Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 1,870 Words
  • 901 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Cousin's Cousin - 1. Juanita

It was the occasion of Juanito’s twenty-fifth birthday, and as the drinks loosened tongues, embarrassing stories of the birthday boy were shared.

Edward said “I’ll never forget the time his cousin came to visit. She arrived early and caused so much confusion.”

<>

Craig and Justin were having a late breakfast, as there were not due at Poppy’s until mid-afternoon to prepare for the evening meal. They were planning to have a lazy morning until there was a ring at their door.

“Good morning” said Craig “How can I help you?”

A young Asian women asked “Is Juanito here?”

“No he’s not here, can I help you?”

“He told me this was his work address.”

“It used to be, but he now works at the restaurant. Why are you looking for him?”

“Sorry, I should have introduced myself, I’m his cousin Juanita, I’ve just arrived from the Philippines and he wasn’t at the airport to pick me up.”

It was then that Craig recognised the accent. “I’m sorry about that, you had better come in.”

“Thank you,” she replied as she turned to pick up her bags.

“Let me help you with those.”

“Thank you ah.....”

“Sorry, I’m Craig.”

“Thank you Craig, very generous of you.”

Craig left the bags in the hallway and took Juanita through to the kitchen.

“Justin, this is Juanito’s cousin Juanita.... Juanita, my partner Justin.”

The two exchanged greetings and shook hands.

“So where is Juanito?” asked Justin.

“I was hoping you could tell me that, I thought he worked here.”

“Not now, we moved the office, but wasn’t he supposed to meet you at the airport. I know he was excited about your arrival.”

“Well that’s my fault. When he wasn’t there I rang him and left a message on his voicemail. Then I checked my messages to make sure I had given him the correct time. That was when I discovered I had given him the wrong day. He’ll be expecting me tomorrow.”

“Well no matter, you’re here safely now and I’ll let him know you are with us.”

Justin’s call went to voicemail, so he left a message and then said to Juanita, “He’s at college today, so he will have his phone turned off during class. But no matter, you’re welcome to wait here till we locate him.”

“Thank you, Juanito is lucky to have such good friends.”

“Now, have you eaten?”

“I had an early breakfast in the flight.”

“Then will you join us for coffee?”

“Yes, thank you.”

“Over coffee, Justin asked “Didn’t Juanito give you his home address?”

“He gave me both addresses and when I asked the taxi driver, he said this was the closest and being a weekday, I thought he would likely be at work today.”

“Well, he normally would be, but he had an extra class at college today.”

After coffee Juanita asked “I’m very tired, I don’t sleep very well on planes so I watched movies all night. Is there somewhere I could have a rest?”

“Of course.” Replied Craig, “You’re welcome to use our guest room.”

Juanita took one of her bags and retired to the bedroom.

<>

“Well that’s a surprise” said Justin.

“Yes, the poor girl is lucky we were home.”

“So what do we do with her when we go into the restaurant?”

“If Juanito doesn’t come by then, I guess we take her with us and he can pick her up there.”

“Then when he calls I’ll tell him that he doesn’t need to skip classes, we’ll look after her for the day.”

<>

Just after midday Juanito called “Hi Justin, I got your message and one from my cousin. Sorry about the mix up. I’ve spoken to her and she’s very grateful for your help.”

“That’s ok, she’s welcome to stay here and we’ll take her into work this afternoon and you can pick her up there when you finish classes.”

“Thanks, and sorry about landing all this on you without notice.”

“No problem, happy to help.”

“Ok see you this evening.”

Justin turned to Craig and said “Well that’s all set. Now while out guest is sleeping maybe we should go out into the garden so we don’t disturb her. I know what she means about not being able to sleep on planes.”

***

Gran was cutting flowers when the boys went out to the garden. “Hi boys, would you like some flowers for the house? There’s plenty blooming this time of year. Of maybe you could take some into the restaurant. I always think a restaurant looks more homely with fresh flowers.”

“Thanks Gran, what a lovely thought” replied Craig.

“Hi Gran” added Justin

“Hi sexy man” This had become her regular greeting for Justin, since the day he served her a gin and tonic, while wearing his hot pants.”

“Gran stop it” he replied

“Don’t think that just because I’m old I don’t recognise a sexy man when I see one”

“Of course not”

“Then take my word for it, accept all the compliments you can get while you can. They won’t keep coming forever.”

“That last parts true. But just the same, you’re an outrageous flirt.”

“Good, glad I’ve still got something going for me.”

“You’ve still got lots going for you. I don’t know another woman of your age that is so sprightly and with a razor sharp mind. Nothing escapes your attention.”

“Especially a sexy man”

“Ok you two, enough flirting for one day” offered Craig “And by the way, how come you don’t call me sexy?”

“You’re blood, that wouldn’t be proper, but it doesn’t mean you’re not sexy, far from it.”

“Thanks Gran, you always know the right thing to say.”

“So how come you’re not working today?” she asked

“We’re just doing the evening shift. We’ll go in this afternoon, just as soon as our guest has rested.”

“You have a guest, I didn’t know.”

“She wasn’t expected, just showed up this morning straight from the Philippines.”

“Oh another friend from the Philippines, isn’t that boy, what’s his name now...Juanito, that used to work here from there?”

“She’s his cousin. He was expecting her, but there was a mix up with arrival dates. He wasn’t expecting her till tomorrow, so she’s with us till he picks her up after classes.”

