Jump to content
    Roland
    • Author
  • 9,347 Words
  • 532 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Sands of Time - 9. Chapter 9

It took the group longer than normal to break camp and start their travel the next morning. With having to deal with the captured bandits, as well as everything else to clean up from the battle the previous day, they did not truly start moving till almost mid-morning. Gradon was now driving the gypsy wagon over the heavily rutted road, since Mablin and Syth were riding in it, convalescing. Mablin did not make a fuss and moved to sit on the bed, which spanned the back wall of the wagon. However, when it was Syth’s turn to climb up and lay down on the second bed which normally served as a couch, the boy continued with his copious complaints. Olpha was forced to threaten severe bodily harm if the boy did not ride inside the wagon, to which Syth bowed his head, and muttered as he climbed the steps into Mablin’s home.

Mablin tried hard not to laugh when he saw Syth pouting at being forced to ride in the wagon. Syth flashed him an angry look that quickly faded into a sheepish smile, which only made Mablin laugh again. Just before they took off, Olpha opened the back door and threw in a large bag. “Here, at least this way you can make yourself useful.”

Syth pulled the bag towards him, grunting as he did. He may have been healed by Xavier and Garnet, but he was still dealing with the fact that he had been run through. He opened the bag and pulled a satchel out of it. He sighed as he looked at the big bag which for some reason looked even bigger than it had the last time he saw it.

Mablin’s curiosity got the better of him and he broke the silence. “What do you have there?”

Syth leaned back and looked at Mablin for a long moment before responding. He held up the satchel as he spoke. “These are some pages that are not in our books. We have been trying to separate them based on the new echelon rating. We were going to ask you tonight to check to see if we separated them properly.”

“You mean you have a book as well?” Mablin asked, head tilted slightly to the side in question.

“Of course I do,” Syth said a bit agitated. “I have three, my spares book, my main, and my battle book.” Seeing Mablin’s lost look, Syth sighed as he realized the man did not truly understand what an Enchanted Archer was. “I understand,” he said with a smile. “You have never dealt with an Enchanted Archer before.” He sighed as he settled back on the couch he was sitting on.

“When an Enchanted archer starts their training, they must choose a school of magic to bind with.” He grunted as he reached back over to the big bag and pulled it closer. He rummaged around inside it for a moment, then pulled out a book about half the size of Mablin’s. Then the boy pulled another book out that was larger than the first, and only slightly smaller than Mablin’s own spell book. “The first one is my spares book, and the second is Olpha's.” The man knew instantly that they were mage books, but he saw nothing to mark them as mage books. Nothing to show they took pride in their abilities by upgrading the way the book looked. It was so plain, Mablin figured it must have been their very first books. Syth grunted as he fell into the back of the couch and sighed. He followed Mablin’s eyes and then asked, “What?”

“Your mage book.” Mablin started to say then stuttered to a stop, trying to find a tactful way to ask his question. Finally, he reached under his couch-like bunk in the wagon and pulled out his larger, and highly ornate mage book. Syth couldn't stop the giggle that escaped his lips, but quickly threw his hand over his mouth, blushing so deeply, his normally dark skin lightened with the blush.

“I am so sorry, Sir Mablin.” Syth gasped out, completely scandalized that he had laughed at Mablin’s book.

Mablin was very curious now, so he smiled softly at the clearly mortified lad. “Pay it no mind lad.” He said simply, then got a curious look on his face. “But please, tell me. What did you find amusing?”

Syth looked down at his wringing hands and spoke softly. “It’s your book… I thought for a moment that it was your kid's book… the one you start your training off with.”

These kids were very strange, Mablin thought to himself but kept on his emotionless mask. “What makes you think it would be my starter book?”

“Well, it sort of looked a bit like mine, with all the ornamentation. I even think I had a golden tassel, like that one.” Syth said with a gentle smirk.

“So you are saying that the more ornamentation on your book showed you as a less experienced Mage?” Mablin asked as if Syth were his student, and Mablin was challenging him to defend an answer the boy had given.

“Of course!” Syth insisted. “Why would someone want to carry around a Mage book that screamed out how powerful the wielder is.” He pointed to the book. “I am an archer. On a battlefield, that… wonderfully brilliant color of gold would be my first target, since it screams out, ‘kill me first’... It would be a mistake I could not imagine any marginally experienced being making.” Syth finally ran out of steam and just shrugged his shoulders in an exaggerated motion.

“I understand what you mean, however, things are different at this time. Now, this…” he said, patting his book, “is a sign of higher status. Perception is everything. If you look rich or powerful, you will be treated as such. Only those with money can dress like they have money.”

“I think I see,” Syth said in a way that made it obvious he did not.

Not wanting to let the lad fixate on that thought, he asked another question to get them back on track. “I do have a question about you and your field if I may.”

“Of course.”

“I was wondering how an Enchanted Archer, who specialized in Mage spells, can read a spell from his book, and then cast it on an object.”

Syth shrugged as he spoke. “I memorized them. I have over seventy spells memorized.” Mablin’s jaw hit his chest, which caused Syth to look on confused.

“Why would you have that many spells memorized?” Mablin stuttered out. Had anyone else made this claim he would have believed them a liar, but with this group, he just knew that any wild claims they made, could actually be true.

Confused, Syth shrugged his shoulders. “Well, I memorized all the Training…” He paused for a moment as he searched for the word, then smiled as he remembered. “Sorry, all the Primary level spells I could find, so I could memorize more… Secondary Level spells.” he paused as he got a concerned look on his face. “I mean no insult, but… well you do know the formula for memorizing spells?”

Mablin nodded as he spoke. “You can memorize one extra nonauto-memorized spell, for every four in your book.”

“Right.” Syth grinned. “Enchanted Archers NEED to memorize as many spells as possible since we can not really hold our bow and a book while casting a spell.”

Mablin nodded slowly, what he said made sense. “Now, if you were talking to Olpha, her goal is to be a bookless mage. So far she is doing it.”

