Jump to content
    vlista20
  • Author
  • 6,297 Words
  • 9,182 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Unbreakable Faith - 12. Chapter 12

Unbreakable Faith

Chapter 12

Walking into home ec Ian was very happy to see Nathan already there. “You did it!” he said as he sat down next to him at a table for two.

Nathan grinned at him. “Yeah it was simple. I actually got a congratulatory speech for broadening my horizons.” He stopped and smiled a little bigger. “Mark told me your email address. I love it.”

Ian blushed. “I hope it comes true.”

“What do you mean?”

“That we are together forever.”

Nathan smiled as he rubbed his hand down Ian’s arm. “I hope so too. I certainly picture us together years into the future. Did you know we are gonna have two kids?”

Ian looked at him and laughed. “I may be a little naive but I know that’s just not possible.”

Nathan laughed right back at him. “No,” he shook his head and chuckled some more. “Man Ian,” after some more laughing he composed himself enough to speak a full sentence. “We can adopt kids.”

“Ohhh,” Ian’s head moved up and down as he said it. “You really think of us adopting? You see us that far into the future?”

“Sure I do. Do you?”

“Yeah, though I hadn’t thought of kids. You’re gonna be a very handsome old man by the way.”

Chuckling again Nathan gently squeezed his arm around Ian’s wrist. “You too. You look so sexy with that walker.”

Ian busted out laughing, he put his hand up to his mouth to stifle it but it did little good. He didn’t remember ever laughing so hard. It felt very, very good. He had to put his head down on the table to try and control it as the teacher walked in. He felt a hand on his back and thought it was Nathan. To his surprise, when he looked up, he saw the teacher standing over him.

“You okay hon?”

“Yes ma’am.” He answered quickly, sobering up. “I was just laughing, I’m sorry.”

She grinned at him. “Well you are allowed to laugh in here dear. We like to have a little fun in this class.”

Ian nodded grinning back at her. “Thanks.”

She chuckled, rubbed his back once more, and then walked off to the front of the room. “Now Ian and Nathan,” she said turning back to the class. “We are already separated off into groups of two, so the two of you will be partners in the projects that we do. I’m sensing that’s not a problem for either of you.”

They both smiled at each other then shook their heads at her.

“Okay then, today we are going to plan a meal. A well balanced meal that has to be within a budget. Each group has ten dollars to spend and the meal has to include a dessert.” She spent some time going over the food groups then handed out flyers to the grocery store. “You’ll need to write up lists of what you need. Make sure you get everything down because during my free class I’m going to go pick up all this stuff. If you forget something chances are good you’ll have to do without it unless someone else or the cafeteria has extras. I’ll be getting enough butter for the whole class but everything else you need to write down.”

“It also needs to be something that can be prepared in an hour. You guys will have lunch in here tomorrow so you can eat what you make. Keep that in mind before you decide on liver just because it’s cheap.”

The class all chuckled and Ian got the distinct impression this was a very nice teacher. She handed out the flyers. Ian slid closer to Nathan, who laid the flyer open on the table. “What’s your favorite food?” Nathan asked.

Ian shrugged. “I don’t really know, what’s yours?”

“Lobster, but I have a feeling that’s too expensive,” he said chuckling.

“How expensive is it?”

“It would cost us more than ten dollars just for two lobsters.”

“Wow,” he said as he looked over the flyer then put his finger down on a picture of spaghetti. “I like that, that’s cheap. Do you like that?”

“Yeah I do. You wanna do that?”

“Mmm yeah that sounds good.” The rest of the meal planning was quick work. They picked out sauce, wrote down a thing of garlic bread and chose pudding for dessert.

“So guess what?” Ian said leaning back in his chair when they were done.

“Um,” Nathan leaned back as well and smiled at him. “I have no idea.”

Ian chuckled, he hadn’t really expected him to try and guess in the first place. “I got a foster home. Cept I gotta wait five weeks to actually move in.”

Nathan put his hand on Ian’s knee and squeezed it. “That’s awesome. Do you know the people?”

