Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 5,372 Words
  • 3,614 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Attunga - 37. Part 37.

Recognition, repairs and the start of a new adventure.

Attunga Part 37.

***

"But we were there just fifteen minutes ago."

Calen was finding it hard to cope with the news that it was going to take seventeen hours to get back to the Habitats.

"Yes, and we were travelling at over seven thousand kilometers every second. We have to lose all that before we even start coming back."

"Why don't they invent some other way to travel then? It always takes too much time. On Attunga and Warrakan you can get anywhere in twenty minutes."

"Some other way? Like what?"

"I don't know. Like the warp holes they have in virtual reality dramas."

Thom loved it and Wirrin couldn't help laughing.

"Warp holes? Idiot! I'll never understand how your brain works. You mean wormholes. Warp is different. It's the engine making everything super-fast."

"So I was right. We should be able to worm our way through the warp holes with super-fast engines the AIs make for us."

"Make at tech-bot to fix his head please Wirrin."

"My head? It's your head that needs fixing. You said the ship was damaged but everything's working perfectly."

"No it's not. We can't get out. The hatchway mechanism got damaged when we scraped against the asteroid. That'll be a couple of hours extra we have to wait while they fix it."

"Two hours to fix a door? As if! I'll tell Turaku to burn a hole through if we have to wait that long."

"A hole? Through the side of my ship? I'll burn a hole in you and Wirrin will help me. This ship is now famous and every inch of her is precious."

A certain amount of inanity was not only warranted but also infectious and Wirrin burst into laughter. Calen and Thom gawked at his overreaction then, reinfected themselves, couldn't help joining in.

"Dingoes! The whole major construction area for Attunga gets wiped out and we're laughing like idiots. It's your fault Wirrin. You set us off this time."

"No I didn't. You did. Burning a hole in Calen? And anyway, laughing's good for you when you get stressed."

"Stress? You call it stress? It felt like panic to me."

"Controlled panic, Thom. Perfectly controlled."

Thom made one of his nondescript sounds.

"We didn't have any choice. What's happening with K74? We haven't heard about that yet."

After Akama's talk and general reports about the situation, Pirramar had been in contact with more details. They'd learnt that the external damage to Attunga was major, with the construction area completely gone and great amounts of the protective shell vaporised in that area. The shell, nearly five hundred metres thick and designed specifically to buffer the main Habitat from the effects of any meteor or asteroid impact, had done its job so well that internal damage, widespread as it was, was basically minor.

They'd spoken with Sonic directly and Thom had been taken aback by the admiration and praise which dominated the conversation, a far cry from their normal badinage. He'd have to get used to that.

The Enhanced dolphins were on their way to their home reaches on Warrakan.

The two companion AIs, along with two of the mobile AIs in their Comets were racing to K74 to be ready to implement whatever consequences were decided, while the remaining mobile AI, along with a human manned Comet, was departing on a rescue and capture mission for the seven helplessly drifting Cadre ships.

Wirrin did a check about K74.

"Nothing's changed. ...Yes it has. Quambi's kept the total communication blockage going but it's been extended to a physical blockage as well, and every vessel that's left the asteroid has been taken to a holding area."

Thom was particularly interested.

"I suppose the Cadre sent ships to get past the electronic blockade. Hey, they won't even know what's happened."

"Thom, they know absolutely nothing. It looks like they're being even more isolated than the last time. They must be, if every ship they send out gets confiscated."

"I wonder if that's what will happen with the Cadre ships? I wouldn't even let them have them after this."

They didn't find out till hours later, but Thom's sentiments turned out to be incomplete accord with those of the combined Council of AIs, humans, and Enhanced dolphins, and all twenty Cadre ships were commandeered and moved near Warrakan where they were eventually refitted and sent off for use as a type of reserve force under the aegis of various planetary over-governments.

"I don't reckon K74 should even be allowed to build new ones for years. Aggressive ships I mean."

