Jump to content
    paren01
  • Author
  • 3,751 Words
  • 2,648 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Once In Every Ten Thousand Years - 2. Chapter 2

The Party

Ethan arrived a little late to the end-of-school party. His best friend Kobe was already comfortably moving with the flow of the party. There must have been fifty to eighty kids present. There seemed to be more boys than girls, but that made sense because it was Kobe's party, and most guys and girls were not dating seriously yet.

Ethan and Kobe casually exchanged their personal hand checks. Kobe's dad, a huge LA Lakers fan, named him after Kobe Bryant. It was funny, but the name fits him, and on top of that, he was a pretty good b-ball player. He was an even better soccer player. Over six feet tall, he was lean, fast, and just ... athletic. They became friends in grade school soon after Kobe's dad moved the family from Los Angeles to Napa County. Kobe provided the cool and Ethan the likeability.

Ethan exchanged fist bumps and smiles with another close friend, Emma. She and Kobe were rarely far apart at social get-togethers. Even though Kobe pretended to be a player, it was obvious that they liked each other, and he wasn't interested in anyone else.

Another of their friends, Nick, was gregarious and quick with a joke or a funny story. At least he thought they were funny. Usually easygoing, he had a slight weight problem, which he stressed over sometimes. Despite that, Nick was always fun to have around.

The last of the core group of friends was Justin. Justin was a total horndog. He obsessed about girls. Not bad looking, Justin was extremely shy around any female he found attractive, almost all of them. Emma was one of the few girls he could talk to without falling apart, and that was only because he thought of her more as a friend than a girl.

Nick finished telling one of his stupid stories and, noticing Ethan's quiet, thoughtful expression, asked. "What's up? You're really quiet."

Ethan responded, "Just thinking about some stuff."

"Like what?" asked Emma.

Not wanting to divulge his conversation with Mr. Kitchens, he laughingly made a pouty face and replied, "Mainly the summer. I'm afraid I'll be lonely with all you guys working."

"You should come work at the water park with me and Justin. It's going to be way fun."

"Ha ha, you know my folks will make me take some classes. It sucks, but you never know. Something might come up." Ethan smiled to himself.

Kobe lived in a big California ranch-style house on about a half acre of land. The house was nice, but the oversized patio and pool were the best part.

Kobe and Emma drifted away from the group. Most of the kids were either in the pool or gathered around it. Music was playing, kids were socializing, and a volleyball game was happening in the pool.

Ethan made the tour, fist-bumping, bro-hugging, and greeting all the partygoers. He knew everyone pretty well.

Ethan and Nick met up with Justin and listened to him talk about hot girls when they noticed Kobe and Emma emerge from one of the bedrooms that opened onto the patio. Ethan wondered what they'd been up to and decided to have some fun.

Ethan greeted Emma, fist-bumped Kobe, and said, "You two look a little flushed; been playing a strenuous game of twister?"

Justin and Nick, both realizing the implications of what Ethan said, looked at each other and, in unison, emitted "OOOH!"

They all laughed while Emma turned scarlet, and Kobe stood there with a slightly pissed look.

They were all good friends, and Ethan didn't want to make them too uncomfortable, so he abruptly changed the subject. "When do you guys start your jobs?"

Kobe, happy to change the subject, replied. "Emma and I have orientation tomorrow morning." The two spent the summer working at a day camp for developmentally disabled kids. Surprisingly, it was Kobe who thought of the idea and convinced Emma to apply for the job. Ethan would have loved joining them at the day camp, but his parents wouldn't consider it.

Justin and Nick had orientation the weekend before and were starting the next day. Working at the water park didn't take any special skills other than being alert and knowing how to swim. They both had lifesaving certificates.

An awkward silence followed. Finally, Kobe, thinking that Ethan was feeling bad about not having a summer job, said in a subdued voice. "Have you decided what summer school classes you will take?"

