November 18th - Holidays and Observances
(click on the day for details)
Christian feast day:
- Abhai of Hach (Syriac Orthodox Church)
- Alphaeus and Zacchaeus
- Dedication of Saints Peter and Paul
- Elizabeth of Hungary (Church of England)
- Mabyn (Roman Catholic Church and Anglicanism)
- The main day of the Feast of the Virgen de Chiquinquirá or Chinita's Fair (Maracaibo, Venezuela)
- Maudez (Mawes)
- Nazarius (Nazaire)
- Odo of Cluny
- Romanus of Caesarea
- Rose Philippine Duchesne
- November 18 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Day of Army and Victory (Haiti)
- Independence Day (Morocco), celebrates the independence of Morocco from France and Spain in 1956.
- National Day (Oman)
- Proclamation Day of the Republic of Latvia celebrates the independence of Latvia from Russia in 1918.
- Remembrance Day of the Sacrifice of Vukovar in 1991 (Croatia)
Observances (click on the day or week for details)
Fun Observances (2)
Push Button Phone Day
November 18 is Push Button Phone Day. The unofficial holiday commemorates the anniversary of the introduction of the push button phone by Bell Systems in the United States.
First introduced to customers in some areas of Pennsylvania on November 18, 1963, push button phones were the fancy alternatives to rotary dial phones.
Push button phones are phones that use buttons to dial numbers and connect to another telephone user.
Today, the introduction of cell phones and touch screens have made push button phones obsolete.
How to Celebrate?
- If you can get your hands on a push button phone, try and install it and use it to make phone calls.
- Learn more about the science and history behind these phones.
Did You Know…
…that the first words spoken over a telephone were “Mr. Watson, come here, I want to see you”? They were spoken by the inventor of the telephone, Alexander Graham Bell to his assistant Thomas Watson.
Use Less Stuff Day
The Thursday before Thanksgiving day is Use Less Stuff Day.
In anticipation of some of the year's biggest and busiest shopping days in the United States - Black Friday and Cyber Monday, the unofficial holiday encourages people to buy and use fewer things in order to reduce environmental waste and lower their energy use.
25% More Trash
The holiday was created as a response to the huge amounts of trash created by people around the U.S. during the holiday season that begins with Thanksgiving day and ends with New Year celebrations. Some estimates show that trash production in the U.S. increases by 25% during the winter holiday season. This means that American families generate about 4 to 5 million ton of extra waste in just a matter of a month!
Friday after U.S. Thanksgiving is Buy Nothing Day.
How to Celebrate?
Celebrating Use Less Stuff Day is easy - just reduce, reuse and recycle. Here are some more ways to make your holiday season a green holiday season:
- Make a conscious decision to reduce your consumption during the holidays. Instead of buying physical gifts, give them your time. Volunteer to babysit or help a friend with house improvement projects.
- Have a friend who likes movies or the theater? Buy them tickets to go watch a film or a play as a holiday gift.
- Give a donation in your friend's or family member's name to their favorite charitable organization.
- Hand make gifts and wrap them in re-usable or biodegradable packaging.
- Send electronic greeting cards instead of paper holiday cards to your family and friends.
- Host a garage or yard sale and get rid of all the things you have not used in the past few months.
Did You Know…
…that about 38,000 miles of ribbon is used and discarded around the holidays every year? This is enough ribbon to tie a bow around the Earth!
One day a duck walks in a store and asks the manager if they sell grapes.
The manager says, "No, we don't sell grapes."
The duck goes home and comes back the next day and asks the same question. The manager says the same thing again, "No, we do not sell grapes."
The duck goes home, comes back the next day, and asks the manager if they sell grapes. This time the manager says, "No, we don't sell grapes! If you ask one more time, I will nail your beak to the floor!"
The duck goes home. It comes back the next day and asks the manager if he has any nails.
The manager says, "No, I don't have any nails."
The duck says, "Okay, good. Do you sell grapes?"
Son: "Dad, when will I be old enough so I don't have to ask mom for her permission to go out?"
Dad: "Son, even I haven't grown old enough to go out without her permission!"
A 7 year-old and a 4 year-old are in their bedroom. "You know what?" says the 7 year-old, "I think it's time we started swearing. When we go downstairs for breakfast, I'll swear first, then you."
"Okay," replies the 4 year-old.
In the kitchen, when the mother asks the 7 year-old what he wants for breakfast, he answers, "I'll have Coco Pops, bitch."
*WHACK* He goes flying out of his chair, crying his eyes out.
The mother looks at the 4 year-old & sternly asks, "And what do you want?"
"Dunno," he replies, "But it won't be fucking Coco Pops."