Jump to content
    Roland
    • Author
  • 7,811 Words
  • 464 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Sands of Time - 7. Chapter 7

The next morning, the mood in the camp was subdued. Last night's conversation about Syth’s situation, and the decision that had been reached, was on everyone's mind. The gray overcast sky, and the cold, did little to lighten the overall mood as everyone went about the business of breaking camp and preparing for another day on the road.

Syth hardly said anything to anyone except his three young charges, and then it was only to give them instructions on what to do next.

Everyone knew he needed time for his own thoughts. Then again, so did they. The only person who would not take the time off was Garnet. He had a duty to his charge, and he would not shirk it.

As the caravan got underway for the day, Garnet made sure he was riding next to Aegir. Instead of riding on the pack skimmer, Aegir was mounted on his mother's horse. Since the boy already had a decent knowledge of how to ride horses, Garnet had decided he should stay on one, even though his own knowledge of equestrian skills was limited.

He did see how well the boy did with things like running the horse, doing quick direction changes, and the like. While he would not let Aegir know he was impressed with his abilities, he did allow that his skills were… adequate.

Later that morning, he rejoined Aegir as the boy jogged around the slow moving caravan. Even though he was in good shape, Garnet was not satisfied with the boy's stamina. Especially when it came to running in armor, with a weighted pack.

By the time they had stopped for lunch, Aegir was worn out. It did not help his mood that at one time or another, each of Garnet's squad mates took time to run with him. Most of the time they ran in silence. Then they would always thank him for allowing them to join his run before they returned to their mounts.

"Do not sit right away." Garnet told Aegir when they stopped. "Walk for a quarter turn of sand, or you will cramp up." Getting a nod from his father made Aegir realize that there must be a reason for it, so he did it. After his cool down walk, it was a real pleasure when he finally did sit. The noonday meal was ready, and when it was offered to him, he was ready too.

"Aegir." Garnet said as he walked up to the boy after everyone was finished and they were all getting ready to set out again.

"Yes Mentor?" Garnet smiled, he had not directed Aegir to call him Mentor, he half expected the lad to use Master or Sir, but the boy had figured it out on his own.

"I have a new task for you." He paused to make sure he had the boy’s full attention. "I would like you to speak to everyone in the caravan, excluding the slaves and prisoners. I want you to talk with them about their weapon choices. What they see as the advantages of their chosen weapons, and what do they see as the disadvantages." Aegir nodded his understanding, so Garnet continued. "When you are done with that, I want you to think about what you have learned. And when we make camp in Silverton, you will explain to me what the similarities are between them all."

Aegir was a bit confused about the last part, but decided he would understand as he went. He mounted his horse, and they started down the road. They still had several days till they got to Silverton, so he had time. He took up his normal position, riding slightly behind Garnet, and set about figuring out what questions to ask, and how to ask them.

Before the caravan set out after their lunch break, Mablin asked Gradon to ride with him for a while. As the caravan set out, the two men sat side by side on the front wagon. They were silent for the first hour, only muttering to themselves as they both smoked on their pipes. Gradon rarely pulled out his pipe, and only seemed to do so when Mablin did. "No matter how much I think about it, it just does not make sense." Mablin finally said.

The comment pulled Graydon away from his own train of thought. "What is that?"

"Well, honestly, almost everything about this group of kids." Mablin sighed out.

"Well, as always, talk the problem out, and normally you can figure it out." Gradon replied thinking of all the times that his friend would use him as a sounding board. Most of the time Gradon didn't need to say anything, because, as Mablin talked out the issue, the solution would become apparent.

"Okay. So this is a group of children that, I think we can agree, with everything we have seen that they do, they do indeed come from a far distant time. However, there are a number of things that bother me greatly." He handed the reins to Gradon as he used his finger to tick off points. Sometimes thinking out loud can be a two fisted process.

“One. They have equipment, armor, and weapons that are breathtakingly powerful. The fact that they take all of that for granted, highlights the fact that they do not understand. This alone, lends more credibility to their claim of where, and when they come from.

“Two. They not only had no issue with fear of fighting a dragon, they charged it, and then off handedly commented that it was just a 'young true.' I know you were neck deep in combat, but I was up top, and saw everything.

“These kids did not hesitate. They saw the dragon and attacked. Like it was nothing abnormal. I even heard one of them comment about how it was odd that we had never faced a dragon before, or knew what would happen when a dragon was killed by a non dragon.

"Three. The Drow… well he is a different topic altogether. That entire situation is elegant proof that they are not from anywhere near here, and decidedly not from what we know of as now.”

“Four. Frozen Flame weapons. They are from a time of legends and do not exist anymore. But, they have them, and the Drow just gave one away… HE GAVE AWAY a Frozen Flame! Then he passed it off and said it was not a big deal since it was just a lesser Frozen Flame. By the demon lords, I did not even know there were levels of Frozen Flames. AND HE JUST GIVES IT AWAY!"

