Jump to content
    Roland
    • Author
  • 9,551 Words
  • 440 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Sands of Time - 8. Chapter 8

Lew rode atop ‘Thunder’, the horse that Mablin was kind enough to lend him. He was especially glad for the desert robes that Malachi and Olpha had given him. They certainly helped keep the hard driving snow out of his eyes. He chuckled to himself, thinking about Malachi’s comment about his having a fur coat. With mock seriousness, Malachi had announced that he was considering skinning him so he could stay warm too. Then he went on to add that there would not be enough for a proper coat… and the color was just wrong for him.

Lew was unaccustomed to a group like this. Mostly, they were so open and friendly, but at other times terrifyingly, deadly serious. He knew one thing, he was glad he was on the good side of this group, rather than the bad, and he wanted it to stay that way.

Listening to them reminisce about where and when they came from, they laughed about things that would have given Lew night terrors. They talked about fighting dragons as if it were an everyday occurrence. That was so alien to Lew, that he had to force himself not to scoff, while they chortled.

Last night Malachi brought up the time they had to fight an undead dragon. Just the words alone were enough to make Lew dampen his loincloth, and he was not ashamed to admit it. But they laughed about that battle too!

Pantherlings by their very nature are solitary creatures. They gather in towns only because, in their service to the Silver Dragons, it is expected of them. The Silvers had never asked them to dedicate their lives. However, Pantherling Honor demanded no less. Very few people, outside of the Pantherlings themselves, knew why they served the Silvers, but as young cubs, they learned why. Each and every cub not only understood why, but they accepted the duty and honor that their forebearers had placed on them.

Lew steered his horse closer to Mablin’s wagon as they entered a small, steep sided canyon. It afforded some protection from the wind that was being funneled down from the higher mountains. These were merely the foothills. The wind made him shiver a bit, but his mind continued with his thoughts.

Even when a Pantherling went out to make their way in the world, it was expected that they would aid any Silver they found. They never swore an oath to the Silvers, nor have the Silvers ever asked for such. The Pantherlings would always remember where they had come from, and why they still existed as a race. No oath could be more binding than that.

It was the stories that were told of the past that drew him to think about this group of friends. No, friends was not the right word, they were comrades in arms, even more, a family who had shed blood together. They had a bond that was stronger than blood ties, forged in the white hot fires of battle. And they had invited him into this… this… family.

How could he not accept? What person could glimpse even a small bit of what he had seen, and not dedicate every fiber of his being to this group, as they would dedicate every fiber of their being to him. To be found, and taken in, by a group like this, was the stuff of legends. Which made perfect sense to Lew, since they were from the time when the legends themselves began.

He raised his hand, and looked at the bow that sat in it. A bow made of a dragon that Xavier had brought down by his own hand. A quiver of arrows hung across his back, and he knew that there were indeed magical arrows in there. He was not told as much, but why else would the fletchings be dyed different colors, and have fletching made of different animals.

He wondered yet again why they had picked him. What was it that they saw in him that he could not see in himself? He grew up in a poor farming village. He had no education before he tested true. He learned to speak properly, how to read and write, only because he wanted to know how. Sighing, he looked at the bow once more and knew that he held more wealth in his hand than his entire village possessed. He did not understand why, in just the few days he had been with them, they had gifted him with such a treasure as this bow. While he may not have understood why they had chosen him, he was glad they did and he would do everything in his power to make sure they never regretted that decision.

On the edge of the road next to where he was riding, Nimbi, his Panther, stiffened and emitted a low growl. Suddenly alert, Lew’s eyes darted around to see what made his companion react. He saw the arrow after it was already in flight and watched as it embedded deep into Mablin’s chest. AMBUSH! he cried, just as the world around him exploded with the sound of many voices screaming war cries.

Instinctively he mentally backtracked where the arrow had come from. At the same time he reached for a red fletched arrow while raising his bow. Seeing a small group of archers standing on the ridgeline above, with bows drawn and pointing down at the caravan, Lew drew the arrow back to his cheek, exhaled, and released. The thought that the arrows might be magical was proven correct. His aim was true and the arrow hit the target, killing the bowman in a fireball that blew the others around him a few meters away. Had Lew been up on the ridge he would have seen that all that remained of the bowman were a pair of scorched and smoldering legs. However, from his vantage point down below, of the target, there was nothing left to be seen.

Lew glanced at the wagon where Mablin had been sitting, and saw the older of the two rhinolings pull the man down. The boy and his sister immediately shielded him with their own bodies, trying to protect him from further harm. More arrows fell, and a few sank into the leathery hide of the boy’s back.

Ahead of where Lew was positioned in the caravan, Lucas and Thane had been talking about Madelyn’s reaction to finding out that Bruin could speak. They were just exiting the canyon when they heard Lew’s cry, followed by the blast. Both spun in their saddles to look back.

On both sides of the canyon walls, they saw several bowmen aiming down towards the caravan. “Go!” Thane cried as he pulled his reins to the left, and spurred his skimmer to a dead run up the steep incline. No horse could hope to make this ascent, but the ten legged skimmer took the incline as if it was flat land. “AMAKIIR! ATTACK!” He cried out while drawing his scimitar. He needn’t worry about ordering the Bear Scorpions to attack.

On the other side of the road from Thane, Lucas had also set his Skimmer to climbing. Meanwhile he pulled two of his throwing spikes and sent them flying. He cursed as neither hit a target, but a moment later they returned to his wrist holder for another chance.

Behind them, Xavier and Syth had been riding in front of Mablin’s wagon, chatting about Syth’s decision to wear the bracers. They didn’t need Lew’s warning. Suddenly a dozen or more reavers seemed to materialize out of the blizzard in front of them. All of them were armed, and en masse they let out war cries, and charged.

