Jump to content
    Yanks13
  • Author
  • 6,885 Words
  • 2,839 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Primary Target - 7. Chapter 7

I couldn’t sleep last night. The text message came from someone unknown to me – the number was blocked. That message made me feel sullen the rest of the night. My earlier excitement and exuberance faded and allowed the doubt and uncertainty to creep in. Would I have to deal with this kind of crap for the entire year?

Conner saw something was up when he came in and just saw me staring numbly at my laptop, my hands poised to type but not actually typing. He poked me out of my state and my phone fell to the floor and before I could get it back, he snatched it up and saw the message on my phone. Instantly, he went into protection mode.

“We have to tell Willoughby!” He screamed. I snatched my phone from his hand before he shattered it in his grip. "Dad! The police! Someone!"

“I didn’t think about the haters targeting me when I signed up for this, but I should’ve suspected it,” I sighed despondently. “I just put a big bulls-eye on my back just for becoming President of the GSA even if I was straight, right?”

“Look at me.” Conner roughly grabbed my shoulders. “You’re letting them win already! What happened to the Alexander Jacobs that was all fire and brimstone two hours ago, ready to stick it to those bastards? Because in order to beat this ideal that gays are sick creatures, we need that Alex back. Not this one in front of me now, the one who is sullen and quiet.” Conner’s words reached me, but it didn’t have the effect on me that it should’ve. I quietly just brushed him off, saved my work, and headed to my room.

I felt exhausted this morning from all the tossing and turning in the night. I was really glad it was a Saturday – I didn’t really feel like greeting the school public today. I crawled out of bed and wandered downstairs in just my boxers, still trying to rub the sleep from my eyes and not really with it. The sleep refused to leave and held on like a fly stuck to those fly strips.

“Morning, Xander.” I heard my father’s voice pierce the newspaper, his head buried into the latest stories. I mumbled something like “Morning Dad”, but I don’t think he understood me as I heard the paper drop to the table, failing to fold it back up properly. “What’s wrong, son?”

“Nothing really,” I sighed as I found the orange juice. I poured myself a glass.

“Your brother has a different opinion,” he said casually. Damn. Conner said something to him this morning, I bet. Maybe last night if he hasn’t gotten up yet. I glanced at the microwave clock – it read just before nine. I groaned.

“Dad, what did he say to you?” I asked, hoping he’d tell me what I wanted to know without revealing things by accident. I wasn’t so lucky.

“What do you think he told me?” He countered as he arched an eyebrow. Double damn. I knew his executive officer experience from the Navy guided him in finding out what exactly he wanted to know.

“Never mind,” I nearly growled, refusing to even say anything now. I was getting angry. Dad saw this and almost matched me scowl to scowl, but he smiled softly at me after only a second.

“Son, come here,” he gently insisted. I grabbed my cup and reluctantly went for the nearest chair but Dad had other ideas. As soon as I was within reach, he grabbed my arms, took my cup from my hand, set it down on the table, and in one motion picked me up and sat me on his lap. It’s actually been a while since I’ve sat in his lap – I guess I thought I was too old for that sort of thing, but once there, I didn’t really feel like leaving. I was still a little embarrassed, but I settled into his body as he wrapped a shielding arm around me. “Were you going to tell me about that text message you got last night?”

“Probably,” I nodded as I spoke. “Why?”

“Well, you probably don’t want to hear this, but I had some buddies of mine do a search on your phone to see who sent it. They told me it was a disposable phone, so that has me worried. Why would someone threaten you like that? I'd suggest this was from that teen that...” He swallowed for a moment. "That tried to gut you, but he's being held on some charges. Just saw the article now." His voice was gentle, not harsh like I expected it to be when he found this stuff out.

I matched his nervous swallow at his mentioning of Bates. “Probably be because I’m president of the GSA at school. Conner’s my V.P.”

He seemed a bit lost. “GSA…?”