Ethan's face brightened slightly. "Maybe. I was thinking of taking 'Philosophy for the Very Advanced Mind.'" he laughed easily.

They all laughed politely while giving Ethan a concerned look. They weren't sure whether his lack of a summer job was messing with his mind or maybe he'd taken some kind of drug before coming to the party. Neither seemed likely, but that was a strange response from the usually precise Ethan.

Emily was the first to say something. "I've never heard of that class. Where's it taught, and who's the teacher?"

Ethan was eager to share his recent class and job prospects, but remembering his promise to Mr. Kitchens, he said, "I liked the Philosophy class last term, so maybe I'll take another class with Mr. Kitchens."

Having recovered from the earlier embarrassment, Kobe abruptly blurted. "What! You want to be a teacher or something. Your parents are never going to agree to that. "

Kobe was right. Ethan's parents wanted him to be a professional. They told him that some kind of doctor or a lawyer was preferred. They wanted the best for their son, even if they never asked him what he wanted to do. To date, it wasn't a problem. He liked almost all his classes and hadn't yet zeroed in on any particular area of interest. Convincing them to let him take this class may be a challenge. It didn't directly fit into their plans for him. Mr. Kitchens was pretty impressive, and he was confident the two of them could persuade his parents of the value of the summer program.

Ethan realized he was getting increasingly excited about meeting with Mr. Kitchens and John Christian Anderson this summer. He knew his decision was made. Rather than wait until Monday, Ethan decided to tell Mr. Kitchen right away. Even though it wasn't even 7:00 yet, he could call now!

Suddenly realizing his friends were staring at him, Ethan said, "I gotta make a phone call. I'll be right back." He left them and went into the house.

They exchanged more concerned glances. Jason spoke for all of them. "What's wrong with Ethan?"

He knew Kobe's house really well. He'd spent a lot of time over at his house. When they were younger, they took turns 'sleeping over.' Ethan knew that the den would be quiet. It was a little used room off the central hallway.

He pulled out his phone and dialed his teacher's number. He reminded himself to save the number.

After a few seconds, Ethan heard. "Kitchens here".

He'd never called a teacher before. He heard a female voice laughing in the background, realizing he might be disturbing something.

"Hello, hello... Ethan, is that you?"

Snapping out his daze, he replied, "Yeah, how did you know it was me."

"I have your number in my phone. "

"Oh."

There was a pause of several seconds before Mr. Kitchens asked, "Is there something I can do for you, Ethan."

"Yeah ... Well ... I guess I wanted to tell you that I ... Uh ... want the job."

"That's fantastic!" Exclaimed Mr. Kitchens. "When can we meet with your parents?"

Ethan hadn't thought that far ahead. His parents worked during the week, and their hours differed. On top of that, his mother would be on a business trip in New York for most of the following week.

"If I can clear it with my parents, can we meet tomorrow, Saturday afternoon?"

"Sure, Ethan. I have nothing pressing until Monday morning when I meet with John. Anytime Saturday or Sunday would be perfect. Why don't you talk to you're parents and text me with a time. I can either come by your house or meet at my office at the school. Let me know. I'm flexible the entire weekend."

Forgetting his awkwardness, Ethan gave Mr. Kitchens an enthusiastic "OK! I'll text you as soon as I know something."

Ethan returned to his friends in time to catch the end of Nick telling a story about a YouTube video he saw concerning a skateboarding stunt that went terribly wrong. Needless to say, it involved a numbing shot to the boarder's crotch. The group found it cringingly funny. Ethan joined in the laughter. His friends were all happy that Ethan was acting like his old self.

He hung around with the gang for a while, occasionally touring around the pool, greeting the recent arrivals, and generally having a good time. He wanted to talk to his parents before they went to bed, so he said his goodbyes and left around 8:30. Nick, wanting to be fresh for his first day at the water park, gave him a ride home.

