Jump to content
    paren01
  • Author
  • 4,685 Words
  • 1,793 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Once In Every Ten Thousand Years - 4. Chapter 4

John was in his usual place. He looked uncomfortable. He wasn't fidgeting like the day before but wringing his hands. Ethan, picking up on John's distress, placed his backpack on the table and said, "I brought my stuff."

The boy smiled. It was a genuine smile.

Both Ethan and Mr. Kitchens smiled back. Ethan's smile evolved into a friendly laugh. Mr. K followed suit, and to their delight, John laughed for the very first time in his life.

Meanwhile, the storm began to dissipate on the conference room walls, and the sun broke through the clouds.

Chapter 4

Ethan realized after a minute that John wasn't laughing anymore. He resumed staring at Ethan with an uncomfortable intensity, which caused Ethan's laughter to peter out.

Mr. Kitchens, sensing the change in the room's atmosphere, also stopped laughing. Up to this point, he was pleased with his and Ethan's progress with John. He planned on observing the teen's interaction and ending the class early to allow the boys to proceed with their sleepover. Now, he realized that a moment had passed, and it was time to return normalcy to the situation. Although John showed signs of coming out of his shell and acting more like a typical fourteen-year-old, there were still dangers. Despite his intelligence and apparent maturity, John was exploring a new aspect of his life that he may not be equipped to deal with. The teacher still thought this was good for both John and Ethan, but the risks were real.

Sometimes, Mr. Kitchens regarded the boy as more of a patient than a pupil. Teacher or healer, he guessed he was both. But was he a good teacher and healer? He hoped so; he felt he had to be.

John showed no interest in the class discussions that day, concentrating on the landscape that had slowly evolved through the conference room windows.

Ethan noticed the change in the scene. While still sunny, the weather appeared unsettled. There were still storm clouds hovering in the distance. Was the window mimicking Johns's emotions? Was he anxious? Ethan wasn't sure, but he shared John's apprehension. This was going to be something new for both of them.

The Tour

The hour over, John stood, but instead of abruptly exiting, he turned to Ethan and said, "Follow me."

Ethan looked to his teacher, who nodded encouraging, and picking up his backpack, followed the boy out of the conference room and down the hallway.

John led the way. As he passed through the doorway leading to the lobby, he vanished.

Ethan stopped walking and surveyed his surroundings in a mild daze. Had John invented teleportation? He wouldn't be surprised. Suddenly, out of nowhere, a hand grabs Ethan's shirt. The arm seems suspended bodyless in thin air. John's head and shoulders appeared, and calmly, in his typically flat expressionless voice, explained. "This is part of the facility security. There is a field that only I and now you can pass through. It looks and acts like the surrounding structures". Ethan realized that this solved the mystery of John's rapid appearances and disappearances. "Several of them spread around the complex. I will point them out to you as we approach them".

Ethan followed John through the field. It was like passing through a thin milk curtain, only he wasn't wet on the other side. They proceeded down a short corridor to a secure door which slid open upon their approach. From there, they descended on an escalator to an awaiting single-car train. Once seated and without instructions, the car proceeded down a tunnel, picking up speed. After a few minutes, the tram slowed and stopped beside another large, heavy metal door. This door also slid open, revealing an enormous warehouse-like structure the size of two football fields. The ceiling was thirty feet high and divided into walled-off cubicles. Ethan estimated the cubicle walls to be eight to ten feet tall and the cubicles to measure approximately fifty feet by fifty feet. He could hear sounds coming from some of the cubicles and wondered if technicians were working on projects. Along the back wall of the structure were floor-to-ceiling shelves, cabinets, and what appeared to be various industrial-style appliances. A few driverless vehicles were transporting different materials from the wall to the cubicles and from cubicle to cubicle.

As if reading his mind, John abruptly stated, "This is my workshop. I have several projects and sub-projects in process at this time. We are alone. AI entities manage the projects per my instruction. Would you like to see some of them?"

"Sure," said Ethan.

John led Ethan to the second cubicle. Inside was a work table, dwarfed by the size of the space, with only what appeared to Ethan to be a small car remote on it. They approached the table, and John flatly stated, "This is new. It is a universal power supply."

"That's cool," replied Ethan. "How does it work?"