“Yeah, it’s the reverend of the church I’m going to now and his family. They are so incredibly nice. They’ve got a son, like your age. They’ve got a daughter too, but she’s already moved out.”

“This reverend, he’s nothing like your dad is he?”

“No,” Ian shook his head emphatically. “Not one bit. He’s very nice and I even asked him what he thought of homosexuality. He doesn’t mind it. He’s a lot more liberal than my dad.” He looked down at the table, rubbed his hands together nervously then looked back up at Nathan. “You spose you’d ever go to church with me?”

Nathan looked back at him and was quiet for a couple seconds. “If it’s important to you Ian, I’ll go. I am not against God or religion, just I’ve never gone to church,” he stopped to chuckle for a second. “My mom is gonna think something major is wrong with me.”

“Why?”

“Well cause first off I started taking home ec. If I tell her I’m going to church she’s gonna wonder who has possessed my brain.”

“Will she be mad?”

“No, not at all. When are you gonna be able to come over and meet her?”

Ian’s eyes widened. “You want me to meet your mom?”

“Yeah, I told her all about you. She really wants to meet you.”

“She knows we are a couple?”

Nathan nodded.

“And she wasn’t mad?”

Chuckling again, Nathan shook his head. “I came out to them a long time ago. Any disappointment or shock they may have felt is gone now.”

“Well I’m not sure if I’m allowed to go to people’s houses. I’ve been able to go to church and a church hike last weekend, but I haven’t asked about just going to visit someone. And it would have to be a weeknight cause I’m going to stay with my future foster family this weekend.” He smiled happily and Nathan squeezed his knee again.

“I’m happy for you.”

Ian smiled again. “I’m happy for me too. I can’t believe all I was missing out on before. It’s all a little overwhelming, but I’m very happy.” He crossed his arms and leaned back a little further. “That in itself, being happy, I’ve never even felt that before. Not happy like I feel now.”

Nathan smiled sympathetically at him. “I can’t imagine going through the first fifteen years of my life and not feeling happy.” He reached out and took one of Ian’s hand, holding it in both of his own. “But this is my pact Ian. I plan to see to it that I make you happy enough to make up for all those other years. I plan to make sure you get your share of happiness.”

Ian smiled, blinking back tears, just as the bell rang. They were still looking into each other’s eyes as the room emptied out around them. Nathan tore his eyes away from Ian’s to make sure they were really alone then looked back at him and smiled. “Would it be alright if I kissed you Ian?”

Ian’s heart started tingling, which then sent those tingles through the rest of his body, this was it, this was the moment he’d been waiting for. He managed to find his voice, “I’d like that.” Starting to feel a little nervous he added, “But I’ve never done it before. What do I do?”

“Well,” Nathan’s eyes raked over Ian’s face. “First you close your eyes, and then lean towards me a little bit.” He waited until Ian did as instructed then figuring the rest would teach itself he leaned over toward Ian. He pressed his lips into Ian’s, gently caressing their soft surfaces. Intimately exploring every part of them. The soft folds he’d longed for so long to kiss. Though he wanted to explore further with his tongue he was firm in his convictions to not go too fast. He didn’t want to scare Ian off because he already couldn’t picture his life without Ian in it.

Tingling all the more, Ian’s heart pounded in his ears as the kiss deepened. He’d never felt anything so great, never tasted anything so sweet. He wanted to laugh and cry at the same time. His eyes didn’t open back up until Nathan pulled back and his lips, though never kissed before, became terribly lonely. He put his finger up to his now very warm lips and smiled over at Nathan. “That was just the best thing ever.”

Nathan’s moist lips widened into a grin. “See no training necessary you’re a natural.”

“I didn’t even do anything,” he said still rubbing his finger along his lips.

“Yeah you did, you did great.” He took a hold of Ian’s hand and they both stood up. “I’m hungry now.”

Ian laughed the whole way out of the classroom as Nathan pulled him along, not that he had to be pulled, as he was now, more than ever, willing to follow the guy anywhere.

They got their food and sat down across from Mark and Jason at their usual table. “You guys are late.” Mark exclaimed while Jason eyed them then started to snicker. “And you look a bit flushed.” He added.

