Jump to content
    W_L
  • Author
  • 3,463 Words
  • 2,590 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

0's and 1's: CBDT - 14. Chapter 12- End of Book 1

Chapter 12- End of Book 1

(Hunter Douglas, Code Name: Verne)

 

Why does everything seem to happen in one week timespans? If you believe in God, he has some sick sense of humor to time things like this. We were shadowed throughout the weekend by police officers. Kevin’s parents came immediately and they were really scary, in terms of their anger at whoever tried to bomb my home. They are both academics, Kevin’s father is a professor of Anthropology and his Mother is the Provost at the same university. They demanded every piece of information possible, plus argued for federal marshals to take over our protection, despite Chief Wayne’s assurances. When my mom came, she had to pass by four check points and fill out a form to see us. Kevin’s parents had a way with arguments, not to mention a lot of influential former students.

Benji’s dad was present and I think I am picking up some Chinese from their conversations, which is more complicated than the language itself as Chinese has a subtle language within a language through their use of idioms. Out of his entire family, his dad was the biggest puzzle to Benji and I can tell why. He’s a telecommunications engineer, who specializes in fiber optics and efficient transmission. While most people don’t care about a 0.02 second delay in information transfer, stock and commodity traders depend on this information within nanoseconds, so the most efficient transmission patterns means billions of dollars in trading volumes. He’s smart and laconic in his behavior towards Benji, he’s not homophobic, nor is he supportive, he just acts really subtle. To be kind of honest, it’s really interesting to watch them argue.

By Monday, school flew by with a lot of fanfare. I never expected a turnaround of emotions to be this big or this widespread. There were guys coming out of the closet from all walks of life and their friends were supportive as hell; I think the epitome was when the football team vandalized the locker that belonged to Mason Cameron. Their coach blew his top and Principal Rush suspended them all for one game, but it was a small price for them. I feel like almost everyone was guilty of a little hypocrisy, since only a few weeks ago they were at each other’s throats. That’s America though; one week can change the character of people, especially if the events preceding it were dramatic. It also brings me into a bigger debate. Should I reveal Jesse’s actions? Is a lie that leads to greater good better than a truth that can dismantle everything we have built?

That’s the price of victory, people can talk about making sacrifices, but can they actually do it, knowing every fiber in their being is betrayed in the process? I know Kevin and Benji feels the same way as I do, we went into this thinking we can bring down a criminal conspiracy, not compromise our moral compasses to achieve a “false” peace. We didn’t know how far they would go, though; nor did we know how far people on our side could go. All we wanted was justice, not viral outbreaks or bombs going off to incentivize people into action.

When Thursday came around again, I persuaded Kevin to join me and Benji for our tutoring session. I also was able to persuade the police detail to stay out of our way as a hospital has its own security measures, which they needed to respect as well. They just kept watch at the entrances, which gave us an opening to speak with Jesse after the tutoring session, alone in my Mom’s office again.

 

It was a tense encounter, Jesse knew what I had realized and neither of us wanted to speak. Kevin started the ball rolling. “What the fuck did you do?”

 

Jesse looked over at Kevin, “He chose well, I heard your speech. Really honest and despite the editing from the networks, I loved your command of expletives. You’ll make a great wartime partner for Hunter.”

 

I’m getting tired of people analyzing my relationship status, least of all Jesse, “We know what you did, maybe not how you managed it.”

 

Jesse looked around the room, “I assume you have placed some kind of jamming in this room since last time. I feel it is a bit warmer than last time, too.”

 

In truth, I had made a mini-version of Ryan’s blackout device to jam audio and video, plus create a slightly higher temperature to block thermal, but I wasn’t planning on explaining. “I want to know all of it.”

 

Jesse sat down in my mom’s faux leather chair, his little scrubs scrunching up, “You know I’ve been thinking about writing a story before I die. It is a story about a boy, who coincidentally is dying of cancer. His parents have all but abandoned him to his fate, choosing to forget about their dying gay son versus accepting the frailty of life. The boy was incredibly depressed until he met two special guys, who showed him life had more to offer. There was a chance at a future, where new technological innovations held no boundaries for people, even a dying gay kid. He thought even if he will eventually die, he can do something good. Then, one of these two great guys commits suicide, because some religious assholes wanted to push this future back and undo everything to suit their perverse version of reality. The remaining guy wants to fight back against these horrible people, but his methods are too structured and too small to compensate for an organization that has so much reach and power. The boy admires his mentor’s tenacity, but knows his way would not be enough, so he chose to make things different faster. If these people want their version of “heaven” on earth, the boy will deliver “Hellfire” to them before he dies.”

 

Benji spoke up now, “This is insane. You could have hurt a lot of people and there are no real guarantees.”