Gradon could not help but chuckle as Mablin went on his somewhat quiet rant. But he also understood and agreed. "I am not even going to think about that 'shelter' where we had dinner the other night… I just… no. I just can not.”

Ticking off a fifth finger Mablin continued, “Nor can I wrap my brain around the fact that we may be traveling with the lost great grandson of Oden. If that is true, all of this may be happening because it is the will of the gods… It is one thing to pray to them and hope for the best, but it is quite another to fear that we may have actually come to their attention…”

Mablin did a quick turn to look Gradon in the eyes. "Which, by the way, if they decide to head to Lucas the Lost after we are done in Silverton, we are going with them. I really can not miss something like that." Gradon gave a belly laugh but did manage to nod his head.

"Six." Mablin said when his friend calmed. “It makes no sense that a Halfelf, one of the supposed weaker races in physical combat, would be the first one to attack the Dragon. Not once, but twice! I saw him. He attacked with a magical sling, and then charged right up to the beast and slashed it with his sword! Coming from a Halfelf, that combination of skill, confidence, bravery, and insanity, makes no sense to me.”

Gradon saw Mablin tick off one more finger, bringing the count to seven. “But… the thing about him that bothers me the most.... I have heard Xavier's tale about how a Halfelf can become a crowned Prince, but something does not seem to fit with that. I can not imagine an Alphar Prince, a Garm Count, and these other royals, deferring to a Halfelf. I just can not figure it out.”

"Then ask him." Gradon said simply, causing Mablin to turn and look at him like he was insane.

"I can not do that! That would insinuate that I believe him to be a liar. That could very well get all of us killed."

Graydon shook his head slightly. "I do not think it would happen with these children, but I have a different idea." Gradon made a show of handing the reins back to Mablin. "I will go ask. But not Xavier, I think the best shot would be to ask Malachi. He seems to be the least… temperamental of the group." Without waiting for a response, Graydon just jumped off the wagon gracefully landing on the ground. With a grin, he waved as Mablin stared back at him with wide eyed surprise.

It took a bit, but Killian finally saw Lucas riding towards the wagon he was driving. He had to pass messages along with Garnet who was patrolling around the caravan, with Aegir in tow. He watched Lucas bound off his skimmer and onto the driver’s bench. "So, I have been told you wish to speak with me. Whatever it was, it was Syth's fault, I swear to it!" Lucas laughed out loud, which caused Killian to laugh himself, all the strain going from his body as he did.

"Well," Killian started still chuckling. "I have been watching people, ‘looking’ at them, and 'tasting' their magic, as well as items I know to be magical, like you suggested, and I have some questions."

"Good. Until you know the tastes by heart, whenever you have a chance, you should practice. Since driving a wagon does not require a great deal of concentration, you should use the time to explore. I already know one of the questions you are going to ask, and I know the answer too." Lucas said with a trademark grin. "Yes, it will get easier, but, to see the magic in someone or something, will always require concentration, and tasting will always require more."

Killian just laughed again, as indeed that was a question he was going to ask. "I see you have done this before."

"Oh yeah. I am sure every question you can think of to ask, I have already asked. And every mistake you have made, or will make, I have or will as well. The art of sorcery is trial and error, mostly error. You have to remember though, you learn the most from your failures, and very little or nothing from success. So as long as you learn something from a failure then it was not truly a failure, just practice for the next time."

"I had actually meant teaching someone else, but your answer makes me feel better." Killian responded with a chuckle.

"Teach someone?" Lucas exclaimed, his eyes wide with surprise. "I am not one who has reached the Instruction Echelon. I mean I know I am close, but I have much more to learn before I am ready to formally teach someone anything."

Killian looked disbelieving. "I am pretty sure you are in the Teaching Echelon… Oh wait…" Killian and Lucas both spoke the same next words. "Different Echelons." Then they both broke up laughing

"Yes." Lucas said when he got his laughter under control. "I do believe I am in the Teaching Echelon of this time, but no, I have never taught someone before. I also do not believe I will need to teach you, maybe guide you on things that have been lost, but I am sure you will be guiding me on things that have been found since I was current." Lucas smiled warmly at Killian. "So what have you seen that you have a question about?"

“Well, I guess the first thing. I’m looking at everyone here, and you all have magic, and I knew that since we are all trained. But I was curious and concentrated on the Moose Camel, and it’s got magic coming in and out of it. Are they trainable?”

Remembering that many things were lost to this time, Lucas did not laugh, but couldn’t hide the smile. At least he was able to turn the smile into a bright smile instead of a mocking one. “My friend, that is a wonderful question.” He was pulling from his own instructor now, who never made any question sound stupid. “The answer, while simple, may change how you truly look at the world around you.” Again something that was told to him, but something he agreed with, for it had. “Simply put, there is magic in every living thing. No matter if they are truly mundane, there is magic in them. Not enough to be used or shaped, but it is there. Magic is life, and life is magic.”