While they had been ambushed a few times in the past, it was unusual. The only way the undead could manage an ambush, was when an undead of greater intelligence or a Brown Mage controlled them. But this howling mob was very much alive. Either way, by the time Lew’s warning was heard, both Xavier and Syth had drawn their weapons, and were engaging the enemy.

Syth took in everything in a moment. His eyes darted around trying to find anyone with a book. Spell casters were always his first target. He did not see any book wielders, but what he did see was that most of the rabble attacking them were young.

The exception was one adult male who was directing the brigands on who and how to attack. He also took note of the fact that all the younger ones were wearing a mix of armor, and their weapons did not look comfortable in their hands. The man however, wore a full suit of chain, and the sword he carried, looked like it not only belonged in his hands, but was a part of him. In that instant, Syth identified him as the greatest threat.

Being a Wolverine Sect Warrior, Syth kicked his skimmer, and headed directly toward the adult reaver. He pulled a rod from his belt, spoke a short phrase, commanding the rod to extend into an already strung bow. A moment later, an arrow was flying towards the man. Two ruffians tried to get in the way of his charge, but the skimmer was so well trained, it only moved enough to make sure it trampled them both with as many legs as possible. Syth was glad that the skimmers were trained by the best, so they all knew how to use their many legs and broad chest to the greatest devastation in a fight.

Xavier made the snap decision that there were too many to use spells against. He drew his Morning Star, and holding it high, he attacked. Using his legs to control his skimmer, he pulled it hard to the left, trusting Syth to deal with those on the right. The Morning Star rose and fell with calculated devastation, shattering bone and splattering blood, all the while, his skimmers legs kicked out in all directions.

At the back of the caravan, Olpha and Garnet were chatting about what Aegir had been asking about the night before, when they heard Lew’s cry. Before they could do anything else, the sound of a mob erupted from behind them. As one they spun their skimmers around, Olpha drawing both of her battle axes.

“Stay here!” Garnet ordered Aegir, as he waited to see what they were facing before he chose his weapon. Seeing a large group of mostly humans, he drew his large khopesh, and spurred his skimmer towards them, searching for a target. He let the Skimmer deal with anything that was not really a threat to them.

Olpha’s eyes were looking for anyone casting, and she found one. She was thankful that her father had spent months designing her axe handles so that she could cast while her hands were inside the hilt of the axes. Once her target was found, she started to cast one of the fastest offensive spells she knew. Before her skimmer had reached speed, she pushed her fingers out, and from them erupted arrows of pure force. They sped through the air as fast as an arrow, and slammed into the chest of the woman with a book. It was not nearly enough to kill her, but it did make her take several steps backwards, and drop her book.

Gradon had been speaking with Madelyn when Lew’s cry erupted from the front. He was about to spur his horse and move forward when he heard cries from the rear. “Aegir…” Madelyn called out as she drew her weapon.

Gradon pulled hard on the reins and spun his horse in the direction of the rear of the caravan. “Bruin! Go with him!” Madelyn ordered, but it was too late, Bruin was already beside Gradon, no order needed. They passed by Malachi just as the young dwarf released two throwing axes, one from each hand.

Up on the ridge, Thane was just reaching the first attacker when he heard a tree crashing to the ground several meters to his right. As his scimitar slashed open the chest of the marauder, he grinned knowing one of his Bear Scorpions was about to make its presence known.

Lucas was on the other side of the canyon, and saw two of the reaver bowmen close to the edge, preparing to fire on the caravan below. His face took on a feral grin as he started to weave the flows of magic around himself. Less than a moment later, he thrust his hands out and a strong gust of wind slammed into both of them causing them to lose their balance and fall down the steep cliff.

Pulling his axe hammer free, he jumped from the back of his skimmer, just in time to feel tremors reverberating through the ground. The other Bear Scorpion had arrived on the scene. He wasn’t sure which amused him more, the wide eyed look of shock on the two remaining ambushers, or the hungry growls from behind him.

The momentum of Xavier’s Morning Star wasn’t even slowed as it smashed the bronze sword, which the brigand below him was trying to use to block his strike. Continuing relentlessly onward it smashed into the living tissue and bones of its face. He used the momentum of the swing to bring his weapon high, and then brought it down hard to smash into the skull of yet another reaver. An arrow whizzed by his side and impacted into a different reaver, this one starting to cast a spell. While it wasn’t a kill shot, it did sink hard into its shoulder.

A short distance away, Nimbi was locked in fierce combat with a pair of mastiff war dogs. While there were two of them, Nimbi used her speed and agility to great effect. All three showed signs of battle, but the dogs were clearly on the losing end.

On the other side of the road, Syth’s eyebrows rose as the man used the sword to swat his arrow away. In the blink of an eye, Syth knelt on his skimmer, drew, and loosed a second arrow, this one with red fletching. As one, Syth and his skimmer veered to the side as the man swatted this arrow away as well. The problem was, as soon as his sword hit the arrow, it exploded into a fire ball held within the projectile.

Syth ran over two other thugs as he pulled the skimmer around, and quickly dismounted, leaving his bow draped over the pommel of his skimmers saddle. His feet hit the ground with his renders in his hands. An instant later, with barely a conscious thought, both blades had been bloodied by two young louts that ran at him.

His eyes searched for the man and found him getting back to his feet, fadusting himself off, looking a bit singed around the edges, but otherwise unharmed. “Oh shit.” Syth said softly, while his renders drank the blood of yet another attacker.

