Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 2,629 Words
  • 3,739 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Attunga - 26. Part 26.

Wirrin has a new job.

ATTUNGA Part 26.

Wirrin settled on the grav-sofa and stared at the amazing sight on the wall display.

“Where is that?”

“You don't recognise it? Well, I'm not surprised as it rarely looks like this. It's Gnardune Pool in the throes of a twenty year flood, with the biggest water flow for a long time.”

The amazing sight, of a rushing red torrent swirling past partially submerged trees, suddenly became even more amazing. The placid pool of clear, sparkling water, in Wirrin's memory was replaced by this moving, angry, giant of a river, extending way into the distance.

“Is this near the Willy-Willy tree? The one we climbed I mean.”

Warragul made some adjustments and with the change of viewpoint full recognition locked in. Yes, there was the tree, that bole was distinctive, and at the moment it was above the level of the rushing water. The branch where he'd perched to watch the spoonbill wasn't.

“How's that?”

“We would have been washed away. Where does all that water come from?”

“It's Northern Australia. That's what happens when there's a big rain.”

Wirrin knew all that, but seeing it in the familiar situation made it so real, and for a few minutes he watched in wonder. Warragul was waiting though, and he could watch this at home where Thom would be particularly interested.

“Thanks for seeing me so quickly. I didn't expect to come to your living space.”

“I've been to yours often enough, and since you were close by and asking, why not? Now, is this a real problem or something you just want to talk about?”

That made Wirrin smile.

“It's both. Akama has asked me to be a representative to Freedom and I don't want to say no to him, but I don't think I'm the right person.”

Warragul raised both eyebrows, very expressively.

“Why ever not? I think you'd be a wonderful ambassador, and you know you're capable whatever situation you're in. You can't be worried it would be too hard?”

“No, but I do think I'm too young, and even more, I haven't got enough time or experience to do it properly. I can't divert time from my info system studies and the work with Pirrimar because that's a lot more important and I'm just starting to get the feel of it.”

Warragul nodded in agreement, which surprised Wirrin to a degree, but also made him feel that his decision to talk this over with his Mentor had been the right one.

“Yes, on the face of it I agree with you, but I can't see Akama asking this without having a special reason. Has he told you why?”

“Well yes. It's because the Freedom leaders asked for me.”

“They did? Well, they must be very impressed with you mustn't they ?”

“I know, but they act like I'm the one who did everything, and treat me as if I'm special.”

“That sounds quite reasonable to me. I know you saved them from the Cadre ships. Was there more to it than that?”

“A lot more. It wasn't really about Freedom. That was just part of a bigger scheme to capture the Comet and get its technology. We found out that the two main things they were looking for were the beam defences and our advanced drive engines.”

“The Comet? How could they ever get anywhere near it?”

Warragul was well acquainted with the Comet and its abilities.

“They nearly took it over and we wouldn't have been able to stop them. The Rogue worked out an incredibly clever strategy.”

“That hasn't been on the InterWeb. Tell me what happened.”

Once again Wirrin went through the the story he'd already related to the Witness Council, Akama in greater detail, Calen and Sonic at home, and even with Pirrimar to a group of AIs representing the gestalt. Warragul listened with amazement till the dramatic few moments when the AIs were able to act freely.

“Wirrin, of course they're going to treat you as if you're special.”

“Almost all of the analysis work was Pirrimar's. All I did was implement it. And if it wasn't for Thom I wouldn't have figured out the endless loop trap.”

“That doesn't detract from the special nature of your insight and actions. ...What's happening with the Cadre ships and the people on them? And has the Witness Council made any decisions about responses to K74?”

“The ships are being returned in about a week's time with skeleton crews. Freedom was going to keep them but we talked them out of that because the Cadre would get really mad. Then, when that was decided, Freedom had a plan to send all the people back as well but make them lose a day's memory so the Cadre couldn't find out exactly what happened. Sonic came up with the idea of offering them a place on Warrakan instead and when I saw the leaders I persuaded them to try that.”

“You've already seen these leaders and got them to change their mind on something major like that?”

“They were reluctant at first but they agreed when most of the K74 crew jumped at the offer, and then even more after we explained what it meant.”

“You did the explaining? Personally?”

“We had to. Apart from a few of the other Comet crew we were the only Warrakan people there. It was really interesting seeing the reactions when we were explaining what it would be like. Thom changed from being really angry to feeling sorry for them when he saw how eager they were to get away from K74.”

“What does most of them mean?”

“Ninety-three percent in the end, which is a lot because their standard ship's complement is over 2000 people.”

“Ninety-three percent of four ships? That would be over 7000. That's amazing. It must have been quite a major exercise. No wonder the Freedom leaders were impressed.

… And responses?”

“Responses?”

“To K74.”