Ian’s mouth dropped open wondering how in the heck they’d been able to tell anything had gone on.

Nathan shook his head and chuckled. “Don’t be too spooked. Jason has a sixth sense about these things. I call it ‘being way too horny.”

Ian snorted and quickly put his hand over his mouth while his face turned beet red. The other’s all laughed at him, which he didn’t really mind as he was sure they were all his friends. Nathan rubbed his back. “You okay babe?”

Ian nodded, flushing with happiness at being called babe. “Ahh,” he said after a moment. “Just try not to say that in church if you decide to come.”

Nathan laughed as he nodded. “No problem. And I’ve already decided to go. You just need to tell me the place and the time.”

Ian clasped his hands together. “Oh yeah,” he looked down at his hands. “Um well since I’m already in position.” He bowed his head and closed his eyes. Mark, Jason and Nathan all smiled at each other as Ian silently prayed. None of them had ever thought they’d be such close friends with someone who would actually take time to pray at a school lunch but the more Ian did it, the more he stood strong for his convictions, the more Mark and Jason grew to like him and the more Nathan grew to love him.

Friday, after getting home from school, Ian hurried up to his room and packed his duffel bag with enough clothes for two days, plus pajamas, socks and underclothes. He was so excited he was sure he’d forget something so he double checked everything he had then re-checked his room just to make sure.

After being satisfied he’d gotten everything, he walked back down the stairs to where Kyle was just coming into the entry way from the living room. “All set?”

“Yes sir,” he answered stepping off the bottom stair.

“Do you want a ride over?”

He chuckled. “No I think I can make it.”

Kyle smiled at him. “Okay, well have a good time and I’ll see you Sunday night okay?”

“Yes sir,”

“Hold on just a minute!” Kelly said coming out of the dining room. She walked up to Ian and put her arms around him. “You didn’t think you could leave without saying goodbye to me did you?”

Ian smiled at her as he put his arms around her. “Sorry ma’am.”

She squeezed him extra tight before she let go and smiled at him. Though he’d only been there two weeks, she already felt very strongly about him and was sure she was really going to miss him when he was no longer living there.

He left the house a minute later. It took about three minutes to get to the Delmar’s, his excitement building with each step. By the time he knocked on their door he was literally shaking with excitement.

Greta Delmar opened the door and smiled out at him. “Come right in honey.” She took his bag as he walked through the door. Even though the bag was in her hand, she managed to give him a good strong hug. “You’re shaking, are you cold?”

Ian blushed as he looked up at her. “No ma’am. I think it’s just cause I’m excited.”

She chuckled as she squeezed his shoulder. “Well I’m honored then. I’m very excited you’re here as well.”

He smiled, now even more excited, though he’d not thought it was possible. She set his bag down then led him over to the living room where she sat down on the couch and he sat down beside her. “Well you’ve got a decision to make.”

“Oh but I already have. I told Mr. Delmar.”

“Oh not that dear.” She clarified after figuring out what he was talking about. “See we have a spare room, one that could be all yours. But Matt wants you to share his room. He’s really excited about having a brother and thinks you two could bond better in the same room.” She grinned then continued. “But it’s up to you. If you want your own room we have one for you, but if you’d rather stay in Matt’s room that’s fine too. So I have to ask, which would you prefer?”

Incredibly honored Matt wanted him in his room; Ian didn’t have to decide at all. “I’ll share with Matt.”

Greta smiled; already sure the two boys would get along just fine. “Alright then.” She stood back up, and then led him upstairs to Matt’s room. “There’re already two beds in here.” She opened the door and let Ian walk in first. The room was even nicer than at the Harvey’s. A light grey carpet covered the floor. There were two windows in the room on the far wall and the beds both came out from the windows. So if he felt like it, he could lie on his stomach and just look right outside. On the wall to the right was a very large bureau and a computer desk that had a computer on it. He was excited to see there was one in the room. He’d never even thought that was possible. Had thought they were real expensive. If he knew Matt as well as he thought he did he was sure he’d get to use it some too.