Lew’s eyes went wide as he reflexively kicked his horse to a full gallop. He had just loosed an arrow on a spell caster who had been targeting Xavier, when he saw a Half Orc angling to get behind His Prince. He couldn’t hit it without risking hitting Xavier too. He drew his sword and charged. His shout was drowned out in the din of combat. Warning Xavier was not possible. He wasn’t sure if he was going to arrive in time. He kicked his horse hard once again, then launched himself over the horse's head and slammed into the half orc just as it was slashing at Xavier. Pain exploded throughout Lew’s body as he slammed into the Half Orc. His momentum sent both of them to the ground, impacting hard, and tumbling.

The adrenaline flowing through Lew’s body kept him from feeling the extent of his injuries, allowing him to focus on the Half Orc that was already coming to his feet. Reflexively, his eye sought out guild pins. While Lew was a high secondary Druid, if this brigand was gilded in a martial field, and had any skill, it could spell very real trouble for him.

Not seeing any pins, he breathed a brief sigh of relief. He got to his feet just before his opponent did, which allowed him to spare a glance at Xavier. The young half elf prince had already dispatched one of the three thugs he was facing, and looked to be holding his own. Thus reassured, Lew focused on the Half Orc.

 

Olpha grinned as both her axes were repeatedly slicing into those attacking them. She was quickly past the group, and spun her Skimmer around. Since they had ten legs, the Skimmer was almost able to rotate in place.

She had to squeeze hard with her legs to stop herself from being thrown off the back as Shadowfoot, her Skimmer, lunged back into the battle. Feeling her off balance, Shadowfoot altered course slightly so it trampled a reaver, rather than forcing Olpha to try an attack while off balance. She dropped two more attackers before she stopped, looking for more enemies. It was at this point she felt the sting. Glancing down, she noticed an arrow sticking out of her thigh.

 

Garnet did not have to search long for a target, as one presented itself quickly. It was a large Orc. Garnet smiled as he jumped down from Thunder Step, smacking her on the rump. Thunder Step quickly moved off to the side, kicking an archer who had just loosed an arrow.

The Orc swung its large war hammer around trying to demonstrate just how well it knew how to use it. This was a common mistake made by those who are trying to intimidate opponents. Garnet was not intimidated. The creature’s clumsy actions revealed that he was not as well trained as he might like to think. The Orc’s first charging attack was easily sidestepped by Garnet.

Instead of attacking the Orc, Garnet focused on a small human right behind it. Swinging his Khopesh in a wide arc, the Eldwar blade easily parted the bronze armor, and his strength was more than sufficient to divide the small screaming human in half.

Garnet’s eyes were back on the Orc long before his body finished its spin and he was again ready for the Orc to attack. When the Orc did, it swung hard at Garnet’s chest. Garnet ducked low and with a tight controlled arc of his blade, he took the Orc’s left leg out, shearing it clean between the hip and knee. Knowing full well that any threat from that quarter was no longer a concern, Garnet was already looking for another target before the Orc hit the ground howling in agony.

 

Gradon drew his horse up short, having arrived in time to see the Orc drop. There were no enemies left standing. Both Olpha, sitting on her Skimmer, and Garnet standing tall amidst the bodies, were still looking for trouble, and finding none.

He glanced at Aegir who had his sword drawn, but otherwise was following orders and staying put at the back of Malachi’s wagon. The look in his eyes though, let Gradon know he had witnessed something pretty amazing. Considering the number of bodies on the ground, and the short time it took him to get there, he could understand his son’s expression. He was almost as astonished, but he was also quite impressed. Hearing combat coming from the front, Gradon spun his horse, and kicked it up to a gallop.

Meanwhile, Malachi was grumbling while he cleaned blood off of only one of his throwing axes. The other one, now safely tucked away in his belt… had missed.

 

Suiadan, Thane’s male Bear Scorpion, and the one that was actually bonded to him, pulled back a small body that was impaled on it’s stinger. With a flick of his tail, he whipped it off, letting it fly at another archer, catching her full in the chest, sending both over the edge. The third threw his bow down and tried to run. Effortlessly, Thane caught up to him, and used the flat of his blade to smack him across the back of his head, throwing him to the ground face first and unmoving.

 

Lucas touched his translation crystal and spoke to the two terrified teens in front of him. “Either throw your weapons down, or I will let my friend here have an early lunch.” Weapons dropped, as did the ears of a very disappointed Bear Scorpion.

 

Xavier was breathing hard as he dispatched the last of three opponents. He looked around and saw Lew going toe to toe with a large Half Orc. He could see blood coming from Lew's stomach, and the odd way his tail was dragging. He was about to go help, when he heard a scream from behind him.

Spinning around he saw a human who had a shimmering javelin sticking out of her thigh. As the javelin began to disappear, Xavier kicked her weapon aside, and then with a quick movement with his offhand, he drew, then thrust his Falcata into her chest, and through her heart. As he withdrew the blade, he did a quick shift of the blade's angle and took her head off.

Xavier quickly looked to where the javelin had to have come from and saw Killian standing in his wagon. As Killian wiggled his fingers and his mouth uttered a spell, another javelin shimmered into his hand. Killian immediately threw the weapon. Xavier watched as the spear-like device impaled yet another attacker.

 

Syth ignored the moans of wounded and dying attackers. He circled with the sword wielding brigand. The man spoke, but Syth did not care to activate his translation crystal. To do so would be a distraction. Conversation was not a part of this deadly dance. He waited for the man to drop his guard even slightly, and when he did, Syth leaped in close. Most long sword fighters had a difficult time fighting up close, since their weapon was one based on reach. Unfortunately for Syth, this man was not one of them.

