Jump to content
    Young Sage
  • Author
  • 1,298 Words
  • 1,694 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2011 - Winter - Aftermath Entry

Stupid, Overthought, Unexpected Decisions of the Past - 1. Chapter 1

I typed up the last few sentences and moved the mouse icon over the “Submit” button. I stared at the button for several seconds before finally willing myself to click on it.

There,’ I thought to myself. ‘I finally did it.’

I breathed a huge sigh of relief, glad that I was finally done with all the pressure. No turning back from this now. Although I guess I could always email the site admin and say that my final draft wasn’t my final draft, and that he shouldn’t use it for the upcoming anthology…

“I don’t hear typing anymore,” came a voice from the other room.

Zack came walking in, looking at my computer screen sending the story to the site.

“I take it that means you finally submitted the thing?”

“Yeah,” I replied. “Not like it didn’t take every fiber of my being to go through with it.”

“I don’t get it. You post under a penname and no one knows who you are in real life, so why are you so afraid? Do you think people won’t think your story’s good enough?”

“I don’t think it’s just that. I mean, this is the first time I’ve ever written anything, and not only that, but it’s the first time I’ve ever contributed anything to the internet. I’m exposing myself to millions of people. It’s a whole new chapter to my life and I don’t know if I’m prepared for it.”

“That sounds exactly like the story you were telling me about. So did you just end up making an autobiography for your entry, then?”

“Hell no. If you think I’m scared now, just think what I’d be like if I actually revealed personal information on the web.”

He laughed.

“Yeah, I can totally see you freaking out, breaking out into a cold sweat, claiming you have a fever, stammering…”

“It was my first time!” I retaliated, knowing what he was getting at.

“And you think I was an expert by that point?!” he countered.

“You knew what you were getting into before we went out.”

“And yet it was you who worked up the nerve to ask me out. That’s what I find so strange about you. You’re, like, the most withdrawn, anti-social guy I know, and yet when it really matters, you somehow work up the guts, and where they come from I don’t know, to brave the social world and speak up. Actually talk to people. It amazes me.”

“You make it sound like I’m some sort of hermit.”

“You ARE a hermit! This apartment complex is just one really big, fancy shell for you! That’s why I’m surprised that you even signed up for this website. You don’t even bother making a Facebook page or Twitter account. What made you want to sign up for a writing website, much less wanting to write some themed story for its anthology?”

“I thought the topic they chose was interesting. ‘Aftermath’ can be construed in so many ways.”

“I honestly thought you’d be writing about how we hooked up.”

“It’s supposed to be a short story.”

“You could’ve written it into a short story! How messy and complicated could it have been? There I was, minding my own business, eating my lunch, tuna casserole and breadsticks, mind you, because yes I still remember that day clearly, checking out hot guys, and who should meekly come along and ask if anyone was sitting here but the most timid guy I’ve ever seen.”

I was not pleased with the picture of me he was painting.

“Do you know how hard it was for me to come up to you and…”

“You were beet red,” he interrupted. “Of course I knew you were embarrassed. At the time I didn’t know why. I thought you were just so scared of human interaction that actually going up and talking to people would cause you to pass out.”

He chuckled at his little joke, but I remained not amused.

“Seriously man, you were sweating bullets.”

“I came up to you anyway…”

He interrupted again.

“And I guess that’s what immediately caught my attention,” he said, his eyes meeting mine, his stupid smirk hiding behind them. “It takes a lot of guts to do what you did, especially for someone so shy.”

I was somehow on the defensive now. That little bastard.

“All I did was introduce myself,” I murmured. “Not like I did anything special, like ask you out or anything.”

“Dude, you didn’t have to. All it took was that one little conversation for us to become friends and eventually start going out together. You just had to open up the possibility, and you did.”

There was a brief silence between us.

“I still think writing all that down would be longer than most of the entries,” I mumbled, defending my crumbling belief.

Zack seemed to be in deep thought.