"Simple." John picked up the device and said, "You push the button." Ethan smiled. John, realizing Ethan was looking for a more detailed explanation, continued. "The device itself can generate almost limitless power at almost limitless strength. I've developed safeguards to prevent dangerous usage. Upon manufacturing, the devices are limited to designated applications. There are nearly infinite ways the power can be transmitted. It's very adaptable."

"Wow, that's impressive. Where does the power come from?"

John gave Ethan a strange look, then realized that Ethan had no frame of reference for what he was talking about. This was new for him. He was considering someone else's perspective. Pleased at the discovery of this new personal interaction skill, he continued.

"The device is self-contained. It generates power through dimensional phasing."

Ethan looked at John questioningly.

"It is not in the physics books yet, but it works. This unit powers the compound, but it could power the planet," John flatly stated.

Looking at the tiny remote in John's hand, Ethan realized that he would discard an absurd statement like this in any other situation, but it came from John, and he knew it was true.

"Would you like to see something else?"

"Of course," said Ethan.

They entered a double cubicle. Robot-looking machines were working on a rectangular box about the size of a large shipping container.

"This is a spacecraft. Actually, it is not limited to space; it will operate anywhere. It is due to be completed in nineteen days. It allows almost instantaneous travel. I am reluctant to release this product. I am considering limiting the range. There are some things humans are not ready for and some that are not ready for humans".

Ethan wondered what John knew about the universe. This statement suggested that 'we are not alone.'

"There is one more thing I want to show you."

They entered one of the cubes closest to the utility wall.

A mat was on the floor facing a thin rectangular panel hanging from a tripod.

"This is the latest version of the molecular analyzer. There are some enhancements that no one knows about. You will be the first".

Ethan was honored. He could feel a bond developing between the two of them. It felt good.

"This version can analyze and graphically display something in every living organism beyond its molecular makeup."

"What's that?"

"Your philosophers and theologians would call it the soul."

Ethan questioned, "The soul? I thought that was something spiritual and not part of the real world?"

"It's real. Would you like to try it?".

Ethan nervously accented.

John directed Ethan to the mat. As soon as he stepped on the mat, a gray and black image appeared on the screen mimicking the shape of Ethan.

"This is your molecular essence. It's just a representation, but all the data is there. Now for the enhancement."

On the screen, a blue haze appeared over and around the gray and black image, more apparent around his head but visible throughout his body.

"The blue is your 'soul'."

Ethan took it in. He was slightly breathless. He didn't understand all the implications, but he was sure he was observing something profound.

"I don't know what to think. I've never been religious, but I know this is important".

"I do not know about the religious implications for you. What I am showing you is part of you."

Ethan nodded. "Can I see your soul?”

John switched places with Ethan. First, a gray and black image, then a blue haze appeared on the screen… then green.

"What's the green?" asked Ethan.

In his typical flat, expressionless voice, John factually stated. "It is something else. I have a blue and a green soul".

"Blue and green?"

"I can access all the scans performed on the molecular identification machines. There are over six billion scans. No other organism has a 'green' soul."

Ethan pondered this. John was unique in many ways. It seemed one of the ways he was unique was his soul. 'What would it be like to be so fundamentally different from everyone else on the planet.'

"What does it mean?"

"It means … I am not wholly human."

Ethan was shocked. 'What was John telling him? Did John Christian Anderson have a mutant soul besides his human soul? Or … was he part extraterrestrial? Or an Arthur C. Clarke kind of evolutionary transcendence?'

John picked up on Ethan's ponderings. "I do not know where my green soul comes from, although I have strong suspicions. I knew I was different at an early age. I invented this machine to explore the origins of my uniqueness."

There was a thoughtful minute of silence from both of them.

"Do you want to go to my private apartments?" John nervously asked.

"Yeah," Ethan replied.

The two teens had never been alone together. Following John to the tram, Ethan was confused and uncertain. This person was the most important being in the world. He accomplished more in fourteen years than the most brilliant mind could in a hundred lifetimes. His accomplishments completely transformed the planet, and it looked like there was plenty more to come. Why was John wasting his time with him? In a way, he wished John wasn't so exceptional. He was getting to like him but knew John was probably already growing tired of him.

Before meeting Ethan, John didn't care what people thought about him. He didn't think about people very much at all. John had shared more of himself with Ethan than anyone else in his life, and for the first time, he felt vulnerable and was strangely happy about it. The point of the workshop tour was to show Ethan his additional soul. What Ethan thought about him was suddenly very important, and he wanted him to know everything about him. John knew he was strange, but he wanted Ethan to like him anyway. He thought, 'Why would someone as special as Ethan want to be friends with an aberration like me.'

