Jump to content
    Swhouston44
  • Author
  • 735 Words
  • 755 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Bleating Off - 1. Off White Sox

This is a bit of a tale with a little something from my past. Most of it's true. Names were changed for your wellbeing.

Once upon a time there was a kitten named (changed the name to protect the innocent) Sox. He was a real mutt of an animal, but was so pale grey he was nearly white, long hair herringbone coat. At the time I had several other cats residing with me and Gordon. We lived right downtown in a microscopic community of almost 3000, but was 50 miles from Houston.

A business client had given Sox to me. He was barely six weeks old at the time. Ziggy, a darker grey tom, Sherman, a ginger Manx, and Ramses (Rom), a fawn colored Abyssinian fellow residents, along with myself, Bo Grant.

A poorly heated and cooled Roman revival monstrosity of a house was our home. It was only a three bedroom, but was well over three thousand square feet of house, not including a full basement (imagine that near Houston) and several outbuildings.

One of the outbuildings was a guesthouse Gordon’s father used as a weekend home.

.     .     .

The three other cats played together well, but Rom tended to isolate. I’d brought him and Sherman with me when we moved from Houston. Sherman adapted quickly to the more rural environment: Rom, not so much. Ziggy was a foundling and was a particularly talented mouser.

Sherman and Ziggy adopted Sox, and took the little one on to train. In short order the kitten was seen scampering across the yard, or hiding among daylilies and azaleas in the back yard. I was most amused to watch the scamp attempt the stairs: one step up and then tumble back two.

I don’t think we’d been together more than a month when a neighboring tom almost killed Sox. I heard as the tom threw the kitten against our back door. I rushed to chase the cat off and scooped up poor Sox. He was lucky to have survived, but from then on the kitten was hunch backed.

Gordon worked in Houston. I am a realtor and I worked form home (One of our outbuildings was a small building I used for my office.)

The kitten had very long pale grey hair and a very long tail. He adored me and visa versa. One thing he did that really endeared him to me was after my evening work out and shower I’d be in shorts and a tee sitting at the computer. The little dickens would either walk very quickly past, or run, and always from right to left. Invariably and in mid pass, he’d wrap his tail boa-fashion around my right ankle, and like the little chanteuse he pretended to be would slink it over my bare skin.

Well we had a couple of years together, Sox and me. He’d run in and jump in my face, like all my cats did. He’d purr loudly, and demand to be petted.

There were a number of large, cat-chasing dogs in the area. I guess their owners thought it was a dog’s right to roam and chase things, because often the dogs were out on their own and ran as a pack at night. I was not aware of this until it was too late.

Gordon and I had been on vacation and were only back home for a day or so. It was about four o’clock in the afternoon. Gordon was upstairs watching the TV, or more probably porn…we weren’t getting along well. Anyway, I was on the computer. A neighbor calls with the news Sox is dead and told me where to find his body. The cat had met his doom. His body lay next to a highway half a block from home. I gave Sox body a cursory examination.

To this day I don’t know what killed him. I just know, that as I carried his lifeless body home for burial, my time with Sox was not over.

I can’t recall how many days after, one or two hundred, that it happened. I was at my computer, and it was early evening, before eight o’clock. It was late spring, or early summer. Our house was pretty warm. I noticed my feet were chilled just before I felt his tail wrap around my right ankle. I felt his fur drag across and even felt the tip of his tail tap both ankles, and then he was gone.

I guess it was his way of telling me goodbye.

You read it. Now review it!
All words contained here are mine and mine alone
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This was such a cute story, but I was so sad that Sox had to die.

 

It is amazing how people think their mean dogs can just roam and do at will. This was a great story:)

Link to comment
On 11/21/2012 09:44 AM, joann414 said:
This was such a cute story, but I was so sad that Sox had to die.

 

It is amazing how people think their mean dogs can just roam and do at will. This was a great story:)

Thanks Joann,

 

Still don't know what killed him, but this was a farming community, and people live by different rules there.

 

Thanks for reading it and reviewing

 

Richard

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..