Ethan's Parents

Entering the house, Ethan heard his parents talking and watching TV in the family room. Not heavy drinkers, his parents did, usually have a glass or two of wine on Fridays. He could tell that they were relaxed and having a good time. His parents did enjoy each other's company. He thought his timing couldn't be better.

Trying to appear at ease, he plopped into a cushy chair facing his parents and asked, "Mom, Dad, is this a good time to talk about my summer?"

"Sure, honey," his mother said while his dad nodded.

"One of my teachers suggested I take a summer school class he's teaching this summer."

Still nodding, his dad asked, "What kind of class."

Ethan realized this was where things might get a little tricky.

"It's a philosophy class."

His dad stopped nodding, so Ethan quickly added, "It's an advanced philosophy class. There are only two students."

His mom interjected, "Ethan, I'm not sure this is the best use of your time. We hoped you'd take a math, science, or writing class. You know, something that might help you with your SAT preparations."

His dad, nodding again, said, "Maybe it's not too early to take a SAT preparation class. I know you did well in the practice tests, but some extra preparation can only help. We want you to get into a good university, champ."

Picking up on his parent's reasoning, he continued, "I know you're right, but the teacher is interested in me taking the class. He's a Stanford professor on loan to my school. I think he will give me a strong recommendation. He wants to come by this weekend to discuss it with you."

The next afternoon, at the agreed-upon time, Mr. Kitchens arrived and was seated in the great room with Ethan and his family.

After introductions, Ethan's dad stated, "As much as I appreciate the interest you've taken in my son, I'm a little concerned about the value of this class to him. He's a bright boy; we hope he will pursue a more practical career. I'm not sure this is the right direction for him right now."

Mr. Kitchens composed a thoughtful reply. "I agree with you completely. Ethan is exceptional in many ways. He's already on the fast track to do anything he wants with his life. I'll admit I have ulterior motives for encouraging him to participate in this program. Ethan's presence will benefit the other student in the class. You have guided Ethan well, but I feel that he is at an age where he needs to stretch himself and begin exploring his world on his own. I don't imagine Ethan becoming a classical philosopher. Still, I expect him to be a complex thinker, which will benefit him in any career he chooses."

Ethan's mother asked, "Tell me about this other student."

"He is a boy about Ethan's age. His name is John Christian Anderson."

Both of Ethan's parents jolted. "the John Christian Anderson?" Mr. Kitchens nodded. "How can that be? He can't be only fifteen years old."

"Actually, he'll be fourteen years old next week," the professor replied.

Both parents were stunned. Of course, this news changed everything. Their focus immediately shifted away from the career value of the class to the physical and emotional well-being of their son.

Mr. Kitchens continued, "I assure you that even though John is intimidating, he has never displayed any ill well to anyone I know of. He is often abrupt, direct, and dismissive, but I know Ethan can handle it. Ethan will have a distinctive opportunity to interact with the greatest intellect the world has ever known."

Ethan's parents knew they could not deny their son this opportunity. Much to Ethan's relief, His parents reluctantly agreed to Mr. Kitchens' proposal.

On the way out, Mr. Kitchens addressed Ethan. "Can you start Monday morning?"

"Definitely!" replied Ethan.

"I'll pick you up at eight. It takes about forty-five to get to the compound. By the way, you haven't asked, but it pays fifty dollars an hour, travel time included. Is that OK?"

Ethan's eyes nearly popped out of their sockets, "that's way more than I expected. I would have done it for free."

Mr. K laughed, "The institute would have paid you practically anything you wanted."

Ethan joined in the laughter as Mr. Kitchen took his leave. He couldn't believe how this summer was turning out. Not only would he experience the most incredible adventure of his life, but he was also getting paid much more than the typical fifteen-year-old would expect, even in his dreams. Wait until he told the guys. They wouldn't believe him. He knew he couldn't tell them about John, but still … this would be quite a summer break.