He was able to block Syth’s first swipe with the cross guard of his sword, and that told Syth that he would have to get creative, since this man was good. The brigand jumped over another swipe, and was able to graze Syth’s arm in the process. They broke apart, and the man drew a dagger with his other hand, before charging in again.

The two exchanged a flurry of slashing blows with both slicing the other several times. Syth’s renders parted the man’s armor as easily as it parted his flesh. The problem was, Syth wore minimal armor, and while the man had yet to break through his armor, he still managed to cut flesh in several other places.

Syth knew he had to do something radical or else he would lose this duel to the death. If it wasn’t radical enough, he might still lose the fight and his life. Syth knew the man was good. He had to do something the man would never consider.

As they reengaged, Syth deliberately allowed himself to leave his midsection exposed. It only took the man a moment to see the opening, and attack, driving his dagger deep into Syth’s unprotected abdomen. Pain exploded into Syth’s body, but he pushed his awareness of it to the side.

By allowing the man to stab him, he had the man’s arms exactly where he needed them to be. Syth flipped his wrists, and plunged the tips of his renders into the man's armpits, angling them in. The man screamed and jerked. Syth went one step further. He shoved the Renders all the way in to the curve of the blades.

The man released the dagger, which allowed Syth to move freely. While he twitched and blood started coming out of his mouth, Syth spun, with the blades still deep inside the chest cavity. Putting his feet on the man's chest, Syth yanked downward with everything he had.

Finally, Syth got to the brigand's waist with both blades and drug them across the gut. Next he spun around so his butt was over the man's face and pulled hard, ripping the rib cage and armor upward all at the same time. When he got to the top, he pulled out one of the renders, snapped the breast bone right below the neck, and tossed the armor clad ribcage off to the side while showing everyone all of the cadaver's internal organs.

The man had stopped screaming long before his ribcage hit the ground. After the armor-covered ribcage stopped moving, there was no sound except for the wind as it blew the snow in swirls. Syth looked up with his hand clasping the dagger still sticking out of his stomach, and saw Gradon, sitting on top of his horse, his mouth hanging open, and his face pale. He held the man’s eyes in a pain filled stare. He spoke softly but quite clearly. “If you will set up a spit, Seandrian style ribs will be on the menu tonight.”

In the middle of their fight, an other-worldly scream, caused both Lew and the half orc to pause and turn as the shriek echoed through the ravine. The sound sent chills up Lew’s spine. Watching Syth toss the man’s now separated rib cage off to the side, with all his innards spilling out, Lew had to turn his head, sickened. He wanted to wretch, but fought back the urge.

The very few bandits that remained, and were able to do so, including the Half orc, turned and ran, and honestly, Lew didn’t see a need to try and stop any of them, the horror of what they had just seen made him very sympathetic.

The pain from his injuries finally started to make their presence known. He hurt everywhere. Lew jerked, then calmed when Xavier laid a hand on his shoulder. He was about to tell him he was fine, when suddenly he felt a very weird warmth flood across his body. He almost screamed when it faded. It wasn’t until Xavier was walking away that he realized that he had been healed. When he lifted his hand, and saw the blood, the fact that he’d been bleeding really hit him. That was also when the pain from his broken tail really became clear. The worst of his injuries were healed though, and he would deal with the pain of his tail later.

“CLEAR!” Came the call from Garnet just as Lew reached his feet and rushed after Xavier. Within a few seconds, the rest of the patrol sounded off that they too were clear of combat.

He reached Mablin’s wagon just behind both Gradon and Xavier. Not having any healing abilities, he stayed back a bit, but did see that the older of the two Rhinolings had more than a few arrows still sticking out of him. When he saw how serious Mablin’s injury was, with an arrow still sticking out of his chest, he guided the youth back a few steps, knowing his own injury and those that Sigvat had would have to wait..

He sat the boy down, then Lew spied Nimbi limping towards him. Sigvat seemed to be okay in spite of his wounds, so Lew rushed to be with his beloved panther. She was covered with bloody bites and claw marks, but Lew did not see anything that looked life threatening.

Olpha and Garnet rode up on their skimmers, a bandage wrapped around Olpha’s leg told Lew that there had been fighting in the back of the caravan as well. “What happened?” She asked as she came over to him.

“Mablin took an arrow to the chest just as the attack started. He would have been hit by more than one, but Sigvat and his sister pulled him off his wagon and covered him up. Sigvat still has arrows sticking out of him, but I did not see any on his sister.”

“Hmmm. Interesting.” She said, then turned and rushed to the boy. Garnet appeared to be about to speak when both Lucas and Thane approached on their Skimmers, with 3 bandits walking in front of them looking absolutely petrified. Behind the two Skimmers, Thane’s two Bear Scorpions ambled along, looking around at all the bodies as if they had been invited to a buffet.

“Thane, have the scorpions guard the prisoners. Then check for survivors, behead the dead so they don’t rise, and make sure you are ready in case there is another attack.” Garnet directed, then looked down at Lew.

“Are you injured?” Lew shook his head in the negative, so Garnet squatted down and made as if to pet Nimbi, but stopped, looking at Lew for permission. Lew nodded, and Garnet gently placed a hand on her side.

His other hand pulled an amulet out from under his armor, and that's when Lew remembered that Garnet was also a channeler of Rovnar. “Lord of tricks and freedom, I beseech your aid for this noble creature who was injured during her protection of our Lord. Please alleviate her wounds and relieve her pain.” As he spoke, his hand started to glow. When he finished his hand flashed brightly and the light faded into Nimbi’s side. The Panther gave a high pitched, almost mew-like whimpering cry as she dropped to her stomach.