“The Gay-Straight Alliance. It’s a club designed to make sure student life at school is fair for all involved. I also plan to offer mentoring services to those unsure of things or have issues dealing with a sibling that’s gay. Conner and I helped one of my friends out a couple of days or so ago after I told him I was gay. He has a gay brother that’s already out of college.”

He looked concerned but let it slide. “Just be careful, alright? That’s all I ask.” I nodded. I felt Dad kiss the back of my head and gently started pushing me down. I got the hint. I started for the living room. “Xander?”

“Yeah Dad?”

“I’d appreciate it if you don’t come downstairs in just you underwear next time, okay?” He smiled. “I might have had some coworkers or friends over. I don’t need to see any of them try to rape you with their eyes.”

“Dad!” I exclaimed as I felt my whole body blush. He laughed.

“At least wear a shirt and make it look like you’re not trying to seduce everyone in a ten block radius.” I just rolled my eyes. I just remembered Mason was coming over to work on our photography project today! I froze in the middle of the doorway upon my realization and turned around. Setting my juice down, I bolted upstairs to my room and hopped into my shower. After ten minutes of getting a lovely water massage, I stepped out and as I dried my arms, I saw a blinking light coming from my cell, telling me I had a voicemail.

“Shit!” I nearly shouted. “He must’ve called me already.” I grabbed my phone and accessed my voicemail.

“Hey, it’s Mason. I… I was calling to see if we could work on our photography deal as soon as we could, since it's due Monday. When you get this… call me back? Okay… t-talk to you later, Xander.” I lowered my phone slowly, confused by the hidden message within the message. Was he just still nervous to talk to me now after he found out I’m gay? Did he not want to be around me now and just tolerated me for the sake of the grade? Or… was there more to this and I was unable to piece the puzzle together, remembering the worried expression I saw on his face? I just shook the thoughts away and redialed Mason’s cell.

“H-Hey, Xander,” Mason tentatively answered.

“Hey Mason,” I replied. “You called about the project?”

“Y-Yeah, I was… hoping I could come over now. Is… that alright?” Something about his voice was off. It was almost nervousness, but yet not quite.

“Sure, I’d have to ask my dad but he should be cool with it.” I paused. “Mason, you alright? You sound… I don’t know, scared, to talk to me for some reason?” I bit my lip, afraid of what he was going to say.

There was a pause in the conversation as I listened to his breathing and the background sounds. I thought I heard a screen door shut and a faint bird’s call sound through the speaker, telling me he stepped outside of his house. “Not now, o-okay? I do want to talk to you about… things.” I raised an eyebrow at his cryptic wording. I could detect the palpable sadness pouring from him into the phone. I felt the corners of my eyes well up.

“Okay, but can you tell me what’s going on with you when you come over?”

Again he paused. I thought I heard someone shout in the background. He held his phone away from his head as I heard his voice, but couldn’t make out what he said. It took about five minutes before he spoke back into the phone. If it’s even possible, the sadness in his voice was deeper, almost like he was either crying silently or trying to fight the tears. “C-Can you c-come and get me? M-My… m-m-mom isn’t h-home right now.”

“Yeah, I can,” I said calmly. I was anything but calm. I could sense something was terribly wrong with this boy. “I’m not sure where you live though. Can you either text me your address or maybe we could get you from a nearby gas station or…?” I was offering him options, hoping he saw me do as such.

He immediately stepped in. “There’s a g-gas station not too f-far from my house next to the school. H-How about there? I’m already heading that way, i-if it’s okay.”

“That’s fine; I think I know where you’ll be. I’m getting dressed and we should be heading that way in like five minutes.” I hesitated. “Mason, it’ll be okay, I promise.” I don’t know why I said that, but it felt appropriate, given the emotion coming from this boy.

“T-Thanks,” he muttered. I wanted to cry for Mason, I wanted to share his pain. I wanted to just package it all up, seal it tight, and ship it to the bottom of the ocean, just so my Mason would stop hurting. “S-See you in a few.” Before I could respond, the call ended. I never dressed as fast as I did just then. I pounded down the stairs and saw Dad was gone. There was a note written on the white board magnetized to the fridge. “Called into the office for a meeting. Be back before dinner, hopefully before lunch – Dad.” Damn it!

