Jump to content
    Roland
    • Author
  • 10,759 Words
  • 548 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Sands of Time - 5. Chapter 5

"Well, it looks like the people from the hamlet have come," Olpha said as she sat down in the central area of the camp.

"Yes, it does," Xavier replied as he came walking towards the campfire area in the center of their camp. "As soon as the others get back I will set up the wards. Until then we will just have to keep our eyes open and make sure no one crosses our perimeter."

"I think when the others get back, I will go see how they are doing with the dragon. I think we can safely assume this lot has never had to deal with cutting up a dragon, so they may need help." Malachi said softly.

"Good idea," Xavier said with a nod.

"I would prefer if no one went around by themselves," Garnet said softly. "I truly think we need to treat this as a war camp with the stipulations that go along with it."

Everyone was quiet for a moment, then Xavier nodded and spoke. "I agree. While I would like to trust the people we have met so far. We know that they have a bias against Syth, and with that in mind, I think Garnet has a point. From now on, weapons are to be worn always, even inside of camp. No one leaves the camp alone, and we always try to know where everyone is."

Looking around he got nods from everyone. When his eyes fell on Lew he held the Pantherling's gaze for a few, very uncomfortable moments. He nodded more to himself than to anyone else, then stood up. "I will be right back."

Unsure of exactly what just happened, Lew looked to Malachi. "If you wish, I would be happy to accompany you this evening."

"That will work, thank you," Malachi said then grinned even bigger. "I just realized that you do not have a place to stay yet. You can bunk in with me."

"Oh no. I will be fine out here by the fire. It is what I am used to." Shaking his head, Lew demurred.

"Nonsense." Malachi boomed with his trademark laugh. "You may be covered in fur, but it is cold here. If not for you, then for me. Having another body in the tent will make it all the warmer for me."

"I do not have much of a choice do I?" Lew asked just as Xavier returned with a large bundle wrapped in some type of silky fabric.

"No… no you do not…" Malachi was distracted by Xavier's return so his response wasn't as jovial as it normally would have been.

"Lew," Xavier said as he sat down and started to unwrap the bundle. Had Lew been watching anyone other than Xavier, he would have noticed that the others were focused on Xavier and what he carried. Their eyes were wide with amazement.

"You have asked to be in my service. I have accepted that service. However, I find the equipment you currently have is not up to the standards that I wish for those who serve me." Xavier said without looking up. His eyes were locked on the bundle he was unwrapping with painstaking care.

"It is through no fault of your own, and as your new Lord, it is my responsibility to see you have the equipment that is up to my requirements." Xavier uncovered the first part of the bundle and gently lifted a quiver of arrows, almost reverently placing it to the side. "You have said that your primary weapon is a bow. In recognition of your oath to me, I wish to gift you this bow." He pulled the last bit of fabric off the bow and held it up while looking at it fondly, before offering it.

Lew took the proffered bow. He could clearly see that the craftsmanship that went into the bow was exquisite. He sat in stunned silence as Xavier's eyes fell upon him. Then the halfelf stood, and closed the short distance to Lew placing a hand upon his shoulder, "May this bow serve you well."

Lew gave the bow a much closer look as Xavier moved back to his seat. No one spoke as Lew inspected the wonderful gift. His initial thought that the construction was exquisite was simply not a good enough term. He had never seen a bow made of this quality. Looking over the string he realized it was sinew of some type. He examined it for a few more seconds before looking back at Xavier.

Lew tried to find words, but none were forthcoming. Instead, it was Xavier who spoke, "The bow itself is constructed from the rib bone of a Brown that I brought down. The string is made from the sinew of the same dragon." Lew would have gasped had he been able to.

"I...I" Lew began not sure what he could say, instead Xavier raised his hand to forestall any argument.

"Again, it is my decision to make sure you have the equipment that I feel you should have."

Malachi spoke softly, "Come. Let us put your belongings in our tent. It will give you something to do to let your mind adjust."

Lew simply nodded and stood. Xavier then handed him the quiver which included a glove and wrist protector. Almost numb with what had just happened, Lew followed Malachi into the darkness towards the tent.

Olpha waited till they were out of sight before she spoke. "Was that…"

Xavier interrupted her, “Yes.” Then he stood and looked at Garnet. "I am going to set the runes needed for the wards. I will not leave the confines of the camp, but I would like to be alone with my thoughts."

"As you wish." Garnet agreed, though they both knew that Garnet would still keep him in visual range, but would give him the room he needed.

Later that evening, the three diners returned. Xavier and Garnet were sitting around the campfire chatting with Olpha, while Malachi and Lew were still in their tent. Lucas, with a gleam in his eye, went over and crawled into Olpha’s lap, to some minor protests. Everyone chuckled when she announced that she was going to have to punish him, to which he just smiled and said, “Promise?”.

The laughter died down and Syth, Thane, and Lucas related what they had learned during the dinner. Most of the conversation revolved around the guild pins and forgotten fields. "I wonder what else has been lost?" Olpha mused softly.

Before anyone could answer, both the Bear Scorpions and Amakiir, the gargoyle, bounded to their feet looking towards the woods. Suiadan started to snarl, causing almost everyone to jump to their feet and reach for their weapon. Before they could draw them though Malachi's voice came from around his tent. "It is just us."

Everyone relaxed when they saw Malachi come around the tent, behind him was Lew. It was what came next that made them all arch an eyebrow. Behind Lew, was a strutting, and very large, black panther.

When the three got to the ring of seats around the campfire, everyone momentarily forgot the panther when they noticed that Lew's armor had been fixed up a bit. Two gems had been sewn into the chest. He had his Elvin steel blade on his side, his book pouch on the other, and the Dagger of Light nestled in his boot. On his back was the quiver of arrows, and his gloved hand held the bow that Xavier had given him. He wore a forest cloak, and everyone noticed the clasp that held it closed. It was the sigil of Seandra.

Xavier beamed with pride and nodded his approval. Lucas leaned forward out of Olpha's lap while looking at the bow. "Is that?" He started to ask only to be smacked on the back of the head hard by Olpha.

"Yes it is, and nothing more needs to be said." Olpha asserted with a great deal of finality.

"As the lady wishes," Lucas replied, settling back down in her lap.

"You are looking good," Garnet commented with an approving smile. "I see Malachi gave you two of our translation crystals. That was good thinking."

"Now, who is this fine lady?" Thane asked, drawing everyone's attention back to the Panther.

"This is Nimbi," Lew said with a touch of pride while stroking her on her side, making her push up against his leg. "She is my animal focus."