Mablin softly spoke the words… “Bookless Mage…” His tone was almost reverent. Of course, he knew the concept of a bookless Mage. Someone who has memorized so many spells, that they do not even need to open their mage book, except to add spells, or to cast the more obscure spells. He had never met a Mage that was disciplined enough, nor was willing to spend the time needed to memorize that many spells.

Silence reigned for several moments as the wagon continued to bounce and sway every time the wheels hit rocks or crossed over into another rut in the road. Mablin got his bearings again, then shifted to pick up some of the loose spell pages.

The next several turns of sandglass were spent going through pages, some of that time was spent as Mablin simply stared at spell pages he either had never heard of before or were worth a VERY large amount of coin. Some of the time was spent with Mablin loudly questioning the parentage of the sadist who was driving this torture wagon and the genealogy of those responsible for taking care of the road. In spite of that, the two convalescents gradually made some order come to the loose spell pages.

Syth gingerly made his way to where his friends were chatting. It was only a lunch break, but he was glad to be out of the wagon and on his own feet again. He joined the group in time to hear Garnet speaking. “The local lord offers a bounty to those who kill or capture bandits. Much like how our father would pay for those who killed any undead that ended up within our borders. In my discussion with Teacher Gradon, he outright said that those we have captured will not have a very easy life. He intimated that those we killed were the lucky ones.” Garnet’s tone was grave as was Olpha’s face as she nodded in agreement.

“But most of them are below the age of adulthood!” Malachi said in his gruff tone.

Xavier shook his head before he spoke. “What is it that you suggest we do?” His voice raised slightly. “As much as I may want to, we really can not afford to add any deadweight simply because we feel sorry for them!”

Garnet watched as everyone nodded to Xavier’s sentiment before he spoke. “I, more than almost anyone else, would never suggest it. However, Teacher Gradon said that we may see if any of them would be useful to us and if so, we could have them. He even made it clear that he and Mablin would take care of the paperwork for it.” His tone of voice made it clear he still did not fully understand why that would be needed. “Speaking of which,” Garnet added as he looked to Syth with a grin. “Teacher Gradon also said that he would have paperwork made up for the Rhinolings, although he said it would be best to have the listed owner as someone other than you.” His smile faded when he said the last part, but when Syth nodded in agreement, Garnet continued. “He also asked that he be allowed to gift the two younglings for their part in saving Sir Mablin’s life. As long as you agree.” Syth nodded and commented that he would speak with Gradon about it.

Not being able to stop himself from making a joke, when the conversation died for a moment, Thane spoke up. “I am not sure about the rest of you, but I truly do miss having a body servant.” His laughter was echoed by the others, and Olpha couldn’t help but add her two cents.

“Well, you are the most pampered amongst our little group.” Xavier barked out a laugh at her comment and laughed even harder as Thane quickly pulled up some snow from the ground, and threw it at her.

Lew tried hard to hold his laughter as the next several minutes devolved into an impromptu snowball fight. It reminded him that, even with everything else this group was, they were also younglings, some of whom had not reached the equivalent of their teenage years.

When the laughter and games finally ended, Xavier sighed heavily as he looked toward Lew. “What are your thoughts on the matter my friend?”

Lew’s grin faltered as he found his throat suddenly dry. He bought himself some time to think by grabbing his waterskin and taking a long, slow drink. When he was done he sighed as he met the eyes of all in the group, who were patiently waiting for his words.

“Teacher Gradon is correct.” He sighed again and decided how to explain something that to him was normal and obvious, but to these kids seemed to be anathema. “From what little I have learned of you and your ways simply by listening to you talk and your stories, how you treated slaves is completely different from how they are now, even if they are young.” His eyes widened as a thought struck him. “Perhaps it may be best if Sir Mablin helped explain things. Being a merchant, he would have a better idea of the ins and outs of the slave trade that I simply do not have.” He couldn’t help the sigh of relief that escaped his lips when Xavier simply nodded in agreement. This did allow Lew to ask something he wasn’t sure he should, but knew he needed to.

“One thing though Your… err… Xavier.” Lew was certainly not used to calling him by such a familiar name. Truth is, he probably never would be. However, since Xavier was insistent, Lew did not really have a choice.

Xavier, for his part, just smiled softly and nodded for Lew to continue. “I am hesitant to ask something personal like this, but I feel I must, not knowing how such matters were dealt with in your time.”

“Oh just spit it out already!” Malachi boomed with laughter. The laughter gave Lew the time he needed to compose himself, as well as lower the tension he was feeling.

“You all have spoken about items you would like to acquire when we reach Silverton.” He paused as they all nodded. “Well, ummm… What do you guys have as far as coin goes? The items I have heard you express interest in are not cheap.”

“Oh…?” Xavier asked, momentarily stunned. Then started to work a pouch off his belt.

“We had not thought about that,” Lucas said softly, causing the others to nod in agreement.

“Lew,” Xavier said, causing the Pantherling to adjust his gaze back to the smallish halfelf. “Do you think this will be enough?” He asked as he tossed the pouch to Lew, who caught it deftly and then started to open it while Olpha spoke up.

“If the need is great, I am sure Xavier would be willing to dip into his hoard…” She never finished as the horror-stricken expression on Xavier’s face caused her and several others to burst out laughing.

Xavier cracked a smile. “The odds would be better that Rovnar would show up and NOT proposition you.”

“Lew?” The laughter stopped as Xavier called Lew’s name, causing all eyes to turn towards the stunned Pantherling.

Lew had pulled one coin from the pouch and was simply staring at it. “Is there an issue with my coin?”

“This… is gold?” Lew asked softly, in almost a trance-like voice.

“Yes…” Xavier worriedly replied. “If that is not enough, I do have more.”

“More?!” Lew exclaimed as he finally looked up into Xavier’s worried face.

“Well, yes. I only keep my traveling coin in there. 20 gold and 5 platinum.”

No one reacted quickly enough to stop Lew from toppling over backward, whispering “More…” as he fainted.