“But magic comes from dragons.” Killian objected.

“Not true. Yes, dragons hold more magic then just about any other race, but there was magic in this realm before there were dragons. Dragons and other high magic races were created to stabilize the magic. Come to think of it. That may be why magic to us feels stale, or lessened.” Lucas’ words were spoken as if in a trance. He finally shook his head, but nodded to himself as well.

“What do you mean stale?” Killian asked.

“When we first arrived, we all felt as if magic was stale. It did not cost more force to cast, but it took longer, and took more mental strain.” The Highman explained. “My thought is because Dragons lost so many of their numbers during these dragon wars, perhaps that is why magic is more stale.”

“But that doesn’t make sense.” Killian argued, getting a bit flustered as he tried to keep up with magic talk that he wasn’t used to. “You just said that magic didn’t rely on dragons.”

“That is not exactly what I said.” Lucas retorted. “I said that dragons stabilized it. Look at it like this. Magic is life, life is nature, nature demands balance in all things. If the number of dragons was reduced enough to where their simple existence could not keep it stable, then nature... thus magic, would be out of balance. That would explain it being as powerful as it has always been, why it does not cost more internal force to cast, but why it would take more strain, and more time to cast something.”

“So, how do we fix it?” Killian asked, still not really sure what Lucas was talking about. Not fully.

“Other than breeding a bunch more dragons, I do not know.”

After giving Killian time to digest what he just said, Lucas spoke up. “So what other questions did you have?”

“Oh yeah… ummm.” Killian stuttered, trying to get his mind back on track. “Okay. So, looking at people. Right. So, several years ago, Sir Mablin paid for me to attend a camp. It was really only for Mages, but he paid enough to where they let me attend. That is where I learned the importance of force casting.”

“Yes, I saw that, and they are right. Part of what that builds is willpower. Willpower is one of the most important things for a Sorcerer, since it is our will that shapes the magic.” Lucas added, to which Killian nodded quickly.

“That is what my tent leader said.” Killian agreed. “He also spoke about magical items and how they work.” With a motion from Lucas, Killian went on to explain what he was told. “Some items actually have the magic woven into them as they are created. Others, the vast majority of them, have the magic woven into special gems that are then set into the item that will be used to hold the magic.”

“That is a very good, basic, explanation.” Lucas agreed with a nod.

“Well, I took the time to see the magic in the translation stones you wear, so I could see how the magic flows when they are being used and when they are not.” Lucas raised his eyebrow in surprise and smiled at the fact that Killian would think to do something like that.

“But there is something I do not understand. When I look at Garnet’s ring, the one that allows him to shift his shape, I do not see any magic. But when I looked at Garnet, he showed a whole lot more magic than anyone else I really looked at. I was just wondering why.”

Lucas had to think fast. He did not want to lie to his friend, but he also could not tell him the truth. Finally he decided on how to handle this. “Killian… please understand that I think you are a friend, and in time may become a very good friend. That means I do not want to lie to you. However, there are certain secrets that I can not reveal. The ring he wears is one of them. I hope to not offend you when I say, I can not answer that question.”

Killian was quick with his response. “No, not at all. I understand, and am not offended at all. I won’t say anything to anyone else, I promise.”

“Thank you.” Lucas said with his trademark smile. “Now, let us discuss something else. You talked about how a magical item may be made, I said your answer was a good, basic, answer. Let us dive deeper into that if you want.” Killian eagerly nodded his head, he was indeed interested in that.

“Teacher Gradon!” Malachi called out with a laugh, as he brought the wagon to a stop. “Unless you plan on walking all the way to Silverton, I suggest you hop on.”

“Why thank you kind sir. I do not mind if I do.” Gradon shared the laugh as he climbed on. As soon as he was seated, Malachi snapped the reins and the two Moose Camels continued down the road.

“Mind if I ask a question or ten?” Gradon asked with a grin

“Well that was number one, so nope, I do not mind at all. In fact it will hopefully ease this mind numbing cold. I am pretty sure the boredom does not help my feeling of the cold.” Malachi groused, he then cupped his hands together and blew into them. “I am just thankful Gordach is not with us. Listening to him cry about the cold would get old quickly, and since he was as cold blooded as a being could get without being cold blooded. Well lets just say when given a choice of any magical item in the king's armory, he chooses a cloak that will keep him at a comfortable temperature. Need I remind you we lived in a desert, and did not have much in the way of cold.” Malachi’s booming laughter was so infectious, Gradon found himself laughing harder than he would have normally done.

“I have extra gloves if you would like.” Gradon was confused why Malachi would not have gotten some gloves sooner.