They all agreed on that. After several hours of watching reports and looking into aspects which interested them, Wirrin made Thom laugh when he said it was time to catch up on sleep.

"My brain's too hyped up, Wirrin, and we can't anyway. Your tech-bot ate all the grav-bunks."

"Wombat head! Adjust your command seat to go flat. That's as good as a bed."

"No it's not. You know I like a grav-field for sleeping and it hasn't got one."

Thom's active brain didn't last long though, once the lights dimmed and they were supine, and the little ship, under full automatics, carried them safely and faultlessly on the journey of return for the next twelve hours.

***

"Two hours? More like two minutes."

"Had you worried didn't I?"

Thom's laugh ended abruptly and his jaw dropped when the ship's portal slid back to reveal a great phalanx of dignitaries lined up and waiting. Akama and his counterparts from Warrakan and Freedom, Sonic in his transporter, Warragul, Gelar, the doctor and Raji, along with others the trio knew to varying degrees.

They'd expected Warragul, and Pirramar had said Akama was going to meet with them at some stage, but this looked completely official.

The trio stepped through their hatchway to the huge, unfamiliar docking area. They'd had to use this alternative because their regular dock no longer existed. Akama moved to greet them with a big smile, his customary shoulder grip, and a simple,'Welcome home', then they were enveloped in a welter of greetings, hugs and smiles.

Sonic trilled hello in dolphin language and gave his dolphin laugh as Calen dived into the transporter.

"My brothers have returned to the home reach and their pod awaits."

Wirrin wondered about the semi-formal tone, then wondered again as he took in nods of agreement from Warragul, Gelar and the doctor.

Akama spoke.

"Yes, we are your escort. Your human and AI pods are waiting for you too."

"Now?... Some sort of meeting?"

"Of course. What else could you possibly expect. The Habitats are waiting."

Habitats? All of them? Well of course they were. Wirrin looked to see if Thom understood. No, he didn't.

"Right now? Don't we get a chance to change? We've been wearing the same clothes ever since Wirrin's tech-bot ate everything."

"Nothing could be more appropriate."

Thom did register surprise, but nothing like the surprise which followed when Raji dashed from his father's side and launched himself, ending in a ferocious hug with his arms tight around Thom's back and his legs dangling in mid-air. Thom almost fell over backwards but recovered and, laughing, returned the hug.

"Wombats, Little Dolphin. What's this for?"

Raji had been called Little Dolphin for ages, a term he especially loved because it had been started by Sonic.

"You saved us all. We watched you on the InterWeb and everyone says you're brave but I already knew because Sonic told me."

Thom laughed and adjusted Raji so he could see his face.

"That's silly, Raji."

"No it's not."

Somewhat nonplussed by Raji's determination, Thom looked to the doctor as if expecting him to talk sense into his son, and received the nod and smile that was echoed by all the other adults. With a move, deft and familiar from relax time at the Dolphinarium, Thom swung Raji to a comfortable sitting position on his shoulder.

"What's this about the InterWeb?"

"We watched everything you did. It was really exciting, like a VR drama, except it wasn't because Mum and dad were watching it too and they were so quiet we felt the same till you beamed that last ship and escaped. Alisa says Calen's amazing because he didn't go unconscious but Miro says you're more amazing because the way you controlled your ship was like magic and he wants to be..."

Raji stopped abruptly because his dad was making the shoosh up signal which meant he was getting too talkative and excited. Thom saw too but disregarded it.

"What about Wirrin? He made the decoy and the jammers and the tech-bot and you didn't say anything about him?"

"I don't have to. Everyone already knows he's special. Like Akama."

It was Wirrin's turn to be nonplussed. What was Raji talking about, and how was he going to get him to explain. Akama had an interesting reaction too, though it wasn't obvious.

The group started moving and by the time they'd reached the nearest TransCom portal the trio knew they were heading to the now famous Attunga Dolphinarium for an official thank you ceremony. After a journey, so rapid it must have been given priority treatment, they entered the viewing gallery.