Two days later could not have been more different, weather-wise. It was relatively warm, the sun was shining and the wind was just a nice light breeze. They were only about three turns of sandglass away from the first small village that marked the outskirts of Silverton. Mablin had recovered enough by that time that he was able to be up and about. However, there were some things that had to be done before entering the city, which is why he decided to stop the caravan early. No one noticed the lone horseman on a distant hill as he left his post and hurried to report to his masters in Silverton on the approach of the caravan.

They all knew that the conversation during and after dinner was going to be important, but since that was a few turns of sandglass off, the group was split up doing their own thing.

Thane was working with Madelyn and Faelwen. They had almost finished creating the bond by working with each other. Faelwen was learning Madelyn’s commands, and how she worked with Bruin. But more importantly, they were learning how to work together as a team.

Aegir was giving his report to Garnet. He had spoken with everyone, except Mablin, and Garnet had excused him from that since Mablin had been concentrating on healing. The boy still liked the fighting sticks but also chose the crossbow and the short sword. He had finally come to understand why all of the Seandrian group had three different types of weapons, one bladed for cutting, one blunt for smashing, and one for ranged attacks. This way no matter what type of enemy you were facing, you had a weapon suited for fighting them in any situation.

It did take Garnet asking a few leading questions to make the boy finally understand why, but in the end, the reasoning was his, and Garnet was more than satisfied. He confided to Xavier that while he had never mentored someone before, he had often thought of it, and Aegir was the type of student he had hoped to get. One that was eager to learn and driven to absorb all he could, as fast as he could. As it was, it was earlier in the day that Aegir was able to cast his first auto-spell.

After what they had done during the attack, Syth decided that he wanted to get to know the rhinolings better. He found out that they had been born as slaves in a place called Bloody Rock. They worked in the forges pumping bellows and feeding the fires. Their father had been one of the blacksmiths and was actually trained as a Warrior Adept.

When Syth asked if they knew if either one of them was trainable, Sigvat dropped his head further but nodded. “I is.” He said softly.

“What field?” Syth asked calmly.

“An’mul ’Dept.” was the soft response. “I’s used ta play whit some mices I sees.”

Ignoring the terrible low speak, Syth reached out and raised Sigvat’s head and made sure the young rhinoling saw his soft, easy smile. “I will make sure to let Madelyn and Thane know so they can continue your training.”

Sigvat got a terrified look on his face as he started to shake a bit. “Da Prince?” He whined in fear.

“Oh do not worry… he is not as bad as you think. I promise.” Sigvat nodded his agreement, although the look on his face clearly showed he wasn’t convinced. “I just wish you would have told us you started your training already.”

Sigvat then explained why he had to keep his status secret. His parents knew that the training he would have gotten at the hands of the black dragons was not something they wanted him to go through. It took many minutes of stories they had heard about how brutal the training by the black dragons was before Syth started to understand. Although the thought of training being like that was so alien to him, he just decided to take their word for it.

“Who started your training?” Syth asked gently.

“Muder of me. She bees like me be whit critters. She no tells any ones.” When he looked over to Grima she shook her head. He guessed she was still too young to know.

When Syth asked how they came to be in the company of a Green, but were slaves for the Blacks, neither one of the children really knew. They just ran with their parents, when they were told to.

For his part, Mablin tried to stay as relaxed as possible, to allow his upper chest to heal. He was extremely grateful for the sheer amount of magical healing that was possible with this group. Besides Xavier being a Shaman, there were four different priests and two good Healthman.

Due to their efforts, not only did Mablin survive, but he was up and about, although still feeling a bit tender where the arrow had pierced his chest. Tender or not, he would drive his wagon into the city tomorrow, for all to see, rather than lying in it, hidden from sight, recovering. Someone had ordered the attack on his caravan, and he wanted to send them a clear message that they had failed.

But that was tomorrow, and he knew he had to prepare everyone for what they were going to experience. He quietly began to organize his thoughts on how best to let these dangerously powerful newcomers understand the way things were in this world. If he could convince them to do it, he had a plan in mind. If his plan worked, their stay would be profitable, and they would leave Silverton all the richer, alive and well. If it did not, there would likely be a war in the city streets. If that happened, he doubted that any of them would leave the city alive.

That evening, when dinner was finished cooking, they all sat around the campfire and started to eat. During the meal, the conversation was light and companionable, everyone agreeing silently to allow themselves a chance to relax while they ate and leave the serious talk for later. While they ate they were totally unaware that they were the topic of discussion at another after-dinner gathering in Silverton.

When they were done, Gradon and Garnet stood to address the group. “Tomorrow, when we enter Silverton, things will be both very strange and very dangerous, not only for those of you who are unfamiliar with the way things are done now but for all of us.” Gradon began. “With that in mind, Garnet, Mablin, and I have discussed the situation and have decided on a few things that you all need to know. We have also devised a plan that should keep us all safe if we all play our part, but we will come to that later.” Garnet and Gradon stepped to the side as Mablin stood. His expression was thoughtful, and there was a gentle smile on his lips as he looked around the fire circle, his eyes settling on Lew.

“Before I get into other things, Lew has let me know that you all need a bit of an education in modern finance.”

This got several laughs, with Malachi piping up, “He never did talk coin with us again…”

“I can certainly understand that.” Mablin chuckled, then turned serious as he looked at Xavier. “May I see one of your coins?” Xavier nodded, then blindly pulled a coin out of his pouch and flipped it to Mablin. The whitish color coin flipped through the air catching the fire light brightly. Several gasps could be heard, as Mablin almost dropped the coin instead of catching it. He stood transfixed for several seconds as he slowly turned the coin in his hand. The minting of the coin and the inlay were of such quality, that Mablin was sure that the pictures on the coin moved.

“I…” He paused and had to clear his throat as he peeled his eyes off the coin in his hand and looked back at the kids. “I have never actually held a platinum coin before.”

He turned it one more time before he started to hand it to Gradon. He stopped and looked at Xavier asking his permission. “Of course.”

