Jump to content
    ObicanDecko
  • Author
  • 3,158 Words
  • 1,717 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Lesser Evil - 4. The Talisman

The wind picked up as Edwin and Isolde walked through the fields on the outskirts of Ossvale, reaching the narrow river south of the town. The tall cypress trees that stood on both sides of the water swayed left and right, their tops almost touching the gray sky above. Edwin shivered, wishing he had worn something warmer than the thin shirt that exposed his body more than it covered it.

“Who is this woman anyway?” Isolde asked as they passed the mills situated by the river. A row of small wooden houses appeared behind the trees and shrubs to the right. The first one was an old, green cottage that must have been Mildburg’s home.

“I told you, she’s an old customer. I don’t know much about her, but she can sense things. There’s something about her… I can’t explain it, but I believe she has some powers.”

“What, she’s a witch?” the blacksmith woman asked mockingly. “Because if you dragged me all the way here to watch a crazy old woman play with chicken bones…”

“Did I force you to come? You invited yourself,” Edwin stared her down. “You can turn back and leave anytime you want.”

“I’ll indulge her this one time,” the woman huffed in annoyance as she wrapped her jacket tightly around her body in an attempt to stay warm. “Maybe she can really help us. It’s not like I have many other options.”

“Still no sign of that hermit?”

“None whatsoever,” Isolde sighed. “I don’t even know where to look. For all I know, I could be bloody well wasting my time on him.”

“You probably are,” the man thought to himself. “If the angels indeed took Ida, I doubt that old man had anything to do with it.”

“And it doesn’t seem Agilmar has had any more luck than us.”

“Really? How do you know that?” Edwin frowned. He doubted Isolde would be talking to her father again, even with the misfortune that had befallen them, but perhaps he was wrong. Perhaps Ida’s disappearance was what it took to bring the estranged father and daughter back together.

“One of the royal guards told me. I’ve been visiting the tavern they go to, trying to see if they need my services,” she replied. “Anyway, one of the men told me they’ve searched all over town, but nothing. He sounded as if they’ve given up already.”

“Well, we’re not giving up,” Edwin was determined. As they reached the little green house with the moss-covered roof and a variety of flowers planted in front of it, the young man knocked on the door. Only a moment later, it opened with a creak.

“Welcome, dear child. Please, come in,” the old woman greeted him warmly, stepping aside to let him pass.

“This is my friend’s sister, Isolde. I hope you don’t mind that she came along,” he pointed at the young woman who followed him inside.

“Of course not. Please, make yourselves at home,” Mildburg replied.

As they sat on a simple wooden bench, Edwin’s eyes darted around the small room, noticing the crystals she had bought from him lining some of the shelves. The floor was covered in colorful rugs, while fire burned in a stone fireplace in the corner, warming up the place.

“Can you really help us find my sister?” Isolde cut straight to the point.

Seemingly unfazed, the old woman took her time pouring hot herbal tea in three small cups, placing them on the table. “I shall certainly try. As I already told your friend, I sensed a great disturbance in the spirit realm on the day your sister vanished. What caused it, and where the girl was taken, I do not know yet, but I hope to find out. Sadly, my power is no longer what it used to be, so I’m afraid I cannot perform the ritual alone. My sister, Sigrid, will come to help me. With our powers combined, I hope we will be able to shed some light on this.”

“And your sister, she also has… powers like you?” Edwin asked.

“Yes, she is a mystic too, and quite a gifted one. When we next see each other, hopefully I shall have good news for you,” she replied. “Now, I have something for you,” she added, getting up and walking over to a small cabinet and opening the top drawer. She returned carrying a small, polished black stone with light cracks all across its surface, a gray string tied around it. As soon as he saw it, the young shopkeeper recognized it.

“Black tourmaline?” he raised an eyebrow. The dark gem was incredibly rare in that part of the kingdom. Even he had trouble finding it for his shop.

“Yes. It has been cleansed and soaked in a ravendrop infusion for three nights,” she nodded, a hint of a smile on her lips. “It is excellent for protecting its wearer against the dark forces. And what I felt in your shop yesterday, that dark, ominous presence, it cannot be a coincidence. Please, keep it on you at all times.”

“Yeah, I don’t think that’s going to be…” the young man shook his head, but Mildburg was insistent.

“Please. You trust me to help you find your friend, so trust me on this as well.”

“Very well,” Edwin accepted the talisman, wondering if it was too late to be wearing it. He had already been tricked into making a pact with Lothar, forfeiting his soul in the process. What else did he have to lose at this point?

Still, he hung the stone around his neck and tucked it underneath his shirt. There was probably no harm in having some extra protection even if he thought he didn’t need it.

“I’m sorry I don’t have one for you,” Mildburg turned to Isolde.

