Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 1,694 Words
  • 1,554 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Finding Simba - 3. Find Ch 3

Canberra, ACT, Australia

“General, I wish to apply for emergency leave, due to a family crisis?” Nathan Blackwood asked his commanding officer, after been granted two minutes to speak to him. “What exactly is this family crisis that you speak of Colonel?” the commanding officer asked.

“Sir, as you know, my family owns a property at the foot of Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, and two weeks ago, my nephew, Jacob flew to Africa to spend some time there, but he only got as far as Cape Town, as he was capture by some unknown people and he is being held captive.

Some how my nephew has managed to get two text messages out to me, but now I fear that they have discovered his mobile phone and he cannot communicate no more. All he said is that he is been kept in a deep cave that is very close to a freight railway tunnel that passes the cave twice a day. And I must go and search for him, please let me go and rescue my nephew,” Colonel Blackwood said.

“Is that all that you know about this hostage situation?” the General asked, “Well sir, soon after I received his second message, I received a text from a silent number, stating that my nephew is been held captive in South Africa, and that there is a ransom of 20 million Rand, which is 1.7 million Australian dollars.

I have to come to South Africa to deliver the money, and that I am not to call the police,” Nathan replied.

“I see, well I am guessing that the hostage takers are unaware that you are Australian Army, so we can not worry about breaking that condition… Very well, you have permission to go and rescue your nephew, but you are not to break any laws while in South Africa, and I don’t want you to cause any diplomatic incidences, while you are there, Understood?” the General stated.

“Yes sir, thankyou,” Nathan said happily, as he left the CO’s office and about ten minutes later he was in his car and heading for home, to start organising a trip to South Africa.

Cape Town, South Africa

Nearly a week later, Nathan arrived in Cape Town and he had booked into the same hotel as his nephew had, with just a light luggage bag, which he could keep close to him.

After he paid the driver before exiting the taxi, Nathan realised that he was a good twenty metres from the hotel as he dashed towards the doors to the hotel, just as a van pulled up near the taxi and three men jumped out, and quickly approached. However, Nathan was too fast for them, as he entered the hotel foyer, and walked swiftly to the reception area.

Glancing over his shoulder as he arrived at the counter, he saw the three men standing outside the hotel in a heated discussion, and turned to face the receptionist. “Does that happen around here all the time?” Nathan asked the receptionist.

“Yes sir, I am afraid it happens far too often, and the police don’t seem to be bothered about it, mainly because it happens too often,” the receptionist responded. “That is not a good thing for Cape Town. Surely if they want to have a tourism industry, they need to do something about it. I have a feeling that the taxi driver had something to do with that attempt to hijack me just now,” Nathan said.

“Yes that is possible, I have witnessed too many abductions over the past few months, including a young man just a few weeks ago,” the receptionist stated, “That young man, is my nephew, and it is the reason why I am here. Can I speak to your head of hotel security please,” Nathan asked.

“I am sorry sir, but we no longer have any security that work outside the hotel, as they are too scared of getting injured or killed themselves,” the receptionist replied, “Then I would like to speak to your hotel manager please,” Nathan responded, just as a middle aged women stepped out of a back office area.

“I am Palesa, the hotel manager, can I assist you sir?” the woman asked. “Hiyo ni jina Zuri” Nathan said in Swahili, and the woman smiled, “Thankyou,” Palesa responded.

“My name is Nathan Blackwood, my nephew Jacob Blackwood, was booked into this hotel about three weeks ago, on transit to Tanzania,” Nathan said in English.

“Please follow me Mr Blackwood, so we can talk some more,” the manager said holding out her arm to direct Nathan towards her office. A few moments later Nathan sat down in a large sparsely furnished office, and he watched as the manager poured a fresh cup of tea each.

After handing Nathan a cup, she sat down at a nearby armchair, well away from her desk, and she took a sip before smiling again. “I know exactly who you are Nathan, as my first cousin is Afya, your family housekeeper at the Kilimanjaro,” Palesa said.