“Now that I think about it, writing about that incident with your parents would’ve been a more gripping story…”

“NO!” I cried.

That was not something I wanted to share with the world.

“Why not? It’d certainly be different than anything else posted on there.”

“Then YOU type it up! Wait, no. Don’t do that. I’ll kill you.”

He laughed at my frustration.

“It’d be funny!” he joked. “C’mon, you know you’ll have everyone in stitches.”

“No, I’m not sharing that with the world.”

“Not like I haven’t told that story on Facebook.”

“You WHAT?!”

“I’m kidding!”

“You better be! Or else the next time you try to get into my pants, I’m snapping that dick in two!”

He visibly winced at the threat. Good.

“Jeez, someone’s in a pissy mood today.”

“I’d like to see you be so willing to tell everyone about an embarrassing story. Especially if it was as bad as my incident.”

“You make it sound like it was the end of the world.”

“It WAS the end of the world! God, I’m afraid to go back for Christmas. What’ll they think? What’ll they say? What if they told my relatives?!”

“It’ll be like the new family Christmas story they tell every Christmas gathering!” he offered, feigning excitement.

He tried to hold in his laughter, but he soon lost it and burst out laughing as I continued to give him an ineffectual death glare. Then the middle finger.

“At least…” he gasped out, still laughing, “at least you took the initiative and told them without me pestering you.”

“I told them something completely different and it just kinda devolved into…that.”

He managed to get himself under control and come up behind me while I had my back momentarily turned to him. He wrapped an arm around me.

“Don’t worry. If they say anything when we come over, I’ll defend you. I got your back.”

It was an incredibly sweet thing to say with just a hint of an apology thrown in there. My testosterone levels rose to defend my masculinity.

“Great, just what I need. A knight in shining armor,” I replied sarcastically.

I knew he knew I knew he could see right past my sarcasm wall.

“Uh huh. You say that now…” he said, leaving his sentence lingering.

He looked up at the computer screen.

“Why does the screen say ‘Item Not Sent’?”

My eyes widened and I swiveled around to look at the screen. Sure enough, there was an error screen, saying all my hard work was gone.

“GODDAMMIT!” I yelled. “I TYPED EVERYTHING IN THE TEXTBOX,TOO! Now I have to retype the whole thing ALL OVER AGAIN!”

Zack laughed again.

“I guess you can say that this is the aftermath of not saving your work!”

He dodged my initial blow. I was gonna hurt him so hard…

 

 

Discuss this story

Copyright © 2011 Young Sage; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2011 - Winter - Aftermath Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

LOL! I love that! I had this grin on my face the whole time I read it. You made it immediate by incorporating something we've all faced; how crazy we all feel the very first time we click that submit button! The interaction between the characters was so very real and your dialogue flow was awesome. Great story and an excellent job, well done!

Link to comment

It's really weird, but I feel like I've read this before! Anyways, I really liked the interaction between the characters and I had to laugh at the ending!

Link to comment

Love breaking the fourth wall! It's a surreal take on story writing that I can relate with. It's a story told about a story for a story! :D

Link to comment

This was amazing! I could really identify with the main character, that angsiety of publishing something for the first time. It is so personal and at the same time not.

This story was different and funny, and very refreshing! I want to read more like this one. Also, I am planning to do a story with this kind of POV and you have now inspired me and given me major "am I good enough" issues.