Garnet withdrew his hand and then pulled off his water skin. “She will be fine, but she needs to be cleaned and kept dry. Just keep an eye out in case there is another attack.”

Lew was flabbergasted. Magical healing was rarely used unless it were life and death, and he had never seen it used on an animal before, and Garnet and Xavier just did it without asking. Adding ferocious and compassionate to the growing list of qualities his new family possessed, all Lew could do was nod and watch Garnet rush off to where Mablin lay.

The next hour or so went quickly. They moved the caravan down the road a bit where they found a naturally defensible position. They set up a tent for the prisoners and put them all in it. The original three prisoners, the three that Lucas and Thane had, plus two more that Killian found, and one that was injured by Xavier, but would survive, brought the count up to nine prisoners.

This did not include the two rhinolings who were helping carry the dead to where the bodies would be burned after having the heads removed. Unfortunately, the first body they laid after collecting wood was that of their friend, eight year old Amara, the young green and black dragonling that had been with them when the attack started. He had been hit with five arrows that had been meant for Mablin and those near him.

The Rhinolings got hit as well, but their thick hides prevented the arrows from sinking in too far and causing real harm. As it was, Garnet used his priest healing abilities to make sure they were fully healed. Something they were both shocked to have happened. The new prisoners, though, did not receive any magical healing. If they would not survive with conventional medicine, then they were finished off quickly.

Once all the surviving prisoners were inside the tent, the 6 new ones had the magical slave collars placed around their neck. Then Gradon set the magical limiter to where the prisoners could not exit the tent. Their captors did not want them to see what was about to happen outside. When everything was ready, Gradon gave an arm wave to Thane.

The Alphar prince took a deep breath, closed his eyes, and focused his magical force into the small structure that he had set on the ground. Standing quietly to the side, Killian observed the ebb and flow of magic as it emerged from Thane, and formed a shimmering vortex around the shelter. As the shelter grew, the flow of magic that was needed also grew. Moments later the ‘shelter’ had grown in size until it was a large cottage. Thane leaned against the wall for a few moments as he caught his breath. Growing the shelter had taken almost all of his remaining force.

Quickly both Mablin and Syth were moved inside. At first, there was organized chaos as wounds were cleaned and bandages applied. Olpha threatened Syth with more harm if he didn’t sit still. Mablin got two rounds of magical healing, one from Xavier, and another from Madelyn. Syth only received one round from Xavier, since it was unclear if he would need more.

Lew was about to leave the lodge when Killian called him back in. The boy had to explain to Olpha that he had seen Lew’s tail hanging oddly. After a thorough tongue lashing that ended with, “… and this is not the first time I’ve had to work on that cute furry tail of yours. If you insist on damaging the poor thing every time you get into a little scuffle, I’ll have to talk to Malachi about building you a nice strong elvensteel pipe, so you can tuck it away, safe from further harm, every time you get into a combat situation! ... Now drink this and go to sleep. I’ve got work to do.” Once Lew was asleep, Olpha gently laid him down to set the bones.

After that, only Olpha and Gradon remained in the shelter as the two Healthman. Now it was time to let the more mundane healing processes have a chance. Although, it was already clear that Mablin would need more magical healing tomorrow.

Olpha made sure to give Syth something to make him sleep. She knew he wouldn’t rest, even if ordered to do so. The only conversation between the two Healthmen was about what it would take to help their patients. The arrow in Mablin had been removed, but it took magical healing to keep Mablin from bleeding to death. It was going to take a good bit of work from these two, to make him whole again.

When they stepped back after securing the final bandage to the sleeping Mablin, Gradon chuckled. “I must say I am impressed with your skill, and even more so with what you have in your healthman pouch. Although, I truly do not know why. Everything about your group is impressive.”

Olpha laughed as she sat down at the table, and poured herself and Gradon a drink. She drained hers, refilled it, and took a good draw of it before she spoke. “I admit that I, and all of us, have had the luxury of always having the best equipment.”

“That may be, but it does not take away from the skill that you have all shown. Still, frankly, that caused me no small amount of humiliation today.”

“Teacher Gradon?!” Olpha cried out in horrified shock. “We… I…” She stuttered.

“No… I did not mean that in a bad way.” Gradon said with a small humorless laugh. “This was a major assault… on any caravan. I counted 37 dead, we have six prisoners, and I am sure some escaped. So we were attacked by no less than 42 bandits, and I was never able to wet my sword.”

“Really?”

“Really.” Gradon admitted. “At Lew’s alarm, I rode to the back, only to see you and Garnet had everything well in hand. Then I raced to the front, just in time to see Syth rip the rib cage off of an Expert Warrior Adept.”

“Yeah…” Olpha giggled a bit. “He always was a bit of a showoff. I just did not think he would do that again after the last time.”

“He has done that before?” Gradon asked, shocked.

She giggled again, reminding him that she was technically not even a teenager yet. “Yup, although last time it was on a flesh walker, and frankly, when Syth cracked the things chest, the smell that came out of there was so putrid, he had to cast close to a dozen auto cleanse spells to get the stench off of him and his equipment.” Gradon just shook his head, “Honestly, we all sort of got into the habit of trying to see how… interestingly, we could kill something. It became kind of a game.” Olpha suddenly sobered up. “Teacher Gradon, may I ask a question?”

“Of course.”

“The prisoners..” She started then faltered.

“What about them?” Gradon asked softly.

“Well, why?” She finally asked. “Why would you bother to take them? They are just draining our resources. Plus, we need to guard them, and everything else.”