It was totally filled, with people in the auditorium, and dolphins on the watery side of the big glass wall, and the hairs on Wirrin's scalp rose when every person rose to their feet and waited in absolute silence.

Akama indicated three seats and gestured to the trio to move. Feeling the incredible weight of attention focused on them, Wirrin grabbed Thom, pushed him to lead off, did the same to Calen, and then followed close.

They sat down and the uncanny silence continued till, intruding on the quiet, came the sound of a single person clapping. It was Akama, and instantly a great ovation soared around the stunned and rather overwhelmed trio. Thom said later that he thought they must have all gone crazy but the sound and sensation was so powerful he felt like he was frozen in his seat. The roar went on, and on, then abruptly finished. Akama was pointing to the glass wall, or rather, the dolphins massed behind it.

Taking their cue from Sonic, who must have arrived during the ovation, every Enhanced dolphin performed the dolphin to human greeting with the astonishing group precision they were capable of, then burst into dolphin song. The joyous sound of their massed voices rang through the auditorium with extraordinary strength and power.

Part of it was the welcome song dolphins gave to pod members who'd been absent for a while.

Part of it sounded like the song of success after a successful hunt, and interwoven through it all, Wirrin heard the dolphin names Puck had given them when Sonic was still tiny.

This song was especially for them. Sonic must have created and organised it with the pod while they were asleep on the ship.

The sound and motion finished and before the hush of appreciation, which almost invariably followed one of these special dolphin performances could change to applause, the images of Pirramar and the AI who represented the Gestalt shimmered into view.

"Welcome home Thom!

Welcome home Calen!

Welcome home Wirrin!

The Gestalt and all our associated AIs extend our gratitude and appreciation for your actions during this crisis. Friends! Thrice named!"

The Gestalt representative turned to Akama who immediately took over.

"Members of our Habitat Triunity. Three young men set out on a journey of relaxation and adventure, little knowing that a straightforward request for help from our Habitat Security would send them into a situation fraught with danger and almost unbearable responsibility for the lives of Warrakan's dolphins, AIs, and humans.

Watch, and marvel at the bonds of care and support which carry our Dolphin Boys through their worst moments.

Watch, and wonder, as gentle spirited Calen becomes the rock of strength for the trio.

Watch, and share my admiration, as Wirrin, with inspiring innovation and application, provides the tools and wherewithal for success.

Watch, in awe, the triumph of spirit displayed by Thom, as, faced with overwhelming odds and battling fears of inadequacy, he nevertheless rose to every critical situation with skill and control which is beyond my understanding.

Watch now and share briefly the hopes, the fears, and the courage they display through their eleven hour ordeal."

The trio sat, numbed by the big deal Akama was making of this welcome home ceremony. To Wirrin's ears there was the sound of conviction in every word. Whoops! Thom was taking it to heart. Wirrin gently gently clasped Thom's forearm and was rewarded with a quick look and a subtle thank you smile.

The area directly in front of the glass wall lit up with a holo of Thom's ship, and for the next short while they watched a carefully compiled outline of their actions, their early thoughts about what might be happening, parts of the discussion about strategy, Wirrin's ideas and work with his InfoSystem, the high-grav practice, and then highlights from the time after match-up. The information from every sensor on the ship must have been collected.

They watched the dramatic seconds of each encounter and saw the distortion of their features under high-grav, watched Calen's fingers struggling to key the pre-sets, and relived the moments of Thom's slow recovery to consciousness. The overwhelming message though, was the counterpoint of Thom's skill and command when it counted, against his feelings of worry and despair.

Wirrin's heart constricted at the sight of the tears welling in Thom's eyes as he said he thought he wasn't good enough, then relaxed with laughter as Calen called him a, 'great lumping idiot'. They found out from Pirramar that against the drama of multi-spectrum beams, conflict, and the spectacular images of impact, this was the most viewed and re-viewed moment on the InterWeb.

"There's no one better!"

Calen's following words sounded, the holo presentation finished, and in the immediate hush Akama stood and gestured for attention.