The tram descended further underground. Ethan imagined they were several hundred feet underground at this point. He wasn't particularly bathophobic, but this situation was unsettling.

The tram slowed in front of another vast metal door after a few minutes. The entrance reminded Ethan of an old-fashioned bank vault, only larger. He realized this must be the most fortified place on earth.

 

Ethan was apprehensive. What would be behind this door after all the wonders he had seen over the past week? This was the epicenter, the place where John lived and slept. What would this space reveal about the most important person on the planet?

The door opened. It wasn't a large room. Ethan observed beige, wall-to-wall, carpeting, and off-white painted walls. A few pieces of utilitarian furniture were scattered around the space. A smallish table with a single chair sat in one corner. This was evidently where John took his meals…alone. Next to the table was a modern version of a dumb waiter. John didn't even have a real person deliver his food. Ethan experienced a deep sense of sadness. This exceptional boy was so alone. Fighting off his melancholy, he follows John into the room. There was an awkward and heavy silence that hung over them.

"This is my apartment. The bedroom is through that door, and the bathroom is over there. There is another bathroom off the bedroom. I know the rooms are dreary, but they suit my purposes. I can change them to any style you like. The room dimensions need to stay the same for now, but other than that, we can do anything we want with it. Given a few days, we can also change the size and configuration of the rooms."

With his best quirky/jokey voice, Ethan smiled and said, "It can use a little work. Let's get rid of the carpet and add some hardwood floors." As if by magic, the floor transformed.

"Like that?" said John.

The changes were realistic renderings, but robotic machines delivered and installed the real thing within an hour. Ethan assumed the objects were manufactured in some way in John's workshop.

"Perfect, now let's add some tasteful carpets and comfy contemporary furniture."

Within minutes, the two boys laughed and giggled as they transformed the room. The funniest part was when one or the other got it completely wrong, either by accident or on purpose, and the other would groan and make fun of their choices.

They were both having fun in a silly early teens sort of way. This was entirely new for John. He was having the time of his life. Ethan was having fun, too, but experienced more joy from observing his new friend's pleasure. It was good being boys just fooling around.

Before long, they were both hungry, and they ordered food. The dumbwaiter chimed, and they sat down to eat.

John reverted to his usual intense persona, but not completely. He still stared at Ethan, but there was something besides the deep analytical probing. Was it appreciation or even affection? Ethan didn't know. Maybe he was imagining it.

The two teens decided to play a video game after dinner. John suggested an old version of Minecraft, apparently remembering Ethan's story about meeting Kobe. Although primitive compared to the recently released games, they both had a great time playing together.

After completing a game, John sheepishly turned to Ethan and said, "Do you want to go to bed? We can play some more from the bedroom."

"Yeah, that sounds good."

"You can use the bathroom to change, I will get ready in the bedroom."

Ethan grabbed his backpack and headed to the bathroom. He cleaned up, brushed his teeth, and changed into a clean pair of boxer briefs and a tee shirt.

Entering the bedroom, Ethan saw John reclining on one of the twin beds. He was wearing an old-fashioned pair of pajamas with matching tops and bottoms.

 

John looked up with a questioning expression. "Why are you wearing your underwear?"

"That's the way I always sleep," answered Ethan.

John shrugged. "You want to play Grand Theft Auto".

Ethan joked, "I guess I'm old enough to play it, but are you?"

John momentarily grew serious, but then, getting the joke, he laughed freely, joined by a smiling Ethan. They were having fun just like any other two boys at a sleepover.

Ethan plopped down on the other twin bed, and they started to play. After a couple of games, Ethan suggested they watch television.

Broadcast television wasn't very popular with younger people anymore, but it still existed. Ethan sometimes liked the randomness of watching what was on. A screen appeared in front of the beds, and they started switching channels. There wasn't much of interest. Ethan suggested a channel that broadcasts classic old movies. "They can be fun. Do you want to try it?" John agreed. They switched to the channel and luckily caught nearly the beginning of a classic 1950s Syfy movie called 'The Day the Earth Stood Still.' They both laid back, watched the movie, and enjoyed the silent companionship.