First Trip to the Compound

Ethan was apprehensive when he climbed into the passenger seat of Mr. K's X5 BMW. He noticed a baby seat in the back and some toys in a wicker basket on the floor. He was learning more things about his teacher all the time.

Mr. K offered Ethan one of the two coffees in the front seat cup holders. Ethan politely declined, stating he was more of a hot chocolate kind of guy. "OK, hot chocolate tomorrow. How are you feeling?"

Ethan thought aloud, "A little nervous, I guess."

"Let me prepare you for a few things. John can be intense sometimes … well, almost always. He tends to stare particularly at new people. It lessens with time, but it is good because it indicates he is interested. As I explained to you last Friday, he isn't well-socialized. He will probably come across as weird in a laconic kind of way. Don't be put off; it's how he lives his life. He is, as you know, highly productive. He has shown no interest in fostering friendships; regrettably, he hasn't formed familial bonds with his parent either. I know it breaks their hearts, but they can do little about it at this stage. Ethan, don't take John's detachment personally. It's all he knows."

This conversation did nothing to lessen Ethan's apprehension. They proceeded on highway CA-12 for several miles, turning onto Occidental Road and proceeding for a while, finally turning onto the Bohemian Highway. This area was heavily forested with redwood trees and other fauna. After a few miles, they exited onto a hardly visible unmarked side road. Within a hundred yards, they arrived at an impressive eight-foot-tall stone wall with a large, solid-looking double-doored gate.

The Compound

A nondescript guard immediately approached the driver-side widow of the X5. "Hello, Mr. Kitchen," the guard formally greeted the driver. Ethan noticed something precise, almost military, about how the guard carried himself. "I see you brought a guest". Looking at Ethan, he asked. "Are you Ethan Edwards?" Ethan acknowledged that he was, and the guard stated, "Welcome, we have been expecting you. Please proceed into the compound." At that, the large doors slowly swung open.

Ethan didn't know what to expect. He looked to Mr. Kitchen, who nodded encouragingly as they drove through the gates and into the compound. Immediately on the other side of the stonewall, there was barren ground. This was such a contrast to the heavily woody area they had just left that it took Ethan's eyes a few seconds to adjust to the brighter light. Fifty yards from the wall was a high-tech security fence with a guard gate, this time manned by four well-armed military personnel. Beyond this fence, Ethan could see several well-built modern buildings along with military vehicles and more military personnel. Still somewhat sparse, a manicured landscape led up to another perimeter fence surrounding a dense old-growth wooded area.

They parked the car in a designated guest spot and proceeded to the gate. Mr. Kitchens passed through the security scanner into the second section of the compound. Ethan would learn later that there were multiple security screens, some starting as early as their turn onto the Bohemian Highway. Ethan passed through the security scanner, and two armed security persons escorted him to the closest buildings. Some machine he had never seen before then analyzed Ethan. The technician told him that a variation of John Christian Anderson's genetic analysis technology assured that Ethan was healthy and not likely to infect John with any pathogens or infectious diseases. Additionally, it provided Security with a highly detailed genetic "fingerprint." In the future, the security scanner at the gate could pick up any differences in his baseline and provide a foolproof identity check.

Mr. Kitchens and Ethan proceeded to the third gate. Two guards monitored this gate but allowed the two to move through the security scanners unchallenged. After the scan, a door in the gate opened automatically to allow them entrance. They followed a beautiful wooded path through the forest. After a few hundred feet, they came to an opening in a hill leading gradually downward into a large underground structure. Ethan could see a vast, thick metal door retracted into the wall of the building. Proceeding down an escalator, they arrived at an underground tram. There were three separate cars staged for transport. Mr. Kitchens led Ethan to the first car. The carrier was well insulated against noise and featured six comfortable leather-like seats.

They were the only people on the tram. As far as Ethan could tell, they were the only ones at the compound besides the Security and technicians. Taking their seats, a female voice asked them for their destination. Mr. Kitchens stated, "Main lobby," the transport immediately proceeded smoothly, picking up speed as it went.