I whipped out my phone and called Conner’s cell, not sure if he was even in the house right now. It took several rings, but he finally answered. “Xan… why the hell are you calling me? I’m still in bed…”

“Well get up!” I nearly screamed into the phone. I felt panicked, like someone was holding a gun to my head and would kill me if we didn’t get Mason this very second. “Get up!

“Xander, what’s wrong?” I could tell he was becoming more alert, slipping into his protective mode. I really needed him in that mode right now.

“We need to go get Mason now!” I shouted. “Get up and get dressed! Hurry!” Even I heard the urgency in my voice as I slammed the halves of my phone together. I don’t know why I was so panicked over this, but something in my gut told me things weren’t as peachy for this boy as the kids at school suspect. I had the sight of objectivity, in a sense, and didn’t have years of dealing with him to color my thoughts about how this all sounded. I took this apparent cry for help at face value.

I heard Conner thundering down the stairs, completely dressed. He saw me pacing by the garage door and I locked eyes with him. Before I could start shouting again, he swept me up into his arms and held onto me tightly. He held me for a few seconds longer before he let go and wordlessly slipped past me. He grabbed his keys and I followed him into his Santa Fe.

“Where?” was all he said as we hit the main roads.

“Gas station by school. Probably the BP – it’s like across the street from it.” I felt the car accelerate. I glanced over and saw Conner exceeding the speed limit. We whipped into the station at what felt like three hundred miles an hour about ten minutes later. As Conner pulled into a spot, I was already opening the door and leaping out. I called Mason’s phone. It kept ringing and ringing. He wasn’t picking up, heightening my worry. But then I heard a cell phone ringing in the distance. I broke off into a run. The call dumped me to his voicemail, but I hung up and dialed again. The ringing started up again and got louder as I rounded the corner of the building. I stopped in my tracks.

Mason sat at the very back of the building, hugging his knees tightly.

His cell phone sat next to him, still ringing. I shook myself out of my initial shock at seeing this once vibrant, happy boy a former shell of that. I could almost see the aura of foreboding emanating from his form. He didn’t even look up as I stood in front of him. I picked up his phone and sat next to him. I wanted to hug him to me, to put my arm around him… something! But I held back, afraid he’d bolt at my first contact with him. “Mason…” I barely whispered. He slowly turned his head towards me and I saw the totally blank look in his eyes – it scared me to my core. The spark I saw when I watched him paint me the other day was completely gone, absent. But slowly, as recognition set in, some of the spark came back.

Before I knew it, he leapt at me and buried his face into my shoulder, wrapping his arms around me tightly and began sobbing uncontrollably. I slid my arms around him and dared anyone to come between us, almost squeezing the stuffing out of this poor, sad teen. He just cried and cried and I felt like he just wouldn’t stop. I just rubbed my hands up and down his back, trying to console him as I whispered into his ear a couple of times.

Eventually, the crying subsided and he slowly slid from my arms. Without a word, I stood up and helped him to his feet. He took it and I wrapped my arm protectively around his waist as I felt him stumble a bit upon standing. I helped him into the back seat; Conner didn’t say anything but he caught my eye. He just nodded once, saying everything with that single gesture. I smiled weakly at him and I climbed into the back seat and sat next to Mason.

“Are you okay?” I whispered to him. We locked eyes – his were puffy and red from the waterworks that erupted only minutes ago. Weakly, but sadly, he barely nodded his head. I took it that he only meant for the moment – I’d be ready to swoop in and help him again if he needed. The rest of the drive to our house was quiet. I just sat next to Mason, glancing at him occasionally. At one point, he put his hand on top of mine and I looked over at him. He didn’t turn to me, but I could see him fading again, back into that abyss from which I first rescued him.

We pulled into the garage. Conner stepped out and glided into the kitchen – I already knew what he was doing. I stood up and I felt Mason grip my hand tighter.

