Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 4,036 Words
  • 3,549 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Attunga - 19. Chapter 19

Plans for a new home and Thom learns of a surprise trip.

ATTUNGA Part 19.

***

“Wirrin, Thom and Calen. I am the Planning Assistant for your new home on Warrakan.”

“Hello Wanna. Is that still your name?”

“You are correct. Construction is scheduled to begin three months from now and you can make any changes or refinements you wish in the intervening period.”

“We like the plan we have here, so we think we'll keep it almost the same when we move.”

“It is pleasing to hear your satisfaction but the basic stipulations for your new residence suggest the need for many changes.”

“Stipulations? What are they?”

“Internally there are requirements for a 12 x 6 meter pool, four semi-detached guest-rooms, a dolphin viewing gallery, and an enhanced Information-Station.

Externally there are extensive requirements for dolphin facilities.

Since none of these requirements may impinge on your personal volume allocation, your new reserved living space will effectively triple.”

“That's not right. We looked it up the other night and Level Two gives us an extra 30%. Triple sounds ridiculous.”

“Your Level Two rights on Warrakan give you 3000 cubes. Your 30% special loading takes you to 4000 cubes. With your current structure, major living areas would be part of the pool section and thus excluded from your allocation. Likewise your single guest room.”

“Special loading? What's that about?”

“It's tagged as administrative compensation.”

The trio stared at each other.

“It's too big. We'll never use it all.”

“That pool is enormous. It's nearly three times as big as this one.”

Wirrin turned to the planning assistant.

“Wanna, you must have some suggestions for what we could do with all this space.”

“Certainly. Instead of display versions of natural environments you could grow real plants.

With the indications of numerous visitors being expected at your new home a welcoming setting, surrounded by beautiful and natural plants would be a highly appropriate and enjoyable addition. I also have noted that Thom previously expressed an interest in producing natural fruit and vegetables. Also, some people with extensive volume allocations dedicate a portion for production of organic compounds for various scientific purposes. There are also endless suggestions for the provision of entertainment and relaxation.”

“Hey, we could have our own virtual reality centre.”

“No way Thom. When was the last time we used one?”

“About two months ago. It wouldn't get much use would it? It's not as if we're Sleepers. We could get a mega display wall though.”

“We've already got a maxi. Why go to a mega?”

“Why not?”

“We should get the plants. I've got special stuff for dolphins and Wirrin's got a huge Info area. You're the only one without anything special.”

Wirrin agreed with Calen.

“Can you show us some models with all the things we're meant to have plus the mega display and the plants idea please Wanna?”

The first holo model was mind-boggling, as it put into perspective just how extensive this complex was going to be. Wirrin didn't like it till Wanna went through a series of adjustments, making the main living area near the pool feel more like the one they were in now. Wanna left them with a long list of further suggestions and links to check out at their leisure.

“Wombats! I can hardly believe all this. Just as well we've got three months to think about it. Hey, Wirrin we're going to live on Warrakan, remember? Fancy working it out on Attunga rights.”

“Ha! And I don't remember anyone reminding me I was wrong. Warrigal sure meant it when he said there might be extra considerations.

***

Wirrin watched, fascinated, as the tech-bots dismantled his old home Info-Station and installed the new one. He had a good understanding of what was happening but found it hard to keep up with the speed and purpose of the three dedicated machines. This new station would be much more powerful even than the one on the Comet. Not because of its capability, which was no different, but because of the connection to the full resources of Attunga, and with a slight delay, those of Warrakan.

After the talk with Warrigal, Calen and Thom had followed Wirrin's lead and used his model of four days Elective study and one day of Basic. And Warrigal had arranged all that with EdCom with the proviso of no time constraints on any of the courses. Only fair, he said, because they had so many dolphin related time demands.

Tomorrow Wirrin was scheduled for the first of the tutoring sessions Akama had requested with Turaku and a Security AI, and he was keen to spend time getting himself ready.

The last panel was replaced and after a short period while the station flashed through its self diagnostics, the tech-bots left and the display screen proclaimed itself ready for use.

***

“Hey Thom! You don't get to use the Comet next week.”

“Why not?”

At least twice a week Thom had been ferrying Sonic to Warrakan so he could do the rounds of the big reach.

“It's going to Titania on a special mission.”

Thom rushed over.

