Jump to content
    pDaisy
  • Author
  • 3,841 Words
  • 1,359 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Grain in the Sands of Time - 7. Going Home

Matt woke to the sunshine outside. He squinted, but kept his face in the warmth as he came to his senses. As always he thought of his mother and offered a quick prayer. He wondered where Andrew was, but didn’t wonder too long as he heard him banging around the kitchen. He laid back in his bed with his hands behind his head and just listened to Andrew moving around in his apartment. He loved it. He loved the sounds that Andrew made, he loved the banging of pans and the sound of the fridge opening and closing, he loved the gentle slap of his feet along the marble floor in the kitchen. He dozed off again and was wakened by Andrew leaning over him and kissing him tenderly on the mouth.

He smiled, and licked his lips when Andrew parted from him. “Mmmm… I like waking up like that.”

Andrew’s face beamed back at him, “Well keep looking as cute as you do now, and I may keep cooking breakfast for you.”

“Breakfast? I love breakfast. What are we having?”

“Poached eggs, bacon, toast, fresh orange juice and Earl Grey tea. I figured since I couldn’t find any coffee in the cupboards that you would be fine with tea.”

“Tea’s good. In fact it’s great.” Matt smiled up at Andrew who returned his giddy grin.

“Okay, you get up. Breakfast will be on the table in 5 minutes.” And with that, Andrew ran from Matt’s bedroom and back to the kitchen where Matt could hear him taking plates out of the cupboard.

He got out of bed and quickly relieved himself and brushed his teeth. Walking into the kitchen Matt was stunned by what he saw. Andrew had a full spread of breakfast laid out on an immaculately set table. Matt couldn’t ever remember using the table in the kitchen before, even though he had been living in the apartment for almost three years. Andrew had used black chargers, with large white plates as his base for two perfectly round, fluffy, steaming, poached eggs, three strips of crispy bacon were nestled against them, and four small triangles of toast were resting on the side of the plate. A small ramekin of raspberry jam sat delicately beside each of the plates. The orange juice was served in a large red wine glass, and the tea sat steaming in its cup beside the juice. The cutlery was wrapped inside white napkins, held together in a small bundle by the gold napkin rings that he remembered he bought while he was in Australia many years ago.

His mouth open, he looked at Andrew in amazement. “How did you do this? Was this all in my apartment?”

“Yes, silly. Well not the food, I had to go out for that, but haven’t you seen your own stuff before?”

“Remember on our date, I told you that I hadn’t actually cooked in my own kitchen before? Well I wasn’t lying.”

“Well, now you can enjoy a meal in your own home. Sit down and eat.”

Matt sat obediently and continued to stare in awe at Andrew while he ate his breakfast. “Andrew you have to open a restaurant or something, this food is incredible!”

“It’s just eggs and bacon Matt, but you have a nice setting in which to eat so you enjoy your meal even more. I always imagined myself eating breakfast in a small bistro in Paris, and even though I would only order a fruit salad and a toasted bagel with herbed cream cheese, sprinkled with chives, I would savor every bite watching the people go about their business. Walking into the bakery to pick up their bread, strolling past the shops of beautiful clothes, and standing on the corner smoking a cigarette with a friend chatting about the week, or sitting in the park and feeding the ducks.”

“You are a real romantic aren’t you Andrew?” Andrew blushed furiously and returned to his meal. “Have you ever been to France?” Matt asked.

“One day maybe, but the finances of those of us that work at Harris’ doesn’t make going to France very possible.” He looked down at his plate and sighed. “Oh well, what do they have in France that they don't have here, hm?”

“Well they have the Eiffel Tower. We don't have that here.”

Andrew looked at Matt with a cocked eyebrow and a questioning stare.

“Oh shit, we do don’t we! I forgot we were in Vegas.” Matt and Andrew laughed together.