"Yes, Thom, no one better!

Through an act of providence beyond my comprehension, the only people from our three Habitats with the necessary combination of skills and equipment were somehow located precisely where they were needed.

I say it again.

No one better!"

There was no signal this time but the gathering rose to their feet for a second ovation, and against the roar of applause the Dolphin Song sounded again.

***

"You're going to K74?"

This was surprising news because K74 had been completely blockaded for a week now and there was no activity around it.

"The message came from Akama that he wants me to. The AIs and governments all through the Solar System have demanded a stop to any aggressive ships being built there for the next twenty years and we're going to destroy the big construction sites."

"Twenty? Is that all? It should be a lot more."

"It could be if the Cadre keeps running things but if that changes then it'll be less, and from what Wirrin's been telling us that's almost certain. When the AIs get serious things really start to happen."

Wirrin had learned from Pirramar that AIs through the whole Solar System had decided the threats against them from K74 were now so serious they required a proactive response.

This was amazing to hear because, for the hundred and fifty years since the great conflict when sections of humanity fought with tools of fear and hatred for the power to control all forms of machine intelligence, non-interference and cooperation had been an unvarying tenet for AIs in their relationship with the differing forms of human society. Their proposal had been for Quambi to spread dissent throughout K74 against the Cadre, and at the same time to undermine any anti-AI activities of the Rogue. Interestingly, they hadn't proceeded till they'd gained human approval, though that was instant, with every major government applauding the idea, appalled that the Cadre was prepared to slaughter hundreds of millions of people to further its own ends.

"What's Quambi doing? He still has to keep hidden doesn't he?"

"Yes, for Quambni-K's sake, but that's easy. He's already a master at it and getting better all the time. Pirramar and I checked it out yesterday afternoon and the Cadre must be furious because images and reports telling the truth about what happened keep mysteriously appearing on the K74 InterWeb and they can't stop them. Quambi has set it up so that when they try to trace the origins they detect an external breach of their security."

"Hey, that's clever. Is it having much effect?"

"It will. There were already clashing ideas from the Embassy Ambassadors and Quambi's building on those and spreading their questions all through the Habitat as well."

"Isn't that dangerous for the people who watch?"

"It would be, Thom, but strangely, the monitoring programs have developed all sorts of bugs."

"Quambi?"

"Of course. Data gets wiped or corrupted and the programs stop working or go into diagnostic mode, or something else unexpected."

"Dingoes! Only an AI could make that happen all through K74. Won't the Rogue think it has to be Quambi-K?"

"Quambi-K gets ordered to check everything but from his viewpoint it's either a genuine bug or the external breach its meant to look like. Anyhow, the Rogue's going to have his own trouble soon and he won't have time to focus on Quambi-K."

"What trouble?"

"Everything he's been involved in is going to start malfunctioning. First to go will be the Black areas and once that happens his equipment will start giving him false results."

"Does that mean you'll be able to watch all the Cadre meetings again?"

"It does, and because we'll know all their plans as soon as they make them, we'll be able to spoil anythingwe need to."

"I don't understand. You've always told us electronic access isn't possible for Black areas. How's Quambi going to get into them?"

"He's going to physically intrude with his own completely separate access lines. The Rogue won't know they're there."

"He'll know when things start going wrong."

"No he won't. There'll be clues to tell him it's more external breaches."

"He might. He's very clever."

"He has no idea what he's up against. Quambi has started building his own communication and control network through K74 and he'll end up with direct access to all their Intelligent Systems. And once he gets into the Black areas he'll be watching everything the Cadre and the Rogue are doing."

"How long before he does that?"

"Another two or three weeks at least. He needs to have his network functioning at a basic level for the rest of the Habitat before he tackles the secret areas, and building the network's an enormous job."

"A secret network for the whole of K74 in three weeks?"

"Pico-bots, Thom. His pico factory can do anything ours can. Remember?"

"How long will you be at K74?"

Thom blinked at the sudden reversion to the early part of the conversation.

