Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 866 Words
  • 2,035 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2014 Prompt Responses - 15. Prompt 316

Create a story using the following image as inspiration: a picture of an old car

Sebastian stood in line at the DMV, clutching the worn title and tapping his hand on his leg nervously. It was a bittersweet day for him. He turned twenty-one today, which meant that he was now the proud owner of his grandfather’s 1932 Buick.

As soon as Sebastian was old enough to hold a wrench, his grandfather had him in the garage helping him work on the Buick. Throughout his childhood, Sebastian and his grandfather worked together to restore and maintain the old classic. He loved that car and the opportunity it provided for him to bond with his grandfather, especially after his parents disowned him.

Sebastian frowned at the memory. When his parents walked in on him kissing his boyfriend, they hadn’t taken it well. Sebastian was at least allowed to pack a suitcase before he was shoved out the door. How considerate of them, he thought bitterly. He was numb and terrified when he had reached his grandparents’ house, but he had nowhere else to go. His grandmother had taken his suitcase from him while his grandfather led him to the garage.

“I’m sorry, PopPop,” Sebastian had whispered.

His grandfather simply grunted “Pass me that wrench, boy.”

Sebastian’s hand shook as he handed PopPop the wrench and a hot tear fell down his cheek.

His grandfather frowned and shook his head as he took the wrench, muttering to himself.

Sebastian sat down dejectedly and the tears fell harder. “Please don’t hate me.”

His grandfather didn’t look up from the engine. “I love you, son. I could never hate you for who you are. I’m not upset with you. I’m upset with your parents. Now hand me that socket wrench.”

Sebastian paused in his reminiscing to wipe a tear from his eye. He and his grandfather had made a deal when Sebastian had just entered high school. The 1932 Buick would be his on his twenty-first birthday, provided he graduated from college. He wanted nothing more than for PopPop to be at his side right now experiencing this rite of passage with him.

Sebastian had a difficult time after his parents had kicked him out. He became very depressed and lashed out at those closest to him. He started drinking and doing drugs and radically changed his appearance. He cut his hair into a mohawk and dyed it black with one white strip. He got multiple piercings and tattoos and wore a lot of leather. The idea was to keep people away, and for the most part it worked.

One night, Sebastian got drunk and drove home at 3:00am. Luckily, he managed to avoid having an accident on the road; however he did drive across the lawn and managed to hit the ’32 Buick causing extensive damage. That was a turning point in Sebastian’s life. His grandfather had been furious. He made Sebastian pay for all the parts and repair the car himself. The worst part for Sebastian had been seeing the disappointment in his grandfather’s eyes. He made a vow that night to never see that look again.

Shortly after that, he met Max. Max was a big part of why Sebastian cleaned up his act. Max had refused to date Sebastian until he got clean and sober, and from that day forward he hadn’t touched either drugs or alcohol. Max had encouraged Sebastian to get his GED and attend technical school. He recently earned his certification and found a good job at a local auto repair shop.

It hurt Sebastian deeply that his grandfather wasn’t at his graduation. He passed away two years ago from a heart attack. Sebastian carried deep-seated guilt that his behavior had aged the old man prematurely, even though his grandmother and Max assured him otherwise.

He handed the clerk the appropriate paperwork, and a few signatures later he was officially the Buick’s owner.

When he exited the building, his heart raced as he saw a weathered old man running his hands along the side of the car. He gripped the papers tightly and walked over to the old man who looked so much like his PopPop.

The old man smiled at him. “She’s a beauty. Is she yours?”

Sebastian held up the crumpled papers. “She is now.”

The old man smiled wistfully. “My first car was a ’32 Buick just like this one. I bought one about twenty years ago to restore with my grandson. He loved that car.”

Sebastian looked at the old man in shock. “This car belonged to my grandfather. We restored it together.”

The old man patted Sebastian’s arm. “I bet he’s very proud of you, young man.”

“I’d like to think so. He passed away two years ago.” Saying the words brought a fresh stab of pain.

“My grandson passed away almost two years ago. He fell in with the wrong crowd and overdosed on heroin. You remind me of him, young man.” The old man chuckled softly. “You have the same god-awful hair.”

Sebastian laughed and put his arms around the old man’s shoulders. “Would you like to get a cup of coffee? It sounds like we have a lot in common.”

“I’d like that,” the old man said softly.

Thanks for reading! All feedback is appreciated :)
Copyright © 2014 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Awful parents :,( I'm glad his grandparents were there for him. Sad story, but his life changed to the better at the end. Now he have the car, a boyfriend and a substitute grandpa :):great:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/16/2014 07:52 AM, Slytherin said:
Awful parents :,( I'm glad his grandparents were there for him. Sad story, but his life changed to the better at the end. Now he have the car, a boyfriend and a substitute grandpa :):great:
Thanks:) Sebastian is definitely on the right track now, and he has Max and his new 'grandpa' to keep him there. Thanks for the review! :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

You keep writing heart-warming stories like this and you'll be out of the blue in no time. :thumbup:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/16/2014 09:21 AM, Ron said:
You keep writing heart-warming stories like this and you'll be out of the blue in no time. :thumbup:
Thanks :)
Link to comment

That tugged the heartstrings. sniff sniff. of course PopPop is proud of him. and now he's got a new PopPop and the old man has a new grandson. Isn't the universe grand? I'm so glad I took a chance on reading this. Thank you for writing it. :2thumbs:

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I really liked this concept, it was really interesting to watch. My only change would be that it would see nice to 'see' some of these things happening, rather than just be 'told' them - but i understand that would end up being a much longer story.

Also - nice to know what sort of car that was. i hadn't a clue.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/16/2014 02:03 PM, LadyDe said:
That tugged the heartstrings. sniff sniff. of course PopPop is proud of him. and now he's got a new PopPop and the old man has a new grandson. Isn't the universe grand? I'm so glad I took a chance on reading this. Thank you for writing it. :2thumbs:
Thanks for reading and reviewing :)
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/16/2014 05:05 PM, Sasha Distan said:
I really liked this concept, it was really interesting to watch. My only change would be that it would see nice to 'see' some of these things happening, rather than just be 'told' them - but i understand that would end up being a much longer story.

Also - nice to know what sort of car that was. i hadn't a clue.

I definitely could have written a ton more about these guys, especially Max. Thanks for the review and I'm glad you liked it :)
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Good story. Glad Sebastian found the motivation to turn his life around and earn that car.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/20/2014 10:50 AM, Percy said:
Good story. Glad Sebastian found the motivation to turn his life around and earn that car.
Thanks for reading :) I'm glad you liked it :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..