They finished eating without saying much more, just enjoying each other’s company and Matt’s comments on how great everything tasted. When they were done, they cleaned up together and Matt turned to Andrew.

“Since I can’t cook, I have only one thing to offer you in return for a fabulous meal.” He took Andrew by the hand and led him into the living room where he sat him on the couch and told him to wait.

Matt went quickly to his room, grabbed his guitar, returned to Andrew and sat beside him on the couch.

“What kind of song would you like to hear?”

Andrew smiled and considered. “hmmm… a love song.” He said coyly.

Matt smiled back at him, “this should be easy.”

Matt began picking at the strings of his acoustic guitar effortlessly.

Every now and then I see a part of you I've never seen
Birds can swim and fish can fly
The road is long
No wonder why

One of these days you'll realize
What you mean to me
Ohh-hh, every now and then I see a part of you I've never seen

Every now and then I try to tell you just how I feel
Heavens talk, the rain begins, the sky turns black
Nobody wins
Well, I try to talk but I can't
My soul has turned to steel
This happens every now and then when I try to tell you just how I feel

So if you ever love somebody
You gotta' keep them close
When you lose grip of their body
You'll be falling
'Cause I'm falling
Deeper in love, in love
Deeper in love, in love
Deeper in love, in love

Deeper in love, in love

In love.

 

“Matt, that was beautiful. Where did the song come from?” Andrew was on the verge of tears listening to Matt’s voice and the feeling that the words brought forth.

Matt smiled. “A young guy named Ryan O’Shaughnessy. It’s called No Name and was inspired by a girl he was in love with. He went on national TV and took the chance to sing it for her in a talent competition.”

“Did he get the girl?” Andrew asked hoping.

“I don’t know, but I’m hoping that getting the one of your dreams is destined for everyone.” He looked at Andrew seriously.

“What are we doing here Matt? Every second we’re together I feel closer to you, but I’ve only known you for five days, and I find out that you have been alive for 12 thousand years, your brother is Death, your dad is Time, your mother is the Sun, and you’re about to give it all up for a chance to be my boyfriend. Is this really what you want Matt, ‘cause I can’t be the one mistake you make.”

“Andrew I have made many mistakes in my time, but wanting you to be my boyfriend is not one of them.” They kissed and Matt put down his guitar. He felt like he needed a change of scenery. “You up for a little adventure?”

“What have you got in mind?” Andrew wiggled his eyebrows telling Matt exactly what he thought of adventure.

“Not that kind of adventure. Well… maybe when we get back. But for now, let me make a quick phone call.” He ran back into his bedroom.

“Leaving me out here, while you’re in the bedroom is not what I was expecting Matt!”

Matt chuckled in his room and dug out his cell phone. He hit the speed dial number and it put him through instantly. “Hey Michael it’s Matt … I’m good thanks … Listen, I know it’s a bit of a rush, but I need someone at the mall in 20 minutes, can that happen? … Great … I’ll see you soon.”

He ran back out to the living room. “Get ready, we leave in fifteen minutes.”

“Matt, I’m not even ready! I haven’t showered.”

“Fifteen minutes,” Matt shouted as he disappeared out of his front door and down the hallway. He ran to the end of the hall and opened the door to the storage room. He grabbed his hiking pack and sprinted back down the hall to his apartment.

“You ready?” He called out to Andrew who was nowhere in sight.

“I’m brushing my teeth!” Andrew called from the bathroom.

“Hurry up!” Matt went to the pantry and dug out some granola, energy bars, and some Gatorade. He grabbed some crackers, and the cheese from the fridge, stuck it all in his pack. He then went back to his bedroom and met Andrew coming out of the bathroom. He kissed him quickly and went to his night table, opened the drawer and took out his pocketknife which he threw in the pack as well before zipping it all up.

“You ready?” He turned to Andrew and asked.

“Ready for what,” Andrew asked cautiously. “You’re not gonna skin anything with that knife are you?”

