Jump to content
    Swhouston44
  • Author
  • 620 Words
  • 652 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Bleating Off - 2. Last of the Summer Wine

Writing prompt 172, where we were to write using certain words...identified with bold type and underlined.
A tribute if you will or a snippet of a timely fan fiction

The last of the wine from the remaining cask filled to brimming a few pitchers lined up on the serving tables. The guests finally calm, had begun to drop face to the table, one by one, a charger their only pillow. My cousin’s parents were seated opposite each other, smiling benignly at the actions of their cousins. Roots, leafy greens, breads, and soups continued to be served to those guests cognizant enough to signal. Meat had been absent at the meal. I’d kill for even a morsel of rabbit.

I sat at a table set apart from the other, for children and the youthful, with my older sister and my brother. We were the Three Dees.

We were also Bagginses.

Besides we three, there sitting with us was an energetic and adventurous cousin. We were related to him as first cousins through our mother and as second cousins through our father. The boy was not the least secretive, or shy, but at certain times seemed to disappear before our eyes. We four all watched the goings on across the room.

My brother and sister laughed as another at the old codger table nodded slowly into a plate containing a good portion of my Aunt Belladonna’s Coconut Crumble.

“Good riddance to that rubbish!” My brother whispered sideways. “Nothing I can abide less than poorly made Coconut Pastries!” I watched my cousin twice-removed wince at my brother’s cruel words.

I tapped him on the shoulder and whispered an apology in his shapely if slightly pointy ear. It seemed to work for my cousin smiled and nodded.

My parents are stand to acknowledge and take leave of their cousins. Mother cast an eye over to Drogo. My cousin and I grin conspiratorially.

I am Dudo, my elder brother is Drogo and my sister is Dora. We and our younger cousin Bilbo are Bagginses. According to my parents the similarity between us ends there. His family has more land and a greater amount of wealth. His parent’s home was more ostentatious and better planned. It was far larger than the home of our parents.

My sister felt that didn’t make Bilbo a better person. She and I rode sitting together in the coach from home that afternoon.Drogo sat behind our parents facing me. My sister harped her concern to her two member audience.

“I mean he’s nearly 16 and still walks everywhere, no horse cart, no nothing: and always barefoot. You’d think his parents would teach him better, and buy him shoes, but no-o-o-o!!

Then there are his strange friends, and those idiotic stories he’s always telling, of some wizened old wizard with a pipe ever full of excellent herbs.”

His imaginative stories concerned the wizard and some adventure the two had been on. My siblings believe our cousin should be satisfied like them, just to idle the summer away beneath some evergreen tree with a fishing pole and a pilfered sampling of Old man Maggot’s prized herbs.

They are always on about that ring he wears on twine round his neck, nearly like a noose. Sometimes the thing seems to affect him, makes him almost giddy, and at other times there seems to be a storm cloud of doom right above his head.

Back at the table, we are all standing. My right hand lightly brushes my cousin’s. I inclined my head toward the boy and give him a wink. At my father’s insistence we all give a slight bow to Bilbo and his parents as we take our leave. Before we are to the door Bilbo runs up and something wrapped up in a bit of parchment drops into my hand.

“Protect it.” He quietly commands. “Keep it safe.”

Thanks for giving my writing a glance.
Now, you've read it. Please review it!
All words contained here are mine and mine alone
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What makes your writing so special is how different each story is and the meanings.

It is a lot of fun as a pre-teen or young teen to watch the older folks make fools of themselves though. Good job!

Link to comment
On 11/21/2012 09:48 AM, joann414 said:
What makes your writing so special is how different each story is and the meanings.

It is a lot of fun as a pre-teen or young teen to watch the older folks make fools of themselves though. Good job!

Thank you very much Joann...I enjoyed reading one or two of your writing prompts posted the past few weeks. Tell me this mam; why the heck aren't you posting your stories? Shame on you....

 

Thanks for your review,

 

Richard

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..