“It’s okay Mason – we’re at my house now. You’re safe here. Trust me.” I spoke calmly, almost motherly. Slowly he turned his head to me again; I saw the spark slowly returning.

“X-Xander… I-I’m scared…”

“I’m right with you, Mason. I’m not going anywhere. I’ll be right here. I’m just getting out of the car. Come with me?” I reached over and unbuckled his seat belt. Cautiously he rose, still holding my hand. As soon as his feet hit the ground, his arms snaked around my left arm, clutching it to his chest tightly. Something is really bothering him… this isn’t a normal reaction in the slightest. My only question to myself rose to mind: will I be able to help him through this crisis?

Conner noticed Mason’s attachment to me immediately upon us entering the house. He said nothing as he continued with his brotherly duties. Carefully, I guided Mason to a bar stool and helped him into it. I took the one next to him. The sounds of a stool scraping against the tile echoed around us as Mason scooted closer towards me and almost leaned into me. If I wasn’t terrified for his well-being, I would've probably started blushing.

“Mason, can I introduce you to someone?” I turned to him. He looked scared, like a frightened five year-old. But he nodded. “Mason, this is my brother Conner. He’s the one that picked you up. He’s really cool – I trust him with my life. Can he stick around and hear what you have to say?” His eyes darted between me and Conner rapidly. Finally, he locked onto Conner’s face before he slowly nodded. Conner sat a cup of hot chocolate in front of the boy.

“Take a sip, Mason. Maybe it’ll help calm you down.”

He looked down at the mug. Slowly, he took the cup in his free hand but stopped for a second. Reluctantly, he leaned away from me and used both hands on the cup – it must be too hot for one hand. He took a sip with his eyes closed. He set the cup back down and wiped the whipped cream mustache off his upper lip.

“That’s really good,” he said. Conner always made me hot cocoa when I was about as upset as Mason is right now. When I was so afraid about wanting to come out to Jared back in Ohio, Conner knew I was a wreck. He sat me down and did this exact same thing for me. Cocoa always calmed my nerves. Or maybe it’s just the company and the compassion in offering the drink that soothes spirits. Either way, I noticed the boy wasn’t trembling as much as he was. I gently rest my hand on his back.

“Can you tell me why I found you behind the gas station, Mason?” I asked. Conner just leaned against the counter – he realized this was my show. Mason for some reason was comfortable with me.

“I-I was scared.”

“Scared of what?” I gently pressed.

“I-I’m always scared.”

“Why? What has you so scared all the time?”

He froze. He started trembling again and I stood up and wrapped my arms around his back and starting caressing his chest, hoping to calm him down. It seemed to be working. I felt him soften under my arms.

“I-I’m scared f-for my little brother.”

I saw Conner step back like he was punched. He further fell into his protective persona before he leaned back against the counter again. Me being Conner’s little brother helped him relate to Mason a bit more.

“Why?” Conner asked. “Is he in danger?”

The back of Mason’s head moved as he turned to face Conner. “I… I-I don’t know. Richie… he’s a really good kid for an eleven year old. But he seems… different a-all of a sudden.” Mason whispered quiet enough intending for neither of us to hear, but with how I was wrapped around the boy I heard him say, “I hope he’s not hurting him. I’ll kill him if he’s hurting Richie like he hurts me…”

I stiffened at this tidbit. “Who’s hurting you Mason?” I spoke up. Conner almost dropped his own cocoa mug. This time I felt Mason stiffen up.

“Y-Y-You h-heard me?” he asked as he turned to face me. I took his hands into mine

“I’m sorry, I did. But I can’t unhear it, Mason. Tell us – who’s hurting you and possibly Richie? We want to help you, we really do.”

“Is it your Dad, Mason?” Conner asked. “Or maybe an older brother, an uncle…?”

“It’s Eddie.” Mason’s face twisted as he almost spat the name. The fear was being replaced by anger.

“Who’s Eddie?” I asked slowly.

