Jump to content
    vlista20
  • Author
  • 3,871 Words
  • 5,550 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Unbreakable Faith - 14. Chapter 14

Ian had never looked as forward to church as he did Sunday morning. He couldn’t wait to see Nathan. He got up at his usual time took a long hot shower then walked downstairs to where both Greta and Ron were seated at the breakfast table.

“Good morning.” They both said in unison as they smiled up at him.

“Morning.” he smiled right back.

Ron couldn’t help but grin. Ian’s excitement was written all over his face and could be read in his body language. He knew where the excitement came from and was, himself, a little more excited to meet this Nathan. Greta stood up from her chair, gave Ian a quick hug then walked over to the toaster and pushed down a couple pieces of toast for him. “Do you want cereal too hon?”

“No just toast is good.”

“What do you like on it?”

“Umm,” he put his finger to his lips. “Do you have cinnamon?”

Greta turned and looked at him with befuddlement. “For your toast?”

Ian nodded bashfully. “Um, they eat it like that at the Harvey’s. It’s really good.”

Greta nodded still looking surprised. “Never heard of that. Will you let me try a piece of yours?”

His face instantly lit up. “Sure.”

“Well I’ve got to get over to the church.” Ron said standing up himself. He took his plate and glass over to the sink. After hugging Greta goodbye he walked over and gave Ian a quick hug. “See you guys in a little while.” He said as he let go of Ian.

When Ian and Matt walked into the church half an hour later Nathan was already there. Ian’s eyes fell on him immediately; Nathan was standing with his back to them at the table filled with pamphlets. He smiled, his love for the guy flowing through him, to see Nathan wearing a pair of tan dress pants instead of his standard jeans. He had on a brown suede jacket, and that too looked absolutely stunning.

Ian turned away from Matt who stopped and watched him, and walked up to Nathan. “You look very handsome.” Ian said as he stepped up behind Nathan. Nathan spun around and smiled lovingly down at Ian. “You, as well.”

Ian smiled at him then put his arms around him, giving him a quick, what he felt was a ‘church appropriate’ hug. “I’m so glad you came.”

“To tell you the truth I’m a little nervous.” Nathan said as they separated.

“Why are you nervous?”

“I feel out of place.” His eyes looked around the room.

“Well it’s just cause you don’t know anyone yet.” Ian looked him over then smiled hopefully up at his face. “You don’t want to leave do you?”

Nathan shook his head and put his hand on Ian’s shoulder. “No, not at all. I just gotta get used to it is all. You really think I’d leave before I got to eat?”

Ian chuckled and shook his head. “No I guess not.” He turned as Matt walked up behind him. Looking from one boy to the other he saw both of them eyeing each other thoroughly.

“Um, Matt, this is Nathan, Nathan, Matt.” He pointed at them as he said their names.

Nathan shook Matt’s hand, feeling a stab of jealousy as he had had no idea Ian’s new brother was so darn cute. Matt, feeling Nathan was a very nice looking guy himself, only worried more that he wasn’t the right guy for Ian. It wasn’t that Ian wasn’t nice looking. Just that Nathan looked like he had stepped right out of the men’s modeling magazines, was two years older, the clothes he was wearing screamed ‘rich guy’ and he didn’t see what the two could have in common.

He had to give Nathan credit though. He got the feeling it was the first time the guy had stepped into a church. If he was willing to do such a thing for Ian he thought just maybe his intentions were genuine, but couldn’t help focusing on the ‘rich and handsome’ part which gave him doubts.

The three walked into the congregation hall and sat down with Ian in the middle, in the second row back. Ian had learned that here at this church the family didn’t sit in the front row. The front row was reserved for the oldest parishioners who couldn’t hear or see that well and liked being as close to the reverend as possible.

“This is a huge church.” Nathan observed as he looked around the massive interior.

“Oh yeah,” Ian nodded. “It’s got a school and everything. Plus a gym and the Parish is very nice.”

“Parish?”

Ian grinned at him, for once he was not the one confused about something and he kind of liked it. “Where the reverend lives. Where I’ll be living.”

Nathan nodded. “Oh, okay. So have you had a good weekend? I mean you really like it there?”

“Love it.” Ian smiled at Matt before he turned and smiled at Nathan. His eyes fluttered down to the aisle as he saw a familiar body run by. “Tony?” he muttered out loud but to himself.

“What?” Nathan asked turning and looking where Ian was looking to see an adorable little boy who had stopped at the front of the church and was just turning around.

“Where’s is he?” The little boy yelled.

