Jump to content
    Parker Owens
  • Author
  • 208 Words
  • 1,099 Views
  • 6 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Birds - 6. Vireos and the Carolina Wren

More summer birds I hear in the yard and garden. There are fewer of them this year, perhaps. I wonder about this.

Vireos

The vireo, or preacher-bird,

is far less often seen than heard;

he sings quite near the topmost limb,

repeating phrases word for word.

 

Perhaps you’ll get a glimpse of him,

all dressed in green and somewhat slim,

prepared to sermonize all day

and chant the evening vesper hymn.

 

The feathered cleric oft will pray

for caterpillars to fillet;

his homilies cease not for lunch,

siesta time or holiday.

 

He only quiets down a bunch

when footsteps nearing sound a crunch,

though when to romance he is spurred

he might fall silent – that’s a hunch.

 

 

Carolina Wren

The Carolina Wren is small,

but no ear can evade its call

resounding through the wood and vale

from spring until the end of fall.

 

You recognize it by its tail

stuck up at angles without fail,

by cinnamon and gold attire,

and stripes which o’er its eyes prevail.

 

His diet farmers must admire:

it’s bugs and beetles he’ll desire,

or spiders brown which crawl and creep,

and moths drawn closer to the fire.

 

From brilliant dawn to sunset’s sweep

he sings “sweet Germany” to keep

his mate close by with whom he’ll sprawl

within his nest when fast asleep.

If you feel like adding a comment or suggesting other birds, please do. I enjoy every response.
Copyright © 2018 Parker Owens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, Headstall said:

Wonderful... and educational too. :D  You do these feathered friends justice, Parker. :) 

These are two great woodland friends. Videos leave for the south early, but Carolina Wrens stay as long as there is food. Thanks for reading these, and for your comments.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

These are delightful. You had be chuckling about just when the preacher bird might shut his yap ;)

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I’ve spent long hours in the garden listening to the vireo rehearse. It’s a lovely accompaniment to a summer morning. 

9 hours ago, AC Benus said:

These are delightful. You had be chuckling about just when the preacher bird might shut his yap ;)

 

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

These birds are your companions; to me, they're exotic and unknown. Yet your wonderful descriptions, far removed from textbook aridity, make them for a moment also my companions. Thank you.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
20 hours ago, northie said:

These birds are your companions; to me, they're exotic and unknown. Yet your wonderful descriptions, far removed from textbook aridity, make them for a moment also my companions. Thank you.

I’m very glad these open a window on the North American birds for you. The Carolina Wren is actually singing in the woods not far away right now. Thanks so much for reading and considering these. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..