Mablin handed it to Gradon who had Madelyn and Aegir pressed up against him looking at the coin. “Merchants deal mostly in Silver.” Mablin began trying to keep things on track. “Common folk may see a silver or two in their life, but they trade primarily in copper and tin…”

“TIN?!” Malachi violently boomed. “Tin is NOT coin!” His words had an air of finality to them.

“In your time that may have been true, but in this time, it is!” Mablin said with equal force. “Listen.” He said then waited till he was sure he had their attention. “Let me put it like this. In this day, the coin you handed me is worth 20 gold pieces. 1 gold is worth 50 silver, 500 copper, or 5000 tin. You have to understand. We pay our caravan guards well, mainly because there is some danger, and I have found that better quality guards, while more expensive, are well worth it.” He paused as he saw the kids leaning forward, eager to hear his words.

“I pay a Primary Echelon being 12 copper, with a bonus of 5 copper if they have a second subfield…” Before he could finish, Xavier chimed in.

“That is close to what we would pay our guards. Two silver a day with bonuses.”

“Had you let me finish…” Mablin gently chided. “I would have finished with the words, per week.”

“Oh…” Xavier said his eyes cast to the ground.

“This leads nicely into my next topic. From what I understand, Silverton will probably come as quite a shock for all of you. I will do what I can to prepare you, but it will not be enough. Silverton is as close to anarchy as you will find in the Kingdom of Eaglonia. The royal tax collector is really the only representative of the crown here, besides the royal garrison which is under his command. He and his guards do not care about anything as long as they get what the Crown is owed.” Mablin started to pace, much like a teacher might do in a classroom.

“The City Council runs things. The council is made up of the seven largest mine owners. The thing that is very hard to understand, is that the city guard is made up of a garrison from each of them. Each mine owner has their own military that guards their mines, as well as keeps the city defended. Each garrison patrols its own precinct, with the largest owner controlling the city center. The only crime that is really enforced is any crime that interferes with the running of the mines.

“There is also a well-organized underworld of individuals who are willing to take risks if there is a profit in it for themselves. The ambush is a good example of the extremes they are willing to undertake. As often as not, their services are used by the mine owners, and other wealthy individuals, who may not be able or willing, to act more openly. As long as they do not pose a threat to the mine owners themselves, and the King’s tax collector is satisfied with the King’s share, a blind eye will be turned to their activities.”

He walked over to Aegir and pulled the confused boy to his feet. “Sorry Aegir, I need your help to try and make them understand.” Aegir tried to put on a brave face as he nodded. Mablin then maneuvered the boy to stand before him, facing everyone.

“Xavier,” Mablin said, making sure the teen understood he was speaking specifically to him. “If you were to come across Aegir on the streets of any city you know, what would be the very first thing you looked at?”

Xavier stuttered out at first but then spoke quickly. “I would look to see if I recognized him.”

“You do not.” Mablin quickly shot back.

“Okay, then I would look to see what race he was, and what if any weapons he was carrying.” He paused but seeing Mablins look, he continued. “Then I would try to see if he was hostile. If not, then I would nod in greeting as I passed.”

“And if he were wearing a sackcloth and walking with an adult?” Xavier’s complete confusion was what Mablin expected. “In this time, dressed as you are, seeing Aegir in the way he is dressed now, you would not even spare him more than a glance. If he were wearing the sackcloth, you would not even lower yourself to acknowledge someone that far below your caste. Of course, if he did not get out of your way, you would be well within your right to kick him aside, if you were in a good mood, or call on the guard to have him whipped for impeding your path, and then continue on confident that Aegir would be whipped bloody.”

“No…” Olpha breathed out, seeing that she was the only one who could find words.

“I have seen it,” Aegir said softly. Feeling the squeeze from Mablin’s hand on his shoulder, he continued slowly making sure to speak as his Mentor instructed. “What Sir Mablin is trying to say is that how you are dressed is as important as your guild pin. I have never had a pin, but because I have been dressed well, I rate as a high merchant child. I usually do not have a problem, but I also know that anyone who dresses even close to how I am, but has a pin, is my better. And yes, while they would never do it, Mom and Dad have both been offered coin for me…” He paused even as Madelyn gasped. “Because of my looks.”

Gradon sighed. “I had hoped you did not hear that. But it is true, the last time we were in Junsac.”

Mablin’s expression had hardened while he listened to Aegir’s story. He sighed and let his hard look change to one of contemplation. He looked first at Olpha, then Syth, Malachi, and Garnet, and finally his gaze landed on Xavier. “This next part, I fear, will be so foreign to you that no matter how much I explain it, you will not understand until you see it.” His words caused the seven kids to lean forward, not sure if they wanted to know what he was about to say, but knowing they needed to.

“Gradon,” Mabil spoke with a harsh tone, as he turned to the man. “How much is Aegir worth?”

“What?” cried most of the kids, including Aegir.

“Mablin?” Madelyn cried out with disbelief, however, neither Mablin nor Gradon flinched, or gave notice that they heard the outburst.

“Well, before we found out he was trainable, he could have fetched maybe 450 to 600 silver, since he is young and strong, and good-looking. The price may go higher, much higher, but that would be from those who truly want him in their bed. The higher the bidding, the worse it would be.

“By the gods…” Xavier breathed out. “What are you…”

Mablin did not let him finish. “In this day and age, children are property. Nothing more, nothing less. Remember, I have said I sometimes deal in slaves. It is not something I do often, mainly because it is a drain on resources. But if asked, or I see a good deal, I will. I have seen more than a few times where parents sell their children so they can get coin. The lesson I am trying to convey is this. Children are looked at as nothing but property.”

Killian, who had been particularly pensive during this exchange, spoke up next. “It doesn’t always turn out bad. I wouldn’t be here with all of you if Mablin hadn’t bought me. My mother only wanted the coin, and she didn’t care who gave it to her, or what happened to me afterward.

Mablin smiled warmly. “Yes, you were one of my better acquisitions!” To which Killian giggled as Mablin continued. “But there is a bit more that our young friends need to hear.

