Jump to content
    Yanks13
  • Author
  • 12,686 Words
  • 2,529 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Primary Target - 14. Chapter 14

My mind was awash in facts, dates, algebraic equations, doctor’s appointments, recipes… whatever was shoveled into my skull over the past eight months - and summer school was not fun. I felt like a walking zombie in the house throughout the summer catching up while everyone else seemed to enjoy their summer. I wanted to complain but it wasn't any of their faults so I just let it go. At least the twins have been sleeping through the night undisturbed for about at least a month now. And they’ve started taking more and more solid foods – if I can keep them still long enough to feed them. I’m chasing them all over the house since they’ve started walking – more like stumbling, but it’s close enough for me – everywhere. Dad had to run out and buy some bumpers for the low, sharp corners at the perfect height to poke an eye out on them.

Mason’s been my saving grace, keeping me sane when I’ve wanted to pull my hair out. He jumps in for a little bit to take care of the kids and lets me get a quick nap once he’s home from school. I pick back up while he works on homework and once that’s out of the way he lets me relax for a few more hours before he gets them a bath and puts them down at around eight. Then we wake up to our two little alarm clocks at around five – six if we’re fortunate – only to repeat the day.

I walked Mason to the garage door, still groggy and holding Scott and Ryan. “Have a good day at school, babe,” I said with a tired smile on my face. I gave him a good, long kiss, Mason minding where the twins were in my arms. “Okay, boys… give Daddy Mason kiss good-bye.”

“I’ll see you two little rascals this afternoon, alright?” Mason smiled at the boys as Scott reached for him. Mason gave him a little hug and gave Mason a tiny toddler kiss. Ryan quickly copied Scott and did the same thing but in reverse. “M…” Ryan giggled at Mason’s face before he turned back into me.

“He’s getting there,” I smiled. “That was almost a word.”

“Both of them are learning so much,” Mason said in awe. “Didn’t Scott say his first word already?”

“Not yet babe, but I think he’s a bit further along. The other day while he sat next to the table while Alice taught me, Scott started going, ‘Za… Za…’. I think he was trying to say my name.” I looked at Scott and his goofy smile. “Who am I Scott? Who am I?”

“Za… Za…” he wiggled around.

“Maybe next time,” I said to Mason. He started opening the door.

“…Xan.”

I quickly looked down at my boy, full of smiles. Mason froze in place.

“Hurry up Mason! We’re going to be late,” I heard Conner call, but both of us tuned him out.

“Good boy, Scott!” I cheered. “Can you do it again?”

“Xan!” he cried followed up with a series of giggles.

“Conner, you just missed one of your nephews saying their first word,” Mason said as he entered the garage.

“Which one?” I heard him ask before he rolled the window up the whole way. I waved as best I could to the car of people – Richie, Jared, Conner, and Mason. The garage opened to the outside world and a cold breeze blasted me along with some of the errant snowflakes from the storm two days ago. I quickly shut the door to the garage and sealed the cold away.

“Ma… Ma…” Ryan chanted. “Moss!”

“So close Ryan, but good job!” I encouraged. “Can you say, ‘May-ce’? May…”

“Ma… May,” Ryan tried again.

“Mace,” I said again as I walked back up the stairs.

“Mace!” Ryan wobbled in my arm and I had to counter his movements.

“Good job, buddy!” I kissed his cheek. He giggled. “You two are getting so smart. And, Daddy Mason will be so proud of you Ryan.”

“There you are,” Alice smiled at me. “I went to check on the boys for you, but I saw they were gone along with you.”

“I had to see my hubby off to the grind,” I snickered. “Scott, can you say it again? Say Xan for Alice.”

“…Z… Xan!” he cooed.

“Ryan what was your first word? Was it Mace?”

“M… May… Mace!” Ryan showed the same enthusiasm as his younger brother.

“Wow you two are becoming big boys!” Alice tickled their bellies, making them giggle. She turned to me. “These two are really going strong, Xander. Maybe they’re speeding along because you’re learning with them near.”

“I hope so. I really hope at least one of them is good at math – that’s my worst subject. Maybe they can help me with my college calculus when they enter the fifth grade,” I joked.

The morning went along after I fed them both a bit of formula and mostly some cereal, checked their diapers before I sat them in their playpen so I could study. Alice allowed frequent breaks, especially when Scott pushed Ryan a bit harder than I think he meant. I had to scold Scott, soothe Ryan’s hurt feelings and then the two were tossing their toys around again, giggling away.

 


 

“Babe… I’m home!” Mason called as he entered the apartment. We emerged from the kitchen. The two swaddling little guys ran ahead of me and latched onto Mason’s legs.

“Xan…da” Scott said proudly as he pointed at me.

“Very good, Scotty!” Mace ruffled his hair and Scott beamed at Mason.

“M…” Ryan started. Mason quickly looked at me, a huge smile on his face. I nodded before he looked back to the other one.

“Ryan, who am I?” Mason asked.

“May… M… Mace.”

“Little man, I’m so proud of you!” Mason said as he picked Ryan up and tossed him into the air. He caught the laughing boy as Scott ran back to me. “You just made my day!” He planted a raspberry to Ryan’s little tummy, sending him into fits of hysteria. “Babe, I’ll take over… you have a visitor in the main house.”

“Okay,” I said as I kissed my guy. “You two, be good for Daddy Mason, okay? Can you do that?” Two little heads did some sort of nod and I smiled. “I’ll be back in a bit.” I looked at Mace. “Babe, you might be able to put them down for a nap if you want to get started on homework.”

“I’ll see how they are,” Mace said as I started for the door. “Maybe I can wear them out… if I chase them!” Mason put Ryan down and pretended to growl as both boys ran away shrieking.

I got to the base of the stairs and headed for the kitchen and I saw a familiar friend sitting at the counter. “Who let this Alliance dog in here? Where are the guards?” I scoffed.

“Good to see you too, Horde scum,” Josh served back as we exchanged a fist bump. “How’ve you been? School is different without you there.”

“I know,” I sighed. “It’s kind of lonely being the only student in a one-student school. But if I had to give my boys up to go back to school, I wouldn’t… couldn’t do it. Scott and Ryan keep me pretty busy to not think about it when Alice gives me a few seconds to make sure they need a change or a meal. Then she keeps me busy with her version of schooling. She’s pretty demanding, but she’s good at what she does. Heck, she’s even getting me to understand algebra a bit!”

Josh laughed. “That’s a feat, man. I had you in my math class last year. Well… before that stuff happened to you.”

“How’s everyone doing?” I asked.

“Everyone’s good.” Josh laughed. “The girls keep bugging Mason when the big day is. They got so excited when Mason told them about having them stand up with you guys. I think Mason gave them the choice, you know to keep the sides balanced. But I think Jess is standing with Mace and Kat with you.”

“I’m a bit surprised at that, but it works,” I said. “I figured Jess would stand on my side.”

Again Josh laughed. “Jess doesn’t want to stand next to me for however long the service is. She deals with me enough at home.”

“Guess that’s fair,” I smiled.

“So… when is the big day?” Josh smirked. “I’m tired of watching what I eat so I don’t blow the tux or suit out after I get fitted for it.”

