Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Angel's Tears - 4. The Test

 
 

It would take me longer to walk to the studio than to drive my car but I decided I could spare the time. It’s not like I was in a hurry. Plus, I could use the exercise. I hadn't been out and about as much since I moved here. I felt lazy. Maybe I could find a gym after this meeting?

It was a cooler day today and it was an overcast sky. It's amazing what a little bit of cloud cover will do to the temperature. With the heat lowered I could feel my spirits rise. What an amazing feeling. I felt so light I could float away.

No! I have to snap to. I have a very important meeting today. I can't fly up with those clouds. My mind has to be ready, I have to be steel.

So I tore my eyes from the sky and put them to the ground. Putting one foot in front of the other I started walking. It wasn't far I suppose; but when your trying to focus on moving, it tends to take a bit longer to get someplace.

Finally I could see the old theatre down the street. The door was open and a big SUV was sitting out front on the street. It was a great, overdone thing with big tires, shiny rims and grill, pitch black windows, and an outrageous paint job. It was black with pink, blue, and purple flames dancing down the sides. It was far too big for this tiny town.

It was empty, but judging from the heat I could see coming off the hood in waves, it hadn't been empty for long. I wondered if it belonged to whoever had left the door open. Maybe it belonged to the Big Boss.

Well I would find out soon enough I suppose. In I go!

The place was in the same state of disrepair. With broken tables and burnt floors and walls, it looked quite dismal. However, where the light from the open door touched, I could somehow see hope. As if the sun were trying to heal the scars of the past. I could see the future in its light. And, the future was beautiful.

"Aiden?" I called out. It was hard to tell where he could be. The place was bound to have lots of different room that I had little chance in finding. I was about to call out again when he walked out of a small office to the right of the stage, most likely the changing room.

"There you are Phoenix! I was wondering when you would get here." He kept walking and soon enough he was in front of me, standing in the sunlight. "Okay, he's here. But don't look so nervous. He's actually a great guy. Don't get too worked up."

The sun must be playing tricks on me. I could see no flaws in his skin, not even a single open pore. He was perfect. An angel, if those exist.

"Dude, you don't look so hot," he said with a look of concern squarely on his face.

"That's okay, you look hot enough for the both of us." What is the blazes? Did I seriously just say that out loud? This could be bad.

"Its the building. Anything looks amazing compared to this shit hole."

Well that was a bullet averted. Luck was apparently on my side today. Let's see how far it will take me.

"Well let's go meet the Big Guy."

"Okay. But don't mention the hair," he said as he walked back toward the back rooms.

"What hair? What do you mean don't mention the hair?" His only response was to wave me on over his shoulder. Uh oh.

Well, I only had one choice, to put one foot in front of the other. Either it would lead me to a job, or a sheer cold rejection.

 

 

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

 

 

I was right on both accounts. It is now the make shift office and was once a large changing room. If you look closely you can still see where the mirror and vanity lights went. It changed over nicely though.

Sitting behind the simple desk was a man far from simple. He was wearing a suit jacket over a deep blue shirt with jeans and sneakers. He had a full head of light brown hair and the facial structure of a Grecian statue, chiseled from marble. If I were to guess I would say about thirty years old, thirty-five tops.

"Hello sir, I'm Phoenix. I sent you a selection of my work the other day?" I tried to extend my hand but he ignored it and looked me over once or twice. I felt like an amoeba on a glass slide, small and insignificant. He seemed to think I was nothing more than a nuisance.

His eyes finally met mine and I could swear they were lit by some fire in his head. They were somewhere between a light brown and a red in color. And, man, were they bright! He looked away from me and at Aiden questionably.

"He's the guy I told you about. He did the painting of John almost spot on from just a few moments of memory. Exact same facial expression too. VERY lifelike."

"So," he had such a deep voice I almost thought it was a straight guttural growl, "he's the guy you've been fixed about for the past weel or so?" He looked me over again, this time he noticed the left over paint and clay under my nails. So did I. I tried to hide my fingers in my pockets but the damage was done.

"Yes, sir. He has a great deal of talent and a good eye. He even uses the same tools and paints that we do here."

"Well, that IS interesting. Those are some expensive elements. How did you afford them?"

"I saved. And I've gotten good at using as little as possible while still making it look decent."

"I see. Shame you didn't bring any pieces with you. I would like to see them in person. Pictures cut out some of the details we need to be sure of."

I wanted to smack myself across the head. Of course I should have brought a portfolio or some of my work. Just because I sent pictures doesn't mean it was good enough! "I'm sorry, sir. I didn't think about that when I left."