“You never took prisoners?” He enquired, then thought back to the brutal efficiency he just witnessed.

“No. But then we would not take undead as prisoners.” She responded again with a giggle.

“It is the same reason I asked everyone to not burn the heads of those killed. We can claim a bounty in Silverton for bandits, and frankly, the price for a live bandit is considerably higher than just the head of one.”

“I think I see.” She sounded a bit unhappy with it, since it was a completely alien practice to her. “I just hope it is worth it.” She said with a shake of her head.

“May I ask a question this time?” He asked which was met with another giggle and a nod of the head. “Are you guys normally this… brutal?”

“Brutal?” She asked with wide eyes. “This was kinda tame. Frankly, they died much too quick. It was not really even fair. I was going to ask you if their training was really so bad, that we could walk through them all without any trouble, well… except maybe for Syth of course.”

Gradon wasn’t sure what was more frightening, her words, or the fact that she was absolutely serious. “Do you consider a dagger in the gut to be not an issue?” He realized as soon as he asked it, he should not have.

Olpha glanced at the sleeping form of Syth, then replied. “He did what he had to do, in order to win. He is not dead, and tomorrow, he will be back up and annoying people, so, yes, not an issue.”

“I see.” Gradon was conflicted. He really wanted to ask more, but was also very afraid to. He was saved when she spoke again, changing the topic in the process.

“If I may make a suggestion though,” he nodded. “I believe you need to speak to Garnet. He meant no disrespect. Truthfully, I do not think he even knows he may have been disrespectful yet. He is just used to giving orders, especially when it comes to combat. However, I know you are the captain of the caravan guard, which technically, means you should be in command.”

He had hoped that he had kept his face from giving away the fact that he had been rather annoyed when Garnet just started issuing orders that included his caravan. However, after what he had just seen, he thought discretion may be the better part of valor. Once again, he did not need to respond as she stood.

“Tell you what. I need to stretch my legs, and frankly, there is no need for both of us to babysit these three.” She moved to where her winter clothes lay. “I will send Garnet in to keep you company.” A moment later she was out the door.

The first thing she saw once she was outside was Malachi. He didn’t stop to talk to her. In fact, he didn’t even seem to notice she was there at all. He was headed back to the battle field, with his large smelting pot, and the case that held his large fire stones, all the while muttering about ‘melting down the bronze people thought was good enough to use in battle.’ Olpha smiled and shrugged. Malachi had his mission, and she had hers.

Madelyn and Bruin walked over to where Thane was standing with his pets, outside the tent that held the prisoners. Bruin walked up to Thane's pets and whined as he butted up against Suiadan. “Bruin sad…” Amakiir said softly.

Thane shifted around a bit and patted Bruin on the side. “I know fella. Suiadan said next time he would save some for you.” The boy tried not to giggle as he continued trying to comfort the Kulkodar. Suiadan, Thane’s male Bear Scorpion joined in with a gentle growl, while pushing his hard carapace up against Bruin’s armored and bladed wing.

Madelyn watched the exchange with a bit of humor. At the same time, she was surprised at how easily Thane was handling her pet. Bruin had taken the most work to make him warm up to her. It was obvious the boy had a natural talent with animals, more than just his Animal Adept training would account for. This was a child that could handle even the largest and deadliest of pets with relative ease. That thought caused her to chuckle, which drew Thane’s attention, causing the boy to fully stand.

“I am sorry.” He said softly, but with a smile. “My pets are not used to the idea of saving some of the enemy for someone else. However, they have promised to try harder.”

That made her laugh fully. She stepped up and rubbed Bruin on the snout the way she had found that he really liked. He carefully pressed up against her and enjoyed the snout rub.

“You were right.” She said as Bruin seemed to almost purr. Using her other hand she lifted the crystal Thane had given her. “He does have a rather… imaginative vocabulary. I honestly wonder if I am old enough to hear what he really says.”

“You probably are not.” Thane said with a gentle smirk. “There are times I am actually glad I can not understand, even with the crystals, what Suiadan and Faelwen are saying to each other.”

“No doubt.” she said as she walked up to the smaller Bear Scorpion and rubbed her face. At first the animal was wary, but then she quickly calmed and leaned into the petting.

Thane raised his eyebrows in surprise. “Well, speaking of Faelwen, I am sure you noticed but she is not bonded to me.”

“She is not?” Madelyn asked, a bit surprised. “I just assumed she was, since you control her as if she were.”

Thane shook his head. “No she is not. Suiadan is, and she just follows what he tells her, and what I can make her understand. After their former bonded died, I took both since I was the only one that could get near them. They had to come because, leaving them there, would have been a death sentence. I was able to bond with Suiadan once we arrived, but with Amakiir and Suiadan both, I can not bond with her too, unless she allows me to, and so far she has not.”

“That is sad.” Madelyn said as she took her other hand and patted Faelwen on the side. “I can tell that she and Suiadan are a mated pair. That makes things difficult.”

“Now I am very impressed.” Thane said as he walked over and stood next to them, a hand resting lazily on Faelwen’s side. “Only Lord Shun’relune, their former bonded, and myself knew they were mated.

“Bear Scorpions are rare in that they mate for life. The only time you would find two bear scorpions together in the wild is if they are a mated pair. Normally, they would mate, and the male would stay nearby until the female birthed the pups. He would then stick around long enough to provide food till the pups were old enough to start hunting for themselves, usually about two years. Then he would leave looking for a new female.

“Once in a while a male and female will stay together. The bond they form is very strong. If one dies, the other does not normally live long, and would never mate again.” The entire time he was watching Madelyn to see what her reaction to his words would be.