"Just today. The Comet's Multi-Spectrum Beams will only take a few moments for each construction site. Why?"

"I'm going to tell Sonic. He'll think it's a good adventure to share with you."

***

Thom turned towards Warragul.

"Let's go! We have to get to the next meeting."

They did have to get to another meeting, but not just yet. Thom was trying to dodge the half-hour of mingling which usually followed the formal talks because he'd listened to too many people telling him how good he was. Wirrin and Calen felt the same but evidently it was important for different groups of people to have an opportunity to express their gratitude and for two weeks Warragul had been their official companion, chaperone, or whatever, as they met with a range of people across the three Habitats. Warragul gave a serious looking nod, as if this was something quite important, and in only five minutes they were making their way to the nearest TransCom Portal.

"They all say the same thing."

"Of course they do, but it's heartfelt and important to them, Thom."

"I know, but I'll still be glad when it's over."

"It will never be over, but officially you finish your public meetings after the next few days."

"Just as well. I've only had one proper trip in the Comet since we got back and no training at all. It's getting ridiculous."

***

"It seems like they're in a hurry to restore everything."

The day before, the trio and Sonic had used Thom's ship to examine the reconstruction progress going on in the area of impact and been surprised at how much had happened. The protective hull, which had been vaporised to a depth of over a hundred meters in the worst places, was completely rebuilt and foundations for the docking and construction sites were well under way.

"There is a timeline but it is easily achievable. We were delayed while we moved the Habitats back to all our abandoned raw supply asteroids but the pico-factories are very efficient and they quickly put us on track. The hull repair work is minute compared with the original build and Warrakan can easily handle any important work."

"What is the timeline then?"

"Ensuring we're ready for the move to Uranus in three months. We want to have all construction areas restored, three Comets with mobile AIs built, and complete the basic infrastructure for the Dolphin level of Attunga."

"In three months? The last time I looked it was going to be nearly four years before the dolphin level was finished."

"That hasn't changed. It's the structural framework which needs to be in place. You know how much damage the unexpected firing of Attunga's engines caused in the unformed areas, and we won't repeat that."

Wirrin nodded. He'd seen the results where the grav-free construction area of the new level had suffered the worst of all the Habitat's internal damage. First inertia and then momentum wrenched massive building blocks out of place.

"It's still a massive job though and I don't see how we can build three new Comets in that time either. They take three months each and the ship construction area isn't restored yet."

Pirramar gave the expression which meant Wirrin should look into this for himself.

Hm! One Comet was already started at the Warrakan yard and would be finished well before time. Interesting. Three more construction areas were being developed there and in another month Warrakan would have double the capacity of Attunga. The other two Comets would come from the Attunga yards which would be functional, if not quite finished, in only two more weeks.

"This is amazing. We'll have three times the construction capability we had before the impact but I don't see anything about what the ships are for."

"That's a Gestalt decision. They'll join Quambi's Companion ships and their resident AIs will have special features to augment their independence and resourcefulness. ... Link to the Gestalt research database and find the AI design section. We'll go through what's being proposed."

***

"Dingoes! I don't know whether to be happy or sad. I've just had the most amazing meeting with the Security AI and the people from the center."

Thom had just arrived home after a day at his training center.

'Choose happy then, Great Captain, and banish the sad to an asteroid lost in the ocean of interstellar space.'

"Wise words, Great Fish."

Laughing as he dodged the inevitable jet of water, Thom tossed his gear to one side. He did a bomb drop into the pool a few inches from Sonic's head and the news about his amazing meeting went on hold while the end of day meeting expressed itself in the usual chaos of happy laughter and physical interaction.

"Not fair! You're too big. It's like trying to push a wall around."

'Yajala informs me my growth is likely to continue for at least another twelve years.'

"It better not. We'll need a bigger pool."

They wouldn't. This one had been designed to cope but Thom did have a point because the last few months had seen another growth spurt, and though not yet quite the size of the big Enhanced males, Sonic was certainly approaching it.