“Oh I have some.” The boy said as he lifted up a pair on the seat next to him, “The cold just gives me something real to complain about.” The last part was said with another jovial boom of laughter. “So, what questions do you have? However, I warn you. Most people have found themselves regretting the decision to ask me questions. I often find myself getting physically assaulted due to a bit more sarcasm than is healthy.”

“I do not doubt that, however, having seen you in combat, I do not think I want to try my luck.” Malachi looked at him wide eyed, so Gradon chuckled. “Oh do not get me wrong… I know I would win, but Madelyn would not like the looks of me when I was done. She always complains about getting blood out of my clothing.”

Gradon was pretty sure Mablin could hear Malachi’s boom of laughter and stomping boots all the way at the front of the wagon train. When the boy slowed his infectious laughter down, Gradon finally was able to wheeze out. “Seriously though, would you mind if I asked a few questions that may tread into the personal level?”

“I do not mind, but I am sure you understand I may decline to answer.” Malachi said with a gentle smile that told Gradon that he was not easily offended.

“Understandable.” The man agreed, then paused before deciding what to ask first. “I guess my first question revolves around Prince Xavier.” He paused to see what reaction Malachi would give, but he only nodded for the man to continue. “I am wondering what it is about him that could make an Alphar Prince, or any other royalty defer to a Halfelf?”

“Hmmm… We were wondering when this question would come after Sir Mablin mentioned that Syth could not appear to be owned by Xavier, although we do wonder why such an emphasis is made of Xavier being a Halfelf.” Malachi responded with a knowing smile. “This is a question I do not mind answering, however, it requires a bit of a history lesson. Since I am not a ruinseeker, this will likely not be as flowery as they might tell it.

“You may or may not have been made aware that Xavier’s kingdom of Seandra, shared land with the Sand Dragons…” Malachi’s voice made Gradon know the Dwarf was actually asking a question, so he nodded in response. “Good… Well the Brown Dragons openly employed and trained dark mages and their ilk, meaning that Seandra and its allies often had to fight the undead. The fighting was fierce. For a time it was thought that the combined might of the Seandrian army, and the Sand Dragons, would not be able to withstand the onslaught.

“The King of the Sand Dragons, along with the help of very powerful allies, were able to create a magical barrier around the Sand Dragon homeland, which also protected the Seandrians. This shield blocked entry into the lands of the Sands, save for three locations that were so heavily guarded that the Browns could not breach the barrier. Magical gates and the likes were not usable, unless you were taught the secret to doing so. With the fact that there were no Mythling gates within the lands controlled by the Sands, the land was effectively safe from attack. This lasted for hundreds of years, until the shield wall was rent asunder. Shortly after that we were sent here. End of the history lesson, now to answer your question.

“Without going into too many personal details. Olpha, Lucas, Syth, and Garnet are all Seandrians. Thane as you know is an Alphar Prince, and I, as you also know, am a Garm Count. Thane has said some of why he was in Seandra, and I will let him give any more details, if he chooses. However, I do not mind explaining why I was there.”

Gradon nodded his thanks, and Malachi continued. “I do not know if it is still so, but Dwarves and Garm in particular are known for their ability in crafting metals.”

“The dwarves still are, yes.” Gradon responded, not wanting to reopen the wound that telling Malachi the Garm are no more caused a few days ago.

“Good.” Malachi responded with a nod. “I know you said you were not aware of what the Iron Fortress was, or of the Battleforge line. However, let me say this. Within the Garm nation, no greater metal workers were there than the line of Battleforge. The Iron Fortress was home to one of only a few known magical forges. Deep within the bowels of the Iron Fortress, we Garm churned out the greatest of mundane and magical weapons. So great was our craftsmanship that even the Dragon Lords would come to us wishing items forged. I have dined with lords who traveled from distant lands. Emperors would beseech my father for favors. There was truly only one other that rivaled our family.”

Malachi had a wistful smile on his face as he spoke, and Gradon wondered how much embellishment was going on here. “Ahhh, but that does not answer your question. I grew up with a forging hammer in my hand. I wore out my diapers on the floors of the forge. My earliest memories were happily pumping away on small billows, smashing pieces of metal with my miniature hammer and anvil. When I was old enough, I did not wish to stay with my mother, I was in the forge next to my father learning all he could teach. I was truly becoming a great smith, or so my father would say. The first time I was able to create Eldwar I had only just been tested, as a swordsman.” So lost in his tale, Malachi did not hear Gradon’s gasp. Or his stiffening posture.