 

Jesse grimaced in Benji direction, “Ah, but you are wrong. I am only speaking of a fictional character. There is no evidence in the real world of this happening. Even in fiction, my character took extreme care to prevent collateral damage to his allies and mentor. Besides, wasn’t it Sun Tzu who said, “The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself?” My character did not make the first move, his enemies did by murdering his friends, seeking to destroy the future he covets, and poisoning people’s minds. Against such enemies, there can be no other way. My character only used the same methods of war his enemies have stated they are willing to use themselves.”

 

I will need to coax the truth out of him, “How did your character accomplish his counterattack?”

 

Jesse greeted my question warmly, “Technology runs both ways. An UPS tag change is quite easy and chemicals are just as simple to acquire in a well-stocked hospital, which has an antiquated ordering system that does not track individual portions. You’d be surprised at what can be jury rigged with hospital supplies. As for the other information he used to connect his enemies’ actions, you will have to read the rest of the story. I think you will like it Hunter, the good guys win in the end, because the bad guys can no longer hide.”

 

“Your character assumes too much. Maybe his mentor will reveal his actions or he will be discovered by third parties, who could harm him physically.”

 

Jesse shrugged his shoulders, “I doubt his mentor is stupid or as obstinate as to throwaway a chance at victory against a group that has murdered his partner, despite new horizons standing next to him.”

 

Kevin spoke up first this time, “Look, I don’t want to play these fucking games with you Jesse. You can’t possibly think this is the right thing to do. Sure, we might win today due to a shitty lie, but what about tomorrow and the days to come. How many shitty lies do we need to create to be safe? We would become what we have fought so hard to defeat. How perverse would our dream be at that point compared to their dreams? The reason why we fight is because we believe in justice and honor above personal visions of glory and revenge.”

 

Jesse was shocked at Kevin’s explosive demeanor, “I…am surprised you have such strong feelings for about a dozen or so assholes with blood on their hands.”

 

Kevin should have held his tongue now, but I couldn’t stop him in time, “What the fuck do you think? It’s not only 12….”

 

It was too late, Jesse now knew, “So, there’s a plot twist. My character’s mentor has found more than he can handle and now is lecturing my character on the principle of justice. It should have occurred to him the authorities were too lenient in the case, perhaps the conspiracy goes all the way up to the halls of Washington or…”

 

I had to stop him from this, “Jesse, I am sorry for what happened to you. I am sorry I can’t be the hero you deserve or you want me to be. I will reveal everything and let the authorities judge your actions and our opposition. Truth might make the world more cynical again gay and religious people, but your other path would be paved with more blood.”

 

Jesse angrily shouted back, “HUNTER! DON”T YOU FUCKING GET IT! I DID ALL THIS FOR YOU!”

 

I know why he did it, but I can’t live with myself, nor do I think can my friends. If we let Jesse run amok, we’re no better than the liars and conspirators.

 

“Jesse, on some levels, I agree with you. On some levels, I want to get back at all of them for Ryan and now Jeremy. I want to form a lynch mob and have every loud mouth homophobic Christian strung up and hung. That’s not how we do things in this country, or how we should be doing things. We have a lot of problems and maybe my way is not the best way to end them, but someone has to put down the gun and ask themselves if we should keep up this fighting. They have a right to their thoughts and ideals, just as we do. They violated the law and harmed innocent people, for which they should face justice, not our vengeance. We’re a society first before we are gay.”

 

As I began to turn, Jesse cried out once more, “Hunter Stephen Douglas, that’s your full name, right? You know why your middle name and last name sounds so familiar to every person who knows a little American History. Your ancestor deferred in the cause of liberty, took the national high ground of defending an immoral practice, and for what: Popular rule of a group of ignorant men, who would allow generations of people to live in shackles, where women can be raped because they are merely property or toys for their masters, and children could be sold hundreds of miles away from their parents to live in the same conditions. You are better than him Hunter. You are better than this. It might take the loss of another person, but you will see my way is right.”

 

Jesse did not see my tears welling up for what he said. I knew my family history well and the life of Senator Stephen A. Douglas factored prominently in my thoughts right now. Jesse knew exactly where to appeal to me and I knew he was right. I am trying to protect everyone and keep a sense of justice in a world that is seemingly unjust and unfair. My ancestor defended the popular rights including both pro/antislavery positions, despite strong opposition, because he loved his country and he loved the people within it, despite their differences in opinions. He did not want to see Civil War, the “brother versus brother”, bloodshed that Lincoln’s Republicans would usher in, but his desire for peace was not the American desire due to the regionalism that had built itself up over a century, nor was it possible in the face of such a corrupt institution as slavery. Am I defending a corrupt institution of hate mongers and murderers by deferring this fight and seeking public resolution? I don’t want to fight anymore, if it means I must betray the reason for why we fight.