'Share your amazing news with us, Little One.'

Thom ignored the dig. He was relaxed now, draped across Sonic's back and leisurely rubbing an area of skin near his blow-hole.

"They think my ship is so important they're taking her off me."

"WHAT?"

His three listeners responded together. That was amazing news.

"And it's partly my own fault. ... For telling you she was precious. The Witnesses and the AIs are going to give her the place of honor in a display centre about the attack. They are giving me another ship, but it won't be the same because she was so good."

"She? Humans are adept at anthropomorphisising."

"?... And some dolphins are swimming word banks. What's that supposed to mean?"

"You called it she, as if it's a person."

Thom grabbed Sonic's dorsal fin but changed his mind about bending it.

"Everyone calls a ship 'she'."

"What's the new one going to be like? I bet it'll be even better."

"It will be able to do more and it might be better."

"You just described the new ship as an 'it'."

Thom laughed at Wirrin and Calen's grins, which said that as soon as he got the new one the 'she' would return and he'd get excited and enthusiastic and once again be boasting about having the best in the Solar System.

"Well, it should be. They're working on improving the grav-compensator and I asked them to make it more powerful as well."

"More? Wombats! Is that possible? I remember you saying something about more powerful engines straining the structure."

"Yes, this new one has to be a bit bigger, forty-nine meters instead of forty-three, and slightly thicker because the hull and the frame have to be stronger."

"When do you get it?"

"In about five weeks. They're building it here on Warrakan. ...Why?"

"We leave for Titania in three months so we should have another try at our K137 adventure. It'll be too far away if we don't."

"Hey! Brilliant, and we won't leave unless Sonic's with us this time. Let's organise it for two weeks after I get the new ship."

'We will demand time for our last chance to visit the mystery asteroid and I will enjoy flying your new ship.'

"No you won't. It's not allowed to get wrecked so I told them they couldn't put any dolphin controls in it."

'You are being provided with a limited old rust bucket?'

Thom looked to Wirrin for the meaning.

"...a nautical term used on Earth to describe an old worn out ship."

"No, a new powerful ship with protections to stop wonky drivers who bump into every asteroid that passes by."

Wirrin didn't know what wonky meant and wondered how Thom did.

'Will it help wonky drivers who need a new door before they can leave their ship?'

So, it had come from an earlier verbal stash with Sonic. Thom, obviously realising he'd left himself wide open with the bumping into asteroid statement, conveniently ignored the comeback.

"It'll have a stronger Multi-Spectrum beam and a slightly bigger pico-factory too and they're going to build twenty more of them after it's been trialled."

"Twenty? Who are they for?"

"Training at the Center. They're building five extra Comets too, but that will all happen after the move."

"They're for training? That means you'll be busier than ever?"

"Probably."

The talk went back to their mystery asteroid and twenty minutes later it was all planned and locked in.

***

"It's hard to take it all in."

"You will. We take all the human sectors for granted, and by the time the Attunga reaches are all functioning you'll feel the same about the dolphin level."

The trio and Sonic had just spent nearly two hours with Galar, zooming from pristine reach to pristine reach through the connector tunnels, to see the enormous new area being made available for the Attunga Enhanced dolphins.

"Do you think the dolphins will be able to take it in? There are more reaches then there are dolphins."

'Dolphins will explore and share their knowledge. Every special sea-grass bed and underwater cave will be known.'

"Not all of it, Thom. These reaches we've seen today will definitely be well-known by our Enhanced dolphins, but there are thousands more in the early stages of development which will be without resident dolphins for decades."

"Thousands? Does that mean Attunga's building more reaches than Warrakan?"

Calen grabbed Thom by the neck and gave him a friendly shake, as if exasperated at his ignorance.

"Thom, you're hopeless! Warrakan's got six levels set aside for dolphins and Attunga's only got one. You can't even compare them."

Gelar laughed.