“I’ll need to sit down with Mace and discuss that. I’ll let him tell you by…the end of the week, maybe? Assuming we can both agree on a date.” My eyes widened. “Oh, I just thought of the perfect date! Excuse me for one second – I need to see if he likes it before I forget about it!”

“Mind if I tag along?” he asked. “I actually miss your boys and want to see them again.”

“Of course! They probably miss you too.” I slapped my forehead. “I’m sorry, I should’ve invited you up as soon as I came down.”

“Aw, don’t beat yourself up over it dude. You are one busy teenager, doing things meant for people ten years older than you. You’re doing a heck of a job with those two, by the way.”

“Thanks,” I said as I clasped him on the shoulder, touched by the comment. I waltzed in to the apartment and watched as Mason staggered his fall as the twins swarmed him, all three giggling like monkeys. “Hey babe. I need to ask you something. Boys, come say hi to Uncle Josh.” The twins looked up and scrambled to get up and waddled over to and latched onto Josh. He picked them both up.

“Let’s give your daddies a few seconds little guys. Okay?” Happy sounds came from their mouths as he took them towards the nursery end.

“What’s up babe?” Mason said as we kissed and embraced. “Something the matter?”

“No, I just wanted to get your opinion on our wedding date.”

“Oh, did Josh ask about it?” he said with a knowing smile. “It might be good to get Kat and Jess off my back about it.” He rubbed his forehead. “Every day, they ask me when it’s going to be and every day, I tell them we need to talk about it. Of course one thing lends to another and we just forget about it. What did you have in mind?”

“June thirteenth.”

Mason pulled out his phone and browsed to April of the coming year. “Babe… you know that’s a Wednesday, right?”

“I don’t really care what day of the week it is. It’s just… that’s the twins’ birthday.”

“Aw, I think that’s sweet of you babe – I see why you wanted that day. But it’s okay, I think of myself as their dad now – just like you wanted of me. Plus, I don’t think we should tie up their birthday with our anniversary. That should be their day – not forced to share it with us.”

I nodded. “You’re right – I wasn’t thinking it through, I guess.” Another idea came to mind. “What about June ninth?”

Mason smiled. “Now you want it on my birthday? Can’t we pick a normal day – make it its own day?”

“I guess we could. I guess I just wanted it to be on a special day – your birthday or the twins’ – to make it even more meaningful.”

“Babe, whatever day we say our vows to each other will make it meaningful in its own right.” Mason glanced back to his phone. “Here, how about May thirteenth? One month before the boys were born. And it’s a Saturday – that’d be better for school purposes anyway for all involved. Along with allowing for the adults to make sure they have off work. It should still be comfortable then – not too hot or cold.”

It didn’t take long to think about. “Perfect,” I said before my lips found his. We kissed for a few moments. I stared into his eyes and saw his love for me radiating forth and it touched that special place in my heart, reserved just for him. “May thirteenth it is.” With one last kiss, I gently rested my head on his shoulder. He drew his arms around me and we swayed, comfortable in the silence.

 


 

Christmas came and went. The twins were confused about the pageantry involved, but they were happy they got new toys – I especially loved it when they traded toys several times with each other. Not once did they fuss with one another. Scott, being the slightly bigger twin, sometimes tries to throw his size around and pushes Ryan around. Mason and I are quick to intervene in those situations. I don’t want Scott to turn out to be a bully, nor do I want Ryan afraid of everyone and everything. Usually, we tend to dote on Ryan a touch more while Scott sits in the time-out playpen. We make sure to explain what he did wrong and once we think he understands, we drop it and dust it under the rug until it happens again.

New Year’s, Valentine’s Day, Easter… they all blurred together for me. Feed the boys, start school with Alice, take a break and change a diaper as needed, go back to work, break for lunch, yet more schooling, pause to put the boys down for their afternoon nap. Watch the boys rush Mason as soon as he’s in the door, see the love in his eyes for them – and for me when he turns to give me a kiss, seeing the joy in Mason’s eyes as he puts me on break and plays with our sons. Our sons. Together… it just seems so… surreal sometimes, but I quickly shake that feeling away, count my blessings, and just smile.

Preparing for the wedding helped to eat away at the time since Christmas. Dad helped immensely getting things set up for us. I kept joking that we’d probably be one of if not the youngest gay couple to get married and Dad, while chuckling, agreed. So did Mace when I told him my thought later. Tuxes were rented, dresses for Kat and Jess were ordered, and all were fitted appropriately. We even got cute little tuxes for the twins – or rather we did a week ago. I wasn’t sure how fast they’re growing since turning a full year old and didn’t want to have Dad spend the money on tuxes for them only to be too small on the wedding day – today.

I sat downstairs, almost bouncing in my seat as nerves started to get to me. Butterflies the size of the moon jumped around and used my stomach as a trampoline. I can’t sit still! I jumped up and paced. My mind felt like it was running the New York City Marathon. It jumped from one topic to the next, most of the time before I could complete that thought: I hope the twins are being good for Alice – of course they’re being good for Alice – it was hard getting them into those tuxes without letting them get something on – I really need to finish my report on the Civil War after – why can’t I stop my brain?! – I wish I could hold my boys right now – I wonder how nervous Mace is right now – I hope this goes smoothly.

“Son,” Dad said, startling me a bit. “Are you ready?”

“I want to say yes, but nerves are making me want to say no. So I’m just going to tell my nerves to shut it and deal and go with my mind and heart. Yes.” I talked very fast, eliciting a snicker from Dad.

“Son, you’re about as nervous as I was when I married Mom. And you’re right – just ignore those nerves. Once you see your soon-to-be husband at that altar, you’ll tune most everything out. You’ll respond on auto-pilot when you need to – just remember the rehearsal last night and you’ll be fine.”

“Am I allowed to have champagne?” I asked with a smirk.

“We’ll cross that bridge a bit later, alright?” I shrugged – it was worth a shot.

“That’s fine Dad. I was really kidding – I just need to say stuff, to keep talking. I’m trying to fry my nerves so they leave me alone. I want today to be perfect.”

“It will be, son. It will be.” Dad glanced at his watch. “Oh, time to go get the other one. Still walking you down together, right?”

“Yeah, I want us to share the moment together – we’re equals in this marriage. No one gets better or worse treatment than the other.”

Dad tapped my cheek. “Good attitude to have, son. You two will go far.” Dad shook his head. “If people – gay or straight – could see this wedding, I hope they get that from you two and learn from it. There’d be less divorce in the country.” Dad disappeared as I glanced out the open back door, over the few guests occupying our backyard. We wanted to keep it small, but aside from our friends that stood with us were the parents of our friends and their family. I think Josh and Jess’s immediate family took up the most seats with their several siblings. I noticed the familiar silhouette of a one Jeanne Croix sitting near the front on one side. I was so happy she was able to fly in for it not just for my sake but maybe for Conner’s as well. My gaze floated away from the guests and took in the surroundings for this most perfect of days.