Matt chuckled, “No, it’s for the cheese. Come on lets get going.” Matt grabbed Andrew’s hand and dragged him to the front door to put their shoes on.

“Matt if we’re gonna be out for lunch I should get different shoes!” Andrew whined.

“Andrew, your shoes are fine, just relax and put them on.”

Andrew harrumphed, but put his shoes on and looked at Matt expectantly. “Well?”

“Let’s go,” he grabbed Andrew’s hand again and led him out the door and to the elevator.

“You’re not going to tell me where we’re going are you?” Andrew asked Matt in the elevator.

“Nope. But it’s not far.”

The elevator opened and hand in hand Andrew and Matt ignored the looks by some and headed out the front door of the hotel.

“Morning Mr. Matt,” Carl greeted him, “you’ll be wanting a vehicle sir?”

“Not today, thanks Carl. But I want you to meet Andrew,” he pulled Andrew up next to him. “He’ll be around more often. Andrew this is Carl. Carl takes care of my vehicles, and does a damn good job too, I might add.”

“Andrew extended his hand, “Nice to meet you Carl.”

“Nice to meet you too, Mr. Andrew. I hope your gonna straighten out Mr. Matt here, he needs a good man in his life to settle down with.”

“Carl, are you saying I whore around?” Matt pretended to be offended.

“Oh I’d never say such a thing about you Mr. Matt,” Carl feigned innocence and walked toward a car that had pulled up in the driveway. “You two gentleman enjoy the day, it’s suppose to be a hot one!” He accepted the keys from the driver of the vehicle and waved to them as he got in and closed the door.

“I think I’ve just been snubbed by Carl!” Matt said with dismay.

“I like him!” Andrew smiled at Matt. “So where are we off to for our adventure?”

“Ah yes, the mall.” Matt grabbed Andrew by the hand again and pulled him along to cross the street, heading toward the Fashion Mall.

“Are you kidding me!” Andrew’s voice raised several octaves. “Your big adventure is going to the mall!”

“Do you trust me?” Matt asked Andrew.

“Oh Matt! Okay, okay, I trust you, lead on.”

Matt grinned and pulled Andrew into the mall. Matt hated the mall, as much as it appeared Andrew did, but he didn’t need to be here for long. Just inside the main doors, he found the small metal door that led to the concrete stairs he knew were there. The led both down to the parkade, as well as up to the roof. Matt went up. After several storeys they emerged out the door to the mall rooftop.

Andrew gasped when he saw the red and black chopper in sky coming down to sit on the large concrete pad with an “H” in the center. He looked at Matt who only smiled and waited. The wind and noise made any communication impossible and when the helicopter finally settled on the pad, the pilot quickly jumped out and ran toward them.

“Hey Boss, good to see you, it’s been a while!” the pilot yelled and shook hands with Matt.

“Thanks for being available on such short notice Michael, I hope I didn’t take you away from anything important. This is Andrew, he’ll be with us for the duration.”

Michael took up Andrew’s hand and shook it vigorously. “Nice to meet you Andrew, you guys ready?”

Andrew looked at Matt with growing hesitation, and Matt laughed. “Yup!”

“Okay, give me your pack Matt and hop in. I’ll store it in the back.” Michael took the bag from Matt and they followed him out to the chopper, it’s blades still spinning quickly.

Ducking down they climbed in the cabin of the helicopter and Matt helped Andrew get settled in the seat and secured him in the seat harness. He motioned to the headset that was hanging beside Andrew and indicated he should put it on. Andrew complied and Matt did the same with his set. As Michael was getting settled in the pilot’s seat and doing things neither Matt nor Andrew had any idea of, Matt turned to Andrew and spoke into his headset.

“You okay babe, you look a little green?”

“I’ve never been in one of these before Matt. I’m not gonna die am I?”

Matt laughed, “Of course not! Besides, my brother’s not here, he’s busy today, so you have nothing to worry about.” Matt grinned.