“In most cities, orphans are the lowest of the low, and you can get away with just about anything when it comes to them. However, in Silverton, most of the orphans are paid to separate the leavings from the mines. They are paid very little, but it is still more than orphans get in other cities, and it is because they are employed by the mines that they receive some protection under the law.”

Knowing the children still were not even close to a basic understanding Gradon raised his hand. When Mablin nodded, he stood and faced the young nobles. “In every village, town, or city I have been to, I have been approached by children, some younger, much younger, than yourselves asking if they could help me in some way for a coin. It was always made clear that their ‘help’ would extend to the bedroom if that is what I wished.”

Once again, Mablin paused and looked around to make sure he had everyone’s attention before continuing. “Tomorrow we are going to enter a place that can be very dangerous to the unwary. In case you have not made the connection yet let me say it rather bluntly. In the eyes of what little law there is, YOU are children, and after 11,500 years, YOU are most certainly orphans!” Mablin paused and watched as the implications of that statement began to register on every shocked and wide-eyed face around the fire circle. Knowing they were all very close to overload, Mablin went to Malachi’s cask, brought it over, and made sure all of the kids had a full mug. This allowed them some time to process. All of them needed a refill before Mablin could put it down and continue, “Fortunately, Garnet, Gradon, and I have come up with a plan that will change all of that, and if everyone will play their role, all should be well.”

As Mablin took his seat, Garnet and Gradon stepped forward, in a show of solidarity, then Gradon stepped back to let Garnet take the lead. He, Gradon, and Mablin, once he woke up, had talked extensively about the ambush and what would come next. He was sure that most of his friends would not like some of what he was about to tell them, but he knew it was what had to be done.

“Overall, we will follow Sir Mablin's lead, since he is the caravan owner and the highest in guild ranking. We will play the part of students and guards. When it comes to the defense of our property and the safety of the caravan as a whole, we will follow Teacher Gradon’s orders. However, when it comes to actual combat situations, I will be issuing the commands till the fighting is over. Does anyone have any questions or concerns about this arrangement?” When no one spoke up, he continued.

“First is our cover story of why we are traveling with Sir Mablin’s caravan.” Garnet paused long enough to let his gaze sweep around the fire circle.

“We all hail from the Combined Desert Realm and the city of Scorpion Falls. And, as I just mentioned, we will be playing the role of students and guards.” He started.

“That is a city now?” Lucas asked quickly.

“Yes.” Mablin joined in. “It is one of the largest cities, which is currently ruled by a dwarf, Count Kandahar. The line of Kandahar has some of the best metal workers currently known.” Mablin looked at Garnet, silently asking permission to continue. Garnet nodded and stepped back to join Gradon off to the side.

“Our goal, while futile, will be to bring as little attention to ourselves as possible. Nevertheless, we will cause many eyes to look at us, just because we are strangers, and because of the makeup of our group, not to mention what we are hauling.

However, I will try to focus as much of that attention on myself, and the dragon as I can. That way, we shield all of you from as much unwanted attention as possible. And the attention that does focus on your group, should fall on Thane, and his Gladiator.” Looking at Thane and Syth he went on. “That is why everything you two say, everything you two do, and how you do it, will be at the core of our success… or failure.

“Tomorrow, before we leave, we will display the dragon’s skull proudly on my wagon. It is my hope that their focus will remain on that, leaving everyone and everything else to go slightly less noticed.

“Thane,” Garnet said as he turned to face his friend fully, although he was scowling a bit. “I know you are not going to like this, but I must insist. Your part in the cover story is that you are the son of one of the richest merchants in the Combined Desert Realm. You begged your father to allow Sir Mablin and his Teachers to take you out into the world and see what is out there. The rest of us joined you so we could also learn.”

Thane said nothing, but his expression made it very clear that he was not at all pleased by this turn of events. Garnet held eye contact with him for a long time which almost became uncomfortable. Before it could get too tense, a pair of gloves flew across the campfire and landed in Thane’s lap.

Slowly he looked down to see what had landed in his lap. Then, just as slowly, looked to see where they had come from. His eyes met Xavier’s steely determined glare. In the few seconds that their eyes were locked, so much was said, and even more was implied. Yes, Thane was a prince, but Xavier, by right of Siroco, his sword, was a King, and he was family. That is what all of this was about. The family and their safety. The gloves had been thrown down, and a challenge came with it. Thane dropped his eyes and then moved his attention back to Garnet. After a second or two, Thane nodded and picked the gloves up.

“I know how you think Thane, and I can sympathize,” Garnet said, his voice taking on a rare soft, friendly tone. “We would be hard-pressed to find a more loyal, caring, and selfless friend. But at the same time, for those that are not part of your new family, you are an Alphar prince, and by damn, you feel that they should treat you as such.” Thane nodded, his face a steely mask as Garnet finished with as much sarcasm as he could put into his voice.

“In this world, the Alphar is nothing but a legend that most people have never even heard about. There are no Elvin houses to be a Prince of. That is simply the way things are, and you are going to have to live with it, regardless of where you are, or whom you are with.” Gradon had taken up where Garnett had stopped. “This is why you must now act as a high merchant. Take your cues from Mablin, because that is what he is.”

“This is the best we can do to make sure you are treated as you are due. As you yourself have said. Your father may have decided you are not Alphar enough to be in his court, but not even he can take the Alphar out of you. But more important than your race is your family.” Again, Thane just nodded.

“If it makes you feel any better,” Mablin added after a few seconds, “with the fact that you are controlling two large and… impressive pets, and have your own gladiator slave, most people will not bother you, and those that do will do so… respectfully.” He chuckled at the end, which finally got Thane to crack a smile.

After a few moments of good-hearted ribbing on Thane, Garnet calmed everyone down, and Mablin continued.

“That brings us to the second part of our subterfuge. We have to come to an understanding now about you Syth. How you must act as a slave…” Syth cringed and tried to hide his anger at just the mention of his having an owner. Mablin, despite his injury, moved swiftly and got into Syth’s face.