"You're both right. Comparing the numbers is misleading because Warrakan reaches are deeper, longer, and wider and currently average out at 5.4 times the living space and volume of an Attunga reach. In actual numbers Attunga isn't far behind, but that's short term and because of the forced nature of their development."

Calen received his own shake and comment.

"Now who's hopeless? You don't even know the difference between Warrakan and Attunga reaches."

'All reaches are wonderful.'

Wirrin agreed with Sonic. He'd thought the very same thing the previous evening when his check on the reaches they were to visit today had grabbed his attention and developed into an update of the Habitat-wide dolphin situation.

"It's all wonderful Sonic. When you were born there were only three tiny reaches and three hundred dolphins. Now there are over twelve thousand and there are more reaches than you could ever explore."

"That would be an interesting adventure."

***

Wirrin, standing with Calen, Sonic, Akama, Pirramar and Warragul, watched Thom deftly manipulate his special console so the view of deep space on the enormous display panned till both Attunga and freedom were revealed, stabilised in close proximity for this historic moment.

The display was bigger by far than on any Comet, being the main viewing panel for Warrakan Flight Control, the Center where all alignment and movement of the fifty kilometer long Habitat was managed. Today this task was compounded by the electronic links which placed Warrakan and Freedom under its control.

Akama, representing the Witness Council and the people of all three Habitats, had declined the official honour, suggesting it should be bestowed on Sonic.

Sonic, in turn, declined and insisted Thom was the appropriate person.

Thom, claiming he didn't deserve it, was totally chuffed and had spent the last few days acclimatising himself, by way of simulation, to the ways and means of moving the largest controlled mass in the Solar System at significant acceleration. Now, sitting in the command position, he was waiting for Akama to make the short formal address the occasion demanded and give him the go-ahead.

Attention centred on Akama while he spoke then switched to Thom.

"Freedom engines! ... Engaged!"

On the screen it took a few seconds for a change of position to become apparent and Wirrin watched fascinated by this close view of a Habitat under power.

"Attunga engines! .... Engaged!"

Again there was the short period before motion could be discerned but then the great construct blocked several stars and revealed others. It was on its way.

Wirrin was struck with the significance of the occasion as here he was, once again involved directly in a key event. For the first time Wirrin pondered if something more than the vagaries of chance could possibly be at work. Often the trio claimed to each other that somehow they must be blessed, or cursed, to have been involved in so many big happenings.

"Warrakan engines!... Engaged!"

Wirrin pushed his introspection aside to enjoy Thom's moment. After all, with three singular conmands he'd just directed over one billion people, a thriving dolphin community, and their associated group of AIs, on a course to the far reaches of the Solar System.

***

 

This story, recounting the the role played by an Attungan trio at the end of the first stage of the Great Diaspora, has come to an end.
Thank you for the support and encouragement along the way.
A following story is a definite possibility but not in the near future.
Iarwain.
Copyright © 2014 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Thanks for a wonderful story with a happy ending!

Hopefully, there is another book percolating and I look forward to it!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/24/2014 01:57 PM, Daddydavek said:
Thanks for a wonderful story with a happy ending!

Hopefully, there is another book percolating and I look forward to it!

Again thanks DD.

I have several other projects in mind first( everything else got put on hold for the duration of Attunga) but I do have more ideas than I know what to do with for 'Warrakan' which would be the likely sequel. - maybe next year

  • Like 3
Link to comment

It's hard to accept that this wonderful story has come to an end. I've looked forward

to and enjoyed each chapter. You succeeded in creating some fabulous and unique

characters that I came to love. I'm really going to miss all of them.

 

I think that of all your stories that I've read, this one is now my favorite. You have a

terrific gift, and it seems to get better all the time. Thank you for sharing it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/24/2014 05:17 PM, Stephen said:
It's hard to accept that this wonderful story has come to an end. I've looked forward

to and enjoyed each chapter. You succeeded in creating some fabulous and unique

characters that I came to love. I'm really going to miss all of them.