Link to comment
On 12/17/2011 07:47 AM, Cia said:
LOL! I love that! I had this grin on my face the whole time I read it. You made it immediate by incorporating something we've all faced; how crazy we all feel the very first time we click that submit button! The interaction between the characters was so very real and your dialogue flow was awesome. Great story and an excellent job, well done!
I'm glad I, as the Joker would put it, "put a SMILE on your face." My first time (naughty naughty) was on fanfiction dot net and luckily my insane sense of non-sequitur humor went over well with the audience. Writing dialogue is much easier when you have MPD (don't listen to the liar!). Thanks for the review!
Link to comment
On 12/17/2011 04:44 PM, Renee Stevens said:
It's really weird, but I feel like I've read this before! Anyways, I really liked the interaction between the characters and I had to laugh at the ending!
Weird, as I have not posted this anywhere else and I'm fairly certain I didn't subconsciously copy this from anyone. I like to think there was much pain involved just after the story ended. Glad you liked the story!
Link to comment
On 12/18/2011 02:32 AM, CassieQ said:
That was awesome. Loved the ending and the way the characters interacted with each other! Excellent!
Thanks! Eventually, I might write a story where BOTH characters are named! Wouldn't that be RADICAL?
Link to comment
On 12/18/2011 04:25 PM, W_L said:
Love breaking the fourth wall! It's a surreal take on story writing that I can relate with. It's a story told about a story for a story! :D
I'm pretty sure Inception copied off of me. Whoever wrote that one Donald Duck comic, too. Metafiction, as Slash Work illustrates, seems to be becoming my specialty. I hope I don't get typecasted. Thanks for the review!
Link to comment
On 12/20/2011 12:59 AM, Daniel89 said:
This was amazing! I could really identify with the main character, that angsiety of publishing something for the first time. It is so personal and at the same time not.

This story was different and funny, and very refreshing! I want to read more like this one. Also, I am planning to do a story with this kind of POV and you have now inspired me and given me major "am I good enough" issues.

I never want to make things so personal as to become uncomfortable. Or maybe I do. I forget. As for more stories like this one...I wouldn't suggest my other anthology entries, as they are more somber and/or dark. Um, maybe my other stories? Go, self-promoting! This whole story was written in one, rushed go, so I'm sure whatever you put together will be much better than this. Thanks for the review!
Link to comment
On 12/22/2011 07:40 PM, Foster said:
Very clever and caught my attention. Liked the verbal exchange. Would like to hear more.
Technically, you would like to READ more. It seems the shorter I make my anthology entries, the more attention they receive. Perhaps next time I shall just recite the alphabet 250 times? Thanks for the review!
Link to comment

This was a fun piece to read and you had me really laughing.biggrin.png

 

I normally don´t like reading fiction which exists of mainly dialogue, but you executed it well, and while reading their dialogue you had me guessing and making my own picture of what had happened and how their relationship is in addition to what is actually said.

 

An other likable thing is the reference to the online writing world,and this anthology and its theme- cleverly done. And the main character's worry about giving himself away online feels genuine.

 

A great short read, thank you.

 

(I'm not stalking you, it just looks as if I am unsure.png- promise.)

Link to comment
On 12/29/2011 06:32 AM, sorgbarn said:
This was a fun piece to read and you had me really laughing.biggrin.png

 

I normally don´t like reading fiction which exists of mainly dialogue, but you executed it well, and while reading their dialogue you had me guessing and making my own picture of what had happened and how their relationship is in addition to what is actually said.

 

An other likable thing is the reference to the online writing world,and this anthology and its theme- cleverly done. And the main character's worry about giving himself away online feels genuine.

 

A great short read, thank you.

 

(I'm not stalking you, it just looks as if I am unsure.png- promise.)

I'm always glad when I get 3 reviews in one day (even if it's from the same person)! I always fret when I see my page length go up, only to suddenly realize that most of my chapter is dialogue and thus only SEEMS like it's lengthy. I'm glad my gabbing didn't turn you away from the story. As always, I do seem to love my ambiguity (I like making my readers think and fill in the spaces themselves). Thanks for the reviews!
Link to comment

So naturally I liked the story but now I have one question .... what the hell was the story his parents heard? Inquiring minds want to know! :lol:

Link to comment
On 12/30/2011 04:26 PM, comicfan said:
So naturally I liked the story but now I have one question .... what the hell was the story his parents heard? Inquiring minds want to know! :lol:
It was a very exciting and unexpected incident that came completely out of the blue that no one saw coming (it certainly wasn't pre-planned) that involved
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..