“Our step-father.” He stared hard at me as more tears streamed down his face. “He’s the only family Richie and I have left. Our mom disappeared about four months ago. We haven’t seen or heard from her since.” He gripped my hands tighter. “Xander, I know she wouldn’t leave us with him like this unless there was a reason! B-But no one ever listens to me anymore! Everyone thinks I’m just the sad, depressed kid at school that tries to be popular by running for Student Council!” He turned away in anguish. “No one fucking cares about me.”

“I care about you,” I said as I squeezed his hands back. “More than that, maybe.”

His face turned back to me as I watched it soften as he pulled me in for another hug. He whispered in my ear, “No one… has said that since Mom disappeared. Y-You really mean it?” He sounded scared, but it was more from vulnerability than from anything else. He also sounded… almost hopeful.

“Mason,” I started, struggling to keep my emotions in check. “I hope I won’t scare you away when I say this but… I think I love you.” He slowly released me and stared into my eyes again. I could tell his mind churned my confession over a few times. “I think I started falling for you the moment we saw each other in the cafeteria. Then you sit next to me in Art and we get paired up for a couple of projects. The more I’m around you, the more I want to get to know you.” His face steeled into determination – this was it. I expected him to turn and walk out of the house. Or start out with a few choice insults.

Instead he kissed me right on the lips.

I was too shocked to understand what was going on in the first few seconds, but as he pressed his lips into mine, I felt their velvety texture caressing me and I melted into the moment. His hands wrapped themselves into my hair as he held me closer to him, not letting me go. I started to return the kiss finally and he moaned a little. Slowly, hesitantly, Mason slid away from my face, breathing heavily. I backed away, my eyes closed as I savored the feelings brought on by my first kiss.

When I opened my eyes, I noticed Conner was a bit shocked, but ultimately happy for me. I could see the “that’s my brother!” look washing over his face. My focus found Mason’s attached to each other. I saw light in his eyes, the same light washing all over him. Accompanying it all was a blush and a coy smile on his face. I smiled back. We were still holding hands.

“So…” I began. “That… was a really good first kiss for me.” I sighed.

“Mine too,” Mason said as his blush deepened.

My mind went back to the problem at hand. “Is your brother in immediate danger?”

Mason actually looked relieved. “Right now… no. Eddie yelled at me, wondering where I was off to and we fought for a few minutes.” The extended silence on the phone, no doubt. “I ducked behind a house on my way to the gas station as I heard his car peel out of our driveway. I think he was looking for me.”

“Okay,” I sighed, a bit relieved that his younger brother was okay for the moment.

“Why don’t you two go work on that project of yours for a while? We can come back to this later,” Conner suggested. “I think we should take a little time to regroup and pick this up when Dad gets home – he'll have a plan of action. Mason, how about you head upstairs for a second and get started. I need to talk to Xander here for just a second. Turn left at the top of the stairs – his room is at the end of the hall.”

“Okay,” he sighed. His hands slowly slipped from mine as he backed away. He finally turned and headed for the stairs.

“Alright, since Dad isn’t here, I’m obligated to make sure you think with this,” he said and poked my head, “and not that,” he moved the finger from my head and pointed southward. “You only get one first time – make sure it’s with the right boy.”

“Thanks Connie,” I mused as I folded my arms across my chest. “That’s very good sisterly advice.”

He punched my arm. “I’m being serious, Xan,” he said with a laugh. “I know you can’t get each other pregnant, but still… be careful.” He made me look at him. “Jeanne and I never did anything, but we were close to. Just keep that in mind.”

“Conner,” I said, stopping him from leaving the room. He turned to me and waited. “I may need to ask for your help again later. If I can, I’m going to see if his brother is really okay… see what his situation is.” I struggled for a moment, trying to figure out what I wanted from Conner. “If… if I text you Mason’s address, will you and Dad check things out? Or get the police involved if it’s really warranted? I don’t want Mason to worry or hurt anymore…”

Conner covered the distance between us and hugged me tightly. “If you think Mason means this much to you, I’d drop a meeting with the President of the United States to help you out. You know that.” I felt him kiss the top of my head.