“Oh, that’s alright, I’m good,” the younger woman replied, pulling out the dagger she always carried with her. “I have my protection right here.”

“As you wish,” the mystic turned back to the man. “As soon as Sigrid and I have finished the ritual, I shall visit you to share the results. I have no doubt the truth shall come out after all. And one more thing, my child. The lonely man you are seeking… Don’t give up on him. I feel that he may have some answers you seek.”

~~

It had been two days since he last saw Lothar, and Edwin wasn’t sure whether to be relieved or concerned. Was the demon playing tricks on him again, waiting to see if the shopkeeper would call for him to come? Or was he somewhere out there, trying to find Ida? What if he was in danger? Edwin didn’t know how powerful angels were, but if demons could never best them in battle, they had to be of about equal strength. What if Lothar got ambushed by a group of them and got killed? Edwin felt a chill pass through his body as he thought of the scenario.

Why was he concerned about the demon anyway? He was clearly evil, tricking and manipulating him, even taking the shape of the lovely Florian to play with his mind. Still, Edwin clearly needed him if he was to ever find Ida. Lothar seemed to know more about what was happening than anyone else. Exactly, that was the only reason he was worried about the demon.

Shaking himself out of his thoughts, Edwin returned to reality. Going back from the marketplace with a basket of fruit and vegetables in one hand, he was taking the long way home, passing by the house where Ida used to live. He cast a wistful glance at it as he walked by. There was no light inside, no joyful, warm voice of his friend to greet him.

The Temple of Dawn stood beside it, its size and magnificence mocking Edwin. It was a place of worship, a temple dedicated to the heavenly angels people believed in. The same angels that apparently took his friend, if what Lothar had told him was true. The shop owner scowled as he observed the polished, white temple, standing proud with its mighty spires. He felt as if the building itself had taken Ida.

All of a sudden, Edwin’s eyes wandered off to a hooded figure approaching the back of the temple. The large, broad back and the gray cloak looked all too familiar. It was Reiff. It had to be him.

Without thinking, Edwin dropped his basket with groceries and rushed over as silently as he could. When he was near the stranger, he stopped, not wanting to scare him off again.

“Hey, I just want to talk, alright?” he said.

Spooked like a rabbit hunted by a fox, the hermit almost jumped as he turned around to see who was talking to him. Before Edwin could say another word, Reiff bolted again, running as fast as he could. The younger man wasted no time in running after him, his heart beating wildly in his chest and ears.

“Why are you running away?” he yelled. He couldn’t let the man get away this time.

“Leave me alone!” Reiff grumbled in a rough, coarse voice, as he ducked into the first narrow alley.

Mustering all his strength, Edwin picked up the pace. He was finally gaining on the other man. In a matter of seconds, he was right behind him, reaching out and pulling him by the cloak, causing him to tumble down. The younger man immediately got on top of him, pinning him to the ground. With a grunt, Reiff grabbed him by the arms and pushed him off. Surprised by the man’s strength, Edwin fell backwards hard, landing on the cobblestone path with a thud.

“Don’t make me fight you,” the hermit growled as he threateningly approached him, towering over him. He grabbed Edwin by the collar and picked him up with ease, slamming him against the wall.

Wailing in pain, Edwin fell onto the ground, realizing he was in over his head. The man was much stronger than he appeared.

“I hope this will teach you to leave me alone!” Reiff was ready to throw a punch, when a familiar white-haired figure suddenly appeared out of nowhere, grabbing him by the arm, forcefully pulling him back.

“Not so fast!” Lothar shouted, as Reiff fell down to the ground, landing on his hands and knees. “Why didn’t you call if you needed help?” the demon asked, looking over at Edwin.

“I didn’t know I would be doing this!” the shopkeeper shot back, scrambling to get up.

“How… how did you…” the hermit turned around, still on the ground, staring wildly at Lothar. There was fear and confusion in his eyes. “What are you?” he whispered as he crawled backwards, trying to put as much distance between himself and the other two men as possible. “What do you want from me?”

Looking bored, Lothar blinked again. A moment later, he appeared behind Reiff and grabbed him by the arms. As much as he tried to struggle, the hermit was no match for the demon’s unholy strength.

“Stop squirming!” Lothar ordered. “I believe my friend here wants to ask you something.”

As Edwin took a cautious step forward, Reiff stared him down. “Well? Speak.”

“Look, my friend went missing, and I was told you might be able to help me find her,” Edwin said, noticing how the older man’s eyes went wide for a moment. Was it fear or just concern?

“I don’t know who told you that, but they’re wrong. I can’t help you,” the hermit replied, lowering his head to avoid Edwin’s gaze.