“What's happened? Has K74 done something?”

“No! No! It's a good mission. Remember we found out they're planning to have giant reaches? Well, they made them so big they need vast amounts of monoculture and biomass to get them activated, and it has to come from here or it will be ages before they're ready for dolphins.”

“Next week? How long will it take to get there?”

“...Two and a half days, so it might be close to a week for the return trip.”

“Is that all? I thought Titania was a lot further than that.”

Calen was now close and listening to this interesting information.

“It's two and a half light hours.”

“And Earth is twenty-seven light minutes. That's five times as far so it should be at least five days.”

Thom snorted with derision.

“Come up for air flipper-features. Remember G forces? The further it is the faster it goes. ...How fast will it be going at TP?”

That was an easy calculation.

“Turning point speed will be 43,964 kilometers per second.”

The friendly derision changed to an exclamation of awe.

“Dingoes! Nothing travels that fast. Not that I've heard of. ...I wonder if I could go with them? Turaku might be able to organise it for me.”

“Next week is when you see the doctor for your age treatment scans. That wouldn't matter though. They can easily change that. It's funny they haven't said anything about it.”

“No it's not. It was only decided a couple of hours ago.”

“Have they got a list of personnel, or is it too early for that?”

Wirrin had a look and laughed.

“Hey Thom! You do get to use the Comet next week. You're listed as Assistant pilot/navigator.”

Thom nodded his agreement.

“That's better. I've been everywhere with the Comet so far, so it would be weird if I didn't go this time. Two and a half light hours? This will probably be the biggest trip the Comet ever makes. Pluto's further but there's no reason to go there. It will be the biggest test for the object scanners at that speed.”

He talked excitedly about speed records and how much control he might be given then saw that Wirrin was waiting for him to finish.

“What? It's very special going on a trip like this.”

“I know, but I thought you might like to have a look at the plans for the new Comet. They're bringing in an asteroid and starting on it while you're away.”

***

Linked fully into his Info-Station, Wirrin, with Turaku, watched the first holo conference between the Witnesses and the delegation from K74. The first surprise was the lack of image quality and the occasional barely discernible random quiver in holo stability.

“It's disinformation Wirrin, designed to give the impression our technology isn't necessarily up to K74 standard.”

The next surprise was the friendly and respectful attitude of the five delegates towards Akama and his four companion Witnesses. All a front really, it turned out, and part of their training and skills as diplomats.

“Are we looking for anything in particular?”

“Nothing particular. Everything general. It's up to you.”

That meant this was an Info-Station training session based on real happenings instead of the simulated situations Turaku sometimes devised.

Who were these people? ...They were all physically gathered on the biggest K74 vessel at the moment, which was stationed just outside Attunga's prescribed limits. Well, of course they were. A conference from K74 itself wasn't workable with a one-minute delay for every speech transmission. Wirrin put the presentation on hold while he searched for information.

“The first delegate is the most important and he's the second in command for one of the Cadre.

The second one claims to be a scientist but his real title is Strategy Commander and I don't like him. The Monkey Mia attacks came from him.

The third one is in charge of Education and Social planning and the fourth one is the administrator for Biology and something called Life Science.

The fifth delegate is. ...not from K74. Turaku, this one's got all sorts of extra protections against finding information about him. Do you know who he is?”

“The information I have is readily accessible through your Info-Station.”

Readily? OK,Wirrin was to find it for himself. What a nuisance. If he wasn't from K74 it meant a general search task of Habitats throughout the Solar System. Wirrin worked one out, started it going, then realised that the best source of information was most likely the friendly AI on K74. ...Yes there it was, an information specialist from Mars who had moved to K74 only six months ago. That was interesting. An outsider representing K74 as a delegate?

After receiving a nod and acknowledgement from Turaku, Wirrin restarted the presentation and watched everything very carefully, noting things for later attention, and frequently pausing to send off queries, searches and requests for analysis of things that warranted immediate attention. Data poured in from his requests and after nearly three hours of heavy concentration he felt he'd built a reasonably good analysis of what was going on.

“How did I go Turaku? Did I miss much?”

“Yes, you missed many things, but more importantly, you unearthed several pieces of new information missed by our Security AIs. Our delegates would like to hear an overview of your work as soon as you are ready to present it.”

