Jump to content
    RiyanW
  • Author
  • 4,128 Words
  • 1,674 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Run Free - 8. Chapter 8

The next morning Alex rested against Tarry as they all set out to go back to his kingdom. Martha sitting behind Alex as to allow him to lie against Tarry she held onto him. Cola looked over at Alex and Tarry and snickered a bit. “Well then I see someone didn’t sleep much last night. Isn’t that right Alex?”


Alex shot up sending Cola a glare his cheeks flaring into a blush. “It’s not like that and you know it.”


“Like that? Is there something we need to talk about?” Marchen slid into the conversation.


“No theirs not.” Alex spat.


“Yes there is. I should know I walked in on them just starting to get hot and heavy last night.” Cola added.


“Wait I’m lost what?” Martha said finally catching on.


Ruka chuckled. “Well Martha it’s something too intense for your little ears.”


With wide eyes Martha looked at Alex. “Ew Alex what did you do? Marchen I wanna ride with you.”


“I didn’t do anything!”


“Oh really so why are you tired then?” Marchen asked pulling Martha up onto his horse with him.


“I was up most of the night worrying about the war that’s all and eventually I dozed off.”


“I don’t believe you but, really Ruka why aren’t you tired?” Cola asked


“You see what happened was…”


“Can we please have a change in subject for my own sanity…?” Alex said resting back against Tarry.


“Oh so someone doesn’t want to think about what happened last night?” Ruka teased.


“Would you guys leave me alone!”


---


The ride took quite a while though Alex didn’t get teased the entire way he did suffer most of the way. Finally arriving at the kingdom Alex was a little relieved to get away from all the teasing yet stressed to know he had a bigger job at hand. Once he reached the front of the castle he thought he may never return to, a woman with wings walked up to him. If he remembered her type was called harpies.


“Prince Alex me correct?” The harpy girl asked.


Alex wondered if she knew she spoke incorrectly but he said nothing. “Yes that’s me.”


“Good. From master he wishes you good luck and say he to be contacted if need more help.”


Alex nodded in thanks. “Thank you.” The harpy flew off and a few joined her that Alex didn’t notice were perched on the roof. Moments after Xan walked out greeting Alex and whom he had with him.


“Nice to see you home Alex. Where is…”


“Tarry, he went to the other gate to be protected.” Alex explained.


“Uh… yeah ok. Your father wishes to speak with you, though I do worry about him asking you to lead the war suddenly. “


Alex nodded too. “I worry as well. Can you lead them to the towers I guess? Where is my father?”


“Sure and he is in his office. He was speaking to Princess Ai.”


Alex nodded and departed from the others who were with him as he headed to his dads office just in time to see a young girl about his age with dark hair and purple eyes leave from the room. Looking up to Alex she curtsied. “Prince Alex I assume. A pleasure to meet you at last.”


Bowing Alex nodded. “Same to you. Are you alright?”


Ai shrugged. “Mildly. You will find out soon enough why I am not at the peak of my good moods. I doubt you will be thrilled.” Stepping to the side she allowed Alex past her and into the room.


Stepping inside Alex sat down when his father motioned him to. “Good evening father, what is it you wanted to speak to me about?”


The male smirked as he looked at Alex. “You have surely grown, your formation was pretty good for a first try. But I am sure you want to know why I asked you to do this.”


Alex nodded a little worried about what his father was going to tell him.


“It was simple really, your mother is right to have kept you out for so long, you needed to see the world and finally own up to being a prince. So I decided it would be a good chance to let you get a taste of some of the duties such as formation. But I also have other plans now hear me out first. I want you to become a great king, the best successor you can be. I want you to take control of Run Free and I plan to set you up an arrange marriage with Princess Ai.”


Alex slowly got out of his seat. “No, I can’t take over Run Free that’s not how it works and I refuse to marry someone I don’t know or like.”