“That’ll be nice for him to have family visit. I don’t know how I’d cope if my family wasn’t close. It’s so reassuring to have you boys here. Makes this old girl feel safe and keeps me young, trying to keep up with all you’re goings on”

“Goings on?” asked Justin

“Oh I didn’t mean that how it sounded. I meant you’ve always got a new business venture and such. What did you think I meant? Is there something I need to know” she asked curiously.

“Just stirring you Gran” Justin admitted.

“Well, that will be enough of that. Here take these and put them in water until you go to the restaurant. Hey, I just remembered, your place is called Poppies, maybe I should grow some for the restaurant.”

“That’s a sweet idea, although you know the restaurant is not named after the flower, it’s named after the original owner, because Poppy is what his grand kids called him.”

“I didn’t know that, but no matter, I still think it’s a grand idea. I had better go and look up my Yates garden guide and see when I should plant them.”

“Ok Gran, and thanks for the flowers.”

“You’re always welcome... Oh is that your guest on the verandah?”

“Justin turned, saw Juanita and replied “Yes, that’s Juanita”

Then Craig called “Come and meet my Gran Juanita.”

As she approached, Craig introduced the two women.”

Juanita replied “Delighted to meet you Mrs.....”

“Oh everybody calls me Gran.”

“Pleased to meet you Gran. You know Tagalog for Gran is Lola, maybe I could call you Lola”

“That sweet of you and may I say you speak very good English for a foreigner.”

“Most Filipinos speak English as well as Tagalog.”

“What’s Taga....?”

“Tagalog is our native tongue.”

“I learn something every day, when I’m around these two.”

“Oh you must tell me what you’ve learned from them.”

“Not today my dear, maybe on another occasion. I don’t want to colour your view of them until you get to know them better.”

“I’m intrigued now.”

“I think that’s enough Gran” chastised Craig “I’m sure she’s just having a lend of you”

“Lending me? I don’t understand”

“Sorry, it means ribbing you, stirring you or having a joke at your expense.”

“Oh I’ve so much to learn about you Aussies. You do talk funny at times.”

“Maybe you could help me with something the taxi driver said to me when I told him I was a Filipina.”

“What was that?”

“He asked me if I was from the mail order catalogue.”

“Oh that was not very nice of him to say that. Just forget about it.”

To redirect the conversation, Craig said “Well, we’d better be off now that you’re rested. Got to get to work. Bye Gran and thanks for the flowers, I’m sure they’ll look great on the reception desk.”

***

Juanita went to the bathroom, to freshen up, as she put it. On return she thanked the boys again.

“You’re more than welcome” said Craig

“Will Juanito know where I am?”

“Yes, he called us and we agreed to take care of you until he finishes classes. He’ll meet us at our restaurant.”

“You have your own restaurant, that’s exciting, is that where Juanito works?”

“Yes, he’s our accountant and also does a bit of waiting when we’re extra busy.”

“Oh yes, he told me about the waiting, I understand you do something special, Justin.”

“Ah...yes, but not so much now we run the restaurant.”

“That’s disappointing, I was looking forward to seeing you and Juanito in your waiter’s ....do you call it uniforms?”

“That will do. Sorry to disappoint, but we have franchised that side of our business now.”

“Maybe you could do a special appearance for me while I’m here.”

“We’ll see, Juanito might.”

“I’d like to see both of you.”

Craig then interrupted “Well, we must be going now, got to prepare for evening service.”

“We’re going to church?” asked Juanita.

“No...oh I see what you mean, no. That’s what we call it in the catering trade.”

“You Australian’s are amusing, but I guess I’ll learn your language while I’m here.”

“Y e s,” replied Craig, just a little bemused.

As they were getting into the car, Juanita said “The taxi driver said we are near a beach here, will we pass it on the way?”

“No, not as such” replied Craig “But we could take a detour and go via Maroubra for a quick view, if you like.”

“Actually you’ll be pleasing me greatly if we do that.”

“Good” added Justin “We’ll take the scenic route via Maroubra, Coogee and Bondi beaches.”

“Thank you.”

“But you must have a lot of beaches in the Philippines” added Craig.

“Oh we do have beautiful beaches, but not so close to the city like you seem to have here.”

Copyright © 2021 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well @Wombat Bill you have "rocketed out of the starting gates" with this new 'side salad'. 

Is there no end to Gran's fabulosity. The mention of poppies brought back wonderful childhood memories growing up on the mid north coast of NSW. Both my mother and my wonderful maternal grandmother always grew poppies in spring when I was a pre-teen, along with pansies, sweet peas (gorgeous, but so delicate), snapdragons and carnations (my mother still loves these). Apart from pansies, the other flowers mentioned no longer seem to be "in vogue". 

Gran's flirtatiousness was once again amusing and innocent (or is it). If she keeps on delighting we readers like she has been of late, she will have her own fan club.

I like Juanita already. She seems smart, funny, gracious and affable. Miss Snit (Rani) could learn a few things from Juanita if she could get her head out of her own arse. Perhaps Daniel may find her attractive and decide Rani is not worth the effort. It would serve her right if he did.

Most enjoyable start to this new literary adventure @Wombat Bill. I look forward to witnessing the story develop. I sense Juanita is going to charm all who meet her.

 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 3
Link to comment

Awesome start to the latest side salad.

Gran is full of charm and whit as always.

I think Juanita is going to charm all those that she meets.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Glad to have found this. Strange I wasn’t notified as I have You followed @Wombat Bill. I just happened to check your stories page and noticed 2 chapters posted already.

Looking forward to the new adventure.

Q

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..