“Listen carefully,'' he said softly, yet firmly, and still loud enough to be heard by the others. “You better get over your annoyance. I admire you for agreeing to do this, but damn it boy, if you are going to do it, then you need to do it right and act properly.

“You must look dangerous. You need to make it clear that with just one order from your owner, you would kill anyone and everyone you lay eyes on. You are a gladiator, with only one purpose, and that is to kill. You are also a slave, which means no one else is of concern to you but your master. It is your master’s whim that decides who you will kill… when you will kill them… and sometimes, how you will do your killing.

“This is the only way you can survive this without everyone trying to hurt you. It is not fair, nor is it right, but frankly, it does not matter, since right or not, it is the way things are in the here and now. You need to dig down deep and throw any bit of doubt away or you will get all of us killed. Do you understand?”

Syth was wide-eyed, but at the question, his eyes narrowed, his shoulders squared and his chest puffed out a bit. “Yes.” He said softly, but there was steel in his voice, and the word had a sharp edge to it.

“Yes?” Mablin asked loudly with steel in his own voice. “Yes… what?”

There was a brief pause, then, “Yes Sir.” Syth finally said after he figured out what Mablin was getting at. At the same time, he lowered his gaze, hoping that he looked sufficiently subservient by doing so.

“Anyone you speak to that is not Thane is to be referred to as Sir or Ma’am. Thane is always referred to as Master. EVERY SINGLE TIME!” Syth nodded softly in understanding. “You will not speak unless your master speaks to you and requires an answer.” Again, Syth nodded.

“Good. Now you and MERCHANT Thane need to speak about how you will act, and what you will need to do to make this work.”

The wealthiest bar in Silverton was host to a small gathering of the richest beings in all of Silverton. They normally only met at the council chamber, but this evening they were not discussing the business of the city, but something far more important, increasing their wealth. Specifically, how to corner the market on something very rare that was soon to be entering their city.

The meeting was short, with no one in the room save for the five. No slaves, no servants, no one that could reveal their plans before it was time. Finally, when they were all in agreement, and each had pledged fifty thousand silver to fund the venture, the host rang a magical bell. Moments later a well-appointed man walked into the room and knelt as if before royalty. He did not speak, nor did he raise his eyes. He simply waited.

“Jameson.” One of the seated men stated firmly. “Tomorrow, you will ride out to the South road. There you will find a caravan that is coming here. They have cargo that we wish for ourselves. You will go there, and convince the merchant to sell to us. Take however many men you think you will need to safeguard this cargo; however, we want it here as soon as possible.” The man stopped talking, reached over, and lifted his golden goblet to his lips, a clear dismissal of the man. Without looking up, the man stood, turned, and quietly left the room. Nothing more needed to be said. He had his orders, and he would fulfill them.

When Jameson got outside the bar, he had gone barely twenty paces when a small figure emerged from the shadows, moved up to him, and whispered softly. “What did they decide?” Without ever looking at each other or even appearing to be speaking, they had a quick conversation before the smaller being nodded and moved off into the night.

Meanwhile, deep in the slums that surrounded the city, a green-eyed Halfling sat in the darkest corner of a very rough inn. He shook his head in disgust as he realized that the rabble that was here was just as useless as those in the last four taverns he visited. It seemed that if he wished to do his mistress’ wishes and reap his promised rewards, he would have to do this task himself. He drained the last of the swill they called ale, got up, and left. He had work to do.

Mablin held up a pouch and made a show of dumping the contents into his hand. “Once you put these pins on, you are considered an adult, no matter what your age. Once you reach Primary echelon, you are seen and treated as an adult.” He paused as all eyes were glued to the four guild pins that were resting in his palm. He then closed his hand as he spoke. “That is only part of what you will have to understand.

“The next part is this: You will be judged both on your dress and your pins,” Mablin said soberly. “As part of your cover story, you will all be learning the merchant trade from me, or how to be a proper guard commander from Gradon. But you will be looked at and judged as an adult and you have to dress to the level of respect you will demand.” He let that sink in for a few moments before he continued. “Syth, Olpha, and Malachi, I will give you your pins now.” Moving to each in turn, he handed Olpha and Malachi their pins, then stopped in front of Syth. “The sacrifice you are making, in order to protect your friends deserves far more recognition than this.” Handing the pin to Syth he added “But it may make your task a little easier.” Madelyn joined him as he moved over to Thane. “We know you fit into the Teaching Echelon, but your pin will mark you as Secondary Step 5. As it is, the Guilds do not allow anyone under the age of ascension to be given Teacher Pins.” Madelyn backed up, then moved back to her seat and sat. Mablin stood there and looked them over, the pain in his chest was etched on his face from the exertion. “Xavier, Garnet, you two will test in Silverton as Shaman, I suggest you test to low secondary only, even if you could test higher. Lucas, when you test for the Sorcerer's pins, you also need to cast lower than your true ability. It is difficult, but Garnet has assured me you can all do so.”

“That makes no sense,” Thane said forcefully as he looked at his pin, then back at Mablin. “What happens if someone defeats their…” he searched for the word he needed, then found it, “Secondary enemy too easily?”

“Enemy?” Gradon asked sharply. “What do you mean?”

“When they test…” Thane stated as if it should have been obvious. When he saw that Gradon still did not understand he continued. “You know, when the Teachers scry to find a suitable enemy. If they find something that is defeated too easily, they would have to test them again until they found something that truly tested their skill.”

Seeing that Gradon was still confused, and looking at the other adults for help, Lew stood. “Hold on please.” When all eyes were on him, he looked at Thane. “I feel the testing was different in your time. When I tested last for my Secondary step four pins, I sparred with the Teacher using many different weapons to show I had command of each type of weapon, and their uses and disadvantages. I was then made to cast spells to make sure I could cast spells that were proper for the Step I was testing for. That is how we test. How is it that you were tested?”