The tram continued, steadily descending a tunnel. After a few minutes, the vehicle slowed and stopped. The doors opened onto a large corridor leading to a tastefully appointed lobby. The room was spacious and peaceful, with a high coved ceiling illuminated with indirect soft white light. Well-appointed contemporary rugs lay over the stone floor. Scattered around the room were comfy seating areas. Straight ahead, behind a console, was a large doorway with a sign labeled 'Conference Rooms'. Off to the right was a double doorway leading into what appeared to be a game room. To the left was a luxurious but empty dining room. Two waiters stood just inside the entrance. Otherwise, the lobby was devoid of people.

Turning to Ethan, Mr. Kitchens said. "We've got about thirty minutes before we meet with John. I have a little prep to do in one of the conference rooms. Why don't you play around in the game room? Just talk to the room. It's very intuitive. I'll come and get you when John is ready.

The Game Room

The game room was huge. It was larger than Ethan's family's great room at home. Around the room were the prototypes of the latest Xbox, Nintendo, Playstation, and Apple games. Ethan knew he was one of only a few to see these devices.

The lights dimmed as he entered the room, and the walls and doorway disappeared. A voice asked, "Ethan, what would you like to do?"

The consoles had evidently scanned him for his identity. "What are my choices?"

The room answered, "There are many activities you can participate in. Upon their release to the public, some of the most popular games for these consoles will be playing an interactive game, entering as a character into a popular movie, and interacting with a character of your choice in a place of your choice. You can choose from thousands of games, movies, characters, and places."

Ethan was momentarily dazed. As much as the gaming and entertainment universes had changed in the last few years since John's invention, this was unimaginably more advanced. John, it seems, has created virtual worlds for people to explore. There were far-flung implications for human society. Ethan was beginning to understand why John Christian Anderson was starting to question his impact on this world.

Realizing he didn't have much time, Ethan decided to try something simple. "I want to be a Jedi knight in a lightsaber battle with a Sith lord."

He saw no countdown indicator, but the room began to transform. He somehow knew that the game would start when the transformation was complete. A fearsome Sith Lord approached and ignited his double-bladed saber. He was real! This wasn't a game … or was it? He was holding his own saber, which he instinctively ignited. Suddenly, his confidence increased. He spun the saber, feeling a strangely familiar heft to the potent weapon. Ethan nimbly engaged the Sith Lord. They parried nearly effortlessly. The lightsaber was part of him. All the perception, agility, and knowledge of a great Jedi knight were a part of him. He was still himself, but there was something else, something different, and something greater that was also part of him.

He battled on. Suddenly, a new character appeared in the game. A boy with penetrating blue-grey eyes was staring directly at Ethan as though he was peering into his very soul. Ethan was distracted, and the Sith Lord cleaved him at the waist with a sweeping lightsaber strike. He felt it, but it wasn't really painful. The game ended, and the room came back into focus. Ethan, thankfully, was unhurt. The boy was standing in the game room entrance, still staring at Ethan.

Copyright © 2017 paren01; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I confess when I initially read the story description I was only somewhat interested in reading it. Since there were two chapters available I decided to give it a try. Boy, am I glad I did! I really like Ethan, and I can't wait to read about his meeting with John and see how it goes. Good start! Jeff

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 01/22/2017 05:03 PM, JeffreyL said:

I confess when I initially read the story description I was only somewhat interested in reading it. Since there were two chapters available I decided to give it a try. Boy, am I glad I did! I really like Ethan, and I can't wait to read about his meeting with John and see how it goes. Good start! Jeff

Thank you for the review. It is really good to learn that you are enjoying the read.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

when i came across this story, i originally was not going to read it. the description intrigued me, but was worried about the 1 year and 6 months between chapters. i didn't want to get suck into the story and have such lengths between chapters. but i bit the bullet and glad i did. i like the characters but i find Ethan's parents creepy. hope to see a new chapter soon.
moggy