Malachi and Lew moved to take a seat while everyone else, except Olpha and Lucas, returned to their seat. He would have been standing too, but a certain very strong six-fingered hand had kept him firmly in place for the past few minutes. Off to the side, the four animals were sniffing each other and trying to decide what to do next. "AMAKIIR!" Thane hollered. "NO! Nimbi does NOT want to play!"

Everyone laughed as Amakiir dropped his head and whined a bit.

"Lew," Malachi said. "Since everyone is here, would you mind telling them what you told me about our armor?"

"Well." Lew started while shifting a bit nervously. "I was inquiring about Malachi's armor, and what it was made out of, and then I asked about most of the rest of yours, to see if I was right. Anyways… After some discussion, I thought it would be best to recommend that you all wear your desert robes. Those who can identify dragonhide will quickly make a large deal of the fact that you all wear it. And then if by chance anyone can identify Eldwar or Drow Soul Steel, which by the way, I have never heard of, and Edlwar is thought to be mythical… so. Umm." He was letting his nervousness shine, and Malachi came to his rescue.

"Basically, it would be a good idea to wear our robes if we leave the camp in armor."

"Why?" Thane asked, confused. "Why should we hide who we are?"

Lew thought for a moment, all eyes on him. Finally, he decided to see what they had said, about him being a part of their group, and being able to say things to them that others were not, to the test.

"Prince Thane." He started out, deliberately breaking the no-title rule that had been spoken of. "I know you come from a time and place where open displays of wealth are not only common but expected. However, you are no longer in such a place. Here, and in this time, showing wealth like you are doing, is a good way to attract attention that you do not want.

“While you may be powerful, there are some beings out there that are even more powerful and would gladly take what wealth you have. And, there is no one that would be willing to stop them. This is not a 'civilized' land like you would think. People here do not act like you are used to.

“So far, everyone you have met has been mesmerized by your opulent show of wealth. However, if you truly wish to not bring undo attention to yourselves, then you must not be seen wearing wealth the likes of which all but the most powerful have ever seen before.”

Lew stopped speaking and suddenly felt the need to lower his gaze and study the snow around Thane’s dragonhide boots. If Pantherlings could blush, he would certainly be doing so now. As it was, his face was hot with embarrassment. Test or not, he had never said so much, so openly, and certainly not to a Royal. He held his breath in anticipation of the rebuke that was certain to come.

Malachi, knowing how ill at ease Lew felt, said to everyone, "Without our desert robes, it would be as if we painted targets on our arses!"

"Indeed! Wearing our desert robes sounds wise." Xavier said, putting an end to the discussion, especially when Garnet nodded in agreement. Lew looked up in surprise. This was not at all what he had expected, and he began to breathe again.

"Well," Xavier said as he rose. "It is late. Unless someone has anything very pressing, I will cast the wards, and then seek my tent for the evening."

Since no one else brought up anything, he moved off. Slowly the rest went in search of their own tents, while Malachi and Lew went to check on the progress the locals were making with the dragon.

Gradon walked into Mablin's tent without knocking or anything else. He was one of the few that could. He grunted with approval when he saw that Mablin's personal slave, Orla, had put out the coffee. Glancing over, he noticed that Mablin's mug was empty so he filled two mugs worth of the hot brew. Moving back to the table, Gradon placed one mug in front of Mablin, then the other in front of his seat. Next, he reached into his belt and pulled out a flask. Mablin grunted in approval as Gradon poured a little into each mug. He paused and then grinned a bit before adding another splash to each.

"Well, did you sleep?" Gradon asked as he sat down.

"Sleep?" Mablin growled with a grin. "What is sleep?"

"Yeah, same here. So what kept you up?"

"With the help of those Rhinoling kids, and the others, we combined enough wagons to where we will be able to have three large wagons to go to Silverton with," Mablin said with a sigh,

"Wow, that is more than I thought we would have."

"Indeed. I also spoke again with Prince Thane. He has agreed that his group will join us on our trip to Silverton."

"That is good to hear," Gradon said with a sigh. "I was very concerned, to be honest, I still am. Word will spread quickly about this dragon. I can think of many people who would do whatever they had to, to gain control of a fully cleaned dragon… or even part of one, for that matter."

"So can I." Mablin agreed gravely. "That is one of the reasons I am willing to pay for the townsfolk to help us, as well as pushing Frederick to leave by midday."

"That is probably a good idea. If we keep pushing we may be able to set out for Silverton tomorrow. The problem is how to preserve that much meat, all the organs, and the blood. I am not sure how we will be able to."

Mablin nodded but smiled. "I have a solution to that problem… I think."

"Oh?"

"From what we have been told, the little half-elf is a Shaman. If he is anywhere near as skilled as the others we had dinner with, then he should be able to easily preserve everything we need."

"That would be very useful." Gradon smiled and nodded. He then drained the last of his coffee in one big gulp then stood. "Well, I had better go see how Madelyn is. She decided that she wanted to talk to that Dragonling before we take Aegir to see him."

"I must say their brief description of the way they train their youth is an interesting one. Are you planning on allowing Aegir to learn under this Teacher?" Mablin’s voice was tinged with concern.

"I really do not think Aegir would allow us not to," Gradon said with a half-hearted smile before he turned to exit the tent.

Mablin spoke up, “Before you go, your sword is over there,” he said pointing to a table next to the tent flap. “They found it last night once they moved the rib cage. That dwarf… Malachi cleaned it up for you.”

Madelyn took a deep breath as she walked into the camp of the weird group of children. She was wondering if it was a good idea to bring Bruin with her as she saw the other animals raise their heads and look at them with interest.

Looking around for a moment, she saw who she was looking for, and changed her direction to approach him. She had been around many Dragonlings in her time and knew Garnet was not a large one, although she had never seen one that looked like he did.

Garnet paused his conversation with Xavier when he noticed the woman walking toward them. He stood a bit straighter while turning to fully face her. Touching a crystal on his armor, he activated a translation stone.

He knew who she was, and what she was there for. Suddenly he felt a bit nervous. To get past the unaccustomed feeling he took a moment to look over her Kulkodar. The Brass Lesser Dragon Kin was an impressive specimen. It was easily the same height as he was, well muscled, with a maw of wickedly sharp teeth. It was then that he understood the intimidation factor that Dragonlings had. It was the maw full of wickedly sharp teeth. The beautifully colored brass wings on its back were curled and relaxed, meaning the blades that rested on the front edge of the wings were furled inwards.

"Earl Stormrider." She said formally. Garnet's only response was to nod his head in the affirmative. "I am Madelyn, mother of Aegir. I am given to understand that you may be willing to mentor my son as a Spirit Warrior. Is this true?"

