Jump to content
    Tsukihana
  • Author
  • 2,061 Words
  • 889 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Crying Wolf - 6. Chapter 6

Skye

When he awakens next, daylight is shining forth in bright rays through the dingy concealing curtains. At least a long night’s slumber has done much to fortify him. Skye’s concerns are still heavy on his mind from the day before, but rest imparts him with a sense of clarity of how to approach the situation. Swinging his feet down to the floorboards, he lets loose a wide yawn as he stretches.

“New day, new start. First a bit of breakfast though…”

A deep rumbling growl in his stomach agrees wholeheartedly with the notion. Thinking hard on the previous day, Skye didn’t think he’d had no more than a cup of tea and a pint with Lynx.

“No wonder my brain was chasing itself in circles.”

From the intensity of the sunlight angling its way into his house, he must have had a decent sleep. At this time yesterday was likely when he’d been holed up trying to evade detection by those York curs.

Rambling down the stairs two at a time, he feels a dark foreboding like a cold touch to his spine when he thinks about the rival pack. Knowing just how closely they dare encroach on Leeds land leaves a foul taste in his mouth.

His footfalls are angry, echoing in the space of his kitchen as he pulls open the larder doors.

“Calm it down, man. You started off the day on a good note so don’t let the beast get you riled now. Just hungry, that’s all.”

Skye pulls down a half loaf or bread and a jar of berry preserves. Tearing off a nice hunk, he opens the glass and slathers on a generous serving. Always did have a sweet tooth… Looking up at the sparsely filled larder, it looks as though heading over to pick up a few things from McGregor’s shop is as good a place as any to start his day. Maybe the gregarious shopkeep would have a few beans to spill.

“No sense in rushing off. Damn, this batch came out delicious.”

He lets his lavender eyes drift shut from bliss as each crumbling bite melts in his mouth. If he had to hazard a guess, he’d bet that there was not another place quite like Leeds to be found nowadays. Not after the Black Death…

Hidden away behind the bastion of the Wall, the pack took care of themselves. Currency was not a thing here… just as Lynx chose to man his Pub and play barkeep, anyone was welcome to go there and have themselves a pint. In the city center there lies a quaint farm where anyone with a know-how could lend a hand in taking care of goats, chickens, and other livestock.

True, not everyone was cut out to be a farmer. Maybe you like to knit? The pack is more than happy to supply you with plenty of yarn, and if you happen to fashion thirty scarves, blankets, and who knows what else… then McGregor is all too happy to display them on his shelves for those who might need one. No one went without a home, food, clothes, or whatever another had to give in the pack.

By no means were our numbers booming, but we are more than capable of watching out for our lands and each other. Wiping his mouth on the back of his hand, Skye replaces his breakfast in the larder before turning on his heel to head for the front door.

Outside it is bright and cheery with the slightest nip of autumn in the air. Many have decided to take advantage of such nice weather and the streets are much fuller as he ventures out today. Every face is a familiar one here in Leeds, as it is common among the Bitten that it is rare… almost unheard of for a pregnancy to come to term, and even then the child was just a normal human raised literally among wolves. Never in all his years here had he seen a birth live when they did happen. It was a far more likely case like his own to occur… a poor barely hanging to life scrap of a kid attacked by a Bred wolf and brought to their doors.

“How are you? Good. Hello…”

It is a fine dance that he weaves down the sidewalk, pausing to bob his head and greet everyone. This was how they reinforced their bonds on an everyday basis. It was second nature to check on your neighbors and give them a warm greeting.

Arisa was said to set the microcosm that is Leeds in motion from the onset. She wholly expected things to be done this way and it’s not like it was hard to show simple kindness. Not like we were sniffing each other’s asses… at least not this time of month.

“Do you think she might lift the lockdown?”

“Who knows… I heard she was discreetly asking around for others to head out beyond the Wall with her.”

Skye’s ears figuratively perk as he overhears the snippets of conversation. Anne and Laurel are standing beneath the eaves of Laurel’s house chatting. Unable to help himself, he leans against the gate of her small yard.

“Excuse me, Ladies, I overheard the conversation.”

Laurel turns her brunette curls in his direction, tsk’ing softly.

“I heard what you’ve been up to, Skye. Do you really think it’s wise to go and stoke her ire at you?”

“Only wanted to see…”he continues in a lower tone, “besides it’s not like she can’t get on me any more than she already did.”

The look she shoots him begs to differ.

“Last I heard, she was headed back to the Manor to have a word with Jane.”

“Thanks, and have a lovely day, Ladies.”

“Make sure she doesn’t turn you into a rug this time!”

Groceries forgotten, he changes course to head east in the direction of the manor house set on a hillock. This is a sign of divine providence that is too obvious to pass up. The leader of their pack was calling for volunteers, and who was he to rest on his laurels? This is his civic duty.

