Gay Authors Writing Resources
This page is a collection of links and resources provided by your fellow authors as a way to aid you in your writing. If you have any suggestions that should be on this page, please post them in this topic:
(You must be a member of the free, Writer's Circle Club.)
- Grammarly - http://grammarly.com/ - Software to help take the edge off the sharp red pencil of your editor. A good starting point that's always improving.
A Guide to Proper Comma Use - https://www.businessinsider.com/a-guide-to-proper-comma-use-2013-9 - An almost too-limiting technical viewpoint on commas, but an excellent starting point.
Rules for Comma Usage - https://guidetogrammar.org/grammar/commas.htm - Broader comma coverage.
Using Semicolons - http://writing2.richmond.edu/writing/wweb/semicolon.html - A short and to the point discussion of semicolons.
Lay or Lie? - http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000233.htm - A succinct outline of the subject without all of the usual excess that simply makes it more confusing.
Set or Sit? - http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000250.htm - An outline of how to use the two verbs, another problematic pair.
May Vs Might - https://writingexplained.org/may-vs-might-difference - A discussion on the differences between the two
Chicago Manual of Style - http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/home.html
Blue Book of Grammar - http://www.grammarbook.com/
Purdue OWL - https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/
Grammar Girl - http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/grammar-girl
Writing.com - https://www.writing.com/
Writer's Digest - https://www.writersdigest.com/-(great newsletter!)
- Writing Fix - https://writingfix.com/
- Creative Writing Now - https://www.creative-writing-now.com/
- Sci-fi Writing Ideas - https://www.scifiideas.com/category/writing-2/writing-advice/ - Writing Advice, also has fun Alien Name Generator
- Encyclopedia of Science Fiction - https://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/
- Encyclopedia.com - https://www.encyclopedia.com/
- World Map - https://www.worldatlas.com/
- Merriam-Webster - https://www.merriam-webster.com/
- Publisher's Weekly - https://www.publishersweekly.com/
- There Are No Rules - https://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/there-are-no-rules - (blog by Writer's Digest)
- BookEnds, LLC - https://bookendslitagency.blogspot.com/
- World Anvil - https://www.worldanvil.com/
- SFWA Questions - http://www.sfwa.org/2009/08/fantasy-worldbuilding-questions/
- Habitable Zone - https://infogalactic.com/info/Circumstellar_habitable_zone
- Avatar's Pandora - http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Pandora
- Writers are World Creators - http://theeditorsblog.net/2011/07/21/writers-are-world-creators/
- World Building Tips - https://www.nownovel.com/blog/world-building-tips-engaging-settings/
- Donjon Tools: https://donjon.bin.sh/ - All sorts of random generators for RPGs but can be used for writing
- DrivThruRPG: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/index.php - Paid and Free gaming stuff that can also be used in writing all genres
- DungeonFog: https://www.dungeonfog.com/ - Online Map editor for your stories and adventures.
- Greek Mythology: http://www.theoi.com
- Norse Mythology: https://norse-mythology.org
- Fantastic Bestiary: http://www.lizaphoenix.com/encyclopedia/
- General World Mythologies: http://www.pantheon.org
- Current Works in Fantasy Fiction Media: http://www.legendariummedia.com
- Canva - https://www.canva.com/learn/graphic-design-tips-non-designers/- Image Design for Non-graphic Artists
- Nik Collection -https://nikcollection.dxo.com/ -Tools for improving images
- Digital Trends - https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-free-photo-editing-software/ -Latest digital image tools
- Writing Articles Focused on Science Fiction and Fantasy - https://www.writersdigest.com/writing-articles/by-writing-genre/science-fiction-fantasy
- 10 Ways to Hook Your Reader - https://www.writersdigest.com/online-editor/10-ways-hook-reader-reel-good - Some great ways to hook the reader right away.
- What Makes Monsters Scary - http://www.writersdigest.com/online-editor/writing-monsters-scary-qualities - A nice blog on monsters that is adapted from a good book on the same subject.
Subreddits for Writers
- Character Development: https://www.reddit.com/r/CharacterDevelopment/
- Fantasy Writers: https://www.reddit.com/r/fantasywriters/
- SciFi Writers: https://www.reddit.com/r/scifiwriting/
- Worldbuilding: https://www.reddit.com/r/worldbuilding/
Writing Sex Scenes
- Dynamic Verbs for Sex Scenes (and others): http://anyabreton.com/2013/02/25/dynamic-verbs-for-sex-scenes/ - Name says it all, great words.
The Ultimate Guide to Writing Smut Fic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9661958/1/The-Ultimate-Guide-to-Writing-Smut-Fic - Name says it all.
Writing Erotic Sex Scenes: https://anyabreton.com/2012/05/10/writing-erotic-sex-scenes/ - Name says it all
- Sci-Fi Name Generator- https://donjon.bin.sh/scifi/name - A handy way to generate sci-fi names
- Fantasy Name Generator- http://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/ - A handy way to generate names of people and places
- How to Create a Character Profile: https://www.writerswrite.com/journal/jun98/how-to-create-a-character-profile-6986 - A different way of writing a profile
- Behind the Name: https://www.behindthename.com/ - It has names from around the world, sort by ethnicity, and usage.
This page was last updated on April 20, 2019.