"It is true, yes," Garnet said with another nod of his head.

"Would I be permitted to inquire about what your mentoring might entail?" She asked almost painfully in her formality. She had no way of knowing at that moment that she was doing exactly as Garnet expected. Beside her Bruin, her Kulkodar, was relaxed but watchful, his eyes continually moving, taking in everything.

"I would expect you to. Honestly, I may have denied the request if you had not." His words caused her to let out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding. He motioned to the campfire ring and the logs that were arranged around it. "Would you like to sit while we discuss this?"

"Yes, thank you," Madelyn replied and followed him to the ring. He stopped at a table made out of wooden branches and limbs lashed together with rope. Garnet picked up two mugs and then filled them from a cask sitting on the table. He turned to join her and offered her a spot to sit and one of the mugs.

She wasn't sure why, but she was surprised at how… civilized he was. "This is quite good." She said after she took a sip and set the mug down. It did not escape her attention that the mug was made of pewter or the gems that were crafted into the side of the mug.

"Thank you," Garnet responded before taking a sip of his own, and also setting it down next to him. He took a few moments, looking to the sky to organize his thoughts. Finally, he lowered his gaze and studied her for a few moments before he spoke. "If Aegir were to formally ask for me to mentor him, I would first have to make sure he understood what I would require of him. Once I was satisfied that he truly understood, and wanted to be mentored, I would then make my decision."

"Please understand that this would be a commitment I would be making to the boy. The student is not the only one to make a commitment. I would dishonor my name if I were to be lacking in the training I provided." He paused to take a sip of the ale but mostly was deciding how to word what he needed her to know. "If I understand correctly, you are unaware of what a Spirit Warrior is, is that correct?"

"It is." Was her simple reply.

"Let me begin there then. History tells us that Spirit Warriors were created early in the Mythling Wars to combat the undead that the Mythings would use as shock troopers for their armies. We have the ability to damage most undead and incorporeal beings while easily sliding in and out of the Spirit Realm. Early on in our training, we are taught how to make even our mundane weapons able to damage those that normally only magic or silver can. As we grow in power, we are able to bring our armor and weapons into the Spirit Realm with us, using them to damage spirits as if we were in this realm." He fell silent allowing her to digest what he said, and to see if she had any questions.

If she did have questions, she held them to herself, so Garnet continued. "As for the mentoring, I would give Aegir, much of it would depend on where he is in his education, however, before I would pass him out of the preparation echelon, he would have to show that he had the basics of being able to read and write. He will have chosen two different languages that he wishes to learn. He will show basic proficiency with math and numbers.

“He would also have been exposed to as many subfields as I am able to arrange for him to experience, so that he may pick the two he likes the most. I would then see that he has the training he wishes. While it is his job to learn all I can teach, it is my job to make sure he never runs out of things to learn, no matter the pace he maintains.

“He would have to show basic competency in several different weapons, as well as hand-to-hand combat, and basic battle tactics. He will need to be able to identify the most common dangerous beings in the area, mundane or not, and what the best response to them would be. Finally, he would know how to quickly identify an enemy's field, subfield, strengths, and weaknesses. All this and more would be taught before he would learn the first detail of his field, and pass into the Training Echelon."

"Wow," Madelyn said softly, her mind reeling. The idea of having this much knowledge even before he started training was amazing to her. Although she can think back to times when she wished she knew some of the things that her son would be taught. Truth be told, Aegir knew some of this already, like the languages, reading, and writing, as well as the maths. "How much would this training cost us?"

Garnet stiffened, but then recalled Syth explaining that they had no idea of their customs. He relaxed and smiled slightly, knowing most people did not really want to see his teeth. "Teacher Madelyn. I am aware that we are in a strange time and a strange land, to us anyway. What you just asked me is something that many would take as a grave insult. We mentor younglings not for gold, but to pass along that which we have learned. There can be no greater reward than to know that your experiences are being passed along to someone who is worthy, and will respect the knowledge you gave them."

"I see," Madelyn said, her mind racing with thoughts, mostly centered on her brain screaming to her that no one does something for free, especially something that is as involved and long-term as this sounds. ‘People just do not do that. His people must be a strange lot to just give away this knowledge.

"Thank you," Madelyn said as she stood and stuck out her hand for Garnet to shake. "You have given me much to think about. I will need time to think, as well as consult my husband and explain to him what you have explained to me."

"Of course," Garnet said, still smiling. "If you have any questions or need clarification on anything, please ask."

"I will." She replied as she nodded and smiled at him, then turned and started to walk from the camp, Bruin right beside her.

"Are you ready?" Lucas asked as he stepped up next to his friend.

"I am." He said softly, and together they set off into the woods, hoping they could find the spot they needed quickly.

Killian was out of his depth. Ever since he killed the dragon, he'd been dealing with all this extra power inside. He was doubly glad that Uncle Mablin paid for that camp he attended. Yeah, he hated parts of it, and parts of it made him feel like jelly inside, but he had figured out it was worth it. Although, had it not been for the halfelf that was also there, he may not have learned as much as he had. Just watching as he dealt with everything gave Killian ideas on how to do a lot of what they were teaching. Being his tent mate was even better because they talked late into the night about everything magic. Which brought him to his current issue.

As he was taught, he woke before the sun this morning, and before he was about to get his force back, he spent all his force, casting. He was surprised by how much extra force he had. Then, once his force was depleted, he forced himself to cast more. It was easier to do than before, but still hurt. At least he didn't get physically sick this time.

When he had finished, he returned to the tent, meditated for a bit, then got dressed for the day. He almost forgot to strap on his new sword. The weird Drow kid told him he should get used to wearing it. With only a slight hesitation, he picked it up and strapped the Gladius to his waist.

He couldn't help himself and drew the sword, to look at the shiny silver blade. Suddenly, he felt an urge to push some of his force into it. He really wasn't sure why, but he did exactly as he felt he should. Allowing a little bit of his force to leak into the weapon. It suddenly got warmer in the tent, with heat radiating off the blade of the Gladius itself.

"By the gods… it be magical!" He whispered in shock. He let go of the heat, and the blade went back to normal. He hesitantly touched the bare metal, only to find it as cool as everything else around him. He shoved the blade back into its sheath, and tore out of the tent, needing to find his Uncle.

He found the man talking to some villagers and cursed his luck. He knew better than to interrupt his uncle, but at the same time, he was about to burst with the knowledge he had. Mablin must have seen the boy, especially how antsy he was, because he wrapped up his talk, and started to move to where Killian was standing. The boy couldn't wait for his uncle to get to him and bounded forward, grabbed the man's hand, and started to drag him toward the main tent.