The sky was a cerulean blue – barely a cloud in the sky. The temperatures were in the mid-sixties – a bit warmer than normal. The day was absolutely stunning. There was a threat of rain in the forecast, but seeing nothing in the sky, that threat was unfounded or due to arrive much later. I spotted the newest addition to the backyard Dad had built just for this occasion. The gazebo where our vows would be exchanged was beautiful, made of sealed oak and stood proudly as the main focal point of the yard. Once the wedding was wrapped up, he said he’d keep it and put in a couple of swinging benches along the perimeter of the ten foot wide circular construction.

Slowly, I heard the sounds of the wedding party nearing me. I saw Eric, Ben, and Josh saunter towards me and I had to catch myself from staring too long at them – they looked totally smashing in their tuxes. Shortly after, I saw Jess and Kat – elegant and gorgeous in their dresses – sidle up to the rest of the gang. Then Jared walked into the room. I seriously almost lost it – he looked smoking hot! But my attention was forced away from even that Greek god I call my best friend.

Mason strolled down the hallway and into the room, looking a bit shy and nervous, but so… fucking… adorable! It took a ton of my willpower to stand in my spot and not ravage him mercilessly. His hair was done up in a faux hawk again. He wore the traditional tux but with one addition – an emerald flower pinned to his jacket. It played off the emerald in Jess’s dress and complemented Kat’s sapphire dress in the same style. I wore the opposite tux, kind of like what Mason wore for my birthday dinner when we were first going out. I also had a sapphire flower on my jacket, standing out prominently against the white jacket. All of Mason’s ushers wore the same flower on their jackets just as mine wore the same as me. Conner and Richie came by just as the piano started sounding. Signifying their status, both Conner and Richie also wore tuxes similar to the other guys’, but with the addition of a sash around their waists matching their sides’ colors.

Kat and Jess stood at the front, right by the door, with the pair of Josh and Ben behind them, followed by Jared and Eric, with Conner and Richie in front of us. I felt Dad’s hand clasp onto my shoulder and saw he also held Mason’s. All of our friends looked back towards Dad and I saw him nod once when I looked up at him. And, so it begins.

Jess and Kat walked down, tossing some flower petals around as they marched. Once they reached the gazebo-slash-altar, they broke away from one another and stood on their sides. Josh and Ben took their turn and separated just like the girls. Jared and Eric also performed excellently and, before Conner and Richie went, the younger boy turned back to us. He bounced up and down a few times, brimming with exuberance. He even winked as he burned off some energy and became serious again. The two of them strolled out and took their place. I stared out and saw my friends and family, flanking each side of the altar in perfection. I felt tears of joy try to claw their way out of my eyes. It was much too soon to be crying at my own wedding, damn it!

“Babe, it’s time,” Mason said with nervous excitement. He anxiously wiped his palms on his trousers before he rolled his shoulders, shaking some of the nerves away. He flashed me a wickedly sexy smile and I almost lost my footing. The wedding march sounded from the piano, giving us our cue. We hooked our arms together and started our march.

I felt so much pride and happiness as I found every, single eye in attendance staring back as Mason and I took our march down the aisle, Dad in full Navy dress uniform behind us – he asked if he could and I jumped at the chance. He looked really dapper in the Navy dress whites, with his angular, clean-shaved jaw and a dash of his own boyish charm, his hat tucked under his arm – must be where I get my own from, I mused to myself. With much anticipation, we reached the end of our march and walked up an extra step to stand a touch higher than the wedding party – with maybe the exception of Conner and Jared. Blasted tall people.

“Dearly belovéd, we gather here today to bear witness to the holy matrimony of these two fine young men,” our priest, a Father O’Donnell began – a cheery-looking Irishman with bright red hair and a pure, innocent twinkle to his eyes. I found myself tuning out what he was saying – I found myself lost in the sea of Mason’s eyes, his face, his joyous smile with just a hint of a nervous giggle every so often. I felt myself giggling a bit too while tears streamed down my face. I couldn’t believe it was here, only fifteen years in the making. After my fifteenth birthday, I finally started receiving those hormones from my pituitary gland, giving my body the go ahead to finally play catch up with my friends. Most of the guys were about five ten I’d guess, give or take. Once I stopped shooting up, I leveled off at a decent five seven. I knew I never would be the tallest kid out there, but I can handle being only a couple inches lower than them. But I now could more easily look my Mason in the eye without too much strain to either of us.

“Would the ring bearers step forward please?” I heard Father O’Donnell call out. This was my treat to the boys for being so well behaved during the planning of the wedding. Alice walked with them holding their hands. Their free hands held a pillow each, with the rings we picked out for each other pinned to them just to be safe. Scott seemed to soak up the attention, but Ryan looked nervous. His eyes kept darting around at the strange, new people staring back at him but he was a trooper and didn’t throw a fit. Once Ryan found me looking back at him with a smile on my face, he seemed to relax and a smile finally found his face. Alice stopped a few feet short and released their hands. I almost cheered as, just like we taught them, they took one another’s hands and carefully found their way at our feet. Several gushes from the crowd poured forth, not to mention several pictures flashed.

“Pop,” Scott said, offering his pillow up for Mason. Mason bent down, took the ring, and kissed him on the cheek. Richie took his hand and picked him up.

“Daddy, here,” Ryan said as he tugged on my pant leg. I bent down and took Mason’s ring from him. I pulled him in for a hug after I gave him his own kiss.

“You did great, sport – not a single tear. I’m so proud of you,” I whispered in his ear. I released him from my hold and he had the biggest smile on his face before Conner took his hand and lifted him up as well.

“The couple has foregone the traditional vows and have written their own,” Father O’Donnell announced. “Alexander, you may proceed when ready.”

I took a deep breath. I took Mason’s left hand in between my own. “Mason Scott Jackson, when I first met you, it was only in passing, not even a word said between us. But something told me then that this is where we’d end up. You complete me in a way I’ve never felt before and don’t dare risk giving it up, regardless of age. You are my savior, my warrior, my hero. You stood by me in one of my darkest times when most wouldn’t and I don’t doubt you’ll stand by me, no matter the place, no matter the time, in the future and beyond. I place this ring on your finger as a token of that which you give me each and every time I see your smiling face in the morning and before I go to sleep at night. This I vow.” I slid the platinum band onto his ring finger and saw the tears in his eyes.

“Mason,” the Father said.

“E-Excuse me a second,” he said tearfully but cheerily to a round of light, happy laughter from our guests. Mason had to pull out a tissue to dab his eyes and blow his nose.

“Why Pop cry?” Scott asked Richie, sounding a bit upset himself. More laughter echoed around us. Richie whispered he was really okay and that he’d tell him later. He seemed to accept this, but still looked at Mason with sad, puppy eyes. I took a glance back at Ryan and he too seemed concerned but said nothing. I locked eyes with Conner for a second and glanced back to Ryan. My brother picked up and did the same thing Richie did for Scott. I saw some tension leave my other son.

Mason cleared his throat and I felt him take my hands in his and I turned back to face him. “Alexander Montgomery Jacobs… where do I begin? I was a lost, lonely soul, wandering through Liberty High School, wondering what I could do to fix my situation at home. Then I saw you in the cafeteria on that first day back for our ninth grade year. When my eyes found yours, I knew there was something different about you than the others. Something… special. I found that out when I needed help desperately from a situation I didn’t know how to handle. You held me when I was upset, calmed me so I could act and react again, you even managed to help save my brother’s life from one of torment and misery, quite possibly even death. I cannot begin to thank you for this. Ever.” Mason took a moment to turn and face Richie and I saw my brother-in-law on the verge of a happy, thankful and appreciative collapse. Eric placed a hand on Richie’s shoulder and it helped to stabilize the youngster.