Ian turned to where Tony was looking to see Ron and Greta’s daughter, her eyes looking over the people seated. Knowing full well who Tony was looking for, Ian stood up. “Right here Tony.”

Tony’s face lit up into a huge smile and he took off at another run and flew right up into Ian’s arms. “What are you doing here Tony?” Ian asked as Tony wrapped his arms around Ian’s neck and his legs around his waist.

“Those people’s that I stays with this weekend. They says I gots to come to church.” He leaned back and looked Ian in the face. “I’s not want to. But they told me you’d be here. So’d I comed.”

Ian looked over at Natalie and her husband as they stood at the end of the aisle. “He stayed with you this weekend?”

Before either could answer Tony spoke up again. “For spit.”

Looking back at Tony Ian scrunched up his face in confusion. “Huh?”

“I have spit there.”

Ian looked over at Natalie still confused. “Respite hon,” she clarified. Ian’s mouth dropped open as his face lit up.

“You mean to test drive?”

Natalie chuckled at his description as she nodded. Ian’s mouth slowly closed as his eyes filled with tears. He knew what this meant. This meant he and Tony would see each other all the time. Every Sunday and every holiday plus whenever Natalie came to visit her parents which he imagined was quite a bit. It meant he and Tony would come as close to being actual relatives as they ever could get.

He squeezed Tony extra tight then sat down, Tony staying right in his lap. He didn’t know what to say to Tony. He wanted to tell him what it all meant, but if Natalie and her husband were merely ‘test driving’ Tony he knew it may not work out. He knew first hand that Tony was an incredible handful.

“Whose you?” Tony asked locking his eyes into Nathan’s.

“I’m Nathan,” he smiled. “And who are you?”

“I’s Tony,” he said, as he jabbed his thumb into his chest.

“This is the boy,” Ian explained looking at Nathan. “The other one my parents adopted.”

Nathan’s eyes widened as he looked back at Tony.

“And Tony,” Ian continued. “This is the guy I was telling you about. The one who called the hotline, the one that made it so we could leave.”

Tony’s mouth dropped open as his eyes literally sparkled at Nathan. “I likes you then.”

Nathan chuckled. “All I did....” he was cut off by Ian’s hand smacking him in the shoulder.

“Don’t go on about all that,” he said shaking his head. “Just take the gratitude you deserve.”

Natalie, who’d sat down on the other side of Nathan, as well as Matt, chuckled, neither of them ever hearing Ian being forceful before. They found it funny but at the same time found it a good thing that Ian was so comfortable around Nathan that he was able to do that.

Nathan, properly admonished, muttered a “yes sir,” which Ian chuckled at. Greta walked down the center aisle of the church making sure to stop and smile at her family. She was introduced to Nathan and Tony. Tony she thought looked like an absolute doll. Nathan she thought was about the cutest young man she’d ever laid eyes on.

Before taking her place at the piano, she walked through the door to the side of the pulpit where her husband was. “Ron, you are not going to believe how handsome Ian’s little boyfriend is.”

Ron chuckled. “I already peeked out the door at him. I don’t know why we should be so surprised. Ian’s a fine looking young man himself.”

“He’s so much older though. I worry he’s only in this for one thing.”

“I’m going talk to the boy sometime this afternoon, but honestly I don’t think we have anything to worry about. Just the fact he’s showed up here today, showed up and dressed up tells me he’d follow Ian to the ends of the earth. It’s not easy for someone who hasn’t been raised with a religious background to just up and go to church, especially if it wasn’t their own idea to come. Ian just asked him once and here he is. He’s taking home ec too.” Ron stopped to chuckle again. “The boy is definitely smitten. I don’t think he’s after anything.”

Greta nodded, knowing her husband could read people way better than she could. “Alright, but if he hurts my boy he’ll have me to contend with.”

Ron looked up at her and smiled, his endearing love for her filling his smile. “You’d follow Ian to the ends of the earth too wouldn’t you?”

Grinning sheepishly, Greta nodded then turned and left the room knowing she’d have to get started playing before the natives got restless.

Ron did not officially get to meet Nathan until after church when they were all back at the house. Nathan was standing near Ian who was being shadowed by Tony. Ron walked up to him and stuck out his hand. “You must be Nathan.”

Nathan nodded and shook the man’s hand with a firm strong grip. “Yes sir, it’s nice to meet you.”

“So what did you think of the service?”

“I thought it was very good.”

Ron smiled as he’d noted while he was preaching that Nathan was actually paying attention and this was something that had impressed him. He looked down briefly as Tony hauled Ian off to the other side of the living room where the books and movies were. “Think you’ll join us again?”