 

I think that of all your stories that I've read, this one is now my favorite. You have a

terrific gift, and it seems to get better all the time. Thank you for sharing it.

Oh my!

It's a wonderful gift for an author to hear that his characters captured a place in a reader's heart.

Thanks so much for your kind words Stephen.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

WOW!

What a great ending to a fantastic story. One of my all time favourites for sure.

 

It was especially rewarding to read the trio's greatest adventure.

Your style of writing always had me stuck to the page. You have an uncanny way of letting us share a part of the character's emotions, you even had me shedding a tear or two, when the trio returned to the habitat and the celebration of their achievement of saving the habitats.

 

They make such a great team, because they are so invested in each other and all the while they have kept their innocence and humility not to forget their love for each other. Thank for sharing that with us.

 

I will be looking forward to the continuation of this story and all the others you are nice enough to share with us.

 

Matt G.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/25/2014 11:15 AM, mutch71 said:
WOW!

What a great ending to a fantastic story. One of my all time favourites for sure.

 

It was especially rewarding to read the trio's greatest adventure.

Your style of writing always had me stuck to the page. You have an uncanny way of letting us share a part of the character's emotions, you even had me shedding a tear or two, when the trio returned to the habitat and the celebration of their achievement of saving the habitats.

 

They make such a great team, because they are so invested in each other and all the while they have kept their innocence and humility not to forget their love for each other. Thank for sharing that with us.

 

I will be looking forward to the continuation of this story and all the others you are nice enough to share with us.

 

Matt G.

Thank you Matt.

When I'm writing a story the characters become so real in my own mind that it almost feels as if it's them speaking through me, and yes, I experience their emotions too.

It's a privilege to hear that my efforts can provide enjoyment..

  • Like 2
Link to comment

It has to be nearly ten years since I read your stuff on Nifty--but I had not seen this one until I came to G.A., I have been reading science-fiction for around 40 years now, and I have to say that this is the first story with an integral gay theme which I have no problem classing with the greats like Heinlein and Asimov. Just enough science to hold it together and a well thought out society which makes me a believer! I could picture every scene with such clarity that it was almost like I was there...rootingfor the heroes and hissing at the bad guys throughout!

 

I have enjoyed all your work, but this is in a class unto itself, and I hope a sequel is forthcoming...perhaps of the journey to Alpha Centauri, or of more adventures at the Titania Cluster? I anxiously await more exploits of our favorite pod!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

My, what an adventure that was, Iarwain. You certainly do have a good grasp on the balance between science and the personal, human aspect of things. The three young men and the dolphin were great characters to follow the story with. Friends on a wonderful journey in space. I offer a figurative tip of the hat to you.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Captivating through and through. The peril was subtle until the end, but became very real very fast.

 

Thank you for the great journey.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/06/2016 02:58 PM, Milos said:

Captivating through and through. The peril was subtle until the end, but became very real very fast.

 

Thank you for the great journey.

Great to hear that you enjoyed the story. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

This was a very fantastic story and I enjoyed it very much. The characters were so real to me. I just wondered how old the trio was during the story? I’m glad that they are finally able to make the move that had been planned for a long time. I hope that K74 is completely gone after the things that they were doing against the AI’s, at least the Cadre and the Rogue need to be history so that the people can have a better life than they had before. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Butcher56 said:

This was a very fantastic story and I enjoyed it very much. The characters were so real to me. I just wondered how old the trio was during the story? I’m glad that they are finally able to make the move that had been planned for a long time. I hope that K74 is completely gone after the things that they were doing against the AI’s, at least the Cadre and the Rogue need to be history so that the people can have a better life than they had before. 

Thanks - once again - for your encouraging response. I'm delighted that you enjoyed the story. :)

The trio at the start of the story are late teens.

Hmm! I can't say that the Cadre and the rogue are history - lol - just in case there's a third story for the Diaspora Tales.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

What a wonderful story!  I was fortunate to find it over the holidays and had lots of time to just snuggle up and read.  This was so well thought out and constructed, it made for a great adventure.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..