Eventually, both droopy-eyed, they decided to call it a night and doused the lights. They slept soundly.

The next morning, John was abruptly brought to consciousness by a pillow smashing into his face. Nothing like that had ever happened to him, and it took him a few moments to orient himself. He picked up his pillow and flung it at Ethan. This started a pillow fight that evolved into a good-natured wrestling match. They were laughing, shouting playful taunts, and enjoying the roughhousing.

This was entirely new for John. He hadn't come in physical contact with another human since he was a little boy. It was strange touching someone and being touched back, but he liked it. He felt a little less alone.

Ethan and his friends rarely wrestled these days. They were growing up, and Ethan missed the physical closeness. He was enjoying grappling with John, but after a couple of minutes of wrestling, he suddenly realized he was starting to get hard. Nothing obvious yet, but he knew he needed to stop before John noticed and considered him a total pervert. This had never happened to him while wrestling before.

They cleaned up, dressed, and ate a light breakfast. Ethan had a large cup of cappuccino.

 

The Excursion

John asked Ethan, "Do you want to explore the forest?".

"Yeah, can you leave the compound?"

"I know more about this place than anyone else. Follow me"

They headed to the tram. Once seated, John stated, "Transport override. Proceed to the end of the track."

The train continued down the tunnel. The tram passed through another large door that had just finished opening and then through one of John's milky security films. After a while, the tram slowed, and the doors opened. There was no platform, and they had to climb off the train. They walked ten to twenty yards past the end of the tracks to another metal door. Upon entering, Ethan realized this looked like a pretty standard elevator. They rose gradually, picking up speed until they finally stopped at the entrance to a cave. It wasn't a large cave, but the two could comfortably walk side by side. They passed through another milky barrier, and they were in the woods.

"This place is a little strange, but it's interesting. It's called 'The Grove', and older people come here on retreat. They have some unusual rituals."

"Really," replied Ethan. "Do you think we'll see any of them?"

"From what I can tell, something big is scheduled for this afternoon. We have to be careful. There is never anyone our age in The Grove.

The boys continued down the path. They skirted around some rustic-looking cabins with strange-looking statues and symbols stuck on them. They could hear chanting in the distance.

They carefully crept up to the source of the chanting. Staying hidden in the trees, they observed a stage perched at the base of a cliff. A demonic creature was carved into the cliff. About a hundred middle-aged men were facing the cliff dressed in various strange costumes, chanting to the idol.

This was the oddest thing Ethan had ever seen. Who were these strange people?

Suddenly, they heard rustling behind them. Three grown men in funny outfits grabbed them. Ethan could have broken free and easily outrun these middle-aged pursuers, but John just stood there and calmly stared at the men. Ethan couldn't abandon his new friend. The strangely clad men escorted them to the main cabin and locked them in a supply closet.

After a while, two older men, dressed normally, opened the supply closet door and began interrogating them. "Who are you, and how did you get here?"

Ethan said, "I'm Ethan Edwards, and I don't know how to explain how we got here."

Not satisfied with the answer, they turned to John and asked the same question.

"My name is John Christian Anderson and we came here through a tunnel from the Compound".

The men fell silent. They closed and locked the closet door and hurried off.

Within a few minutes, the boys heard a commotion approaching the closet, and the door burst open.

Six men were standing at the open doorway, staring at them. They were staring more at John than Ethan. Some of the men looked familiar to Ethan. He was sure one of them was a governor or a senator.

The governor/senator informed them that the FBI had been alerted and should arrive from San Francisco within the hour.

Turning to John, "In the meantime, we'll move you to somewhere more comfortable where you can contact someone from your compound?"

"Yes", was John's only response.

Addressing Ethan, "You will stay locked up until the authorities arrive."

"Then I will stay here too," John flatly stated.

Ethan and John were sitting in comfortable rough hune chairs off the front room of the lodge when they heard the helicopters. At the same time a motorcade from the compound arrived.

Despite John and Ethan's vociferous objections, security whisked John into one of the waiting Compound military vehicles, and Ethan was handcuffed and forced into one of the FBI helicopters.

Ethan was in a requisitioned office at the Napa County Airport within minutes. Soon after, the FBI escorted his parents into the office. His mother rushed to him and embraced him tightly. His father joined them in the embrace. Before they could hash things out, one of the FBI agents interrupted them.

