Jump to content
    SidLove
  • Author
  • 1,250 Words
  • 2,195 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. <br>

Comforting Love - 3. Chapter 3

3

 

Lucinda was a doting grandmother. She would check on Luke once every hour, either stopping by his room when she was home, or calling Lily when she was working.

Lily, on the other hand, would just be there somewhere around in case Luke gave me difficulties I couldn’t handle. But, I was being cautious and patient with him, so there was little likelihood of problems. It seemed Luke was starting to enjoy me being around. At least, Lily said had never seen him so free and happy. I guess he showed that in his own way because the only signs I saw was a sheepish smile when I said or did something he liked.

Lucinda’s plan was that I should spend at least a week trying to build a bond between us. So my first tactic was to try to penetrate the barrier that Luke adopted against strangers and change. For the first couple of days, Luke remained aloof in his own world while I would try to engage him in conversation. Sometimes, he’d just remain silent, not even indulging me with monosyllables.

A one-sided conversation is tough, but my conscience made me persist, despite negative thoughts pulling me down. Sometimes his behaviour suggested Luke didn’t care if I even existed. And that hurt me for some reason.

However, all that changed one day when I was very late arriving. I rang the bell, frantically trying to invent excuses for when I would be asked I was late. During the first week of the job. I was so dead! It was my own fault. I got after-school detention for day-dreaming in class rather than concentrating on what the teacher was saying. I stood thinking how I had messed things up until the maid opened the door and I headed to Luke’s room. There was no sign of Luke, and I almost freaked. Frantically I scanned the room, checking around the bed, couch, even the study table, but Luke wasn’t there. I dashed back out to ask the maid about his absence, but piano music, accompanied by a soft melodious hum stopped me dead. It was so sweet it compelled me seek it out.

Lily’s bedroom door was half open. Her son had drifted off to sleep on the bed nearby ,while Lily’s amazing voice did significant justice to Cindy Lauper’s True Colors. I watched the serene scene, lost in the moment, until Lily finished and the spell broke.

When Lily turned to see me at the door I lowered my eyes guiltily as she rose from the piano and approached. I braced for the third degree for being late, but Lily greeted me in her usual gentle voice. When I returned the greeting, I tried to convey my guilt and regret in my voice and my eyes.

Lily nodded over at the peacefully sleeping Luke and said, “He just went to sleep.”

I nodded back, uneasily. My excuses were now a mess in my head and I tried to formulate a reply as Luke stirred in his sleep, rolling onto his back. “Um… you really have a nice voice.”

Lily smiled back and told me she sings the song often. I was amazed to learn Luke liked that particular song, and especially his mother singing it. “It’s the best way to calm him,” she said, taking a long pause to stare at me, making my mind race in panic.

“Luke kept asking about you.”

The bald statement shocked me, but it thrilled me too. I must have looked like a fool with the grin that broke over my face, but I couldn’t help it. LUKE MISSED ME! It took effort for me not to start dancing right there, in front of Lily. But reality hammered home when Lily went on to tell me how Luke was afraid he’d lost his friend, and I’d never want to see him again. I was crushed when she said it had been hard to convince him otherwise.

I began a frantic apology, but Lily dismissed it with a wave and a smile, rubbing my arm as she left the room saying she had some quick calls to make and she’d be back.

Almost automatically I sat on the soft bed, watching the pretty blond resting serenely, and reached to touch his cheek. Luke moaned softly but his eyes stayed closed as I began caressing his face. I smiled at his cuteness and sighed heavily.

Gorgeous.

Luciano Grimaldi was one handsome guy! His distinct charm and gorgeous features would attract anyone. His eyes were beautiful, deep with love, and his smile so effective it would brighten any surroundings. And Noah Mayer wasn’t immune!

I was so attracted to Luke, I knew being with him, would make me completely happy and content. He was just perfect. Others might disagree, but they‘re not me. Yes, he is autistic … so what? That doesn’t change my feelings for him. If anything it strengthened my feelings. I kept thinking how my carelessness could have separated me from him. I was struck how much the thought of losing him scared me. In an incredibly short period of time, with nothing more than his sweet, uncomplicated innocence, he’d seduced me. Until this point I had been sure Luke felt no need of me, but I had been wrong. ‘Why in the world can’t I understand you?,’ I thought to myself. It was all a lot more complex than I had anticipated, but I still wanted to understand.

Suddenly, a stern voice calling my name shattered my reverie.

Oh, no! Lucinda!

Mortal panic gripped me and I frantically stood as she stalked off with a last glance at Luke. I followed her to the hallway where she stood, arms crossed aggressively over her chest. She had good reason to be mad at me, and I felt intimidated enough to launch into an explanation of why I had arrived so late. I took a chance and opted for honesty about the detention, but she wasn’t particularly impressed.

She didn’t go too hard on me, but she was no pussycat either. I knew I was going to be fired when she said how disappointed she was. The worst of it was when she said her grandson didn’t need irresponsible people as his tutor. I had to agree. My head drooped as she listed my failings, but it was my heart which sank on her final sentence. “I am sorry I have to say this, but I can’t employ you anymore, Noah. You may leave now.” I shut my eyes shut as the words hit home.

“Noah won’t go.”

My eyes flew open and I turned to see Luke behind me. I glanced briefly at Lucinda, then back at him. His eyes were boring through me at one place. Before I knew what was happening he was running right into my arms. Lucinda’s grin was victorious as she watched Luke wrap his arms around me. I, though, was completely perplexed. Then I understood this was her plan all along.

She was a crafty old bird!

Luke kept mumbling things that made me grin with happiness, too. “Noah can’t go. He’s my friend. Friends don’t leave you. So,

Noah won’t leave me either. Right Noah?,” he asked as he cuddled into the embrace the more his insecurity rose.

I gave into the hug and lowered my head on Luke’s shoulder, whispering close to his ear.

“No I won’t. Ever.”

 

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

Copyright © 2012 SidLove; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. <br>
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..