The beds had dark green comforters on them and even had dark blue bed skirts and pillows. Two colors he realized that went awfully well together. On the left wall was a long doorway that he figured had to be a closet. “Wow,” he shook his head as he continued to look it over. “This is a very, very nice room.”

Greta chuckled beside him. “Consider it yours, and Matt’s of course.”

He turned and smiled at her. “Where is he?”

“His school goes until three. He’ll be here in a few minutes. Why don’t you get settled up here? He already cleaned out the drawers on the right side of the bureau for you to put your things in. The bathroom is right across the hall; you can put your bathroom supplies in there. That bathroom is just for you and Matt so you don’t have to worry about taking up too much space.”

“Thank you ma’am.”

“You can call me Greta, Ian, if you want.”

He nodded. “Well I’ll try. If you want. But it’s hard to remember sometimes.”

She smiled as she patted his shoulder. “Well I’m not going be mad if you call me ma’am. It’s just so formal. You do what you want to do okay?”

He nodded again, hoping to be able to call her ‘mom’ someday.

He was just putting his pants into the second drawer down on his side of the dresser when Matt burst into the room. He hurried over to Ian and gave him a quick strong hug. “Oh Ian, I’m so excited. And so excited you actually wanted to share a room.” He pulled back still holding Ian by the shoulders. “Are you excited?”

Ian smiled happily up at him. “Of course I am Matt. I think this is all just the best thing ever.”

“I wish we didn’t have to wait the five weeks. My parents do too. We want you living here as of now.”

Nodding, Ian couldn’t agree more. “Least I get to come stay on the weekends though.”

Matt turned back to his bed where he deposited his pack then flopped down himself. “Do you like the room?”

Ian looked around at it again as he nodded. “Definitely. Did you always have two beds in here? Or just put the second in?”

“I always had two beds; for when I had people over, plus at holidays when the cousins come to stay. Believe me I’d much rather have you in here than any of them.”

Ian put the last of his clothes away then walked over and laid down on what would be his bed. He rolled up onto his side, propped his head up on his hand and looked over at Matt. “Does your mom work during the day?”

“Not officially. She doesn’t have a 9 to 5 job. But she’s most always busy either preparing events for the church or doing stuff to help families in the church.”

“Does your dad do that stuff too?”

“Oh yeah, he plans stuff too. But he also works at the school. He teaches some of the classes. And just is around if anyone needs him. He has his office over there too so he works in there a lot.”

“What time does he usually get home?”

“Around five.”

“And what do you guys do in the evenings?” He moved his casted hand up and put it in front of his chest. “I mean what’s your routine?”

Matt rolled over onto his side as well and looked at him. “Well on a typical evening we have supper around six. Then I do up the dishes while Mom and Dad catch the late news. After supper sometimes we watch a movie, sometimes I just come up here and do my homework, sometimes Dad has to go back over to the church.” He stopped when Ian started to chuckle.

“So there is no real routine?”

Matt grinned as he shrugged. “No not really. What’s the routine over at the group home?”

“Well, we have free time until dinner at five thirty, then chores from after dinner until they’re done, then study hour at seven then more free time from eight til bedtime at ten.”

“That’s pretty uniform.”

“Not really. I never know what to do with my free time. Usually I just spend it on my bed in my room.”

“Don’t you get along with any of the other kids there?”

“Yeah, a couple of them are real nice. It’s the ones that aren’t nice that makes me hide in my room.” He rolled over onto his back as he laughed a little bit. “Self preservation I guess.”

“How do you like public school?”

“I like it. Liking it more every day.” He turned his head back to Matt. “How do you like your school?”

“I like it too. I gave my parents a real hard time back a few years ago. Said I wanted to go to public school. They told me to wait out the year then if I still wanted to do it at the start of my sophomore I could. Well by that time I had a girlfriend and didn’t want to leave anymore. I guess they’d figured something like that would happen. But I’m happy there. I’m glad I stayed.”

“Do you still have the same girlfriend?”

“No we broke up within a few months. I’m single but looking.”

“Do you play any sports?”