"Killian!" Mablin cried out, but the boy didn't slow down. "What is the matter with you?" The boy still did not respond, and now they were only two steps away from the tent. Mablin was getting angry. There was so much to do, and he still had many issues to deal with. He couldn't deal with anything trivial right now.

Once inside the tent, and before Mablin could utter a word, Killian dropped his uncle's hand, spun around, and in a loud whisper hissed out. "It's magical!"

Mablin was prepared for many things, but this was not one of them. "Huh… what? What is magical?"

Killian took a step back and then drew the blade so fast it made Mablin jump back in shock. "Da sward! It be magical!"

If nothing else, his speech patterns showed the boy was close to an adrenaline overload. Mablin had been working with the boy ever since he 'adopted' him, and Killian was well-spoken now, as long as he wasn't too excited, then he reverted back to how he used to speak.

Killian pushed a bit of force into the blade. Just like before heat radiated outward. Mablin saw something else though. Just as he started to feel the heat roll off the blade, very fine red specks in the blade began to light up, just barely bright enough for him to see. He felt his heart stop.

He almost didn't want to tell Killian what to do next, but he had to know. "Turn it cold." Mablin barely whispered.

Killian furrowed his brow but then pushed some force into the blade again, only this time he thought about the cold. He shut it off quickly as the tent got much colder than it already was.

Mablin felt an icy fear encase his heart. This sword was indeed magic, but a dangerous magic. A magic from a dimly remembered time. It could be only one thing… This ancient artifact was a Frozen Flame weapon! If the accounts he had read were true, such weapons could cause untold harm in untrained hands. Killian… his Killian, was in great danger!!!

"By Hertzal's blade, it can not be!" Mablin said as he watched Killian resheath the sword. "Give me that blade!" Mablin hissed in a panicked voice.

"Wha?" Killian asked, completely confused.

"Take the blade off and give it to me!" He hissed again, trying to keep his voice low.

Unsure as to why, but knowing his uncle wouldn't tell him to do something like this without a reason, Killian unstrapped the blade as quickly as he could. As soon as Mablin had it in his hands, he turned and rushed out of the tent. It took Killian a moment to get over his shock before he ran to catch up. He had never seen his uncle acting like this.

Mablin was so focused on what was going on in his mind, that he didn't realize that Killian was right behind him, and Gradon was rushing to catch up. He had seen Mablin explode out of the tent and speed walk towards the other camp. Not knowing what was going on, he rushed to catch up.

Just as Mablin entered their camp, and spotted the boy he was looking for, his more rational mind finally got a single thought through. 'These kids are royalty!' That brought him up short but still did not calm him completely.

He slowed his steps as he approached where the Drow boy was sitting with the halfelf that got injured fighting the dragon. Mablin didn't know anything about him, but right now, Mablin's focus was on the Drow who rose to his feet when Mablin approached.

"Sir Mablin." Syth excitedly called out. "It is wonderful to see you. May I…" He started but got cut off by the man.

"I… I am sorry to interrupt you, but may I speak?" No matter what Mablin was feeling, the fact that these kids were royalty trumped all.

"Of course," Syth said as he motioned to a log that was being used as seats for them before he took his previous spot. Seeing Killian there, and Gradon quickly catching up, he frowned in confusion but also motioned for them to sit. Once they were, he turned to Mablin and spoke softly. "The floor is yours Sir Mablin, how may we help you?"

"This sword." He said holding up the sword that Killian was given. "I know you gave it to Killian, but meaning no disrespect, are you aware of what it is?"

"Yes…" Syth said drawing out the word. "It is just a Minor Frozen Flame."

"Just?!" Mablin cried incredulously. Gradon gasped as his eyes darted to the sword. He may not be as knowledgeable in magic as Mablin, but he knew weapons, especially mythical magical weapons.

"Do you feel it is not enough?" Syth asked with confusion written all over his face.

Mablin shook his head not knowing how to respond in a way that would not insult the boy. Gradon though was starting to put the pieces in place, especially after the discussion he had with his wife earlier.

"Sir Mablin," Xavier said as he stood. "We have not been properly introduced yet, but my name is Xavier Seandra." He took a few steps towards the agitated man. "I understand your fear, but things are not as they appear to you."

"He is right." Gradon insisted. "Please, hear them out." That more than anything else got through to Mablin. He trusted Gradon in ways he trusted no one else.

He took a few more deep breaths to try and calm himself down even more, then nodded to Xavier.

"Yes, the sword that you hold is a Frozen Flame. May I assume that they are not common at this time?"

"You could say that," Gradon spoke quickly.

"No, No they are not common. The only reason I even know about them is because I have read about them. I have never heard of anyone that had one, let alone would be willing to give such a priceless and dangerous artifact away."

"I see," Xavier said as he ran his hand over his face. Syth sat there wide-eyed starting to understand what was going on. "Sir Mablin, are you familiar with who created the Frozen Flame?"

"Huh?" Mablin was completely confused by the topic shift. However, he thought back to the books he read in Junsic. "If I remember what I read correctly, the Frozen Flame was created by an Alphar. Uhhh… something like Moonleaf."

"Starleaf," Xavier said softly. "Lord Gryffon Starleaf." Mablin nodded in agreement. "He was also the founder of the Great Alphar House known as the Griffin Spires, not just honoring his name, but also the Gryphons that lived there."

"Yes," Mablin said smiling, he did remember reading that.

"In your readings, did it mention who controlled the Griffin Spires, which house of Alphar?" Mablin shook his head in the negative. "I did not think so, the Alphar are secretive, and if they withdrew from the mortal realm thousands of years ago, then I can easily see most knowledge of their houses being lost. However, the House that controlled the Griffin Spires, and the magical forges within, the House that turned out Frozen Flames by the hundreds, was Wellaras… House Wellaras."

"Wellaras…" Mablin scratched his head knowing he had heard that name recently, but was not able to place it.

"Do you mean Prince Thane?" Killian asked. Both Mablin and Gradon gasped as they put it together. Looking at Xavier, Mablin's jaw fell open when Xavier simply nodded.

It was at this point that Mablin noticed that Xavier also wore a royal signet. His head was beginning to spin…

Syth spoke next, not knowing his words were really more than Mablin could handle. "We all have Frozen Flames, most of us have more than one. I prefer the Gladius that I have trained with and used in battle. So the blade I gave Killian was my spare."

Upon hearing that, Mablin’s mind began to swirl with thoughts of the Dragon Wars and how Frozen Flame was used with devastation. The fall of the Iron Fortress. The fall of the Drow. The withdrawal of the Alphar. Now, Frozen Flame weapons were back, and these strange children were armed to the teeth with them! It was too much, and Mablin fainted.