“I know… it’s just good to hear it again once in a while. Helps to reassure me.” He ruffled my hair and he stepped into the living room. As I headed towards the steps, Dad came in. “Dad! You’re back!” I wrapped my arms around him.

“Why hello Xander,” Dad said as he too ruffled my hair.

Before he could say anything, I stopped him by saying, “Can you go talk with Conner right now? We had a small situation with my friend Mason a bit ago. We might need your help with something. Conner can fill you in – I have to go make sure Mason is okay.” Dad looked at me with a bit of concern in his eyes, but he nodded and walked around me. I bolted up the stairs and saw Mason leave our office.

“About time,” he giggled. “I was thinking you forgot about me. I was checking out your office setup a bit.”

“I can’t ever forget about you,” I giggled back. “To be honest, you’ve been on my mind a lot since I met you.”

“All good I hope?” he smiled.

“Depends on your definition of ‘good’,” I playfully served back to him. He just laughed and shook his head, his gel-less blond strands danced about from the motion. I sighed out loud as I found it cute. Mason just giggled.

“Alright, where’s your camera? I’d like to see it before we take any shots. Do you have lenses?” I nodded. “Good, let’s get all that stuff together and figure out what we want to shoot.” I motioned for him to follow me and I headed towards my room. As we entered, he whistled. “Man, this is a pretty big room. This is your room?” Again, I nodded. “Why didn’t your brother get it?”

“He reasoned that he’s only got two more years here before he’s off to college – I have four. So I’d get more use out of it than he would, I guess.”

“Makes sense.” I dug around and found my camera and lenses. I turned around and placed both in his hands. He examined the camera itself and the lenses and smiled as he said, “This is a pretty good camera. How’d you get this one?”

“Dad bought it for me for a birthday last year I think,” I said as I tried to recall. “Maybe Christmas. Anyway, he got me the camera and my grandparents got me the lenses to go with it. I’ve been using some kind of camera since I was about five or so – never went anywhere without one. I asked Dad if I could build a darkroom if I want to use an actual film camera. He might let me.”

“Cool! You’ll let me see it once it’s done, right?”

“If it gets built, sure.” I placed my hand on his shoulder. “Alright, let’s go shoot some objects.”

 


 

We spent about two hours taking pictures of each other, the surrounding woods, some of the neighboring houses, some piles of leaves beginning to collect already – just random stuff. Mason suggested to just taking any and all photos and we could work out a theme later. I agreed. My friend – I so wish I could say boyfriend – seemed happier and livelier as the time passed. That made me happy, but I also recalled the bit about his brother. I hated to bring him back down again, but it needed mentioning if something was really wrong, how much time Richie had to be safe. This Eddie most likely had to have given up by now and went back… right?

As we got closer to the house, I saw Dad poke his head out the back door. He didn’t say anything, but I felt he wanted to discuss a few things as well. I slowed down and grabbed Mason’s wrist.

“Hey, before we go back in,” I started. “I need to introduce you to my father. He’s really nice, just like Conner and me.” Mason seemed to lose his smile a bit but he nodded. I tugged on his arm and we resumed towards the house. Dad changed his neutral frown into a pleasant smile before Mason noticed. “Mason, this here is my father, Dirk. Dad, this is Mason.”

“Nice to meet you, son,” Dad said as he stuck his hand out. Mason reluctantly took it. As soon as their hands gripped each other, Mason’s eyes grew wide. Dad picked up on this and slowly extricated his hand from the frightened teen’s. Dad eyed me and I shrugged. “Boys, let’s step inside. Time for dinner.” Dad stepped in and headed into the kitchen. As soon as he lost sight of him, Mason visibly relaxed.

“X-Xander, I’m sorry,” Mason said dejectedly. “It’s–”

“No, I think I understand. It’s okay, but you need to be able to trust my dad. He can help you and Richie if you both need it. I’d say more, but it’s probably best if my dad explains. I’ll be with you the whole time – I’m not going anywhere.”