“During these horrible events, I saw you at your very core. Your honesty. Your integrity. Your refusal to let the situation beat you when I thought all options were gone. Mostly, I saw your loving, gentle spirit. It was this that touched my own spirit and, as you said, I couldn’t be foolish enough to let you slip away from me. Just as you, I knew we were destined to be together from that single moment in the cafeteria. So, with this ring, I give to you my undying respect for your courage, the admiration of how you approach life …and, that which means the most to me – my heart. This I vow.”

Holy… freaking… crap! I thought it was bad when I got emotional over the vows I had Dad help me to write – we wrote them separately, wanting to be surprised – but… but this loving, honest, caring boy that I’ll soon get to call “husband” officially… he just melted my heart with the most heartfelt words. I literally could feel my insides turning to jelly as I could almost taste and smell the love around the two of us, it was so pungent and fragrant.

“Mason Scott Jackson, do you take Alexander to be your lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer, ‘til death do you part for as long as you both shall live?”

“With all my heart, I do.”

“Alexander Montgomery Jacobs, do you take Mason to be your lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer, ‘til death do you part for as long as you both shall live?”

“W-With every f-fiber of my b-being, I absolutely do.”

“Now, with the power vested in me by the state of Vermont and by the grace of God, I now pronounce you man and husband.” I leaned in and gently kissed Mason for the first time today and the impact of that one, single action would’ve put me on my knees from weakness, but Mason managed to keep his footing and held onto me, keeping me upright. Slowly, we broke apart and I saw a new emotion in Mason’s eyes.

Acceptance. Total acceptance.

“I give to you all Mr. Alexander and Mason Jacobs!” The Father proclaimed to all as the small gathering in attendance all stood and applauded. Mason turned and took Scott from Richie as I took Ryan from Conner.

“D-Daddy sad?” Ryan asked, trying to hold his tears back.

“No baby,” I whispered. “Daddy’s very, very happy. Daddy is crying tears of happiness.”

“Scott?” he asked me. “Where Scott?”

“Pop has him, son. See?” I turned so Ryan could see his twin.

“Daddy happy?” Scott asked. “Pop too?”

“Yes, champ,” Mason said, rubbing a finger against his cheek. “Both Daddy and Pop are very happy right now. Let’s all go get something to eat. How does that sound?”

“Food!” Scott clapped and wiggled around.

“How about you Ryan?” I asked.

“I hungry,” he said as he lifted up his tux shirt and jacket to reveal his baby belly, trying to actually see the rumblings of his tummy. I couldn’t resist and let loose with a raspberry to his exposed stomach. He giggled as he tried to force the fabric back down. “D…Daddy! Tickles!” he screamed with laughter.

 


 

“Little one.”

I spun around to see Evan leaning against one of the posts. It was just after the reception had ended and most of our guests had left the rented banquet hall. The catered meal was outstanding, but that wasn’t the best part of the evening. The best part was when both Richie and Conner stood up and gave their toasts. Richie’s was heartfelt and mirrored what Mace said at the altar when he spoke to me, saying how he could never repay me for saving not only his actual life but how I went to the next step to try and reestablish a social life for him by helping him with his speaking ability, even when Richie reacted negatively towards me for a tiny bit. I smiled at him and gave him a hug and quickly kissed him on the cheek.

“You don’t owe me a thing, Richard,” I whispered to him. “You just keep being the boy you are now and you’ll turn out to be a fine man, fit for only the best man or woman you choose.” I think I touched his heart even more, as he latched onto me tighter than he already was. I think Scott decided to make his presence known by telling Richie to leave me alone – I thought it was cute he assumed Richie was strangling me or something. Everyone laughed and Richie finally released me. Conner’s was touching too, saying things about how he watched us interact, seeing the love between us each and every day at the house. Then he touched upon what happened to me and I watched as both he and Mason started to break down. Both of them grieved for the amount of pain I had to have been in when I apparently stumbled back home that one December. Both of them feared for my being but managed to keep a positive outlook when I showed signs of recovery. He said that us being here, together and married, proved to him that our love was unrelenting. Both Mason and I hugged Conner.

I surveyed the area, in no rush since both Dad and Alice insisted on taking the twins off our hands for the night and all of tomorrow. They knew we couldn’t have a real honeymoon, but I thought it was a nice compromise. I finally appraised Evan in his tux and nodded to him. “Yeah?”

“I think you should know that I think Mason’s mother tried to crash the wedding.”

Anger started to boil inside me. That stupid… person. Ugh. I can’t even swear in my head I’m afraid the boys will pick it up by osmosis or something. “Really?” I said flatly.

“Yeah, but me and my dad stopped her and got the police involved before she could ruin this momentous day for you two. But that, unfortunately, is only the tip of the iceberg.”

I felt my anger fade as the chill in my blood cooled it. “Could you elaborate?” This time I was apprehensive.

“My informant is still relaying me some good info – he was loyal to the previous leader and hates Bates with a passion, but is rather stuck currently. I was told that Bates is stepping up his details to find you. In a serious way. Since you’ve been a forced recluse, he’s starting to become irritated that he can’t find you and take you out. He was hoping that since Marissa had an interest in you physically, that she’d end up doing you in and his hands would be clean of, and I quote, ‘That faggot’s stench and fluids. I don’t need to touch him if I can help it!’”

“Awesome,” I said. “Your dad’s a lawyer. Couldn’t I get a restraining order on him and anyone he associates with to stay away from me, my sons, my husband, in addition to my family and friends?”

“To be honest, I don’t know, but I can already surmise that’s one big ass restraining order to cover all that you mentioned. It might be doable since most of them live with you. I’ll ask Dad when I get home and have him get in touch with yours.” Evan placed his hands on my shoulders. “I don’t know what you had planned for your honeymoon, but I’d recommend you keep it low key. Like at home.”

“Don’t worry,” I grinned. “I don’t think that’ll be a problem. In fact, Dad might have an issue getting me out of bed once Mace has his way with me and I him.” I chuckled. “Have your dad wait to talk to mine until Monday if you can help it.”

Evan just laughed as he walked away. But I could tell that laugh was a bit forced since that man had some level of concern for my well-being. And, with a man like Bates after me, he had every right to be.

 


 

“I’d carry you across the threshold, babe, but since you’ve had that growth spurt, I don’t think I can,” Mason said a bit forlornly.

“Babe, it’s okay,” I said as we approached our door, slightly open. We held each other’s hands as I pushed it open. “Hello? Anyone here?” I called out, not wanting to be caught in an embarrassing situation.

“Yeah, please tell me you have clothes on!” I heard Conner call from the nursery. We went over and saw him gathering a few things for the twins’ stay with their grandfather and “grandmother”. I laughed a bit as I called Alice that, but it felt appropriate. Conner peeked out of his eyelids before opening his eyes fully and sighing. “Oh good you two aren’t ‘busy’ yet,” he chided. “I’ll be out of your way shortly, bros. Just getting a few things for the boys.”

