Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 790 Words
  • 313 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Owlcat Games, Deepsilver and Pazio <br>

Musings of a Future Baron - 14. The Technic League

Oathday 6 Desnus 4710

 

Theofrid introduced me to an interesting theory on jewelled rice tonight. He helped me cook the recipe, mentioning that it had been one of Jaethal’s favourite meals for its tendency to leave the eater feeling lighter. Supposedly it was how Tartuccio was able to travel so much faster than us. Already the gnome is proving invaluable. I will need to make sure we stock up on ingredients when I get a chance.

We walked near straight west, in search of the Thorn River. Tomorrow we will cut south through the Narlmarches until we reach the river proper, then follow it south to the Tuskwater. The Stag Lord’s fort is supposed to be near the Thorn River’s arrival to the Tuskwater.

Tristian and Theofrid seem to be growing closer. Tristian speaks of Sarenrae, and redemption, Theofrid hanging onto his every word. I don’t know why the gnome is suddenly interested in redemption. He has done nothing wrong, as far as I know. I will have to ask him about it tomorrow.

 

Fireday 7 Desnus 4710

 

We lost Theofrid today. Thankfully, he still lives, but he spends the night as a slave of something called the Technic League.

It was an ambush, there was nothing we could do. Fifteen people against six, it would have been suicidal to fight back. It was Theofrid’s idea to go with them, pointing out that it wouldn’t be much worse than being stuck in a kobold prison. The leader of the slavers wanted to replace their “merchandise” who had died on the road, and when Theofrid demonstrated magical talent, they leapt at his offer. I had to let him go; I couldn’t let everyone else die for one person.

But mark my words, I will slaughter every one of those slavers. They have no place in my lands.

We let them go, waiting an hour before following their trail. It was difficult; they seemed to use magic to move, teleporting from place to place, but we ran into a couple of mushroom gatherers who had seen our quarry, and they pointed us toward the camp. Tomorrow we will take their camp by force. I have a plan.

 

Starday 8 Desnus 4710

 

He’s alive. And we made two new friends today.

Funny thing about mages, they don’t have a lot of fight in them three hours before dawn. This Kalannah… she was all bark and no bite, and her goons were easy pickings. But I was still cautious, sending Amiri and Tristian around the back of their camp as Valerie, Linzi, and I went through the main approach. With a spell of silence from Tristian, a song of courage from Linzi, and a few well placed icy arrows from myself, we ended the threat of the mages quickly, their bodyguards falling just as fast to Amiri and Valerie.

Kalannah begged for mercy. But while Shelyn teaches mercy for the repentant, I could see no remorse in Kalannah. And truth be told, she pissed me off. I am not exactly proud of my actions, but I take responsibility for the arrow that pins her to her tent.

Regongar, the half orc magus who we rescued from Kalannah’s clutches, seemed rather pleased with my decision, though he expressed a quiet dissatisfaction that he hadn’t killed her himself. His companion, Octavia, wasn’t as happy about her death, but she was ecstatic to finally be free. And Theofrid… truth be told, I think he expected us to leave him for dead. It’s what Tartuccio would have done; hells, it’s what Tartuccio did do.

But I do not let my allies fall. I gave him back his spellbook- again- and reminded him that he was a part of our team. I would not leave him behind.

Octavia and Regongar expressed an interest in joining me, and I sent them to Oleg’s to help defend the post. Keston is a good man, and I know his men will give their lives to protect the post from bandits, but having a couple of mages there definitely makes me feel better. But I will definitely think of how to put Regongar and Octavia to good use in my new barony.

Once I finally defeat the Stag Lord.

 

Desnus 8 4710

 

First time as a slave, can cross that off my list of things to try. I can’t believe they came after me. I’m sure Tristian had something to do with that. He is exceedingly kind to me. He keeps saying I have nothing to feel guilty for regarding Tartuccio, so why do I still feel this nagging sensation? Sarenrae guide me to your redemption, for I don’t know what I must do.

© 2020 Owlcat Games, Deepsilver and Pazio; All Rights Reserved; Copyright © 2021 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Owlcat Games, Deepsilver and Pazio <br>
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..