Getting up quickly Alex dad made his way over to him placing his hand on the boys shoulder. “Now son think this through. If you take over Run Free you won’t have to worry about any wars at all. Everyone would be too scared to touch this place. And with Ai also being a part of Run Free you get not only land but also her support. And besides Ai needs to be married she needs help with her own kingdom.”


Alex shrugged off the hand. “No and that’s it no.” Moving towards the door now he could see how Ai wasn’t too pleased.


“Don’t tell me you have fallen in love with that hellhound. As sweet as it is Alex you still have to marry. There is no way around it.”


Alex froze, his hand on the door knob. How could he possibly marry when it was clear even to his dad that he was in love with Tarry. “Alex either you marry some girl some royalty, or you won’t succeed in anything and we will have to put all control under Angel, and you know how that was now don’t you. Why don’t you go think about that for a bit? Either it’s your hellhound, or your freedom along with the welfare of the kingdom and its people. Your choice.”


Moving over to the door Alex dad opened it leading Alex out and closing it behind him. Alex didn’t know what to say but Ai was there waiting for him.


“I see it didn’t go well. Come, we can talk about it with the others and decide what to do, you still have a war to fight.”


Alex nodded following Ai up to the towers where Marchen, Cola and his mother sat.


“Mom what are you doing here?” Alex asked as he sat down on the floor next to Marchen who seemed a bit dazed out.


“Watching over the gate is all. I can see it though no one else can.” Alice said. She looked up to Alex and Ai who sat on the other side of her. “You two seem really upset, what’s the matter?”


Alex looked up to Ai who nodded for him to explain. “We… dad… he wants me to take over Run Free with Ai…”


“Is that why he is trying to arrange our weeding?” Ai asked. “You can’t control Run Free I do hope he understands that.”


“Doubtful.” Alice said. “As much as I love him we had countless time of arguing over control of Run Free. It’s not ours to control and he hardly understands that.”


Alex nodded. “Yeah and that’s why he wanted me to command the war along with practice and is setting me and Ai to get married.”


Marchen blinked form his daze. “You can’t marry Ai you’re in love with Tarry.”


Alex blinked and looked up at his mom who just smiled suggesting she already knew.


“And besides, no offence Alex but I really don’t want to marry you.” Ai added. “Even more so if that means I am getting in the way of you and someone else. That’s just mean.”


Alex shrugged.”I guess but… I will have to get married if I plan to run the kingdom and I can’t let Angel run the place.”


Cola opened her eyes now and tilted her head. “Why don’t you two get married on the whim of your kingdom and not bother about who each of you are with. If I am right Ai you have the hot’s for one of your many rescued slaves.”


Ai’s cheeks grew red and she turned away. “How did you find out about that…?”


Alex smirked a little but was confused. “Rescues slaves?”


Marchen nodded “Yep, her parents were slave owners and she hated how her mom mistreated them and her but her mom died of an illness and her dad murdered in war. She had been half running the kingdom along with one of her father’s right hand men but she had been letting the slaves free as citizens and she often goes to slave sales to buy them just to get them away from any abusive masters.”


Alex smiled looking to Ai. “That’s so sweet of you. At least if I were to marry I wouldn’t be marrying some mean person.”


“Translation some stuck up bitch.” Marchen said getting a laugh from Ai, Cola and Alice.


“Indeed though Marchen has a point Alex. Talk to Tarry I am sure he will understand. He is such a sweet person he may be alright with it.” Alice added.


Ai looked up now looking out of the windows. “What are those in the sky?” Ai pointed to the strange rectangle shape objects in the sky.”


“Mirrors.” Marchen said. “I am using them to reflect the light and make the kingdom look like it’s not there.”


Ai nodded as she started at the many mirrors hovering in the sky before looking to Marchen again.”Just how much concentration is it taking you to do that?”


“Not as much as you think. The levitation isn’t my doing I’m just dealing with how much light it reflected or whatnot.”