“Make sure that Ryan’s giraffe and Scott’s shark are there if they don’t have them already – you’ll have a hell of a time getting them to sleep without them.”

“Yep, they already are downstairs. Anything else you know they’ll need?”

“Well, besides their dads, no not really. This… is a bit hard for me, to be honest,” I said as I turned to Mason. “I feel like I’m being too selfish all of a sudden.”

“Babe, they’ll only be downstairs if you really need to see them tomorrow. You know they’re in good hands with Dad, Conner, Richie… all of them.”

“What’s going on in here?” Jared asked as he peeked over my and Mason’s shoulders.

“Conner’s getting stuff for the boys so we can have our ‘honeymoon’,” Mason giggled.

“Hey, Con let me help,” Jared said as he stepped past us. “Is this crib ready to go?”

“Yeah, should be. Go ahead and push that one to the top of the steps and I’ll bring the other in a second. We can be out of the lovebirds’ way and just carry them down one at a time.”

“Sounds like a plan.” Jared turned back to us for a second. “Guys, your wedding was… awesome. Thanks again for letting me be a part of it.”

“Jared, we were happy that you could even be there to see it, let alone participate. So don’t sweat it,” I said as I hugged him for the first time being closer to eye level than ever before – my head fit just under Jared’s chin. “This is different,” I laughed.

“How so?” Jared said, taking the bait.

“I’m not so little anymore.”

“Bet I can still pick you up,” he grinned. He did just that – he grabbed my biceps and heaved, pulling me off the ground a good four or five inches at least.

“Hey, put my husband down before you break him!” Mason said. “I get to do that later when you two leave.” Jared laughed hard and almost dropped me into Conner, but I slipped out when I felt his posture change.

“Xan, I’m your best friend, so… I’ll get deets later, right?”

“Perhaps. I have to see if that’s okay with my husband to divulge such information – he may want to keep things private.” Jared started to pout.

“Oh dear God, just tell him whatever he wants to know!” Mason shouted. “Every time he pouts, I get weak knees!”

“He is cute as fuck when he pouts, isn’t he?” I whispered to Mason as I kissed him a few times before we stopped and I just stared into his eyes while stroking his cheeks. I could feel my breathing change. “Uh… how much longer you two?” I think I heard Mason’s change too – the twinkle in his eyes seemed to change as well, from playful to lustful.

“Yeah… how long?” Mason breathed, still staring in my eyes.

“Um, Con we should go… like now. They’re about to rip those tuxes off each other,” Jared said as he hurriedly started throwing a few extra toys into a crib. “We can sort this out downstairs.”

“Right,” Conner said, catching on. “We’ll make sure to put a sign on your door in case you don’t make it to locking it.”

“Kay,” I said, my breathing even more ragged. I was doing all I could do to hold my loins in check. I think Mason was too – I saw him raise his hand gently, but pulled it back down. I think if he touched me like I thought he was about to, the Pope himself could’ve been in the room and I would’ve still shagged my husband from here to eternity. But I could tell eternity was fast approaching – the pressure in my slacks was becoming uncomfortable, unbearable.

“We’re leaving now!” Jared shouted from the front door. “Have fun kids!” he added with a snicker. He purposefully slammed the door.

We attacked one another once the door latched.

Mason’s hand grabbed a hold of my head as his lips tried to devour my face while I tried to do the same to him. The only sounds in the apartment were our lips smacking together accompanied by the grunts and moans our throats issued. Somehow we wandered back towards the main door. With great willpower, I broke away from Mason. We both took the time to catch our breaths.

“Hot… damn,” he breathed. I said nothing. I just ran to the front door and bolted it shut while I saw Mason sprint over to the door leading to the outside world, making sure no one could get in here without breaking a few doors down. As we slowly walked towards one another, both of us took the time to peel off our shirts, leaving us bare-chested. We met again in the dining room and our lips found one another again. Feeling Mason’s heat, unfiltered, turned me on to a new level and I moaned loudly while we made out, dueling our tongues this time. I had deflated a bit from our small break in the action, but sprung back and harder than ever. Mason fumbled with my belt as I undid his. Both of us flung them wildly around the room as we kissed our way to the bedroom and fell into the bed.

A crinkling sound broke us from the moment. Mason reached behind him and produced a bag, but not just any bag. It was a bag from an adult store. There was a card attached to the handle. Mason handed it to me and I read it aloud.

“Dear boys, I knew this day was coming so I decided to jump in and give you a helping hand with some things. I want you both to be careful, but to enjoy each other thoroughly – you truly only get one chance at a real honeymoon. With Love, Dad.” While I read it, Mason dumped the contents of the bag out onto the bed and we both gasped. A couple of vibrators in different sizes hit the bed first, followed by a couple tubes of lube, as well as a couple of things called “lube launchers” according to the packaging. One package of condoms and I smiled at the note attached to the box, saying “For the toys”.

“Babe…” I said as I kissed Mason deeply. I pulled away and he tried to follow. I gently stopped him. “I… don’t want to ruin today, but I need to tell you I talked to Evan before the reception was completely over. He told me that your mom tried to crash the wedding and that Bates is stepping up his game plan for me. I…I just want you to be careful at school and to pass the word onto the others – I don’t know what that bastard has planned for me now.”

“Xan hun,” Mason said pulling me in for yet another kiss. “Let’s worry about that on Monday – late Sunday if we have to. Can you do that?” He kissed me once more, and I felt the passion, the longing in this kiss. He wasn’t about to be denied.

“Course,” I said, suckling on his neck, eliciting a moan from him. “Just wanted to say something before I forgot.” I nibbled on the skin there, getting a louder moan from him and I giggled. I unbuttoned his pants and pushed them with his boxers down as far as I could without breaking my renewed contact with my boy’s sweet lips. I felt my pants stop around my knees as we smacked again and again. Both of us wiggled around until the articles were pooled on our ankles; I reached and steadied myself on his shoulders as I stepped out of them. Mason did the same thing.

Mason turned us around and pushed me back onto the bed. He climbed on top of me before he reached behind him and grabbed the smaller vibrator, a tube of lube, the pack of condoms, and one of the lube launchers. “I think we should… put these to good use,” Mason said lustfully. I nodded, unable to speak. Mason started pushing my legs up and grabbed a hold of them behind my knees. I felt myself on the edge of a climax just by thinking about what was nearing. Mason – my beautiful Mason – was about to shove a vibrator up my ass and I squirmed in anticipation, longing.

“Babe…” I squawked. “I’m… close. I haven’t jerked off for a week before this night. I’ll probably shoot the moment that toy touches my hole.” He nodded in understanding. Maybe he did the same thing – I don’t really know. I just know that we made sure to stop sucking each other off last Saturday, to savor this moment when it arrived. I was definitely savoring.

Mason took his time with the toys. He applied some lube to the condom-encased vibrator and filled the launcher with more of the slippery substance. By this time, my turgid penis relaxed somewhat due to lack of Mason contact. He applied a few drops to his index finger. “I’m going to loosen you up a bit before I fill you with lube babe. Then we can get to the fun.”