“When I tested to enter the Skilled Echelon, the instructors tried to find an appropriate creature for me to defeat. I was then gated to that area, and Amakiir and I had to find and defeat the creature. Next, I was made to treat an injured animal to show my Healthman skills, and finally, I was to use my Priest of Vindayin powers to heal another animal. Of course, there were dangers there that Amakiir and I had to face. It took me close to a week to pass my tests.”

“Wow!” Lew said with a shake of his head. “And this was the way all of you were tested?”

“Yes,” Xavier confirmed.

“I see,” Lew replied, feeling a bit overwhelmed, as he sat down.

Mablin had to shake his head to clear it after what he just learned. “Well, it would seem that the testing you all will do here will be much easier.”

Turning to Syth, he looked him up and down. “Now remember to look as menacing as possible, display your weapons, and we will get you a book pouch…”

“You do not need to get me a pouch,” Syth said. “I have one already.”

“Okay…” Mablin said with doubt. “We will speak later on this. However, If I may suggest, offer to fight without the use of spells. That will make the betting against you higher.”

“Will I be expected to set up his fights?” Thane asked.

“Yes, but luckily the Inn that I want us to stay at has its own fighting pit, so you will have your first fight there. After that, I have a feeling that the offers will come to you.”

“I see,” Thane said with a small grin. “I do believe this could very well offer some amusement after all.”

Surprisingly to his credit, Syth simply shrugged.

“Now.” Mablin continued, going back to his pacing. “What have you decided about your signets?”

Garnet spoke up to answer. “We have decided that all of us will hide our rings within our tattoos.”

“With…in…?” Mablin echoed in confusion.

“Yes,” Lucas spoke up and held up his hand. “Our tattoos are not just for decoration.” With a slight grunt of pain, Lucas pushed his ring down into his finger. The ring shimmered for a moment before it disappeared.

Mablin quickly moved over and examined Lucas’s hand. “By the gods…” He breathed out. “How did you do that?”

“It is called a dimensional portal tattoo,” Olpha explained. “Judging by your reaction, I guess you have never heard of this before. That is not surprising as it was uncommon even in our time. Basically though, through a ritual, a tattoo can be created on the skin of a person which is made to resemble an item. That tattoo can then be used as a dimensional anchor, or pouch if you will, to hold the item that the tattoo was made for.”

Those from the current time just sat there in stunned silence as one by one the others grunted and even let out a strained cry of pain as their signet rings were withdrawn into their bodies.

The silence continued for several moments before a small voice spoke up. “Can I get one?” Several of the patrol started to chuckle at the look on Aegir’s face as he pleaded with them. “Please?” he asked in a voice that was barely a step below begging.

Me too?!” Gradon’s and Lew’s chorused plea was enough to make the entire patrol burst out in laughter.

When the laughter died down, Xavier looked at Mablin with a question in his eyes. When Mablin nodded, Xavier asked his question. “What is the name of the Inn you would like us to stay at, and what do you think our accommodations will be?”

“We will be staying at the Flaming Crystal. I plan on sending Killian, and if possible, Lew.” He said, looking at Xavier for permission. Xavier looked at Lew, who nodded, Xavier in turn nodded to Mablin. “Thank you,” Mablin said, then continued. “I plan to send those two in early. They can rent one of the barns for our wagons, and then all the rooms on the ground floor. That way we can all stay together. That has the advantage of making it so we only have to watch one door at night, and we are all together in case something happens.

“You believe we can all be on the ground floor… by ourselves?” Xavier asked incredulously.

“My boy, with enough coin, anything is possible,” Mablin explained with a grin. The grin faded slightly as he continued.

“From what Garnet explained to me, you are all on what you call War Camp rules, meaning you are always in pairs. That is wise, and we need to keep to that. Two is the minimum, although more would be better.” Mablin explained, back into his instructor mode.

“My plan is to be in Silverton only long enough to sell the Dragon parts off, then we will set off for Lucas the Lost with more trade goods if that is still your plan.” He paused till he saw Xavier nod. “It will take a long time to get there, so we need to set out as soon as we can.”

Olpha raised her hand. “Just to be sure I understand everything… You want to stay in Silverton just long enough to collect the bounties on those heads we have accumulated, dispose of the prisoners profitably, sell several wagons full of dragon parts, and have those three tested.” She paused to draw a breath.

“Of course, we will also have to take some time to watch Syth earn his keep in the arena. Perhaps do a bit of shopping… All of which requires that we dress down and dumb up. And then, in our spare time, we can deal with whatever else the gods throw at us?” With what passed for an innocent expression, for an Orakin, “Did I miss anything?” Olpha asked. Lucas would have been laughing much louder had it not been for the six-fingered hand that was firmly clamped over his mouth.

Mablin blinked and cleared his throat. “Well, yes.” He cleared his throat again. “I suppose that does describe our itinerary rather well.”

“It will not work.” She said with a sad shake of her head. “The plan is too complex and calls for skills we do not possess. I know our group too well. We will not be able to pull it off.”

Mablin’s eyes went wide with shock; as he opened his mouth, she pressed on. “I know you will do all in your power to prevent any… misunderstandings, I do not doubt that. What I doubt is our ability to act in a manner that would not get us killed, all without realizing it. Our culture is just so vastly different than what you have described. There is no possible way we would not draw more attention to ourselves than we can handle. Frankly, the thought of having to deal with the life you have described and the people that you have spoken about, well, I think most of us would have a better chance surviving in a volcano than in any modern settlement.”

Mablin looked at Xavier, whose jaw was slack, and who was staring at Olpha. Before he could say anything, Olpha fixed Xavier with her eyes and softly challenged him. “Tell me if I am wrong.”

They held eye contact for a few seconds before he blinked, then slowly looked to the ground, then raised his eyes to meet Mablin’s “I can not.” he said simply.

“So what do we do now?” Gradon asked into the silence that followed.

Copyright © 2023 Roland; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 11
  • Wow 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Our group is smart enough to realize coping with this strange future may be beyond their ability and nature to adapt to in the way Mablin had planned. What will be plan B?