Gradon stood up, shaking his head. “I’m afraid after all that has happened in the last two days, you all have just done something I thought I would never live to see. I have never seen Sir Mablin so flustered that he fainted!” The Teaching Echelon Warrior Adept began laughing out loud.

Meanwhile, Killian had moved over to Mablin and was cradling his foster father's head. He moved his fingers and softly spoke a word or two, and a small cloud formed over Mablin’s head. Rain fell and Mablin began sputtering.

"I think this would be a good place," Lucas said as he looked around the clearing. They were in a rather deep hollow surrounded by the forest, meaning most noise would not travel far. They were several kilometers from where the dragon lay and the townsfolk were close to finishing what needed to be done.

Garnet started to slowly draw his weapons and armor into himself. He had to take a break in between each item as it hurt so bad that, even with his pain training, he had broken into a sweat. By the time he was done, he was on his knees shaking.

"Maybe you should take a break." Lucas offered, but Garnett's snarl made him take a step back.

"I can not protect my Prince without being able to shift. I will not be denied my true form any longer."

"I understand," Lucas said, trying to calm his friend. "However, one thing I learned a long time ago is that magic comes easier with a clear mind." He pointed to a tree a short distance away. "Perhaps you should take a few minutes to meditate, and find your center."

Garnet stood up, looked at the tree, and sighed. "Perhaps you are right. Father often told me I tried too hard, or I spent too much energy thinking rather than doing." Lucas knew that any mention of the king as 'father' meant that it was one of the times that the king would attend to his special children. It was not something that was done often, but when it was done, it left lasting impressions on the children.

He watched as his friend went to the tree, and slowly slid down it's base till he was seated on the ground. Lucas watched as Garnet drew in a deep breath and closed his eyes. Lucas smiled almost evilly as his eyes gleamed.

Lucas began to pull the ambient magic into himself. Slowly at first, but it grew till it was almost a visible shimmer around him. He knew that he was on a very dangerous path. It was one thing to do what he was about to do as a joke or prank.

What he was about to do now, was neither a joke nor a prank. The illusion Lucas was slowly weaving in and around Garnet’s mind was invasive and potentially humiliating. If it failed, the consequences would be dire.

There was an even chance that Garnet would not understand what he was about to do, and feel the need for vengeance. Lucas truly hoped that in this case, the ends would justify the means.

Time truly stopped having any meaning while Lucas slowly manipulated Garnet's very reality. The magic was altering not just what Garnet would see, smell, hear, and feel for the next several minutes, but also everything Garnet believed in, and knew to his very core.

Lucas was warned by his mentor that he was using the magic in ways that were very close to being considered dark. One mistake or incomplete strand could ruin the entire experience thus proving to have been at best, a waste of energy and time. Thankfully though, there was only one other being who knew how well his abilities had been honed, with the many hours of extended experience that had made this almost a game to the teen.

Meanwhile, Garnet thought back to his training, 'The ball of energy you know as your core, you must pull that onto and into yourself. Shape the magic around you as you know you are. Make the magic show you, your true self. Then push yourself to fill that space. Pull the energy you need from this, from the magic around you. Then push yourself to fill that, to become what you know you are.

Pain exploded through his very core, pain that wanted his expanding being to shrink back to what it used to be, but not what it truly was. What it wanted to be. What it NEEDS to be. He pushed back and fought with everything he had, but the pain was so intense, so real to him… so real!

"GARNET!" His Prince cried out. Garnet's eyes popped open. "HELP!"

His BROTHER'S body lay on the ground before him. Rage, helplessness, terror, and emotions he had never known flooded through his soul. He jumped to his feet, just as an old Great Brown landed next to the broken and bloodied body. It raised its forepaw over Xavier's throat.

The pain exploded away from him as his rage forced the barriers to explode outward. He felt his size explode outward. His shoulders sprouted wings, as his hind legs swelled with muscles capable of propelling his frame upward to catch the thermal rises. His neck elongated as did his muzzle. Hundreds of teeth exploded downwards to cover the breadth of his maw.

HE WAS HIS TRUE SELF! HE WAS WHO HE KNEW HIMSELF TO BE! HE WAS GARNET STORMRIDER, BLOOD BROTHER AND SWORN PROTECTOR OF PRINCE PSYEN-RAISIN XAVIER!

He launched himself at the Great, his muzzle directed at it's throat. Yes, they both may die in this fight, but it would be Garnet who was taken down first. His prince would never fall while he was drawing breath.

His roar was defiant and enraged, as he flew into the Great's mighty neck. Then his world collapsed. Around him was nothing but blackness. His roar of blood lust turned to one of fear and agony, even then, the roar faded to nothing more than a whimper. Garnet's body slammed into the ground, clearing almost a half acre of forest. His wings flailing everything around him. The true pain of forcing magic to do something it barely remembered it knew how to do. The pain of the shift on the first time was nothing compared to this. This was pain on a scale Garnet could not have known before. His vision darkened as his mind shut down.

Lucas collapsed. The effort that had taken was more than anything he had ever attempted in the past. But it was done. Before him quivered his friend Garnet, full in his True Dragon form.

"Well, that was fun," Lucas said a few minutes later as he pushed himself back to his feet. Garnet snaked his head back to look at Lucas with one eye. "More fun than either one of us should have ever been allowed," Lucas added with a pained grin.

Garnet's large eye looked at Lucas for many long moments before he forced himself to turn so he was facing his friend. He lowered his head to the ground in a long-necked nod. Lucas bowed in return. The silent conversation said more than words could have hoped.

Garnet spun around, then stopped. His long neck snaked back so he could look at Lucas. “You are a dick! Rovnar would be proud.” He then took two quick hopping steps, spread his wings wide, and with a roar thrust himself into the air.

Lucas let out a small laugh as he watched Garnet fly quickly out of sight. He shrugged to himself then moved over and sat down on one of the trees Garnet broke with his shift. He might be waiting there for a bit, while Garnet remembers how to fly.

Lew was coming to understand this very interesting group of children. It took him sitting at the campfire ring for several hours, just watching how they operated. Seeing who was talking to who and what each was working on. They were not all there, but Lew was starting to understand. Nimbi sat under his paw as he stroked her fur, but his eyes were moving, watching everything.

Before Frederick had left, with his part of the trading caravan, one of the leatherworkers delivered his package. Mablin tried to refuse payment, but Lew would not allow it. The package that now sat next to Nimbi was his, and his alone. Now he just needed the right time.

"There he is!" he heard a feminine voice exclaim.