There went any relaxation in my dick – it sprang back up to full attention. “Can’t wait,” I breathed longingly. I really hoped the toy wouldn’t get me off – I wanted to make it my mission to have Mason inside me when it came to that time. But I wasn’t opposed to a bit of fun in the process – not at all.

I felt his finger trace my hole and I shuddered as he slowly and carefully tried to work the tip in. After a bit of this, it slowly slipped in to his first knuckle. I felt it squirm around a bit as he slowly withdrew it only to slide it in further, slowly up to his second knuckle. I felt a bit of discomfort but nothing I couldn’t handle. “You okay babe?” Mason asked.

“Good. Fine.”

He slowly and gently pressed into my sphincter on all sides, trying to stretch me out. I’m not sure how long he kept it up before I noticed he added a second digit – the pain was already gone, only replaced by fullness and good feelings. I looked down and saw a tiny puddle of liquid forming on my belly. He pulled his fingers out the whole way and placed the launcher at my hole. I felt a coolness flood my bowel as the lube collected within me.

Then I felt the head of the toy touch my hole.

Slowly, gently, he eased the head in and it felt a lot bigger than his fingers. I had to force myself to stay relaxed or end up feeling more discomfort or even pain than I already felt. Somehow I managed as I breathed in controlled breaths. Mace looked at me and I just nodded, saying I was okay. It took about ten minutes, but I could tell I had a good bit of the toy deep inside me.

He turned it on.

“Oh my God!” I screamed as the pure pleasure as the vibrations rubbed my prostate, making the vibrations carry across the rest of me. I’ve never felt such a sensation and it was fucking amazing! Holy shit! “Ung…! Oh… My… God!” I shouted again as I felt my balls churning, percolating. The buildup was approaching after only a few minutes and somehow, a tiny thought forced its way to the forefront of my brain. “Ugh! Mace… pull… pull it out!”

He switched the toy off and slowly I felt myself emptying. “Babe something wrong?”

“Fuck me!” I shouted. “Screw the toy…I want you to fuck me!” I felt so close, balancing so very close to the edge of orgasm. But I wanted Mason’s own penis to be the cause of it – nothing else. He started to reach for my throbbing member but I pushed his hands away before I slid my own underneath me. “No babe…! I want your dick to bring me over! Please, babe! I need your hot cock in my ass now!” I was desperate for it – I felt the gentlest of drafts would set me off.

I heard him applying lube to his own dick. The sounds alone made me moan with want, the desire to have that piece of meat buried inside its new home. He slid the glans of his cock up and down my crack a few times, teasing me. Oh he didn’t know how much closer that made me! By sheer will, I somehow managed to belay my imminent explosion. “Babe!” I growled as I grabbed his dick and placed it at my hole. “I said fuck me!” I think he laughed a bit before I felt him put pressure on my chute and his head popped inside. He paused and I was glad – his cock felt fucking huge compared to the toy! Maybe I should’ve let him use the dildo a bit longer. But no – I couldn’t, not with how I planned this night to go.

I got used to the size and discomfort and I signaled his could slide in more. I felt him get about halfway before he paused again. It took another minute to adjust to his dimensions and I nodded again. This time, I grabbed his ass and pulled him to me, forcing the rest of his six inches home.

“Oh God!” I moaned, feeling the heat of his cock against my prostate. Neither of us moved.

“Okay babe?” Mason asked with a grunt. I think he was restraining himself from hurting me. What a champ!

I waited only a few seconds. “Go ahead. Start off slow, though.”

“Course.”

Slowly he pulled back and I felt some more discomfort, but the pleasure was slowly clawing its way up while pulling the discomfort down. He slowly sank back home and he brushed that spot deep in me.

“Oh shit!” I said, biting my fist as a wave of sheer bliss flooded me. I couldn’t wait any longer. “Faster Mason! Go… faster!” He didn’t need to be told twice. He picked up the pace and some discomfort returned but only for a scant second. Each time he bottomed out in me, the pleasure took over and overrode everything else. Each time, his dick slid across that magnificent organ within me and I was left nearly breathless. He stared deep into my eyes, and I his. I saw the tears in his eyes, but I knew they were the tears of love, of finally culminating to this point, because I saw the utter happiness in them.

Suddenly, he picked up speed again and all that escaped my mouth was one long, low groan. I pulled Mace to me and we kissed furiously, passionately as he continued to breed me. In and out, faster and faster.

“Oh… oh… God… oh shit!” Mason panted around my mouth. “Alex… can’t… oh God…” No more words came from his mouth in between our kisses. Instead, he just shouted into my own mouth as he buried himself deep inside me. I felt his tool expand and throb in the throes of ejaculation.

Right against my prostate.

I let loose my own growl as our lips fought and wetness streaked between us – one shot, two, no three. I stopped counting as I felt like I was being pulled inside out as I continued to fire between us. Mason’s eyes glazed over before my own did. Carefully, once he was back in control again, he grabbed a dirty tee from the floor and held it to my ass as he fell out with an audible plop. Both of us giggled as Mace was dutiful to clean me up as I felt his essence ooze out of me. Once done, he tossed the shirt aside as he began licking up what I deposited on me. I returned the favor, tasting me against flesh du Mason.

We lay next to each other before suddenly I started laughing. Mason looked over at me and just smiled. “Babe, what is it?” He planted a few feathery kisses to my lips and cheek.

I calmed down enough to say, “We did things backwards!” And I started laughing again.

He stopped and frowned a bit. “What do you mean?”

I saw the frown and it sobered me up enough to explain. “We fucked after we had kids!” The light bulb clicked for my husband and he too joined me in laughter.

 


 

All of that Sunday was spent in bed with the exception of stopping for some food. Sex is tiring after doing it nonstop for hours! Once we recovered from our first round, I took my turn and fucked Mason’s brains out. He was absolutely in heaven. Granted so was I, when I felt that velvety hot tunnel envelope my own dick, I nearly blew it then and there. I think the release of my first load helped to keep me in check until I was ready. After that, we sucked each other, cuddled, made out… you name it. Our honeymoon was perfect in my mind. Absolutely perfect.

Mason got his license a few months after his birthday and Dad gave us a car as a wedding gift – a used, but nice 2000 Santa Fe. What can I say, the man loves that SUV. It was awesome now we could go out and about on our own, no brothers or fathers to restrict what we do. Not that we don’t love them, it’s just I bet Conner, Dad, and Alice grew tired of carting us boys around to doctor’s appointments for the boys or whatever. Plus, Mason said once he turned sixteen and had his own transportation, he wanted to get a job to help pay our own way a bit more. Dad refused that.

“Son,” he said to Mason when he asked about employment. “I understand why you want to get a job, I really do. But right now you’re place is by my boy’s side, helping him to raise those grandsons of mine to be the best men they can be when they get old enough. If you can do that for me, I don’t mind paying your way for a bit longer. You’d feel burnt out with school, work, and the full-time job of raising your sons with Xander. You’ll have plenty of time to work yourself silly. You’ve already been rushed with life once – the boys – so don’t feel rushed to do other things if you don’t have to.” Mason relented after a while and said Dad made sense. I was also relieved that he wasn’t going to work just yet – I wanted my Mace for myself as long as I could.

