Jump to content
    Wicked Witch
  • Author
  • 1,048 Words
  • 959 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Promptly I Do Ramble - 2. The Water Demon

This is a response to prompt #320. An short piece I had sitting here FOREVER and finally finished. It's kind of humorous, kind of serious and involves a demon who has a few screws loose.

Prompt 320: Your town is suffering through the worst drought that it has ever known. It is going on two years without a single drop and nothing is growing. The once lush lawns and forests are dry kindling. The businesses have slowly closed and the town is looking like it might soon just vanish beneath the blowing dust. You might know a way to finally make it rain, but you know it will come at a cost. What do you have to do?

-----------------

“Why should I help you, mortal?”

I shivered under the gaze of the demon. The hairs on my neck stood on end, the unnatural cold of the demon’s aura kicking my instincts into gear. They knew I should run from this place and never return but my mind rebelled. It said I should say. It told me I had to help. Damn my conscience.

“Please Aughisky …” I mumbled. My knees were starting to seize from kneeling and my stomach was rebelling from fear. I don’t know why I thought this would work .. I was an idiot.

The demon’s claws tapped in rhythm on the blue marble of its throne, the only sound in the cavern. It seemed to be considering my plea … at least that was what I hoped it was considering, and not how I would taste with barbecue sauce.

Finally the creature spoke, it’s long horse-like muzzle showing off its glittering white fangs as it opened and closed. “I’m afraid I see no need to help your ‘people’. They can burn in the sun for all I care. It is only less pests to interrupt my slumber.”

“But --”

“SILENCE!” The demon roared, pushing itself to its feet - a formidable eight foot tall equine, absolutely naked I noted with a blush. “No more sniveling. I only accept trades, and you have nothing to offer me. I am not a charity.”

I couldn’t help the anger that broke the surface at the demons words. “Why can’t you have some heart at least, you beast?” I screamed, somewhere in my haze of anger having pulled myself to his feet. “People are dying; their lively hoods are being destroyed. Centuries of families living off the land broken because you want to be a selfish bastard.”

My fists clenched, and in a red blur I punched the demon. It was even stupider than ever coming here and I immediately regretted it when I fell backwards to land on the floor, sure at least several fingers had broken. Hell! Talk about ‘rock hard abs’, it felt like I’d hit a wall.

When I finally shook off the dizziness, there was a rasping sound grating at my ears. A rhythmic rattle that was extremely annoying. It took me a moment to work out what noise was and then it clicked. The demon was laughing. Goddamn laughing at me.

“You’re despicable.” I spat, stumbling to my feet and clutching my bleeding hand, which hurt like hell. “You find this funny?”

“I’m a demon foolish one. What do you expect?” Aughisky grinned in a ghoulish manner only a creature with the distorted face of a horse could manage.

“Demons don’t have to be evil you idiot. It’s all up to your choice. It’s not like you’re actually evil spirits like those idiots in the Way claim.” I sneered and then turned on my heels to march from the cave.

“Wait.” Aughisky rasped.

I froze involuntarily. I’m not really sure why I stopped. Maybe some part of me hoped the demon would change its mind, that I’d get a last ditch chance to plead …

“You have one thing you can trade me.” The demon went on …. “There is one thing you possess of value that I would be able to accept for my services.”

I turned slowly, cocking my head to stare at the demon. Many things rushed through my mind but the most nagging one was that I wasn’t sure what the creature was up to; he was a demon, a being of magic. What could mortal me possess that the being could not just summon? I puzzled over this for several moment moments before finally, I simply asked. “What do you want?”

The demon chuckled at my puzzled expression. Aughisky stepped forward and a clawed hand grabbed my wrist. “You.”

“What!” I yelped and tried to pull back. “Me as in what? My soul? You want to kill me?” I shook my head, eyes wide. No … this wasn’t how it was meant to end. Not being murdered by a crazy demon in his cave. I pulled so hard my hand was wrenched from the water spirits grasp and I fell backwards to the floor, my hand smarting and red.

He laughed. “Soul? What point is there in your pathetic soul? If I was going to go around stealing souls, it’d not be of humans.” The demon stepped closer, standing over my fallen form. “No . . . I’m lonely, bored and slowly going in insane from the intense action packed entertainment of watching stalactites grow.”

I stifled a giggle despite my fear at the monotone voice in which he made such a sarcastic remark. That was certainly not expected from the demon. “You seriously watch stalactites grow?” The moment it left my mouth, I groaned at the stupidity of that question. I wasn’t here to inquire about his pass times.

“No. Don’t tell me you're so pitiful you don’t get jokes?” The creature frowned as it pulled me to my feet roughly, sniffing my face. “You’ll do. Stay with me and I will bless your people with water.”

I scrunched my nose at the smell of fish but slowly I nodded. I’d do anything for them, to save them. “Ooh kay.” I managed to choke out.

The demon smiled wide, his entire demeanor changing in an instant. “Yay!” He clapped me on the back. “We’ll have tons of fun.” He waved a hand, magic swirling out in sparks of light. A widescreen television appeared with a pop, a comfortable old couch in front of it and a large popcorn on the coffee table. “Have you ever watched Lion King?”

I just stared at him, wondering what I’d got myself into.

Copyright © 2016 Wicked Witch; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 12/04/2014 03:19 AM, DynoReads said:
This was a very different take on trading with a demon. I loved it. Thank you for sharing it.
Thanks. :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..