"What's with this 'sir' crap, man? Name's Eric. If you want to be formal or something then call me Boss. That is, if you can pass a test for me."

"Usual test, Boss?"

"Yes, Aiden. Go set up." Aiden walked out of the room and didn't come back. "He should be a few minuets. Sit down and chat for a bit."

"Oh, sure. Thank you sir." He looked at me kind of funny and then I realized why. "Sorry, I meant to say boss."

"So you learn quick. That or your decently perceptive. I like that. One point in your favor." He gave me the lightest of smiles. "Now when did you start painting and where did you learn?"

"Started painting when I was pretty young and I taught myself. It wasn't easy but I didn't give it up. It's kind of like my way of meditating I guess. I get stressed or bored and I pick up a brush or some clay."

"That's a pretty in depth answer there, kid. I like that. We can use in depth here. Let's hope your just as thorough in other areas."

He just sat there looking at me. He must be expecting an answer, right? But I couldn't think of one. So we sat in silence for a moment until Aiden finally called in from out of the room.

"Well it's time to see what you're made of."

"Am I going to die?"

"Ha ha ha. No, its not that drastic of a test. Though I've thought about kicking it up a notch."

A guy in a suit with a humor. Not bad. Time to see what I had in store for me.

 

 

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

 

 

Turns out what I had in store was a full view of Aiden. In the nude. Aroused. It was heaven.

I almost dropped my jaw but caught myself. Its a test. Aiden told me one of the main thing one needed here was the ability to stay calm and be objective.

"What's my medium?" I asked him.

"Make your choice. You've got paint and canvas, clay and a kiln, backgrounds and the best cameras possible; take your pick."

"Do you have charcoal sticks? Some textured paper would be nice too if you have it." Aiden only pointed to a cupboard and went back to his pose.

I grabbed a few sticks, some paper, the easel, and some paper to smudge with; and I took it over to a spot where I got some good light and angle.

Thankfully there was a rolling bench near by that I could put my things on. It also had some paint and canvas on it too. That could be useful. I set up the paper and got to work. The coal, I decided, would be a slightly detailed full body shot.

I started as an outline. Slowly, I added details and eventually I was happy. It only took a fraction of the time I thought so I added in scenery and more detail. Soon after that I set it off to the side. I couldn't do anything more to it.

I wasn't done though. I couldn't waste the perfect moment to stare at Aiden some more. So I picked up the canvas and paints. I decided a bust would work.

I started with his eyes. They were a deep, piercing caramel today. It was a hard color to get right. I eventually did though and I slapped his eyes on the canvas. Its my favorite part to paint. I added around them. Soon, I had painted his entire face.

It only took me a little bit longer to finish the rest of the piece. I even added a light green background. I set them both on a counter and walked away to stretch my legs. Sitting that long can really mess with your blood circulation.

When I walked back over they were both looking over my pieces. I kinda expected that. What I didn't expect was to see the look in both of their eyes. They were so intent It was like they expected the pictures to some alive.

"Well, do I pass?" I walked over to them and noticed that John was still naked. 'Stay focused, be professional, don't react!' I kept repeating those lines in my head until I calmed down. "What do you think?"

They peeked up at each other and turned to me. At the same time they both said, "Your in."

As a note: this text is unedited and probably contains alot of typos and mistakes. Please excuse this.
Copyright © 2012 PhoenixFlames; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Read prologue through Chapter 4 and I am certainly hooked. Lot's of hints but little firm background other than we know:

Phoenix was stabbed in the chest and apparently survived.

He has/had a sister.

He can fly--or can he?

He is into drawing, painting, sculpting and tattoes.

He has some piercings.

He is gay or at least curious.

His would be employers are not exactly mundane....

Link to comment
On 02/13/2012 02:30 AM, Daddydavek said:
Read prologue through Chapter 4 and I am certainly hooked. Lot's of hints but little firm background other than we know:

Phoenix was stabbed in the chest and apparently survived.

He has/had a sister.

He can fly--or can he?

He is into drawing, painting, sculpting and tattoes.

He has some piercings.

He is gay or at least curious.

His would be employers are not exactly mundane....

Hey! Thanks for the review! I had kinda forgotten about this site until i got the email telling me about this review. -feels super bad- ive been busy writing a bit of fan fic and such and forgot to post the next chapter. I will go do that now.

As for your list of facts that are known, I will leave those alone and let the story speak for itself. ^.^

Thanks again for the review.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..