October 26th 2023 - Holidays and Observances
(click on the day for details)
- Accession Day (Jammu and Kashmir, India)
- Angam Day (Nauru)
- Armed Forces Day (Benin)
Christian feast day:
- Alfred the Great (Catholic Church, Anglican Church, Eastern Orthodox Church)
- Amandus of Strasbourg
- Beóán (Bean) of Mortlach
- Blessed Celine Borzecka
- Cuthbert of Canterbury
- Demetrius of Thessaloniki
- Eadfrith of Leominster
- Eata of Hexham
- Pope Evaristus (Aristus)
- Fulk of Pavia (Roman Catholic Church)
- Philipp Nicolai, Johann Heermann and Paul Gerhardt (Lutheran Church)
- Rusticus of Narbonne
- Witta (Albinus) of Büraburg
- Eastern Orthodox liturgics
- National Day, celebrates the anniversary of the Declaration of Neutrality in 1955. (Austria)
- Intersex Awareness Day
Observances (click on the day, BD, or week for details)
Howl at the Moon Day and Night
October 26 is Howl At the Moon Day and Night.
We were unable to figure out what the unknown creators of this made-up holiday aim to accomplish, but we can only assume that it encourages people to go out during the day or night and howl at the Moon.
Howl Like a Wolf
The name of the holiday comes from the belief that wolves howl at the Moon. According to lore, on a full Moon night, wolves upturn their head towards the Moon and communicate with it by howling. Images of wolves with their heads turned towards the sky, howling with a full Moon in the background are commonplace today.
There is, however, absolutely no scientific evidence connecting Moon phases and wolf activities. Research has shown that wolves howl to communicate with the rest of their pack. Because they are nocturnal - they hunt for food at night and sleep during the day - they tend to howl at night. They turn their heads up when howling because doing so helps carry their sounds further.
How to Celebrate?
- Learn more about wolves and their species.
- Use the day as an excuse to take a night time hike with friends. Remember to let people know where you are going.
Did You Know…
…that wolves are the ancestors of present-day dogs?
Have you played the updated kids' game? I Spy With My Little Eye . . . Phone.
I ate a clock yesterday, it was very time-consuming.
A perfectionist walked into a bar...apparently, the bar wasn’t set high enough.
You know it is going to be a bad day when the letters in your alphabet soup spell D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R.
A fire hydrant has H-2-O on the inside and K-9-P on the outside.
Edited by sandrewn