Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,519 Words
  • 1,380 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Elf's Hunt - 17. Magic

For once the Adventurers Guild was nearly empty. Hope stood before the quest board, taking in the numerous problems people around the town were facing. Anything from another request to find a ring, to a tribe of gnolls encroaching on the town. There was even a post asking for workers to help with a tavern that was going up a couple hours out of Cadara.

The tiefling shook his head with a sigh. The only job that seemed to pay somewhat well was a hunt for a werewolf that had been seen near the Whispering Mermaid tavern. What a werewolf was doing in the middle of a busy city was beyond him. It seemed more like a job Elluin would take on. He certainly couldn't hunt down a beast like that.

"He's already looking for the wolf, isn't he?" the tiefling muttered. "Well fine then. I guess there's nothing for me here."

He turned on his heel, stepping around a rowdy group of adventurers who were arguing about the gnolls and the werewolf. Leaving the guildhall, the tiefling tried to recall the way to the Mages Guild. Had he been there before?

"Better check your notes," he snorted at the sky. "The ruler of the world can't even remember basic locations. Allow me to help. I have not been to the Guild yet."

He wasn't sure what he was doing, taunting the writer like this. She controlled the world, could make things happen with naught but a word. Maybe he had a deathwish. Or maybe taunting her gave him some semblance of control over his life.

Hope stared at a half-elf as they passed, frowning slightly.

"Hey, Samuel, right?" he asked nonchalantly.

"Yeah. I never caught your name. Not that I really care to," the half-elf shrugged.

"You were nicer in bed," Hope frowned.

"That's my job. You want me to be nice, you know my price."

The half-elf strode away, Hope sighing as he took in Samuel's body from behind. So much for making a friend.

An hour of wandering through the guilded part of Cadara, the tiefling finally found his destination. A tall stone building with several signs around the door. Hope could only read the Rellanic lettering, announcing the place as the Mages Guild. He could feel a strange energy running throughout the building, one that seemed similar to the tiny vibrations in the spell book hidden under his cloak. Was it magic that he felt? Yet another strange ability he had…

Walking up a short flight of stone stairs, the tiefling knocked on the door uncertainly. The sound echoed on the other side, as though magnified.

The door opened with a surprising quietness, startling Hope. A dwarf stood before him, his long grey beard stained with ink, and his green robes keeping the shape of his body a formless secret.

"Ah, you must be the charmer," the dwarf smiled widely.

"Great. Does the whole city know about me?"

"Most likely not. Your… friend, Elluin, is in the Universal room, working on a spell."

"Of course he is. Actually, he told me I could join the Guild," Hope said.

"Hmm. Do you have any magical prowess?"

Hope held up his hand, creating a gold coin that shined in the candlelight of the hall.

"A cheap trick," the dwarf waved off.

"Well, what do you want me to do then?" Hope grumbled.

"Elluin mentioned you cast a spell on him. Can you do the same to me?"

Hope felt a bit of pressure as the dwarf watched him. Performance anxiety? The thought made him chuckle slightly.

"Relax. Just do what you did to the elf."

"Okay…"

The tiefling closed his eyes, thinking. He barely remembered how he had cast the spell. But when he cast the spell Elluin had given him, he had to reach for energy. Maybe it was something like that?

No, he had used confusion to cast the charm.

"Are you sure you need me to cast a spell?" he asked. "I don't know if I can just cast one out of hand."

It worked, the strange arcane energy pushing through his words. The dwarf blinked, shaking his head slightly.

"That is an adequate demonstration. I see Elluin was correct about you. A tiefling who can cast spells without a book. I don't suppose you knew your parents?"

"I did not."

The dwarf nods.

"That is not an uncommon situation with tieflings. You are likely a sorcerer. We do not have much that can help you here, but you are still welcome to join the Guild."

"I do have a spellbook," Hope said, pulling it out.

"Hmm. Perhaps you might find a way to combine innate magic with study… But for now, allow me to show you around. Oh, where are my manners? My name is Barin. I am the steward of this guildhall."

"I'm Hope. It is nice to meet you," the tiefling said as they walked together down a long hall.

 

The elf wiped the liquid off his blade carefully, looking at the finished result. A tiny blade with a whip-like tip was now etched painstakingly into Elluin's sword, beside a tiny sword in the shape of a shield. The two runes that had been on the scroll, recreated in an Elven style.

