Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,730 Words
  • 1,390 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Ed Greeenwood and Wizards of the Coast /  Hasbro <br>

A Familiar Story - 1. Candlekeep

“Those who would destroy knowledge with ink, fire, or sword will be destroyed in turn.” -The Rule of Candlekeep

 

I remember the first time I laid my eyes on you. A young boy of 10, golden hair and orange eyes, just starting to learn your first spell, to identify magic items. It was so difficult for you, wrapping your mind around the complexities of magic. It endeared you to me, watching you struggle. You would not give up. Unbeknownst to you, I slipped into the room where you studied, lending you my magic to aid you in casting this spell. Your foster father Gorion had paid the best money to secure the house against magical ingress, yet it was child’s play for me to get through the weaves of shielding.

The spell left you exhausted, but you were so happy to have cast it, to know you had the ability to use magic. I slipped out in your exhaustion; you had no idea I was there.

Over the next few years, I remained near you, watching over you. And when it came time for you to summon your familiar, I was there. The summon was weak, yet I let it latch onto me, and your father was so proud. A fairy dragon is not an easy familiar to summon. Yet I bound myself to you, and you to me, for better or for worse.

With my aid, your studies progressed. I taught you a mage’s life does not merely need to be books and reading. Your health increased as I encouraged you to chase me through the streets, a naughty familiar you couldn’t always control.

I protected you too. In your thirteenth year when a thief made to pick your pockets, I ensured he never got a single coin. You did not notice a thing, yet I did. You were my friend, and a dragon’s friends are the safest people in all of Faerun.

Until suddenly you weren’t.

 

“Aerin!”

The half-elf jumped at his father’s voice, the stack of tomes in his arms tumbling to the floor. Gaius, his familiar, let out an amused snort, gliding across the room to land on one of the fallen books. The dragon’s scales gleamed iridescent blue in the magical torchlight that filled the room

“Shit. I’m sorry Father,” Aerin said, stooping to gather the books.

“Leave them. Someone else will get them.”

Aerin stared at the old human in shock. Gorion was one of the most strict when it came to the tomes in the keep’s library.

“Have you completed your studying for the day?”

“Yes Father, as soon as I woke as usual.”

“Good. You will need your spells today. We need to leave Candlekeep.”

“Leave Candlekeep? But why Father?”

“No questions. I will explain more when I can.”

The old sage pressed a small bag of gold into Aerin’s hands.

“Buy what you need and save the rest for later. This will be a long journey, of that I am certain. I will meet you on the steps to the central library. Make haste child, I wish to be gone from here as soon as possible.”

Gorion left the room, and Aerin set about collecting the books that had fallen. Even if they were in a hurry, he would not leave such valuable knowledge on the floor.

“What do you think is going on Gaius?” Aerin asked as he set the books on a table.

“Whatever it is, it must be trouble. I have never seen Gorion so disturbed,” the fairy dragon said, climbing up Aerin’s back to sit on the half-elf’s shoulder.

Aerin winced at the claws digging into his back.

“Why can’t you just fly to my shoulder?” he muttered, walking toward the door.

“Climbing is more fun,” the dragon purred. “Now hurry. You know how impatient Gorion can be.”

Grabbing his quarterstaff, Aerin hurried out of the library, making his way toward the inn. Old Winthrop should have a few things he could trade.

On the way to the inn, Aerin spotted a book sitting in a pile of hay. He frowned, changing direction to collect the book. He recognised the tome, a copy of the history of Halruaa, loaned to Phlydia from the library by himself.

“I’m glad to see your memory is holding strong,” Gaius said. “Do you remember Gorion is waiting for us? We can’t be running errands for everyone in Candlekeep.”

“Yes, but I should return this book. I don’t want it to be ruined. Besides, this gold bag is rather light. We could use some more gold.”

Gaius let out a quiet grumble.

“Alright, but be quick about it.”

“Be quick about it… Look, I can see her just down the street. We’ll just hand it to her and be off,” Aerin said.

They approached the human, Aerin holding out the book for her.

“Oh! My book! I am so glad you found it,” Phlydia exclaimed, taking the book.

“Try not to lose it again,” Aerin smiled.

“I won’t. I think Gorion was looking for you earlier. He should be near the central library.”

“Thank you Phlydia,” Aerin said, turning to walk toward the inn once more.

He reached the large building without trouble, Gaius circling his head lazily as the half-elf walked through the entrance.

“Ho Aerin! Come to charm us with your presence?” Winthrop grinned.

Aerin grinned back at him as he approached the tubby man.

