselle was clearly only very good at pretending.

“Oh, don’t give me that shit! The king’s guards aren’t lifting a finger to find my sister. If Agilmar had any brains left in that empty head of his, he would be searching for my sister himself instead of waiting for that useless bunch of deadbeats!” Isolde barked at the other woman, barely stopping to take a breath. “The old fool is so blind he can’t see the monster he’s looking for is right in front of him.”

“Just what are you implying?” the priestess raised an eyebrow. Isolde couldn’t help but notice how she straightened her back even more in an attempt to appear taller.

“You know damn well what I’m talking about,” the blacksmith woman stepped forward, getting up in her face. “I know it was you. Remember Helga? I know she disappeared all those years ago, just like Ida did. How convenient for you, huh? Now you can keep your position of high priestess.”

A loud smack echoed through the temple as Giselle slapped Isolde across the face, leaving a red mark on her pale face.

“How dare you?!” the woman snapped angrily, her face twisted in outrage. “Get out of here!”

Stunned by the heavy slap, it took Isolde a few moments to recover, but once she did, she was unstoppable. Using all of her strength, she shoved Giselle against a nearby bench and grabbed one of her arms, twisting it behind her back.

“You will pay for that, bitch! Tell me, what have you done with Ida? Where is she?!” the blacksmith woman grunted, squeezing the priestess’ arm even tighter until she screamed in pain.

“Let me go! You’re insane. I haven’t done anything to Ida!” the woman pleaded, unable to free herself from Isolde’s strong grip.

“Lies! And what about Helga? You don’t know anything about her either?”

“Helga was my teacher, I respected and loved her dearly! I would never do anything to harm either of them!”

“I don’t believe a word you’re saying. If you’ve hurt my sister…” Isolde threatened, one hand on her blade. If the only way to find Ida was through violence, then so be it. She would have to do whatever it takes. As she gripped the handle of her blade, the back door suddenly burst open, and a loud voice boomed through the temple.

“What is the meaning of this?!” Agilmar shouted as he approached in quick steps, flanked by two large men dressed in priest robes. “Separate them,” he ordered.

The two men quickly rushed over, heavy swords visible under their long robes. They grabbed Isolde, getting her away from Giselle.

“Put me down!” the young woman yelled, trying to break free from their grasp until they finally released her. “What kind of priests carry weapons?”

“They are here for protection. I hired them after… after Ida’s disappearance,” the high priest said, staring at his estranged daughter. “Isolde... what are you doing here?”

“What am I doing here? I’m trying to find Ida, since you’re not doing anything about it. And the woman who’s behind it is right under your nose,” she retorted, pointing at the high priestess.

“What does Giselle have to do with it?”

“Don’t tell me you don’t find it suspicious that Ida vanished just like Helga did.” As she made her accusation, the young woman could see Agilmar’s face freeze in shock.

“What do you know about Helga?” he asked, his voice suddenly going quiet.

“I know she vanished without a trace, and she was a high priestess, just like Ida was to become one. There is no way this woman is not involved.”

“She is insane!” Giselle replied. “You can’t possibly believe her stories.”

“Giselle, leave us. I will deal with you later,” Agilmar ordered her, before turning to Isolde.

“Why didn’t you tell the guards to arrest her? What other explanation is there?!” the young woman asked, desperate for the old man to see the light. It seemed that she was so close to finding her sister. She was so sure of it, yet she was powerless. There was only one thing left to try. “Father…” Isolde spoke again, uttering the word she hadn’t said in years, “please, help me find Ida.”

She watched as Agilmar’s face twitched, but he kept standing tall, like a statue, making no move either way. When he spoke again, it was the same distant voice she had always known.

“You have turned your back on this family and temple once. We do not need you coming here now, trying to sow discord among our priests. That kind of behavior will not help us in finding Ida. If Giselle is indeed guilty, she will be held responsible for her actions. If not, I will keep searching until I find Ida, and when I do… I’ll make sure you’re informed of it. I can promise you that.”

The heavy front door opened, as several members of the congregation entered the temple. Agilmar glanced at them quickly before turning his focus back on Isolde.

“Now, please leave us. Guards…”

“Don’t bother,” Isolde said tersely, looking at the man with disgust and disbelief. She was a fool to expect anything from him. She should have known better than thinking family would ever be more important to him than his precious faith. “I know my way out.” Turning her back on them, she walked toward the exit until she reached the door, slamming it shut behind her.

~~

It wasn’t long before high priest Agilmar entered his chamber that he heard a knock on the door.

“Come in,” he said, already knowing who it is.

“Excuse me, father, but I must speak with you,” Giselle stood at the door, looking meek and shy, so unlike her usual self, full of grace and poise. “About what just happened…”

“Worry not, priestess. Isolde has always been… full of spirit, and I do apologize if she hurt you in any way.”

“No, she hasn’t. I only wanted to make sure that you know…”

“I know. I believe it when you say you had nothing to do with Ida’s disappearance,” he reassured her, putting her out of her misery. At once, he noticed the relieved look on the woman’s face.

“Thank you. I know this wasn’t easy on any of you.”

“No, it wasn’t, but faith will keep us strong. I must believe that the heavens have a plan for my daughter and that she will return to us safe and sound,” Agilmar replied. “Can you please tell father Henry to come here?”

“Of course, father. I’ll go find him right away,” Giselle nodded and left.

Minutes later, a tall priest in his thirties entered the chamber. “You asked for me, father?”

“Yes, Henry, please sit,” Agilmar offered. “It’s about Isolde.”

“Oh?” the man looked curiously. “Is everything alright with her?”

“After today’s… incident, I can’t deny I’m concerned about her. Ida being missing has affected her greatly and I would like you to keep watching her even more closely than you’ve been doing so far. Anything she does, no matter how insignificant it may seem, I need you to report back to me. I just want to make sure she doesn’t do anything she might regret.”

“I understand, father. I’ll keep an eye on her,” Henry nodded obediently. “Although, she has barely been leaving her workshop lately as far as I’ve seen. I’m not sure of how much use it will be.”

“I know there may be nothing to report, but please do it anyway, for my peace of mind,” Agilmar insisted.

“Of course, father, I’ll do as you ask. And I will pray for both her and Ida,” the younger man replied before excusing himself and leaving the chamber.

Copyright © 2021 ObicanDecko; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 1
Thank you so much for reading! As always, I would love to hear your thoughts! :)
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..