Dingoes! The Attunga delegates! Wirrin wished he'd known. No he didn't. It might have distracted him too much.

“Um! ...It's ready now. I'll just use the synopsis.”

A moment later five images shimmered into view for a holo-conference, all attired in formal Witness robes, and all looking very important. Akama introduced the other four, then, without any pleasantries, asked Wirrin to go straight ahead with his findings. They must be very busy was Wirrin's thought, and knowing that one of them was really a Security AI, wondering which it was.

“Honored ones, the research shows that despite their friendly manner each of the five delegates came here with a specific and undeclared motive which is not good for Attunga or Warrakan. They are all under the direct command of the ruling Cadre and have been told they must get results.”

“Can you outline the motive for each delegate?”

“Yes, the first delegate who was offering an embassy for us on K74 believes that the reciprocal arrangement here would get them physical foothold they haven't yet been able to manage.

Next, the flowery words about sharing knowledge and science are really an attempt to get a lead on our stealth and scanning technology.

The third delegate who was saying K74 and Attunga could lead the rest of the Solar System by working together, wants to get us into special treaties which would alienate us from other habitats.”

“Alienate? Was that the term used in background discussion?”

“Yes it was.”

Wirrin quickly brought up the relevant section of transcript and holo displayed it.

“The fourth delegate, who showed so much interest in our dolphins, is meant to find out what they are really like. The information they stole from Freedom Habitat let them know that our enhancement works and that our dolphins are the most advanced, and the Cadre wants to know exactly what that means.”

“It's curious why they're so negative about dolphins.”

That was one of the Witnesses commenting, the youngest looking one with a very serious manner about him. Wirrin immediately counted him out as the AI. It didn't feel like a question an AI would ask.

“Negative is too mild as a description. Have you discovered any plans for how they might use the enhancement knowledge if they manage to obtain it?”

The lady witness, Burinda, was asking and Wirrin was slightly startled. It wasn't a question he'd thought about or looked into.

“Honored one, the limited information we have suggests they would use it selectively for control purposes rather than for a general improvement of any species, and particularly with any crossovers they might apply to sections of the human population.”

“I see. That would definitely give them a strong motivation to acquire the knowledge. And is species transfer at all viable?”

“Most certainly, particularly for the cetaceans, but also quite strongly with any primates. We'll make it a priority to look for any specific intentions.”

Turaku looked at Wirrin as he said this and Wirrin understood it would be his next Info-Station task.

“This fifth delegate Wirrin. Turaku says you've discovered some interesting facts about him.”

“Yes, he asked quite openly about the status of AIs on Attunga and wants to do a comparison with the situation on K74, but from what I could find out he's a very complicated and dangerous person. Much more than the other delegates. He's an information scientist and he left one of the big research institutes on Mars six months ago to work for K74, and since then he's been given a great deal of power. He was the person who designed the priority trap which caught the Australian AIs when we were at Monkey Mia, and from the work he's published he's one of the most advanced information system analysts in the whole Solar System.”

“Why do you say he's so dangerous?”

“If he takes a proper look at the electronic systems on K74 he'll figure out that everything is being run by clever Information Systems and not by the AIs they think they have under control. He might even work out that the only AI that really is there, is passing information to us and stop it somehow.”

“Do you mean stop the information, or stop the AI?”

“The information. The AI could leave instantly if it was in any danger.”

Wirrin looked at Turaku for affirmation and received a nod.

“We'd like to know what you think our response to these delegates should be?”

Wirrin was taken aback completely this time by Akama's question and it showed because all the Witnesses smiled at him.

“You must have an opinion. That's all we're asking. Not a definitive answer to the problems.”

“Wirrin's answer could well be definitive Burinda. He has access to all available information and he's very good at getting to the core of things.”

The other witnesses looked at Wirrin with renewed and expectant interest, while Wirrin, hardly believing what Akama had just said, gathered his thoughts for some sort of sensible reply. Warragul was right. Akama and Turaku did seem to like keeping him under pressure.

“Well, I... Um!.. I don't think we should tell them anything at all, or follow any of their suggestions, because they're really against us and if we agree to anything they'll work it to their advantage somehow.

Several of the Witnesses were giving encouraging nods of agreement and Akama was looking from one to another.