"Right where we left him." Agreed a gruff voice. Lew did not have to turn around to know that Olpha and Malachi were approaching. Truth be told, with his hearing he heard Olpha first. She was not exactly the stealthy type.

Lew came to his feet and turned to face the two younglings. At that moment, Lew almost laughed at the dichotomy of the situation. Olpha was young, maybe a young teen or less, in equivalent years. However, she stood almost a head taller than Lew. Whereas Malachi, being a Dwarf… No, a Garm, meant that Malachi was a head shorter than Lew and was maybe even younger. The two of them standing side by side was almost comical. Not that he would dare appear to laugh at the Illorc. He knew better.

"Oh sit down!" Olpha said as she plopped herself down on one of the logs. "You need to get over the formal protocol stuff. We only do it when we have to, but amongst ourselves, we don't need to. And yes, that includes you." She giggled as she looked over to Malachi. "But since he is still standing, give him what we made."

"Yes MA'AM!" Malachi giggled as he brought his arm and closed his fist to thump his chest in a quick salute. He then jumped back as she attempted to backhand him. With a small laugh, he turned and walked over to Lew. "Your idea to have us wear our desert garb over our armor is a good one. However, you would look out of place if you did not have your own set. This is one of Xavier's extra sets, and we have taken the liberty to modify it for your tail and other physical differences."

"Thank… thank you," Lew said as the bundle was thrust into his hands. They spent the next fifteen minutes showing Lew how to wear it. He wanted to ask how they figured out how to modify the face mask to fit his slight muzzle, but it was as if the gear was made for a Pantherling. However, he was not comfortable enough to ask such questions. He was getting more comfortable with this group, but not yet to that level.

"Now remember, you will get so accustomed to wearing it, that you will forget it's there. If you are speaking to someone, remember to remove the face mask, or else all they will see is your eyes." Malachi explained as Lew finished making a few experimental rolls and jumps wearing the garb. He was impressed by how well it fit, and how well it stayed in place.

"By the gods, she is certainly a sight for sore eyes, and able to take the breath away from any dragon with just her looks." They heard Lucas expound, causing them all to turn in the direction the voice had come from.

"What did you do wrong now?" Olpha asked as she turned, though her grin was wide enough to show her tusks.

She may have had another comment but she stopped short as she saw the Illorc that was standing beside Lucas. "Garnet? What caused this?"

"That's Garnet?" Lew asked quickly, wondering how a Dragonling could suddenly be an Illorc.

"Yes, I am Garnet." The tall and very muscular Illorc replied.

"With the fact that no one seems to know about Sand Dragons, and given your initial… uhh… thought as to what he was, we figured it would be better for him to appear as an Illorc." Lucas explained.

"How is this possible?" Lew asked, trying to figure out what kind of magic could cast such a good glamour over someone.

"It is magic that I control," Garnet said while raising his hand and showing Lew a ring that sat next to his Signet. “This is a ring of illusion. It was made by one of our most powerful Mystics. The illusion is so complete that if you were to touch me, you would think you were touching a real Illorc!”

Lew absently nodded as he accepted the explanation without a question. They had already shown such powerful magic, it was hard not to believe. Had he trusted his gut more, he would have asked more questions, but now was not that time.

"So I see you were successful!" Xavier cried as he rushed over, taking Garnet by the shoulders, looking him up and down, then embracing him hard. The tears that Lew saw falling from Xavier's eyes caused even more questions to form in his mind. But again he didn't dare to air them, not at the moment anyway.

"Permission to enter!" Cried an adult male's voice. Xavier stepped back from his embrace and quickly wiped his face.

"Teacher Gradon, please join us at the fire pit," Xavier called out as he moved to his customary place. He took a deep breath and then plastered a smile worthy of Thane, on his face, just as Gradon, Madelyn, and Aegir came walking towards them. "Please sit and let us know what we did to deserve the honor of your visit."

They did not sit, rather Madelyn and Gradon stopped short, looking around. "Uhhh… I am sorry." Gradon said with confusion written on his face. "We were hoping that Earl Stormrider would be here."

"I am here," Garnet said with a grin that did not show as many teeth as usual, but it did show two impressive tusks. "I just decided that it would be easier for all involved if I looked like this, rather than a Dragonling from a race that no one remembers."

"I see," Gradon responded completely at a loss as to what else he could possibly say. The two adults looked at each other, and almost in synchronization, they shrugged, not sure what else this strange group of children could throw at them. However, they were here for something else entirely. With a barely perceptible motion, Gradon prodded Aegir in the back, causing him to jump slightly. The boy was trying to decide if this Illorc was more or less intimidating than the Dragonling.

He drew in a deep breath, hoping to bolster his confidence. As the air entered his lungs, he stood up taller, his chest puffed out slightly. His feet crossed the short distance till he was standing in front of the strange new Illorc that held the answers he so desperately needed. He started to speak only to have it come out as a squeak. He cleared his throat, and this time when he spoke, it came out clearly.

"Earl Stormrider… I am Aegir" He began trying to remember everything he and his mother spoke about. "I stand before you, a boy who has just learned that he is trainable as a Spirit Warrior. As the highest-ranking Spirit Warrior here, I would ask that… That you take me under your wing and teach me the ways of the Spirit Warrior."

Garnet made a show of studying the boy, walking around him, looking him up and down, even wrapping a six-fingered hand around Aegir's upper arm to see the muscle tone. Both Madelyn and Gradon thought he looked like someone appraising a slave he wished to buy.

"Tell me, boy." Garnet started out in a voice that was flat and neutral. "What do you think you would be required to do if I accept?"

This was not what Aegir expected. He did not expect to be challenged. His mind raced. "Well. I guess I would be required to try and learn what it is you teach. I would…"

"No." Garnet snapped, causing most there to jump a bit. "There is no try in training. Either you do something, or you are still working towards achieving the goal set for you." Garnet stepped a bit closer, now looking down on the boy. "Now continue."

"Uhhh…" Aegir started to turn to look at his parents when Garnet snapped again.

"NO! You look at me! Not them. They cannot help you with this decision, and if I actually accept your request, they will no longer be in control of your life. You alone would control that, and I would be guiding you. If you fear you are still too young for that responsibility, say so now, and we can waste no more time on the topic."

Aegir wanted to shrink before the glare of the huge Illorc in front of him, he wanted to run to his mother for comfort and his father for protection. A small voice entered his mind. "Do not let him frighten you. You are worthy, you just need to make him see it."