Without looking up from her stroking of Faelwen’s side, Madelyn smiled. “All it took was watching the two interact with each other.” She looked up at him with a smile, a smile he returned.

“I wonder.” Thane said as he moved his hand over to Suiadan’s side and patted it. “What do you think, big guy?” Thane patted his side even harder. “Think she’s good enough?”

Madelyn didn’t know what was going on, and by what was said earlier, Thane could not actually talk to Suiadan, but it really looked like he was, especially when the large Bear Scorpion nodded his head. Thane turned and looked at Madelyn, this time his eyes were critical and almost had a hard edge to them. Madelyn did not know what was going on, but she instinctively knew that backing up, or breaking eye contact was not the right move here. It was almost like he was a predator sizing up a meal and any fear she were to show would give him cause to pounce.

After a few moments he stood up straight, and straightened out his armor. All around him the animals picked up on his change of attitude and also straightened up, the rise in tension was lost on no one.

“Teacher Madelyn. As the unbonded caretaker of Faelwen, one of my responsibilities is to find one who is worthy. I find you worthy of bonding with her. If you and Bruin are capable, and willing, and she is accepting, would you take on the duty and honor of bonding with Faelwen. She has found herself without a bonded to watch over, and as such is incomplete. Are you and Bruin the ones to complete her?”

Madelyn felt as though she had been hit by lightning and stunned by the thunder. Slowly her eyes turned and met with Faelwen’s. Bruin moved over and sniffed at Faelwen where Madelyn’s hand was resting. “Me like.” Bruin said softly, startling Madelyn since she had forgotten about the crystal she wore, which was still active.

Madelyn sniffled as a few tears fell, while she gently patted Faelwen’s face. “What do you say Faelwen? Would you allow me to bond with you?”

The side body snuggle was all the answer she needed.

Garnet growled as he entered the shelter. He shook off his desert robes after pulling them off. He took a moment and cast a heat auto spell on the robes to dry them out, then cast it twice on himself and his armor. “I do not think I have ever missed the desert as much as I do right now.” He complained as he walked over and took a moment to look down at Lew, Syth and Mablin. Contenting himself that they were all resting, he moved over to the central island and poured himself a drink. He cast another heat spell on it to warm the liquid up then took a satisfying sip.

Gradon could not help but chuckle at Garnet’s antics. “Just wait, hopefully we will not have to go into the mountains, although honestly, this storm is very late in the season. I do not think I can remember a time when we have had a storm this bad this late.”

“Either way. It is good that Gordesch is not here.”

“Is that your friend that does not like the cold?” Gradon asked to which Garnet simply nodded as he took another swallow. “Mablin told me about him this morning.”

“Ahh, I see.” Garnet sighed. “His insistent chirping would have gotten so bad I would have been forced to tie his beak shut.”

“Is he a Hawkling?” Gradon asked due to the beak comment.

“No, he was a Falconling. Unfortunately, as much as I may have complained about his and Syth’s antics, the truth is, I miss him.”

“I am sorry.” Gradon replied softly. “I have seen how close your group is. It would be like me losing Mablin.” He paused as he looked over at his friend laying on the bed. “Speaking of which… I know it has never been officially spoken about, but Syth has taken control of the young slaves.” Seeing Garnet was about to speak, Gradon raised his hand. “Please let me finish.” Garnet closed his mouth and nodded. “We do not have an issue with it, especially since you took very little in the way of spoils. We feel that those three, well now two, are appropriately yours. We will even pay the cost to have the proper paperwork drawn up when we get to Silverton.”

“Thank you.” Garnet said a bit confused, but this was something that could be discussed at a later date.

“However, I will need to speak to Syth to find out what, if anything, he will allow me to gift them, for saving Mablin’s life. I know it is expected for a slave to give their life in defense of their master, but Mablin was not their master. So, if there are no objections, I would like to gift them with something.”

“I will discuss it with Syth.” Garnet said with a nod.

“Thank you.” Gradon replied with a smile, then he turned serious again. “Would this be a good time to ask how Aegir is doing? I know it has only been a few days.”

“He is doing very well.” Garnet said with what passed for a broad smile, for an Orakin. “His knowledge of weapons and their use is very good. As is his knowledge of the different sub fields. That knowledge is a great credit to you and your wife. You have done well in raising him. I see no reason to work on his ability to show respect where due. Of course we do not know yet how he deals with those he does not know, but I can guess that he does well there.”

“As for his knowledge of numbers and language, he also excels there due to good teaching from his parents. He does require some work on how he speaks at times, especially when he is excited. But I am willing to overlook that for now as he has demonstrated that he is working on it. As it is, I am now working with him to cast auto-spells. As soon as he can do that, he will pass from Preparation into Training.”

“That is wonderful news. He will be so excited.”

“I am sure he will be.” Garnet answered with a grin that matched Gradon’s, then changed topics. “I would like your permission to acquire some proper armor for him in Silverton.”

Gradon’s smile faded a bit. “Proper armor is expensive, and he is growing so much…” Gradon started to protest, but Garnet’s expression brought him up short.

“This is not something that I would be asking you to pay for. As his Mentor it is my responsibility to make sure he has what I believe he needs. Since you have said that Silverton is a large city, I am sure I can find a smith that can magically imbue the armor with the ability to grow with him.”

The absolutely gobsmacked look on Gradon’s face forced Garnet to rethink his plans. “I have heard that some mythical armor could grow as the wearer grew, but I have never seen it, nor ever heard of anyone that could create it. The amount of magic it takes would be…” Gradon was struggling to find the proper word when Garnet spoke.