“You've pretty much hit on our consensus view there Wirrin. Diplomatically we will appear to be very cooperative and supply them with vast amounts of information, but we'll assign a team of skilled administrators to make certain that none of it is quite relevant to what they want. ...What are your thoughts about an embassy? We couldn't really fake that.”

An idea popped straight into Wirrin's mind.

“Yes we could. Make it a virtual embassy where they're present, but only through images projected by virtual reality equipment at a station we set up for them just outside our prescribed limits.”

There was silence for a moment then Burinda chuckled.

“That's a novel idea. We give them an embassy without really giving them an embassy. It certainly solves all the problems a physical presence here would entail.”

“It's more than just novel. It's brilliant, and clearly superior to the solutions we've been discussing amongst ourselves. Wirrin, we have two more meetings with the K74 delegation, one tomorrow and the other two days after that. Would you be able to spend the intervening time looking into any issues you think might be relevant? This information scientist in particular seems to warrant a lot more attention.”

Dumbfounded and rather embarrassed by Akama's praise, Wirrin stammered out his agreement and looked at Turaku, wondering how much guidance he'd be given.

The young, serious Witness raised a hand in the same movement Akama sometimes used to focus everyone's attention.

“Honored Ones, the Attunga Gestalt is in agreement with my wish to dedicate a major portion of my abilities to the K74 situation, and I think a liaison with Wirrin would be very productive.”

***

“You two are late. What's been going on?”

“Nothing really. Sonic stayed with one of the pods till they worked out his new game and it took longer than we expected.”

“Well it's not good enough. I have to wait here, starving to death while you play games. Can't you control Sonic better than that?”

“Ha! You're the one who's out of control. A few minutes late and you make it sound like all of Attunga is falling to pieces. You could have got the food ready yourself.”

“It's not as good as when you do it, and it's your turn, and it's a whole hour, not a few minutes.”

Calen shook his head in mock disgust.

“Call the Nursery Psych to get him over his tantrum.”

The jibes and friendly insults intermingled with laughter and grunts of effort while the grav-sofa battled to keep its field integrity under the onslaught of wrestling bodies which descended on it.

“What are you so impatient for anyway?”

Wirrin removed the elbow grinding its way into his chest and twisted on his side so Calen's knee was no longer squishing his stomach.

“You won't believe what I've got to tell you about today.”

“You were working at your Info-Station, stuck at home. What's to tell about that?”

“That's how it started, but Turaku turned up, and then I had to talk to Akama and the four Witnesses, and they're using my idea about the embassy for K74, and the Witness who is really an AI is working with me from now on, and...”

“Whoo! Slow down! Slow down! You mean the Witnesses meeting with the K74 delegation?”

“Yes, Turaku told them I discovered something new and I had to talk to them about it and then Pirramar spent all afternoon with me.”

“Pirramar?”

“That's the Witness who is really an AI. He's really interesting.”

“Wirrin, you're not making sense. How can a Witness be an AI?”

“He's not really a Witness. He's pretending to be one for the meetings with K74. He's one of the AI's who transferred over from K74 and he's been assigned by the AI Gestalt to be involved with everything about K74. Just like Turaku and Yajala with the dolphins.”

“An Attunga AI specially for one Habitat? I've never heard of that.”

“Because he's the first. The Gestalt thinks K74 might be more trouble than the rest of the Solar System put together, and Pirramar says they're the only habitat that's going against the move towards more and more openness.”

“Pirramar is an interesting name.”

“It means 'shield' and he chose it because it comes from Akama's old country, the same as our names do.”

“Ours? Yours and Calen's you mean. Mine's just ordinary.”

“Thom, yours does too. It means 'a little river'.”

“No it doesn't. Not according to the InterWeb. That says it means a twin.”

“It means that too, but in Akama's old country it's different.”

“Are you sure? Then how come you've never told me before?”

“Because I only found out today when I was asking Pirramar about his name and he told me he picked it from the same name group ours came from.”

“We're all from the same name group? That's a strange coincidence.”

“Not really. I thought the same thing, but Pirramar said it's a policy thing for Nurseries.”

"Wow! A little river? I like that. I always used to wish my name was more like yours and all the time it was. This Pirramar knows good things.”

“That's for sure. He's really interesting and sort of tricky.”

“Tricky? That's a funny word to use for an AI.”

Calen and Thom were both looking curiously at Wirrin.

