Jump to content
    totallyy
  • Author
  • 1,011 Words
  • 1,502 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

First Snow - 1. First Snow

The sidewalk pushed back against the soles of my feet as I strode purposefully down the street. The whipping wind stole moisture from my delicate lips, leaving fissures in their surfaces, as I tugged at the beanie perched atop of my head, attempting to shield my ears from the brutal cold.

***

“Mommy. Daddy. Look! It’s snowing,” I yelled, jumping up and down.

I perched atop the armrest of the leather armchair and peered out the large windows. I watched as the delicate flakes floated to the ground, disappearing amongst the dirt. Tracing the trajectory of a single flake as it fell with my eyes, it got lost among the dozens as they flicked and twirled in the wind.

A large beanie slipped over my eyes, someone tugging it securely over my head.


I wrestled with the unseen forces, giggling and chuckling. As the beautiful face came into view, she planted a kiss on the top of my forehead. She handed me a pair of woolly mittens that I slipped onto my pudgy little fingers.

I pulled on my tiny snow boots and hobbled one foot at a time to the front door. I shrugged on my thick coat and pulled open the door. A winter-wonderland lay before me. I threw myself onto the ground as the flurries continued to flutter in the air. Laughter bubbled and filled the cold air with a warmth only a child could emanate.

***

“How are you?” she asked, concern filling her eyes.

“I’m doing better these days,” I replied.

“There’s nothing wrong with feeling this way you know,” she said.

“I know,” I replied, mechanically.

I lay my head down on the wilting grass and stared up into the grey skies.

The pounding in my chest magnified as my name left his lips in short huffs of air. Blood raced through my veins as I stammered out a reply. His fingers combed through his tousled hair as I followed the strand of hair succumb to his touch, easing back against his head. The fingers passed through his hair, gravity pulling them back to the ground.

I looked away.

The clouds continued to drift along with the chilly wind. The silence pulsed through the long fallen leaves, trees stark naked.

I leaned into the space between us. My hand fumbled through the strands of hair, grasping tentatively at the warm skin. I closed my eyes as our lips touched lightly. I waited for the much-written-about, much-spoken-about, much-imagined spark. I waited for the fireworks to explode and my body to relax.

She pulled back and looked at me. I looked away.

The clouds continued to drift along. The wind ceased.

My reflection stood before me: deep eyes, creased forehead and a weighted frown.

“I’m gay,” I whispered.

The grey sky stared sympathetically back as I gazed endlessly into the distance. A cold droplet formed against my heated skin. A second droplet followed, then a third. The flakes fell and burrowed themselves in the warmth of the ground. I pressed my back against the earth, expecting the warm soil to cave and wrap me in his everlasting embrace.

I reached across the small space between us and grasped her hand. I turned to my best friend and smiled. Her slender fingers squeezed mine, warm and assuring.

“How long do you reckon it’ll take for the snow to bury us?”

***

Our hands brushed against each other as we strolled along the small sidewalk, towering concrete surrounding us, lights blaring and the noise of life deafening.

The brisk air flushed the tip of my ears. I cupped my gloved hands around them, my breath visible against the cool air. He chuckled, deep and throaty. He peeled off his leather gloves, rubbing together his palms, and brought them to my ears. His warmth banished the cold from my tingling ears. I giggled.

There on the sidewalk, his hands over my ears, my laughter ran into silence. I peered into his deep eyes. I flicked my tongue across my dry lips. I swallowed, my parched throat rough. I leaned into his sturdy frame. His lips pressed against mine: warm, soft.

Pulling back. I observed flecks of white dancing about in the night air, reflecting the colours of the city lights. I pulled off my glove, threading my fingers into his, feeling calluses pressing against my palm as the cold air swirled around us.

***

I turned the street corner, rubbing my hands together.

“There’s this guy, I think there might be something here,” he said, smiling.

I looked up, clenching my jaw, forcing my lips to part, “That sounds promising.”

He lay his palm on my back, his warmth bleeding through the sweater, provoking a cascade of shocks to course through my nerves. They spread across my insides, like cracks in glass, the pressure of his hand against my skin extending their reach.

I put one foot in front of the other, absorbed in the ache that enveloped my body.

“Let’s just remain friends,” he had said.

I cursed my agreement.

Flakes nestled in the threads of my sweater, settling against the warm patch of exposed neck, chilling my bones.

Flurries slid across my face, leaving trails down my cheeks. Flecks of snow tangled in my hair. I pulled my leather gloves on, shoving my hands into my pockets and trudged along the sidewalk.