Aegir screwed up his courage, slowly raising his head til his eyes were staring into those black pools of fire that were Garnet's eyes. It took him a few moments to make the words come out, but he finally succeeded. "If you agree." He began, his voice gaining strength as he spoke. "If you were to agree to teach me, I would be required to learn. As much as I can, and as much as you allow. But in the end, I would be required to learn."

Silence reigned in the camp for what seemed like hours as the two held each other's gaze. Finally, the corner of Garnet's mouth twitched. Then it twitched again. Finally, he could hold it no longer. He stepped back, threw his head backward, and howled in laughter. Aegir got mad, was this Illorc laughing at him?

Garnet moved forward quickly and dropped to a knee. His laughter was gone, but his grin remained. "My boy, I do not think I have ever heard of a better answer. The gods know I wish I would have answered as you have. As it was, I soiled myself while I wilted under the stare of my mentor." Garnet stood up fully and looked down at Aegir. "Aegir, it would be an honor to help guide your training."

Aegir lost it, he ran forward and wrapped his arms around Garnet's waist, repeating thank yous over and over. Finally Garnet gently pushed him back. "You are most welcome." Garnet's voice was suddenly very warm and caring. "Your first task is this. Gather whatever you believe you will want or need. From this moment on, you sleep when I do, and where I do."

Aegir was perplexed and he looked back to his mom for help. She smiled and motioned for him to come to her. When he got there, she used his shoulders to point him towards their camp. "Come, I will help you pack." She made sure he did not see the tears falling from her eyes.

"You know, part of me is scared to be going to dinner with them this evening," Gradon said as he adjusted the last strap on his best armor. This was what he would wear to greet town watch commanders or even Magistrates. But wearing it now seemed entirely underwhelming.

"I agree," Madelyn added as she smoothed out her clothing. "Part of me wanted to go through the wagon with all the fine clothing on it before Frederick left, but we never had time.”

"It would not have helped." Mablin retorted with a smirk. "I know every bit of what was on that wagon. None of it would have been good enough for what these kids see as rags."

"Thank you for making me feel better." Gradon dry panned as he turned and walked out of the tent. Madelyn was right behind him. Mablin gave a bit of a nervous chuckle as he motioned for Killian to exit the tent and join him.

The four walked across the now-empty camp. Since the rest of the caravan left earlier, only Mablin's tent still stood. Gradon and Madelyn's tent was already packed in one of the remaining wagons, as was Killian's. Because they were leaving in the morning anyway, everyone agreed it would be easier to just stay in Mablin's tent that evening.

When they entered the kid’s camp, they were surprised not to find anyone. They looked toward where the campfire was only to find it cold and empty. "I guess it's this way," Gradon said as he pointed to an area that had a faint glow of torches.

When the torches came into view, they were all a little confused. The torches lit an opening into the woods that had not been there before. Standing next to the torches were Lew and Aegir, both wearing desert garb, with the head scarves pulled up so only their eyes were visible.

As they approached the pair said nothing and didn't move, except to follow them with their eyes. When they got close, both took one step forward and then bowed low at the waist. The group stopped and the two rose but kept their eyes lowered. After a moment, Lew spoke. "If it pleases you, we will take your weapons and make sure they are properly oiled and sharpened before the night is over. You may keep your secondary weapons if you wish."

Remembering the conversation last night, Mablin undid his sword belt. His action spurred the others to follow suit and hand their weapons to the smaller Aegir. "Your Hosts are eager to greet you. Follow me please." Lew said once everyone was set. He then turned and started down the path.

Gradon wondered how a path could have been made this easily in dense wood like this. He even saw a few places where small trees were ripped out of the ground. In other places, the trees were bent over till they broke. The other thing that shocked him was the path was lit with Daggers of Light. A score or more daggers, all placed with the tip of the blade in something, and the rest of the blade shining brightly. He wasn't sure what it was that Mablin was muttering, but he thought he could guess.

They walked for what had to have been a quarter turn of a sand glass before the woods opened up into a clearing. What they saw made them stop dead in their tracks. In front of them stood what looked to Mablin like a two-story hunting lodge… for a God.

The entire structure had a brownish-red tint to it, from the wood used to build it. Along one side held their Sand Skimmers, each one in their own stall. The group's slaves, the two young Rhinolings, and the Green/Black Dragonling were busy making sure the creatures had both food and water.

The front facade had two windows with glass, one on each side of the double doors. As they got closer, they could see scrollwork on the wood. Closer still they saw that the entire structure was carved with scenes of griffons. Out front were four cooling cookfires, and the aroma of cooked meat wafted across the entire area.

As far as Mablin could tell, this building had been here for a long time. In what seemed like a magical trance, the four awe-struck guests followed Lew up the two steps where he opened both doors wide, and walked in.

"My Lords and Lady, may I introduce our guests for the evening? Sir Mablin, Expert Mage. Warrior Adept Teacher Gradon, and his wife, Animal Adept Teacher Madelyn. As well as Sorcerer Teacher Killian, the Ward of Sir Mablin." Killian stumbled a bit on the last step as his new echelon was spoken out loud.

Mablin stopped, his mouth open and his eyes slowly taking in every detail of the cabin. There were two different floor-to-ceiling tapestries, one depicting a large group of griffins flying in formation, their riders holding long banners flowing behind them as they flew. The other portrayed a huge aerial battle between griffin riders and demon-like flying creatures.

There was only one room that he could see, but doors told him there were more. The part they were in was certainly meant to be a reading room or the like. The floor was littered with large fluffy pillows, placed on a thick plush rug. 'Who has a rug like this?!' Mabin screamed into his own mind.

"Ahhhh!" Thane cried as he turned and rushed over to them. "I’m so pleased you are here. Welcome! Feel free to make yourself at home." His face turned a bit sheepish for a moment. "I know it's not much, but this cottage was all I was allowed to bring with me in a war zone, which is where we were right before we were sent here." He motioned for the four of them to follow him into the main area of the cottage.

Even as they moved deeper into the room, Mablin's eyes were in constant motion, trying to take in everything he possibly could. In each corner, there was a wooden statue of an Alphar in their armor. The center of the room boasted a long low table made of intricately carved rosewood, boosting more scenes of griffons.

"Sir Mablin!" Lucas cried out with excitement as he rushed over to them. "We are so very happy that you are here." He took Mablin's hand and shook it intensely. "I would love to introduce you to the most beautiful creature in the world…" He said as he was looking around. "AH! There she is!" He said pointing to where the two Orakin stood. He lowered his voice as he stepped closer. "She is the pretty one." He broke up with laughter at his own joke, then hollered across the room. "Olpha! You need to meet everyone!"