“Oh, that's major but most of it will come from elsewhere. We released a complete record of K74's actions to every Habitat in the Solar System and the AIs have their own channels of communication as well, and there's total outrage about it. With this coming after the death of the AI, the K74 reputation has gone totally negative, especially with space Habitats. Our own response is the big changes they've made to the Comet and our Habitat defensive systems so they can function properly without relying on the AIs, if it ever came to that again.”

“So? No recriminations against K74 at all?”

“Nothing direct, apart from telling people what they did. Akama said they've done the damage themselves by making every single Habitat wary of them and completely alienating the AI community. The Freedom people did want to do more but we talked them out of that too.”

“We? You mean you and Thom again?”

“There were holo conferences with Akama and some others from our Witness Council but that was awkward with the time delay, so Akama and Sonic told us what to say when we had face to face meetings.”

Warragul laughed.

“In other words you acted successfully as direct Witness Council representatives. I've heard enough. Wirrin, you can't refuse this job.”

“But...”

“No buts. It's the right thing to do. You accept the position and do it on your own terms. You make it very clear that it can't undermine your other responsibilities. You agree to some busy days over the next few weeks but after that you're a figurehead with other people doing all the work.”

Warragul paused while he watched how Wirrin was taking the advice he'd asked for.

“I suppose I could do it like that. I don't want to disappoint Akama though, so I hope he doesn't mind the idea of my backing off after the first few weeks.”

“He won't, and in fact I'm sure he'll like it it better if you do what you feel is right for yourself.”

***

“I'm taking you to Freedom tomorrow? We've only been home for one day and they get here in three more. So what's the deal? Haven't we done enough? I'm meant to be training up on the changes they've made to the Comet.”

“Don't ask me. Ask Akama. He's the one who wants us there. He's got some funny idea that the Comet with you in charge is a special gesture to the people on Freedom.”

Thom gawped a bit. He'd been expecting to carry on about Wirrin's representation job.

“Me? They don't need me. There are two other Comets already there, as well as three of the Cadre ships.”

“They asked for you. You're a hero.”

“Idiot!”

Wirrin was enjoying turning the tables on Thom, who'd purposefully embarrassed him with an effusive description to Calen and Sonic of what a hero Wirrin had been with the Cadre ships.

“Turaku's designing a special Comet uniform so they don't mistake you for a scruff again. It's got so many medals it'll take you half an hour to pin them all on.”

“Idiot! It's really about your rep job.”

“That's part of it but so is the Comet gesture.”

“Really?”

“Yes, but not the uniform. You're already a big enough hero without that.”

Wirrin expected to be called an idiot yet again, but Thom started planning instead.

“I can still train with the Spectrum-Beam system on the way there, and then I'll be able to get a proper look through the Cadre ships. Turaku was going to guide me on the one here but now we'll have three instead. Hey, as soon as Calen gets in we'll organise him to come with us.”

“He can't. He's too busy working with Sonic.”

“Wirrin, I don't see why not. We've only seen him one night and we're going again in the morning. We'll tell Sonic he's going too and they can go back to whatever they're doing when we get home. Anyway, having Sonic there would be an even bigger gesture if that's what Akama wants.”

Wirrin liked the idea.

“Good thinking. We'll persuade Sonic because if he likes the idea no one will stop him and Calen will automatically go. We can all be together then.”

Thom nodded then laughed.

“I'll tell him I'll show him some new tricks about flying the Comet. That's sure to get him interested.”

Sonic did enjoy flying the Comet and often said he wanted to get better at it. Moving to Warrakan had much reduced the frequent commuting where he often, under Thom's watchful eye, took control.

“He'll probably be so interested you won't get a chance to do your Spectrum-Beam training.”

“If he does come I wouldn't get a chance anyway because we'd have the full crew that goes on any of his trips away from the Habitats.”

That would mean at least fifty or sixty people, very different to the minimal crew of eight, including Wirrin and Thom, who'd been on the emergency trip four days ago.

“Only on the way there. That will be quick, but there'll be nearly three days of slow travel while you're doing the escorting so you'll get plenty of chances then.

***

Thom had his chances and did everything he wanted, but he was so busy that the amount of time available could hardly be described as plenty. Apart from a quick catch up just before sleep time Wirrin didn't see him till the third and last day, as the job of being a representative was way more diverse than his expectation of sitting in conference with a few leaders, and involved a whirlwind of activities and welcomes in all parts of the Habitat.

Having Sonic and Calen with him most of the time was a total bonus and with the astonished reactions to Sonic each new event was an adventure. Wirrin liked them with him too because it meant he wasn't the main focus of attention.

Everywhere they went it started off that way, with embarrassing thanks for helping Freedom, but as soon as Sonic spoke from his transport module the atmosphere would become electric with riveted attention. Calen was used to this but all his months of study with Pirrimar and EdCom meant Wirrin had missed out on the regular visits Sonic liked to make to Nurseries, EdCom groups and community events, and he was reminded afresh of Sonic's impact.