“The world really has fallen.” He said more to himself than to Gradon. “All of our armor does this. That is why my armor still fits, even though I have changed my skin.” Seeing the expression on Gradon’s face, Garnet felt the need to quickly change the topic. “If I may ask, why did you give the order to not kill those bandits that could be healed.”

“Because they are worth coin.” Gradon responded.

“They are?” Garnet asked bewildered. “Like a bounty?”

“Yes, bandits have a bounty on them, if they are alive, they fetch more than just having the heads. Although the Expert Warrior Adept will fetch a hefty bounty. More than any of the live ones, except maybe the spell caster. Being a female she is worth more, and with her looks, I expect the price to be much higher. Of course, Mablin may want to keep her. So, he might pay the local magistrate to write up the enslavement papers for her. That way he would have full legal rights to her.”

Garnet sat there stunned. “I understand battle field captures for slaves, but why would you have to pay someone for paperwork?”

“Well, by giving Mablin the paperwork, they will be losing coin from her sale, so that has to be recouped somewhere.” Gradon explained. “As it is, if you or anyone else see a captive you might like as a slave, let us know, and we will make it happen. From what I have seen of your group, they would be far better off in your hands then what lay ahead for them in Silverton.”

“Why is that?” Garnet was not really sure he wanted to know, but figured he needed to.

“Well, they have two possibilities in front of them. The first is that they are purchased by one of the arenas for death matches. They will normally have to fight ten fights, and if they survive them all, they will be sold off, but they would not be allowed to fight in the arena anymore. The other option is they will be put on the slave block for sale, and most likely end up in the mines, especially the Orcs.”

“That seems a bit harsh.” Garnet said softly.

“It cuts down on banditry. That is why so many tried to flee. I expect there were several that ran, after they saw which way the battle was going.”

“I see. I will let everyone know. Although I do not think we will take anyone. We are on a war footing, which means that we are on alert at all times. Having to care for and look after slaves would distract us. At least with the rhinolings, I can see a use for them. Any slave that we may take would have to have a good use.” Garnet explained and Gradon nodded.

“We follow the same basic idea. We try not to have any slave that is not useful. Mablin’s personal slave Orla, who went with Frederick, was good with books, and often entered sales into the ledger that Mablin keeps.”

Garnet nodded in agreement, thankful that Gradon and Mablin felt the same way. There was one last thing that bothered him, so he decided now was a good time to bring it up. “I do have to wonder though… how did we allow ourselves to be ambushed like that. We walked right into it without a clue. That is not something we can allow to happen again.”

“Do not be so hard on yourself or your team. I truly doubt many people could have seen it coming. With the way the snow was falling, all they had to do was be still for a few minutes to be completely covered in snow. That would make them close to invisible.” Gradon said softly, his voice conveying as much as his words. “Also, your team reacted far better than teams I have drilled for months. The fact that we had so few injuries, and lost nothing, while they lost almost everyone, says so much for you and your team. As the battle commander, you should be proud. I know I would be.

“You are right, of course.” Garnet responded after a few moments of thought. He refilled his mug, this time he did not bother to heat it, and drank it as is. “That is why you are a Teacher I guess.”

“Well I do have a few years behind me, and have seen my share of ambushes and battles.” His grin was infectious enough to make Garnet smile as well.

“I guess we really should discuss a leadership structure since it looks like we are going to be traveling together for a while.” Garnet said which made Gradon nod in agreement.

“I agree, especially since Mablin has stated that if your group was going to go from Silverton to Lucas the Lost, we would like to join you. He very much wants to see what will happen.” Then with a chuckle he added. “Every now and again his curiosity overrules his need to make a profit.”

“We have not discussed it at length, unless something else comes up to divert our attention, I do believe that is where we will be headed next.”

“Then I believe we have much to discuss.” Gradon replied as he refilled his empty mug.

 

Copyright © 2023 Roland; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What an intense battle! The ambushers fought skilled warriors and lost. The descriptions of the individuals from Seana taking on attackers  showed why they are formidable and fierce fighters who will not stop no matter the injuries they incur. Gradon was impressed. Olga thought the battle was shorter and less brutal than she expected. The enemy was with one exception poorly trained. In that case, a well equiped warrior adept fought Syth and stood out as critical. Syth took a dagger to his stomach to be able to kill his opponent in a most gruesome manner. The enemy's  scream when his rib cage was pulled away from his body paralyzed the enemy still in combat and they stopped fighting.

At the end, the caravan fighters and their animals were healed. Prisoners were taken for bounty in Silverton. Mablin will need more care.Thane transfered his unbonded bear scorpion to Madelyn for her care and bonding. Garnet and Gradon will decide on a leadership structure. They have to plan. They all seem inclined to move beyond Silverton with a final goal of reaching Lucas the Lost in the Desert Realms.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Lew's musings on how lucky he was in finding himself befriended by this amazing group is broken by an ambush which would have overwhelmed any ordinary caravan. With the skilled fighters protecting this one, they didn't stand a chance even at seven to one odds.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Stop and remember that Xavier and Company are used to fighting Dead Walkers and other assorted Undead. Should I mention they also fought Dragons?

I would think that Agda and her friends would be right at home with Xavier's group.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

There are some important things to learn in the next chapters.

I hope Frederick and the three wagons Mabil sent on ahead to Silverton made it to the town safely and were not attacked by bandits. They can help Mablin, if and when they meet up.

The upcoming plan and trip can be agreed upon to Silverton, Scorpion Falls as the entrance to the Desert Realms and then to Lucas the Lost.

Mablin and others might take time to advise Xavier and his friends how to maintain a low profile so they can move without any issues.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..