She walked over with Garnet behind her, and Xavier trailing. As soon as she got close Lucas took two quick steps and jumped into her arms. "Uhhhh!" She said as he reached up and kissed her cheek.

"Is not she the most beautiful creature to ever grace these lands?" Lucas said while 'laying' in her arms.

"That is now two punishments you are getting. Do you want more?" She said in a voice stern enough to make Gradon wish he had it when dealing with unruly students.

"Yes please!" He said excitedly, to which she just dumped him on the floor in front of her.

"Lucas, could you please refrain from making our guest further question our sanity?" Xavier deadpanned.

"If they do not question it already, I have no idea what else we would need to do," Malachi said with his trademark jovial boom.

"I know we have all been busy today, so I think it might be best if we all prepare our plates…" Thane looked down for a moment, then sheepishly looked back up. “I truly wish we had the servants to make this a proper welcoming dinner, but, alas, we do not have any yet that we could use."

"It is fine Prince Thane," Mablin said not believing the fact the boy was upset they didn't have servants there. The others of the group all waited, clearly telling the guests to go first, so Mablin led his group to where the food had been prepared.

Mablin almost stumbled as he took in the opulence. The plates were glass with a silver trim around the edges. He was positive that it was pure silver and not just colored. The utensils were true SILVERware. The mugs were pewter, again with a silver band around the top.

He glanced over and saw that indeed the rest were using them so, against almost every grain of his being, Mablin reached out and took a glass plate, actual silverware, and the pewter mug, and began to fill his plate with food.

In yet another trance, Mablin led his group over to where the children had been talking near the head of the table. "Ahh good we can sit," Thane said when he got there.

Before anyone could move, Syth slapped Thane hard on the back of the head. "What happened to the 'informal'?"

"Oh yeah!" Thane said with a laugh. He set his plate down, went back to the front of the cabin, grabbed one of the large pillows, and dragged it over to where everyone was. He then grabbed his plate and mug and flopped down on the large pillow, almost being swallowed by it. "Let us chat!" He looked over and saw Lew who was still standing by the main door, hand on the hilt of his sword. "Hey Lew! Stop working already. Take that thing off, fill up a plate, and join us!"

 

Copyright © 2023 Roland; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 8
  • Haha 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Xavier holds Lew in great regard, evidenced by his gifting him with his own bow crafted from his kill of a Great Brown dragon. Even though Lew realizes how exquisite the bow is, he doesn't know how precious it was to Xavier.

It's almost comical as Lew is learning to fit it amongst this amazing group.

Garnet was able to shift into his true form finally and disguise himself by magic. Imagine how terrified the others would be if they knew both a true and great dragon were in their midst.

Killian recalls being at camp training in casting magic and having a half elf as his tent mate. Could this half elf have been Kandric? He was sent for this type training.

It is going to be very hard for them to tone down their lifestyle.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

I appreciate how carefully the story of those from Seandra is unfolding. They are learning to adapt and have found out how much they stand out and how they must adjust to not attract attention, if they really can. It is not just they are royalty with unheard of powerful weapons and uncommonly skilled fighters, it is that they are children as Lew notes. They are shocking those around them

.

Garnet successfully changed into his true dragon form so he could best protect Xavier. Lucas helped him. With the help of a magic ring he now maintains the illusion of an Illorc or Orakin as he was termed at the end of the chapter. He will surprise any serious attacker. In his new form, he accepted Aegir to be his student in preparation to be a spirit warrior.

The ending scene in Thane's 2 story lodge is stunning. The art and wealth and lifestyle displayed was other worldly. I am looking forward to the questions from Mablin and the answers from Xavier. Mablin does not know what to make of Xavier. I doubt Xavier can truth away from Mablin for much longer.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Only 2 comments for this chapter?

I guess contrasting the difference between the 2 cultures isn't that interesting or possibly worthy enough to comment on.

  • Wow 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Am I correct in thinking it's possible for magic users, if they know how, and other dragons to see through the glamour of the shift and see Xavier and Garnet's true forms?

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wow 2
Link to comment

Maybe enough have read it elsewhere to not want to read the same thing again? 

As for me, the story is compelling, and I like the chance to add comments.

I am also hoping the story moves beyond the former text.

  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
1 minute ago, akascrubber said:

Maybe enough have read it elsewhere to not want to read the same thing again? 

As for me, the story is compelling, and I like the chance to add comments.

I am also hoping the story moves beyond the former text.

Me too.

  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

drpaladin I guess we will find out when and if magic users can see the true forms of Garnet and Xavier. So far no one has seen Garnet's true form,

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
2 minutes ago, akascrubber said:

drpaladin I guess we will find out when and if magic users can see the true forms of Garnet and Xavier. So far no one has seen Garnet's true form,

Xavier knew Garnet had successfully shifted, but it wasn't clear how. Was it because he was using the magic ring to look like an Ilorc or could he see his real form?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
23 minutes ago, Al Norris said:

Only 2 comments for this chapter?

I guess contrasting the difference between the 2 cultures isn't that interesting or possibly worthy enough to comment on.

Now you have more comments.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
29 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Am I correct in thinking it's possible for magic users, if they know how, and other dragons to see through the glamour of the shift and see Xavier and Garnet's true forms?

Without giving anything away, yes. There are several ways.

27 minutes ago, akascrubber said:

Maybe enough have read it elsewhere to not want to read the same thing again? 

As for me, the story is compelling, and I like the chance to add comments.

I am also hoping the story moves beyond the former text.

I will say that a bunch of new text has been added to each chapter... Even if you don't recognize or even realize it.

17 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Xavier knew Garnet had successfully shifted, but it wasn't clear how. Was it because he was using the magic ring to look like an Ilorc or could he see his real form?

First, there is no magic ring involved - David is going to hate me for saying this!

Second, Garnet is not an Illorc.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
27 minutes ago, Al Norris said:

First, there is no magic ring involved - David is going to hate me for saying this!

Second, Garnet is not an Illorc.

So, a second shifted form.

Orakin.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
32 minutes ago, Al Norris said:

I will say that a bunch of new text has been added to each chapter... Even if you don't recognize or even realize it.

Like the little clues connecting the stories.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Thanks all, and yes, there are more chapters written, when GA gets to the same place as the Castle, then I will be posting new stuff.  The same goes for Beyond the Crags.  
 

also I do enjoy and appreciate the comments I am getting here.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
43 minutes ago, Roland said:

Thanks all, and yes, there are more chapters written, when GA gets to the same place as the Castle, then I will be posting new stuff.  The same goes for Beyond the Crags.  
 

also I do enjoy and appreciate the comments I am getting here.  

Thank you! 

I've been enjoying these stories very much!

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..