Our junior year flew by unnoticed as somehow I stayed off Bates's radar since I was more or less homebound. No major events occurred with the notable exception of the twins turning two. We held a small family party for them and they soaked up the attention like sponges. But it was cool when they started talking amongst themselves and played with the new toys and giggled at the icing still on the other’s faces from grabbing their cake and smearing across their mouths. I managed to get a picture of Ryan shoving cake into Scott’s face as both boys laughed like hyenas. I got lucky with another as Scott did the same to Ryan before Mason could interfere and wipe them both down. It was truly special.

The boys were shooting up like weeds too, almost too fast for my tastes. I wanted them to stay babies forever, but I knew it wasn’t meant to be. Both were walking around confidently now as Mason got ready for his first day back from fall break, chatting up their other father. They also were starting to talk a lot more, with clearer sentences than even what was said by them on their birthday. I smiled as Mason played with them a bit before he straightened up. “Okay guys, Pop needs to go to school,” I said.

“Aww!” both boys pouted as Mason extracted his legs from them.

“Daddy will still be here of course,” Mason said as he ruffled their unruly mops. I think I need to get them a haircut.

“Babe, can you get a ride today from Ben or Josh? We almost can’t see them under all that hair, so I was going to take the Santa Fe into town and get them trimmed up.”

“What about your school?” Mason teased as he pulled me to him before planting a feather kiss to my lips. “You need your learning too.”

“I know… but I’m actually a bit ahead of all you guys – I could get my diploma by November at the rate Alice is teaching me. Maybe sooner, since I have been using the summer a bit to get ahead the past couple of years. I think I can have some ‘senioritis’ like you and the other pubbies get.”

“Pubbies?” Mason laughed.

“Yeah, kids that go to public school,” I joked. “Anyway, Alice is in Ohio with Jared and she has no substitute, remember? So call this an in-service day for the Jacobs School District.” Mason rolled his eyes and pulled out his cell.

“Hey Josh, it’s Mace. I was wondering if I can get a ride in with you today.” He paused as he looked at me. “Uh huh. Yeah, it’s really just for today – Xan needs our car to take the boys for a haircut. You can barely see their faces.” I picked Ryan up and tossed him into the air and he giggled.

“Again!” he cried.

“Once more then it’s Scotty’s turn, alright?”

“Kay!” I tossed him once more and he giggled himself silly. I sat him down and tossed Scott in the air twice getting the same reaction. I set my other son down as Mason smiled at me.

“Thanks Josh, we owe you one,” he said into the phone. “Okay, okay fine! We don’t owe you anything! See you in a few then and thanks again.” He hung up. “I’m good to go with Josh – he’s playing chauffeur today for the gang, so I’ll be the first stop since we’re a bit out of the way from the others.”

“Okay, I’ll probably get him some kind of small thing while at the mall, like a candy bar. I still need to get something for Conner for graduating high school back in June of last year. I hope international shipping rates aren’t too much and he's not mad it's so late.” My brother, after seeing Jeanne at our wedding, professed his love for the girl, all in fluent French (he had to tell me what he actually said later – I didn’t understand him at all). She said she still felt the same way about Conner and now they share a condo of sorts in Bordeaux, France. He’s studying to be a great chef from some of the best in the world. He did have that culinary talent – far better than even mine. The only recipe he still has trouble with is Mom’s mac and cheese – the dish I made for Mason on the day of our homecoming dance three years ago. Man, has it been that long already?

“I’m going to head to the garage and wait for Josh babe.”

“We’ll come with,” I said as I snagged a twin’s hand in my own. I turned to them. “Let’s go see Pop off to school. Maybe you can say hi to one of your other uncles.”

“Uncle Josh?” Ryan perked up.

“And Uncle Ben and Eric?” Scott chorused.

“Uncle Josh yes, Ben and Eric no. Uncle Josh is picking Pop up first.”

“Aww,” Scott said. “When they coming by again?”

“Maybe they can stop by after school – we’ll have to see. Pop and our friends are all seniors – they’re very busy with school and work.”

The four of us walked down the stairs and entered the garage. Mason opened the door to the outside world, the fall air chilling me a bit in my tee. I picked up the boys to help keep them a bit warmer – their pajamas weren’t too thick. I felt their arms encircle my neck as they pulled closer to me as they both shivered a bit. I stepped back into the house and grabbed their jackets for the time being, sat them down and put them on the boys. I scooped them back up and saw Josh pull up.

“Hey!” Josh called to me from his open window. I approached the car. “How’re things, Hordie?”

“Good. I’m really glad you could take my Mason to school today. As you can see,” I said as both boys turned to Josh. “You can barely see their faces under all that blond hair.”

“You’re not kidding man,” Josh said. “You two going for a trim, huh?”

“Haircut!” Ryan shouted, repeating my word from earlier. Scott just nodded enthusiastically.

“Cool. Now remember, you might be a little scared at first, but they know what they’re doing. I’ll let Daddy here explain the rest.”

“Thanks Josh, now they’re going to be terrified to go,” Mason laughed as we both saw signs of worry fall onto their little faces. “It’s okay guys! You’ll like it, trust me. It’s either that or you take your chances with Daddy cutting your hair.”

“Daddy!” both boys nodded, now worried about the mean, scary barber.

I laughed. “I love you both for believing in me, but I’ll do a horrible job. Thanks again for taking my man to school. Say good-bye to Pop and Uncle Josh, boys!”

“Bye Pop!” Ryan waved. He leaned forward and gave Josh a kiss on his forehead. “Bye Uncle Josh!” Scott mimicked his brother. All three of us waved as the car pulled out of the driveway.

 


 

“See, now that wasn’t so bad, now was it?” I said as I pulled our Santa Fe into the driveway with as much cheer as I could fake. I was a bit rattled, honestly. After leaving the mall with two freshly trimmed twins and the few other items I wanted to get, I got the boys settled in the car and started to leave. I didn’t see anyone enter that car while I was buckling the boys in, but it left at the same time I did – and I took a good ten to fifteen minutes at least since the boys were squirming from all the loose hair still itching their necks. The Toyota made the same turns I did, but kept a car between us when it could. The windows were tinted, making me at first suspicious then downright worried. Did that car belong to Bates or one of his goons?

Luckily, I pulled into our driveway and let the car pass before I backed up and headed away from our house much to the protests from the twins. I told them I forgot something I needed at the store and if they were good I might get them something like an ice cream cone. They were good the rest of the way – those two love their ice cream.

I pulled into the store for a moment to see if I could spot the Toyota – I couldn’t. I took a breath and drove over to a nearby Dairy Queen and snagged a few small dishes of their tasty soft serve.

“Nope,” Scott said with a giggle. “We home, Daddy?”

“Yes, son we’re home now.” I said as I slid from the driver’s seat. As soon as I shut the driver’s door I looked at my boys and saw worried expressions, their giggles suppressed. I had my hand to the door handle.

I didn’t get to open it.

“Take this you faggot!” I heard a voice, that voice as I felt the metal bar smash into my side. I fell to the ground in agony, but I looked up to see Bates circling me. “I’m going to take my time and enjoy watching you bleed, queer. Then I’m going to take those kids and save them from you and your kind.” I managed to lock all the doors to the SUV, sealing my kids inside. Just as he swung back, ready to strike again, I pushed the panic button on my fob, deafening the two of us in the tiny space of the garage. The sudden noise made Bates drop the weapon he held. I weakly grabbed it and swung it up as hard as I could, connecting the metal with his crotch. He dropped like a sack of potatoes and writhed on the ground in pure pain.