“I do track, in the spring. You?”

Ian laughed as he said ‘no.’

“Cause you weren’t allowed?”

“Yeah sort of. I don’t know.” He rolled over on his back and looked up at the ceiling. “I think even if I could have I wouldn’t have. I don’t think I’d be any good.”

“Why do you think that?”

“I’m so small. Besides that, I can trip just walking from one side of the room to the other. I don’t think I’ve ever run anywhere. I guess I just can’t picture it.”

“You’re not that small.”

Ian’s head swung sideways to look at Matt again. “Matt? Are you kidding? You tower over me. Everyone towers over me.”

Matt chuckled and shook his head. “You’re solid though.”

Ian’s eyes widened as his mouth hung open. “You calling me fat now?”

Laughing even harder Matt shook his head. “No way man, you’re in no way fat. Just not frail. I bet you could do well at sports. Just not basketball.”

Remembering the night in the gym when he’d tried to shoot hoops, Ian started chuckling. “Yeah, I have to agree with that one.”

They lay on their beds and talked for two hours. It wasn’t until Greta came up and poked her head in the door that they even thought of leaving their beds. “You guys want to come set the table. We are going to eat in about half an hour.”

Down in the kitchen Matt showed Ian where everything was and they made quick work of setting the table. They were just finishing up when Reverend Delmar walked in. Ian’s face brightened at seeing him as he’d been looking forward to him coming home since he’d gotten there nearly three hours earlier. The man walked up to him immediately, giving him a firm yet warm hug.

“How are you?”

“I’m good sir,” Ian said as they separated.

“Settling in okay?”

Ian nodded and smiled.

“Did you decide on your own room or to room with Matt?”

“Room with Matt. My best questions come up at night, that way he’ll be right there to answer them.” He chuckled and the rest of them chuckled right along with him.

Greta and Matt brought out dishes of mashed potatoes, rolls, Brussels sprouts and steaks. Ian’s stomach rumbled as he looked it all over. He’d never had a steak. On the few occasions his parents ever had one he’d been given a hamburger. His father had said such extravagances were not for sinful children. Seeing four large steaks on the plate and no hamburgers as they all sat down, he was very excited, sure he was about to have his first steak.

He looked from Greta at one end of the table to Mr. Delmar at the other end then across the table to Matt who was smiling at him. He smiled back then looked back to the reverend as he cleared his throat. “We hold hands for prayer here Ian. Is that okay with you?”

Ian nodded though he’d never heard of it, the idea of it sounded great to him. He put his hand in the reverend’s and moved his casted hand over to Greta who wrapped her hand around it. As he bowed his head, heat seemed to be coming from both the hands holding his. A heat that made him feel warm and safe.

“Dear Lord,” Ron began, “We thank you for another glorious day and another glorious meal. We thank you for Ian being here with us this evening and thank you for letting him come into our lives.”

As the prayer went on the heat filling Ian grew warmer and warmer. Like fuel was being sent to his heart to make it ignite with love and happiness. He felt so at home here, already so a part of this family that seemed to have come out of nowhere to lead him to what was right. He knew God had made it so. God had known exactly what he’d needed and saw to it he found it. Found something that Ian made a pact right then and there to never lose.

After the prayer the plates were passed around. Seeing Matt filling his own plate he figured it was okay for him too. He realized he was doing a lot of copying Matt when they were together. It seemed no matter how many questions he asked there was always something he didn’t know about.

He knew Mrs. Delmar was a great cook but nothing could have prepared him for his first bite of steak. As soon as it hit his tongue he let out a moan that got the rest of them laughing and him turning beet red. “I’m sorry.” He said as soon as they stopped laughing.

Greta shook her head amidst some more chuckles. “Don’t be sorry Ian. I take it as a huge compliment.”

He grinned at her. “Well that’s good cause I can’t guarantee it won’t happen again.”

She laughed all over again and he smiled at her, liking her so much he could not even put it into words.

“So how was school today Ian?”

He swallowed his second bite of steak as he nodded. “It was good.” He kind of wanted to tell of his first kiss but didn’t quite dare. “I started two new classes.”