Alice put up a hand. “I am the one levitating it and it isn’t too hard.”


Ai nodded and looked to Alex who had folded his arms over his knees and hid his face in them.


“Alex, are you alight?”


Alex looked up at Ai and smiled a bit. “Yes I am fine just thinking. What is the current status?”


Cola closed her eyes for a while before opening them. “It seems all is well. Nothing is really happening yet. I think our enemy is debating on attack since the kingdom isn’t there to them.”


“They’re here?” Alex asked feeling a bit of panic rise into him.


“Yes they showed up about when you came in the room. Its fine I think we have it all under control.”


“Where is Tarry?”


“He is waiting for a sign of attack.” Cola explained.


Alex nodded and rested his chin on his knees. The anticipation of the war was frightening. He couldn’t stop himself from worrying if anything was going wrong.


 


---


 


Though things had grown quiet originally it wasn’t so now. Battle had started and Alex was feeling sick with worry. Leaning on Ai as she kept the air around her cool to relax Alex Cola’s eyes were closed as she concentrated.


“Cola please tell me the current status before I go mad.”


“You need not worry Alex really you have been asking me the current status every three to five minutes when something goes wrong you will know.”


The sound of wings were heard and Alex looked up with Ai towards the window. “Yes what is it?”


The harpy girl shook her head. “Tarry want know that you alright. Something fly this way must be animal.” With that the harpy took off again.


Alex looked to Cola again. “Is…”


“Yes he is fine they haven’t got that far they got stopped by some of the solders so chill out Alex.”


Groaning he rested his head back on Ai shoulder.


“I can tell this is your first war, please calm down.” Ai said. She sighed and glanced out of the window before placing a hand on Alex forehead. “Try not to work of a fever Tarry wouldn’t like that very much.”


Alex just ground and kept his eyes close.


Colas eyes opened Ai looked to her raising a brow. Sighing Cola tapped Alex. “Ok I have news now.”


Alex sat up quick. “What is it what’s going on?”


“Marchens mirror was broken. The kingdom is visible now. The Army that was going for Tarries area are now becoming more fierce and…”


“And…?”


“I think something is coming through the gate Tarry is guarding.”


Alex got up quickly but Alice grabbed his foot tripping him. “No you don’t young man you are going to sit right here.”


“No I have to go help Tarry.”


“And do what?” Ai asked as she stood. “You have no training as of yet so sit here I will go out there and see to things in your place.”


“You’re a girl you can’t” Alex spat.


“I can’t my left foot. I can do magic even better than your sister I will have you know. Stay here and I will see to things. You should listen to your said fiancé.” She rolled her eyes at the mention of being his fiancé and turning to leave out the door.


“Mom why…” Alex said and Alice just smiled. “Because of what Ai just said not stay here. You can see to things another time.”


Marchen walked in through one of the mirrors in the room and sighed. “Ok things are progressing…”


“In a good way or a bad way?” Alice asked


Marchen shrugged. “Good and bad. Kingdome is visible mirror got broken. Good part more help just came…”


“What kind of help?” Alex asked.


“Not our kind of help. The dead is coming through the portal so Tarry is having a little trouble.”


“Ai is on her way there” Cola said.


Marchen nodded. “Ok and status for wounded hurt and all the good stuff… many wounded a few dead and getting up to attack us. As for the wounded, we have healers I didn’t know we had.”


“From where?” Alice questioned.


“The harpies master sent them. He thought ahead of time.”


Alex groaned and hid his face in his arms. “This is killing me. Please let everyone be ok…”


---


Tarry jumped out of the way of the demons as they seem to just be leaking from the portal biting clawing and burning almost didn’t seem to be enough. Snow at his side the white hellhound assisted as much as he could.


“Tarry, when this happened last time didn’t you come to send these things back?”