“That’s… what you… get,” I struggled to say as I pushed myself up to a standing position. “For… hurting me… in front of my sons!” I shouted the end as I kicked him in the stomach once, driving the air out of his lungs. I quickly pulled my cell out and dialed the police. I limped over and found a bungee cord hanging on the wall. I turned Bates over to his stomach and secured his hands. I stood up holding onto my side and glanced in at Ryan and Scott. Both were crying, trying to get out of their car seats. I tapped on the glass and both looked at me. I made sure to smile and the two of them calmed down a bit, but not by much. They needed their father’s arms around them and I’d provide for them – once the threat on the ground was gone.

The police arrived along with an ambulance. The paramedics checked Bates before letting the cops take him into custody. The paramedics weren’t as lenient with me as I sat on the edge of their truck, my shirt off.

“That’s a really bad bruise forming, Mr. Jacobs. I think we need to take you to the–”

“Out of the question right now,” I said, cutting them off. “I still have my sons still in my car and I bet they’re worried sick about me! I can’t leave them. They’re only two.”

“Is there anyone to watch them for you?” the lady asked.

“Right now, no. My own father is at work and Alice – my teacher and part-time nanny for the boys – took the day and is visiting a sick friend back in Ohio with her own son. My husband is still in school for another,” I paused only to check the time, “hour. I promise to go to the hospital once someone’s able to care for my sons, but right now, I can’t.”

The paramedics gave me a list of things to look out for and call for an ambulance immediately if those signs arose. I nodded and signed a waiver refusing the ambulance trip at that time while the police took my statement. I glanced down at my left side, the paramedics having to cut my shirt off me, and saw the nice, long bruise forming. I winced as I touched it. But the vehicles left, and I made my way back to the SUV. I unlocked the car.

“D-D-Daddy?!” Scotty said as he latched onto my neck as I leaned forward to get him out of the car seat.

“Daddy’s okay, boys,” I sighed, trying to hold my pain in. Scott let go and I picked him up and set him on the concrete next to me. I had to pause as lifting my son was almost torture – I probably have bruised ribs at the least. I took Scott’s hand and shuffled my way over to Ryan’s side, allowing him to hug me as well before I freed him from his car seat. “Ryan sweetie I need you to do Daddy a big favor. You think you can do it?”

“Y-Yes, D-D-Daddy,” the boy sniffled.

“Okay, I need you to slide carefully from your car seat to the car’s floor, alright?” He slowly and hesitantly did so. “Good boy, Ryan! Okay, now come over to the door carefully and give me your hand. Okay, now on the count of three, I want you to jump.”

“C-Can’t, Daddy!” Ryan said, suddenly afraid of the foot and a half fall to the concrete.

“Scott, stay right there, okay?” I said as I took Ryan’s other hand in my now free hand, letting go of Scott. “I still need you to jump Ry. I’ll help you as much as I can – Daddy’s hurting a bit more than he thought. I can’t pick you up right now, okay? Do you understand?”

“Yes…” Ryan now looked sad and it almost broke my heart that I was hurting him. With a mighty jump, Ryan cleared the SUV and I slowed his descent. Even that hurt me, but it wasn’t near the level of picking one of them up.

“Okay boys, in the house we go,” I encouraged, grimacing as the pain started to radiate further than it was ten minutes ago. I staggered to the door and pressed the garage door to shut as I fumbled with my house keys. I found the one I needed and unlocked the door. I knew I couldn’t make the stairs so I turned and headed for the living room. Once there, I eased myself onto my good side and relaxed as best I could. Both Ryan and Scott stood next to the couch looking very worried but otherwise said nothing. I pulled out my cell phone. I sent Mason a quick text saying I was calling for an emergency before I gave it to Scott, the calmer of the two. “Scott, I need you to call Pop. I need you to tell him that Daddy is hurt and he needs to come home now. Do you know what number to pick?” I was finding it too hard to talk now, the pain nearing excruciating levels.

“M-Mason?” he asked.

I ruffled his new haircut. “Good boy, you remembered Pop’s name. Call him now please – I-I don’t know if I can stay awake too much longer.” I grimaced and groaned as I held onto my injured side.

“P-Pop?” Scott said into the phone. I heard Mason’s voice sounding worried since Scott was using my phone. “D-D-Daddy’s hurting, Pop. Really bad P-Pop.” I caught part of the conversation where Mason told Scott that he and Ryan were to not leave my side for anything and that he’d be home as soon as he could. Scott climbed carefully on the couch and put the phone next to my ear.

“Baby, are you there?” Mason’s voice sounded through the device. I could tell he was worried for me. I groaned in response. “Baby, I’m coming home sweetie. Josh is letting me borrow his car. Hang in there Xan. Are both the boys with you?” I managed to get a positive grunt out. “Okay, I told Scott they both need to stay right next to you.” He paused. “I’m at Josh’s car now. I’ll be home in no time, babe.”

“Freezer,” I managed to get out to both Mason and Scott. I pushed the phone back towards Scott’s ear and I’m so glad Mason knew what I meant as it came to me. I remembered that the fridge down here had the freezer on the bottom – at the kids’ level. Scott put my phone back on the couch as he slid down and grabbed Ryan’s wrist and pulled him to the kitchen. I hoped they didn’t get hurt – I don’t know if I could help them if they did. I weakly placed the phone to my ear when I heard Mason scream into the phone. I made a noise saying I was there. He calmed down a bit.

“Babe, I told Scott to have him and Ry pull some stuff from the freezer for you to put on your side. I just hope those two don’t empty the damn thing out. I’m now about three minutes away. I’m going to go now and call Dad. Call me back if you think the boys are hurt or whatever… anything, babe. Just stay awake for me until I can get home.” I groaned out a yes and I heard the connection sever.

Two little feet scurried towards me with a large, frozen slab of steak. I mentally cheered at the fact they grabbed the right thing. The two of them were having issues carrying it – probably because it was really cold. But they got it near enough for me to take from them and I slipped in onto my hurting side. At first the weight made it hurt a million times worse, but the cold started to numb the nerves and the pain started to finally lessen.

The front door burst open and I saw Mason skid across the floor before he managed to come to the living room. He fell to his knees, tears in his eyes. “Oh babe,” he said as I think he saw the bruise that probably was huge if it matched the pain I felt. “Oh baby, what happened?” he choked back a sob. “Did you f-fall or…?” I think I saw it eyes widened. He stared into my eyes, hard. Almost both demanding and hoping I was about to refute what crossed his mind.

“B-Bates…” I croaked out and winced as the words hurt my lungs and chest.

Mason grabbed my cell since it was handier and called for an ambulance again. Once he was off the phone, he sat down next to me and pulled the boys to him as they were now crying since Mason was there now. “You two were so brave today! We’re both so very proud of you!” I don’t remember anything after that as the pain surged within me, causing me to pass out.

Copyright © 2011 Yanks13; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..