 

(Kevin Driscoll, Code Name Shelley)

 

I didn’t know Hunter’s family tree, but that kind of spoke volumes about how far history has come around. I’ve been friends with many black guys and girls. Hell, I’ve slept with a few black guys and know the urban legend about their cock size is quite fictitious. I know Hunter has a lot of friends, who aren’t just your normal WASP kids too, because we’re a poly-racial society, today. Still, Jesse did make a great final argument. Is this fight any different than the fight against an entrenched elite establishment of slaveholders, which as an institution is even older than Christianity or Judaism? Black people are still under attack even in our society today with millions of black people imprisoned and millions more in poverty. Is this a modern evolution of the institution, because people like us were unwilling to fight longer and settled for a peaceful resolution? I can’t answer those questions as I feel like no one has the right answers to a complex issue of whether society should move forward with our lives or remind ourselves of traditions that keep us together. Whether it was slavery two hundred years ago or gay rights today, there are no easy answers to the world’s problems, unless you believe people are willing to take up arms to fight for or against it. Jesse’s argument is basically: unless we fight, we must submit and be plowed down like weeds in these people’s Garden of Eden.

Hunter told us he would send out a message to his media contacts for a press conference after school on Friday. In normal times, a news outlet would likely not answer a 15 year olds’ short notice call for a press conference, except Hunter already has done 2 very powerful ones. His first has ushered in a new wave of electronics, which many major networks were angry they only got peeks at after the local news got full coverage. His second was my uncensored “Never Again” speech, which basically steadied the ship of state for everyone in the city and declared a national move towards common sense principles. After the bombing and the lack of communications, they were eager to hear what we had to say; even the most conservative outlets, like Fox News were jockeying for spots.

Friday started out very normally, the police detail was still present, but it was limited to two uniformed troopers. Home Room with Mr. Baker was a very raucous time for me, Benji, and most of the junior class. I was busy scribbling down a few notes for arguments I thought would be great to prevent grounding from my parents again after our live TV revelations, including more expletives and a few sexual innuendoes about Jesus and few prostitutes with paternity suits. I know my parents have weird sense of humor and it might get them off my back slightly, plus get a funny sound bite for years to come.

 

Then, an alarm sounded through the intercom, it was not a standard fire alarm though, “Code Black, all classes remain in lockdown, shots fired.”

 

I turned towards Benji and we jumped over to our police trooper, “What’s going on? Is Hunter safe?”

 

The police trooper was frantically trying to check with his partner, “Confirm security of package Alpha.”

 

From the radio I heard the echo, “Package Alpha is secured, Sergeant, should we attempt to evacuate?”

 

“Affirmative, we will rendezvous at the gym side entrance, call for back up and reinforcements to meet us outside, over.”

 

“Over”

 

While school policy was for classroom lockdown, the police detail had primary right to our safety and could overrule it. I think the entire concept of a lockdown is kind of stupid as Sandy Hook has shown, keeping people in a locked classroom just means a higher body count if the shooter was a deranged madman like most of them are.

 

I wasn’t going to abandon my friends and run out of fear, “Trooper Mercer, please let these guys join us in the evacuation, I know it’s asking a lot and it’s not part of your training, but I don’t want to abandon them.”

 

“Fine, but make it snappy, we got to get to rendezvous point fast.”

 

It didn’t take much persuasion to get Mr. Baker and the class to follow us out. We heard what sounded like pops in the distance, which could very well be gunshots. When we arrived at the exit, a group of kids were sprinting down to us; they were senior classmen from Hunter’s class.

 

I asked quickly as I did not see Hunter among them, “What the fuck happened? Where’s Hunter?”

 

Krista, a brunette girl who had tried to hit on me twice, answered with alarm, “He was helping Angelo back there, because Angelo got shot in the leg. The bastard shot at us and Hunter told us to run here.”

 

Further down the hall, I saw Hunter with Angelo draped on his shoulder with one hand waving for me to assist. Angelo was in agony, probably from the gunshot wound in his leg. I didn’t know all of Hunter’s classmates well as we’re a grade apart, but Angelo was President of the school’s drama club. He and I had a few “play” dates. I immediately ran over to support him. Benji took charge and got Mr. Baker to enter his access code to open the gym exit for the gathered students to escape.

 

Hunter blurted out to me, “Mason was armed with a lot of shit!”

 

He usually doesn’t swear, so this must be bad, “Did everyone make it out?”