"We have a video conference with representatives of The John Christian Anderson Institute and Ethan's teacher, Robert Kitchens."

"What about John?" asked Ethan. "Will John be on the call?"

"Mr. Anderson will not be on the call."

The agent activated something on his phone, and Mr. Kitchens and, two women and a man appeared in the room.

One of the women began. "My name is Janet Garland. I think you all know Mr. Kitchens. I am the Secretary of Intellectual Assets, and these are my assistant secretaries."

A year ago, the US government created a new cabinet post. The Secretary of Intellectual Assets ran the department. It was created to manage John Christian Anderson. He was the 'intellectual asset.'

She continued, "I'm sure it is obvious to everyone that the last day's events are unacceptable. Unfortunately, as much as we've tried, Mr. Anderson prevents us from monitoring his activities, and this is one of the results.

Mr. Kitchens, many of us felt it a mistake to allow you access to the asset, and we were even more reticent to introduce this boy," looking down at her notes to find his name, "Ethan Edwards, to the project. We hope you haven't caused any permanent damage."

Ethan couldn't believe what he was hearing. They don't even consider John a human. To them, he's just an asset. Little did they know.

The secretary continued, "Mr. Kitchens, your services are no longer required at the institute. Your contract will be bought out, and additional compensation will be provided with legal assurances from you that you won't divulge anything about the institute or John Christian Anderson to anyone or anything.

Mr. Ethan Edwards, likewise, your services are no longer needed. We offer you a very generous compensation with the assurance that you will also not divulge anything about the institute or John Christian Anderson to anyone or anything. Additionally, you are not to attempt to contact Mr. Anderson or accept his communications."

Ethan shouted, "I won't do it, he's my friend!". Ethan's parents patted his shoulders and back until he settled down.

"I think you're making a serious mistake," Interjected Mr. Kitchens. "John has made remarkable emotional progress over the last week. I credit that to his interactions with Ethan. John may interpret an abrupt separation from Ethan as rejection. It could be devastating to the boy."

"Mr. Kitchens, as of today, you are not associated with the institute. Your opinions are no longer appreciated or valued. If there are any breaches of this agreement, the compensation will be void, and the government will seek criminal redress. Congress has allowed this agency special prosecutorial powers, and I can assure you we will use them."

With that, the meeting was over. Ethan returned with his parent to their home. Nothing needed to be said. He went to his room and eventually fell asleep.

Sunday came and went. Ethan had no energy or interest in doing anything but sitting in his room. Monday morning, Ethan woke excited to go to the compound with Mr. K. to see John until he remembered he would never see John again. He turned over and fell back into a restless sleep.

At the Compound

John was angry. How could they treat the only friend he'd ever had that way? And Ethan was such a special friend. He was frightened that this incident might scare Ethan off. He blamed himself for suggesting the expedition to The Grove. Somehow, he needed to make it up to Ethan Monday morning.

The rest of the weekend, he was distracted but still able to make some progress on a few projects. Monday morning, he arrived early to the conference room. He was eager to make things right between Ethan and himself. The clock ticked down, and no one showed up. At 9:10, he knew they weren't coming. Looking up to the conference room windows, he saw the severe view. It was fire. The landscape was ablaze, and soon, there would be Nothing left.

John didn't believe Ethan and Mr. Kitchens had abandoned him. Speaking to the room, "schedule a video meeting with the full board of the institute for eleven a.m. today. Attendance is mandatory."

John had never demanded anything from the institute before. The members knew there might be some trouble. He was just a boy … wasn't he?

At eleven, the board, including the secretary, Janet Garland, visualized in the conference room. John, sitting in his usual place, was visible to them. He appeared particularly intense, with his eyes boring into each of them.

Assuming an almost jovial tone, the secretary began, "It's so nice to be meeting with you, John. What can we …"

Interrupting, John spoke in a firm voice, "Where are Ethan and Mr. Kitchens?"

Flustered, the secretary responded. "We…uh…thought they…uh…uh…they were a distraction to you and it would be better uh…for you…if they didn't bother you anymore.

John's demeanor grew in intensity if that was even possible. His eyes seemed to glow. The meeting attendees were taken aback. Some of them cowered away from John's image.

"I want them back tomorrow!"

"I'm afraid we can't do that, Mr Anderson," the secretary usually called him John. This was a symptom of her agitation.

John peered at them a few seconds longer and discontinued the meeting.