Taking a moment to answer telepathically as he couldn’t talk in that form, he knocked down a few more of the demons. ~Along those lines.~


“Where the hell are you comrades.”


Tarry moved out of the way tumbling over snow as they were far too close. ~That’s a damn good question.~


“Right here guys.” The voice of a child was heard and the demons all seem to burst into flames.


Snow and Tarry turned to the child who also came from the gate and nothing else seem to come from it. “Sorry I wasn’t planning to be here. But the amount of dead action going on here I was sending. Where is… Alex…”


Tarry took a moment before lowering himself to let the child on his back since he could only talk to Snow. He couldn’t talk in his hellhound form and only Snow could speak to him telepathically.


“He is in the castle. Tarry said he will take you to him.”


“Good.” The kid climbed onto Tarrys back and Tarry took off towards the castle just as Ai came into view.


“Snow… oh… he just showed up?”


Snow nodded. “The kid did. You know him?”


Ai nodded. “Yes I know him. The demon army is his army. Looks like we are in luck, this might end faster than we thought.”


Snow looked away as something ran past his vision. “Looks like the other hellhounds just showed up.”


---


 


Alex sat with Marchen seeming terribly troubled. His mind still not at rest about the war going on outside. He wanted to hear what was going on but not only was he apparently locked in the room bind by Angel who seem to have wondered in but also the windows were blocked off and no sound could get through.


Marchen looked at Alex and sighed. “Would you please calm down Alex, you are starting to make me sick.”


“I can’t calm down.” Alex stated. “How am I supposed to calm down knowing I am suppose to be out there with all those people and Tarry…”


“Is at the door.” Cola said cutting Alex off as she got up moving to the door.


Alex stood up quickly and as she opened the door only seconds later did Tarry come in with a boy on his back. Moving to Alex he nuzzled against him and the boy jumped to the floor.


“Tarry are you alright?” Not that the hellhound could really reply. He turned to the kid. “I know you.”


“You should. I sent all those harpies and other demons. So now let’s get straight to the point. Call everyone back but my army.”


Alex looked puzzled as Alice walked in.”Why? What are you up to?”


The boy turned to Alice with a rather mischievous grin. “I would say none of your business but whatever. I have been sent here because the amount of souls being summoned has caused a disturbance I am going to set them all aflame and have the hellhounds that are all currently here take action at taking the many souls back as well as the souls from the ones summoning them. Unless you want me to accidently kill your solders you should move them”


Alex ran his fingers through Tarrys hair. “Alright, what about your solders?”


“They are all standing by due to my arrival.”


Cola nodded and sat down concentrating hard to tell everyone. Alice left to tell Angel so they could call everyone back


“Why is it a child like yourself with so much power? It’s unfair isn’t it?” Alex said hardly thinking on what he said.


The boy turned to him and shrugged. “Doesn’t matter, it’s what happens when great power takes you in out of the want for their own actions.” With that said the boy turned to leave.


“You could swear from the way he talks he’s not his age, what is he five?”


Marchen shrugged. “Not sure anymore. He has been in and out of death so he might be older but he isn’t stupid. He was raised by the best and the strongest. A true story for another time but never the less that’s how he is. He isn’t all bad now, I have been him on his better days. He was probably dealing with his real dad before he came.”


Alex looked troubled but didn’t say anything as Ai came in. “Damn brat.”


“What’s wrong Ai?” Marchen asked.


“The kid is what’s wrong I hate it when he just takes command like that.”


Marchen shrugged. “You must have got shoved in here by one of his demons.”


“Yes yet again, he’s going that to everyone to get them off the battlefield.”


Alex sat down and Tarry curled up next to him. “You don’t like being told what to do huh?”


Ai shook her head sitting with him. “No that’s not even it. I just don’t like him forcing me to move. He always does that. I understand why it makes it faster to have his people seek everyone out and move them to the castle, some are wounded and can’t move well but still it bothers me.”