“Are you sure about that?” Lothar asked, twisting the man’s arm until he cried out in pain.

“Lothar, enough! I don’t want to torture the man,” the shopkeeper protested, reaching out to grab the demon by the arm.

Instantly, a loud yell echoed through the alley, but this time, it was Lothar. As if burned by angelic holy fire, the demon stumbled away from Edwin, falling down. Seizing the opportunity, Reiff fled as fast as his legs would carry him, disappearing around the corner.

“Are you alright?” the black man asked in concern, rushing over to Lothar.

“Get away from me!” the demon hissed, appearing dazed from the shock. “Unbutton your shirt,” he ordered. Edwin stared at him in confusion, until realization hit him. It was all his fault. How could he have forgotten about the damn stone? He undid the top three buttons, revealing the black tourmaline hanging around his neck.

“Where did you get that?” Lothar hissed, his eyes filled with rage. “Are you trying to set me up?!”

“No! No, I’m sorry,” Edwin felt the need to apologize. Despite everything, he felt bad about hurting the demon. He never meant to do it. “It was an honest mistake. I… I forgot I had it on. Mildburg… the old woman from the shop gave it to me for protection.”

“Protection from me?” the demon tried to get up, but quickly fell back down on the ground.

“Careful, you’re still too weak,” Edwin cautioned, taking off the pendant and throwing it away. He then reached over and helped the demon stand up, putting an arm around him for support. “There we go. Can you walk?”

“Yes,” Lothar muttered without turning to look at him. “Answer me. Is that supposed to be protection from me?”

“She doesn’t even know about you. She just insisted I took it, and I forgot about it in the heat of the moment. I was just too focused on Reiff.”

“Yeah, and now he’s gone, because of you.”

“Do you want me to drop you?” Edwin was annoyed. He was already feeling guilty without the demon rubbing it in.

“Fine. We’ll find him again anyway, if you really think he can help. He’s clearly staying at the docks.”

“How did you figure that out?”

“The smell of fish and sea on his clothes. He must be spending a lot of time there,” Lothar concluded.

“Hmm, you’re probably right,” Edwin muttered. The man was homeless, so it only made sense he went to the docks to catch fish to survive. It was certainly the easiest food source to come by in Ossvale. “We’ll have to look for him there later. But first, let’s get you back to the shop. Can you, uh... blink us there?”

“No, I’m still far too weak,” Lothar said, still sounding annoyed.

“Fine, we’ll have to walk then. Just… hold onto me,” Edwin replied, bracing himself for a long and awkward walk back home.

~~

The sun was sending its last evening rays through the large shop windows. Standing behind the counter, Edwin was using every last bit of daylight to finish his work on a ring he was repairing. Having already replaced the missing gemstone, all he had to do was polish it and it would be ready for Mr. Huber to take back to his wife.

Once he was done with the ring, Edwin put out one of the candles that was providing him additional light, and picked up the other one, carrying it upstairs. He slowly opened the door to his bedroom, so as not to awaken Lothar. Weak from the accident, the demon had passed out in the shopkeeper’s bed promptly after they had gotten home, and was apparently still sleeping.

Tiptoeing inside, Edwin sat in an armchair in the corner, placing the candle on the small table next to it. He picked up an old book he’d had for years - a collection of folk tales from the kingdom of Ahrabet, his home. It was one of the few things he had taken with him when he left. Every now and then, he liked to take it out and read it, just so he would not forget where he came from. It never failed to make him sad, but it was always worth it.

He had barely gotten through two pages when he heard shuffling and creaking of the bed. Looking up, he saw Lothar stretching. Edwin stared at his sleeping face, wondering how he had gotten into this mess. A week ago, his life was boring, but happy and peaceful. Now, his best friend was missing, he was chasing random people all over town, and there was a demon sleeping in his bed. When would all of this end, and how? He was afraid to even speculate.

Lothar slowly opened his eyes, looking up at Edwin.

“You’re awake,” Edwin spoke quietly. He closed the book he was reading and placed it on the table.

“Excellent perception,” the demon’s voice was dripping with sarcasm, something Edwin did not appreciate. “Have you been there, watching me the whole time?”

“As if I don’t have better things to do,” the shop owner replied, still looking deep in thought.

“If you say so. Come on, then. Ask what’s on your mind,” Lothar said. “I can tell you’re about to burst.” The silence stretched on for too long, but the demon’s eyes never left Edwin’s. Finally, the shopkeeper spoke.

“My soul… What happens to it now?”

“Are you concerned?” the demon sounded amused. “A week ago you didn’t even believe in church preachings, angels and demons. Now you worry about your soul.”