During the debrief, the secretary assured the rest of the board that John was going through puberty and he would have days like this. "I'm sure he'll be fine tomorrow."

A New Day

Ethan ate a little dinner Monday night and then returned to his room. His parents were concerned but decided giving him time to recover was better. He checked his Instagram, watched a few YouTube videos, and went to bed.

Early the following day, he awoke to his mother rigorously shaking him. "You need to see this," she said.

Pulling himself together, he made his way to the kitchen. On the television was a 'special alert' news special. It was the same on all the channels.

From what Ethan could tell, there were massive disruptions worldwide. Non-vital power transmission had ceased, and less crucial water desalination plants were no longer functioning. With the exception of critical medical applications, 3D projection was no longer operational. Everything from teleconferencing to video games to immersive entertainment stopped working.

It didn't take Ethan long to recognize the source of the disruptions. 'Kinda like 'The Day The Earth Stood Still,' he thought.' He couldn't help smiling to himself.

And then he heard multiple sirens getting louder and louder as they approached his house. He would be seeing John soon!

Comments are welcome.
Copyright © 2017 paren01; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 10
  • Haha 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Why do I want to say....It is not nice to be mean to Mother Nature? He is THE force of nature on the planet.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Glad that you're back after a long absence. I look forward to reading the continuation of your tale. You've got a wonderful premise for a good story.

 

  • Like 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

I said the ‘window’ seemed to reflect John’s emotional state.  Here’s further proof.

That ‘secretary’ obviously doesn’t know how to deal with actual people or children.  She was very condescending. Well, look who’s going to be the underdog now!

John is a quick study.  He remembered the movie and the effect that the power stoppage had on the world.  He is fully aware of his value and that he can write his own ticket for whatever he wants, and he wants his friends.  Ethan and Mr. Kitchens had better be flown to the Compound pronto!  They had better be given a lifetime contract to be with John, also!

Well, I certainly hope you will be continuing this story more quickly than you have in the past. You have now gotten to a very interesting point and we would like to see what happens next.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Great Story. Glad you picked it back up. It looks like it could be the beginning of an interesting friendship.  Curious about what the green soul represents.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Ok, so the soul color corresponds to the planet’s color. Earth being blue, and the green planet in the other galaxy. So the question is the green soul trying to build the tech to get back to the green planet or bring the beings from that planet to earth?  Interesting premise, looking forward to where it leads.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Although I would love to read more about JCA and Ethan I knew this was marked ‘complete’ when I started reading it. At no point did I expect this to end with a laugh but, for me, it did.

A teen boy is a teen boy and young John is having a tantrum felt around the world! Good for him.

An imaginative and enjoyable read. Thank you!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
57 minutes ago, Dan South said:

Although I would love to read more about JCA and Ethan I knew this was marked ‘complete’ when I started reading it. At no point did I expect this to end with a laugh but, for me, it did.

A teen boy is a teen boy and young John is having a tantrum felt around the world! Good for him.

An imaginative and enjoyable read. Thank you!

Thank you for the comment. I do have an outline for more chapters that involve an inevitable tone change. I might write a part 2 some day. Thanks again

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
On 5/15/2023 at 9:40 AM, paren01 said:

Thank you for the comment. I do have an outline for more chapters that involve an inevitable tone change. I might write a part 2 some day. Thanks again

@paren01, I only recently found this story. It’s complexity wrapped in simplicity and is quite intriguing in many aspects. There was lots of “we” in the initial decorating conversation; can John gift green? What will the micro-biology indicate of lifespan for John; aging slows at puberty? Cell replacement doesn’t slow as growth matures? ET phone home? So many twist beyond the implications of John’s influence on earth 🌎.

Yes please continue your world of JCA…Ethan; and their mentor Mr K??

Edited by Philippe
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Philippe said:

@paren01, I only recently found this story. It’s complexity wrapped in simplicity and is quite intriguing in many aspects. There was lots of “we” in the initial decorating conversation; can John gift green? What will the micro-biology indicate of lifespan for John; aging slows at puberty? Cell replacement doesn’t slow as growth matures? ET phone home? So many twist beyond the implications of John’s influence on earth 🌎.

Yes please continue your world of JCA…Ethan; and their mentor Mr K??

Thanks for the comment. I have part 2 loosely outlined, but I’m afraid the tone change may not please all the readers.

  • Like 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..