Malachi sighed deeply twice before he looked across the wagon. “Teacher Gradon, I am truly happiest when I am working with metal.” He paused, and looked down a bit before he continued. “The problem was, is, I am a swordsman. With that came a duty to my people. I was third born, so while I would not rule the Iron Fortress, I was expected to lead the armies it fielded. As such, my father sent me to study under another Master Smith. This smith happened to be the Royal Mage of the Kingdom of Seandra. The real reason was though, Xavier and I were close in age, and had met before. In Seandra, I would be able to be trained in combat as there were always undead just outside the barrier wall. I was sent to Seandra, became friends with Prince Xavier, and together with the rest, we would often travel past the walls with our instructors, and train ourselves against the unending horde of undead.”

Malachi looked at Gradon as he spoke again. “So to answer your question, we defer to Xavier since it was his Kingdom and his Father that sent us here. Not to mention, for me anyways, he is the Prince I was sent to train with, and as Seandra is our ally, it is incumbent upon me to defer to and defend the Prince I was sent to train and learn with.”

This was the most serious he had seen Malachi be, and so Gradon solemnly nodded in acceptance. “Thank you.” He said with a slight bow. “That does indeed answer my question.”

At first, Malachi only gave a half smile and nod, but then his grin widened and he jovially bounced a bit in his seat. “Great! What else can I answer for you?”

“Well…” Gradon rubbed his chin in thought. It was catching sight of Malachi’s armored boot under the desert garb that made his decision. “I would like to consider myself well traveled, and having seen much in my years. As I looked at the armor that you and your friends wear, it took someone else mentioning the Dragon Hide for me to remember where I had seen armor like that before. But honestly, you and Garnet, I have never seen your type of armor before. What is it made out of?”

Malachi thought for a moment, then understood. “That actually makes sense, as far as Garnet goes. His armor is made of Drow Soul Steel.”

“Drow Soul Steel?” Gradon repeated. “I have never heard of it. Although, it does make sense when I think about it. Since the Drow are trapped in Under River, we would not know of it. What makes it special?”

“Well, I am not sure if you know this, but the Drow are the finest undead warriors. Several times since I came to Seandra, Drow training classes came in and they would go outside the walls and clean everything out. There was also a contingent of Drow that were stationed at each of the three gates just in case.

Drow Soul Steel is mined in Under River, and, in weapons they will not only damage those undead that are only affected by Silver or Magic, but also will deal more damage to undead as well. When used in armor, it is less affected by undead magic, as well as it is naturally able to go into the Spirit Realm, making it ideal armor for Spirit Warriors. Unfortunately, while I know how to repair Soul Steel… which by the way, is the worst metal to work with. I do not know how to make it, meaning I will not be able to make anything for your son.”

“I see.” Gradon said. It really just made him realize that his son will be shifting into the spirit realm, something that just made him shiver in fear. “I am sure we have some time till we will have to worry about that.”

Malachi looked sideways at Gradon and grinned. “I would not count on that. While Garnet may never have mentored someone before, I can guarantee Aegir will be pushed as hard as he can handle. If he has half the drive I believe he does, he will go through the lower ranks rather quickly.”

“Oh.” That is all Gradon could say. He needed time to digest that, so he went back to what he was originally talking about. “So, your armor. What type of metal is it made out of?”

“Ahhhh…” Malachi grinned as he thumped his chest, making the armor underneath clang. “Now, I am not sure I am accurate, but last night I think, with Lew’s help, we came up with an equivalence system for the ranks we are used to, and what you use now. I am Proficient step 8, which I believe equated to Secondary step 4. I bring that up, because when I tested true to the Proficient Echelon, my father gifted me with a set of full Dwarven Plate armor made by his own hand, and made of Eldwar.”

Malachi had to grab Gradon as he almost fell out of the wagon.

Shortly after the caravan stopped for the evening, Garnet told Aegir that he did not need to continue helping with setting up the camp, since he had a project. He told Aegir to pick someone and talk to them about their weapons.

Aegir stood there watching everyone move around, trying to decide who to talk to first. He finally made up his mind and moved to the large figure that was walking away from a newly set up tent.

She had her back to him, so he cleared his throat and in a timid voice spoke. “Uhh… Lady Olpha?”

He watched as she stopped what she was doing, and stood up slowly to her full height, then just as slowly turned in his direction. She had her head held high as she turned, so she needed to look down to see him, which she did very slowly. At length, her full glower came to rest on the boy, making him take a step backward. “What? … I thought I heard someone, or something, speak, but was not sure. I thought ‘perhaps it was a mouse’. However, I do not see a mouse. Even though you are very small, you are much bigger than a mouse.”

Aegir gulped hard, as he stared up at the imposing colossus that was staring back down at him. She was nearly two meters tall, where he was only about one and a third. She looked to be well over 150 kilos, where he barely topped 30. “Uhhh… Lady Olpha…” He finally forced his voice to squeak out. “...I’s…” He caught himself and quickly corrected the mistake, “I was hoping I could speak with you.”

“What was that?” She asked, her voice not at full volume, but she had raised it, causing the boy to become slightly fearful. He was well aware of the short temper Illorc’s could have.

