Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 882 Words
  • 1,702 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Owlcat Games, Deepsilver and Pazio <br>

Musings of a Future Baron - 1. A Beginning

Wealday 14 Gozran 4710

 

So begins a new chapter in the life of Cassiel. A new chapter, a new adventure, and a new party of characters to get used to.

We have already been given our task by the Swordlord Jamandi Aldori, and what a task it is. Nothing less than the total supplication of one Stag Lord, and the lands he controls with an iron fist. The reward is suitably immense, one barony courtesy of Lady Jamandi herself. Though several of the adventurers have already started arguing about who exactly will get the coronet.

It’s going to be fun, I can already tell. I just hope my spellbook doesn’t get too wet.

I’m not even the only spell user among us. Of note are a bard and two gnomes of remarkably similar abilities. Tartuccio seems rather conceited and prickly. I hate to throw accusations at people before I know them, but by the gods, at least give me a chance to know you before biting my head off. He actually accused me of being a beast of burden today. I thought the one barbarian was going to gut him like a pig.

The other gnome, one Theofrid Jusp, as he introduced himself, seems rather friendly, though I fear he’s more like to burn us with his fire than the enemy. He assured me he has his magic under complete control… right before having to race for a bucket of water as a flame played through his blue hair.

And Linzi… well, it appears I will have a rival in this journey. Not that it’s bad. We get along famously, truth be told. But she showed me a book she’s planning to write about us… well, actually, she said it’s about me. I’m not sure how to feel about that. Not only am I already chronicling this adventure as a member of the Society, there’s something a bit weird about coming up to a strange half-human and telling them you want them to be the hero in your book. I tried to pass her off to the barbarian, Amiri. She’s a bit rough, but by the gods, there’s someone legends are written about. The bard proceeded to admit fear of Amiri. How are you supposed to travel with someone if you are afraid of them?

Though I must admit I have some trepidation about Amiri myself. I mean, her sword is literally the size of her body. How in the Nine Hells is she supposed to use that thing? I am suddenly immensely grateful to be a spellslinger. Let me have my bow and sit in the back to support my party. That’s all I need in life.

There is one other person I’ve kept my eye on through the evening, a man by the name of Keston Garess. He says he’s the captain of Lady Jamandi’s guard. I’m wondering if he could be trusted to guard my bed tonight? Perhaps I should ask.

In any case, we leave tomorrow morn, hopefully at dawn. There is a good ninety miles between us and the Stolen Lands. Months of camping through rain and stars awaits us, with a baron’s coronet promised at the end. With luck, we will all make it through, though what would a good story be without death? Perhaps Tartuccio’s?

I jest, of course. To lose any member of a party would be painful, no matter how belligerent he may be.

Until the morrow.


 

Gozran 14 4710

Cheat sheet

Linzi- halfling, writer, Shelyn

Cassiel- half elf? Archer, mage

Harrem? Harrim?- priest, Groetus,

Jaethal- elf, scythe

Tartuccio- gnome, purple hair

Amiri- Big scary human

Almost forgot the date again. Can’t forget that. Four hundred years of writing it down, you’d think I’d remember by now. No matter.

Got to remember: fire spread 30feet by 10? 15? Double check in the morning. AWAY FROM MANSION. Swordlord wouldn’t appreciate burnt tapestries.

I need to restore my water supply. Almost burned my hair off tonight. Perhaps the half-elf can get this spell to work for me. Or get me. Both? Both is good...

Heading to the Stolen Lands tomorrow. Shouldn’t take more than two days on horseback. Don’t know details, will have to find out from Tartuccio. Gnomes gotta stick together in these strange lands. Not sure he needs the crown though; he’s uppity enough. Still, a better leader for now, until we find someone else. The Kellid wouldn’t work, she’s too angry. And the dwarf… Harrum? Harrim? Too depressed. Half tempted to set him on fire just to lighten him up a bit. Sarenrae grant me your flame to brighten those around me.

Jaethal vampire? Probably, she seems to rub me that way. Gotta include a little more garlic in my meals just to be safe. And Kaesse… Fiery girl, demon spawn. I like her, she seems to know how to party hard. Quadiran? Yeah, definitely Quadiran. I swear sparks fly around her more than they do around me. I have to step up my game around her.

Almost burned another page in my spellbook this morning. I need to watch the fire when I’m copying scrolls. Not going to happen often on the road, but a gnome can dream.

Early day tomorrow, better catch sleep while I can.

© 2020 Owlcat Games, Deepsilver and Pazio; All Rights Reserved; Copyright © 2021 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Owlcat Games, Deepsilver and Pazio <br>
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

9 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Isn't the title a spoiler?

Sort of. For those familiar with the Kingmaker adventure/game, it's already known that running a kingdom is the whole idea. For those who don't know, it becomes pretty obvious within a chapter or two. Besides, everyone knows that a barony is the reward for the adventure.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

While not a fan of this sort of role playing game, it would appear to be an interesting tale! Looking forward to more.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I am not familiar with ANY role playing game, so this story is going to be an adventure for me, new characters, new names, new personalities, but most of all, new goals. The best way to start is to START, so I will do that.

Mister Will

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..