Andrew took small comfort from that and reached over to grab Matt’s hand. He hung on tight.

Michael’s voice came through the headset, “Okay Boss, where to?”

Andrew looked curiously to Matt waiting for his response. “Take us East over the canyon, and then on to Eagles Nest.”

“Roger that,” Michael brought the rotors up to full throttle and slowly lifted back on the joystick between his legs. The powerful chopper launched into the air and banked hard over the mall and surrounding city and Michael gave his customary “Yee haw” as he expertly guided his bird over Las Vegas. Matt and Andrew laughed and settled in as the cruised over the city and out toward Lake Mead.

“Michael, can you give Andrew and I a private channel please?”

“Sure thing Boss.” Michael pushed some buttons on the instrument panel in front of him and then gave them the thumbs up sign

“We can talk now, and Michael can’t hear us.” Matt told Andrew. “You see down there? That’s where our first date was.”

“Do you have more hot chocolate in that bag?” Andrew asked.

Matt laughed, “Not today, no, but where we’re going you can get anything you want to drink.”

“Remember when I said last night that I would have a lot of questions Matt?” Andrew sounded serious. Matt nodded. “Well my first one is why is Michael calling you ‘Boss’ and how is it that you arranged a helicopter to come and get us on the roof of the mall next to the hotel you live at?”

“Well… Michael works for me. And his job is to fly me around and get me to where I need to be sometimes. So when I call him, he jumps into this helicopter here, and comes to get me wherever I am.”

“Can I safely assume that you own this helicopter and it’s not a rental?” Andrew asked with some sarcasm in his voice.

Matt smiled, “Yes you can assume that.”

“And can I also assume that the ‘Eagles Nest’ is not a webcam, live streaming avian hatchings onto the Internet.

Matt laughed, “Ah yes, Eagles Nest is one of my homes, in fact it’s the one I love the most. It’s outside of Albuquerque.”

Andrew shook his head in wonder, “I have more questions Matt.”

“I know babe, hang on to them and I will answer them all, I promise. For now, just enjoy the view.” Matt put his arm around him as Andrew peered out of the window at down at the beginning of the long canyon that dominated the landscape below.

After thirty minutes of exploring the canyon, Matt indicated to Michael that they should land and Michael found a place on the edge of the canyon that was utterly deserted. Michael stayed in the chopper as Matt and Andrew explored the edge of the canyon and eventually sat with their legs hanging over the edge the cavern, both entertaining their own thoughts.

“It looks like you could walk across it in a few hours from up here.” Andrew said wonderingly. “Do you know how far it is across?”

“Here, about 10 miles, I’d say, maybe more.”

“Matt?”

“Ya?”

“Are you human?”

Matt looked at Andrew and saw no hint of humour. “Well, I’m not sure. I know that sounds a little strange, but I have always lived as a human, and yes I can do certain things and I have been reborn … a number of times. But for the most part, I’m human.”

“If I pushed you off this ledge, would you die?”

“Are you thinking of knocking me off?” Matt asked, and Andrew shrugged noncommittally. “Andrew!”

Andrew laughed, “Okay, okay, I’m not thinking of offing you, no. It just I don’t really know who I’m with right now. It's like finding out Clark Kent is Superman, you know?”

“You think I’m as sexy as Superman?”

Andrew groaned, “Well you think pretty much like any other man I have known. Really Matt, who are you?”

“I don’t know anymore Andrew. That’s why, before I met you, I decided to die. I have had thoughts over the last few centuries that I wanted to take my own life, but it never really seemed like a good option. So, I continued on, meeting my tasks one after the other, never knowing what they are until one day, it happens and I realize that I have accomplished what I was destined for and I die again.”

“Are you born into a family Matt, with regular brothers and sisters and everything?”