“I…” He stuttered out. “I was hoping to speak with you.” He made sure to use only proper speech since he knew how they felt about low speak. At the same time, a thought fluttered through his mind that he may have chosen unwisely, when deciding on who he should talk to first.

Aegir was oblivious to everything around him, except Olpha. The camp had quieted, and all eyes were focused on the saga that was unfolding between Aegir and Olpha. Gradon had to force himself not to intervene, however, Madelyn was not going to let her son face this alone. Thankfully Mablin was able to stop her.

“I could NOT hear you.” Olpha said, the volume of her voice rising again.

He almost took another step back. It took him a moment to get a bit of moisture onto what felt like a cotton covered tongue that had suddenly materialized in his mouth. Finally he managed to speak a bit louder. “I was hoping to speak with you.”

“Do you realize who… and what… you are speaking to?” She demanded at the same volume.

“Oh…” He gulped again. “Lady Olpha…” He started to say, but she cut him off.

“I was not talking about my title, but my race.” Her volume was the same, but the ominous nature in her tone was gone.

“Ummm… You are an Illorc?” Aegir was definitely confused at this turn of events. It was clearly written across his face for all to see. If all of the conversations his Mentor had assigned went this way, he was definitely going to need more time.

IllorcIllorc?” She literally boomed out in laughter. “I am not one of those lesser races! I am Orakin!” She puffed her chest out as she said it, then looked back down at him. “The one thing an Orakin can not stand, is timidity. If you wish to speak to me, then MEAN IT!”

Unbeknownst to everyone else, Mablin, Gradon and Madelyn just stared at Olpha, their mouths hanging open. Coming to his senses,and quickly looking around, Mablin closed his own mouth, then gently used his fingers to close the mouths of his two companions. Startled by his touch, they both looked at him, only to see him shake his head slightly, signaling their silence.

It took a moment for what she was saying to sink in, but when it did, Aegir stood up fully, arched his shoulders slightly, and when he spoke, it was normal volume but confidently toned. “Lady Olpha, may I speak with you?”

Her glower exploded into a wide grin. “Why Aegir, I would be happy to!” She reached down and placed her hand on his shoulder. “Let us go over here by the campfire. I see our young Rhinolings are almost done bringing the logs out to sit on.” The two rhinolings had stopped to watch the exchange, but they quickly went back to work.

“Olpha, would you please stop terrorizing my Ward?” Garnet called out.

Instead of answering, she lifted her arm and flipped him a rude hand gesture causing many others to laugh. Garnet though could not leave well enough alone. “Aegir! What made you decide to choose her for your first discussion?”

Remembering the lesson he just endured, and truly learned from, Aegir swallowed his fear, and spoke loudly and clearly. “I thought she was the nice one.”

All around the camp, almost every member of Xavier’s patrol fell to the ground laughing. Thane had actually been on one of the wagons. He was laughing so hard that he barely noticed when he slipped off the back and landed on a rolled up tent.

For his part, Aegir was pulled to the ground where Olpha had collapsed in laughter. After a few moments, he could see actual tears falling from her eyes as she roared in absolute glee.

After observing everyone for a few moments, Aegir turned to his Mentor and dead panned, “Are you telling me I was wrong? She is not nice?”

More than one ‘oh shit’ was heard. Garnet looked at Aegir and then firmly planted his face into the palms of his hands.

The next morning found the group heading out with heavy snow on the ground, and more still falling from the low clouds. The patrol found themselves wearing as much clothing as they could under their armor, as well as doubling up their desert robes for extra warmth. Still with all the activity of getting underway, Thane witnessed something that would have had him rolling in laughter if he weren’t on the back of his skimmer. Rolling or not, he was laughing hard as he headed to his assigned position ahead of the caravan.

Minutes later, as he rode up next to Lucas, he was still laughing. They were all moving along before Thane got his laughter under control enough to explain what had happened. “I swear to you Lucas, I believe it may even be funnier than the first time I watched Amakiir splat someone!”

“So what happened?!” Lucas insisted, already smiling just because of Thane’s laughter.

“I had just finished assisting Malachi with getting our gear packed on the skimmers. I was heading to the front when I saw Bruin, Madelyn’s Kulkodar, over by the prisoners. It seems that the dragonling was trying to figure out how to get the collar off, and Bruin caught him. That Kulkodar might be young, but the language he used…” Thane broke off as he fell into another fit of laughter. “I mean, I have to confess that I learned a few new, and very colorful word combinations. Personally, I am rather shocked that Madelyn would allow him to use such language at all, especially with him being as young as he is!” Thane started to laugh again, causing Lucas to join in.

“Maybe you should tell her how bad of an influence she is on him!” Lucas gasped out as he laughed. “I do not think she realizes how her actions must be corrupting someone as innocent as Bruin.”