“O-Okay… if you say so, Xander,” Mason replied hesitantly. Quickly, Mason grabbed my hand. I tried to step inside, but Mason held firm. I jerked back and he used this to pull me to him, landing a quick kiss on my lips. He held it for a few seconds before he released me from the tender, but fear-filled embrace. “Sorry, I just needed… you… to calm me.”

I smiled, blushing a little. “We can do that all you want if it helps you to calm down. Now come on before Dad thinks I’m trying to shag you out here in the back yard.”

“You’d like to, wouldn’t you?” Mason giggled as we entered the house.

“That really isn’t my thing,” I shrugged. I leaned in and whispered, “I don’t need any mosquito bites on my dick, thanks.” He laughed pretty hard at that and I felt his hand relax just a bit along with the rest of his body. We stepped into the kitchen and grabbed some drinks when Dad indicated we should go into the living room. We followed him there and I felt Mason tense a bit again.

“Alright, son,” Dad started as we sat down. Conner was here too – in a recliner. Mason and I sat next to each other on the loveseat. Dad pulled Mom’s rocking chair over and sat in front of us. “Before anything gets said, I need to be up front with what I do and did. I was in the Navy for nearly twenty years before I retired and moved on. What I did in the Navy before I was assigned being XO on a ship helped lead me to being the assistant director for the DCF of this state. So before we go any further, I’d like to record what you have to say in regards to your step-father and brother. Is that okay?” Dad was recording this part as to show proof of consent. He really just wanted to record the dialogue for his own sanity later when it came time for reports.

“Y-Yeah, okay,” Mason replied timidly. His eyes were looking down at his hand that held mine before he looked up and stared into my eyes. I gave his hand a squeeze while flashing a reassuring smile.

“Alright then. Moving on, can you repeat for me what you told my sons earlier?” Mason did, briefly summarizing what he told us a few hours ago. “Would you happen to know why your mom would… run away?”

“N-No, sir,” Mason sniffled. “S-She loves both of us.”

“Then could this Eddie have done something to her?”

Mason’s face lit up with anger. “WHAT?! If he even touched her, so help–”

“Mason, please… don’t finish that thought,” Dad said. “By your reaction, I’d be safe to guess that he could have done something. How has he hurt you, Mason?”

Mason tearfully recalled the first day he met Eddie, just a week after his tenth birthday. At first Eddie seemed like an okay guy when his mom introduced the two. But as more time went by, he became crueler when he struck Mason almost four months later for the first time. It only escalated from there. Beatings, name calling, threats, the whole works. Mason even thinks he started abusing his mother, leaving Richie as the sole survivor from this string of abuse as long as Mason promised to take whatever punishment his brother was supposed to get. So that stuff only happened to him.

Mason almost lost it when somewhat recently – about a year ago, maybe longer – Eddie started locking Richie up in a dog cage almost nude, if not totally naked, for no reason. If Mason went to help Richie or even talk to his younger sibling, Eddie became irate at the both of them. Mason would get beat; Richie would just get summarily ignored for everything. No food, barely any water, no conversations. Mason felt so bad for his younger brother and the fact that he felt he couldn’t really do anything to help him he started becoming more and more withdrawn. He even blurted out that he almost didn’t run for Student Council for fear that if he spent too much time away from the house, Richie would get beaten, humiliated, or worse before being locked away in his prison barely big enough to hold him. At some points during this telling, Mason buried his face in my neck and just sobbed, unable to say anything for a few minutes before he could continue.

I just felt numb and shocked. How can a person be so cruel to lock another human being in a dog cage and basically ignore them?! Mason, after he calmed down again, had that question asked of him by Dad. My friend responded it most likely had to deal with Richie being a bit overweight. Eddie had a huge pet peeve about seeing obese people – he’d scream at them for being lazy sacks of crap and to go eat a cow for breakfast; anything he could think of to call attention to the fat beast at the frozen food aisle or register. So in Eddie’s sick and twisted world, he was doing Richie a “favor” by not letting him eat anything. Mason said that his brother was probably twenty or so pounds overweight before and now he started to worry it was going too far – Mason could see beginnings of his brother’s ribs protruding from his chest, no longer overweight in the slightest.