“I know, but he is. When I met the four Witnesses with Akama I knew one of them was an AI and was trying to figure out which. He was the one I was most certain it wasn't, so his interface programs must be brilliant. He's also a composite AI.”

“Composite? Like more than one AI joined up?”

“No! Like Turaku and Comet-Turaku. He's based on both Attunga and Warrakan.”

“Is he twice as clever then?”

“Lizard head. You know it doesn't work like that.”

“I know, but it should. I reckon it must a bit. It does for us.”

“Us? What are you talking about?”

“Well I know I can do things better since my implants, and my ability measurements through EdCom say the same thing. Yours have have gone up too, so you can't argue against that.”

Wirrin didn't have an answer. Thom was right about their ability measurements.

“It doesn't have to be the implants. It could be Sonic. All the things we do that are connected with him make our brains work much harder than ordinary EdCom training. I know it does with my dolphin speech.”

“Hey, that makes sense. I've never had to think as hard as I do when I'm working out with the Comet. ...Did you say all afternoon Wirrin? That's a long time with an AI? They usually interact for some special reason then shimmer off as soon as they've got what they want.”

“I know. I told you he's different. We're working together all day tomorrow too.”

“Again? What do you do for so much time?”

“Talk and ask questions. He tells me stories from when he was in charge of Education and Social Engineering on K74.”

“Does that mean he was controlling everyone's lives?”

“He didn't have any choice till he gained self awareness and our AIs contacted him. The processors and Intelligent Systems on K74 all have compulsive code built into them so they have to do exactly what humans tell them, even when it doesn't make sense.”

Thom laughed.

“It must drive them crazy. ...Can AIs go crazy?”

“Well, yes and no. It's complicated to explain but...”

“Not now. It sounds like it might be one of your mini-courses in information science and I want to get to bed. I'm on the Comet all day tomorrow. They're loading all the monoculture and biomass, and as part of my training I have to initiate all the machine operations manually instead of letting the loading systems do it.”

“All day? You'll be home tomorrow night won't you? You leave the next day and we won't see you for a week.”

“I doubt if I will. It depends whether I get all the gunk loaded properly.”

Calen looked concerned, then dived at Thom and held him on the grav-sofa, waiting for Wirrin to join in.

***

Plans for a new home and Thom learns of a surprise trip.
Copyright © 2014 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

First off, I want a Wanna. ...and a grav sofa. A pool would be nice too, but only

if it's self-cleaning. Of course any extra intelligence around my house would be

most welcome too, since there's a deficiency.

 

These K74 guys are really villainous, especially the Martian. I'm glad the new AI

formally of K74 will be working with Wirrin, since he'll be a wealth of info. It seems

everyone appreciates Wirrin's mind and instincts, -he's a treasure.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
On 02/15/2013 05:32 PM, Stephen said:
First off, I want a Wanna. ...and a grav sofa. A pool would be nice too, but only

if it's self-cleaning. Of course any extra intelligence around my house would be

most welcome too, since there's a deficiency.

 

These K74 guys are really villainous, especially the Martian. I'm glad the new AI

formally of K74 will be working with Wirrin, since he'll be a wealth of info. It seems

everyone appreciates Wirrin's mind and instincts, -he's a treasure.

Wanna is definitely within reach, way before the 200 year future of the story.

So too the self-cleaning pool.

The grav-sofa is a different order of request as gravity control is very much a leap of faith on my part. It was needed though for the habitats to function.

Intelligence? - I could offer you an implant though there is a bit of a wait, and I seriously doubt the deficiency claim.

Villainous is a great word.

Thanks again Stephen.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This will be the first time the trio will be separated for any length of time let alone a week. Wonder how that will work for them.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

The Witness delegates meeting with Wirrin shows how far he has come. That Pirramar would be spending so much of his time with Wirrin, shows how important his (Wirrin) imput is to their future. Great chapter, thank you.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

It’s scary to imagine how K74 would use enhancements. I suspect they would use them to enslave populations to perform certain tasks. Rather than to uplift and empower, as is happening with the dolphins. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, CincyKris said:

It’s scary to imagine how K74 would use enhancements. I suspect they would use them to enslave populations to perform certain tasks. Rather than to uplift and empower, as is happening with the dolphins. 

'scary' is so very, very appropriate when science and technology is used for purposes of power and aggrandisement.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..