“Really? Which ones?”

Pleased the man actually sounded so interested, Ian spit them right out. “Computers and home ec. I actually started the computer one yesterday.” He shook his head in exasperation and looked up at the man. “I don’t even have any idea what the teacher is talking about. I see that thing in front of me and it’s like a foreign object or something.”

Ron chuckled. “They are a hard thing to understand. They’re very complex and it’s not something that can be learned in one or two classes.”

“I’ll help you this weekend anyways Ian. We can use the one in my room. Help you get the basics down.” Matt offered.

“Okay, but I’m real slow Matt. Paul tried to teach me the other night and I know he got frustrated with me.”

“He’s just not a good teacher then.”

Ian smiled at him sure he’d never be able to pick a better big brother even if he were given the chance.

After dinner and the dishes were cleared, Ian walked up to Reverend Delmar. “Can I talk to you for a few minutes?”

The man looked down at him and smiled. “Sure Ian. Let’s go into my study.”

“You have an office here too?” Ian asked once they’d walked into a room off the living room. This one had a dark blue rug, another large mahogany desk and two plush blue armchairs.

“I call this one a study. I don’t really work in this one, just study.”

Ian chuckled as he sat down in one of the chairs. “I invited someone to church on Sunday. Is that okay?”

Ron sat down in the other blue chair. “Of course it’s okay Ian.”

Looking up at him nervously, Ian rubbed his hands together. “Even if it’s my....”

“Boyfriend?” Ron finished for him as the seconds ticked by with Ian struggling to get it out. The boy nodded and Ron smiled at him. “I told you Ian, I’ll never turn anyone away. Never judge you for who you love. In fact I’d really like to meet this boy. To tell you the truth, I didn’t even know you were dating anyone.”

“Well we haven’t exactly been on a date.”

“How long have you been together?”

“A couple of weeks. He’s a really great person sir. I already know I love him. I haven’t told him that, but I know I do.” He looked up from his lap into the man’s face. “He’s the one that called the hotline.” He reached into his shirt and pulled out the gold chain he’d not taken off since Nathan put it on. “He gave me this. He said his father gave it to him, that it was real special to him. That he wanted me to wear it so he’d know where ever I went I’d always have an important part of him with me.”

Ron smiled, though he was thinking maybe the two were moving too fast but the sentiment and love he felt were genuine. He didn’t really believe there was a time line for love to follow, felt it was different for everyone. He was just worried that maybe Ian was too young and too naive to really know all the ins and outs of love. But if this other boy was making Ian as happy as he was seeing him now, he would not intervene.

“Did you know him long? Before you got together?”

Ian shrugged. “No, about a month. He always went to the same school. Just he’s a senior so we didn’t really ever talk.”

Ron nodded a little more, unnerved that the guy was so much older. “What’s his name?”

“Nathan.”

“That’s a good name. Strong name.”

Ian grinned, loving the name himself.

“Why don’t you invite him for dinner after church? Would you like that?”

Ian’s face lit up. “Boy I sure would. Can I call him? Now? And ask?”

“Sure you can. Here you can use the phone right here. I’ll meet you back in the living room. We are going to watch a movie tonight.”

“But sir,”

Ron held up his hand knowing exactly what the boy was going to say. “I know you’re not supposed to. But you aren’t under the same rules anymore Ian. I want you to see that some things you see on TV can be a rewarding and inspirational experience.”

Though he still wasn’t sure, he also knew he couldn’t say no to a reverend. “Okay then.”

The man smiled and squeezed his shoulder. “You’ll like it I’m sure. Now make that call so we can get the movie rolling.”

Ian nodded as he rounded the desk and picked up the phone. Reverend Delmar left the room closing the door behind him. Though Ian had never used Nathan’s number he knew it by heart, from within about five minutes of Nathan giving it to him. He dialed Nathan’s number and listened as it rang three times before a woman picked up.

“Hello?”

“Hello, can I talk to Nathan please?”

“Sure, can I say who’s calling?”

“It’s Ian ma’am.”

