Jump to content
    Zuri
  • Author
  • 388 Words
  • 1,174 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Subconscious Mind - 8. Epilogue

For a long time the first chapter without content notices ^^

Gareth was having stage fright. Even though, it wasn’t his first time. Yet, every time was a first time. Somehow. Every time was different. Every time was unique.

His team leader entered the room.

“Five minutes left,” she fluted.

She was a drag queen and had been for decades. Today, she was going to moderate this event. Normally, she was always hyped up, but in the critical phase before an event, she calmed down and was on an even kneel—professional.

“Just a bigger crowd today,” she added when she saw his worried face in the mirror, and he didn’t answer. “Besides that the usual stuff. You make it rock.”

Even though it didn’t ease all the tension, it helped a bit to have somebody who believed in him and exuded that it was okay to be who you are.

 

So he entered the stage and was welcomed by applause. He couldn’t even see the crowd clearly because the spotlights floodlighted the stage as well as his face. When the applause subsided, he began to speak. To speak about experiences. About his feelings. About being different but being normal, being welcome, being okay at the same time.

“It’s not always how it appears to be. Friends might become enemies, but strangers might be unexpected allies. You are not alone. It does get better. I hope, this speech broadened your horizons a bit. Thank you all for coming!” he ended.

 

After some more applause, the audience got up and left the hall. All but one person. A guy, maybe two years younger than Gareth and shy-looking went in the opposite direction and headed to the stage. When Gareth noticed him, he went down the stage into the auditorium.

“Inspiring speech,” the guy congratulated him in a way, Gareth couldn’t help considering sympathetic.

They talked for a while and Gareth learned that the guy's name was Shawn, and he was gay, too. Shawn was afraid, that his parents would kick him out when they found out about his secret. So Gareth gave him his cell number and told him that he could give a call whenever he needed help or someone to talk to.

 

Shawn left and the light technician turned the spotlights off. Suddenly, Gareth recognized a familiar face in the last row: Stella.

I really hope, y'all liked the story for the most part. Thanks for reading and commenting!
Copyright © 2020 Zuri; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

@drsawzall Thanks a lot for your comment! I'm glad you enjoyed it. The initial idea was if I could write a story like these video games where you have to figure out who you are. But I didn't want to make it too easy. That's when I added additional layers. The idea to Stella was more like a coincidence. I hadn't planned to give her that much screen time in the beginning. Even I couldn't have imagined, she would have the last sentence in the story.

What exactly do you mean by "a road less travelled"?

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Zuri said:

@drsawzall Thanks a lot for your comment! I'm glad you enjoyed it. The initial idea was if I could write a story like these video games where you have to figure out who you are. But I didn't want to make it too easy. That's when I added additional layers. The idea to Stella was more like a coincidence. I hadn't planned to give her that much screen time in the beginning. Even I couldn't have imagined, she would have the last sentence in the story.

What exactly do you mean by "a road less travelled"?

There was a uniqueness to your story, it was a fresh approach that was appreciated! While not necessary my cup of tea, it was something I could appreciate with the different and multiple twists in plot. Your approach gave it a richness all it's own.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Story Reader said:

Interesting story and it makes you wonder about yourself and how others feel. 

I'm happy, you found it interesting :) Thanks for all your reactions on the chapters.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Good story, very relavant today. It would be nice if we could have a story of Stella and her strugle. Looking forward to you next adventure with words and stories.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
57 minutes ago, riaan.bloum said:

Good story, very relavant today. It would be nice if we could have a story of Stella and her strugle. Looking forward to you next adventure with words and stories.

@riaan.bloumThank you 😊 Yeah, such a story would be interesting and educating but as a cis dude I don't thing I'm the right fit for telling that story 😅 My next adventure is already around the corner:

 

Edited by Zuri
Link to comment
Zuri

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, drown said:

I'm happy Stella was there :)

She's there. She came all the way. That's something. But what will be the result of them meeting again?

And why did I include Shawn?

Edited by Zuri
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Just now, Zuri said:

And why did I include Shawn?

Because despite what you said, you do like romance.

Busted.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Zuri

Posted (edited)

Just now, drown said:

Because despite what you said, you do like romance.

Busted.

But will there be romance?

We will never know 😜

That's why I love epilogues :devil:

Btw: Damn, you read so fast. Can't keep up in terms of reading your story 😅

Edited by Zuri
  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Zuri said:

Btw: Damn, you read so fast.

It doesn't happen often. I have a huge backlog :(

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, drown said:

It doesn't happen often. I have a huge backlog :(

And you let Subconscious Mind overtake on the right? 😲

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..