I looked up as the dark sky sprinkled the world with powdered ice. The magic of the moment halted my thoughts, filling my exhausted body with a momentary warmth. The moment passed, the warmth leeching into the hungry air, abrasive and demanding, leaving a cold void inside of me.

I plunged my hands deeper into my pockets, tore my eyes away from the unforgiving powers and lifted my foot off the ground, taking each step slowly and deliberately. The urge to stop pulled at my feet, tempting me to splay myself on the ground, to disappear into the warm embrace of the earth. But I walked on, as the snow continued to fall.

Copyright © 2013 totallyy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 11/24/2013 02:37 PM, Lisa said:
Wow, that was...sad. It was very good writing, very descriptive.

 

Will there be more?

:D Thank you so much for reading and reviewing.

 

Probably not for this particular story with these characters but I never say never.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/24/2013 11:32 PM, Sammy Blue said:
It was sad, but also nice, in a way! I like the descriptiveness. :3
Thank you so much for the review!

 

I'm glad you liked it despite the sadness. :D

Link to comment

There is a melancholy voice to this piece and heartbreak. I particularly found that appealing because you don't mention tbe word heartbreak at all, instead, you describe it and therefore plunge the reader into the short journey. I felt the heartbreak. The snow crack. I also found joy. His happiness in finding someone to love, the angst of coming out to his best friend. I found the deepening in this piece quite hypnotic. Great piece.

Link to comment
On 11/25/2013 05:58 PM, LJH said:
There is a melancholy voice to this piece and heartbreak. I particularly found that appealing because you don't mention tbe word heartbreak at all, instead, you describe it and therefore plunge the reader into the short journey. I felt the heartbreak. The snow crack. I also found joy. His happiness in finding someone to love, the angst of coming out to his best friend. I found the deepening in this piece quite hypnotic. Great piece.
Thank you for the review!

 

I'm glad you were able to relate to the emotions in the piece.

 

Thanks for reading!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I felt a lot of different emotions in this. You are a great writer when it comes to the emotions and inner being of your characters. Softly sad and beautiful. :worship:

Link to comment

First snowfall triggers a jumble of thoughts, feelings, memories and memories of memories, tangled and multiply connected through shared elements. Besides the snow itself, my favorites are the beanie, first generous and comforting, now barely better than nothing; and the different emotions in different places attached to parched lips and bitter cold.

The structure is nearly perfect, with hints for the reader but without a clutter of signposts and tags. Language is simple and spare, images clear and sharp. Ambiguities feel comfortable and right. Why should I know the thoughts of another better than I know my own?

The bitterest, most painful memory outshines the others. Through a mist of time and healing, it casts a melancholy glare, mixed with the gentle regret of childhood lost. Yet this sombre, beautiful peace leaves me hopeful. Love is not always unrequited.

Link to comment
On 11/26/2013 02:26 AM, joann414 said:
I felt a lot of different emotions in this. You are a great writer when it comes to the emotions and inner being of your characters. Softly sad and beautiful. :worship:
thanks joann! :)

 

i try as best to capture the complexities of emotions. recently i find that the emotions of the pieces i write are getting more and more jumbled and mixed and intersecting. i don't know if i'm getting closer to or farther away from the real thing.

 

but thank you for reading. i'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/26/2013 09:53 AM, knotme said:

First snowfall triggers a jumble of thoughts, feelings, memories and memories of memories, tangled and multiply connected through shared elements. Besides the snow itself, my favorites are the beanie, first generous and comforting, now barely better than nothing; and the different emotions in different places attached to parched lips and bitter cold.

The structure is nearly perfect, with hints for the reader but without a clutter of signposts and tags. Language is simple and spare, images clear and sharp. Ambiguities feel comfortable and right. Why should I know the thoughts of another better than I know my own?

The bitterest, most painful memory outshines the others. Through a mist of time and healing, it casts a melancholy glare, mixed with the gentle regret of childhood lost. Yet this sombre, beautiful peace leaves me hopeful. Love is not always unrequited.

I love that you pick out the favourite elements of the story that i incorporated to integrate the memories and present.

 

I love your interpretation and I love the hope you feel. Lots of people might feel the piece if despondent. But the protagonist does not only recollect the painful, the bitter, the anger. He doesn't harp on loss and pain. He remembers the beautiful too.

 

As for the deliberate interwoven structure, I do dearly hope it's as you said, that it wasn't too complex and misleading. :) And the comment about the thoughts of others are so apt, even in our own heads, do we ever really know what we're thinking though? There will always be uncertainty.

 

Thank you so much for the review though! :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment

My heart sank... deep in the snow near the ending. The story has a strong totallyy style to it. I like it, but maybe one day the snow will melt, instead of waiting to be buried in it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..