“Yes sir, if it’s okay.” Nathan knew he was being measured. Instead of feeling mad about it though he felt happy that this man was looking out for Ian, that he seemed to care so much. As soon as the reverend walked off, Matt walked up to him. Matt also portrayed the protection stance though he didn’t seem like he was going to be so nice about it.

“Come outside with me.” Matt pretty much ordered.

“Um, you gonna beat me up or something?”

Matt, who’d already turned towards the door, looked back at him and half smiled. “Depends.” There was a twinkle in his eyes that told Nathan that that was not going happen, so he followed along obediently.

Outside Matt walked over to a tree that had a swing hanging from it and leaned against it. “So what’s your intention here Nathan?”

Nathan, who’d stopped about two feet away from him, looked at him quizzically. “You’re gonna have to narrow your interrogation questions down just a little bit. That’s a pretty broad question.”

Matt nodded, finding it harder and harder to sound stern with this guy. “What’s your plan for Ian?”

“My plan is to just love him.” Nathan said simply. “I love him very much. I don’t plan on using him and dumping him. I plan on holding onto him forever.”

Matt nodded again. “And when you get horny are you gonna pressure him into anything?”

Blushing Nathan shook his head. “Um, no.”

“What if your friends find out you are gay? What if people at school start to give you and Ian a hard time? You gonna dump him cause it’s the easy way out?”

“My friends are gay; people at school already know I’m gay. I’ve never hidden it from anyone. And I’m not hiding the fact Ian and I are a couple from anyone. If anyone gives us a hard time, which I doubt they will, then I will make sure I am right there beside Ian defending us both.”

Matt nodded, his face softening even more. “And if he wants to hang out with his big brother are you gonna get mad at him.”

Nathan laughed and shook his head. “No, umm,” He paused as he pushed some fallen leaves across the ground with his foot. “You aren’t gay are ya?”

Matt shook his head, now certainly confused. “Why you asking me that?”

“Well I don’t want Ian looking elsewhere. And living in the same house with a person of your umm,” he paused again and blushed. “Well looks,” he drooped his shoulders and sighed. “Well man, I just don’t want to have to worry about those things.”

Grinning Matt nodded. “Compliment noted and no there’s nothing to fear. I’m quite sure Ian doesn’t look at me in any sexual longing type of way.” He rolled his eyes and made quotes with his finger. “So do you think I’m a real jerk?”

Nathan shook his head and laughed. “No man, I really like that you did this actually. Makes me know Ian is being looked out for. That’s all I want for him, for him to be watched out for and loved.”

Inside Ian knelt down across from Tony who was rummaging through the books, taking them off the shelves and tossing them aside. “Tony you gotta leave things the way they are.” He instructed as he put the books back in their place.

Tony looked up at him, his beautiful blue eyes large and round. “But Ian I wants to look at them.”

“I know, but when you are done you’ve got to put them back.” He looked around them to make sure they were out of earshot of everyone. He the leaned forward and put his hands on Tony’s knees. “Tony you really gotta be a good boy. You gotta make Natalie and her husband like you. So you can stay with them permanently. That way we can be together.”

“What’s you mean?”

“If they like you Tony, if you are a good boy, you can stay with them all the time. But you have to show them you are a good boy.”

Tony nodded willing to do whatever Ian said. “So what’s I do then?”

“Just do what they ask, clean up after yourself. Don’t scream and yell. That sort of thing.”

“Okay, I try it Ian. Sometimes though I just am bad. I don’t always know it.”

“You’re not bad Tony. You just need to be on your best behavior. I never said you were bad and I don’t think you are. Okay?”

Tony nodded as he smiled. “I still misses you.”

“I miss you too, which is why it’s so important that you be real good for these people. That way we can stay together. Not in the same house but we’d be guaranteed to see each other every week and every holiday, sometimes more.” Ian stopped talking and looked up as Nathan approached.

“Hey can I join you?”

Ian nodded. “We were all done here anyways.” He stood up and rubbed his hand down Nathan’s arm. “I saw you and Matt talking. He wasn’t too mean was he?”

“You knew he was gonna do that?” he asked grinning.

“He told me he had to give the ‘big brother’ speech. I didn’t know anything about such a thing til he told me. I told him you didn’t need one but he said he was gonna give it anyways.”

Nathan nodded still smiling. “Well he was nice. Don’t be mad at him for it. I was glad he was looking out for you.”

Ian smiled back, filling with warmth. “You’re so sweet.”