One feature, which of course couldn't be missed was the new reach system on Freedom, and Sonic decided on the very first visit that this was his home base rather than the pool in the Comet's command centre. The whole set up looked shockingly small after the size and diversity of the Warrakan reaches, but Wirrin was still impressed with the development and improvements since the trip when the 400 Earth dolphins had been delivered. Sonic had excitedly raced to meet the pod in the original reach, and within half an hour the other eight reaches emptied as the message of his arrival spread till 461 dolphins were milling in the familiar chaos of a meeting with Sonic. Familiar for Wirrin that is. The dignitaries and even the Freedom rangers watched in amazement while they listened to Wirrin's explanation of what was going on.

The highlight event for the Comet people happened on the last day of escorting when they were treated with a special ceremony based on the Freedom cultural heritage. Wirrin had been looking forward to this. When he'd been informed they were to be part of an official 'Powhiri' ceremony performed in the old way, he'd done a scan to get a basic idea of what was involved and it all sounded very interesting.

How interesting he had no idea till, shocked and with his heart pounding, he was surrounded with several dozen giant men dressed in little more than vivid war paint, and challenged with threatening gestures, horrid grimaces and frightening battle screams. A gasp from Thom beside him sent the shock scurrying, but the excitement remained as the sense of power and vitality being conveyed from the massed and synchronised actions set his scalp tingling and his stomach churning in reflex.

A blast of sound from behind gave Wirrin such a shock he jumped and whirled in response. As did every performer. There was a moment of total silence, smiles at the sight of Calen in the transporter with his hands blocking his ears, then redoubled efforts as two dozen fierce warriors enthusiastically pressed the challenge that Sonic had just replied to, and continued the ritual of the 'haka' till one of the performers placed something at Wirrin's feet. A leaf? The expectant look clued him in and he picked it up. There was a huge yell and the savage faces were transformed with beaming smiles.

The ceremony continued with sonorous speeches and beautiful song, and not being able to understand a word of the strange language didn't matter one bit, with the intent coming through clearly. A number of traditional gifts were given and then the performer who proffered the leaf approached and took hold of Wirrin's shoulders.

Wombats! What now? It was obviously part of the ceremony so it must be all right.

Press noses? Startled and showing the smile he couldn't contain, Wirrin returned the gesture then watched Thom take his turn. The rest of the group closed in to follow suit but then Sonic stole the show again when he asked to be included, and the image of him beak to nose with a fierce looking haka dancer became an icon for the Freedom people watching through their InterWeb.

Several hours later the Comet zipped through the short trip to Warrakan, leaving the Freedom Habitat to make it's final, precisely controlled approach.

***

Copyright © 2014 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well I did ask. So, Representive to Freedom (Ambassador). Exactly how old is he? Things are speeding up. Our trio are hard pressed to keep up. Though I'm not worried (or should I be?). I would guess the genisis of Freedom were the islands of New Zealand. I enjoyed the Maori welcome Haku. Great chapter, thank you.

For readers interested: see following

Pōwhiri - Māori welcome | New Zealand

 

New Zealand islands to be formally named – in English and Maori - Telegraph

  • Like 2
Link to comment

What a beautiful ceremony and such a fitting icon picture of Sonic and a fierce warrior nose to beak. W irrin is so modest to turn down the Freedom offer but it works out in the end for the three boys and Sonic. Great chapter looking forward to the next one. :read::P:read::P

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 08/02/2013 01:20 PM, Daithi said:
What a beautiful ceremony and such a fitting icon picture of Sonic and a fierce warrior nose to beak. W irrin is so modest to turn down the Freedom offer but it works out in the end for the three boys and Sonic. Great chapter looking forward to the next one. :read::P:read::P
Thanks Daithi,

Yes, it's a ceremony full of beauty and power.It's the New Zealand Maori welcoming ceremony. As Sandrewn has surmised in his review I have linked Freedom with 'The Land Of The Long White Cloud'.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/02/2013 01:16 PM, Foster said:
I enjoy every chapter and can't wait for the next one.
Great to hear of your continuing enjoyment.

It makes me wish I could write faster.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/02/2013 12:28 PM, sandrewn said:
Well I did ask. So, Representive to Freedom (Ambassador). Exactly how old is he? Things are speeding up. Our trio are hard pressed to keep up. Though I'm not worried (or should I be?). I would guess the genisis of Freedom were the islands of New Zealand. I enjoyed the Maori welcome Haku. Great chapter, thank you.

For readers interested: see following

Pōwhiri - Māori welcome | New Zealand

 

New Zealand islands to be formally named – in English and Maori - Telegraph

Yes, you were right again. :)

You're right about the NZ link - more to come.

The 'haha' part at the start of the ceremony is mostly known the 'All Blacks' tradition. - Check it on You-Tube.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..