Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Welcome to California! - 1. Chapter 1

I've been staring out the window for quite some time now, and I'm beginning to wish all those boring corn and soy bean fields from Illinois would come back. To be honest, I'd rather atleast be looking at something 'alive' instead of the wide open plains of dry cracked earth we were passing by. Sure there was some wildlife, but it was sparsely speckled throughout the wide landscape and did not provide much in the means of scenery. And scenery is what I need right now, because I need a distraction to keep my mind off the events of the past few days. I can't even tell you how many times in the past month I've mentally tried to 'will' the universe to swing a 'cosmic' favor my way to change the direction my life was heading, but it's beyond that point now. The part of me inside that's been looking forward to this move has been slowly creeping into my chest, into the center of my emotions, and now I find myself simply hoping that it doesn't turn out to be a disaster. That maybe life has some things to teach me here that it can nowhere else, and that maybe the ride isn't a devilish rollercoaster that it could potentially turn out to be. Bored with fidgeting and staring at... well... dirt, I began to let myself drift off into a state of half sleep. To the land of daydreams and memories.
 
"Jason?... Jason put the ball down and come inside. I'll be in the living room!" Mom was calling me inside. I suspected it was for another "get your shit together" chat about the move, so I just ignored her and kept dancing around the driveway brushing past imaginary opponents, dribbling skillfully, side-stepping to the left past one, hopping to the right past another and dashing around a third to go for a solid lay-up. It was perfect - until I missed and the ball went bouncing away from the hoop. Looking up I saw frustrated eyes set in my mother's soft face and immediately started to feel a contradicting mixture of irritation and remorse welling up within me, and although I wish I could be more of an adult unfortunately I wasn't able to contain myself completely.

"WHAT?" I barked out gruffly. For a moment there was nothing more said between us and if it weren't for my panting I swear a pin dropping would have been my saving grace. For I was quickly losing the staring contest we'd engaged in throughout the pause and soon I'd start fidgeting (Mom's sure have a way, don't they?). Finally she broke the silence and spoke calmly, clearly needing some effort to keep her voice level.

"Come inside, we need to talk, and 'no' is not an answer. You have two minutes. Do NOT keep me waiting this time." With that she tossed me the ball, turned around, and went inside to wait. I just stared after her, my mind swirling around with emotions that once again began to want nothing more than to lash out at something, even if only for a second, and I caved. I turned towards the backyard and punted the basketball grunting loudly, and I didn't really care when it shot over the neighbor's fence and bounced away. I only had a day left here anyway, so it's not like I'd be getting much more use of it anymore anyway.

 
Sighing, I began making my way into the house, hoping this would be a short conversation as I hadn't really cared much for the ones we'd been having lately. See, it's not that I don't love my dad - even though I don't really know him that well, to give you an idea I don't even know what he does for a living - but I don't like being pressured into something that I don't want to do (Does anyone?). I have no idea why this is happening now of all the times it could have, and obviously I hate the idea of having to spend my last two years of high school in a whole new place. All of my friends, my favorite places, everything I've ever known is changing. On my way through the kitchen I poured myself some water and headed towards the living room. My mom was sitting in her favorite red velvet armchair, I took a seat completely opposite her on the couch across the room and slumped down a little in my own little way of protest. I did not have to wonder where this was headed much longer as my mother cleared her throat and began speaking. "Jason. I know this is hard for you, and I didn't expect you to just 'hop to' and pack everything you own the first day we spoke about this, but it's getting a little silly now." I suppose she had a point, I still hadn't even begun to pack for our cross-country trek that was now only a day away. "We're leaving tomorrow at 5PM, and -right now- I'm going to ask you: Are you going to pack your things? Or am I. Because whether you like it or not, tomorrow's the day." She said the last part with a bit of conviction. The tone of her voice told me that not only was this all NOT some wild dream, but she meant business. Which meant that if I didn't want an angry mom throwing my things all over the place, into bags, and onto the truck at the crack of dawn, I'd better just get it done. I decided to voice this to be on the safe side.

"I'll have it done. Don't touch my stuff. And just because I'm gonna do it, doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. Which I'm not, in case you even care." Good one Jason, fuel the fire why don't you? There's some gasoline in the garage if you'd like. Mom informed me that dinner would be at 6:30 as usual, and went about her business. My little prod hadn't even recieved a response. Which was unusual, because the only few times I've been in an argument with her in my life, she hasn't been so calm about it. And therein lies the stinging proof that not only did she care, but she cared more than I knew.

 
Snapping out of my little reverie, I realized the sounds I was hearing were a voice. Said voice was right next to me, I turned to face my mom right when she pointed and with a somewhat excited voice said "Hey Jason look! We're almost there sweetie!" I took a look into the direction she was pointing to and saw something that made my heart drop, and rise at the same time, giving me a light case of butterflies in my stomach. There on the side of the road was a wide green sign that said "Welcome to California!"
Copyright © 2013 RejectTheSpiral; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I really enjoy this genre and I appreciate a story with less angst in it then the typical "Teen goes to live with his dad because of Tragedy X" storyline.

 

Looking forward to the next chapter!

Link to comment
On 10/12/2013 07:35 AM, Rebelghost85 said:
I really enjoy this genre and I appreciate a story with less angst in it then the typical "Teen goes to live with his dad because of Tragedy X" storyline.

 

Looking forward to the next chapter!

I'm happy to hear that! I love stories of this genre as well, but I find many writers tend to overdo the dramatics sometimes in the sense that there is often a 'crisis' event that gets them going. It doesn't always make the story bad, but when it is overdone it can really hurt the reader's interest. Thanks for the review, and thank you very much for reading!
Link to comment

Personally, I'd be dancing a littl jig if I got to move from NY to Cali! But that's just me. lol

 

I love it so far, Spiral! =) I'm also intrigued to find out why now, does Jason's father decide that he wants his son to live with him.

 

I'm looking forward to chapter two! I have one complaint though: The chapter was too short! ;)

Link to comment
On 10/12/2013 02:40 PM, Lisa said:
Personally, I'd be dancing a littl jig if I got to move from NY to Cali! But that's just me. lol

 

I love it so far, Spiral! =) I'm also intrigued to find out why now, does Jason's father decide that he wants his son to live with him.

 

I'm looking forward to chapter two! I have one complaint though: The chapter was too short! ;)

Heh, I would also love to go to cali, but my heart is in NY so personally I'll be sticking around awhile.

As for the chapter length, I apologize for teasing you guys with one so short. I do plan on larger chapters in the future, but they will probably always be a maximum of 2,000 words approximately so I can get atleast one new chapter up a week.

PS: Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you like it so far!

Link to comment

Intriguing start. I love when a story hooks me with unanswered questions right at the start. Why the dad suddenly wants to spend time with the boy? Why does mom agree? Why is a teenage boy not consulted in the decision? Is there underlying discipline problems we don't know about yet? I could probably go on and on. Instead I will keep reading and see what answers you chose to give us!

Link to comment

You're a good writer. I'm already... Well, snagged on this. You captured Jason's thoughts well. Looking forward to the next chapter:)

Link to comment

A nice steady start to the story looking forward to Jasons life in Caliefonea and the reasons why he had to go to live with his father . Well done looking forward to the next chapter

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..