“Boys, stay with Mason. I need to make a phone call right now,” Dad said. I haven’t heard the tone he used since the days of… Mom. I glanced over at Conner – he thought the same thing.

I glanced at Mason – he seemed to be within his shell. I tried to verbally coax him out, but it didn’t seem to work. So I improvised – I kissed him again. At first, nothing happened, but eventually he started to respond to the work my lips performed on his and I felt his passion as he finally returned my kiss. The passion faded quickly and tenderness with a hint of fear replaced it. Mason looked me in the eyes and for the first time, besides the fear and uncertainty, I think I saw his love for me pour out.

“Xander…” he sighed. Slowly, he turned away, unsure of what to say. I noticed Conner distracting himself with his phone, trying not to pry. Mason finally turned back to me and got my attention by placing my face in his hands, his thumbs gently rubbing my cheeks. “I… I don’t think I could cover adequately how I really feel at this moment…at least about you.” My heart chilled a little bit for fear of what he might say. I think he saw my reaction and said with a smile, “Don’t worry, all the feelings I have for you are all good. It’s just… what happens next?”

I sighed, relieved. “Whatever you want to happen, Mason. I’m not trying to pressure you – I’m just trying to help you through this situation.”

“That’s just it, Xan,” Mason continued, moving his hands from my face and into mine. “You don’t have to be helping me at all, but you are.” He stopped, looking away again. “Earlier… you told me you think you love me. And before, you asked me if I was gay and I said it’s complicated. I think it’s time I uncomplicate things.”

“What do you mean, Mace?”

“What I mean… is that by saying ‘it’s complicated’ was my defense for not having to say… yes. When you asked me the other day, I wasn’t prepared to find out that you’re gay, Xan. I just was taken aback. I never would’ve guessed you were. And then you surprised me in your kitchen with your revelation. It took me by surprise, well, because what you said about seeing each other for the first time is what I felt for you too. Xander… I think I’m in love with you too.”

I sat there, shocked. Mason felt the same way about me? That we both think we love each other? It… it’s just not possible… is it? Can this really be happening? Damn it, screw analyzing it, Xander! Just do something but stare at him with your mouth agape! I leaned in and kissed him again, my love for this boy filling me to full and beyond. I felt his love for me returned in the sealing of our lips. I felt light-headed and dizzy both from the emotions being passed between us and the growing lack of oxygen my body refused to accommodate. Reluctantly, both of pulled away from one another, breathing a bit heavily.

“That was one heavy make out session guys,” Conner giggled from his chair. Suddenly, I felt embarrassed that he witnessed that and I immediately became florid. That just made Conner laugh at me more. “You guys still have your lips and all intact?”

“You just be quiet,” Mason giggled back at Conner, his own blush forming. “Stop making fun of my boyfriend.” My blush faded instantly and I felt moisture at the corners of my eyes. For the first time, somebody called me their boyfriend. That one word carried a huge weight away, one I didn’t realize I had. I felt buoyant.

Conner was kneeling next to us before I knew it. He took one of my hands away from Mason’s and even took one of Mason’s. “Guys, I’m really happy for you. Both of you. You look good together, really. Now Mason, if you hurt my brother in any way… I’ll kick your ass from here to Doomsday, understand? Just like you’re protective of Richie, I’m protective of Xander.”

“I understand Conner,” Mason sighed. “And I won’t intentionally break Xander’s heart.”

“Boys, we need to go, now.

Dad’s voice broke us out of our moment. Three heads turned towards him. “What’s up Dad?” Conner asked.

“No time… I’ll explain in the car. Let’s go!”

Copyright © 2011 Yanks13; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..