“Innocent? I have my doubts. The worst part was…” Thane added with wheezing laughter. “After the Dragonling hung his head,and stopped fidgeting with the collar, Bruin strutted back towards Madelyn’s wagon as proud as a Razorwing in full rut!” Lucas almost fell off his skimmer as he laughed harder than he remembered laughing at last night’s episode with Olpha.

“Maybe you need to go confront Madelyn about the care of her Kulkodar.” Lucas breathed out, while clutching his side.

Thane stopped instantly as he slowly turned to Lucas. His face was completely neutral when he spoke. “It is rather irresponsible for her to allow him to speak like that. As you have just reminded me, it is the responsibility of all animal adepts to assist a creature that is in need, or that may be suffering abuse.”

“That it is.” Lucas replied with a giggle.

Thane turned his skimmer around to head back to the wagons. “I will send Syth up to ride with you.” He kicked his skimmer up to a trot as he called over his shoulder. “There is a young Kulkodar to save!”

“Take notes! I want to further my education too!” Lucas shot back, as the snow swirled around Thane’s departure.

Thane stopped to speak to Syth, while at the same time calling the two Bear Scorpions and Amekiir to him. Once he was sure the critters knew to alert Lucas and Syth if they saw anything that could be a problem, he headed back towards Madelyn’s wagon.

He pulled his skimmer alongside the wagon and, once he was sure she knew he was there, he lightly jumped from his skimmer onto the wagon. When he sat down he glanced at Bruin off to the side who was still growling at the frightened prisoners, who were trying to give the beast as much space as possible. Thane snickered again.

Madelyn couldn't help a bemused smile at the boy's laughter. She reminded herself, yet again, that he had ‘requested’ that he NOT be treated as royalty. She really doubted that he understood the position that put her in. Well, not just her, but her husband and Mablin as well. Every fiber of her being wanted to bow and scrape to the prince that now sat next to her, but to do so would go against his express wishes. It was a difficult situation. Fighting her own instincts was also not something she could easily imagine doing.

Thane chuckled out loud again as he settled in. Madelyn was getting antsy to know what he thought was so funny, but she couldn't bring herself to ask out right. Finally Thane spoke. "I am really quite surprised with you." He said giggling again.

"Oh?" She asked now completely confused

"I thought a mother, such as yourself, would not allow your Kulkodar to… well, use such expressive language." He said the last in a full fit of giggles. "There is no doubt that he has a fertile imagination, but unfortunately he also has a very dirty mouth to go with it!"

Now she was totally lost. "I do not understand." She said as she looked over to Bruin, and then back to Thane. "Bruin does not speak, and never has."

Thane immediately sobered up and looked at her skeptically. "But of course he does." He asserted, then added, "And he knows some very interesting curses." Switching to the dragon tongue he spoke to Bruin. "Wherever did you learn language like that!"

Bruin stumbled as his head shot around to look at Thane. Flapping his wings to regain his balance, and terrifying the prisoners in the process, he stuttered in astonishment. "You speaks?"

"Well of course I do." Thane responded dismissively. "Did your mistress teach you those words?"

"Lady Master no speaks. Older nest mates teachs me bestus wurds first!" Bruin responded. Madelyn sat there stunned. She couldn’t understand what was being said, but it was obvious that Bruin and Prince Thane were in fact talking. "Me no meet no one udur ‘dan dragonling who speak." Bruin concluded.

Thane was thoroughly confused, and shifted his gaze back to Madelyn. "You do not speak to Bruin?"

"What language was that?” Madelyn asked. “ I have heard him make those sounds before, but… Are you telling me that the Kulkodar have a language?"

By this point Thane was flabbergasted. "It is the dragon tongue. You do not know it?"

"No." Madelyn responded emphatically. "How does Bruin know it?"

"He was probably born with the basic knowledge, which more than likely means he is, or could be trainable." Thane opined now totally serious.

"Wait." Madelyn said, turning to face him, letting the two Moose Camels have their heads. Thankfully, they were in the middle of the caravan, so they just kept plodding along. "Are you trying to tell me that Bruin can not only speak the language of dragons, but he also is trainable?"

"MIGHT be trainable. He is still too young to be certain, but the fact that he was born with the innate knowledge of the dragon tongue means there is a good chance he has enough dragon magic inside of him to be trainable."

"How is that possible?" She asked again, looking at Bruin. She briefly considered that Thane might be playing a joke on her, but she could not see him doing that. "How could he have dragon magic inside of him?"

Now it was Thane’s turn to be confused again. "He is a Lesser Dragon Kin of the Brass. You did not know this?"

"No." Madelyn said as she again looked at Bruin, this time she didn't take her eyes off of her pet as she spoke. "I found him in the jungle lands far to the south of Weleger. He was trapped in a pit of sinking sand. He looked young, and I had heard about them before, so when we rescued him, I trained him and he became my pet."