 

Hunter grew gloomy at that, “Mason caught us as we were running down the hallway, I think Aaron and Andrew are dead. Mrs. Thompson is dead, she was killed at the doorway when she used her body to block Mason’s line of sight. The police trooper was fatally shot too, but he remained behind hoping to draw some of Mason’s fire as we escaped. After that, I grabbed Angelo off the ground and made my way here.”

 

I turned my head around to look down the hall, but all I saw was a red dot, which I immediately identified as a laser sight. There was no time to warn Hunter, so I used my weight to push Angelo and Hunter to the ground and placed my body into the line of sight that Hunter occupied. A quick crackle of pops came and I felt a warm feeling covering my body. It must be internal bleeding and nerve shock taking effect.

 

Hunter screamed at me, “No, Kevin, you don’t deserve this!”

 

I do though, because I finally realize I can commit to you in spirit and body…

 

(End of Simulation, 21st century Museum, Today’s Common Era date January 2nd 2216)

 

“Thank you for viewing the simulations of the events leading up to the 21st century multi-faceted Cyber Wars. These historical representations still have roles in our society today, since these famous and infamous actions taken two hundred years ago have shaped our history and created our world. You may venture into the next room for additional time period holographic simulations and follow the succeeding events or visit the gift shop on your way to the lobby. May the Creator Bless You All!”

 

A young child looked up to his father, “Did he die? Who won the war?”

 

The man smiled and escorted his child through to the next simulation room.

 

 

-----------------

 

Thanks for reading Book 1, please send feedback or reviews.

 

There will be a 2 month hiatus for the posting of Book 2 chapters. I will announce the schedule of Book 2 just as I did Book 1.

a href="http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/40918-0s-and-1s-cbdt/">Discuss
Copyright © 2016 W_L; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Wow 3
  • Angry 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Looking forward to Book 2. At first, I was afraid it was going to be too "genius gay boy creates utopia", but as it progressed, Hunter became more and more human as did the others. My heart bleeds for Kevin, Jeremy, Jesse, and Ryan who gave (or seem to be giving) their lives for Hunter and the story. One thing I have enjoyed from the beginning is the glimpse of technology as it might be in the relatively near future. Thanks, W_L, and here's to Book 2!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Great story... looking forward to book II!
As recent news has shown a definite backlash from extremist groups because of the recent jumps in lbgt rights. Makes this story work even more.
Something the story touched on as the evangelical movements creating public out cry that forced a more covert approach by them I think has some merit. I've felt that rev Fred did a lot for gay rights, as his hate was so extreme and public it woke the sleeping middle majority of society and they didn't take his side. Odd comparison was in the 60's and 70's the TV show "all in the family" made racial bigots look like clowns ( bigots being called "Archie Bunkers" wasn't uncommon) .. Always felt that had an impact as I saw people laughing at bigots. Shaming them into shutting it up.. Sometimes a small rock causes ripples that reach very far.
Considering where the ending went , I'm especially curious about what book 2 might contain. Recent backlash in the media could open up a lot of interesting things for the next exhibit....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/23/2016 03:50 AM, hillj69 said:

Looking forward to Book 2. At first, I was afraid it was going to be too "genius gay boy creates utopia", but as it progressed, Hunter became more and more human as did the others. My heart bleeds for Kevin, Jeremy, Jesse, and Ryan who gave (or seem to be giving) their lives for Hunter and the story. One thing I have enjoyed from the beginning is the glimpse of technology as it might be in the relatively near future. Thanks, W_L, and here's to Book 2!

Glad you enjoyed it and I love working with near future tech, 3D printing programming is still cutting edge even now as computer scientists and engineers have not broken it into a formidable process to turn it into Star Trek's Replicator technology.

 

As for human element, I don't believe in easy answers to complex issues, being gay doesn't make us superior even in fiction, it just adds an element to who we are for others to love and hate.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/01/2016 07:52 AM, Cajbor said:

Great story... looking forward to book II!

As recent news has shown a definite backlash from extremist groups because of the recent jumps in lbgt rights. Makes this story work even more.

Something the story touched on as the evangelical movements creating public out cry that forced a more covert approach by them I think has some merit. I've felt that rev Fred did a lot for gay rights, as his hate was so extreme and public it woke the sleeping middle majority of society and they didn't take his side. Odd comparison was in the 60's and 70's the TV show "all in the family" made racial bigots look like clowns ( bigots being called "Archie Bunkers" wasn't uncommon) .. Always felt that had an impact as I saw people laughing at bigots. Shaming them into shutting it up.. Sometimes a small rock causes ripples that reach very far.

Considering where the ending went , I'm especially curious about what book 2 might contain. Recent backlash in the media could open up a lot of interesting things for the next exhibit....

Thanks, I can honestly say you will be surprised at the developments in the story. The best stories are based on fact, while driven in fiction. Book 2 will be a nice read, I hope for you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..