“Did you know that my nephew would be staying at your hotel?” Nathan asked, “No, I am afraid I didn’t know, as I was away on my annual leave, which I spent with Afya, and she said nothing about expecting your nephew coming for a holiday,” Palesa said, as she picked up the telephone and dialled a number.

“Jack, this is Palesa, did you have a booking for a Mr Jacob Blackwood approximately three weeks ago?” Palesa asked over the phone… “Ok, it appears that we have had another abduction, in front of the hotel, and the victim is a friend of my family,” Palesa said after listening to the reply, then hung up the phone.

“It appears that my deputy manager has no knowledge of it, and said he just thought that it was a no show,” Palesa said to Nathan, “Your receptionist said that you have no external security, because no one is prepared to stand outside to welcome guests into the hotel. What about security cameras?” Nathan asked.

“No, the owner’s have decided against it, again because they feel that is a lost cause,” Palesa replied. “Once I have settled into my hotel room, I would like to have a look at the current laws in South Africa, to see what options I have, after I have done that, I would like to have another chat with you on possible options in regards to staff and guest security,” Nathan said.

“I look forward to that meeting, now let’s get you settled into a suite,” Palesa said to Nathan as she stood and headed to the door. “Rosa, I believe the master suite is available, have it ready for Mr Blackwood please,” Palesa said to the receptionist.

After he had showered and changed into some more comfortable clothes, Nathan stepped out onto his patio, and he looked out over the front entry area of the hotel, before there was a knock on his suite door. “Who is it?” Nathan asked as he hesitated at the door.

“This is Gloria from reception sir,” came the response, and placing his foot to stop the door from opening any more than a foot, he peered through the gap, where the smiling receptionist stood, and he opened the door some more, “A gift from Ms Palesa, sir?” Gloria said as she held out what looked like a very solid looking walking stick, which has very intricate carving all over it, and had a large lions head at the top.

“Wow, that is one very impressive walking stick,” Nathan replied as he accepted the walking stick, which is about one metre long. Gloria smiled before turning and heading back to the reception.

Placing the stick on the bed, Nathan opened up his laptop computer, and he spent the next three hours searching through various online articles about South African laws on self defence, and once he had a better understanding of what to expect, he headed downstairs, with his walking stick in hand.

Stepping out the front of the hotel, Nathan glance around to see if there was any taxis or any vans that may be casing out the area, and when he saw none, he stepped towards the edge of the road and turned around, and looked back at the front of the hotel.

Noticing a taxi fast approaching, Nathan made his way back inside before the Taxi could stop near where he was standing, and he looked over his shoulder and wondered if it was the same driver that took him from the airport to just before the hotel.

A few minutes later, Nathan knocked on the manager’s door and entered before getting a response. “Hi Nathan, how did you go with your research?” Palesa said as she stood and walked over to the armchair and sat down, and indicated for Nathan to do the same.

“Good, and thanks for the stick, it is a perfect defence weapon, and I am sure it will come handy, now I stepped outside for a few minutes just now, and it didn’t take long for my position to be noticed by a taxi, and I managed to retreat into the hotel without any incident.

I would like to make a few recommendations. Firstly, I recommend some security cameras be placed up in the eaves of the balcony outside my suite, which has the best viewing points to the entry to the hotel. Secondly, I recommend that you have a complimentary shuttle bus service from the airport to the hotel, so as to keep all of your guest’s safe. Thirdly I recommend that the security fencing around the back and side boundaries of the hotel be upgraded,” Nathan announced.

“I can approve all of those things, I just hope that it will be enough to keep the muggers well away, as it has been affecting our business over the past 18 months, and it seems to be getting worse,” Palesa responded. I am sure with me on the job, so to speak we will have a better outcome for you all,” Nathan said smiling.

Copyright © 2021 quokka; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 10
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow Simba has been captive for quite a while. Hopefully things will start to happen now that Nathan is in South Africa and on the hunt for Simba and the kidnappers. With a ransom demanded, Nathan will soon have an idea where Simba is.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..