“Yes, when the need is there to accomplish something as a child, then we grow up just like everyone else, with parents and siblings. It makes it harder then, knowing that as a child when you die, so much heartache will be left behind, but I have no control over Time, and he pulls all of the strings.”

“You mean your father?”

“Yes. He knows what will happen, he sees all the possibilities, and when he wants to he pulls a thread this way or that to make something happen tomorrow or a decade from now.”

“Is he God?”

“The closest thing I will ever know to God.”

“Holy fuck, Matt.”

Matt laughed, “Ya, it’s a trip I know, I’ve had a long time to get used to it.”

“Do you remember it all? All the lifetimes?”

“Hm, I never really thought of it, but ya, I can remember the names and faces of my families. If I am needed as an adult, I just appear, with a consciousness that I have been reborn. All of my assets remain, as does my name, and I go about my business until my task is accomplished.”

“Sounds kind of boring to be honest.”

Matt considered for a moment before responding. “Yes, at times it is rather boring. And then, at other times, I run into a sexy guy at a store.”

“Are there other guys at other stores around the world?” Andrew put on a menacing tone.

“I promise no other guys at other stores. You’re the only one I have fallen in love with Andrew.

Andrew looked stunned. “What?”

Matt nodded. “In 12 thousand years, I have never been in love with anyone, but you. Not to put any pressure on you Andrew.” Matt finished with a smile.

“Oh ya, no pressure!” They both laughed.

“Well, wanna see Eagle’s Nest?”

“What I’m I going to see when I get there?”

“A lot of land, and a whole bunch of horses.”

“I love horses!”

“I love that you love horses.” Matt kissed Andrew passionately and then packed up his bag, got up and held his hand out to Andrew. They walked back to the chopper as the blades began beating the air furiously waiting for them to board.

They flew for another hour and a half after their stop on the canyon, and Andrew grew accustomed to the hum of the helicopter. He leaned into Matt resting his head on Matt’s shoulder. Matt could think of nothing better, but all too soon they arrived at Eagle’s Nest.

Michael flipped a switch on the console in front of him, "Almost home guys, make sure your buckled up please." Matt gave him the thumbs up sign and Michael made another adjustment to the numbers on one of the instrument panels. His voice crackled over the communications system, "Kirtland airforce, Kirtland airforce, this is Eagle 257, approaching from the southeast, currently at 2000 feet, be advised, we will be climbing to 5000 feet on a northeast trajectory."

A female voice answered over the com, "Eagle 257, this is Kirtland. Maintain projected course. This is a military no fly zone, you will be fired upon if you enter Kirtland airspace." The woman's voice was tense and made Andrew nervous.

"Kirtland airforce, this is Eagle 257, Roger that. Is that you Julie?"

"Eagle 257, Kirtland airforce, welcome back Michael," the voice had a decidedly calmer and friendlier tone than seconds before. "Be advised you have 2 birds approaching your six, maintain altitude."

Michael looked over his shoulder and saw the approaching jets as they fired past the chopper, their noisy wash dragging behind them. He banked further to the East and made his away around the Southeast airspace of Kirtland Air Force Base. Staying between the base and the Sandia Mountain Range, he flew straight to Eagle’s Nest situated on a vast track of mountainous land that lay north of Interstate 40 and South of the national park land.

Matt pointed down to the sprawling compound that was nestled on top of one of the lower peaks.

Andrew stared at it in wonder. “You own a mountain?” He said into the headset.

Matt and Michael both laughed, and Michael answered. “Mountains, Andrew, he owns mountains.”

Matt rolled his eyes and avoided Andrews look. “Take us home, Michael.”

“Sure thing, Boss,” and they descended into Matt's home, and also the North American headquarters of the Arcana.

Copyright © 2017 pDaisy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A most romantic chapter. I'm sure Andrew feels absolutely swept off his feet. It's

got to be as intimidating as it is beautiful. Now to meet more of the family...

I'd be overwhelmed, but Andrew is in love, and that trumps all.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..