Her eyes dropped and tears began to flow at the thought of the pet she’d just lost. "When I started to train him I only had Grazer, my Gorilla, so it was no issue to train Bruin. Now though, I need to start thinking of a new pet." She angrily wiped her eyes, annoyed because she allowed someone else to see her cry.

Thane placed a hand gently on her shoulder and squeezed. "Trust me, I know the pain of losing a beloved pet. No matter if it was my first, which was a snow ferret, or any of the ones since then, it never gets easier. They are more than just a pet, the way so many non Animal Adepts see them. They are a part of us. Especially once you start to see through their eyes. Hear through their ears, or taste their kill. They are a part of you."

In her emotional state, Madelyn heard the sympathy and felt the understanding in Thane’s voice. Had her mind been clearer, she might have questioned what he meant. As it was she just nodded her thanks and turned her attention back to Bruin.

Thane's mind started to spin in another direction. He reached into his pouch and pulled out a very plain amulet with a red gem in the middle. “Here.” He said as he handed it to her. This is one of our translation stones. To activate it, you simply hold it, and speak the word ‘ta’le’. That is the magic word for ‘speak’. This will allow you to both understand what anyone says, but also allow you to speak in any language, and be understood by the person you are speaking to. It only lasts for a single sand glass turn. Then you have to reactivate it. It does not work with animal intelligence creatures, but if they are closer to normal intelligence, and have a verbal language, these will work.”

She took it, and Thane placed a hand over hers, giving it a squeeze. “Thank you.” She said, her voice full of emotion. He simply gave her an understanding nod, then jumped off the wagon, and remounted his skimmer. A moment later he was riding for the front, while she turned to Bruin and uttered a single word. “Ta’le”.

Copyright © 2023 Roland; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 13
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Mablin and his crew are trying to get better adjusted to the kids from Seanfra.

He has determined that if they travel toLucas the lost with the real Lucas, then he and his caravan will accompany Xavier and Lucas. If they travel to Scorpion Falls which is one of the entrances to the desert realm, then they have a good chance to meet Agda and her patrol who will be handling the initial caravans after the terrible sand storm

Lucashas helped me understand the meaning that stale magic is lesser magic. Lucas considers that the loss of so many dragons has weakened amount of magic in the air. The lost dragons meant more magic  would not be enabled.

I should comment that Mablin does not know about Kandric who is a powerful being who has killed several dragons. A half-elf is leading an army in another part of this land.

Nevertheless, Mablin is greatly troubled by the kids and them obeying a half-elf. Gradon reaches out to Malichi who happily tells him more about his friends while keeping the secret that Xavier is a great sand dragon. Thane may have caused a problem hiding their secrets by giving Madelyn a translation stone. It is a risky move. In an unguarded moment she might learn that Garnet and Xavier are dragons and shock the others.

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I suspect that when they reach Silverton, they will all hear of Kandric and what that red-headed halfelf has done!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Our travelers still have secrets to keep, at least until they are more certain of their new companions. There are so many things which they see as commonplace which are now extraordinary in this time. It is a good thing they are used to life around a court because it necessitates a skill in obfuscation. They are so fortunate their first good encounter was with such a trustworthy group.

Killian has seen through Garnet's disguise without knowing what he has seen. It makes me wonder what he would sense with Xavier who would be much more than all of them.

Madelyn learning Bruin can speak and might be trainable is earthshattering. It will add a new and deeper dimension to their bond.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

The group is melding together and learning their shared skills. I think they will be an effective fighting force against any a enemy who attacks them before Silverton. Mablin is still stunned the those from Seandra but he has learned to work with them. Gradon's info might give him more confidence. but earlier Mablin thought---“Nor can I wrap my brain around the fact that we may be traveling with the lost great grandson of Oden. If that is true, all of this may be happening because it is the will of the gods…" I bet Dawnbreaker and Afterdusk and other old ones owe the Sand Dragons a great deal for their sacrifices and might later help them--especially with what they find in Lucas the Lost.

In Silverton they should learn of a powerful half elf who was killed several dragons and is leading a combined army of many beings.. Thane and Malichi might even meet and talk to related kin who are protecting the town. Since their caravan killed a green dragon whose parts have already been taken to Silverton, Mablin's group might get inquiries from authorities. The news that green dragons can change their shape will be shocking and might pull out even higher authorities for verification. They should be on their guard in case the green dragons find out about their kill and seek retribution against Mablin and Xavier. If Silverton has an arena, I bet gladiator slave Syth will score some unexpected, awesome, gruesome kills and earn the respect of the crowd and coin for his trusting friends.

Edited by akascrubber
  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, innerkid13 said:

Does Kyle Aarons’ “Beyond the Crags” have any relationship to this story?

I see that are both part of the Kandric Saga.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..