“Oh okay hon, I’ll get him for you.”

A moment later, Nathan’s voice came on the line. “Hey babe.”

“Hi.” He blushed into the phone as just Nathan’s voice made him feel warm all over.

“So how’s it going at the new house?”

“Wonderful. I had steak.” He nearly yelled into the phone which got Nathan chuckling. “They want you to come for dinner Sunday after church. You’re still coming to church right?”

“Sure am. My mom just pulled herself up off the floor actually.” Ian chuckled as he heard the woman laughing in the background. Normally that would have made him incredibly jealous, hearing them get along so well. But now he just figured he had it to look forward to with Mrs. Delmar.

“So you want to come to dinner too?”

“Did you tell them Ian? I mean that we are a couple?”

“Yeah, I just talked to Mr. Delmar about it. Like I said, he’s okay with these things.”

“Still man, you’re braver than me. I’m happy though; very happy you don’t feel like you have to hide our relationship. It makes things so much nicer when you don’t gotta sneak around.”

Ian snorted into the phone. “Are you kidding? Me sneak around. I don’t even know how.”

Nathan laughed as well. “Good point. So yeah, I’ll come for dinner. I’m looking forward to it actually.”

“Awesome Nathan. Thanks so much.”

“No problem babe. Anything for you.”

“And for you too.” He smiled as he cradled the phone between his head and shoulder. “I can’t talk now though, I gotta watch a movie. But I’ll see you Sunday at ten okay?”

“It’s a date.”

“Okay,”

“And Ian.”

“Yeah?”

“I love you.”

He smiled so big his cheek nearly pushed the phone right out from where it was nestled. “I love you too Nathan.” He had no doubt he did and was glad to actually say it. He hung up the phone then left the office making sure to shut out the light behind him.

Matt was just coming down the stairs with a pair of flannel pajama bottoms and a t-shirt on. “You gotta get in your pj’s Ian. House rules.”

Ron laughed. “No Ian you don’t have to if you don’t want.” He figured maybe the boy would be uncomfortable with that.

“No I don’t mind, if you don’t mind waiting another couple of minutes.”

Ron gestured to the stairs grinning. “Be my guest.”

After changing into his green pajamas he walked back down the stairs. Mr. and Mrs. Delmar were sitting together on a love seat while Matt was stretched out on one half of the sofa. “Sit here.” He said moving his foot up and down on the couch. “We can share this blanket.”

Ian walked over and sat down while Matt spread out the blanket so it covered Ian too. “So what is this movie?”

“Little House on the Prairie. You ever heard of it?”

He shrugged and shook his head. Seeing everyone else had their feet up on the sofa he curled his legs up and tucked his feet between himself and the armrest. For the first hour of the movie his eyes were glued to the screen. The next half hour his eyes started to burn from sleepiness.

After the movie ended Ron pulled his arms from around his wife and shut the tape off. He reached behind him and turned on the lamp then looked over at the couch. Matt was sound asleep on his side with one arm hanging down over it, his hand resting on the floor. Ian was toppled over his head on Matt’s thigh with his hand curled up in front of his face while the other hand in it’s cast was dangling off the side of the sofa, his arm too short to actually reach the ground.

“Well looks like Ian is as good at staying awake during movies as Matt is.”

Greta who’d been stretching looked over at the two boys. “It’s just like he fits Ron. Like he was always here. I don’t want him to be gone all week. I want him here all the time. He doesn’t belong in that group home. He needs the love and care we can give him here.”

Ron put his hand on her knee and squeezed it. “I know hon, I want him to stay too. I’ll work on social services and see if I can get them to bend. But I can’t guarantee anything.”

Greta nodded while she continued to smile over at the boys. “He’s such a good kid. He deserves so much. So much he never got.”

He put his hand under her chin and pulled her face towards him. “We’ll give him so much Greta. We’ll give him a loving home, a place where he’ll feel safe and welcome all the time. That’s all he needs, all he wants. He’s already got the will of a lion and more perseverance of anyone I’ve ever met. All he needs is love now.”

Copyright © 2011 vlista20; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..