“Good day Winthrop. I am in need of some supplies.”

“I’m afraid I don’t have any of your scented candles or parchments.”

“No, I believe Gorion wishes to take me on a field trip, though I do not know for how long,” the half-elf explained.

“Oh, in that case, we’ll need to outfit you like a proper adventurer. A bag, a bundle of food, enough for three days of travel, and a waterskin,” Winthrop offered, setting the items on the counter as he listed them.

“I don’t suppose you have a sling. It would make hunting easier,” Aerin suggested.

“Of course.”

A sling was added to the supplies, a bundle of lead bullets placed beside it.

“Forty bullets,” Winthrop said. “If you need more, you won’t need any. All of this will be thirty gold.”

Aerin paid the man, piling the supplies into the bag. He slung it over his shoulder, Gaius landing on the back. The dragon squeezed into the bag, folding himself to enjoy the ride.

“Thank you Winthrop,” Aerin smiled.

“You are welcome anytime. You stay safe out there.”

 

Aerin left the inn behind him, Gaius sticking his head out of the pack on the half-elf’s back. He decided to take the long way around the keep to the library. Something told him they would not see the keep again for a long while.

Passing the barracks for the city guard, Aerin frowned as he heard something fall in the nearby storehouse. He approached the building, sticking his head through the door to offer his aid.

“Hello?” he called.

“Can I get some help here?” a voice called.

Stepping into the building, Aerin let the door close behind him. His elven senses kicked in, allowing him better sight in the dim lighting.

He found a man lying under a large box and he hurried to help him up, Gaius launching himself from the bag on Aerin’s shoulders. The mage was distracted by the emotions coming from his familiar. Gaius did not like this man.

Using his staff as a lever, Aerin was able to lift the fallen box, allowing the man to slide out from underneath

“Thank you sir,” the man gasped, favouring his left leg as he stood. “You look familiar. Are you Gorion’s ward by any chance?”

Aerin hesitated, Gaius’ actions telling him to be cautious.

“No, but I know of him,” he said. “Why?”

“That’s funny. You look just like the description of him I was given. I can’t take any chances. Thanks for your help.”

Aerin saw the dagger in the dark, dodging out of the way quickly. He gripped his staff tightly, swinging at the man’s hand.

With a loud crack, the hand broke, the dagger tumbling to the ground as the assassin cried out.

Aerin backed away uncertainly, Gaius diving down on the fallen man with a loud cry.

“Gaius! No!”

The familiar averted his assault, landing on the fallen crate.

“He tried to kill you,” the dragon snarled.

“If we do the same, we are no better than him,” Aerin said.

The door crashed open suddenly, a guard hurrying inside with his sword out.

“What’s going on in here?!”

“Fuller?” Aerin let out a sigh of relief. “This man, he attacked me. I don’t know why.”

“I will deal with him Aerin. You need to get to Gorion. He’ll protect you.”

The man put a comforting hand on Aerin’s shoulder.

“Times are changing. The guard will offer you support. You’re a good person, even if you don’t follow the law all the time.”

Aerin’s breath caught in his throat, his emotions running high after the encounter with the bandit.

“Thank you,” he said quietly.

“Now go.”

 

Aerin hurried up the library steps, narrowly avoiding Imoen in the court. He was not a fan of the human, finding her downright annoying at times, though they did get along well enough.

Gorion stood at the top of the steps, a bag on his back and a staff in his hand.

“Are you ready to depart?” he asked sharply.

“Yes, Father. Where are we going?”

“That I cannot answer, for I have not decided myself. But know this: should we be separated on the road, make for the Friendly Arm Inn at all haste. There are friends of mine there who should help you.”

Gorion led his charge through the city walls, nodding to one of the guards amicably. For a moment Aerin let himself believe all that was happening was Gorion taking him to practice a dangerous spell away from the city. But his heart knew otherwise. They were on the run, from what, Aerin did not know. But if Gorion was this worried, whatever they were running from must be truly dangerous.

 

How little we knew then. If Gorion had been more open with us, perhaps we could have aided him, changed what happened. But we did not know.

Copyright © 1977-2022 Ed Greenwood, Wizards of the Coast; All Rights Reserved; Copyright © 2019 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Ed Greeenwood and Wizards of the Coast /  Hasbro <br>
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow. That was way cool. You have to continue now. You can't take us so far then leave us hanging. No, no, no. Won't do at all.

Come on now, we have an adventure to partake in. Time's a wastin'. Next chapter please. :2thumbs:

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..