There are cross plots going on over the dragon's remains. We know one group is the mine owners, but the other group is still hidden and represent a danger.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Silverton is a violent, corrupt, nasty place ruled by the mineowners and not under the control of the king.

Things are going to get very messy as soon as the caravan approaches Silverton. The  mine owners want to buy what dragon and expect Mablin will sell it to them. Since they expect to make a profit, they should not be offering Mablin a fair price.Their buyer is taking enough men to be convincing or brutal, if required. However, the buyer has told someone else of the plan. Plus, another green eyed being wants intel and could be causing more trouble.

I can see a huge fight take place with the merchants' buyer demands the dragon be sold to him at a low price and his guards/criminals attempt to force the sale by fighting. The Seandrans will win combat, I expect. Mablin will realize he has to bypass the miner controlled city and sends someone in the tell his advance party to leave and meet them on the road. The mine owners will be very upset when they find out their buyer did not get the dragon. Hopefully,  Mablin is on the way to Scorpion Falls before they can find him.

I can see a further wrinkle. The Green dragons might want vengenance and the kill all in the caravan and bring back the fallen green dragon. They should have spies out looking for the caravan and if they find out about the miner's plan --someone has found out--could follow the buyer to the caravan and let the two sides fight and then kill the winners and bring back the green dragon. The greens in any form  will be routed when they face Sand Dragons should they appear

But now the potential efffort to buy the dragon before they get to Silverton is not known. Mablin and others have come up with a plan for the Seandreans to act against their nature. I can see  an issue with the inability of the young Seandrans being able to act appropriately for the city and this time and will get into trouble fast. They see no solution as the chapter ends. Things can change as we know from the possible upcoming forced dragon sale and possible combat. As it stands, before they start on the road to Silverton, I can see an option for just Mablin and Gradon go into Silvertion for a short stay to sell dragon parts and the rest bypass the city start on the road for Scorpion Falls.

This next chapter should be scary and violent and full of surprises. I expect Xavier and his mates will make the difference and will help Mablin and his team become victorious.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I really should get a map of the Kandric world online, so people can see where things are.

FYI, Scorpian Falls is way to the west and south of Silverton. The gang is headed for Lucas The Lost after Silverton. That village is North and east of where they are now.

spacer.png

  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
33 minutes ago, Al Norris said:

I really should get a map of the Kandric world online, so people can see where things are.

FYI, Scorpian Falls is way to the west and south of Silverton. The gang is headed for Lucas The Lost after Silverton. That village is North and east of where they are now.

spacer.png

The map helps. Where is the Iron Fortress or the Alphar lands?

  • Love 1
  • Wow 2
Link to comment

If you look to the darker grey area just below the word Sea, in the Great Ice Sea, that is where the Alphar and Garm live.  And yes, Remember, Bloody Rock was 'just' outside of Slome.  Bloody Rock is what remains of the Iron Fortress.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Please understand that Kyle drew the basic map long before he actually firmed up The Kandric Saga. The only city location on the original was Protectors Keep. He put way too many lakes on the map.

Roland and I went through a partial map (about three years ago), cut out what you now see, and labeled stuff the best we could at the time. I need to update things, I now have a better idea of what is what.

Notice that there is no way to get from almost anywhere to Lucas The Lost via barge? That was something that Pontarious did in one of the Kandric Chapters (I'm too lazy to look it up).

  • Wow 3
Link to comment

The chapter ends---

"Mablin looked at Xavier, whose jaw was slack, and who was staring at Olpha. Before he could say anything, Olpha fixed Xavier with her eyes and softly challenged him. “Tell me if I am wrong.”

They held eye contact for a few seconds before he blinked, then slowly looked to the ground, then raised his eyes to meet Mablin’s “I can not.” he said simply.

“So what do we do now?” Gradon asked into the silence that followed."

 

I suggest the the caravan will split up. The Seandrans will stand out sorely in Silverton.Mablin and his people wll go onto Silverton to sell the dragon. The Seandrans will at some point leave Mablin and folow a path he tells the to follow to Lucas the Lost. Mablin can identify a stopping point for them to make a fortified camp and wait for Mablin to find them after he sells the dragon.

If Jameson and his men reach the caravan before the Seandrans leave the caravan, he will face resistance and trouble getting the dragon. Jameson will have an easier time demanding and buying the dragon for a low price, if Mablin is not backed up by the Seandrans.

Things are  going to get messy.

 

I

  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

I'm hoping you folks liked this chapter, as it is brand new. I messed up and this chapter will go live at the Castle on Monday the 1st. Then when Chapter 10 goes live here on the 8th, it will also go live at the Castle.

We currently have 17 chapters of Crags of which only 14 chapters are at the Castle. We currently have 13 chapters of Sands and Roland is writing up a storm to catch up to Crags. After that, I'm not at all sure of how far I can "push" Kyle to write more of Crags. But at that point, Sands will have taken its own turn and won't be dependent upon whatever Kyle writes (or doesn't) for Crags... What I'd really like is if Kyle would buckle down and write more of Kandric (which I'm positive everyone else would like).

Now to wait and see if I'm at all correct on the posting timeline, or if the two authors are gonna muck with me!

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Thank you for the update and plan. I hope things  work out as you hope. Both stories are fascinating and compelling with plenty of opportunities for exciting plot twists . I have dreamed that eventually Xavier and Kandric could meet and jointly fight Frexla in the spirit realm. But,right now they are far apart by land and do not know of each other's existence.

Roland is performing a great service by taking Sands to new directions as the Seandrans adapt and follow their dream and Xavier. They are fierce, unexpectedly powerful warriors. What is available in the City of Lucas the Lost could be a game changer for them

I also hope Kyle can devote his creative attention to a new chapter of Kandric. After killing their queen, the hidden green dragons must be seeking to end his life using tricks and subterfuge to catch him unaware.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

The clues for Lucas the Lost are all out there. I picked up on them long before Roland asked me about it. That's about all I can say without giving away anything...

Edited to add: As far as Frexla goes... 🤐🤐🤐

Edited by Al Norris
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..