Elluin let out a quiet sigh, stretching his fingers. Four hours of research followed by another four hours of etching… he was mentally exhausted.

The door to the room opened, Barin stepping inside.

"This is where we keep some of our scrolls. As a novice of the Guild, you won't have access to them yet, unless you pay for them."

Elluin looked up from the table, spotting a cloaked figure walk in behind the dwarf. A figure in his old cloak, to be specific…

So, the tiefling had taken his advice. Their eyes met, Hope looking rather startled to see him there.

Sheathing his blade, Elluin approached the two, handing a few gold to Barin.

"Thanks, that scroll was rather interesting," he said.

"Anytime," Barin nodded, tucking the coins away.

"I'm surprised you're here," Hope said. "Shouldn't you be out hunting the evil werewolf everyone is talking about?"

Elluin's blood froze at the words.

"A werewolf? Where did they see it?" he questioned casually.

"The Whispering Mermaid. And there is no way I'm hunting it down with you," Hope shrugged. "I don't care how much gold they're offering."

"Well, there's no way it would still be here. Probably ran off to the woods."

"Okay. Why don't you go chase it across the land like a puppy running after its mother, save it from death, threaten to kill it when it shows affection, and then abandon it," Hope shrugged.

Elluin scolded at the tiefling.

"Excuse you, you threw a charm at me. What the fuck did you think would happen?"

"I certainly didn't expect you to stalk me."

"Ugh… why do you insist on fighting with me every time we talk?"

"Oh, like you don't start arguments at all," Hope scoffed.

"I don't have time for this…" Elluin sighed.

He pushed past Hope, ignoring the tingle as their arms brushed against each other. The skinwalker needed to escape the city before he was discovered.

"You know, I wouldn't be surprised if you had something to do with this werewolf. Why else would your people call you a skinwalker?"

He couldn't stop himself. The skinwalker lunged at Hope, pinning the tiefling to the wall. His fingers tightened around Hope's throat, a low growl escaping him.

"H...harder…" Hope breathed.

"ENOUGH!"

Brain's voice snapped at them both.

"Ugh…"

Elluin threw the tiefling to the ground, storming away.

Things had just gotten much worse. He might never be able to return now that Barin knew he was a skinwalker.

 

Hope rubbed his neck, watching Elluin hurry away. Messing with the elf was so much fun. Even when Elluin was trying to strangle him.

"He's a skinwalker? Barin asked. "You are certain of this?"

"I heard an elf refer to him as a skinwalker," Hope shrugged. "He's never shown any furry side in front of me."

Barin hummed thoughtfully.

"Well, there is no concrete proof as of yet. I'll get some people to look into it. A skinwalker magus would be a terrible thing."

Hope shrugged. Honestly, he didn't really care, as long as Elluin didn't try to eat him. He should probably stop antagonizing the elf then.

But it was so fun…

"Anyway, that is basically the end of the tour," Barin continued. "You should go find Keeper Maris, and she will aid you in creating a better spell book. The one you have is really only good for travelling."

Hope nodded, swallowing heavily. His throat ached with the sweet pain of Elluin's touch. He had never expected to enjoy that kind of treatment. But his body certainly seemed to like it.

Walking out of the room, the tiefling sighed quietly.

"So, is this the part where we cut to black and come back with me fully trained?" he asked. "Or are you actually going to show my efforts?"

Copyright © 2020 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

10 minutes ago, Baikalisan said:

That’s the end?   Wow not a good way to end 🙁

Yeah, I kinda agree. The idea was to have a fade to black moment and pick up at the start of the next story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 6/10/2020 at 8:27 AM, Yeoldebard said:

Yeah, I kinda agree. The idea was to have a fade to black moment and pick up at the start of the next story.

I think that’s at least two chapters away from a fade to black moment. 😝

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 6/10/2020 at 4:15 PM, Baikalisan said:

That’s the end?   Wow not a good way to end 🙁

 

On 6/10/2020 at 4:27 PM, Yeoldebard said:

Yeah, I kinda agree. The idea was to have a fade to black moment and pick up at the start of the next story.

Marty rushes off to see if the next story has already started... :read:

  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Marty said:

 

Marty rushes off to see if the next story has already started... :read:

It has, and I really need to work on it, but Jakun has stolen my heart and my focus... for now...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..