“You obviously exist. So yes, I’m concerned,” Edwin replied, clearly irritated. Maybe he should’ve kept the tourmaline after all. It could have given him the upper hand against Lothar. But then, he needed the demon if he was ever going to find and save Ida.

“Nothing will happen to it,” Lothar chuckled softly. “At least not until you die. Then, it’s all mine.”

“What does that mean? What happens then?”

“Edwin, are you trying to get me to reveal secrets of the afterlife to you? That is something no mortal should ever know before their time has come.”

“Why not?”

“Would you really want to know your future?” Lothar raised an eyebrow and leaned forward, as if testing Edwin. “Say you could know the exact day of your death, would you want to?”

Edwin looked away, unnerved. The more their conversation went on, the more uncomfortable he felt.

“No, I wouldn’t,” he finally responded, his voice quiet. “I just want to know what you plan to do with my soul. Of what use it is to you?”

“That’s for me to decide when the time comes. To be honest, I don’t know yet. But let us hope I won’t have to think about that for a long time,” the demon replied, casually throwing the blanket off of himself and getting up. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ve had enough rest for a lifetime.”

“Where are you going?” Edwin asked without thinking.

Lothar stopped for a moment, looking at the other man. “I have things I need to take care of. I’ll see you later.” In a blink, he was gone.

Copyright © 2021 ObicanDecko; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
Thank you so much for reading! As always, I would love to hear your thoughts! :)
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I really like Lothar, and Edwin is growing on me. This is an interesting place you've created. I like the twist you've added to the angel/demon mythology! So far I have a lot of questions and not many answers. I am looking forward to following Edwin's adventures with Lothar and finding answers along the way. Thanks. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 4/8/2021 at 11:08 PM, JeffreyL said:

I really like Lothar, and Edwin is growing on me.

Heh, I was expecting it to be the other way around. :lol: I'm glad you like our resident demon boy!

On 4/8/2021 at 11:08 PM, JeffreyL said:

This is an interesting place you've created. I like the twist you've added to the angel/demon mythology! So far I have a lot of questions and not many answers.

Thank you so much! I hope you'll get at least some of the answers you want - maybe not soon, but by the end of the story.

On 4/8/2021 at 11:18 PM, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. Edwin and Lothar are interesting characters.

As always, thank you for the support! :)

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I'm a bit confused about the "pact" that Edwin makes with Lothar.  In the prior chapter, Lothar says, "My dear, you made a pact with me the moment you agreed to let me into this world.” That said, one doesn't lose his soul for being tricked into allowing a demon to visit. Rather, a clear bargain must be struck, and Edwin did not agree to give up his soul (at least, during the chapter itself). Is Lothar trying to trick Edwin into thinking he's traded  his soul away?  Does he truly give up his soul, just offstage, after the chapter?  Or are the rules of this universe different in that he truly did lose his soul simply by inviting the demon inside (after being tricked to do so)? At least, Edwin believes that he has forfeited his soul, as per his own statement.

"'I can’t help you,' the hermit replied, lowering his head to avoid Edwin’s gaze."  Of course Reiff has important information:  This is the second time he's run away, and he won't even look at Edwin while speaking.

Hmmm. Black tourmaline can damage the demon.  A good thing to know….

  • Like 3
Link to comment
6 hours ago, travlbug said:

Is Lothar trying to trick Edwin into thinking he's traded  his soul away?  Does he truly give up his soul, just offstage, after the chapter?

You are correct! At first, Lothar is trying to trick Edwin into believing he had already traded his soul. The real pact is made at the end of the previous chapter when they kissed. Edwin can't resist it, and he thinks he's already forfeited his soul, so he's got nothing to lose. He is definitely blinded by his attraction to Lothar, plus his desire to be a hero and save Ida at all costs - which stems from something from his past, as we'll discover later.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Lothar is an interesting character. In truth, Edwin should be cautious about him, I understand why Mildburg would give him the protection. Yet, it's telling, when Edwin hurts Lothar, his first instinct was to remove that gem and be sorry. Lothar grows on me, I am curious about him. The search for Ida continues...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 8/15/2021 at 8:09 PM, lilansui said:

Lothar is an interesting character. In truth, Edwin should be cautious about him, I understand why Mildburg would give him the protection. Yet, it's telling, when Edwin hurts Lothar, his first instinct was to remove that gem and be sorry. Lothar grows on me, I am curious about him. The search for Ida continues...

I'm enjoying reading your thoughts! Lothar was definitely meant to be an ambiguous character, but we already see something developing between him and Edwin. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Completely discarding the tourmaline probably wasn't the best idea. It does indicate there are distinct limitations to Lothar's power. Edwin has jumped to the assumption a deal has already been struck and his soul is forfeit, but there has to be more involved yet to come.

Reiff was clearly lying when he said he didn't know anything.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..