“Sure thing, lad, tell yourself what you need to…”

Skye tells himself more of how this is not a mistake, and something that he will certainly come to regret. After all, he went so far as to go questioning Lynx of all people. It’s instinct that is making him pursue this… and duty, mustn’t forget duty.

The wrought-iron gate creaks loudly as he lets himself into their large fenced yard, and sunken paver stones lead up to the raised wraparound porch. Once he is actually standing at the door, his bravado momentarily deserts him and he finds himself awkwardly shuffling from foot to foot.

“Just knock on the damned door already.”

Tsk.

“I know what I’m doing.”

Arm outstretched, he raps smartly on the glass inlaid door several times. Stepping back with hands shoved in his pockets he waits. Long minutes pass, but Skye knows they are aware of his presence. Sure enough, he can hear the sound of soft measured footfalls approaching.

‘Jane then…’

As the door swings inward, she steps back to allow him entry. Sable ringlets frame a pair of cinnamon colored eyes, which do not bother to hide their rolling as he passes her. Her features are perpetually set in the no-nonsense impassivity of a school marm. If you took Jane at face value alone, though, you would be making a grave error indeed. With a mind like a trap, her mental acuities were wicked sharp and she possessed the eerie talent of looking at you as though she can peer into your soul.

A heavy sigh.

“Good morning, Skye. It is almost a good afternoon…”

Turning to face her, he bows with respect at the waist.

“It is always a pleasure, Jane. Thank you for receiving me, and I hope you and the Mrs. are well today.”

She can’t help the snort that escapes her lips, ruining the severe set of her mouth.

“Don’t come in here with your sass, lad. Like she hasn’t already told me all about your little shenanigans… I know why you are here, Skye.”

He at least has the chagrin to blush, he deserves this welcome.

“Sorry. I know I have no right to come here, especially after my… infractions, but if I may I would like to chat with both of you. Let me at least plead my case.”

Closing the door, she precedes him further into the house.

“You know we have nothing against hearing you say your piece, Skye, but there are… caveats to this. C’mon then. Might as well bring you to the study, as I expect she has caught wiff of you by now.”

After trailing Jane down several hallways, Skye hears an audible groan when he pauses within the arching doorway or Arisa’s posh study.

“Are you a glutton for punishment, pup?”

The booted heels of her feet are crossed atop the scuffed surface of her desk, and a tumbler of amber liquid swirls in her hand.

“Didn’t we have a friendly chat yesterday?”

“You always were fond of saying that I am the most rock-headed of your strays.”

“Oh, with a certainty you are that. I know more conceding mules than you, Skye.”

“May I sit, pack leader?”

Arisa gives a genuine laugh at his attempt of meek impassiveness.

“Not like it has ever stopped you from sitting before, pup.”

Jane graciously sets a second tumbler before her wife before moving aside to stand at the window. The Alpha drops her feet to the carpet and sets about pouring him a glass before continuing.

“I have a fairly good idea of what you want. Never were good at just minding your business, but seeing as I was the one to go asking around… I do owe you this. Yes, Skye, I am looking for a few able volunteers to accompany me outside the Wall.”

“The lockdown?”

“Remains in place, but there are things of glaring importance that have been brought to my attention and these are not things that as pack leader I can ignore. This is not a normal patrol, though…”

There is something in her tone that sends a chill down his spine, not unlike upon his waking this morning… Whatever Arisa said next, he was not going to like it.

“You are already aware of the extent to which the York pack has encroached on our territory, as well as… some other threatening presence that is also afoot. Leeds will remain on lockdown until further notice, but I will be making an in wolf expedition outside to make countermeasures and investigate.”

In wolf…

There it is.

The punch to the gut he was waiting for…

“I see… Arisa, I…”

Words fail Skye, and he knows that his face is already fully displaying the horror he feels at the thought of willingly giving way to the beast.

“Just hold on. Don’t force yourself. Yes, I know that you want to go and we all know how you feel about the wolf. Do you really want to do this to yourself? Is the hope of answers worth it, Skye?”

Tossing back the tumbler, the amber liquor is a far cry from Lynx’s ale, but it’s also necessary in order to rally his courage.

“I know that I am not the easiest, most obedient member of the pack… but I also value what you have built here for us. These are not easy days, not a bit, and it rubs me the wrong way to see things standing as they are now.”

‘I can’t believe I am about to say this shit… Fuck…’

“Having been apprised of what is required of me, please consider letting me join you.”

Her green eyes lock onto his lavender gaze for what feels like an eternity as she weighs his words. Eventually, Arisa looks away and a heavy sigh rasps up from what feels like the very depths of her soul.

“Very well. As long as you understand and accept.. It’s not as though I can argue. You are young, able-bodied, and know your way around out there.”

A look of dark doubt remains, but she nods her assent.

“We leave at dusk.”

Copyright © 2020 Tsukihana; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Very interesting that they are going outside in wolf form.  Wonder what that will do when the mates meet?

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Beyond the pack from York and the potential mate for Sky in Finn, something sinister awaits, what is lurking in the shadows???

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..