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/23/2017 03:42 AM, mogwhy said:

when i came across this story, i originally was not going to read it. the description intrigued me, but was worried about the 1 year and 6 months between chapters. i didn't want to get suck into the story and have such lengths between chapters. but i bit the bullet and glad i did. i like the characters but i find Ethan's parents creepy. hope to see a new chapter soon.

moggy

Thanks for reading the story. The response to the second chapter is more encouraging then the first. I hope to publish a new chapter within the next two weeks. Appreciate the feedback on Ethan's parents. The creepiness wasn't intentional. I'll try to be more careful in the future developing the peripheral characters.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm glad this is going to be continued--but it makes me sad that John seems to have so little interaction with anyone but people who want to use him. Mr. Kitchens seems to be the exception, and I really ope that Ethan cn bring John into a better situation.
John's parents might be sad that he shows no sign of being close to them, but what can they expect? He was rapidly put in a situation of high pressure and it was more important to others what he could produce...authority figures are no respecters of less concrete things like emotions. I only hope it isn't too late for John to learn these other aspects of the human condition.
Go Ethan--bring your perspective and empathy to our prodigy!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/23/2017 11:00 AM, ColumbusGuy said:

I'm glad this is going to be continued--but it makes me sad that John seems to have so little interaction with anyone but people who want to use him. Mr. Kitchens seems to be the exception, and I really ope that Ethan cn bring John into a better situation.

John's parents might be sad that he shows no sign of being close to them, but what can they expect? He was rapidly put in a situation of high pressure and it was more important to others what he could produce...authority figures are no respecters of less concrete things like emotions. I only hope it isn't too late for John to learn these other aspects of the human condition.

Go Ethan--bring your perspective and empathy to our prodigy!

That certainly is Mr. K's hope.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Well, I found this in the lineup today and decided to give it a try.  So far, so good,  but I just discovered the time lag.  I hope this won’t continue.  🫰

Now, back to the story…

Its..its.. its the Holodeck from the Enterprise! What a great way to be entertained!

Of course Ethan’s parents allowed him to do this.  They may be sworn to secrecy right now, but that won’t last forever, I’m sure.  They are hoping he will benefit greatly from this.

John sounds like he could almost be on the autism spectrum. These kids can have many idiosyncrasies, like social difficulties, but many of these kids are brilliant in a variety of ways.  I know, most of his problems stem from his lack of a proper childhood, but I have to wonder if there isn’t, at least, some additional element for his difficulties.

Link to comment
18 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

Well, I found this in the lineup today and decided to give it a try.  So far, so good,  but I just discovered the time lag.  I hope this won’t continue.  🫰

Now, back to the story…

Its..its.. its the Holodeck from the Enterprise! What a great way to be entertained!

Of course Ethan’s parents allowed him to do this.  They may be sworn to secrecy right now, but that won’t last forever, I’m sure.  They are hoping he will benefit greatly from this.

John sounds like he could almost be on the autism spectrum. These kids can have many idiosyncrasies, like social difficulties, but many of these kids are brilliant in a variety of ways.  I know, most of his problems stem from his lack of a proper childhood, but I have to wonder if there isn’t, at least, some additional element for his difficulties.

Interesting that you brought up ASD. I edited a section out about his instructors, Mr. Kitchens, consideration of John’s condition. It was a close call but I decided it might slow the pace of the story. It’s an important topic and I didn’t want to sell it short. That might have been a mistake. 
 

I’m not sure about the time lag. After the first few paragraphs everything should be contemporaneous. Ethan tells some stories but it is suppose to relate to the current (story) time period. Maybe I need to reread it with that in mind. 
 

Thanks for the comments. 

Edited by paren01
Link to comment

The world’s greatest mind resides in wine country where I’ve only killed brain cells. 

Great detail in the description of the compound. Looking forward to meeting John.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..