“You’re so sweet.”

Chuckling Ian shook his head. “So what did you think of church? Do you think you’ll keep coming?”

“Sure I’ll keep coming. It wasn’t bad at all, interesting actually. And I get to spend time with you when I come. I can’t ask for anything more.”

“So what do you think of the Delmar’s?”

“They seem incredibly nice. I’m very happy that you are going to get to live with them.” He reached out and squeezed Ian’s hand when a sad look crossed the smaller boy’s face. “What’s wrong?”

“It’s nothing,” he shook his head and sighed. “I just wish I could stay here now. I don’t want to go back to the group home tonight. I mean I liked it there. But after being here I just don’t want to go back.”

“I’m sorry Ian.”

Ian nodded, knowing if Nathan could do anything about it he probably would. “I’ll get over it. And I’m sure the time will go fast. I just am having the best weekend of my life and don’t want it to end.” He squinted his eyes over at the window then walked over and looked out. “Wow, someone must still be at church. Some rich person.”

“Why you say that?”

Ian pointed out the window at a shiny black sports car. “That car.” Nathan started to laugh and Ian looked at him. “What?”

“Dude.” He shook his head and laughed a little more. “That’s my car.”

Ian’s mouth dropped open as he looked at the car then back at Nathan. “You’re kidding.”

“No, I’m not kidding. Didn’t you realize I had a car?”

“I hadn’t really thought about it. I certainly didn’t imagine it was such a nice car.”

“Well my parents got it for me. It’s not like I went out and worked for it.”

“Are your parents still married?” He’d realized over the weeks at the group home that people didn’t stay married. That many divorced after only a few years, if even that long.

“No they got a divorce a few years ago. That’s when I became the spoiled child. I think they compete for my affection.”

“How so?” Ian asked turning away from the window, then leaning back against it and looking up at Nathan.

“Like the car. Mom got me a computer so like the very next day Dad runs out and buys me that. I’m not mad or upset about it, I mean who would be. I just wish they knew they didn’t have to do that.”

“Did you tell ‘em?”

“I told my dad. But my mom’s feelings get hurt real easy and I didn’t want to accuse her of such a thing.”

“So you live with your mom then?”

“I pretty much split my time between the two places. They are both right here in town.”

Ian nodded thinking that must be tough. But it was something he knew he’d get a taste of over the next five weeks. “Were you real sad when they separated?” Tony ran up to him and grabbed onto his hand. Ian held it but stayed where he was despite Tony’s tugging.

“Yeah, I didn’t really realize they weren’t getting along. I just knew I never saw them together. Dad worked all the time. He still does. I never saw them fight once.” Nathan grinned down at Tony who was so busy trying to pull Ian away that he didn’t even notice. He’d been able to easily tell that Tony loved Ian very much. And he had no doubt that Ian loved the boy back.

“Eeeeeee-annnnnnnnn” Tony begged. “Comes play with me.”

“What do you want to play?”

Tony pointed a crooked finger out at a board game on the shelf. “Candyland.”

“You know how to play?”

“Nopes.”

Nathan chuckled. “I know, I’ll teach you guys.”

Tony let go of Ian’s hand long enough to clap his hands together then latched back onto Ian and pulled him across the room. Tony pulled the game down off the shelf and put it on the floor where he dropped down beside it and started pulling stuff out.

“Hey can I play?”

Ian looked up to see Matt smiling down at them. “Well yeah.”

Matt knelt down with the others. Matt and Nathan explained the game and they all picked out their men. After playing a couple games Natalie walked up behind Matt and looked down at Ian. “Can I talk to you for a minute hon?”

Ian looked up at her and nodded then got himself to his feet. He followed Natalie through the living room and into her father’s study. She sat down in one of the blue plush chairs and Ian sat in the other. “I heard you talking to Tony earlier.”

Ian swallowed hard, wondering how, as he’d looked to make sure no one was in earshot.

Natalie, seeing his discomfort, reached out and took his hand. “There’s nothing to be ashamed of Ian. I just want you to know we aren’t test driving Tony at all. He’s going to live with us no matter what. I know he’s a rambunctious little boy, sometimes a little abrasive. But that just tells me he needs us all the more. You don’t have to worry about us deciding that we don’t want him.”

Smiling at her, he was filled with a great deal of relief. “Thanks so much for telling me that ma’am. I was pretty worried.”

She smiled and squeezed his hand. “Well there’s no need to worry. Tony is now a part of this family, just like you are and this family doesn’t send people back. That’s a guarantee.”

Copyright © 2011 vlista20; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..