Alex looked towards the window and then to Cola as she opened her eye. “Hey Cola what does he plan to do?”


“Use black flames. It degenerates the body and locks the soul in place until taken away. Unlike fire it doesn’t eat everything so it’s not like everything and everyone will be on fire. When you set of a black flame it targets what’s already dead, and any ties it has to anything else.”


“He’s probably going to lock off that gate as well.” Marchen added


“He can do that?” ales asked and Tarry nodded.


“Not as in it can never be opened again but its kinda like a binding that keep it close like locking the door. It can be opened again but it’s closed until something can break the lock. Not impossible just a bit difficult.” Cola explained. “Only things that’s bad if hell hounds that pass through it opened it and the entire thing starts all over.


Some time past and Alice reentered the room. “That kid scares me.”


Alex looked up from laying against Tarry. “What’s going on”


Alice smiled softly. “He just ended the entire war. That is why he scares me. A war like that could have later a while but that took all of maybe sixteen or so hours since you arrived. He ended it all within about an hour. He said be careful a few hellhounds are still running about collecting souls. We might still have a few problems with our enemy, he is still out there but you sister took charge now and it sending troops after him.”


Tarry got up quickly and Cola jumped in his way. “Hey now stop right there Mr. Your done for now stay with Alex. He has been worried sick about you.”


Tarrys lowered his ears and went back to Alex said.


“Don’t worry Tarry everything is under control now. You just relax and… find out what your going to do about Alex and Ai.” Alice left out of the door as Angel called for her.


Tarry tilted is head and looked to Alex and Ai who gave a slight smile.


“We will talk after you change Tarry, Ai said.”


-----


 


Tarry had changed into his more human form and got changed. Moving to Alex room where he sat with Ai and Martha he stepped inside to see a not to happy Martha and a rather timid looking Ai.


“What’s the matter Martha? I am sure Ai didn’t do anything to you.” Tarry said as he moved to take a seat in the chair by the window.


Martha just grunted. “Tarry you have to make it stop Ai can’t marry my brother.”


Alex looked at Ai then Tarry and Ai got up from where she sat on the bed. “Look I promise you it wasn’t my idea at all. It was his dad’s idea and it was to control the Run Free and..”


“Ok” Tarry said with a shrug.


Alex tilted his head. “You’re ok with that?”


Tarry nodded. “Yes of course. It is common to have arranged marriages like this one for the sake of the Kingdom. As far as owning Run Free goes I don’t know about that but I already expected this. At least it’s with someone who won’t mind me being around. I don’t plan to go anywhere.”


Matha shook her head. “I am confused there has to be some form of restriction against this”


Alex shook his head with a laugh. “Martha you can’t even spell restriction”


A blush stretching over Marthas cheeks she stomped her foot. “So what it doesn’t matter”


Ai giggled. “That’s ok Martha you don’t need to spell it to use it.”


“Yeah see I don’t need to spell it to use it.”


Tarry laughed lightly and got up moving over to Alex and pulling the boy into his arms. “Well I guess everything is alright now. Is Angel ok with everything.”


“Mama said she’d deal with angel.” Martha said with a bright smile. “And now we can all travel sometime. Mommy said it was alright as long as we kept her posted and as long as you are with us Tarry.”


Tarry nodded. “Alright I guess everything is set. So when is the wedding?”


Ai scratched her head. “Yeah… that’s not happening for a while.”


“Why?” Alex asked.


“I think you mom gave your dad the few for this. He won’t be better for a while.”


Alex shrugged. “Oh well doesn’t matter. As long as we are all happy right. You will have your slave I have Tarry.”


Martha jumped up. “And I’m free to roam the land.”


Tarry smiled. “So we all got what we want but I still want one last thing.”


“And what’s that?” Alex asked.


“A kiss from my beloved prince.”


Martha quickly scurried out of the room. “Oh no not in front of me that gross.”

Copyright © 2011 RiyanW; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..